• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bets on the release date?

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How will the Halloween events impact NL if there are BIS items people will want them I can see the team offering weaker rewards so people still play NL and on nothing other than gut feelings they won't make NL seasonal
I'm going to call you out on speculation for that one with there being zero information about Halloween at the moment. That being said, it does come back to dev communication.

Regarding NL eventually not being seasonal, again a bit of wild speculation there but I also wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Seasonal servers are quite popular in a wide range of player communities. Unfortunately, in its current configuration, NL didn't implement the right lessons of what makes them successful. What is the purpose of the season? It has to be more than just fun to try out new mechanics. There has to be a goal, a race, or a reward for achieving a particular milestone. The reward needs to be more than just a deco item you can send to production.
I agree there needs to be a goal for players to work towards in order for it to be successful. They've said the goal is to "build your legacy" but nothing else about what that looks like. I'd also agree that something like a sash or some other deco piece probably isn't enough of a reward, but even that would have questions like does the reward change based on your path/hours played etc? From my perspective, what's the reason to play most of my time in UO on the NL shard versus Prod if I'm just getting the same sash/boots/etc as everyone else that logged in and played a couple of hours?

I'd also question, like you, what their advertisement strategy is to attract new players because while I think the new quest for skills would make sense for a new player; they don't seem to fit a veteran who knows how to skill / has the resources on Prod and as it currently stands that is who is mainly playing NL and helping shape what it looks like (veterans).

Several posters here have said they hate skilling, which makes sense for veteran players who have played for 10+ years, but for me it would probably be less work to skill on ATL (and up to 120 skill) with pinks/blues, using masteries, & the "tricks of the trade" (ie legendary parry quickly using the harpy spot) than it would be to do some repetitive quest 15-20 times for each skill. As a veteran if I'm going to be doing something mindless, I'd rather do it in my house on ATL with a paperclip jammed in the keyboard rather than working on carpal tunnel clicking a bunch of things to check a box for +1 skill. So maybe the quest chains work for a new player just building skills without needing to spend any gold, but anyone on a Prod shard that has any sort of resources would probably spend less time on their Prod shard.

chrishkp0104

Adventurer
Closer to 5 years. Substantial work has gone into NL; is it five years of development? Eh, probably not. To be perfectly blunt, a lot of the changes they've implemented for NL are good changes and should have been done to the production servers instead of a new type of server. No, I'm not saying that skill gain should have been converted to quest-based. However, the new skill gain system is sound IF it had been integrated with standard skill gain instead of being two separate tracks. Additionally, the changes to the quest engine are good and would have added a lot to production. Not to mention new art, new encounters, and updated locations.

Now, there are also many changes in NL that were made in a vacuum and, quite frankly, completely misunderstand the player base. I've put a certain user back on ignore, but let me just go ahead and address what I'm sure his white knight response will be: "iTs ThEIr gaMe, YOu dOn'T geT a sAY," and he is correct but ignores the basic rule of running a business (which supposedly he does). If your paying customer base is leaning in one direction for X, you look at what implementing X actually looks like. What are the root pieces of feedback the entire customer base is giving you (e.g., what is the profit and growth opportunity)? This producer goes "I like Y" and implements it with little to no business consideration.

Seasonal servers are quite popular in a wide range of player communities. Unfortunately, in its current configuration, NL didn't implement the right lessons of what makes them successful. What is the purpose of the season? It has to be more than just fun to try out new mechanics. There has to be a goal, a race, or a reward for achieving a particular milestone. The reward needs to be more than just a deco item you can send to production.
If this is just a main pvper game I understand they can reset yearly but not uo which most of the players are likely to collect things, decorate their houses

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I think that New Legacy needs a lot of work and Broadsword will appease us with with a throwback Abyss shard for Halloween. Then, we'll see a Farmageddon shard for Thanksgiving before it gets released. Anyone remember Farmageddon?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think that New Legacy needs a lot of work and Broadsword will appease us with with a throwback Abyss shard for Halloween. Then, we'll see a Farmageddon shard for Thanksgiving before it gets released. Anyone remember Farmageddon?
Don't remember Farmageddon, but I do remember the Abyss shard for Halloween and the Xmas shard (could run around as a reindeer). IMO those shards would have been all that was needed instead of NL; a test shard that you can adjust your skills however you want and play as a change of pace from Prod.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Played enough of the beta shard, am ready for the go live new legacy.
Looking forward to it and seeing what all we can bring back with us after the shattering.

Hopefully the guild quests provide alot of unique collectibles

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Played enough of the beta shard, am ready for the go live new legacy.
Looking forward to it and seeing what all we can bring back with us after the shattering.

Hopefully the guild quests provide alot of unique collectibles
Go on official forum and ask for any info about what happens. cost if any what you can bring etc see what kind of radio silence you receive

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Watching yall still on this bait makes me feel there is still people to vote for president that are old in age.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nah, shes got to release it. The community tore her apart when she backpedaled and pushed the timeline last time. She’ll release it broken
For sure. It will likely just be a "shortened season" and 75% of the things about the shard will be incomplete or a mystery; like how long the season is intended to last or how something is supposed to work.

