• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

@Bleak, @Mesana Pet specific Power scrolls

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The present Pwer Scroll system, is so unbalanced that new/incoming UO players are faced with obtaining 120 - 115 - 110 Powerscrolls at a huge cost, that is impossible for most to ever get the funds for. As a result they will be forced to buy them outside the game, with green $, something that so far has been not condoned by UO. Or they may be forced to leave the game.
You need to create a lesser need for white PS, by creating a likely blessed PS that is specific for pets only. Make that drop for these PET-PS be available from other sources, including TRAM, Tokuno, Eodon, and Ilsh, and make them to be in Treasure maps of medium to high level, and/OR other bosses, and allow Fel Tmaps drop them more frequently.
This will tend to stabilize the economy by bringing the white PS prices down, and more available to newcomers. This may make it easier for any newcomers to STAY in the game, and really-really boost treasure hunting, taming, and guild activity (people getting together for lev 7 Tmaps) like you have never seen for a decade.
The new pet system was a very nice boost for the game, but created a gigantic rift/flaw in the PS economy. The cure for this can only be ONE : Pet specific power scrolls. Give them a different color if you wish (Red to spite the reds that benefit from the new system, or green to spite the green $ mongers that benefit with green $ covertly, and against the game rules). Also make them blessed, since they are for a commodity that is potentially perishable : Tamer's Pets.
This does not pertain to the upcoming free version, but current production servers, but one can see it possibly being tested in the new server.
This will require minimum actual programming code change to no change, just ADDING a new item
Pet-specific PS that would work for all pets, and ONLY pets.
Benefits:
==Stabilize economy of a valuable resource : White PS's, and the game in ways
==Increase incoming/staying new players.
==Boost T-hunting massively
==Boost taming
==The present PK/PVP system stays the same, for the White, player PS as always obtained the same way as usually, and white PS stay non-blessed same as now
==Diminish illegal activities such as green$ PS, duping etc
I wonder how may people would agree with these recommendations/ideas

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The present Pwer Scroll system, is so unbalanced that new/incoming UO players are faced with obtaining 120 - 115 - 110 Powerscrolls at a huge cost, that is impossible for most to ever get the funds for. As a result they will be forced to buy them outside the game, with green $, something that so far has been not condoned by UO. Or they may be forced to leave the game.
You need to create a lesser need for white PS, by creating a likely blessed PS that is specific for pets only. Make that drop for these PET-PS be available from other sources, including TRAM, Tokuno, Eodon, and Ilsh, and make them to be in Treasure maps of medium to high level, and/OR other bosses, and allow Fel Tmaps drop them more frequently.
This will tend to stabilize the economy by bringing the white PS prices down, and more available to newcomers. This may make it easier for any newcomers to STAY in the game, and really-really boost treasure hunting, taming, and guild activity (people getting together for lev 7 Tmaps) like you have never seen for a decade.
The new pet system was a very nice boost for the game, but created a gigantic rift/flaw in the PS economy. The cure for this can only be ONE : Pet specific power scrolls. Give them a different color if you wish (Red to spite the reds that benefit from the new system, or green to spite the green $ mongers that benefit with green $ covertly, and against the game rules). Also make them blessed, since they are for a commodity that is potentially perishable : Tamer's Pets.
This does not pertain to the upcoming free version, but current production servers, but one can see it possibly being tested in the new server.
This will require minimum actual programming code change to no change, just ADDING a new item
Benefits:
==Boost taming
==The present PK/PVP system stays the same, for the White, player PS as always obtained the same way as usually, and white PS stay non-blessed same as now
Also I think there is no question that Pet specific PS are a sorely needed item for the game, but I think that this should be done URGENTLY, like yesterday, so that the new players do stay, and NOT quit again when they see that they have no chance to get their Whites in game, and they have to pay extra green $ to get them illegally..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also I think there is no question that Pet specific PS are a sorely needed item for the game, but I think that this should be done URGENTLY, like yesterday, so that the new players do stay, and NOT quit again when they see that they have no chance to get their Whites in game, and they have to pay extra green $ to get them illegally..
Good luck with that. Everytime I mention they ought to put scrolls 5-15 into Tram spawns people cry that it'll kill Fel... but Fel has been dead for years... and no one cares but like 10 people... Scrolls obviously do NOT draw players there for the slaughter... and no one is there to slaughter them... so... yeah.

