• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unattended Scripting Tamers Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So your saying you are deathgating players OK. Ima be camping around paging on you so dont worry.
Well if they wern't U.M.ing taming that wouldn't be a problem now would it? I am glad to see the tamers getting busted like this.

P

peanutbutter

Its getting real easy to spot the scripters now isnt it lol!!

UNattended macroing isn't allowed and you ARE breaking the rules to which you clicked the "I Agree" option to.

Attended macroing IS allowed, although frowned upon by some, BUT if you macro attended it is very easy to stop the macro / hide / recall out etc etc before you die from the new location a gate puts you in or even heres an idea if attended click the option that says "NO i dont want to go through that gate.

God damn it!!! Peanut its tha easy.

Gating to other locations whilst other players around you is perfectly ok - How is it the gaters fault if someone stupid enough to go through the gate dies ESPECIALLY when IT IS ANNOUNCED they are going to tame white wyrms.

Basically if you dont want to die dont maco unattended! Hell, go play with something which encourages lame ass, no brainer, lazy scripting idiots!! I hear Barbie Dolls are suffering a slump in sales maybe you could go get some? Oh NO NO wait!!! you need to have brains to use an imagination..

Go cheat elsewhere and stop ruining UO!

i haven't had that done to me, but there is a problem with gates.

half the time i try to walk through one, it just goes... no window to ask me if i WANT to. the other half, i get the window.

now, that said... 99% of the time my spirit lacks the cohesion anyway.

i've never... ever.. been afk while doin ganything in the game (except to sit at the bank).

i;m thinking about the person who is afk macroing or even not afk. what if they have no armor on? and the gate doesn's give them the option to say no?
they die. not fare. wrong to make that happen.

and by his standard, if it's wrong in one instance it's wrong in all instances, right?

THINK. someday your actions are going to hurt a person who wasn't doing anything wrong.

A

AesSedai

- Yup, I was right, it's time to grab some
:popcorn:
and catch-up with this jelly

P

peanutbutter

Well if they wern't U.M.ing taming that wouldn't be a problem now would it? I am glad to see the tamers getting busted like this.
why?

i don't paly a tamer...

but what happened to you as a child that would make you take pleasure in seeing this?

you should be glad to see dupers get caught or to see a community support eachother.

i had a frined who scripted at the animal pit there. he never had a tamer and so he wanted one, bud worked 10 hours a day and didn't have time to make one.

asked me (since i'm working on my masters) to do it for him and i said HELL NO... cause tamers SUCK.

so he scripted. it was the only way he could get to a reasonable level in less than 8 months ( we did the math).

why make him suffer? he's been playing the game 5 years longer than me... he deserves it.

but you want to make him suffer because the game mechanics won't allow him to build a character in a reasonable amount of time.

don't hate him. hate the mechanics and the devs for forcing him to do it.

P

peanutbutter

sry bout the crooked typnig... meh meds is kickin...

weeee.

A

AesSedai

- there, all caught up.

Peanutbutter: You really want your defense to be that the dev.s forced him to do it because he didn't have the time to legitimately train a skill like every other fairplayer has? As a veteran he deserves the 'free' skill? 'Level 6'? Thinking of others (as in others involved in the same closed-system game, perhaps)? Really? Okay.

K

kray2s

why?

i don't paly a tamer...

but what happened to you as a child that would make you take pleasure in seeing this?

you should be glad to see dupers get caught or to see a community support eachother.

i had a frined who scripted at the animal pit there. he never had a tamer and so he wanted one, bud worked 10 hours a day and didn't have time to make one.

asked me (since i'm working on my masters) to do it for him and i said HELL NO... cause tamers SUCK.

so he scripted. it was the only way he could get to a reasonable level in less than 8 months ( we did the math).

why make him suffer? he's been playing the game 5 years longer than me... he deserves it.

but you want to make him suffer because the game mechanics won't allow him to build a character in a reasonable amount of time.

don't hate him. hate the mechanics and the devs for forcing him to do it.

First of all if you dont play a tamer why you so worried by people gating to other areas??? Good or bad it doesnt affect you!!

Second - You maybe studying for a masters but try to study life too! For every action you take affects others yet all you seem to care about is you and your little clique!

Third I would love to see a community spirit back in UO but it is THE DUPERS SCRIPTERS etc THAT HAVE HELPED DESTROY the community. Along with griefers the game is being damaged for the older genuine player that has spent the days weeks months and years training their chars and gathering their resources and gold.

The farmers and unattended macroers deserve all they get if someone gates to another area and their unattended script controled char follows through. It is a risk they take when doing things this way!!!

I PLEDGE MY FULL SUPPORT to the original poster and feel that anyone wnting to follow their example should NOT be whinged and whined at by those that are supporting what essentially breaks the rules!

It is the honest player that suffers (NOT someone scripting taming = i hope your friend enjoys his tamer with the knowledge it was built with no love or affection or dedication!) and the honest player that has their enjoyment ruined by the mindless selfish, gime gime gime, i must have it NOW mummy attitude of players that script!!!

These days all people care about is number1 and f**k all else.

YOU want community spirit? YET you advocate that scripting is ok???

