• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cards of Semidar

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just got cards off semidar, was this intended or a bug? looks like another server birth going to be worthless if not fixed soon.

origin through hawkwind quest

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Can we see a picture of the type you got?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
classic its almost as if they dont even know anything about the game, its history or what matters to some of us... sad to hear.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also got "cards" from the turtle dragon spawn on origin. sorry, no pic.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah people have been getting a couple days just thought it was part of expansion

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Also have gotten the cards on other spawns not on the Hawkwind quest.

They are VERY small and hard to see.

upload_2015-10-1_23-22-19.png
upload_2015-10-1_23-22-52.png

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unless you delete them retroactively, which would probably delete all items using that art, they should just be left in as a "surprise."

Just fixing the "bug" guarantees a payday for those who are now actively farming them.

This is coming from someone who has a full set of playing cards, btw.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless you delete them retroactively, which would probably delete all items using that art, they should just be left in as a "surprise."

Just fixing the "bug" guarantees a payday for those who are now actively farming them.

This is coming from someone who has a full set of playing cards, btw.
who doesn't like to play cards, now where is that circle tarot spawn gonna be

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
*wonders what the focus group actually did*
Not everything was up for testing in the focus group. Can't tell what was but no need to blame the testers, when you don't know how it did work in the focus group. Focus mean, you have focus on some parts of it, just like Test Center not got all of the stuff for testing at first patching.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Leave the cards in ..... gives something decent.

And at this point unless they find a way to delete all of them it's really not fair to others... as for the rares community meh.... that is what 10 people that might still have the cards.. big whoop.... otherwise you tick off the bunchs that have already gotten them... and others that bought them already.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a bug. Investigating.
What is the plan to deal with the bugged items entering the game?

Leave them?
Delete them?
Revert? (Better do it sooner rather than later)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not everything was up for testing in the focus group. Can't tell what was but no need to blame the testers, when you don't know how it did work in the focus group. Focus mean, you have focus on some parts of it, just like Test Center not got all of the stuff for testing at first patching.
My statement wasnt blaming testers... it was wondering what they did....

Reading Comprehension, its an important tool in communication.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Simple course of action. Get rid of the chance of any new drops happening. Leave the drops that have happened.

Learn how to release things with out bugs... Good luck with the last bit. :)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Context is just as important... now what's the big deal?
Context -
  1. the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed

For Example... If you dont understand the context of ones post you probably shouldnt respond to such a post.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At this point they may as well leave them in. Origin and Izumo are not test shards, once the patch goes worldwide these cards are free to go all over. And people will be farming the hell out of them in the meantime. No point closing the door after the horse gets out.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Sighs* I literally just spent 200m on some cards a week ago lol. Seriously though how does that even happen? How does an item that doesnt even drop in game as loot or anything, end up on somethings loot table? I could understand if it was an item that already drops in game somewhere.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
cards sold for a lot recently, all that money someone(s) spent now becomes worthless if these are not deleted. so sad, devs do the right thing here and delete them. things go wrong, problems occur, if u do not delete, u are the problem.

Last edited:

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cards sold for a lot recently, all that money someone(s) spent now becomes worthless if these are not deleted. so sad, devs do the right thing here and delete them. things go wrong, problems occur, if u do not delete, u are the problem.
There is no way to tell the new cards apart from the old ones as far as in-game coding goes. Deleting them is not gonna happen as it would also wipe out the originals.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's funny to watch rares collectors cringe when value of something drops.

