• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

illegal scripting/macroing enforcement

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It is happening:

"""QUOTING MESANNA"""
Below is a list of the actions and the numbers of people we have banned since the first of April.

4/1-4/8

12 disruptive behavior

18 macroers

14 multiboxers

12 solicitation

4/9 – 4/15

14 macroers

7 solicitation

6 disruptive behavior

*** POSTED BY MESANNA APRIL 19 ***

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep. Let's have a fresh start.
A one time massive gold wipe, across all of Ultima Online. Back to zero for EJ launching. :p :p I would be for it actually, I think more people would than some think.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A one time massive gold wipe, across all of Ultima Online. Back to zero for EJ launching. :p :p I would be for it actually, I think more people would than some think.
Only the people who store their wealth in items would be for it, because they lose nothing. Doing this would hugely flip the wealth structure of UO. All the people who have hoarded 30 platinum and are rich now would become poor when it gets deleted, while all the people who spend all their gold buying things instead of collecting it would become the new super rich people since they would still have their stuff and the gold hoarders wouldn't. It would be pretty unfair to half the population. Most of my stuff is items not gold, so it would even benefit me and I still don't think it's a good idea.

Also if they announced a date for the gold wipe the first thing everyone would do is go out and spend every last gold piece they have buying every item on every vendor in the game to preserve their wealth, causing the vendor owners to get screwed by losing their items and then the gold getting deleted.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So why wait for UO to do it? If you are so sure it will help then there is a thing called a trash can that you could put it in, but we all know you won't do it. I am sure UO can track this so show them.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only the people who store their wealth in items would be for it, because they lose nothing. Doing this would hugely flip the wealth structure of UO. All the people who have hoarded 30 platinum and are rich now would become poor when it gets deleted, while all the people who spend all their gold buying things instead of collecting it would become the new super rich people since they would still have their stuff and the gold hoarders wouldn't. It would be pretty unfair to half the population. Most of my stuff is items not gold, so it would even benefit me and I still don't think it's a good idea.

Also if they announced a date for the gold wipe the first thing everyone would do is go out and spend every last gold piece they have buying every item on every vendor in the game to preserve their wealth, causing the vendor owners to get screwed by losing their items and then the gold getting deleted.
Yep this is pretty much spot on.

Its a very tricky situation. I feel for the new players. I remember coming back to UO and saw all these new items and was like "wow, how do I get these things". I remember seeing a Tangle and really wanting on. After killing a bunch of Navreys (easily over 20+) I just gave up and bought some gold of a friend who was playing to get me going. Once you have a kitted out character stuff becomes a bit easier. When you are rolling round in a suit made up from junk loot its a different story unfortunately. I can totally see how these 3rd party sites make money from selling stuff to players as there is obviously demand for it.

The learning/starting curve is just way to big and this needs to be addressed. Removing keys from peerless encounters would be a good start. This would encourage more people to take part and if you don't have to spend hours farming keys for a 10 minute fight people might be more willing to let "noobs" join in with them.

Building a character can also be very boring. Making a sampire/warrior is pretty easy but then the cost of (decent) gear, along with crafted weapons can run into 10's of millions. A tamer would be a good starting character but these days people don't want to spend weeks training up a skill. They just want to load up a game, jump in and play. Sure you can craft and make your own gear but yet again training up the skills to do this and then gathering the materials is just mind numbingly dull.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep this is pretty much spot on.

Its a very tricky situation. I feel for the new players. I remember coming back to UO and saw all these new items and was like "wow, how do I get these things". I remember seeing a Tangle and really wanting on. After killing a bunch of Navreys (easily over 20+) I just gave up and bought some gold of a friend who was playing to get me going. Once you have a kitted out character stuff becomes a bit easier. When you are rolling round in a suit made up from junk loot its a different story unfortunately. I can totally see how these 3rd party sites make money from selling stuff to players as there is obviously demand for it.

