• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ultima Online: New Legacy Launches October 15th

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
10/2/2024 Greetings, We are extremely excited to announce the first season of Ultima Online: New Legacy will begin on Tuesday, October 15, 2024! Players will be able to login that day starting at noon ET and begin to forge their legacy! Be sure to also signup for the Ultima Online newsletter to stay connected with all things UO! See you in Britannia, UO Team

Continue reading...

1727903816623.png

Last edited by a moderator:

belal

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
So, new players will start the game, then have a change in client after they start?
Great job

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So, new players will start the game, then have a change in client after they start?
Great job
This is alot of progress - the launch of NL and improvements to the CC (or however they're going to roll it out). I'm not sure what the problem is. Should they delay updates to the Classic Client?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's time to move forward, with or without an updated client. That project is likely going to take some time. There is a little bit of momentum with the testing done on NL, and it's best to strike while the iron is hot.

belal

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
You will have all these new players come to the game to try NL, and find the game doesn't work properly. Pointless launching it before they get a working 2d client. Will just turn all of the people off who try it. And they probably won't try it again.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should not release NL until the client is ready
Why, we all know what client you use. Will you stop?

And NL is UO lite. You don't need many macros.

belal

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
You can't move around in 2d, it stops on the first object you hit, they solved this in games shortly after pong.

mihali

Lore Keeper
They should not release NL until the client is ready
Totally AGREE!!. NL is not nearly 1/10,000 as important as the client change is. The CC is absolutely on crutches for like 27 years, as far as macros and many other things are, not to mention choppy graphics. The client change should proceed ASAP, even if it means delaying NL another year! The CC change will bring a lot of needed ease of life changes, unless it is botched up pretty badly. NL is here today, it will be wiped clean in 12 months, and has no far reaching changes to UO as a whole. It is just a new toy, presently with its new bugs. So no the changes to the classic client should be asap, also they may change their mind and not do any changes to CC if there is a delay. The possibility is always there. So please do not advocate delaying CC improvements!a
So: PLEASE Devs move forward with the CC client changes, even at the cost of delaying NL, (by the way it still has some interesting bugs to it)!!

Last edited:

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
10/2/2024 Greetings, We are extremely excited to announce the first season of Ultima Online: New Legacy will begin on Tuesday, October 15, 2024! Players will be able to login that day starting at noon ET and begin to forge their legacy! Be sure to also signup for the Ultima Online newsletter to stay connected with all things UO! See you in Britannia, UO Team

Continue reading...

View attachment 157060
Well. Guess I know what I will be going all day that day. I hope a decent sized chunk of players decide to give NL a go so that the shard has a good sized population playing. I guess the first few days is going to be a race to place houses... Hopefully we don't get a Siege situation where people rush to place a house, place one, and then go back to their main shard and never touch it again, taking up space from people that actually play.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well. Guess I know what I will be going all day that day. I hope a decent sized chunk of players decide to give NL a go so that the shard has a good sized population playing. I guess the first few days is going to be a race to place houses... Hopefully we don't get a Siege situation where people rush to place a house, place one, and then go back to their main shard and never touch it again, taking up space from people that actually play.
If the shard is truly seasonal then it won't matter

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the shard is truly seasonal then it won't matter
It ultimately won't matter, but as you know from the beta, housing is restricted to certain neighborhoods and you can't place all over the map like on a regular shard. If NL takes off housing could be tight so having loads of unused houses would be kind of annoying.

For example the Ice Island housing area is just the area surrounding the dock.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The proof will be In the pudding soon based on people's reaction to anniversary gifts I think most people will chase new shiny things on production rather than we still Don't even know what you're gonna get to keep on seasonal shard

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I'm surprised there is no discussion on what server births that this might create and when you transfer to your production shard at the end of the season will you be able to take them with you..........