Problem with PS's anyway is the drop rate on 120's is super low... and when you do get one it's often for crap you don't need or want. Getting an actual useful 120 is near impossible. What I don't get is prior to the pet publish 120 Wrestling scrolls dropped ALL THE TIME... chances were if you actually managed to get a 120 scroll to drop it was like 7 in 10 that it was for Wrestling... now that people WANT Wrestling scrolls 7 in 10 are Macing/Throwing... or Archery or something else that pets can't use such as Peacing or Provo.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You don't know it yet but the pvp community is about to show up with their pitchforks and torches. Can't take away their ability to harass the pvmers.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I am looking at it from the perspective of the game survival tactic. Pet-specific scrolls are likely to happen, there is no other way to change the badly damaged PS economic system. Its an easy fix, and will not need much reprogramming of the code. It will be painful for people that have paid upwards to 1 plat to scroll all 30 pets in the stable, but there is no other way to fix things. The pet-spec PS will still be hard to get, but more easily accessible to tamers, and the white PS will also drop very much in price and more easily obtainable for new players.
And the boost to T-hunting and team effort approach are other good side effects of this i think.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They absolutely should put pet only 105 & 110 scrolls in locations other then Felucca.

Won't hurt the ps market at all. But give not so rich players something to tide them over until
they can afford to buy the 115 or 120 scrolls.

Win Win

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Boost 115 and 120 drop rate at fel, make tram spawns drop 3 105/110 with rare chance for a 110.
Should make things more interesting.
It would still take someone 96 105 scrolls to make a 120.

bsluspo

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They just neet to make powerscrolls blessed, and make them available also to people who advance the spawn but do not kill the boss.
This way people would still to go to felucca to get them but they would be easier to get.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
They absolutely should put pet only 105 & 110 scrolls in locations other then Felucca.

Won't hurt the ps market at all. But give not so rich players something to tide them over until
they can afford to buy the 115 or 120 scrolls.

Win Win
Another exit out of this mess may be to just make all PS blessed?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
my cu side and other pets, are so much better than before with the new training, I don't even need the 120s. at least not right away. I just save points and will use scrolls when I get them. I don't see any changes needed but this is just my opinion.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
my cu side and other pets, are so much better than before with the new training, I don't even need the 120s. at least not right away. I just save points and will use scrolls when I get them. I don't see any changes needed but this is just my opinion.
Yrs but we have not seen prices on PS drop, same ones stay around 40-50 M that used to be 500k - 1 M before..If nothing changes I doubt that the price hike will taper off even 1-2 years down the line..

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Benefits:
==Boost taming
Finally ... someone open a mouth and tells how it is now ;)
If this hopefully comes true a day - plz give the scrolls a different color ;) :)

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yrs but we have not seen prices on PS drop, same ones stay around 40-50 M that used to be 500k - 1 M before..If nothing changes I doubt that the price hike will taper off even 1-2 years down the line..
Supply and demand.

I'm personally against adding pet only scrolls at this point. They should have done it from the beginning, if they were going to do it at all. Also, if you can't afford a scroll, farm something that you can sell to get the gold to pay for it. The people who do spawns will be using their ps gold to buy those items more than likely.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Actually, my count is wrong.
It takes 96 105 to make a 115. It would take 960 105 to make a 120.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am also a little confused about this. Why would a new player need 120 powerscrolls on their pet? On Europa i have put 110s and 115s on about 20 of my pets, all of which i found on the floor. (or on a corpse of another player)

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The present Pwer Scroll system, is so unbalanced that new/incoming UO players are faced with obtaining 120 - 115 - 110 Powerscrolls at a huge cost, that is impossible for most to ever get the funds for.
Is it not fair to also say that "new" players should not IMMEDIATELY be able to get in game everything that a lot of us have worked years to EARN the gold to be able to afford? Just a thought.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is it not fair to also say that "new" players should not IMMEDIATELY be able to get in game everything that a lot of us have worked years to EARN the gold to be able to afford? Just a thought.
Just for one second lets assume you are "new" to UO... VERY new never played the game at all... Lets assume you work around in Haven for awhile and you start to notice what us old players are wearing and such and then compare that with the total garbage that drops in Haven... so you wonder hum... maybe I need to leave here... so you listen to chat and find people are in Luna... so you go there and find all the Luna NPC Vendors and stuff on them for 50 to 100 M... mind you all you know is looting stuff in Haven at 10 to 40 gold...

