• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

illegal scripting/macroing enforcement

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
You REALLY need to learn the difference between multi client and multi box!
I know the difference but...they didn't explain exactly what they will and won't ban for. If it's worth banning people over, it's worth explaining.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm to the point where it's a video game and I don't care what social justice dictates. If I want to cheat (and risk the almost $200 I spent on the account) to have fun, I will. If I want to not cheat to have fun, I will.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the difference but...they didn't explain exactly what they will and won't ban for. If it's worth banning people over, it's worth explaining.
If u actually do know the difference then its pretty clear what they said. They said plain as day - bans for multiboxing. Do you need an instructional video to explain ? Seriously, are u just trolling? Saying multiboxing promotes code writing and scripts are good for the game? Wow...:tinhat:

If a script saves your hand and doesn’t hurt anyone what’s the problem???
This is something different then multiboxing & something they haven't punished for (that I'm aware of) unless your AFK. If u want to craft those potions knock yourself out just don't go AFK. However, the fact is that the VAST majority of those running the scripts ARE indeed AFK while doing it. To say it doesn't hurt anyone is ludicrous:dunce:. Its well documented in tons of online games how this hurts economies & player bases.

Meh I should just go play Second Life where they value those sorts of things. Even WoW encourages players to make add ons.
Yea.... maybe u should....:thumbup:

UO is medieval in all the wrong sort of ways! People who are curious, and want to learn those skills, will end up doing their own private servers, etc. instead of playing here. More brain drain from the community while hard core cheaters will stay and muck up the economy and pvp because that is what they are after. Yet oddly, never heard of a cheating PVPer or gold spammer getting banned ever...huh?
:coco:I've no clue what ur trying to say with this. Your saying folks that want to code for multiboxing end up making private servers? Uhhh.... no.... they want to code for multiboxing so they can get all the EM drops & sell them for real money. No one is making their own server, they're farming OSI's to convert OSI copyrighted virtual items into irl $bank$. Your 'hard core cheaters' are the exact same people this current multibox policy is targeting ! The hard core cheater is also multiboxing PvP where he can instantly dump +6 character's mana on 1 unsuspecting target. "Thanks Multiboxing Scripts/Code !" - *last thing said by players quitting the game never to return*:cursing:

Seriously, how can u get ur panties in an bunch b/c they go after these people? I can't believe someone of your capacity saying this.o_O

IMO if you can't play a game the way it is designed and you have to resort to cheats, scripts and hacks to "win" you are a bigger loser than those who can't get there actually playing the game as intended.

Only losers cheat.
THANK YOU for a voice of reason !

I'm to the point where it's a video game and I don't care what social justice dictates. If I want to cheat (and risk the almost $200 I spent on the account) to have fun, I will. If I want to not cheat to have fun, I will.
I somewhat agree. Its ur game, u pay for it - u can play it however u like. U acknowledge there is "risk" involved & if u get caught then its all on u, altho social justice has nothing to do w/ UO's legal binding TOS. Like the majority of gamers globally, I'd like a level playing field & appreciate all attempts to make it happen.

Bring out Lucille please - Lucille.jpg

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Word, but UO may not be for you if that's what you seek. Time to swallow that bitter pill in my opinion.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Humans will always seek an advantage to get things done - whether for survival or for entertainment. It's in our nature - it's why we are still crawling around on this floating rock.

I don't think there Is such a thing as an MMO that doesn't have cheating. If you want a level playing field, you'll have to go to the park and play chess.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Humans cheat at just abt everything they can period. I understand that inevitability. That doesn't make it right, acceptable, or preferable.

In medical school ur instantly booted for cheating. Outside the circles cheaters run, no one finds it acceptable in real world applications.
Ur telling me u want the ER Doctor/Nurse that cheated past their boards working on ur wife, son, or daughter?
Everyone does it, get over it? Riiiiiiiight.

Don't get all sanctimonious now abt my comparison, I know UO isn't like real world medical issues. The idea is that no one wants/approves
of cheating
under most circumstances UNLESS they're benefiting/profiting from it(directly/indirectly). THAT'S human nature.

I'm not leaving UO cause some tool runs hacks to kill me, I'd have quit back in 1997 were that the case.
I'm also not joining the team I love to see kiss the banstick:twak:. I'll keep playing my game till the lights go off. :)

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not going to not point out the lack of correlation in your analogy between a video game and medical doctors just because you tell me not to. That was a stupid comparison.

Also, you don't get punished for cheating. You get punished because you cheated AND you got caught. Businesses find ways to cheat and manipulate almost all aspects of life. They just don't get caught or go to the point of breaking laws. For example, cigarettes advertised to underage kids until laws were passed. Another stupid comparison, but "don't get sanctimonious about it" just because I said so...

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
If u actually do know the difference then its pretty clear what they said. They said plain as day - bans for multiboxing. Do you need an instructional video to explain ? Seriously, are u just trolling? Saying multiboxing promotes code writing and scripts are good for the game? Wow...:tinhat:
You call me a troll, lol? That's not very respectful, and yeah you missed the main idea of my post! I am entitled to my opinion even if you don't agree or like it.