Either you are involved in such activities or if brains were dynamite you wouldnt be able to blow your ears off!!! Get a grip and remember this - The reason UO is declining is NOT down, just to game mechanics and devs - some of the responsibility HAS to lay at the feet of the players playing the game! Thusly, whilst a raising minority such as yourself has the kind of mentality you are showing then the game you claim to love more than life itself is going to forever reside in turmoil!!!!

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
besides, are they hurting you? what is it that they do that is so horrible that you feel you must take action?

what we should be focusing on is exploits and hacks that actually HURT other players.

crafters and trainers don't bother or affect anybody's gameplay.
Well, I can tell you that script tamers most certainly affect my gameplay. When I'm contantly having my bulls stolen by someone who isn't even there before I have a chance to actually tame them, I start getting just a tad frustrated.

and yes, scripting MAY be wrong, but also NECESSARY.
Pray tell, when is scripting ever "necessary"?

it was bragging... originally. you were bragging about killing people who weren't bothering you.
Okay, I'm not sure how many people would agree, but I'm one of the people that train my characters HONESTLY. When I see someone script taming, disrupting my training, spamming spells, etc, it bothers me.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep up the good work I say.

If you are scripting attended and get caught in his/her gate then you need a better script. No excuses. Cry more. Post count +1.

P

peanutbutter

hee hee.

it was fun.

really, the fin meds just put me in a mood to argue.

i agree with most of what you guys said. scripting is not a good thing at all.

but i also think that there are certain skills (snooping, stealing, taming, and most crafting skills) that are WAY too hard to work up and that the devs should seriously consider adjusting these if they ever what to see more interest in the game.

that said, very good arguments. i was mostly playing devil's advocate just to keep the trehad going and because it's fun.

night all!

:)

oh, and no hard feelings on the comments that were rude, i hope. again, part of keeping the debate going.

peace.

K

kray2s

If the skills are harder to train then you are left with more satisfaction when done honestly than if you train them up in 5 mins!

Satisfaction and pride in your work is one of lifes best rewards!

Not having to work for what you want defeats the object so why even bother?

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why?

i don't paly a tamer...

As I see it,the tamer template is the "spoiled lil rich kid" of UO.Is taming bulls just too hard to do,that those that play tamers can't deal with it without cheating? Instant gratification ftw?

U

UOKaiser

As I see it,the tamer template is the "spoiled lil rich kid" of UO.Is taming bulls just too hard to do,that those that play tamers can't deal with it without cheating? Instant gratification ftw?
I don't know man not talking about the scripting thing just the spoiled rich kid comment. I worked 2 tamers on 2 accounts for years from 32 my highest tamer got 101.3 my main characters are dexter and mage used to be tank mage but after the changes i split that character up to those 2. It's extremly easy to work up my mage and dexter took me no time at all and after playing them it's nice to have a meatshield but my poor tamer comes in contact with anything without a pet im usually dead in seconds am really not used to that im used to taking hits and dishing it back. I'ts like having a powerful friend but youre just a rookie running away from mongbats. So hard and long to raise taming and youre pet is the only reason you can live.
I have respect for every template in the game there is definetly no easy mode in any of them from tamers-to bards to sampires to mages all require skills different from each other but skills non the less.

R

Rix/\

2 wrong don't make a right

players don't have authority to take action on another player for doing wrong. By doing this your just at fault as the unattended scriptor and both should be perma banned. By coming here and posting your actions is about as foolish as a scriptor posting their scripts.
Wonder why it's hard to get a response from a GM? why should they respond when players take it upon themselves to take action? Seriously grow up, just report their actions to proper authority and move on don't become some UO drama queen about the issue making it out like your saving the day.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These threads just get more funny over time...

I just love the attitude of "if they aren't hurting you personally, they ought to be left to break every rule going" Especially when the OP made it clear where the gate was going to and didn't lure the bot in there. The OP did nothing wrong, the fault rests entirely with a "player" who clearly wasn't watching his script and not only used illegal 3rd party software but unattended too. If he had just been glancing over at his screen, he'd have seen what was about to happen and prevented it.

The only reason anyone would stick up for a bot player in the above scenario was if they engaged in scripting themselves and didn't want their bot to run through a gate. It wasn't common knowledge that bots went through gates, otherwise it would have been done to stop bots long ago. So you can hardly argue that the OP deliberately set up the gate for the bot to go through, and given that he said where the gate went, he didn't mislead the bot. And how was the OP supposed to know the bot would click OK on a gate gump when it was only set to tame?

I'd suggest in future if you're around a bot and open a gate, you open one to a safe town location. Then whether you do it deliberately or not, you can't be held responsible for some bot dying. If you choose to gate a bot to stop it from scripting, you should use safe runes and cover yourself for any bots owners who decide to page on you.

Wenchy

R

Rix/\

I don't want to play the game worrying about vigilante players thinking everyones a scripter
anymore then I want to see a bunch of zombified players wondering around mining and lumberjacking. Just report it by the options the game gives you and move on no reason to make anymore of it then that. It's giving too much attention to the point some playes are immature enuff to go and pretend they are unattended taming just to report this guy now for some stupid reason and it'll be his luck he'll get that GM that's having a bad day and don't want to hear who's at fault and gives both 72 hr ban. Sometimes it sounds like your doing a noble thing but you really need to think it through before you act.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want to play the game worrying about vigilante players thinking everyones a scripter
anymore then I want to see a bunch of zombified players wondering around mining and lumberjacking. Just report it by the options the game gives you and move on no reason to make anymore of it then that. It's giving too much attention to the point some playes are immature enuff to go and pretend they are unattended taming just to report this guy now for some stupid reason and it'll be his luck he'll get that GM that's having a bad day and don't want to hear who's at fault and gives both 72 hr ban. Sometimes it sounds like your doing a noble thing but you really need to think it through before you act.