The learning/starting curve is just way to big and this needs to be addressed. Removing keys from peerless encounters would be a good start. This would encourage more people to take part and if you don't have to spend hours farming keys for a 10 minute fight people might be more willing to let "noobs" join in with them.

Building a character can also be very boring. Making a sampire/warrior is pretty easy but then the cost of (decent) gear, along with crafted weapons can run into 10's of millions. A tamer would be a good starting character but these days people don't want to spend weeks training up a skill. They just want to load up a game, jump in and play. Sure you can craft and make your own gear but yet again training up the skills to do this and then gathering the materials is just mind numbingly dull.
Couple that with those of us who would like to help the young new players or old returning vets who've been gone a long, long, time... can't put things priced for new returning players on vendors without someone coming along buying it all up taking it to Atl to sell for profit. I just don't vendor anything... If I run into a young returning player I ask them if they would like me to put a suit together for them and generally I can piece something close to 100%lrc 70's resist out of the stuff I take home... Or for Dexers I can generally piece together something again with all 70's and some LMC MR and such with some HCI jewels... I can sometimes help them out with getting items that sell for way too much to deco as well... I've usually got enough Heritage tokens laying about or the 12th-14th anniversary tickets to give them some useful nice things.

I will occasionally sell items to players if they are asking in Gen Chat if they make it worth my while to stop what I'm doing and go get it... and I always try to answer questions in Gen Chat for people. Which means I don't have everyone on ignore but it's hard to pay attention to those needing help with all the fel talk and sale barking going on...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

The fallacy in this logic is that there would be no gold to make a super rich. The idea is to make those items the others have sell for less than 100s of millions. Your last point would suck though.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To wipe all gold and checks UO would have to take down UO and search everything including closed accounts and all houses but before they did that they would need to fix all dupes and put in anti scripting software because the cheaters will amass another large amount of gold again. But for all you that think that wiping all the gold then please show UO that you mean what you say and dump all your gold in the nearest trash can but we all know that you will never do that.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played the game for over 15 years. I have had vendors selling useful supplies and still have a houseful of vendors in Luna.

I have only sold one rare and one event item in my UO lifetime.

If I bought all the120 power scrolls that are needed for only 10 pets it would take more gold than I have saved over the years to do just that.

I was in business all my real life buying and selling items. I play this game for fun and to immerse myself into a fun existence, not a continuation of my real life concentrating on making money/gold. I do pick up gold from spawns in Ilsh, I do loot corpses. Am I the only one who lives like this?

I do not like PVP so please don't throw that "get your own scrolls" at me.

If I'm not alone in this situation, then this tells you about the economy of UO and what a lot of us playing UO face.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have played the game for over 15 years. I have had vendors selling useful supplies and still have a houseful of vendors in Luna.

If I bought all the120 power scrolls that are needed for only 10 pets it would take more gold than I have saved over the years to do just that.

I was in business all my real life buying and selling items. I play this game for fun and to immerse myself into a fun existence, not a continuation of my real life concentrating on making money/gold. I do pick up gold from spawns in Ilsh, I do loot corpses. Am I the only one who lives like this?

If I'm not alone in this situation, then this tells you about the economy of UO and what a lot of us playing UO face.

You're not alone...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Wiping out all gold in a massive gold swipe is the worst possible suicide idea for UO.
If that ever happens, it will be the worst betrayal inflicted on the player base by the devs. It will hurt ALL not just the illegal bot scripters and illegal gold farmers. It will hurt the little guy who is busting his chucks to get and train good pets to sell and make a UO buck, and the poor guy who goes to EM events to get a rare chance to get an item they can sell, to the normal spawn $ maker, to the guy who grinds high end content like the roof to get good items they can sell..etc..Years of work put by good players. The bad guys are NOT the only ones that will get hurt.

I can make you sure that THEN there will be an enormous piss-storm, and a massive UO walk out!
THINK before you post ideas. Especially a nuclear idea like this.LOL

Whoever brought that up are they hoping/wishing UO's ultimate demise?