Do you not suppose that would not be discouraging???

Or you come back after being gone 15 years... you think you were a "god" when you left you had 10M! You think I'll jump in be able to buy whatever I need... find you need PS's... and find you can't even buy ONE... Is that not discouraging????

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no it is not discouraging. I don't know about your guild, but if someone joins our guild and they need a 120 something, it is gifted free of charge from the vast hordes we all have. They will be perfectly happy with 115 that they pick up off the floor. But like was said, nobody "needs" 120 focus on their cu sidhe. When tamers buy all 120s it's purely vanity.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just for one second lets assume you are "new" to UO... VERY new never played the game at all... Lets assume you work around in Haven for awhile and you start to notice what us old players are wearing and such and then compare that with the total garbage that drops in Haven... so you wonder hum... maybe I need to leave here... so you listen to chat and find people are in Luna... so you go there and find all the Luna NPC Vendors and stuff on them for 50 to 100 M... mind you all you know is looting stuff in Haven at 10 to 40 gold...

Or you come back after being gone 15 years... you think you were a "god" when you left you had 10M! You think I'll jump in be able to buy whatever I need... find you need PS's... and find you can't even buy ONE... Is that not discouraging????
While I do agree it could be discouraging, I simply don't feel that everyone should have everything. Perhaps it might help them to be more active, to earn the gold for what they need. I'm just not a big fan of the "everybody should have everything right now" philosophy. When I came back several years ago I saw I was "behind the times" and I found ways to earn the gold to buy what I needed. I understand, and acknowledge, your point. I simply disagree with it.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I am also a little confused about this. Why would a new player need 120 powerscrolls on their pet? On Europa i have put 110s and 115s on about 20 of my pets, all of which i found on the floor. (or on a corpse of another player)
I think what the OP is saying that new players want the scrolls for their chars, not their pets, but the demand for scrolls for pets by established players has driven the price beyond the reach of new players for use on their chars, and pet specific ones would satisfy the demand by established players and lower the price of regular ones.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
*prepares for getting shamelessly bashed for what is about to be said*

I still would have preferred they make powerscrolls shard bound
*sips tea*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I do agree it could be discouraging, I simply don't feel that everyone should have everything. Perhaps it might help them to be more active, to earn the gold for what they need. I'm just not a big fan of the "everybody should have everything right now" philosophy. When I came back several years ago I saw I was "behind the times" and I found ways to earn the gold to buy what I needed. I understand, and acknowledge, your point. I simply disagree with it.
Keith, you cannot tell me that you're so resistant against this "Oh.... nice - must absolutly must have it" - feeling you and me and others exspecially all the returners and noobs get if they see one high stuffed;) ... that's human nature and have always been.

Fine if you found a way yourself to earn the needful points of money to buy what you wish - but the very much difference to this at your return was that this scroll are a lot much cheaper as they're now ;). A year ago I was looking for 120 tactics for a char and not a pet (because at this point the pet training was not ingame and still unknown to everybody ) - at this point a 120 tactics would have cost me about 15 mios only - and not 60 mios like it is now ;).
And like a noob or returner i need to have make my money by hunting - and it takes its time to make a million exspecially if you can only hunt monster with maybe 200 gold inside when you're a completly new beginner here.

The prices of the scolls are just raisen so much because some of us whose's preferential job ingame is hunting scrolls and not training pets see again a whole in market to make the big money - you know Money makes the world go around as always ;) - also a point that never changes - none to Real Life and none to UO ;). That's how economy is running - correct me if i go false here ;)

The other problem was that perhaps none of the testers could or would see this in preview - and if yes - i could imagine that the dev's this concerns wipes again cause of maybe no importiness. They did this too often in the past. But I have a small hope that faults could be corrected.

Btw.... not only new or returning players have now big problems to build chars oder pets as they wish now of this horrific prices - also some silly veterans like myself who can only earn money with monster hunting and who never understand game mechanics to earn a big money here. Sometimes I'm up to vote for a responsable price-setting limit - not given by players but of game mechanic ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think as a new player I would realize that despite the fact that I'm only looting thousands off of kills at current, that eventually, once I get the hang of the game, it will be fairly easy to make millions, as that is how every online game works.