Sense of social responsibility, either you have one or you don't. In game or out.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA actually did what they should to prevent and deal with cheating, there would be no need for any player to take action themselves.

We all have better things to do than compete with and contend with cheats. I page GMs and I don't break the rules, but while EA continue to allow some cheats to remain, I'll use legal tactics to stop a bot if it's necessary. I don't do it for brownie points, I do it because these bots set an example to casual cheats that says "it's ok to cheat". By stopping them, the GM or player says clearly "no, it's not acceptable". There are enough bots already, without leaving them to encourage more players to cheat. I want to play with attended players not bots, so rather than walk by, I do something to prevent cheating.

If EA would rather not have vigilante players, I suggest they get off their backsides and do something about the problem themselves. It's their world, so let's see them running it properly.

Wenchy

R

Rix/\

If EA actually did what they should to prevent and deal with cheating, there would be no need for any player to take action themselves.

We all have better things to do than compete with and contend with cheats. I page GMs and I don't break the rules, but while EA continue to allow some cheats to remain, I'll use legal tactics to stop a bot if it's necessary. I don't do it for brownie points, I do it because these bots set an example to casual cheats that says "it's ok to cheat". By stopping them, the GM or player says clearly "no, it's not acceptable". There are enough bots already, without leaving them to encourage more players to cheat. I want to play with attended players not bots, so rather than walk by, I do something to prevent cheating.

If EA would rather not have vigilante players, I suggest they get off their backsides and do something about the problem themselves. It's their world, so let's see them running it properly.

Wenchy

Then question is do they actually care if a low populated game community has these sort of issues with a online game service they provide or do they just ignore the complants bank the monthly fees milking your money till it's time to close the doors on UO?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then question is do they actually care if a low populated game community has these sort of issues with a online game service they provide or do they just ignore the complants bank the monthly fees milking your money till it's time to close the doors on UO?

I care. And, looking at this thread, so do a fair few other people.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making a gate without advertising it as another location is not death gating. Feel free to report that till hell freezes over.

People who are arguing why should anyone care and waste their time doing this.. well why do you care about how they spend their time playing the game and waste your time arguing about it on the forums? Ya, that's right. Move along.

R

Rix/\

I'm glad that you do, but do you work for UO's dev team? work for any part of EA/MYTHIC?
I would like to hope every player cared, I'm refering toEA/MYTHIC in my question as to if they cared or not.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm glad that you do, but do you work for UO's dev team? work for any part of EA/MYTHIC?
I would like to hope every player cared, I'm refering toEA/MYTHIC in my question as to if they cared or not.

I'd say it's patently obvious that, having made this rule, EA don't actully give much of a stuff one way or another. If they did, they'd do the hell of a lot more about it than they do. Like everyone else, I had a big ol' cheesy grin on my face when I saw the pictures of the burning houses. What, exactly, have they done since? Nada, nothing, zilch, zero. I'd also say that a lot of players are exploiting this attitude. Fortunately, there are still a lot left that don't. And there are a lot that I know of that combat scripters that I haven't seen here. You know what it takes to stop yourself being seen as a scripter? 'Hello there :), how you doing, how's it going' etc etc. That simple. I could type about a dozen names here of scripters. That's just the ones I've seen. That's at least a dozen too many.

A couple of things occur to me here. As leader of a guild that specifically helps out new players, with every aspect, basically teaching them to play, I think of scripters in much the same terms as I think of people who cross the road before the green man pops up when I'm standing there with my kids (no, I don't see my new player guildies as kids, it's the only parallel that comes to mind!) They're idiots, and, as my Mum says, if you can't be a good example, you'll have to be a terrible warning. So, when someone crosses the road on the red man, we use them as a 'how not to' example to the kids. So when I'm teaching my new guildies how to play, we mention scripting and third party progs and how they're illegal in UO. We also teach them how to recognise, and deal with, scripters. The choices are page, and nothing will be done, or deal with it yourself. We give both options. If there's someone about that doesn't know how to spot a bot, I'll call them when I find one and show them what to look for. Then they know. I also advise that they should call a more experienced player to check too, then there are no mistakes made. But lets face it, bots are dead easy to spot. I mean, when you tame and remove all the bulls from jhelom pen and the player in question simply runs around on the same circuit without deviation for several hours, it's not going to take an einstein to work it out, is it?

The other thing that occurs is that this is the same sense of social responsibility as in real life. If, for example, I saw someone up a ladder breaking into my neighbours house, then I would call the police. However, if I knew that the police were not going to show up (and in the UK, they frequently don't for burglary) then I'm going to go and ask that person what they think they're doing. When I've established that they're breaking in, I'm going to grab that ladder and knock them right off it. If they break a leg or something, tough luck. If they're already in the house, then me and the dog are going to be waiting for them when they come out. If I find someone with a spray can doodling on a wall, they're going home covered head to toe in paint. If someone tries to mug me and gets the worst of it, I WILL have everything out of their pockets and slap them around some into the bargain. Social responsibilty. Or the other side of that, what Douglas Adams referred to as the SEP field. The Somebody Elses Problem field. Well, you know, it's not. It's mine, and yours, and theirs and the problem of every single honest player or person, real life or in game. It's OUR problem, and if we don't deal with it, then we ALL lose.

