• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

105-110 Tram 115-120 Fel

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.B.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Soo funny. Powerscrolls are so 2004. It's amusing people still care about them. It's amusing you have to PvM to get them. They suck and need to be replaced with something else and given to the trammies. How about a real pvp reward?
If that was the case why do reds still raid spawns?

Paps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
someone said----
"Dam I wish once a month reds could come to tram and kill all your silly cry baby ass's "

this asserts something i said in an earlier post.

Many [not all] PVP`ers just cannot cope with that there is a place where they cannot force their playstyle onto you.[assuming your a trammy]
scrolls being only in fel is their last way to get you trammys into a place where they can freely attack you,and lets face it,,many pvp`ers are dying [no pun intended] for new people to roam into fel,,some pvp`ers work up characters on several shards and hop around until they can find a fight,,,,,basically,,,they are bored outta their skulls [not all of them,,,dont go ballistic just yet] and if by removing the only thing that makes trammys venture into fel in the first place is completely removed,,well,,,their game just got that much more boring.

If your not properly scrolled out,,yes it puts you at a disadvantage.
If you dont have the right suit for your template ,,yes it puts you at a disadvantage.
If your not playing a template thats geared for pvp,,yes it puts you at a disadvantage.
HOWEVER
even if you are completely scrolled out AND have a great suit that doesn't mean that the raiding partys won't roll you and your group anyways because
these people know what the hell they are doing
[well,,,not all of them,,,but as a blanket statement its true]
look at it like this
you say your a `casual UO player` now,,,i could say
i am a `casual marathon runner` [while i sit on the couch and eat cheesy-poofs]
when it comes to race day,,,you better beleive i`m going to get smoked.
If i refuse to train,,,its in a ways refusing to win,,,and lets face it,,a lot of pvm peoples game revolves around "all kill",,invisi self,,heal greater. If that is the full extent of your gameplay you better believe your average PVP`er is going to mop the floor with you.

Now i agree some people are just flat out incapable of learning how to pvp well and i do also understand that some just arent at all interested in it which indeed is fine and i personally dont think that the 105`s dropping in the tram champs would be bad,,,sure,,they would get chained to an extent,,,but really now,,,if anyone is going to take the time to scrollbind THAT MANY 105`s to get their own 120,,,so f*@king be it.

But all in all......regardless if this is a `good idea` or a `bad idea` i highly doubt the dev team is going to be changing the scroll drop system or really anything ingame,,,,anytime soon.Another post mentioned EA had lower sales than expected or some crap like that.I mean,,,sure yeah most of you have what would be `good for the game` ideas here but,,,,,after the recent expansion i just don`t see any significant changes happening anytime soon.
[call me `negative nancy` if you must,,,but thats just how i see it]

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Soo funny. Powerscrolls are so 2004. It's amusing people still care about them. It's amusing you have to PvM to get them. They suck and need to be replaced with something else and given to the trammies. How about a real pvp reward?
If that was the case why do reds still raid spawns?
That was intended to be sarcasm...unless your reply was also intended to be sarcastic, lol.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only difference is Tram players chose to make an issue out of the only thing thats in Fel and Fel players do not chose to make an issue out of the many things that are in Tram.
I am not going in to all the posts, complaints, flames and blah blah blah but I call serious BS on this statement! (and it is Choose btw)

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What our dev should do is make all production shards Tram only, and force all PvPers to play Seige or Mugen, the only shards in which there is a real risk vs reward.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What our dev should do is make all production shards Tram only, and force all PvPers to play Seige or Mugen, the only shards in which there is a real risk vs reward.
If they did that then it would be unnecessary to have a Tram and a Fel and should remove an entire facet, which would remove lots of peoples houses.

I wouldn't terribly mind though if they moved my character to Siege. I don't really want to train a whole new character from scratch.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can you say pvp is a disaster when you don't do it? They can "fix" all the bugs and whatever else there is. But it will still come down to those who takes the time to learn how to use their templates effectively and gets the gear to compliment them.

Well, how else could one describe a game feature (PvP) which many among players see as plagued by numerous inbalances not only in between new and existing players, but also due to the exceeding number of modifiers and items that make its balancing extremely complicated and difficult, we also have all of the issues about the usage of scripts, hacks and cheats in PvP.

