• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cards of Semidar

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what would be your opinion on the new robe? the 15th anniversary robe was "designed to be rare" to commemorate 15 years of the game. the major draw of it was the graphic, which now cant be differentiated from the spawning one with same look. (yes i know they have different name, but it held most its draw because of the unique graphic)
Different graphics

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they look the same to me. i guess theres some extremely small differences. like the liche deco wall blood tile looks slightly different than server birth variety, but the value of the serverbirth was greatly diminished cause no one really notices those small differences.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't like people with the I want everything for free for no effort mentality.
I love people who throw out this little chestnut when they don't have a valid argument and they know it. Nobody has asked for a rares easy button, so put away the strawmen.

I don't like people taking 18 years of UO history and flushing it down the toilet.
Back this statement up. Oh, wait, you can't because its BS.

THERE IS NO STORIED MYTHOS/HISTORY TO SERVR BIRTH RARES.

Only rares with history are the ones designed with it built in. Seer/EM/Global event items and player-specific rares are the only ones that have it. That skull mug you bought at a rares fest a few years ago, notsomuch.

I realize Broardsword has "new art issues". But they can make art when they put their mind to it. The recycled and now worthless skulls from last year looked good even though they were grossly over sized.
Again NONE of that art was ever meant to be rare. Not in any way, shape, or form.

I liked the "I've got mysterious hidden buyer guys", cute lol. Whatever... move along.
Again, reading comprehension is important. I rarely sell, as in almost never. If I buy something its gerally a direct sale, through MOA, through one of the two rares dealers I trust, or on a character few people know is me.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
100s ...maybe 1000s will have dropped b4 the first person reported it....so much for bug testing/reporting

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Only rares with history are the ones designed with it built in. Seer/EM/Global event items and player-specific rares are the only ones that have it. That skull mug you bought at a rares fest a few years ago, notsomuch.

I get your point, but it comes down to definition. server births would better fit under a defintion of pre-historic rather than historic. are people who like dinosaurs less important than people who like the civil war?

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When this game began NOTHING was made to be or intended to be 'rare'. The situation evolved as the game grew older. In time some items became rare and the market for them was born. A number of players began to collect them and again, in time, the number has increased to a point where it is a recognised aspect of the game with its own section in the forum. I would simply point out that this being so, it is poor practice not to recognise that these players enjoy that aspect of the game. It was accepted with the Ilshenar T/Maps and the artefact 0 differentiated them from the ordinary maps and they remained rare. They did not have to change the art . The same thing applies to the ceramic mugs, there was no need to change the art a simple thing like naming them china mugs would have accomplished the same thing. This applies to all items however they were first introduced. No need for new or different art, a change of designation is all that is needed. A Kettle remains rare because later ones using the same art became cauldrons. A tray is still a rare they became Travesty's fine teakwood tray. Is this so difficult?.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
by not deleting these cards, it will encourage not reporting things and capitalize on it while destroying another item where people have paid a lot of gold for. what item will be next. this isn't the first time and wont be the last. this bug wasn't reported for days.
i was trying to get a mastery book from the quest and only got primer but i notice a drop when senidar died, its was cards. reported about this. soon a fire storm of people giving their desires but not considering other people. i asked the devs to remove hawkwind and put up clicky to get book. this was not done and i still do not have a book. i don't know what to say on how this was handled. i just know what i would do if i was a dev. good luck to all.
So you threw your cards away right?.....for reporting sake?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
When this game began NOTHING was made to be or intended to be 'rare'. The situation evolved as the game grew older. In time some items became rare and the market for them was born. A number of players began to collect them and again, in time, the number has increased to a point where it is a recognised aspect of the game with its own section in the forum. I would simply point out that this being so, it is poor practice not to recognise that these players enjoy that aspect of the game. It was accepted with the Ilshenar T/Maps and the artefact 0 differentiated them from the ordinary maps and they remained rare. They did not have to change the art . The same thing applies to the ceramic mugs, there was no need to change the art a simple thing like naming them china mugs would have accomplished the same thing. This applies to all items however they were first introduced. No need for new or different art, a change of designation is all that is needed. A Kettle remains rare because later ones using the same art became cauldrons. A tray is still a rare they became Travesty's fine teakwood tray. Is this so difficult?.
A lot of original rares were obtained through bugs that allowed them to take or steal items that were never meant to be obtainable.