D

Dragon Slave.

If your unattended, and a script is walking you thru a gate. Then I'm sorry about your damn luck.

Thats what it boils down too, we all probably had a time where we dropped a weight on the spacebar to raise a skill, some of us might have even been jailed for it, I was. And when I chose to cheat, or take the easy way out I paid the consequences.

If your gonna run a script, and be unattended, then you accept what ever happens while your away from the computer. Training, goldfarming, exploiting, etc..

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't need to ask a question like that. The lack of action proves the level of care EA have for their community. But players like myself want to play UO and don't want to freeshard. So it comes down to balancing how much fun you have to how sick you are of cheating and other rubbish that happens in game. Money talks. I've drawn a line under the date I'm closing my accounts, and it's looking increasingly like that will happen. But while I'm around I'll do what I can against cheaters, because I still want UO to be a better place. You may be happy to play and ignore the cheats, but that doesn't mean everyone should.

Wenchy

L

Lord Kynd

I'm not doing anything to anyone. I am simply playing the game. It's the bots that are killing themselves. You seemed determined to make this about how you are a L33t scripter who didn't get caught. No one cares.
if no one cares , then why do you waste your time ?
thats the part that bugs me the most, people who are out to make the game worse.
instead of telling on people which is a what 6th grade thing to do ? why not petition EA/Mythic to change things so the scripters just can not do it ?
after all the scripters are only cheating themselves out of the games true enjoyment.
yet you can work your skills, hunt the way you like to.. all of this is not truely effected by scripters doing what they do because they seem to think that cheating is the way to get ahead.
you should have the simple satisfaction in knowing that you do not cheat and that you know how to play better than someone who has not actually put the time into the game like some of us have.

griefing is griefing also, regardless if the person is breaking the rules and are unattended or not. they are still paying the same price to pay as you and me.

also, i really hope you are very very perfect and never do anything wrong or cheat in anything ever to throw so many stones. you know what they say about living in a glass house..

false accusations are also a form of fraud.

C

Connor_Graham

and yes, scripting MAY be wrong, but also NECESSARY.
Since UO is a privately owned and managed video game and not the real world, the rules specifically set forth by the owner and agreed to by every player dictate what's right and what's wrong, not the moral or ethical rules that govern real life situations. Therefore, scripting is most definitely ALWAYS wrong, and NEVER is necessary. Any action in game can be done manually and does not require any script to complete. Choosing to script an action is an individual decision, not something that is a necessity to achieve any end in the game.

also, please go to JSTOR and do a keyword search "morality and contracts", "the oppression of legal contracts", "media control through contracts", and especially "contracts are not moral promises"
Why don't you go to Dictionary.com and look up the word SOPHOMORE so you can spell it correctly in the future? You'd think that someone that's claiming such high minded thinking would correctly spell a word that they're using as an intended insult.

L

Lord Kynd

yes, the same 5 people reposting on every topic regarding this shows alot of 'care'.
instead of complaining, who not offer solutions so these people do not resort to cheating ?
really if you have to cheat in UO then maybe you shouldn't be playing UO as it is to hard for you?
guess the keyword here is 'few' :p

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if no one cares , then why do you waste your time ?
thats the part that bugs me the most, people who are out to make the game worse.
instead of telling on people which is a what 6th grade thing to do ? why not petition EA/Mythic to change things so the scripters just can not do it ?
after all the scripters are only cheating themselves out of the games true enjoyment.
yet you can work your skills, hunt the way you like to.. all of this is not truely effected by scripters doing what they do because they seem to think that cheating is the way to get ahead.
you should have the simple satisfaction in knowing that you do not cheat and that you know how to play better than someone who has not actually put the time into the game like some of us have.

griefing is griefing also, regardless if the person is breaking the rules and are unattended or not. they are still paying the same price to pay as you and me.

also, i really hope you are very very perfect and never do anything wrong or cheat in anything ever to throw so many stones. you know what they say about living in a glass house..

false accusations are also a form of fraud.
This 'debate', for want of a better word, has been raging on these boards since I started to play 2yrs ago. People have asked and asked and asked and made suggestions and offered solutions, opinions and thoughts on the subject of scripting. EA's response has been to blow up a few houses, nerf a few things that hurt honest players more than scripters and that's it. So really, it's hardly surprising that players will take care of it themselves.

As for the not hurting anyone. Well. BOS, nerfed as a scripter 'fix'. Big help that was, as a lot of us said at the time. But it's hurt a lot of legit players, and hasn't slowed the scripters down in the slightest. Mind you, my rather profitable business in partnership with a fel thief has been hurt - he'd steal POF off 'em, I'd buy it cheap and sell it on! Scripting miners/tailors/bod fillers/lumberjacks hurt the honest ones. They hurt 'em a lot, because if you're an honest player, you can't get a fair price for your goods. Why? Because you aren't a bot, and you can't run 24/7, as the bots do. On countless accounts over all shards. So the prices of resources drop and you can't sell unless you match them. And all of your hard work is instantly devalued.