I can already see it now, people will say XYZ is frozen or seems broken and the team will say "this is working as intended". I can also see that people will go to log in one day and the shard will be down, only to see a post a day later saying "Thanks for those that played season 1 of NL! We look forward to the next season!". And when people get frustrated about the abrupt end to the season, a certain cheerleading fanboi will say "they told us the shard wasn't permanent!".

And the whole time I'm just going to be laughing at the entire situation. :devil:

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Beta is done Stress test next week.

Looks like NL will be coming with yall kicking and screaming But but they wont ever finish. Looks like it takes 5 years for 2 coders to make a game. More coders = less time.
and once again, you show your ignorance by failing to understand the concerns we have been trying to voice. But hey, you sure showed all of us, didn't you? You "won" the argument. Good job man!

I'm looking forward to NL drawing in the largest audience ever, as promised five years ago. I'm sure they'll announce their big marketing plans any day now. I really love the roadmap that's been laid out for NL and Prod, not to mention the communication on basic expectations of NL, such as what happens to characters at the end of the season.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and once again, you show your ignorance by failing to understand the concerns we have been trying to voice. But hey, you sure showed all of us, didn't you? You "won" the argument. Good job man!

I'm looking forward to NL drawing in the largest audience ever, as promised five years ago. I'm sure they'll announce their big marketing plans any day now. I really love the roadmap that's been laid out for NL and Prod, not to mention the communication on basic expectations of NL, such as what happens to characters at the end of the season.
Exactly how much marketing do you think the 3 main employees are going to do and with what budget. Yall keep moving the bar. First it won't happen then you see movement, so it's now vaporware. Now that it is coming, it won't be GoOd EnOuGh.

It's ok to stop playing a game you don't like. Or stop posting on a game forum where you don't play the game.

BTW what was your toons name during Beta Testing, how many posts did you make in the discussion forums where they changed many things. Do you even have a paid account.

Seems the biggest whiners here did not check out the game in beta. Posted no feedback. So they will just have an excuse to keep complaining.

The only one I saw was McDougle for a few hours.

NL will be a game like all other games, you like it or you don't. If you don't, move on and let us play and post in peace.

As all games, I will play for my entertainment, not others who will show up or not.

Thousands of games to play, unlike in 97. What impact will NL have in the gaming community. None. Just like 98% the 50 other new games that come out in last quarter of 2024.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Exactly how much marketing do you think the 3 main employees are going to do and with what budget. Yall keep moving the bar. First it won't happen then you see movement, so it's now vaporware. Now that it is coming, it won't be GoOd EnOuGh.

It's ok to stop playing a game you don't like. Or stop posting on a game forum where you don't play the game.

BTW what was your toons name during Beta Testing, how many posts did you make in the discussion forums where they changed many things. Do you even have a paid account.

Seems the biggest whiners here did not check out the game in beta. Posted no feedback. So they will just have an excuse to keep complaining.

The only one I saw was McDougle for a few hours.

NL will be a game like all other games, you like it or you don't. If you don't, move on and let us play and post in peace.
After being ignored by developers and attacked by you and violet why would I bother to test more.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After being ignored by developers and attacked by you and violet why would I bother to test more.
Mr my Focus won't raise. I told you how to make it raise. When you choose the new skilling method you have to use a skill to raise it. How do you make focus or meditation raise in UO...

Funny how 0 others had the issue.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Mr my Focus won't raise. I told you how to make it raise. When you choose the new skilling method you have to use a skill to raise it. How do you make focus or meditation raise in UO...

Funny how 0 others had the issue.
None of the skills were raising properly I'm willing to bet the divergent path still broken

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, show me where I have commented on anything to do with NL as its features have been implemented. I don’t have to justify to you who my beta characters are to have an opinion on business management concerns. If that’s the best come back you have, then you’re a poor troll. You’re losing your touch man.

Oh no, I won’t tell the sycophant who my characters are so he can run crying back to Bonnie that I think she’s a terrible manager. So she can be her vindictive self and earn himself for a pat on the head.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Looks like it takes 5 years for 2 coders to make a game
They did not make a new game, they modded an existing game. Should not have take 5 years and 2 months to mod the existing game to change a few mechanics and add some new art and quests. The core of the game did not change.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ah yes, you're other go-to once the "teLl mE wHo YouR ChAraCTer iS" doesn't land. Well, here are a couple of things for you to remember since you can't handle anything critical being said about the state of the game.

Always remember: it's okay to have expectations of a service you're paying for.
Always remember: it's okay to have an opinion on a subject you are knowledgeable in.
Always remember: it's okay to provide critical and constructive feedback.
Always remember: it's okay not to be a cheerleader.