The rares that came from game evolution were never worth very much.

Every "rare" these days are tomorrows event drop on shard "X".

A good amount of the original rares were duped so heavily you could never tell what you were getting and drove the value down significantly that they weren't really worth having anymore.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every "rare" these days are tomorrows event drop on shard "X".
not true.

examples:
"hole"
SA "lava" tile
items that mesanna drops and forgets to lock down (EM ones now have glue)
EM items that slip thru the cracks (like recent jet black hooded shroud dropped on Origin)
oddball / bugged items that arent able to be recreated (true "glitch" items)
Global / holiday events example: named bones
limited time quests
quest items that can be kept, but are later fixed
quest items / rewards from extinct quests (example: skill tudor statuette)
Reward items given by mesanna to replace other lost items (like when all the rubble got deleted)

So no not all rares come from EM events. the most interesting ones Do Not, the ones that most collectors start collecting do not.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We don't need any new art if it's gonna look like what all has been introducedc in the last several years...Out of perspective, too big, cartoony, etc...that's why I wont complain anymore about rehued and renamed stuff...at least it matches the game.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
not true.

examples:
"hole"
SA "lava" tile
items that mesanna drops and forgets to lock down (EM ones now have glue)
EM items that slip thru the cracks (like recent jet black hooded shroud dropped on Origin)
oddball / bugged items that arent able to be recreated (true "glitch" items)
Global / holiday events example: named bones
limited time quests
quest items that can be kept, but are later fixed
Reward items given by mesanna to replace other lost items (like when all the rubble got deleted)

So no not all rares come from EM events. the most interesting ones Do Not, the ones that most collectors start collecting do not.

I didn't really mean that literally but thanks. However most of those on the list arent rares and only reinforces the point these aren't meant to be had.

But I digress.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@OREOGL how are the situations i listed not rares? just wondering. know it comes down to personal definition. like some people consider blaze cus / sparkles / lich deco "rares" even tho they still spawn. as long as you cant get it, its a rare to me, as defined by the rares forum.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@OREOGL how are the situations i listed not rares? just wondering. know it comes down to personal definition. like some people consider blaze cus / sparkles / lich deco "rares" even tho they still spawn. as long as you cant get it, its a rare to me, as defined by the rares forum.

holiday items, mesanna rewards, names bones etc aren't rare because they're either still obtainable or the market was flooded with them.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I love people who throw out this little chestnut when they don't have a valid argument and they know it. Nobody has asked for a rares easy button, so put away the strawmen.

Again NONE of that art was ever meant to be rare. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Again, reading comprehension is important. I rarely sell, as in almost never. If I buy something its gerally a direct sale, through MOA, through one of the two rares dealers I trust, or on a character few people know is me.
I read it all very carefully and DIDN'T BELIEVE YOU or accept your nonsense argument as valid. Do you walk into your mechanic and tell him how to rebuild your engine? I don't because I wouldn't know what I was talking about. Your lecturing a rares guy about rares, lol. EVERYTHING I do in this game is really about rares. I collect rares, I decorate with rares, I sell rares. When I'm hunting, I'm hunting rares or doing something to get something to trade or sell for rares. About a week ago I did a four person trade to finally get the thing someone wanted to get the thing I wanted, lol. It's all I do. You have the nerve to lecture ME? How dare you. In my EXPERT opinion you don't know what your talking about, don't collect, have no respect in any way for the collector community, which is probably the majority on the UO community to some degree. Rares collecting was accepted as a "thing" and a legitimate past time in UO by the devs long ago. Yeah they fought it for a couple years at first. Now EMs drop pink bunnies and golden hissing cats. Rares collecting is REAL Virginia! Since it is REAL how about putting some effort into not messing up my accepted game play style by not trashing it releasing old used art? IF you do, at least clearly change it up? Comprehend that.