*Checks a suspect looking plant for a hidden rune along the trail*

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm surprised there is no discussion on what server births that this might create and when you transfer to your production shard at the end of the season will you be able to take them with you..........

Are server births even a thing anymore? Pretty sure that's been long fixed or else you would get server births every time they reset Test Center 1.

When the season ends everything is wiped. Even the earlier mentioned transfer to production shards, they mentioned only a few select things would transfer which was never specified. I think they are tight lipped on what happens when the season ends cause they themselves are not sure yet.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What is there to discuss when no one knows how the end of season transfers work. Any discussion would just be wishes and dreams until the dev team provides information unfortunately

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What did I miss? Won’t ClassicUO be an optional client, vs an integrated one? If it’s optional, I don’t see how this will impact anything unless they opt into using it.

I can appreciate the devs incorporating the upgrade.

For the longevity of the game and the amount of time they turned a cheek for prodo, I hope this is the success the producers hope it will be. I personally have little interest but will give it a chance to change my mind.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What did I miss? Won’t ClassicUO be an optional client, vs an integrated one? If it’s optional, I don’t see how this will impact anything unless they opt into using it.
Two things are happening:
1. They will integrate performance improvements into CC (higher FPS, smooth scrolling etc.).
2. There will be an officially sanctioned ClassicUO client, which is optional. I'm pretty sure, that ClassicUO in its current state won't be sanctioned and they have to remove features in order to have it sanctioned. In the end there will be two versions of ClassicUO, one with its full feature set, which is not allowed on official shards and one with a reduced feature set, which will be allowed.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Two things are happening:
1. They will integrate performance improvements into CC (higher FPS, smooth scrolling etc.).
2. There will be an officially sanctioned ClassicUO client, which is optional. I'm pretty sure, that ClassicUO in its current state won't be sanctioned and they have to remove features in order to have it sanctioned. In the end there will be two versions of ClassicUO, one with its full feature set, which is not allowed on official shards and one with a reduced feature set, which will be allowed.
Thanks for clarifying. My understanding was similar to what you mentioned above. I’m not sure how that’ll have a negative impact unless it’s more involved. I assume the FPS rate will be selectable from the options menu.

I’ve never used ClassicUO but interested in trying it.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for clarifying. My understanding was similar to what you mentioned above. I’m not sure how that’ll have a negative impact unless it’s more involved. I assume the FPS rate will be selectable from the options menu.

I’ve never used ClassicUO but interested in trying it.
I hope when the add the FPS increase to the Classic Client, they add a toggle for it. I have played with ClassicUO before and the really smooth movement in UO feels unnatural and weird to me. It is almost too smooth to play that way. But some people like it so the option is nice.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I hope when the add the FPS increase to the Classic Client, they add a toggle for it. I have played with ClassicUO before and the really smooth movement in UO feels unnatural and weird to me. It is almost too smooth to play that way. But some people like it so the option is nice.
lol,yeah I know what you mean. I guess I’m used to it after these years. But what happens if you select higher FPS and then choose frame skipping? :D

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which is what?
The world ends. Everyone dies. Server resets.

Devs hinted characters would get a transfer off to a production server with select items. They have since taken down the video where they said that on YouTube so who knows what the plan is now.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Which is what?
I think they will open a temporary gate (meaning limited time) for you to use to go to other shards. I think this because store items and vet rewards aren't allowed there.

you would have to remove everything from your backpack and bank that is shard bound.

shootgun

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are you guys interested in playing this? Few people I know were interested before the open beta. Now they are all saying they wont play it. IMHO, it is a total crap.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's going to get old. Seems like that took a page from Blizzard classic servers but I don't think this is going to work out.
Their main push with this is The Legacy System, which is basically the shard keeps track of player accomplishments, kind of like Achievements in WoW, and will keep those records in future seasons. Like for example: House Dol was the first to kill a certain boss and create a new legend.
When Season 1 ends, Season 2 will have items spawning that have the legend from the first season.