Ain't all of that enough to deter many players from ever wanting to get close to PvP ?

No wonder to me why many players prefer to stay the hell away from PvP.

In order to prosper, as I see it, PvP must ensure equal footing to participants.
That is, open ended outcome of their fights.
Who wants to participate in fights where they know that most chances are playing against them ? Not many I would imagine.

So, unless the game makes sure that PvP fights, when they occur, are always open ended and their outcome only results in favour of those players applying smarter combat tactics and not more modifiers or more cheats/scripts/hacks, I do not think PvP can be of much appeal to many players.

Not a disaster ? I guess it is a matter of opinions.

R

Reximus

Well, how else could one describe a game feature (PvP) which many among players see as plagued by numerous inbalances not only in between new and existing players, but also due to the exceeding number of modifiers and items that make its balancing extremely complicated and difficult, we also have all of the issues about the usage of scripts, hacks and cheats in PvP.
If PvP wasn't about items and only about skill, you'd still never be able to win vs a veteran PvP'er, and then what will you do?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I need to disagree here.

Personally, I see PvP as a progression from PvM so separating the 2, entirely, would break this progression on a same environment and force players to have to start it all over on a new shard (should they choose to move from PvM to PvP).

The real issue for me, is not keeping them separate, period, but making it so that PvP can be appealing also for PvMers at some point.

If we keep them separate, then chances are most players will PvM and PvP may die out (how many players do Siege and Mugen have ?).

Instead, if the developers work on making sure that PvP is balanced and always allows for open ended outcomes (existing and wealthy players not always having the upper hand in fights) then this may attract more players into PvP and the game overall might benefit from this.

Or, at least, so I think.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If PvP wasn't about items and only about skill, you'd still never be able to win vs a veteran PvP'er, and then what will you do?

When I talk about combat skill, rather than in-game scrollable skill I am referring to combat tactics cheaply available to everyone.

Things, which everyone can learn and use, easily, like organized and clever use of potions, special moves and the likes.

All things which are open to use and be learned to any and all players regardless of their age of account and wealth.

As of now, instead, that combat outcomes are tied to modifiers and rare high end items, those with the most wealth most always have the upper end. Fights' outcomes are not much open ended and this deters many players from participating in PvP.

Also, the usage of scripts/hacks and cheats in general deters many players from participating in PvP.

Result ? An important feature of the game, PvP, dies out for lack of enough participants.

Making sure that fights always stay open ended at their start, and that only clever combat strategies can really make the difference is, I think, the way to promote PvP in the game and have more players participate in it.

But this means getting rid of the link wealth-power and modifiers-power and changing the way that combat outcomes are determined.

Perhaps, this shift from one system to another can be done gradually, I don't know.

Patch after patch reduce the effect of modifiers and rare items on combat outcomes and introduce a new potion, a new special move, some ingenuous combat tactic to use and gradually shift the way combat outcomes are determined away from the current system to a new one, open and available cheaply to everyone.

just an idea, I am sure more can come up as well.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pancake more that it's not fair. And that it should be turn based and dependent on a dice roll. rolleyes:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pancake more that it's not fair. And that it should be turn based and dependent on a dice roll. rolleyes:

I'd rather loose a PvP fight because my opponent used a clever strategy rather than because they had a suit/weapon sporting more modifiers and/or used hacks/scripts/cheats more than me......

How is it that bad to ask for an evened out ground for PvP ? I cannot understand.

R

Reximus

I'd rather loose a PvP fight because my opponent used a clever strategy rather than because they had a suit/weapon sporting more modifiers and/or used hacks/scripts/cheats more than me......

How is it that bad to ask for an evened out ground for PvP ? I cannot understand.
Faction artifacts levels the playing field when it comes to items.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction artifacts levels the playing field when it comes to items.

Problem is, that they only cover bits and pieces here and there.
In order to be able to build a full suit and get a top notch weapon (or multiple top notch weapons as sometimes are needed in PvP to cover several special actions) one needs runics, replicas and/or large wealth to afford getting them in a reasonable time.

