• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bets on the release date?

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I searched 2 seconds. I never played the Ultima games.

Most people name the micro chip in their first PC if they had one long ago. Taught students how to work on 8088s, used the school computer lab to play games. My first was a 286 it had a 10M hard drive, I thought, how could someone use all that space. I bought a Roland MT 32 for the sound. Connected it to an amp and home speaker system. I played mostly games that had that as a sound choice. All Sierra games could use it. The 3in floppys were not out yet.

Played my aunts pong game as a teen in the 70s. Had atari system when those came out. Moved to the ones with keyboards and a cassette tape to record programs on. The keyboard was the old style flat touch key. They were crap.

Fun fact after the 8088 Intel named their chips 286 386 486 the names were copied by others. They could not copyright numbers, so the 586 turned into Pentium instead, and the next was Pentium II. Also can't copyright Taco Tuesday.

At one time Computer Shopper was a huge book that was 3in thick each month. We would grab the new ones and run to the break room to see all the new stuff.
Wow, they sound like cool experiences... I am troubled though... If you are such a cool guy, why do you feel the need to shout down and throw poop at everyone that even remotely criticizes the decisions by Mesanna?

This game could have been in a lot better situation both popularity wise and financial wise, if we had another producer. Or, if Mesanna stopped being a narcissistic prick and started listening to players.

Now that I criticized Mesanna, you can start the flame wars and trolling once again from scratch. I am ready! Come at me bro!!!

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are such a cool guy, why do you feel the need to shout down and throw poop at everyone that even remotely criticizes the decisions by Mesanna?
I play games based on whether I like the game or not. If I don't like them, I move on. There has only been a handful of games that I knew the names of any of the developers. Why are yall so obsessed over her? I don't get it.

Do you think dissing her on a forum is going to change what they are doing right now?

Has anything positive come from your posts complaining about things?

Have we got those skill increase items for repairing yet?

If you don't like the direction of the game, which is them making NL. Then you should also take another direction. Steam has thousands of games.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Has anything positive come from your posts complaining about things?
Has anything positive come from knowing no bounds when it comes to how far you can stuff your nose up Mesanna?

On a second thought, it did!! We all know Mesanna is a narcissist and she'll shower anybody with her well-documented favoritism as long as you **** her ****.
I got my answer. Gotcha!! You play Mesanna's pet fan boy, and I will not hold back stating my criticism whenever I deem necessary.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry I don't personally know her or anything about her other than her job title. I am not the stalker you think I am.

Not my style to anonymously post BS about someone when they can't see it or reply.

They have all been nice to me when I meet them in game. And they are just as secretive in game as they are on forums.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry I don't personally know her or anything about her other than her job title. I am not the stalker you think I am.

Not my style to anonymously post BS about someone when they can't see it or reply.

They have all been nice to me when I meet them in game. And they are just as secretive in game as they are on forums.
Soooo, you dont know her, yet you literally start throwing poops and shouting down everyone that disagrees with her decisions? Uhuh, do tell me more.
Your behavior so absurd, most members of stratics and official forums call you a troll.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Soooo, you dont know her, yet you literally start throwing poops and shouting down everyone that disagrees with her decisions? Uhuh, do tell me more.
Your behavior so absurd, most members of stratics and official forums call you a troll.
So you know her? That justifies dissing someone?

I can understand a game that has 2 coders, one or 2 artists, a person that writes the Lore, and a developer will be slower at making things compared to games that have hundreds or thousands of employees.

I have no idea why most members of stratics can't understand that. Even tho they have been witnessing it for years. The movie Don't Look Up comes to mind.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can understand a game that has 2 coders, one or 2 artists, a person that writes the Lore, and a developer will be slower at making things compared to games that have hundreds or thousands of employees.
I am extremely grateful you said that!! After AoS lunch UO had more than five hundred thousand subs. Right now, they have around 10k subs. The situation is so bad, they cant even cover 24 hour game support. Most days you are lucky if a GM answers a legitimate ticket. Whose fault do you think is that? You might need to get your nose out of Mesanna to answer the question but I doubt that will happen :)

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am extremely grateful you said that!! After AoS lunch UO had more than five hundred thousand subs. Right now, they have around 10k subs. The situation is so bad, they cant even cover 24 hour game support. Whose fault do you think is that? You might need to get your nose out of Mesanna to answer the question but I doubt that will happen :)
Population fell because they did not implement a place or switch for players who had no interest in PvP .

Starr Long and Garriott said this in a video. They were in charge of the game at the time. Mesanna was not.