Of course since the first season hasn't even begun yet, and one of their main ideas being a long term future history, there is no real way to test this yet so who knows how it will work in the future or if players will get bored of being constantly reset.

Only time will tell what happens when Season 2 and 3 roll around.

That said, NL has a LOT of quality of life improvements like resource gathering, setting crafting containers, a very simplified and easier to understand gear system. I think it potentially can be more fun to play than production on that alone.

I like that Power is Power regardless of item and I don't have to deal with hundreds of random items to get the stats I want. It's closer to how original UO was even if we are never getting a real Pre-AOS Shard. =[

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NL feels like misk found a free shard emulator and convinced Mesanna they could merge it with production
Nope, that would require more than just copying someone's code like emulators do. What you will see is emulators copying NLs game mechanics.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nope, that would require more than just copying someone's code like emulators do. What you will see is emulators copying NLs game mechanics.
Do you really believe you will be able to gain skill on a production shard if you transfer off?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you really believe you will be able to gain skill on a production shard if you transfer off?
They said toons from NL will use the mechanics of live shards if taken to one. So, yes!

Just like if you transfer from a live shard to TC, the toon uses those mechanics.

What does that have to do with fake shards?

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will no quest for them to gain from and divergent path broken
The coding on the shards are different. Any characters transferred will be bound by the code of the server its on. If a character made on NL was then transferred to a production shard, it would gain skills based on the production ruleset, not NL.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The coding on the shards are different. Any characters transferred will be bound by the code of the server its on. If a character made on NL was then transferred to a production shard, it would gain skills based on the production ruleset, not NL.
How do you know this?

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you know this?

@Pawain Already chimed in lol. You can do this now. Transfer of a production character to TC1 is possible. And then you go by the Test Center ruleset even if the character was made on Atlantic.

If it were possible to transfer characters from Production to Siege, a character transferred from Atlantic to Siege would switch from GGS to ROT. It ultimately depends on the code and ruleset the shard is running. The character itself does not matter.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Pawain Already chimed in lol. You can do this now. Transfer of a production character to TC1 is possible. And then you go by the Test Center ruleset even if the character was made on Atlantic.

If it were possible to transfer characters from Production to Siege, a character transferred from Atlantic to Siege would switch from GGS to ROT. It ultimately depends on the code and ruleset the shard is running. The character itself does not matter.
You have way more faith in the developers than I do

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you know this?
The devs said this. Have you never copied to Test center and seen things there that are not on live shards? Yet you are able to use them on TC. Your toon uses the mechanics of the shard they are on.

I recall now, it was answered when someone asked if they could take an NL toon to Siege. Nope, you can't was the answer.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What is there to discuss when no one knows how the end of season transfers work. Any discussion would just be wishes and dreams until the dev team provides information unfortunately
Just coming back from a 2 week vacation and reading up on all the UO news... I saw the "NL Launches Oct 15" and clicked it expecting to see details of expected results/functionality for season 1 (less than 2 weeks away) and I'm not sure if I was surprised there were zero details on that or if I was expected that.

So quick cliff notes summary of NL... Development started 5ish years ago / announced 4.5ish years ago / 2-3 videos on their idea 4ish years ago / whole lot of nothing for for 3ish years / beta testing past 2 months (with a ton of changes from start to finish) .... and still no info on Dev team expectation on how the shard will work or how long the first season will be and what actually happens at the end. It almost feels like the Dev team is just going to play things by ear and randomly stop the season on short notice (or just keep it going indefinitely) based on a whim; ie doesn't feel very well fleshed out.

On top of all of that; they are starting the season on Oct 15th which is likely going to be during the Oct/Halloween Prod event (first "fresh content" since spring) that seems like it will be 1 month and will be followed by what appears to possibly be the ToT event in Nov. Seems like poor timing with people focusing on their "home (permanent) shard" for Oct/Nov/Dec (Artisan Fest / Krampus).