Yep you can learn coding and other valuable skills from your favorite game! How else can UO expect to retain brains, creative, or thinking players that are familiar with the game and it's code other than to allow some reasonable scripts/macros/etc.? Most players here would agree that most people macro or use some kind of script for legitimate reasons like preventing carpal tunnel. Devs have listened far to long to complainers who are too scared to learn and want to gripe about someone having something they don't.

What bothers me is that with most of us having decades or more put into this game that the DEVS still think it's ok to scold the tiny remaining, and loyal player base, ban, and threaten us over trivalties. It's really NOT ok, it's bad business.

If this were a restaurant, they would be serving up 20 year old MRE rations (meals ready to eat), and kick you out if you use a knife and fork to eat instead of your bare hands. Have respect for us, explain clearly what we can and cannot do and don't just say you will ban without warning. UO you are lucky any of us still play, and should treat us accordingly. You aren't the only MMORPG on the market anymore, and there are tons of good games to play where you can make and do things.

Multiboxing not a fan, meh but even WOW won't ban you for that but they will ban you for buying too many things off an auction house. Go to YouTube, lots of UO folks go other places cause they can't create things here. You will find artists, coders, and creative people of all types who used to play here but gave up and went elsewhere to do what they wanted to do. Who here, 20 years later wants to stick a nickel in their keyboard to get things done?

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This may appear to be getting heated, but I'm coming from a calm and constructive place. I'm reading what you all are saying. Just FYI.

Did you BUY the account from someone?
No, I'm open about what I've done. I've bought gold and vet rewards and power scrolls and stat scrolls. The $200 is from the expansions, boosters, ship, and Mythic token.

Actually no most of us don't and there is a very large difference between manipulating circumstances to be in your favor and cheating and breaking the rules *Laws*.
In the example I used, marketing cigarettes to children, many would consider that cheating and abusing vulnerabilities. All you have to do is watch Disney for a day to see the abuse they do to exploit children to "need" things they don't really need at the parent's expense. Holding a monopoly was done as well until legally forbidden. Just google PharmaBro to see more examples... These are just blatant examples... I'm not going to write a research paper to spell it out.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
The learning coding aspect is a grand joke. Give me a break. I've never seen such a desperate attempt to grasp for straws. And the whole babble about "it's my game, I play they I want."...sure! Within the bounds of the terms of service.. the ones you've agreed to. It's their product, their service.

If your way of enjoying my museum is to **** on the artwork, you're going to be booted. :danceb:

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, exactly. I was just wondering since it was the first drop event since the new rules about multiboxing and our same friends are seem to have a few to sell :rolleyes2:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
YOU SICKO !!!!!
lol
Didn't find anything interesting, haha, wanna pm me the link?
:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:
Go to Bing.com

Put this is the search box: maid come in an extra day a week and sit at my computer with her finger on the key

Click videos

If you dont get stuff then you have filters on.

Do not use bing if you have kids at your house. Google is much tamer.

You can prob get something bad on Bing with any sentence.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The learning coding aspect is a grand joke. Give me a break. I've never seen such a desperate attempt to grasp for straws. And the whole babble about "it's my game, I play they I want."...sure! Within the bounds of the terms of service.. the ones you've agreed to. It's their product, their service.

If your way of enjoying my museum is to **** on the artwork, you're going to be booted. :danceb:
I don't get the correlation between a museum and a video game either... I wouldn't believe anyone on this board hasn't scripted a skill to train attended or unattended. All the "I'm better than thou." people on this board are hypocrites. You can't pick and choose the terms of service.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, exactly. I was just wondering since it was the first drop event since the new rules about multiboxing and our same friends are seem to have a few to sell :rolleyes2:
Then you don't know who the Multiboxers really are

(I didnt see any multiboxers at Yamato)

Last edited:

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Multiboxers won't look multiboxed anymore, the characters will move independently. The scripters adapt too, they just had no reason to until now.

I'm thinking Devs could wipe out half the population but they are hoping a light touch will send a loud message. I'm thinking devs will target the ones who've been the worst offenders first.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't get the correlation between a museum and a video game either... I wouldn't believe anyone on this board hasn't scripted a skill to train attended or unattended. All the "I'm better than thou." people on this board are hypocrites. You can't pick and choose the terms of service.
Excuses me I have not. Sorry you think it is ok to cheat

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope not once did I ever cheat or run a script on official UO. I dabbled on a free shard that encouraged scripting and script writing, which got pretty boring, pretty fast. I have always looked at it this way, if I come into your house I will play by your rules or not come in at all.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nope not once did I ever cheat or run a script on official UO. I dabbled on a free shard that encouraged scripting and script writing, which got pretty boring, pretty fast. I have always looked at it this way, if I come into your house I will play by your rules or not come in at all.
That's violating the TOS too.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Show me where......
Climb off the high horse and take the bitter medicine... Your social standing is just as low as those scripting.