Faction artifacts can only patch up here and there, but cannot provide a full top notch suit and weapons needed to compete at high PvP levels.

C

Connor_Graham

-Join a champ spawn guild and go with a group that's already running them.

Don't like the guilds that are out there? Then do what they did and put a guild of your own together. Every guild had to start with 1 person setting a goal and doing something to attain it. Every PvP'r was a "noob" at one point or another, so being one yourself is nothing new in the game.

There. Problem solved, and no, I wasn't directing anything at you or anyone else in particular unless what I had to say applied. That's up to you to decide.

I am afraid problem is NOT soilved.
Aside from all of the other problems inbalancing PvP, especially in between new players and experienced players, there is the issue of all the rest used in PvP.
Did you by any chance read the thread about PvP, scripts and GE potions ? And that is only 1 of the issues in PvP, there is quite a few more.......

Bottom line is, the status of PvP in this game is really a disaster, whichever way I see it.

It is such a deterrant to players that I am flabbergasted that treating the problems that PvP has in UO, has not yet been addressed comprehensively by Developers as an absolute priority for the better sake of the game. Here and there sometimes comes a small fix but the vast majority of problems, inbalances, hacks, scripts stays plaguing PvP.

As PvP is today, with all the problems plaguing it, I don't doubt for a split second that players may want to stay the hell away from it, and the farther the better..........

There should be a patch only and totally about fixing all issues in PvP in this game, and it should come at the very soonest to cure what is plaguing this very important part of the game.

Yet, I seem to keep waiting for it to come and I wait, I wait, I wait....................
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I said, not to mention the topic of this thread. If you want to **** and moan about PvP again, make yet another of your whining complainer threads Lindsay. Don't hijack someone else's to push your own agenda.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I said, not to mention the topic of this thread. If you want to **** and moan about PvP again, make yet another of your whining complainer threads Lindsay. Don't hijack someone else's to push your own agenda.

Uhu ??

I must be missing something here then..

Let's see, someone says there is a problem getting Powerscrolls and suggests to have 105s and 110s spawn in Trammel and 115s and 120s in Felucca to fix it.

Then someone comes and say there is no problem, just go get them at Champ Spawns.

Did I get it right so far ?

Now, thing is, that go getting them at Champ Spawns involves raids and PvP most times.

So I come and say, hey, PvP is darn broken, lots of people don't want to have anything to do with it given how broken it is (and stay the hell away from it) and so, there DOES is a problem with powerscrolls and a bunch of players not having access to them.

Stay the hell away from PvP because it is broken = stay the hell away from Champ Spawns = not being able to get scrolls on one's own.

That's my understanding of the situation so far.

C

Connor_Graham

Uhu ??

I must be missing something here then..

Let's see, someone says there is a problem getting Powerscrolls and suggests to have 105s and 110s spawn in Trammel and 115s and 120s in Felucca to fix it.

Then someone comes and say there is no problem, just go get them at Champ Spawns.

Did I get it right so far ?

Now, thing is, that go getting them at Champ Spawns involves raids and PvP most times.

So I come and say, hey, PvP is darn broken, lots of people don't want to have anything to do with it given how broken it is (and stay the hell away from it) and so, there DOES is a problem with powerscrolls and a bunch of players not having access to them.

Stay the hell away from PvP because it is broken = stay the hell away from Champ Spawns = not being able to get scrolls on one's own.

That's my understanding of the situation so far.
You're utterly (and udderly) hopeless Miss Lohan. Completely, totally, and unequivocally, hopeless. :dunce:

R

Reximus

Problem is, that they only cover bits and pieces here and there.
In order to be able to build a full suit and get a top notch weapon (or multiple top notch weapons as sometimes are needed in PvP to cover several special actions) one needs runics, replicas and/or large wealth to afford getting them in a reasonable time.
Then use imbued stuff.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're utterly (and udderly) hopeless Miss Lohan. Completely, totally, and unequivocally, hopeless. :dunce:

Am I ?

I am just trying to follow some merely linear logic, the kind of stuff that makes sense, if one follows the thinking.........

C

Connor_Graham

Am I ?