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Could have made the carvable pumpkins green this year and done. Would have been good enough.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Publish 90 Update to Origin & Izumo
Posted on October 3, 2015 by UO Dev Team
A big thank you to everyone that has taken the first steps in the Time of Legends! The following updates have been deployed to Origin & Izumo,

• Tweaked stats and AIs for the Dragon Turtle.
  • Fixed an issue where players who had consumed a mastery primer before completing the Mastery Quest were not receiving the mastery book.
  • Adjusted the loot on the Dragon Turtle.
  • Tweaked stats on tribe NPCs.
  • Peerless encounters now have a chance at being an objective in the Mastery Quest.
  • Treasures of Doom is now active on Origin & Izumo.
  • The Mastery Quest will now update objectives every hour and will remain the same for each player during that time based on account entitlements and VvV status.
  • Fixed issue where Hawkwind’s Mastery quest was delivering cards instead of a Mastery Book on completion.
  • Any cards received in error have been converted into Mastery Books.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Publish 90 Update to Origin & Izumo
Posted on October 3, 2015 by UO Dev Team
A big thank you to everyone that has taken the first steps in the Time of Legends! The following updates have been deployed to Origin & Izumo,

• Tweaked stats and AIs for the Dragon Turtle.
  • Fixed an issue where players who had consumed a mastery primer before completing the Mastery Quest were not receiving the mastery book.
  • Adjusted the loot on the Dragon Turtle.
  • Tweaked stats on tribe NPCs.
  • Peerless encounters now have a chance at being an objective in the Mastery Quest.
  • Treasures of Doom is now active on Origin & Izumo.
  • The Mastery Quest will now update objectives every hour and will remain the same for each player during that time based on account entitlements and VvV status.
  • Fixed issue where Hawkwind’s Mastery quest was delivering cards instead of a Mastery Book on completion.
  • Any cards received in error have been converted into Mastery Books.
I fully realized and accepted this was a mistake when they released the cards. Someone typed a zero instead of a 2 in books of code, lol. But Dot and I expanded on the topic in general :) I appreciate they fixed it and once again recognized and respected the rares community (At least in this specific case). I was confident Kyronix was on top of it by his post in this thread. Thank you for the update.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder how many mails Mesanna got from her beloved rares community threatening to close all of the bazillion totally active accounts if their 18 year old pixel crack now wasn't longer worth gold about 3 months of gametime.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
my cards turn into a book now yahoo got book. devs did the right thing. I know things don't always go right when new stuff is added. lets stop exploiting stuff and report bugs so can be fixed.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Can I giggle a little bit at all the people buying them yesterday on Origin for 25-35 mil each?

Hope you enjoy your really expensive Mastery books :)

(Sorry couldn't help it)

Thank you team for fixing the issue!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I can and do sympathize with those who collect rare items at great cost, only to find their items devalued. That said, I'm rather glad I never got into the rares market. In a way it kind of reminds me of the stock market... sometimes profitable, but sometimes not. o_O

Last edited:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe this will change all the duped cards into mastery books.... I am betting there is less than 20 real cards out there

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I get your point, but it comes down to definition. server births would better fit under a defintion of pre-historic rather than historic. are people who like dinosaurs less important than people who like the civil war?
Pre-historic is still historic, server births aren't "historic" as they literally have no purposeful story behind them. They were simply objects picked up because they could be. Sure, there are really neat server births, many are quite desirable in fact, but they aren't historic. Until the Seers came along, server births were pretty much the only rares, and only because players didn't have access to their art. Now we have expansion births with the potential to do things, like the hole to Navrey.

Skill tutor statuette can still drop from the Dark Knight, just start a character in the EC.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Pre-historic is still historic, server births aren't "historic" as they literally have no purposeful story behind them. They were simply objects picked up because they could be. Sure, there are really neat server births, many are quite desirable in fact, but they aren't historic. Until the Seers came along, server births were pretty much the only rares, and only because players didn't have access to their art. Now we have expansion births with the potential to do things, like the hole to Navrey.