Then I would go back to raising skills, exploring, saving for a house, or whatever else I would do as a newbie.

I think you and others are looking at the game as a vet, not as a new player. Like what new player would get super bent out of shape because they cannot afford a 120 scroll for their pet? They have a while to go before they are going to start worrying about absolutly maxing out everything they can.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Benefits:
==Boost taming
I highly disagree with the way you are framing the situation, but... While I'm not against pet scrolls, or them being available someplace in tram, I think they should be limited to 110. 110 is perfectly serviceable against pretty much all content for all but a few of the the magic skills on pets. Pet only 110's should also drop like 105 whites do when fighting champ spawn in fel.

If you want a perfect pet you should have to work for it, like everyone else has.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think as a new player I would realize that despite the fact that I'm only looting thousands off of kills at current, that eventually, once I get the hang of the game, it will be fairly easy to make millions, as that is how every online game works.

Then I would go back to raising skills, or whatever else I would do as a newbie.

I think you and others are looking at the game as a vet, not as a new player. Like what new player would get super bent out of shape because they cannot afford a 120 scroll for their pet? They have a while to go before they are going to start worrying about absolutly maxing out everything they can.
Really? Every returning Vet/player that I've talked to the first words to come from them are shock as to the prices of things and dismay and they sound EXTREMELY disappointed... infact I've known many to just say this is insane I can't get back into this game I'll never afford that crap and I'm not buying gold... many are already sick to death of paying out the nose to upgrade or hearing about all the "addon's" they need to buy with SA (which will be free after EJ but that's a LONG way off to wait)... High Seas, Gothic, Rustic (many who want the garden bed).... etc... and Eodon...

All they see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...... and they are overly discouraged from restarting ..... and while some of you may have billions sitting about to help out new and returning players I for one DO NOT. I'd be lucky to put together 500M... if even...

I think a lot of you are dreaming and don't think it's an issue..... but when's the last time any of you started on a new to you shard without transferring yourself anything at all and started making characters with scratch from nothing..... (And remember all of you know what's current, what sells what doesn't, what's hot, where to train, where to go to get what you need, and know the ins and outs of the weapon and armor crap as well as have access to everything already)....

Think about it. You go to an EM Event which is what's hot and try to stay alive long enough to even earn rights on anything without maxing out stuff..... sure they can run and die at the boss a million times and maybe get a drop while competing with the home sharders who have all the gear, the xsharders who are multiboxing, and everything else.... again you are not seeing the picture...

I can't tell you the number of times I've answered questions and such trying to help people to get back into the game to find that they quit shortly after telling me it's just too hard... they can't afford this or that... it's impossible to get started again..... too complicated... the mobs are too difficult they die all the time... etc... what they can kill doesn't have squat for loot anyone wants...

I've tried directing them to doing trade quests... tried directing them to doing EM Events in the hope of a drop.... tried helping them find things they can train on... but those things have little loot and are not helping them feel they can get anywhere with loot of 40 to 60 gold... etc...

and the best place I've found to train up tactics and such has ZERO gold for loot...

Oh and to add to that looting a corpse at EM Events is a joke and can't be done in the EC without crashing and the CC it's just a jumble of crap that's if you can open it and look at anything without someone snatching up anything "worthwhile"....

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*prepares for getting shamelessly bashed for what is about to be said*

I still would have preferred they make powerscrolls shard bound
*sips tea*

An what should that help? I would rather keep my PS in a Box instead of selling them cheap on a dead shard.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An what should that help? I would rather keep my PS in a Box instead of selling them cheap on a dead shard.
It wouldn't accomplish much. Players would just transfer to cheap shards, farm/buy scrolls use them there, then transfer back to Atlantic. The best thing it would do is maybe make it easier to find a group to run spawns with.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So what happened to Messana's idea of making the powerscrolls shard-bound? She asks people at the Meet and Greet if they like the idea, which was before the Pet Revamp and then after the revamp happened there was no more mention of it...:confused:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So what happened to Messana's idea of making the powerscrolls shard-bound? She asks people at the Meet and Greet if they like the idea, which was before the Pet Revamp and then after the revamp happened there was no more mention of it...:confused:
Well they discussed IT and decided NO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) New and returning players should be at a lower level. It only makes sense. Everyone has to work for what they have. We are all equal in opportunity, the only thing that separates uo players is time and effort invested. Those who have invested time and effort should have more and better stuff. This is just how online games work.