I am just trying to follow some merely linear logic, the kind of stuff that makes sense, if one follows the thinking.........
The problem is that no one else "thinks" like you do. What you call linear logic, we call the idiotic ramblings of someone without a clue. :gee:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then use imbued stuff.

But imbued stuff comes at a cost which, new players, may not be able to cover to the extent it may be required to be competitive at the level that countering raiding Guilds at a Champion Spawn may require.

That is, imbuing is ok when one needs a piece or 2, but when it comes to working a full suit, weapons, and doing it at the level required to compete with players already having it all, well, that's an entire other story and a whole other cost which only a few can cover.....
Not to mention trying to do it for a number of people to fight off raiding Guilds who well know what to do and are already fully outfitted and have a full stock of high end weaponry at disposal. We are talking about big numbers imbuing there...

There is an imbuing for playing, and an imbuing for doing serious stuff.

Heavy duty imbued things, unless jewellery, do not last long and need be replaced after a relatively short usage.

The serious stuff imbuing is damn expensive (either in gold or time).........
That is the one I am debating about.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok end this thread now.

Popps does not pvp but wants to give everyone advice on pvp and all he knows about it.

I wouldn't take my car to get fixed by a lawyer. And I would not take legal advice from a mechanic.

Popps is clueless and continues to banter on about something he obviously knows nothing about. UO encourages ganking? How would EA stop ganking. I fight in smaller guilds who always have to deal with a zerg guild on each shard. Thats the way the game goes. We are still able to defend ourselves from zergs by field tactics. Knowing what to do and what not to do. Knowing how to isolate 1 or 2 guys from the gank, drop them, even up the #s, repeat. Each time you drop 1 or 2, the odds swing more in your favor.

Sadly I feel that even if a horrible zerg guild would 1v1 popps, he would die, even if they only had GM skills and no 120s, its because some players refuse to adapt or learn to play every aspect of UO. Please stop crying and Mods move this thread to spiels and rants b/c thats all popps is doing. He has hijacked this thread to become the Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton of stratics. Lets argue just to argue. If you are into debates go find a debate forum. You points have been countered numerous times but you continue to ignore the facts.

If a mod wants to ban me again for speaking out against this character so be it. I just think this is rather redeculous to let this go on in Uhall.

R

Reximus

Heavy duty imbued things, unless jewellery, do not last long and need be replaced after a relatively short usage.
That's BS, not 'relatively short usage', more like 1yr+, my PvP archers suit has only needed to be repaired once in like 2 months, and I use the char to PvM too, like gathering essences.

T

Trebr Drab

Am I ?

The problem is that no one else "thinks" like you do. What you call linear logic, we call the idiotic ramblings of someone without a clue. :gee:
I follow his logic. Does the lack of players willing to go to Fel mean that many others do too?

Paps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I follow his logic. Does the lack of players willing to go to Fel mean that many others do too?
the largest guild in the entire game [all shards] almost forbids their members from going into Fel.So therefore,,,"yes"

R

Reximus

the largest guild in the entire game [all shards] almost forbids their members from going into Fel.So therefore,,,"yes"
Sounds like that guild is the problem then, ban the guildmaster!

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stop trying to derail and lock this thread Connor. Just say no.

There is a reason why there are the game is empty threads. Reward / Punishment systems in the game benefit and encourage gold sellers, scriptors, and exploiters. Where is the PvP Arena? There is a new top dev. UO has to change or there will only be freeshards.

L

Lady Vengful Spirit

Power scrolls were originally added to the game to get more people interested in playing in fel. However the average champ spawn yields mostly 110 scrolls, and is often raided. Perhaps the chance of greater reward would inspire a greater risk and we could get more people in fel. As many have stated already, pvp is highly item based, and if we truely want more people to venture into the dangerous lands of fel, Then we must make all items and knowledge readily available to those willing to try it out.
Perhaps there does need the be a reward for the actual pvp, instead of the spawn it's self. Although I suppose it would be very dificult to code that in.

C

Connor_Graham

Stop trying to derail and lock this thread Connor. Just say no.
No.

Did you even bother to read Lindsay's posts? You know, the ones that have nothing to do with the topic?

Uh huh.