Skill tutor statuette can still drop from the Dark Knight, just start a character in the EC.
The rune to the dark knight isn't usable.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I read it all very carefully and DIDN'T BELIEVE YOU or accept your nonsense argument as valid. Do you walk into your mechanic and tell him how to rebuild your engine? I don't because I wouldn't know what I was talking about. Your lecturing a rares guy about rares, lol. EVERYTHING I do in this game is really about rares. I collect rares, I decorate with rares, I sell rares. When I'm hunting, I'm hunting rares or doing something to get something to trade or sell for rares. About a week ago I did a four person trade to finally get the thing someone wanted to get the thing I wanted, lol. It's all I do. You have the nerve to lecture ME? How dare you. In my EXPERT opinion you don't know what your talking about, don't collect, have no respect in any way for the collector community, which is probably the majority on the UO community to some degree. Rares collecting was accepted as a "thing" and a legitimate past time in UO by the devs long ago. Yeah they fought it for a couple years at first. Now EMs drop pink bunnies and golden hissing cats. Rares collecting is REAL Virginia! Since it is REAL how about putting some effort into not messing up my accepted game play style by not trashing it releasing old used art? IF you do, at least clearly change it up? Comprehend that.
Your argument mostly consists of strawmen analogies, attempts at shaming and elitist chest thumping. Brava!

Furthermore, I never said rares collecting isn't real, but you've established that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Or you simply chose not to believe it, because its inconvenient to your poorly framed argument. :rolleyes:

And no, I'm not going to advocate for new art to appease or further elitist attitudes. You're basically saying that your possession of a relatively uncirculated piece of game art, such as the playing cards, means that the devs should NEVER, EVER, OMFG HOW DARE THEY! release it publicly...since your play style trumps everyone else's, or the good of the game. Thank you for defining elitism for us, and reinforcing why many players dislike the rares community.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The rune to the dark knight isn't usable.
You're right... I just tried SJing to it on my new archer...blocked. The last time I was there, which was around the time High Seas came out, I wound up trapped in the water near Corgul's island.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pre-historic is still historic
most view the definitions as different. historic concerns the activities of people (or in this case characters) pre-historic concerns the study of the past that does not involve human involvement.

another good comparison would be server births compare to something like geology. there is no "history of rocks" because they dont involve people.

anyway bit of flibber flabber word stuffs i know, the point is that while they dont hold any "history" they do still hold meaning.

in response to the situation, with rares everyone knows they may be released again, or that value may go up, or down. same with real life collecting of antiques. i collect antique bottles in real life, and once in a while a very rare bottle, say 1 to 10 in known existence will be greatly devalued because a huge batch is found in an attack or dug up. So while i can understand someones frustration if their cards were de-valued, its just part of collecting.

they should have just left them in *shrugs*

Last edited:

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm returning and don't want to step on other people's happiness, but I still don't see the big deal here. Isn't this what Origin was made for? To find stuff like this?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does anyone remember Vine Cord Sandals? I rest my case there with the Rares Community...

Much of the old crap is duped... if it had any value at all... 95% of the crap you see today if it was supposedly some sort of server birth rare or anything is more than likely duped. So really who cares. I agree with most the others.... art should not be held hostage because 3 people might get their panties in a wad.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The Cards of Semidar.

im sorry but that just sounds cool.
sounds like some tarot cards that we would use to foretell evil stuff about to happen on our realm.

"quick evil minion, fetch the Cards of Semidar off the bloody altar..... for we must divine what disaster lay's before us so we might live out this day!"

"pull a random card from the deck and that shall be your fate for the Cards of Semidar never lie about your fate!"

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
art should not be held hostage because 3 people might get their panties in a wad.
The most recent rares auction series on Stratics had more than 70 unique participants, so it is slightly more than 3 people. I am curious though, at what level does a particular group become legitimate and worthy of consideration in your opinion? 50 players? 10% of the total player population? an amount equal to the RP community? Never, since I don't personally see the value of it?