2) UO outside of pvp and EM events isn't competitive. It doesn't matter if you have a worse suit than someone else. It doesn't matter if your cu shide isn't maxed out or that your gear isn't top 1%. You don't need these things to do 99% of the game's content. You don't need to buy anything from anyone ever.

3) Getting started isn't that hard. You can make a decent suit by killing very low level stuff, like liches and demons or by simply getting someone to make you a basic imbued suit, something many people would be willing to do for newbies. You can buy a house with gold earned killing those mid/low level monsters pretty quickly. From there you can start getting more developed.

4) Inflation is only a problem of perception. It has no tangible effect on game play beyond that. You could cut 6 zeros off of everyone's bank account, and the hard to get/expensive items would be just as hard to get an expensive as they are right now. Anyone who takes a moment to think about it will understand that they will be able to make millions selling valuable objects they find, and in turn be able to get the things they desire. Tell your returning vet friends they can sell signs from trade orders for millions, and they might have more interest in doing them.

5) Adding pet scrolls won't fix these "problems". It will just create a new market for a niche element of the game.

6) All non unique items (and even unique ones if you want to pay for it) are available to all players. I know there's a narrative going around that some items like power scrolls are "locked off" behind the wall of fel. It's nonsense. UO is 100% egalitarian, if you want it... go get it, or go work to earn the gold to buy what you aren't willing to get yourself. Any tactic or method you see people use to get the things they want can also be employed by literally any other player who is willing to put in the same amount of work.

7) If you ask me, EM drops should be removed from the game. They just make people greedy and butthurt when their greed isn't satisfied. EM events should be about story, not people standing around shouting "what's the drop??!?!" for pink wheels of cheese that make demon noises and flamestrike animations when you click them.

Last edited:

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I’m going to avoid starting the shard shield debate again and just hop off this thread. It’s too early in the day for me to argue with deaf ears.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The other problem was that perhaps none of the testers could or would see this in preview - and if yes - i could imagine that the dev's this concerns wipes again cause of maybe no importiness. They did this too often in the past. But I have a small hope that faults could be corrected.
When I noticed on TC they let pets eat scrolls, I went straight to Atlantic and bought every scroll a pet could eat. I am sure others did also.

Of course we knew prices would sky rocket.

This does make it difficult for new and returning players.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain
:) that's where the wind lies ... Oki :)...

Nowadays everybody wants to pump up pets and chars also, and so it make it difficult also for all player - veterans, full-time and half time player, weekend players, returners and newbies - however you would call them.

Not your fault or that of other testers. What I do not understand - if someone see a big coming problem with testing a thing - and I act from the asumption you have spoke about it with Kyronix or Bleak on TC - why another better solution for all players obviously could not be found, discussed and than be implemented... to avoid this price rocking behaviour from the beginning implementing pet-training pub :)

We all play long enough to find appropriated solutions to coming problems. Perhaps our problem is that we did not shout loud enough as the PvP's do here every time if something not right in their way out ?

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Benefits:
==Boost taming
It can get worse than that "if" a Pet, as it sometimes happened in the past, due to some bug gets unbonded and then vanishes for good....
Imagine such a bug happening to a Pet on which expensive 120 Power Scrolls were applied.....
Personally, considering the risk I would NEVER apply a super expensive 120 Power Scroll to a Pet....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nowadays everybody wants to pump up pets and chars also, and so it make it difficult also for all player - veterans, full-time and half time player, weekend players, returners and newbies - however you would call them.
I have helped returning players with 105s, 110s. I wish I had more of those.

It is not a good thing for the game. But, I see no solution other than:

1. Go get your own scrolls. There are a lot of spawns. Some take a lot longer.

2. Get out and kill enough stuff for 200M gold. (that would scroll 1 pet)

3. Have scrolls and masteries drop in your bank or be blessed.

4. Consensual PvP in fel.

5. Drop everything in tram.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I dont see a problem. Newer players can make a sampire instead of a tamer. Then they wont need multiple 120 scrolls. Just one 120 weapon skill is needed which is not expensive. They could even take mace fighting instead of swords to save even more gold.