Sounds like a case of misplaced rage to me.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They were in charge of the game at the time. Mesanna was not.
Ahahaha, dude contradict yourself much? You acknowledge that when Starr Long and Garriott were in charge of the game, they were able to bring it up to half a million players. The numbers may have gone down a bit during their time but it was never this bad. Today it is around 10k with an expansion that has been in development for more than 5 years!!! As it seems, they will, once again, miss their deadline this September!!! That is an expansion that nobody, other than you, asked. That is 5+ years of development time, that could be spent adding something more useful to the game. Do you see the irony? This thread was created 2+ years ago, making fun of how long it would take until the release. As it seems, we are at least another 6 months away from the release. They did not even start taking applications for beta testing. What do you think? They will announce beta testing, then release the game next week?

Did the player numbers ever increase since Mesanna took over? Has it always been going down non-stop? Mesanna has no formal education in anything related to game development or being a producer. If I am not mistaken Mesanna has no formal education in anything specific, she is a high school graduate. The only other job Mesanna had was being a customer service representative and answering the phones. No wonder she has inferiority complex and narcissistic nature.

Ahahaha, I am glad you were finally able to admit it with your own words!!!

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not the jealous type so I don't mind sharing paddy cakes but the love affair is distracting from the point of the thread the current $HIT show that's NL is very bad for UO and makes me sad

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I cant play right now.
We decided to go back to the Peabody in Memphis. This time upgraded to VIP. Happy hour just ended and we are in the lobby. Many people sitting in a lobby in a hotel with the confabulations that occur is like being in an old movie. We need a travel thread on these forums.

After eating a hand full of delta 9 gummies washed down with 4 crown and 7s I'll just say:

Something NL related had better happen before or in September.

Who needs Beal street.

shootgun

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not the jealous type so I don't mind sharing paddy cakes but the love affair is distracting from the point of the thread the current $HIT show that's NL is very bad for UO and makes me sad
My guesstimate is like this:
  • In the next 2 months they will announce the beta test.
  • 2 weeks to allow people to apply and figure out who gets included in the beta test.
  • 1 week to send out instructions and on board beta testers.
  • 2 weeks to 1 month of beta testing.
  • 3 months to 6 months of bug fixes/improving unsatisfactory parts/handling infra/etc.

IMHO, we will see the general availability sometime around February.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I cant play right now.
We decided to go back to the Peabody in Memphis. This time upgraded to VIP. Happy hour just ended and we are in the lobby. Many people sitting in a lobby in a hotel with the confabulations that occur is like being in an old movie. We need a travel thread on these forums.

After eating a hand full of delta 9 gummies washed down with 4 crown and 7s I'll just say:

Something NL related had better happen before or in September.

Who needs Beal street.
Definition/Introduction. Confabulation is a neuropsychiatric disorder wherein a patient generates a false memory without the intention of deceit.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Definition/Introduction. Confabulation is a neuropsychiatric disorder wherein a patient generates a false memory without the intention of deceit.
In this case I meant the basic meaning.

What is the meaning of confabulate?
to talk informally : chat. 2. : to hold a discussion : confer.

I was using it as conversations.

But it seems it could also be used as the base of fabricate.

But in this case, lots of people talking, some of them were probably confabulating.

Last edited:

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In this case I meant the basic meaning.

[COLOR=var(--YLNNHc)]What is the meaning of confabulate?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=var(--bbQxAb)]: to talk informally : chat. 2. : to hold a discussion : confer.[/COLOR]
Ahh. I didnt see that meaning.

I read this and figured it was the jist of it.

Confabulation occurs when individuals mistakenly recall false information, without intending to deceive. Brain damage, dementia, and anticholinergic toxidrome can cause this distortion. Two types of confabulation exist: provoked and spontaneous, with two distinctions: verbal and behavioral. Verbal statements, false information, and the patient's unawareness of the distortion are all associated with this phenomenon. Personality structure also plays a role in confabulation.

Numerous theories have been developed to explain confabulation. Neuropsychological theories suggest that cognitive dysfunction causes the distortion. Self-identity theories posit that people confabulate to preserve themselves. The temporality theory believes that confabulation occurs when an individual cannot place events properly in time. The monitoring and strategic retrieval account theories argue that confabulation arises when individuals cannot recall memories correctly or monitor them after retrieval. The executive control and fuzzy-trace theories also attempt to explain why confabulation happens.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh. I didnt see that meaning.

I read this and figured it was the jist of it.

Confabulation occurs when individuals mistakenly recall false information, without intending to deceive. Brain damage, dementia, and anticholinergic toxidrome can cause this distortion. Two types of confabulation exist: provoked and spontaneous, with two distinctions: verbal and behavioral. Verbal statements, false information, and the patient's unawareness of the distortion are all associated with this phenomenon. Personality structure also plays a role in confabulation.