* This is an opinion question, so there are no wrong answers, but I am really curious. I look at the communities that I don't participate in as a part of the greater whole. Sure, a lot of resources are directed to the RP community (the PEC, EM events (originally, not sure they work for the RPers so much now), The governor system), and sure, they could probably use that money/time for things that more players actually do - but really, my subscription alone isn't going to keep UO going. And if it keeps 50 players paying and playing, I think that helps everyone. Same for the PvPers, the trammies, the vile rares collectors. So if some Fel only content is added, awesome. If leaving the playing cards rare is important to the collectors, awesome. And easy to do too.

** @Capt. Lucky is helping me with reading comprehension, so there is no need to mention that in response to this.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The most recent rares auction series on Stratics had more than 70 unique participants, so it is slightly more than 3 people. I am curious though, at what level does a particular group become legitimate and worthy of consideration in your opinion? 50 players? 10% of the total player population? an amount equal to the RP community? Never, since I don't personally see the value of it?

* This is an opinion question, so there are no wrong answers, but I am really curious. I look at the communities that I don't participate in as a part of the greater whole. Sure, a lot of resources are directed to the RP community (the PEC, EM events (originally, not sure they work for the RPers so much now), The governor system), and sure, they could probably use that money/time for things that more players actually do - but really, my subscription alone isn't going to keep UO going. And if it keeps 50 players paying and playing, I think that helps everyone. Same for the PvPers, the trammies, the vile rares collectors. So if some Fel only content is added, awesome. If leaving the playing cards rare is important to the collectors, awesome. And easy to do too.

** @Capt. Lucky is helping me with reading comprehension, so there is no need to mention that in response to this.
The recent Chesapeake Rares Fest did have a good turnout, indeed! Heck, one of my unemployed chefs even baked some cakes for the occasion... none of them "rare" though. :)

Regardless of the outcome of the cards or other items, it's good to have folks keep playing. :)

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don´t worry, Freja.
I read it the same way you did... ;)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

IMO the greed that is growing of late is ruining the game... if you want honest opinions... everyones interest in making RL money from the game is killing it.... IMO... and the catering to this makes me sick.

Yes the RP community is shrinking... so are all communities.. PvP, PvM... rares collecting.... what have you... but the game was designed as an MMO RPG.... RPG being that it is supposed to be a ROLE PLAYING GAME.. would imply that it did indeed cater to role-playing... Not really anywhere in there does it say Money generation or anything that would imply that it was a horders paradise.... though in a way it is... and I too like to collect things. But there comes a point when we are drowning in "rares"... and holding art hostage because 3 people might still have the original "real" server birth... not one of 500 or more duped server births that you all know are out there... is wrong. There are dozens of items in the game that ought to be able to be crafted, obtained, bought and used... which includes marble tables and benches, sandstone fountains, the "church pew" seat from Nu'Jelm..... and dozens more items...

Keeping people from using or obtaining good art because 3 people might get their panties in a wad is wrong... much of the stuff from the rares has already been re-released in some form or another from dirty pans to jars and any number of other things...

Rares ought to be things like Moonstone Jewelery that spawns so infrequently that it caused a genocide in UO for awhile... the golden L33t pick and shovel from Covetous and the gold fishing pole.... things like that should be "rare"..... but other things such as the marble benches and tables should NOT.

But every month we are spewing out EM item rares like some vulgar volcano of pixels... its become a joke but it's brought IMO more harm than good... it's given rise to multiboxing... more scams than you can count, increases in duping, many folk quitting because they miss actual content like invasions and such that lasts more than 2 hours a week... people get bored, folk who can't attend at the times the EM holds the event get irritated and quit.... I could go on and on about the negativity that has come from feeding all this greed...

And the worst of all things has been the feeding of uber leet gear... once you open that can of worms there is no going back.... so constantly need to add harder mobs to challenge folk, followed by better loot to make that easier.... followed by harder mobs to keep interest.... etc.... it's a vicious cycle that never ends..... but the further you push it the harder it becomes to keep up, to catch up and the more expensive it becomes the less folk can compete and the more folk quit in frustration......