(d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by Electronic Arts for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. Electronic Arts does not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means. You further agree not to create or provide any other means through which Ultima Online may be played by others - for example, through server emulators. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, including any proprietary communications protocol used by the Software. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Ultima Online unless specifically authorized in writing by Electronic Arts.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean seriously - fix the game and scripting decreases.
They're supposedly banning people to fix the game, probably because the devs don't play uo to the extent of most players (if they play UO at all), and they take feedback from people that are likely scripting everything, so based on That feedback, it would become more difficult for honest players. - just speculation, but it sounds like it may be pretty accurate.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
tame a red dragon with more than 1,000hp or whatever for a 1.0 skill gain’ and the dragons randomly spawn
Hate to burst your bubble but I could script the **** out of that.

Basically you want UO to be completely different game?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Climb off the high horse and take the bitter medicine... Your social standing is just as low as those scripting.

(d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by Electronic Arts for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. Electronic Arts does not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means. You further agree not to create or provide any other means through which Ultima Online may be played by others - for example, through server emulators. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, including any proprietary communications protocol used by the Software. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Ultima Online unless specifically authorized in writing by Electronic Arts.
Take it easy tiger:
Tyrath never said he ran the free UO free shard himself, or used illegal software etc, he meant he logged in on one freeshard, and got tired of the bs there, and gave that up. Where did he imply that he broke the UO TOS? Unless you know of things we do not, is it fair to BLAST him like this? He just assured you that he had played an honest UO game, as he also has played for likely 20 years?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means.
We would have to define this part better. Does it mean you have to use the Service "pay by accepted means" or are they calling a free shard Ultima Online? A Free shard is not Ultima Online.

They could be talking about people entering the game without paying thru accepted means.

North_LS

Journeyman
if someone wants to afk script train their skills because its tedious and they want to spend their time at the computer actually enjoying the game, more power to them.

where i have a problem is with people script farming resources, gold, artifacts, EM events, etc across multiple instances of UO 24/7 - that has real effects on the games economy and should be policed.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everyone, please stop admitting to different ways you break or have broken the games rules and accusing others of breaking rules... it's really not a competition... (it's so sad that even needs to be written). Please don't throw personal attacks at each other or attack each others integrity going forward either.

We're up to valid reports against 5+ different people at this point for various reasons, all of which qualify for a warning. The thread is being cleaned up but the potential warnings are still being discussed. We're not sure how this would best be handled yet since there are so many.

Feel free to continue discussing the topic within the rules and without accusations of misconduct (including against the developers or yourself) but if you're one of the reported people there's a large likelihood a warning will still be sent at some point for the things that have already been posted.

This is the applicable rule:
  • Make accusations or publicly air disputes or grievances. Such public accusations can not be resolved on the forums and serve only to stir animosity, which negatively impacts the community as a whole.
    • You may not make public accusations of misconduct against or about any other user of Stratics, staff members, EMs, other players, developers, or guilds.
      • While you may discuss in-game problems in general terms, these should not be written in a way that makes concern(s) identifiable to any individual(s). Disputes or grievances should be taken to private channels

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is the applicable rule:
  • Make accusations or publicly air disputes or grievances. Such public accusations can not be resolved on the forums and serve only to stir animosity, which negatively impacts the community as a whole.
    • You may not make public accusations of misconduct against or about any other user of Stratics, staff members, EMs, other players, developers, or guilds.
      • While you may discuss in-game problems in general terms, these should not be written in a way that makes concern(s) identifiable to any individual(s). Disputes or grievances should be taken to private channels
I agree with those rules and I did not get a warning. :p Neener neener :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But on the same token, I consider the average Joe. The majority of players who have used scripts to train skills etc. With such lack of enforcement, it has created a general mentality that "well everyone else does it and nothing happens." Not that this train of thinking is ok... But it has become a reality. I have played on several shards in several guilds and I usually always hear the same argument.
There's a long history of letting problems go for so many years that the problem becomes integrated into regular play, and when it's removed it causes a lot of people a lot of stress. So, par for the course.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO if you can't play a game the way it is designed and you have to resort to cheats, scripts and hacks to "win" you are a bigger loser than those who can't get there actually playing the game as intended.

Only losers cheat.
I will partially disagree with You .

Lots of the people You call losers Script and Cheat to make Money.

Which means they make Money from their Hobby or Passion.. thats more what Most people achieve in their whole Lifetime.

However i dont say this is good in this Case AS IT Hurts the Game.

But calling them losers i would Not do...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I will partially disagree with You .

Lots of the people You call losers Script and Cheat to make Money.

Which means they make Money from their Hobby or Passion.. thats more what Most people achieve in their whole Lifetime.

However i dont say this is good in this Case AS IT Hurts the Game.

But calling them losers i would Not do...
Then call them criminals... as that's what they are. You can make money if you want off a game... but if doing so breaks the ToS then all you are is a criminal... again cheating to exploit others and the game in such a way that it takes from the game... damaging it. If they really cared about the game they wouldn't do it... but face it... their care stops at themselves. They may think they are providing a service to the community but really all they are doing is hurting it.

I am still calling them losers. Making a profit in clear violation of the ToS they signed... how ethical is that? If people do that sort of thing where they work it's called stealing or embezzlement. Still clearly wrong...