Numerous theories have been developed to explain confabulation. Neuropsychological theories suggest that cognitive dysfunction causes the distortion. Self-identity theories posit that people confabulate to preserve themselves. The temporality theory believes that confabulation occurs when an individual cannot place events properly in time. The monitoring and strategic retrieval account theories argue that confabulation arises when individuals cannot recall memories correctly or monitor them after retrieval. The executive control and fuzzy-trace theories also attempt to explain why confabulation happens.
I guess adding tion to some words makes the word get a new meaning.

English is a horrible language when compared to others. We have spoken words that mean different things if you do not see the spelling.
Ex write and right.

We also have too many synonyms.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you go to MGM or other movie theme parks. They show you how they make sounds.

Conversations in the background can be 5 people saying Banana. 5 saying apple, other groups of 5 saying other words. Together they make it sound like inaudible conversations.

I used that word because it is similar to conflagration, which in UO is many little fires, mine was for many little conversations.

Trisbane

Visitor
Hi, I played UO on Atlantic a very long time ago, and only just got interested in playing again when I heard news of a New Legacy revival. Is there any news on the beta release date (I filled in the form) and also how open world PVP works?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hi, I played UO on Atlantic a very long time ago, and only just got interested in playing again when I heard news of a New Legacy revival. Is there any news on the beta release date (I filled in the form) and also how open world PVP works?
No one really knows how anything will work yet

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It would make for some nice publicity if they had this ready to go for the Anniversary in September.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
how open world PVP works?
They originally said there would be some switch that you can turn on and off for PvP. As far as what they actually did, nobody knows. If they did implement the switch, you can assume that nobody will opt in for PvP unless there is some significant reward for doing so.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They originally said there would be some switch that you can turn on and off for PvP. As far as what they actually did, nobody knows. If they did implement the switch, you can assume that nobody will opt in for PvP unless there is some significant reward for doing so.
Without PS there will be no sheep if 3rd party clients are being used it's the same old mess

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Without PS there will be no sheep if 3rd party clients are being used it's the same old mess
3rd party clients are going to be there. They can't stop it. As far as PS and sheep go, whatever, it's as simple as: "If there is no reward, why add risk?"

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They’re going to have to incentivize it; I don’t see how a switch is going to be viable without it.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They’re going to have to incentivize it; I don’t see how a switch is going to be viable without it.
Yeah, I don't understand it either. Even if they gave like 25% more gold to have it on... still probably not worth it. Plus you'd have to have a timer on it, you couldn't just let people turn it on and off as they please because that would get exploited very quickly. I don't see it working at all. At least they'll finally have a Trammel only shard.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They know if they make it open world PvP then there will be a very low population, so they have tried to please everyone by making it consensual, which therefore does not please the actual PvPers at all. Did they actually say there were no powerscrolls? If that's the case then there would be little point to PvP anyway. Real PvPers are a breed apart, I'm sure they will find ways to challenge themselves, people who just want to slaughter defenceless people, usually less geared and less skilled than themselves are not real PvPers.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are you normally able to play vaporware?

Or were all of you wrong? Maybe one or two others were believers.

Yall sure fought hard in losing battle to discourage me.

As normal a drama queen. no one wanted NL to fail ..we wanted communication. We got years of silence and zero hype building for the next great thing. we wanted the production shards to not be neglected. That's exactly what happened even now we get nothing for months until Halloween..

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As normal a drama queen. no one wanted NL to fail ..we wanted communication. We got years of silence and zero hype building for the next great thing. we wanted the production shards to not be neglected. That's exactly what happened even now we get nothing for months until Halloween..
It's four years late and we don't even know what's been delivered. So while it may not be Vaporware, I'm pretty sure that it isn't going to be what they originally pitched it as six years ago.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still could be vaporware. It's only beta.
Nah, at this rate, they'll release something, but this release of NL isn't the "ownage" of those of us who expressed concerns that some people are implying. It's years late, failed to build hype to energize a flagging player base, neglected the production shards, and has done more to hurt the dev team's reputation than anything.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nah, at this rate, they'll release something, but this release of NL isn't the "ownage" of those of us who expressed concerns that some people are implying. It's years late, failed to build hype to energize a flagging player base, neglected the production shards, and has done more to hurt the dev team's reputation than anything.
I have never played a game other than UO where I even knew or cared about the reputation or names of the developers of that game. I knew the guy who made DOOM was able to buy a Lamborghini or similar sports car with his money. That's about all.

I bought a game called New Cycle off Steam last night, am I supposed to look up the reputation of the developers? Or their names?

