• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stratics: The "unvarnished" events of the past few days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Nabin,

The JC issue. What if it was me or someone else on another forum that said post on Stratics they can't handle it. Is there a difference because of who said it?
It doesn't matter who it is.

I agree that content from a place other that stratics shouldn't affect your status or account on stratics.

Except

1. If you are considered or demonstrate yourself as a credible threat to the site, a member of the site, or staff.

My comment in my OP was that I could see how the Board could view it as a problem.

I think this point as I thought it would is being blown out of proportion

Last edited:

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just because someone hasn't given to Stratics in the last few months doesn't mean we've never supported Stratics in any way. Some of us have been around here since the last century, remember.
That was not the point friend sorry you took it that way.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just because someone hasn't given to Stratics in the last few months doesn't mean we've never supported Stratics in any way. Some of us have been around here since the last century, remember.
I totally agree friend and that was not the point

Sorry you took it that way friend

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't really kept up with the who said what, who posted what or any of that. It is spring and well being outside this time of year is much more interesting than reading what is being written on any forum. I did come on Stratics just to see whats going on and I see this massive thread. I read some of it, not about to read a wall of text but what bits and pieces I did read makes me want to make one comment.

Everyone who pays for an Ultima Account contributes to Stratics for without the players who play this game there is no need for this forum. Try not to forget this fact.

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Anyone have a pic of a dead horse being kicked they can post for me? We are seriously rehashing moderators moderating a flame/ troll forum in private and people are shocked that names were named?!?! Whatever shall we do? Peeps want attention for the crap they post and when they get it they complain about it? They attempt to get under the skin of mods , succeed and the mods talk about it and that makes u mad? Just wow. Just block this useless circular thread and move on for Pete's sake. Wasting good board space about why the EC is better...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone else wishing for a UO website with great game information and strategy articles and absolutely no forums??
Wouldn't work well because you need discussion and ways to add information that is accurate which I don't think is possible without a forum to discuss it. Also the UO world needs a place where we can ask questions of the UO gaming public and get an answer when it can't be found on the website... But and this is the stickler here..... it needs to be somewhere that you feel safe from ridicule and abuse.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is crazy and a very serious issue. I read on the other site what was posted today and I was appalled by the screenshots.

Truthfully at this point a very sincere public apology should be issued to JC and the people that was on this list only. If there was any money contributed to help purchase the site from the same people should be given back to them.

I really can't believe the behavior from the current staff, the board, or wherever you want to call yourselves, to actually screw the community which is what you were doing. Before the site was sold some of the current board and staff was already in place and allowed some of the disruptive behavior from many that isn't on the list. Now a list was made and it's more personal than professional in my opinion. You all should be ashamed and embarrassed who took upon yourselves to make a list.

You just took 20 steps backward instead of bringing a community together. You don't even deserve pity for what this has caused.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's very obvious to me the SR. Staff here doesn't overly see their wrongdoing, they are just apologizing for being caught and arguing their case.

Edit. Someone is apologizing for them and defending their case.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wouldn't work well because you need discussion and ways to add information that is accurate which I don't think is possible without a forum to discuss it. Also the UO world needs a place where we can ask questions of the UO gaming public and get an answer when it can't be found on the website... But and this is the stickler here..... it needs to be somewhere that you feel safe from ridicule and abuse.
Not true. They are making a wiki. Devs in most mmo games have official forums but do more posting on Reddit. Why reddit? They have way more relaxed rules than official forums. All BS has to do is make a Reddit UO forum and problem solved.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let me break that down for you.

"However, there's plenty of people who do have that banner who seem to feel" = this is who is being discussed
"that it should somehow permit them to attack others, break rules, and generally get away with it" = this is what they are doing
"based on their comments here and at HOT" = this is where they are doing it, with the 'when' being obvious (the past few days' posts)
"because they contributed $5" = this is the important part, the WHY they think this is ok.

Sorry, you can twist the words, but nothing I said says anything about "using Stratics ROC to ban people for what they say on other boards".
LOL I did not twist a damn thing. HOT should not be a part of the discussion and the Banners should have never been mentioned but you go ahead and try to support those statements or maybe I shouldn't say things like that as you think those statements are ok and I have no banners. And yes that is exactly what it implies.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I wonder how much money these days it takes before it's classified as a federal offense,
I have blown a grand on sillier things.

Damn Nabin! It took me a decade generate that kind of uproar!

I never liked JC the Builder. Just saying...

I do not have all of the context. I can not judge.

Good luck team stratics.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not true. They are making a wiki. Devs in most mmo games have official forums but do more posting on Reddit. Why reddit? They have way more relaxed rules than official forums. All BS has to do is make a Reddit UO forum and problem solved.
Anyone who thinks it's as easy as that is simply mistaken. The grass isn't always greener.