Remember a lot of us play to RELAX and have fun and leave the stresses of the RL world behind us... we don't come to do complicated math and spend countless hours grinding away and making no progress... Time for gaming grows shorter as families grow larger and folk leave.... without getting new blood back in the game will die. New folk get discouraged when they see the 18 years of accumulation of stuffs and wonderful things others have and they realize they NEVER will..when the task seems too daunting and unobtainable... they won't stay... is this what we want?

Soon when more and more of us quit you can have all the crap in game there is... but then the game will end and there will be nothing left of all that you spent.... all that you put into the game will be gone... stew on that.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Or you simply chose not to believe it
Exactly. Based on your testimony.

You're basically saying that your possession of a relatively uncirculated piece of game art, such as the playing cards, means that the devs should NEVER, EVER, OMFG HOW DARE THEY! release it publicly...since your play style trumps everyone else's, or the good of the game. Thank you for defining elitism for us, and reinforcing why many players dislike the rares community.
Well your finally catching a clue! Tons of stuff I don't have but I'm not gonna advocating trashing someone's else collection so I can have one handed to me for zero work or effort. And at that point Broadsword hands them out people won't even stop and pick them up off the ground. You really don't have any clue at all? Even I have issues with the Trammel mentality at some point. I pay for new content. If everything is going to be recycled Halloween events and recycled art and recycled this and that, then I suppose the game has ended. We've seen it all. I haven't just been watching Honeymooners and Lucy reruns for 50 years. Need some new stuff every now and then. Your far better at insulting than actually making a case. The crowd turned on ya and you ignore them. Much like I'm ignoring your nonsense here on out. Your completely wrong and don't even have a clue enough to see it. Waste of time trying to beat it into you. Peace

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lots of people like rares, in various forms, but I don't believe the rares community has a hive mind, so not everyone is going to care about art being released...devaluing their oh-so-important collection of whatever.

Withholding art is purely about elitism. Being able to say "Look! I have X and YOU DON'T!"

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly. Based on your testimony.
Still inconvenient to your poorly framed argument. Gotcha.

Well your finally catching a clue! Tons of stuff I don't have but I'm not gonna advocating trashing someone's else collection so I can have one handed to me for zero work or effort. And at that point Broadsword hands them out people won't even stop and pick them up off the ground. You really don't have any clue at all?
Killing a champ is zero work and effort, while paying someone gold to acquire something somebody else got truly with zero effort in the past, isn't? That argument is so flawed that its funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Even I have issues with the Trammel mentality at some point.
Another precious chestnut from the "I don't have a leg to stand on, so I'll call you a Trammy!" BS distraction vault.

I pay for new content. If everything is going to be recycled Halloween events and recycled art and recycled this and that, then I suppose the game has ended. We've seen it all. I haven't just been watching Honeymooners and Lucy reruns for 50 years. Need some new stuff every now and then.
We do get new things. *points to the expansion* Would we like more? Of course. Are we going to get it with the tiny dev team we have? Maybe, just slower than most would like. Should we expect rares with every publish? No, that's just silly. Weren't you the one complaining about an easy button earlier?

Your far better at insulting than actually making a case. The crowd turned on ya and you ignore them. Much like I'm ignoring your nonsense here on out. Your completely wrong and don't even have a clue enough to see it. Waste of time trying to beat it into you. Peace
Pointing out that your entire argument is just a word salad of sophistry, selfishness and elitism isn't being insulting. Nice try.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Lots of people like rares, in various forms, but I don't believe the rares community has a hive mind, so not everyone is going to care about art being released...devaluing their oh-so-important collection of whatever.