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I too am one of those who pick us every piece of gold and examines all the potential loot from corpses. I sometimes cave in and buy imbuing ingredients I don’t currently have time to farm - but this takes a pretty good toll on my gold collection- I have earned a couple dozen million from my 10+ years of casual play, and I find I still enjoy a lot of “the grind” because it feels like I am earning my way through the game...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wiping out all gold in a massive gold swipe is the worst possible suicide idea for UO.
If that ever happens, it will be the worst betrayal inflicted on the player base by the devs. It will hurt ALL not just the illegal bot scripters and illegal gold farmers. It will hurt the little guy who is busting his chucks to get and train good pets to sell and make a UO buck, and the poor guy who goes to EM events to get a rare chance to get an item they can sell, to the normal spawn $ maker, to the guy who grinds high end content like the roof to get good items they can sell..etc..Years of work put by good players. The bad guys are NOT the only ones that will get hurt.

I can make you sure that THEN there will be an enormous piss-storm, and a massive UO walk out!
THINK before you post ideas. Especially a nuclear idea like this.LOL

Whoever brought that up are they hoping/wishing UO's ultimate demise?
You make a point, but don't say how it will do what you're saying it will do. Other than Norrington's point on vendors, I don't agree with any argument against it.

The little guy would be advantaged in that the economy is reset gold wise and now has to grind less to afford the items.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You make a point, but don't say how it will do what you're saying it will do. Other than Norrington's point on vendors, I don't agree with any argument against it.

The little guy would be advantaged in that the economy is reset gold wise and now has to grind less to afford the items.
It would kill uo. It's not veterans fault that there was mass duping of gold. It is also not anyones fault that someone is new and don't have immediate access to everything in the game. That's not how this game works. It's also not how life works much to the dissapointment of many.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You have zero proof that getting rid of all the gold will lower prices, you assume. People will hoard all their stuff waiting for more gold to come back. Do you really think that just because there is no more gold that rares sellers are just going to take a huge loss of all their stuff or that people will sell stuff that cost them a lot of gold for a fraction of what it was worth, what world do you live in.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You have zero proof that getting rid of all the gold will lower prices, you assume. People will hoard all their stuff waiting for more gold to come back. Do you really think that just because there is no more gold that rares sellers are just going to take a huge loss of all their stuff or that people will sell stuff that cost them a lot of gold for a fraction of what it was worth, what world do you live in.
Proof would be that there wouldn't be gold to spend hundreds of millions on something that doesn't take that amount of effort to get.

It would kill uo. It's not veterans fault that there was mass duping of gold. It is also not anyones fault that someone is new and don't have immediate access to everything in the game. That's not how this game works. It's also not how life works much to the dissapointment of many.
Still not saying how...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Proof would be that there wouldn't be gold to spend hundreds of millions on something that doesn't take that amount of effort to get.

Still not saying how...
Isn't it ironic that you can see into your crystal ball and know that wiping all gold will help the economy but no way could it kill UO, priceless. What is funny is you say it doesn't take that much effort to get something then why don't you go out and get all this effortless stuff and sell it to everybody on the cheap, that is what drives down prices not by getting rid of all the gold. Care to enlighten us on why when the stock market crashed in the 30s that prices went up not down which in your thinking is what should have happened.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Again, how. Just answer how it will ruin the game. I'm not going to argue every spoke of thought that pops in. You all say it will ruin the game... I respond with how. Then you ask a separate point. How would it ruin the game?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, how. Just answer how it will ruin the game. I'm not going to argue every spoke of thought that pops in. You all say it will ruin the game... I respond with how. Then you ask a separate point. How would it ruin the game?
And you still have your head in the clouds that by getting rid of all the gold in UO is going to save the game. So where is your PROOF. We keep telling you it will piss people off and if there is enough people to keep UO going will just horde all their stuff they will not sell it cheaply when it has already been proven that people will pay the high prices even if they have to wait longer to get it. Supply and Demand, I have the supply and I demand x for it because I will not take a loss.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For me, I play games and hoard stuff. I love to shop so gold is not something I have a lot of. Have you seen the price of pet power scrolls? A gold wipe would not affect me as much as others because I do not have a large stash.