That's the name of the game. Besides a lot of these rares were duped at some point anyways.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
this is why i don't buy and sell rares.
sooner or later everything in game gets re-purposed or re-released be it intentional or not.

as someone who dosnt have a dog in this fight id just like to add that i think its kinda neat that they are dropping.
we could just easily add some lore to it..... the Savages in the new land like to play cards, its how they resolve disputes. There, fixed.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I recently obtained some cards and am still recovering from the loss of 2 of my ceramic mugs (the 3rd is left handed) probably because when introducing the coffee no developers were aware of their rarity. I am most definitely not a happy bunny. I still remember when they had to introduce the rarity O to my Ilshenar T/Maps, this too was probably related to lack of game knowledge but at least they were able to rectify the situation. The ceramics are obviously now a lost cause and the cards would seem to be going the same way. Sad really that it is the true rares which get affected rather than the instant rares generated at events.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like I get told with most of my gripes...

1. It's old code, poop occurs
2. Too late now
3. Adapt!
4. Caan't program a game just to make a few old timers happy.

Theere, I think that covers it

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Game art shouldn't be "rare" to keep a tiny handful of people "happy."

Saying that the game shouldn't ever use a piece of art because "18 years ago, a half dozzen per shard were mistakenly stealable and now sell for obscene gold" is asinine. Holding art hostage because it might "devalue" three people's pixel collections is ridiculously arrogant.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Saying that the game shouldn't ever use a piece of art because "18 years ago, a half dozzen per shard were mistakenly stealable and now sell for obscene gold" is asinine. Holding art hostage because it might "devalue" three people's pixel collections is ridiculously arrogant.
I would imagine you might feel very differently if you had paid that "obscene" amount of gold for something that became worthless. Furthermore, just because something isn't important to you, does not make it any less relevant. Devaluing rares is and should be a concern of the dev team. A significant portion of UO's economy is revolved around them. Should they make decisions that hurt the game in favor of a few rares? Of course not. But really, can are REALLY hurt us? Even if they wanted to give out cards, they could easily use a slightly different graphic and accomplish the same thing.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The owners of these items should feel honored they had an 18 year head start on everyone else. I feel a small community taking in-game assets hostage and keeping the devs from using them in meaningful ways, or simply as house deco is wrong. I think more of the old items should be added in as quest rewards, boss drops, and other in game methods over time.
There's plenty other items out there that are proper rares without holding art hostage. such as EM rares and old bugged miscolored items etc.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would imagine you might feel very differently if you had paid that "obscene" amount of gold for something that became worthless. Furthermore, just because something isn't important to you, does not make it any less relevant. Devaluing rares is and should be a concern of the dev team. A significant portion of UO's economy is revolved around them. Should they make decisions that hurt the game in favor of a few rares? Of course not. But really, can are REALLY hurt us? Even if they wanted to give out cards, they could easily use a slightly different graphic and accomplish the same thing.

I imagine i'd be angry at first having paid so much for a suddenly worthless item. But the devs have always cautioned that rares are a risky market. They aren't going to back off on holding new content because a small group want to hold some items hostage.
Rares with the exception of items made to be rare [EM items] are a volatile and risky market. Many "true rares" have been devalued over the years, such as mallet and chisels, open books, etc. This is not the first nor is it the last time.

I have no problem with them releasing more unused art into the game as stuff that can be obtained. And this includes now rare items.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would imagine you might feel very differently if you had paid that "obscene" amount of gold for something that became worthless.
Oh, its happened to me in the past, more than once. I'm still in favor of art being released to the masses, not hoarded by a few just 'cuz.

Furthermore, just because something isn't important to you, does not make it any less relevant. Devaluing rares is and should be a concern of the dev team. A significant portion of UO's economy is revolved around them.
:rolleyes:

Please. That's a bogus .01%er argument. The economy for most players revolves around powerscrolls, a few high-end artifacts and boss drops and the occasional EM item.

Random pieces of basic deco art shouldn't be off limits because a few self-important types deem it so. Its poor game design to continue to pander to the digitally wealthy.

Should they make decisions that hurt the game in favor of a few rares? Of course not. But really, can are REALLY hurt us? Even if they wanted to give out cards, they could easily use a slightly different graphic and accomplish the same thing.
:facepalm: You somewhat under cut your own argument with the first two sentences there.