Withholding art is purely about elitism. Being able to say "Look! I have X and YOU DON'T!"
Thank you for the polite reply. I think that we will have to agree to disagree; I know that you and @MalagAste are VERY firm in your opinions, and that nothing will sway you. Fair enough.
For my part, I don't see this as a class warfare issue; for me this as a hobby/relaxation. I would imagine that the RP community would be upset if the governor system were discontinued or significantly altered in such a way that some shmo like Kolka can log in 1 hour a week and claim the governorships (" look! I am governor and YOU AREN'T!" ) , despite it's original intent in being designed specifically for a small (elite) community. My participation (or lack of it) would be detrimental to it. No matter how unimportant RP is to me (not at all interested in it), i respect that it is important to those who do enjoy it. So, on my part, no name calling. No cheering when it is intentionally or unintentionally changed to the detriment of the players.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to mention to those saying that only a tiny portion of UO players are interested in rares collecting, that this is a factual list of the three most active forums on all of Stratics based on how many new threads and posts I see weekly, and I check just about every forum on the website.

#1 Uhall
#2 Rares Collector
#3 Traders Hall

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
You guys will need to handle this ;) It's so laughable I'm even dealing with *some people* that I can't even get motivated to argue about it , lol. The sky is blue! NO it's not! Yes it is blue, done with this. One maybe 2 people in this thread crying they want cool free stuff (that would be totally unwanted if it was handed out) and everyone else is looking at them like they're nuts. Which could be the case. So you elitist (insert whatever) folks that are playing some perversion of UO that is destroying the game will have to take over. I feel like I'm in a loop debating some nonsense with my 4 and 5 year old kids again. lol Perhaps we can learn the *one true* play style so we'll all know exactly what it is so we can get on board ;) Kyronix is yanking those cards outta the game... Hmmmmm.... geee maybe * HE GETS IT*. He didn't fix the problem and leave them in the game? Just saying.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'd like to mention to those saying that only a tiny portion of UO players are interested in rares collecting, that this is a factual list of the three most active forums on all of Stratics based on how many new threads and posts I see weekly, and I check just about every forum on the website.

#1 Uhall
#2 Rares Collector
#3 Traders Hall
For the love of God stay outta it ;) Trust me! lol

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For my part, I don't see this as a class warfare issue; for me this as a hobby/relaxation. I would imagine that the RP community would be upset if the governor system were discontinued or significantly altered in such a way that some shmo like Kolka can log in 1 hour a week and claim the governorships (" look! I am governor and YOU AREN'T!" ) , despite it's original intent in being designed specifically for a small (elite) community. My participation (or lack of it) would be detrimental to it. No matter how unimportant RP is to me (not at all interested in it), i respect that it is important to those who do enjoy it. So, on my part, no name calling. No cheering when it is intentionally or unintentionally changed to the detriment of the players.
I think that most governors, even the RP ones, would welcome increased participation by non-RPers. Granted, the meetings are RP heavy, and Blackthorn doesn't break character (unless someone is being really disruptive). You might find you like it, even if its just light RP. *shrugs*

Actually, the original stated intent of the governor system (from the 15th anniversary video) wasn't strictly RP, but a way for players to elect representatives to bring their concerns and ideas to a representative of the devs. Sometime between then and the time it was published, it morphed into what we have now. Personally, I liked the original intent better, but then I'm always for increased visible dev-player communication.

I don't think either play style is going away any time soon.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I think that most governors, even the RP ones, would welcome increased participation by non-RPers. Granted, the meetings are RP heavy, and Blackthorn doesn't break character (unless someone is being really disruptive). You might find you like it, even if its just light RP. *shrugs*

Actually, the original stated intent of the governor system (from the 15th anniversary video) wasn't strictly RP, but a way for players to elect representatives to bring their concerns and ideas to a representative of the devs. Sometime between then and the time it was published, it morphed into what we have now. Personally, I liked the original intent better, but then I'm always for increased visible dev-player communication.

I don't think either play style is going away any time soon.
I agree, although if i remember correctly, on my shard when it first came out, everyone wanted it and it became a popularity contest. The result of which was that some of the governors didn't bother with the meetings, which I assumed had to be disruptive. Also, you are right, my limited experience with RP comes from the EM events, which I realize are only marginally RP events presently.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
"Treasures of Doom is now active on Origin & Izumo."

I just saw this, and haven't looked yet, but wasn't this supposed to be moving to a different dungeon each year? Or did all Doom armor/weaps/reward items just take a hit in value?