A gold wipe would just hurt the casual players who have saved their gold instead of deco items.

The people you want to hurt are the same people that would power game their game back to the top in a few days and their product would be worth even more since they would have an even higher % more than a typical player does now..

Play Diablo 3 seasons and see how long it takes a power gamer to get paragon 1000. Then go try it by yourself.

I also think a gold wipe would harm the game for casual players that saved their gold for years.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And you still have your head in the clouds that by getting rid of all the gold in UO is going to save the game. So where is your PROOF. We keep telling you it will piss people off and if there is enough people to keep UO going will just horde all their stuff they will not sell it cheaply when it has already been proven that people will pay the high prices even if they have to wait longer to get it. Supply and Demand, I have the supply and I demand x for it because I will not take a loss.
Proof and points in a conversation are two different things... You say a gold wipe will hurt the game, how? I say it won't and have given reasons. You just lack points to discuss in a conversation.

Here is how a gold wipe would ruin UO for me:

I have been playing for about 13.5 years now. Quite a few years ago, I got the bug to try to train up crafters, a peace tamer, a treasure hunter, and a faction thief on every shard, including Siege and Mugen. I'm still not done with that process, although I've made some good progress. A few of my peace tamers have used 120 power scrolls and most of the blacksmith/tailor/artificers have used 120 scrolls. However, for most of my peace tamers, I've settled for 115 and 110 scrolls because I just don't have the gold to buy 120 power taming, lore, vet, music, peace, and magery scrolls for all of them. Just don't have it and never will.

Now, if there was a gold wipe, it would take away the approximately 130 million in gold I've managed to squirrel away over 13.5 years on all of those characters and all of those shards. I have a grand total of ONE item from an EM event that I got at an event on Balhae about 1.5 months ago. It is an item that I have not seen anyone else trying to sell, so I have no idea what it is worth. I also have vet rewards pulled from my own accounts that I've used to furnish houses on 7 shards and on Siege and Mugen. Other than that, what do I have of value that I could sell to quickly raise gold again to cover insurance costs on all of those characters? I have nothing, really. Piddly amounts of resources like leather, ingots, wood, and reagents. Some piles of hoarded jewelry that I may or may not ever be able to imbue additional properties on. Some city banners. No hoarded books of power scrolls, SoTs, SoAs, or stat scrolls. I own not even one crimson cincture or anything similar. No rare pets to sell.

I would be very, very irritated if all of a sudden all of those characters I worked so hard to build and who are not rich by any means all of a sudden become so poor that they can't even keep the clothes on their bodies if something stupid happened like a city invasion in the places where most of them are logged out.

Yes, I know all about building characters from scratch. I've been doing it for the last 13.5 years, including on shards like Siege and Mugen. I really do NOT want to keep doing it forever in UO. I've already done as much of it as I really want to do to get to the places where my characters are now. I spent a lot of time already using my peace tamers to try to put aside some gold so I can one day make my characters better and get them better gear or maybe build a house on a shard where I don't have one now and drop one I already have. I do not want to have to do it all again. If I lose gold in the game through my own stupidity, that's one thing. But to have the game developers yank it away on every character, on every shard....sorry, that would be the end of my playing UO.
So, insurance? In that wall of text it boils down to insurance. The power scrolls you can't afford are because of all the gold in the economy by the way... And insurance gold can be covered easily by playing the game casually. I sacrifice fame all the time and farm demons and get plenty of gold for insurance. A wipe would just lower the obscene prices of items you're already saying you with over a hundred million can't afford. Imagine returning to the game or being new and having 0 instead of over 100 million.