:stir:

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I am not going in to all the posts, complaints, flames and blah blah blah but I call serious BS on this statement! (and it is Choose btw)
Threads where something from Fel is being asked for in Tram = at least 1 (this one)

Threads where something from Tram is being asked for in Fel = 0

Equates to your 'calling of BS' to be BS.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its because some players refuse to adapt or learn to play every aspect of UO

May I ask something then ?

How widespread is the attendance of Champion Spawns for Powerscrolls ?

That is, assuming that the overall population of a shard is of X players, of these X players, how many actually attend the Champion Spawns for powerscrolls ?

My understanding, is that the fraction of these X players is marginal, but SO marginal that it shows there is a problem with the feature.

What a feature, OVER THE YEARS, shows such a low attendance of players then a bell should ring in developers' room.

Games are created for players to play, and the more the better. If a feature in the game stays relegated to too few players to use it then this shows to me something went darn wrong because only a tiny fraction of players feel using it.

Therefore, change is needed so that a much wider number of subscribers have access to it.

Yes, to me it is as simple as that..............

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Power scrolls were originally added to the game to get more people interested in playing in fel. However the average champ spawn yields mostly 110 scrolls, and is often raided. Perhaps the chance of greater reward would inspire a greater risk and we could get more people in fel. As many have stated already, pvp is highly item based, and if we truely want more people to venture into the dangerous lands of fel, Then we must make all items and knowledge readily available to those willing to try it out.
Perhaps there does need the be a reward for the actual pvp, instead of the spawn it's self. Although I suppose it would be very dificult to code that in.

I find this post very interesting, really very interesting. Welcome to the Forums, Lady Vengful Spirit...

Let's ask ourselves, a feature (Champion Spawns) hardly used by only a marginal fraction of the players of the shard is a succesfull or a failing design feature ?

To me it is a failing one.

And if it failed, then the reasons of WHY it failed need be found and the feature changed so that it actually can have many more players participate to it.

The success of a design feature is determined by the high number of players who use it.

If hardly anyone uses it, that feature and its design utterly failed, IMHO.

Champion Spawns as they are in their design, especially since we have had 6 years now to test them, utterly failed given the extremely marginal number of users participating to them.

Personally, I actually think that Champion Spawns not only failed, but became damaging to PvP as they acted to deter people away from PvP.

Why ? Because they brought enormous wealth to only a few players. This resulted in alienating other players away from PvP as they felt the task of competing too much overwhelming and so, stayed the hell away from Felucca.

Something that was intended to bring more life to felucca utterly back fired and actually took players away from it.

Changes to the system are definately required, IMHO. Actually, it should have been changed years ago, I can't imagine why it has been going on like this for 6 years now, with all its negative effects.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want to attack someone for derailing this thread? Go after the source of the derailment, popps.

How so ?

Issues are connected and the argument, when discussed, gets developed.

Powerscrolls are connected to PvP because most likely PvP is required to get Powerscrolls.

Discussing about Powerscrolls without discussing about PvP makes no sense to me.

The two things are 1 thing, actually. So, they need to be discussed as one.

There is no derailment when they are actually the same issue.

That's at least as I see it.

C

Connor_Graham

That is, assuming that the overall population of a shard is of X players, of these X players, how many actually attend the Champion Spawns for powerscrolls ?
25%. That's hardly the "marginal" number you'd like people to believe it is. Considering that Fel is one landmass where the "Tram" side of the moongate is Tram, Tokuno, Ilsh, Ter Mur, Malas, and the Abyss, it's a pretty damn high number of people all in the same place. You won't find the same concentration of players outside of an event at any location that's not Fel.

Quit while you're behind.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Says who ?

May have the link to the official data from the Developers please ?

Thanks............

P.S. 25% equals to 1 in 4 players of a shard which, to my experience of Champion Spawns, is way, but way more than I noticed. Perhaps it more is like 2.5% like 1 in 40 ??
Oh, and the X is referred to players of the shard, not the facet............We need to know what fraction of the players who play the entire shard use a feature, not a subset of a subset of a subset....