So create more art just to appease a handful of people so they can hoard a few pixels that 99% of the rest of the players will never even see? Uhm. No. That's bad decision making right there.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
For some of us the "game" is buying, selling, decorating, and collecting rares. Just eliminate taming one day and see if there's any kick back. How about just giving me 2 pet slots and the ability to tame and control any animal with zero skill. If we can trash one person's game why not do it to the other activities? Broadsword has no problem reusing art now. The very least is rename it, flip the art a new direction, jazz the color a little, easy stuff and still preserve UO history. If you have 3 cards on the table cut one out or add one. You still have basically the same thing and you haven't messed up the rares market. Just cause it's not "your game" doesn't mean it isn't important. They just trashed last years Halloween rares, their lack of concern currently is high enough without encouragement.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps it is a bacon for valentines exigency!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For some of us the "game" is buying, selling, decorating, and collecting rares. Just eliminate taming one day and see if there's any kick back. How about just giving me 2 pet slots and the ability to tame and control any animal with zero skill. If we can trash one person's game why not do it to the other activities?
I do the rares thing, I just acknowledge its not a valid reason to withhold art. Rares collecting not equivocal to a skillset/template.

Broadsword has no problem reusing art now. The very least is rename it, flip the art a new direction, jazz the color a little, easy stuff and still preserve UO history.
:facepalm: Owning a server birth anything isn't "history." A Seer item would be history. An EM item would be history. An engraved wedding invitation/ring would be history. An item some random person swiped off the map due to shoddy coding =/= history. Nice try though.

If you have 3 cards on the table cut one out or add one. You still have basically the same thing and you haven't messed up the rares market. Just cause it's not "your game" doesn't mean it isn't important.
Yes, let's demand they make new art just to appease a tiny, tiny minority of players.

Again, hoarding art because a few collectors might get their knickers in a twist is bad decision making. Consider all the art we don't have access to because once upon a time they might have been a server birth and are now locked away collecting dust in someone's house.

We aren't talking about the UO equivalent of a Faberge egg, we're talking about playing cards and the like.

They just trashed last years Halloween rares, their lack of concern currently is high enough without encouragement.
o_O

The crystal skulls weren't "rares" by any stretch of the imagination. Nor were the trade-in Doom rewards...less common than say a Blackthorn arty, sure...but definitely not "ZOMG rarez!" Simply because some people want them to be rare so they can charge a lot for them, doesn't actually make it so.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Just a reminder that rubble also exists with that graphic...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please. That's a bogus .01%er argument. The economy for most players revolves around powerscrolls, a few high-end artifacts and boss drops and the occasional EM item.

Random pieces of basic deco art shouldn't be off limits because a few self-important types deem it so. Its poor game design to continue to pander to the digitally wealthy.
I'd agree with you, 10 years ago. However in todays game if i had to guess id say about 30% of players are involved in some sort of rares collecting. While i dont think its the end of the world if a few server births become common items (because theres tons of other things to collect now) at the same time it would be foolhardy for the devs to ignore what has become a very mainstream aspect of UOs modern playerbase.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I do the rares thing, I just acknowledge its not a valid reason to withhold art. Rares collecting not equivocal to a skillset/template.

:facepalm: Owning a server birth anything isn't "history." A Seer item would be history. An EM item would be history. An engraved wedding invitation/ring would be history. An item some random person swiped off the map due to shoddy coding =/= history. Nice try though.

Yes, let's demand they make new art just to appease a tiny, tiny minority of players.

Again, hoarding art because a few collectors might get their knickers in a twist is bad decision making. Consider all the art we don't have access to because once upon a time they might have been a server birth and are now locked away collecting dust in someone's house.