The bot I found last night. He was clearly a bot. A player wouldn't have stuck to the bull I'd just tamed that way. We did several laps of the pen before I got bored and parked him and the bull outside of it. He was artied to the ears and it was all blessed. That's not a player making up gametime whilst fulfilling real life commitments. That's someone running a script to make money. Be it by selling on the account when it hits legendary (which it won't be doing in the farmyard on Europa) or to use it to farm gold and arties, which will be sold on either in game or off a website somewhere. Which again hurts honest players because it drops the value of everything they trade, rendering their hard work, once again, without real value.

Scripters damage this game. EA do nothing about them. So don't be surprised if there's little unofficial 'neighbourhood watches' across the shards. If you don't have the stomach to deal with the problem, get out of the way and let those who do take care of it.

R

Rix/\

I just think it gets out of hand when the community goes vigilante and starts harassing the players who are just ignoreing those they don't know but are accused of being unattended.

Lets all don't be hypocrites with UO and scripting, I know 95% of the community including straics mods and reporters ( don't act innocent I have ICQ records of trades with some of you ) script in one way or another, have done it, do it now or w/e. And the 5% that don't just probally don't understand it enuff to do it right. My guess the main reason it's so hard for everyone to let go of 2D client. But who cares other then this low population of blood thirsty gamers craving for their pixtel crack about to start eating on each other if the next publish doesn't come soon. The dev's made the game scriptable, exploitable, cheatable. They are reasponsible for any negative effect these cheats or exploits have but instead they more or less tell you play at your own risk and we'll enforce bans as we see fit. It sucks I agree but it doesn't give good enough reason for just any player to take matters in their own hands and end up being wrong and harass an innocent young player who just don't know better. That way the game needs to be monitored better by GM's and rules enforced by GM's. UNBIAS GM's if it were a perfect world.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Kudos to the original poster for thinking outside the box!

This is classic UO folks! When people are breaking the law, and the GMs do nothing to solve it, it is up to the players to police our world. When the game was first conceived, and there was no Trammel, someone like the scripter being gated would have been killed by another player, and that was perfectly acceptable.

When that method of enforcement was removed from the game, it left us all at the mercy of an uncaring team of GMs that pay no attention to this sort of thing.

Someone asked ... "was this person hurting you?"

Yes. That person is hurting everyone that plays Ultima Online, because they are taking resources that others could be using. In this case, they are taking up tames that prospective tamers might want to use to work their skills up with...real people, sitting in front of the game for hours on end.

If you don't want to invest the time in developing your character, what is the point at even playing the game? <---tangent for another thread...please ignore.

I, for one, am glad to see the community becoming involved, in whatever way they can, to be a part of shaping our world, instead of just collecting crap and sitting around at the bank.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, the same 5 people reposting on every topic regarding this shows alot of 'care'.
instead of complaining, who not offer solutions so these people do not resort to cheating ?
really if you have to cheat in UO then maybe you shouldn't be playing UO as it is to hard for you?
guess the keyword here is 'few' :p
Have you been reading UHall over the past few years? If you have, then you'd know full well that players have petitioned till they're blue in the face for EA to do something. We've offered up suggestions, we've done far more than a customer should be doing when we're the customer. For years. And a darn sight more than 5 of us too. The sad thing is, those players are gradually tiring of EA's "customer service" and quitting. I'll be going once my game time runs out on my accounts.

It just makes me wonder what sort of game community you guys want. I've seen a lot of truly lovely community orientated RPers and PvPers quit UO over the past few years. Not even 1000 bots can equal 1 of those players. Yet you still seem to think bots should be molly-coddled and brand a player as a griefer when they're nothing of the sort. Just keep attacking players who step up and do something. It won't be UO Stygian Abyss, it'll be UO Scripters Ahoy. Good luck attracting new players for that one, you'll need it.

Wenchy

L

Lord Kynd

Making a gate without advertising it as another location is not death gating. Feel free to report that till hell freezes over.

People who are arguing why should anyone care and waste their time doing this.. well why do you care about how they spend their time playing the game and waste your time arguing about it on the forums? Ya, that's right. Move along.
i'll bit, and not just because we don't see eye to eye.. more because i seem to be able to see things 'out of the box' where some people have blinders on.
now , back to topic...

being as they mentioned that they where doing this on purpose to grief ( even if worded tricky) someone else whethere attended or not(against the rules) ( you and no one else can 'prove' the person is cheating keep that in mind ), so yes reporting a person for griefing would work, provided you do not recieve the gump ( and 99% of the time when i gate hop i don't recieve gump's.. town or not.

now that that part is settled ...

the second part...
well being as i care about the game and currently invasions are so screwed up because of EA/Mythic tying it to factions it doesn't leave a whole lot of things to do.
to me these few people that seem set of thinking they are 'god' and so much better than everyone else and who never in there life have cheated or done anything wrong are working on ruineing the game if anything just thru meer paranoia. these people toss accusations left and right with no proof just specualtion. it got so bad a few months ago the only way to avoid someone thinking you where scripting was to just not play.. now because these people are doing this this makes the game un-enjoyable to many others. many have quit, not because of teh cheaters, but because of the people that try to get others into trouble,,, the best way to avoid trouble is to stay away from it.
well i am sorry for you but i pay my share of dues to EA/Mythic each month so my opinion holds the same weight as yours.