L

Lady Vengful Spirit

Thanks for the welcome popps. You bring up great points as well. The System is broken, it has been broken since the introduction of trammel. The sad and simple fact is that it will never be the same again. If all of UO were again to be on a fel rule set, then we would most likely lose the thousands of players who simply do not like to pvp. I can't even pretend to know any sure fix to this problem, I can only take joy in offering my idea's as they come to me *smiles*

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the welcome popps. You bring up great points as well. The System is broken, it has been broken since the introduction of trammel. The sad and simple fact is that it will never be the same again. If all of UO were again to be on a fel rule set, then we would most likely lose the thousands of players who simply do not like to pvp. I can't even pretend to know any sure fix to this problem, I can only take joy in offering my idea's as they come to me *smiles*

Yes.
I think what needs be found is a way to "guide" players into PvP, introduce them into PvP so to finally make PvP that important aspect of the game it deserves.

But also, it is absolutely necessary that any and all players feel they have the same chances at winning fights in PvP or whatever is done will fail.

This means, to me, that noone when starting a fight should have the upper hand towards winning, not for superior gear, not for superior weapons, not for superior wealth.

Combat and outcome of a PvP fight should solely be determined by cleverness in fighting, not because someone uses more mods than someone else.

Yes, I am convinced UO needs an entire new system for PvP if we want PvP to truly become widespread.

mbraud4

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, UO isnt here to spoon feed a bunch of whining punks who are too scared to go out and earn items the hard way. Powerscrolls have been fel forever, its the only thing thats fel only. Grow a set and go earn them, fight for them, do what it takes. I cant believe a mod has not closed this yet. You must be in the inner circle because you are about as ignorant as they come around here. Most forums I participate in would not put up with your non sense. If you want to try and make a point, thats fine ,but when your "point" is counter-argued beyond belief and you consistently continue to substitute reality with your own fantasy world in your head, you begin to cross the line.

For all those who dont feel like reading 3 pages of the same statements over and over, I will sum up this thread

Popps wants PS in tram, he cant fight in fel, he wants to pvm, he doesnt want to pvp, he wants items in game that may require some pvp activity, this interferes with his goal, how can we fix this, change the game mechanics to suit his needs, why? because he cries. /thread

Popps are you into role playing? I am too now, in our UO role playing world I hope your horse runs off the road on your way to town and you smack into a tree breaking your UO neck and dying. This is all role playing of course b/c thats allowed, now I wouldnt really wish that on you. This is role playing man, isn't it fun?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Yes.
I think what needs be found is a way to "guide" players into PvP, introduce them into PvP so to finally make PvP that important aspect of the game it deserves.
Guilds.

But also, it is absolutely necessary that any and all players feel they have the same chances at winning fights in PvP or whatever is done will fail.

This means, to me, that noone when starting a fight should have the upper hand towards winning, not for superior gear, not for superior weapons, not for superior wealth.
Someone new should not be on par with someone who has been playing for years. If they were then there would be no point doing anything. What would be the point in hunting for artifacts, knowing your template, working skills, building your characters if you were no better than someone who hadn't.

Combat and outcome of a PvP fight should solely be determined by cleverness in fighting, not because someone uses more mods than someone else.
It is with spell play. A 7x GM Mage can beat a 6x 120 Mage if they have better spell play.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Someone new should not be on par with someone who has been playing for years. If they were then there would be no point doing anything.
Even if new players had all the weapons/armor needed they would still get dominated. PvP skill/experience still has its place in this game even though it has become highly item-based.

*notices how far off topic this thread is about low-end ps for tram has gone*

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Even if new players had all the weapons/armor needed they would still get dominated. PvP skill/experience still has its place in this game even though it has become highly item-based.

*notices how far off topic this thread about low-end ps for tram has gone*
I agree. *On both counts*

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
poops

this is why test exists

some only play there for this reason go make a toon and suit it out learn for free how to pvp my son did when he was 11 so if he could u should be good

that is place for learning

pvp is a end game in this game for 20 percent of pop rest really dont care!!!!!!

Yes.