A gold wipe would, in a fairly short time, lower the cost of items. People play to buy the items. If no one is buying items at millions, no one will sell it at millions.
For me, I play games and hoard stuff. I love to shop so gold is not something I have a lot of. Have you seen the price of pet power scrolls? A gold wipe would not affect me as much as others because I do not have a large stash.

A gold wipe would just hurt the casual players who have saved their gold instead of deco items.

The people you want to hurt are the same people that would power game their game back to the top in a few days and their product would be worth even more since they would have an even higher % more than a typical player does now..

Play Diablo 3 seasons and see how long it takes a power gamer to get paragon 1000. Then go try it by yourself.

I also think a gold wipe would harm the game for casual players that saved their gold for years.
If a player has a playstyle where they just like to hoard a currency and nothing else, I'm fine with that player being put off with this kind of change. I have max level on all classes and genders on Diablo 3 and I paragon a seasonal Demon Hunter almost every season, swapped to Necromancer for a season though.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's what you got out of what I said?

Holy cow. This is a hopeless conversation.
Yeah I was going to post a wall of text disputing his claims but I felt like you do. Honestly I think he/she is just trolling. Someone who has played this game for any substantial amount of time knows it would make so many people quit that the game would no longer be sustainable financially thus killing the game.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Proof and points in a conversation are two different things... You say a gold wipe will hurt the game, how? I say it won't and have given reasons. You just lack points to discuss in a conversation.

So, insurance? In that wall of text it boils down to insurance. The power scrolls you can't afford are because of all the gold in the economy by the way... And insurance gold can be covered easily by playing the game casually. I sacrifice fame all the time and farm demons and get plenty of gold for insurance. A wipe would just lower the obscene prices of items you're already saying you with over a hundred million can't afford. Imagine returning to the game or being new and having 0 instead of over 100 million.

A gold wipe would, in a fairly short time, lower the cost of items. People play to buy the items. If no one is buying items at millions, no one will sell it at millions.

If a player has a playstyle where they just like to hoard a currency and nothing else, I'm fine with that player being put off with this kind of change. I have max level on all classes and genders on Diablo 3 and I paragon a seasonal Demon Hunter almost every season, swapped to Necromancer for a season though.
Lost cause :next:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have max level on all classes and genders on Diablo 3 and I paragon a seasonal Demon Hunter almost every season

Takes me a few hours to get max level. I said paragon 1000 in a season. A guy I played daily with did it within 48 hours of the season start. One reason I gave up and came back to UO. I was tired of gaming against the hardcore types.

But as far as a gold wipe. It is not going to happen.

They have their plans for the next year laid out. Taking earned resources away from players is not a good decision.

That's my input on that matter. :next:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not trolling, everyone of you have said it won't happen, it's bad, people will quit... no one has said WHY. Norrington said vendors, and that's valid, but other than that I just see a bunch of people that just don't want change just because it's change.

Tina, the only other thing I got out of your post after looking again was a feeling of wealth and being rich. This feeling is fine, but a person with 10 plat today is considered rich. If they wipe gold, a person with 1 million may feel rich. The rich feeling is still there, the perspective just changed.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You totally missed the aspect of training characters on every shard and still today, after 13 years, not having enough gold to finish those characters? 130 million gold is nothing, especially when it is spread out among 26 shards and then among 5-7 characters on each shard. Each character has almost nothing now and you want to take away the 13 years of work that it took to get them that little bit? That's craziness. Why would I ever want to start all over again with making gold for 130-150 different characters? It would be too overwhelming.
How would wiping out gold and reducing prices hinder this? Things would cost less because the idea of selling things is that they sell. if there is less gold, items sell for less. No one said anything about wiping skills.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes, then, I am saying that for someone that's only goal was to find some minimal value of gold on a bunch of shards for no reason except personal satisfaction, I don't care about that kind of player's attitude about the change. I hope that you're an exception rather than a rule to how most people have played the game.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No, that's the person I feel a change like this hurts the most now that they are attempting to ban scripters. I'm all for that. The only reason I may or may have not dealt with RMT in the past is because of the obscene amounts of gold required to buy anything in this game.