remember most 'rares' where created or obtained thru exploits in one way shape or form, most 'rare' items where never ment to be in players possesions. ya'll just have gotten lucky mostly that they have left these items alone, for the most part. but still... think about this ...
ok you have 4 rare talking statues lets say, ok i now say this is not fair to me and you cheated by having them and i pay the same as you do to play so i should be entitled to have such luxuries.... right ? (legal rare item .. ruined painting from doom ) but this is not about rares.

maybe if they would change how skill gains work that would help remove alot of the scripting problems ya'll have. maybe change how looting works, pvp should just be removed and that would solve the so called speedhacking( tweak your connection and computer so it runs better) and scripting issues there. there are way's to combate cheating and scripting rather than to try to get another paying person to be banned, try helping them to learn they do not have to cheat to get ahead.
to me the more people accuse others of this and if EA/Mythic where to ban people just because someone else says so and so has to be cheating because i can not do this ( your shortcoming not the other persons) then just how many paying customers are left ? how long do you think UO would stay 'afloat' when EA/Mythic can not cover there overhead to operate this game?
my guess is that each game draws it's own funds and thats what they work with, not some big account that all games work off of, perhaps this is also why UO does not get the advertising it desperatly needs.
sure doing mass bannings of big time cheaters like dupers is a must thing to do, those people are ruining the game.
but tehn again last i knew scripting doesn't allow you to do things that any other player can not do without scripting, it does not allow a person to dupe items, it does not give them 'god mode'. if fact scripting does exactly what you and i and anyone else can do with a little real life skill and properly set macro's. sure they can be un-attended which is against the rules, but so can a person jamming a weight or a stick to hold a key down and running to use the bathroom or go grab a snack. un-attended is un-attended period.

if you only knew how many times i have yelled at my girlfriend because she like to go afk and just stand wherever, she has gotten ganked by a guilded and looted clean from this (somehow her insurance did not work).. she has also been accused of running a script because she was simply standing in one spot for to long ??

i know you attitude so i don't plan on returning to this threed.
and don't think for a minute this is a personal attack, it is simply a reply. it is not my fault you are wrong.

i'll leave you with this thought,,,, usually (9 out of 10 times proven) it is those that do the accusing that are doing the deed. (think real life and people who cheat on there spouses).

btw on a side note Tomas, thanks for the info about those items, nice to see that even thru our differeances you are still helpfull. but it's worse to see that people cheat others by taking advantage of something they might not know about.. that vendor had those items listed as ultra rares. that type of cheat is one that ruins the game for others. unless you see spending say 20 million on a item just to go and tell one of your freinds .. hey check out this cool item i just bought, only to be laughed at and told it is only worth 500k tops.
of course i 99% expect you to either flag my account , ban me, or delete this post. i also persume that this threed will soon become locked like the others, forgotten about then restarted as a different topic.

F

Fink

I remmemebr once i was taming a guy started killing all the bulls i tried to tame, then he tamed the bulls and took them away to who knows where. Why he do that? Dont know guess so I wouldnt tame maybe he thought i was unattended though he didnt say a word to me i said what the hell to him but ignored me and tamed them and gated them away. Why dont those people get banned I ask you that. Scripters are the least of my problems it's the grifters I detest with a passion.
If he gated them away fresh ones would have spawned, no problem.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you gate the bulls away from the jhelom pens they don't respawn until about a week later. someone keeps stealing the ones from napa and it's a royal p.i.t.a. - i'm a newbie to taming and i was thrilled to discover jhelom pen since it has animals to tame at every level and the respawn rate is really fast. that's why i think so many scripters like it there. since some a55 keeps gating the napa bulls off to god knows where, i've been going to other spots in search of bulls, but jhelom pen has like 4 at any time, so by the time you tame/kill one, another is spawning, and they don't wander off since they're penned in.

shanshu i think it's pretty classic that you open gates and mumble something about white wyrms and watch the scripters traipse through the gate... LOL...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm shocked and dismayed, a little depressed honestly, that anyone here has a problem with what the original poster is doing.

Anyone who is attended, even if they are scripting, can easily avoid this.

I've seen people get less mad at actual exploits themselves than people seem to be about someone who struggles against cheating simply by casting a gate spell.

To compare it to old-school "death gating" is....Bizarre. Especially given how many people will still to this day defend old-school death gating, yet are mad at setting a trap for an unattended macroer that is easily avoided by anyone who isn't.

-Galen's player

U

UOKaiser

They never respawned. I dont if he gated them to a boat a house or what but where ever he did those bulls did not come back and neither did I I just told everyone who I know about him and if they see them go mess up his gameplay and then I went tamed elsewhere. Havent being to jhelom since it's being almost 6 months since then.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm shocked and dismayed, a little depressed honestly, that anyone here has a problem with what the original poster is doing.

Anyone who is attended, even if they are scripting, can easily avoid this.

I've seen people get less mad at actual exploits themselves than people seem to be about someone who struggles against cheating simply by casting a gate spell.
I'm guessing it's because the scripters far outnumber the legit players, and there's probably quite a few of them on UHall (while scripting ingots/skills/whatever... :p)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...you and no one else can 'prove' the person is cheating keep that in mind
Actually you can prove these bots are cheats very easily. Stationary cheats aren't clear cut, but once you involve movement in a script it's usually obvious. They go to the exact same spots, in the same order, repeatedly. They'll pause at the same intervals on those spots if nothing is near enough to tame. If you move their target critters just beyond their route, they won't look for them. If they follow their target animal into the path of a foe they can't handle, they keep taming.