Yes, I am convinced UO needs an entire new system for PvP if we want PvP to truly become widespread.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There should be all Tram shards.
There should be all Fel shards, for players who want less risk vs rewards.
There should be permanent ongoing Arena/Tournaments. Quarterly winners get uniquely labelled rares - deco and blessed clothing. Have Pvm arenas too, like fastest to kill 10 balrons, fastest 4 person team to kill Meli.
In the meantime, drop all PS in Tram and sell gold online in the EA shop. Tell all these gold and item sellers, scriptors and exploiters to suck an egg.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is why test exists

How long has the Test server existed for ?

Years upon years.

Did it help solve the problem that PvP in Ultima Online has ?

How many players do Siege and Mugen have ?

I think that we need to first decide whether or not there is a problem with PvP in Ultima Online.

I hear some saying do not touch or change PvP and yet, I hear complaints how deserted Siege and Mugen are or the Felucca facets on all shards and how hardly anyone but the same players go to Champion Spawns.

So, I ask, is there a problem with PvP in Ultima Online that deters many players from wanting to even get close to it ?

If there is no problem at all and PvP in UO is alive and thriving with lots of participants then for what I am concerned we can end this discussion right here.

But instead, if we decide that there does is a problem with PvP resulting in the vast majority of players not wanting to get anywhere close to it well, then if we want PvP to prosper in UO we NEED to find out what is keeping so many players away from it.

And the only people who know why they are not PvPing is those who, aheam, stay the hell away from PvP, whatever their reasons may be.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes.

Apparently they are not enough if I see that PvP is scarcely seeked by players and that Siege and Mugen are pretty much deserted shards.
If a feature is scarcely used by players (PvP) then this shows to me that something ain't working well about it, that there are problems.

We've had Guilds for a very long time and yet, we STILL have PvP in this game at a sad state.
Clearly, they are not enough, IMHO and something else, different, then needs be done and changed about PvP so as to make it more popular and more wide spread among players.

Someone new should not be on par with someone who has been playing for years. If they were then there would be no point doing anything. What would be the point in hunting for artifacts, knowing your template, working skills, building your characters if you were no better than someone who hadn't.

The way I see it, PvM and PvP should have their combat dealt with differently.
While for PvM items could still be usefull, for PvP they should not, so as to bring players more on an equal basis. Strategies of combat (experience) should be far more important and it could be derived from usage of potions, of special moves, anything cheaply and readily available to everyone.

This way, while players would still need to hunt for items for PvM, they would not need so for PvP and only combat experience would make the difference, not gear or wealth.

It is with spell play. A 7x GM Mage can beat a 6x 120 Mage if they have better spell play.
That is a good example of what I see as combat experience, clever use of combat tactics. For spells we have something but for melee or archery it is modifiers who make the big difference.
Besides, modifiers still play a role in defense and I would like this to go as well.

The way I see it, players should learn defense tactics and not just put up a number of resistances or defense modifiers thanking to their suit.
Tactics can be learned by everyone through experience while the best modifiers might be exclusive of a limited number of players.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Possibly but there is, IMHO, an entire world of difference.

While experience can be cheaply learned through combat training, and everyone willing to, can do it in a reasonable time, tieing PvP combat outcome to modifiers on top of combat experience also puts modifiers which, to high levels, make PvPing an expensive habit not open to, for example, casual players who don't have the time to either power game or earn the wealth necessary to keep up.

IMHO, modifiers work against PvP as they deter more players away from PvP rather than attract players to PvP.

So, I'd rather prefer to see modifiers go away and only combat experience be the determinant factor for who wins or looses a PvP fight. At least, everyone will cheaply be able to get their combat training and learn it in a reasonable time.

Combat Arenas for PvP could greatly help, also, to introduce more players to PvP and get them used to it and more knowledged about it.

F

Fink

So, I'd rather prefer to see modifiers go away and only combat experience be the determinant factor for who wins or looses a PvP fight.
This would still skew fights toward the more established players, so I don't think it will work as you appear to intend.

At least, everyone will cheaply be able to get their combat training and learn it in a reasonable time.
I don't think learning to pvp is something you ever "complete". There is no fixed amount of data to absorb, and I don't think we should dumb it down. I believe the talent to think and adapt is as important as acquired knowledge, and I feel this is what gives the truly great pvpers their advantage. Skill can be taught, experience can be acquired, but talent is inherent.

Status
Not open for further replies.