I usually play games I like, not buying based on who made them. Am I doing it wrong?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's not New Legacy itself that people didn't believe in, it was the Dev teams ability to produce what they promised, there will be a lot of disappointed people because this is just not what they wanted or expected. For myself I'm now more interested than I was previously because it looked nothing like what I thought they would produce. If that makes sense... :p

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's not New Legacy itself that people didn't believe in, it was the Dev teams ability to produce what they promised, there will be a lot of disappointed people because this is just not what they wanted or expected. For myself I'm now more interested than I was previously because it looked nothing like what I thought they would produce. If that makes sense... :p
Players asked for a pre AOS shard this is not even close..

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Players asked for a pre AOS shard this is not even close..
A straight pre-Aos server would have been a failure, in my opinion. Lots of quality changes have happened since then.

I think they had a good idea with NL by going back to pre item properties, but I’m going to bet it’s just been poorly implemented and they’ve stripped out other items that made UO great instead. Bonnie changes her mind and direction on a whim, and doesn’t look past her personal vision of how people should play UO. I see this mindset daily with clients I work with, they don’t listen to feedback because “we know how our customers should shop”, when in reality the actual user experience is much much different. Don’t tell you customers how to shop, learn how your customers are shopping and improve that.

It’s going to be a mess.

I’m looking forward to lots of information about what is actually in NL from the open beta. I’ll happily admit if NL is a playable quality addition to UO, but right now I’m not putting my money on it. Poor project management rarely produces quality.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would more bet it becomes another AOL Legends or Origins.

Deimos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could be in one of the future seasons. Does Broadsword even know what Pre-AOS even means though?
No doubt they do, but in all the time people have been asking for a pre aos shard, they've always come back with the same excuse, we don't have the code from back then, so it can't be recreated.
And yet, it has been recreated on numerous free shards.
They have a habit of saying something can't be done due to X, Y and Z, such as higher resolutions in the classic client, but low and behold,ClassicUO did it and their client is superior to the official one in many ways.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
This whole thing just felt like a watered down UO on rails.

I get that the game is really confusing to new players, but the beta was a ton of intro level content.

I hope they add more before it is released.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With this hot mess of a wow clone only beta testing on weekends I'm pushing my guess to 2026 I really have to wonder what the team has really been doing for 4 years

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With this hot mess of a wow clone only beta testing on weekends I'm pushing my guess to 2026 I really have to wonder what the team has really been doing for 4 years
Closer to 5 years. Substantial work has gone into NL; is it five years of development? Eh, probably not. To be perfectly blunt, a lot of the changes they've implemented for NL are good changes and should have been done to the production servers instead of a new type of server. No, I'm not saying that skill gain should have been converted to quest-based. However, the new skill gain system is sound IF it had been integrated with standard skill gain instead of being two separate tracks. Additionally, the changes to the quest engine are good and would have added a lot to production. Not to mention new art, new encounters, and updated locations.

Now, there are also many changes in NL that were made in a vacuum and, quite frankly, completely misunderstand the player base. I've put a certain user back on ignore, but let me just go ahead and address what I'm sure his white knight response will be: "iTs ThEIr gaMe, YOu dOn'T geT a sAY," and he is correct but ignores the basic rule of running a business (which supposedly he does). If your paying customer base is leaning in one direction for X, you look at what implementing X actually looks like. What are the root pieces of feedback the entire customer base is giving you (e.g., what is the profit and growth opportunity)? This producer goes "I like Y" and implements it with little to no business consideration.

I would never spend money and time for a game that reset every year, never keep doing newbie quests in every year for the said "Britannia's history". The more you gain in the year, the more you lost after reset
Seasonal servers are quite popular in a wide range of player communities. Unfortunately, in its current configuration, NL didn't implement the right lessons of what makes them successful. What is the purpose of the season? It has to be more than just fun to try out new mechanics. There has to be a goal, a race, or a reward for achieving a particular milestone. The reward needs to be more than just a deco item you can send to production.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How will the Halloween events impact NL if there are BIS items people will want them I can see the team offering weaker rewards so people still play NL and on nothing other than gut feelings they won't make NL seasonal

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I see the sarcasm but I think they will release something this year. They have another 4-6 weekends to Beta test and still release around the anniversary. That said, I do not think it's going to be a fully complete season and will be a likely be like a half season or limited content. That way Mesanna can check the box for delivering as promised. I do no think the initial season of NL is really going to attract anywhere near the large audience she's said as I think it will be for the most part incomplete in several areas.

I think the second or third season will be more of a complete product (if it makes it that far) and be more of the vision that Mesanna & the team laid out. I also think that is where NL will also go into maintenance mode, like Prod has been in for the past 5 years, where there will only be a couple minor updates a year/season.