People that rely on a virtual game to pay their bills should already be aware of how unreliable their situation is.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People that rely on a virtual game to pay their bills should already be aware of how unreliable their situation is.
Oh i'm sure they are aware of how unstable and how unpredictable their source of income is.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Another thought is that if the price of power and stat scrolls is too high, perhaps additional, easier means for getting these items should be added to the game.
If the price is too high, lower it! Why tweak loot drops, locations, etc when the players themselves can control things?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on stratics.

Items are expensive because there is more gold in the economy.

Which means... if you want some gold then "supply" some of those items.

90k for powder of fort
300k for 10 dark sapphires
400k for a forged pardon
300k-3M for mana phasing orbs
etc. etc.

There is a plethora of easy ways to generate your own gold. Don't blame other people because you aren't spending your game time efficiently enough to make enough gold to buy what you want.

Get off your ass and earn it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

90k for powder of fort
400k for a forged pardon
etc. etc.

There is a plethora of easy ways to generate your own gold. Don't blame other people because you aren't spending your game time efficiently enough to make enough gold to buy what you want.

Those prices are fine. I can make 1M gold dyes with my cook.

Look up how much it would cost to make a pet with all 120 scrolls.

Im fine with deco items costing a lot. But we can use power scrolls.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Tina Small The trouble with forcing a price is that the supply would be depleted by the rich and it also removes that layer of player economy that many people enjoy. I like talking alternatives more than arguing back and forth though so this was a nice twist to the conversation. I'll think of other alternatives as well, but as it's Sunday I have to rest for work.

Donations for useless deco would be great too. If they could implement a fair "Welfare" system, but honestly that sounds like bad gameplay. Not sure how that'd be fun, but it's not a bad idea.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I hope you've read the whole thread and not just picked out my posts to complain about them. I'm NOT the person who suggested all gold needs to be wiped because things are too expensive. I was just trying to make a reply to someone who implied I'm a greedy person because I didn't like the gold wipe idea.
No ... there was no "target". It was a simple statement. How can folks expect to get 300 mil or more for items from noobs? And not everyone spends 4 or more hours ingame ... in fact I'm lucky if I can do 2. Soooo, available cash for them is low.

I'm one of them. I have somewhere north of 100 mil, but I can't afford these scroll prices! I'm forced to play in a way that generates some income with the hope that _someday_ I might be able to snag that 110 or 120 I want.

Lower the prices ... the cost to get the things to sell wasn't all that much. Make the stuff affordable for more people and sales might pick up as well. Who knows. But it's all under player control to do that.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

90k for powder of fort
400k for a forged pardon
etc. etc.

What Grimiz Said

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No ... there was no "target". It was a simple statement. How can folks expect to get 300 mil or more for items from noobs? And not everyone spends 4 or more hours ingame ... in fact I'm lucky if I can do 2. Soooo, available cash for them is low.

I'm one of them. I have somewhere north of 100 mil, but I can't afford these scroll prices! I'm forced to play in a way that generates some income with the hope that _someday_ I might be able to snag that 110 or 120 I want.

Lower the prices ... the cost to get the things to sell wasn't all that much. Make the stuff affordable for more people and sales might pick up as well. Who knows. But it's all under player control to do that.
Yeah hard not to admit the devs pancaked the pooch when it came to pets and power scrolls. They should have created pet scrolls and added them to MIBs and treasure chests. Would have revived two lacking professions and would have avoided the price spike in power scrolls.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So why wait for UO to do it? If you are so sure it will help then there is a thing called a trash can that you could put it in, but we all know you won't do it. I am sure UO can track this so show them.
Yep, the Captain is right. I horde my gold in items too to be truthful. I can never hold onto more than 20-25m gold, I spend anything I get in no time. That's why my tamer has only 1 pet too even, I can't save 250m to 120 another pet.