Back to the case in the OP. If a player follows another through a gate that the player announces goes to white wyrms, and then stands to be killed, there is no excuse. An attended player making that mistake would hop through the gate again or at the very least recall out swiftly. If you're attended and not using illegal scripts, you're using a mouse or keyboard to move. So you can stop yourself going through a gate or react to a hazardous situation. If you can't handle Ice dungeon, you don't follow someone in there! The bot died because they were scripting unattended. The OP could just as easily gate to somewhere safe to stop the bot, though no doubt you'd still call him a griefer.

Wenchy

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They never respawned. I dont if he gated them to a boat a house or what but where ever he did those bulls did not come back and neither did I I just told everyone who I know about him and if they see them go mess up his gameplay and then I went tamed elsewhere. Havent being to jhelom since it's being almost 6 months since then.

If anyone on Europa has trouble finding the bulls in the farmyard, look in the pen to the east. That's where I dump 'em to stymie the scripters. No bulls, no gains. If you kill them there, they will respawn in the original yard. If you leave them there, then they won't respawn until after the next server up, if then. I've found them in the same pen after rather more than 24hrs. I don't want to cause legit tamers hassle. But I'm not going to make life easy for the cheaters either.

U

UOKaiser

Also to most people who said for scripters to leave the game you know if that happens the only people you be playing with would be youreselves right? Many of your UO friends script but they just dont tell you because I guess they know how you feel about it. I tell my UO friends I don't care what anybody does in game unless they grief,scam or dupe and they all open up to me about there methods and seriously there are so many they all out number those who dont Im completly sure of it."insedently non of my uo friends that are griefter,scammers,or dupers wont tell me if they are cause they know am against it."
So when I see post about them to leave the game or condeming them I say to myself the worst enemie in UO are the UOHALLERS lol cause they call for the nerfs in the name of imbalance scripters etc... and then want more than half the remaining population of UO to leave lol thats what is so funny about it after reading these boards for so long players call for nerfes all the time and nerf themselves in the process.

Let's not forget the players who dont even play the game or havent played the game for over a decade still suggestion ways to nerf templates lol

Seriously all of you have to laugh with me in the irony of it all.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't say scripters should leave. I said they should stop scripting.

And please don't judge others by your own standards.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also to most people who said for scripters to leave the game you know if that happens the only people you be playing with would be youreselves right? Many of your UO friends script but they just dont tell you because I guess they know how you feel about it. I tell my UO friends I don't care what anybody does in game unless they grief,scam or dupe and they all open up to me about there methods and seriously there are so many they all out number those who dont Im completly sure of it."insedently non of my uo friends that are griefter,scammers,or dupers wont tell me if they are cause they know am against it."
So when I see post about them to leave the game or condeming them I say to myself the worst enemie in UO are the UOHALLERS lol cause they call for the nerfs in the name of imbalance scripters etc... and then want more than half the remaining population of UO to leave lol thats what is so funny about it after reading these boards for so long players call for nerfes all the time and nerf themselves in the process.

Let's not forget the players who dont even play the game or havent played the game for over a decade still suggestion ways to nerf templates lol

Seriously all of you have to laugh with me in the irony of it all.
The real laugh will be when players who think cheating is aceptable suddenly wake up to find no attended players remain in UO with them. The legit players are leaving far faster than the bots are banned, so that day draws closer. I'll be happily playing elsewhere, while you'll be surrounded by yet more bots and paying for it too.

I'm not laughing with you, but if I was less charitable I would be laughing at you...

Wenchy

U

UOKaiser

I didn't say scripters should leave. I said they should stop scripting.

And please don't judge others by your own standards.
Whos judging anybody do a experiment will be hard cause youre uo friends know you but if you try to act like u use scripts for anything watch how many open up to you though most will tell you on icq and not game chat.
And aint judging what we all do some have standards that it's not ok to litter some standards are is ok to litter just not murder someone then people have standards that it's ok to kill if youre fighting for the milatary but not ok to kill youre own citizens. You see what I mean youre standards are it's not ok to script in any situation while my standards are I dont care what you do with youre play time and money have fun and dont dupe. We are all judging.

I am not holier than thou I litter not on purpose and try to find a trash can but if not then floor it goes. My cigareets always go on the street. I jaywalk because I dont want to walk a block up to get across the street to the store thats right there. I go over the speed limit because everyone is leaving me behind and 50 on a highway really is to slow in my and many opinions. I smoke cigaretts before my 18th birthday drank too. Cut classes. Tru parties when my family wasnt home. Had relations before marriage alot. Had relations before the legal age of consent. Fought in school. Graffity wrighting on public property when young. Cheated on homework. Cheated on girlfriends. Use curse words. Cursed god, Cursed people,cursed nature,cursed myself. And many many other things so who am I to impose any rules of moral right and law in a game? Who are anyone of us who never did non of the above or more in our lives?

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've already scripted...err trained mine up to 120 so you can try to find me there if you want. I may hang around there just to own some random trammy.