We aren't talking about the UO equivalent of a Faberge egg, we're talking about playing cards and the like.

o_O

The crystal skulls weren't "rares" by any stretch of the imagination. Nor were the trade-in Doom rewards...less common than say a Blackthorn arty, sure...but definitely not "ZOMG rarez!" Simply because some people want them to be rare so they can charge a lot for them, doesn't actually make it so.
Your simply wrong. You don't respect the rare collectors play style. Plain and simple. Whatever you say, it's simply not your thing so to you it isn't valid. Complete hogwash. Every point you make is nonsense from a perspective of a person that has no consideration for the vast number of players that collect. You want the cool stuff with no time or effort put into it.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd agree with you, 10 years ago. However in todays game if i had to guess id say about 30% of players are involved in some sort of rares collecting. While i dont think its the end of the world if a few server births become common items (because theres tons of other things to collect now) at the same time it would be foolhardy for the devs to ignore what has become a very mainstream aspect of UOs modern playerbase.
I'm not saying completely ignore the rares community, I'm just saying don't intentionally pander to it by withholding graphics simply because someone somewhere has it as a serverbirth. People seem to enjoy getting the cards, so what if few people's serverbirths a now worth less. Think of it like the stock market.

Your simply wrong. You don't respect the rare collectors play style. Plain and simple. Whatever you say, it's simply not your thing so to you it isn't valid. Complete hogwash. Every point you make is nonsense from a perspective of a person that has no consideration for the vast number of players that collect. You want the cool stuff with no time or effort put into it.

Reading comprehension is a lost art. I have rares, lots of rares. Including all 3 of the cards (both hands and the deck, as I stated many posts above) I simply don't sell rares often, and tend to buy them anonymously or through trusted intermediaries.

I don't support the elitist, greedy, self important rares collectors that consistently lobby the devs to limit the access of the unwashed rabble. Nor the culture of me, me, me that's grown up around them.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The game shouldn't be limited from using certain art just because back in the day it was made into an unintentional rare called serverbirths.

There are rares that are designed to be rare from the starting point, and serverbirths aren't that.

Thats just my opinion.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm not saying completely ignore the rares community, I'm just saying don't intentionally pander to it by withholding graphics simply because someone somewhere has it as a serverbirth. People seem to enjoy getting the cards, so what if few people's serverbirths a now worth less. Think of it like the stock market.

Reading comprehension is a lost art. I have rares, lots of rares. Including all 3 of the cards (both hands and the deck, as I stated many posts above) I simply don't sell rares often, and tend to buy them anonymously or through trusted intermediaries.

I don't support the elitist, greedy, self important rares collectors that consistently lobby the devs to limit the access of the unwashed rabble. Nor the culture of me, me, me that's grown up around them.
I don't like people with the I want everything for free for no effort mentality. I don't like people taking 18 years of UO history and flushing it down the toilet. I realize Broardsword has "new art issues". But they can make art when they put their mind to it. The recycled and now worthless skulls from last year looked good even though they were grossly over sized. I liked the "I've got mysterious hidden buyer guys", cute lol. Whatever... move along.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
by not deleting these cards, it will encourage not reporting things and capitalize on it while destroying another item where people have paid a lot of gold for. what item will be next. this isn't the first time and wont be the last. this bug wasn't reported for days.
i was trying to get a mastery book from the quest and only got primer but i notice a drop when senidar died, its was cards. reported about this. soon a fire storm of people giving their desires but not considering other people. i asked the devs to remove hawkwind and put up clicky to get book. this was not done and i still do not have a book. i don't know what to say on how this was handled. i just know what i would do if i was a dev. good luck to all.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game shouldn't be limited from using certain art just because back in the day it was made into an unintentional rare called serverbirths.

There are rares that are designed to be rare from the starting point, and serverbirths aren't that.

Thats just my opinion.
So what would be your opinion on the new robe? the 15th anniversary robe was "designed to be rare" to commemorate 15 years of the game. the major draw of it was the graphic, which now cant be differentiated from the spawning one with same look. (yes i know they have different name, but it held most its draw because of the unique graphic)