That comment was written half jokingly though, there's a hundred reasons why they could never do that. It would however, assuredly fix the buying power of gold.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no one has said WHY.
So people getting pissed because you took all their gold away and will quit isn't a good enough reason for you but you have not given 0ne reason why it wont happen. Get those rose colored glasses off.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How would wiping out gold and reducing prices hinder this? Things would cost less because the idea of selling things is that they sell. if there is less gold, items sell for less. No one said anything about wiping skills.
Do you have a crystal that you know that prices will be reduced? Could you give us all the next winning LOTO numbers?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Tina had a suggestion, and it has been touted before.
Intead of NUKING the entire game's gold, and almost certainly cause this game to die pretty fast with the massive player anger and exodus it would cause:
--> It is bound to happen, just accept it : Best solution for the pet scrolls is to make them more EASILY available than they are now. Make lower PS 110's and 105's and even 115's drop in "other" tough encounters, and:
--> Even BETTER : Pets are just that, PETS. Why not have PET specific scrolls drop from these other encounters such as Turtle, and other spawns in Abyss, Sleeping Dragon non-fel areas? Give them a different color (? Green? whatever)

For the rares : This is what they are RARES. One of a kind items. Leave them as they are. They are and have always been pricey. As they should be. Same thing with good legendary armor pieces. Why Nuke everything?
For the cheaters and the dupers: They have been there, and they will always be. Just accept it, and dont be a part of it. Once in a while they get caught, and the consequences you know.

If your beef is that the PS prices are too high and you cannot scroll your pets, then please just say so. There are other solutions that could be implemented. Give some helpful suggestions. But not something that will KILL this game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If your beef is that the PS prices are too high and you cannot scroll your pets, then please just say so. There are other solutions that could be implemented. Give some helpful suggestions. But not something that will KILL this game.
He doesn't play UO so he does not really care about prices. He likes to play the forum games like I do. Cept I am also playing UO on the screen next to the forums.

There are people that think starting over is a solution. In games that have an end game like Diablo 3. That works great. But, in a game that does not have an end, that will not work. People have collected gold as they play and many spend it. There is no reason to punish players for their play style.

He should jump on the new shard idea and leave the rest of us alone and let us play the way we want to play.

In other games there are groups that do like to start over or play an iron man version on their own. UO just does not have the population to get a group together to do that.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I suppose anyone that already bought from third party gold selling sites would just go and buy more gold....so the real winners would be the RMT sites, not surprising that some people think that a wipe would be a good idea....I wonder why?!
Personally I've never been very good at making gold I don't think I've ever had more than 80 million, it goes up and down as I need power scrolls. I'm a bit lazy and I don't really care about making money in a game.
I agree though that the real losers here would be the people in the middle without huge piles of resources and a ton of rares. I only have two EM rares and I would never sell those. Genuine new players wouldn't have much to lose.
If I had to start over again from nothing I think I would prefer to do it somewhere new with a totally even playing field. *shrugs*

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
He doesn't play UO so he does not really care about prices. He likes to play the forum games like I do. Cept I am also playing UO on the screen next to the forums.
I regularly post on the official forums. This is an accusation and against TOS.

You all are very defensive and aggressive for people that don't have any points to what you're saying and just jump straight to your conclusions.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Arrgh. My post was somewhat sarcastic, but the gist of it was that you'd give your gold to Broadsword, i.e., it would be pulled out of the game permanently, and Broadsword would then turn around and use real money to make a real donation to a real nonprofit. It would never work of course, but was a stupid suggestion for another type of "gold sink" to get more gold out of the game voluntarily rather than the idea you seemed to support of having Broadsword wipe all gold out of the game.
Do you guys have trouble accepting other people's opinions in real life as well? Arrgh back at ya.