Then they can use that sampire to do spawns or make gold to get more scrolls.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Specific pet scrolls would be ok to do, do not mess with regular powerscrolls for any reason. But good luck trying to get the dev team to listen to the community, they would rather update high seas which was a disaster the first time. They ruined factions as well with the awful vvv replacement, its like ms producer has an ego towards how she wants the game not us players want the game.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I respectfully not completely agree: In my not very educated opinion,
--It seems that the devs team has listened to the player base and have made changes to the game, though not everyone could be made happy. Also these changes take time to test and live-production test, and eventually implement.
--This game is a very complex entity, made up of the game itself, and the interactions of the game and players, and players with other players. Has evolved massively over the last 15-20 years, and become more complex.
--Some of the changes have had major side effects, some of these are very hard to correct/overcome, but we need to assume they are being looked into.
--Some times as a dev you have a great idea, that is so exciting that it is very hard to see all its eventual future impact at the time. You are like an inventor or a creative writer, and can get painted in a corner at times. But.. this does not mean that you should stop inventing, create original concepts etc, in the fear that things may not go right.
--They are listening, and thinking imo. They have stated so, and proven so in the past and present.
--They DO need our input, and any ideas or suggestions we may have. I am sure they sift through all suggestions, and try to implement what would be the best for the game
--I doubt that there is one person, that changes the game to whim. The goal is promotion of content and boosting player base in many ways.
--The game has a faithful player base for decades. It is the community, and the fellowship of the players one of the things keeping it together, but also the relative responsiveness of the dev team that provide the new content.
--I kinda think we need to have some faith and a little patience, and good and better things are coming up, the only question is when..

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well im glad your so optimistic, but this game has been slowly dying for ten years and is basically on life support now. They have already stated what the next two patches are going to be which is most of next years updates. There is nothing exciting coming down the pipe that will cause more people to play. There is plenty of content already in game that could just use some updating which would take much less time of the devs. Lots of people have wanted to see this and they havnt listened to any of that at all. I used to have faith few years back and got nothing but disappointment from future patches. I think SA was the last good update for UO, and that probably wont change in the future. I don't mean to be negative, im just basing this on past history.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well im glad your so optimistic, but this game has been slowly dying for ten years and is basically on life support now. They have already stated what the next two patches are going to be which is most of next years updates. There is nothing exciting coming down the pipe that will cause more people to play. There is plenty of content already in game that could just use some updating which would take much less time of the devs. Lots of people have wanted to see this and they havnt listened to any of that at all. I used to have faith few years back and got nothing but disappointment from future patches. I think SA was the last good update for UO, and that probably wont change in the future. I don't mean to be negative, im just basing this on past history.
Unless you are a greedy collector/horder and/or using UO to add extra funds to your pocket... then it's all wonderful... If you are not a Rares Collector then the game is poo and will be poo until the current development changes.

If you are missing community it's not likely to return anytime soon and your playing the wrong game now... if you are into playing an MMO solo... using every cheat/hack whatever, and or spending billions to get uber gear and such... then this game is for you.

Oh... and I forgot to add if you like hours and hours on end of mindless grinding... or setting up elaborate bot programs to send your bots out to mindlessly grind away for hours on end.... then this game is certainly for you... but if you enjoy reward for your effort forget it.... the only reward will be more hours spent grinding away.... till your fingers bleed and you end up with carpal tunnel surgery.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I agree that history of dev responsiveness, and history of changes are important.
At the same time you will agree that the pet/taming revamp was a massive undertaking, and brought taming up several notches albeit with some side issues
(such as the powerscrolls being shamefully expensive, and unapproachable). For someone interested in the taming specialty, it is a huge update and great content?
The other game issues should be re-mentioned to the devs, such as the issues that have been for years, and if all players would agree eventually they will get to fix them, especially the ones relating to tweaking some of the spawns/boss content etc. Also hard to believe the game is dying, as new people are seen to be coming in the game. I think that the current management will keep working new content, and they love the game too much to let it die.
As for reward for your efforts, playing the game, developing new toons, skills, grinding I think that is just the reward : fun, having a good time playing an honest gaming experience without bots, cheats etc. That there are some people that may find botting and cheating fun? or that there are some people that will exploit the game or other players, murder/PK and steal other people's efforts legally or illegally? These will be. But it does not stop the rest of us enjoying the game.