Honestly, what is is about people who cheat or use exploits or cheap shortcuts in online games, that they tend to sneer at people who dislike cheating? Is it some kind of strange psychological overcompensation for knowing you're doing something that is destructive to others? Like "well, yes, it is, but you guys are weak and whiny, so it's actually a good thing I'm harming your game"?

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whos judging anybody do a experiment will be hard cause youre uo friends know you but if you try to act like u use scripts for anything watch how many open up to you though most will tell you on icq and not game chat.
And aint judging what we all do some have standards that it's not ok to litter some standards are is ok to litter just not murder someone then people have standards that it's ok to kill if youre fighting for the milatary but not ok to kill youre own citizens. You see what I mean youre standards are it's not ok to script in any situation while my standards are I dont care what you do with youre play time and money have fun and dont dupe. We are all judging.

I am not holier than thou I litter not on purpose and try to find a trash can but if not then floor it goes. My cigareets always go on the street. I jaywalk because I dont want to walk a block up to get across the street to the store thats right there. I go over the speed limit because everyone is leaving me behind and 50 on a highway really is to slow in my and many opinions. I smoke cigaretts before my 18th birthday drank too. Cut classes. Tru parties when my family wasnt home. Had relations before marriage alot. Had relations before the legal age of consent. Fought in school. Graffity wrighting on public property when young. Cheated on homework. Cheated on girlfriends. Use curse words. Cursed god, Cursed people,cursed nature,cursed myself. And many many other things so who am I to impose any rules of moral right and law in a game? Who are anyone of us who never did non of the above or more in our lives?

When you click 'accept' you are saying that you will accept the rules of the game and abide by them. If those rules don't suit you, don't play the game. The rules are there for a reason (already covered how scripting hurts honest players and kills the communities). It really is that simple. Tbh, from your description above, I don't think you'll ever get that, which is kinda sad because whilst I agree that some rules are dumb (boy, are they ever) stuff like no littering is for a reason. Why should other people have to wade through your crap because you're too lazy to find a bin or take it home with you? And the speeding thing just tells anyone who wants to know what they need to know. You speed because everyone else is leaving you behind. Tell me, if they were jumping off a cliff and leaving you behind, would you pick up a weight before you followed? Because I have little doubt that follow you would!

U

UOKaiser

The real laugh will be when players who think cheating is aceptable suddenly wake up to find no attended players remain in UO with them. The legit players are leaving far faster than the bots are banned, so that day draws closer. I'll be happily playing elsewhere, while you'll be surrounded by yet more bots and paying for it too.

I'm not laughing with you, but if I was less charitable I would be laughing at you...

Wenchy
Doubtful as they that use scripts use it for many things other than bots like skill training and etc.. and are really community minded people more so than most. These are the players that give out millions to a begginer to stick around teaching other players about how to play the game who roleplays who provide the community with what they need they are youre best uo friends youre pvp competition, youre guildmasters, guildmates, the player who gave you there house, the player who taught you how to kill youre first monster, the player who repaired youre equipment and gave you armor so you can survive in the wilderness. They are fellow uo players who chosen another path than you are on. Chosen to go against the TOS though am sure if something in the tos says you have to sell youre first born to ea then I think most will go against it but there still some that will sell the kid. And lets not forget how many people curse the hell out of someone in pvp fights they are all essentially breaking the TOS.

U

UOKaiser

When you click 'accept' you are saying that you will accept the rules of the game and abide by them. If those rules don't suit you, don't play the game. The rules are there for a reason (already covered how scripting hurts honest players and kills the communities). It really is that simple. Tbh, from your description above, I don't think you'll ever get that, which is kinda sad because whilst I agree that some rules are dumb (boy, are they ever) stuff like no littering is for a reason. Why should other people have to wade through your crap because you're too lazy to find a bin or take it home with you? And the speeding thing just tells anyone who wants to know what they need to know. You speed because everyone else is leaving you behind. Tell me, if they were jumping off a cliff and leaving you behind, would you pick up a weight before you followed? Because I have little doubt that follow you would!
Most likely not jump of a cliff because everyone does for simple reason it doesnt benefit me. Tell me this if you found a quarter on the street will you track down owner as per law to report money found to local authorities? Or better yet if you had a choise to do whats best for a stranger or do whats best for you and youre family which will you pick? A strangers happiness is good and all but by helping youre family you benefit youre self from making youre love ones happy. Rules are there for reasons other people wanted but in reality you make rules for youreself. Personaly I click efvery piece of tos stuff that i see whiout reading the legal cause well im not a lawyer and i want to play the game or use the program most of many tos goes against us law. You must of downloaded something for free either it be music,a picture, a video or even you tube. Copriright law is a piece of uselessness made by the corporations to milk you and no longer used how it was intended does it mean before you look at anything on the internet you need to compare it to all copririgt works to make sure you are not breaking the law?
Anyway these are just analogies simply people will break the law to suit there needs its the natural way of things. Especially TOS which doesnt apply like law as you seen in many examples someone will break the no blocking tos rule to catch another breaking the rule and find a way to explain that ther not doing it cause it's not there fault if the guy cant move from that spot no matter which way they explain it the intentions are clear they broke a rule to stop another from breaking another rule.
Heh wow we can go on like this for another 11 years :)

Status
Not open for further replies.