Anyone who thinks the developers see this thread and think "hey, maybe its time we should make our own forums" is absolutely fooling themselves. This type of drama is exactly what the developers wouldn't want to deal with (and shouldn't ever waste resources on considering the size of their staff).

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I agree that content from a place other that stratics shouldn't affect your status or account on stratics.

Except

1. If you are considered or demonstrate yourself as a credible threat to the site, a member of the site, or staff.

My comment in my OP was that I could see how the Board could view it as a problem.

I think this point at I thought it would is being blown out of proportion
Oh they could see it as a problem all they like. What they shouldn't do is ban someone for it. Let me rephrase, put people on a list to, "...vote on concerning immediate banning."

Chanel #1

Adventurer
Anyone who thinks the developers see this thread and think "hey, maybe its time we should make our own forums" is absolutely fooling themselves. This type of drama is exactly what the developers wouldn't want to deal with (and shouldn't ever waste resources on considering the size of their staff).
I think you'll remember posting this in a week or two and realize how wrong you are. Keep an eye out on uo.com.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Elenni,

I appreciate you answering the communities questions. May I ask that you answer questions in order so they do not get lost. I asked questions on the 1rst and 2nd page of this thread.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*shakes head*

Last edited:

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Anyone else wishing for a UO website with great game information and strategy articles and absolutely no forums??
I have blown a grand on sillier things.

Damn Nabin! It took me a decade generate that kind of uproar!

I never liked JC the Builder. Just saying...

I do not have all of the context. I can not judge.

Good luck team stratics.

And you thought being a Dread Lord was something :)

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

Except

So you actively and openly selling Accounts, Houses and Gold for Real World Currency which directly effects the RoC of stratics and depending on whom is viewing your actions could warrant it as a 'threat' to the site??

If that's the case, you should probably have made the list.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok I've read this entire thread. My only comment is this, there's a not too small list of names in my head now, they might all be moderators, they might be a mix. I may have worded it that way to confuse the dumb, idk...but i'll now be scrolling right past their names, even if they're commenting on a thread I've posted. Because I no longer trust or respect their answer(s), the truth hurts...don't it ?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I've tried to wade through all these posts, only to end up even more stressed than when I learned a short while ago who we just lost. :(

As someone who has become addicted to the art of Escapism since my retirement, I will bid all of you a good evening and go play with my cocker spaniel.

Take care, everyone.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I just know I did 10 years (almost). Everyone that matters has an opinion how I rated as a mod. I will just say in my own defense that polite and pleasant people used to post here on stratics. I worry that is coming to an end.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
But than again @Lord Nabin some people here is taking "Outside" Info and using the same info to act against the Stratics Users Account, and my question stands , why any information outside this border should affect someone's account here??
ATL, we apologize that you were banned. We do not, except under very specific circumstances, ban someone for what they do off our site -- which is why the Board did not and would not have voted to ban you or taken that action. That unfortunate action was taken by a lone board member without the authority of the rest of the Board..

Once we discovered the action had been taken, we reversed those bans.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fun times... seriously though... whatever images got circulated should have just been kept quiet about. Who cares if some of the trolls find out that the site moderators dislike some of their 15,000 posts.... hehe. Let the site mods make fun of who they want privately... as the trolls and people are in the forums already anyway. But... we do need professionalism.... so a running list of people to boot isn't too bad. Just.... keep it real.

1) Keep me off your list please... lol, I love this site.
2) Just put the worst people on there.....
3) We should be allowed to mention other sites. (I'm not talking about a Troll who posts on average 45-100 links to his page a day or something... and the mods know this.) I don't even know what the RoC or whatever thing is and didn't even know Stratics had one... hehe. But we should be allowed to mention other sites.
4) Clops should be allowed to use his real account (I told wife I bet he makes another to use until then, hehe)... he didn't do anything wrong... if anything he caused most of us some excitement for the night.
5) Capn't Norrington should come back too.... and all people on said list were given a 2nd chance... so what's the harm? We've all been laughed at guys... especially for being internet trolls.... it's a good thing if you troll so much that mods have silent forums talking about how much of a pain in the a** you are from time to time.... I've had my run ins with people on Stratics too many times the past 4 years hehe. (I'm not saying nothing; for all I know I could have been on the list, lol.... but I'm glad I know about it b/c I easily let loose on people that I dislike, like the guy who tried to snag my 1p ring for 100m the other night at 11:45... :D; But then I was like my bad dude... I should have sold to you and took the extra 350m.... s**t happens, people are human.)
6) Let's all just get hiiiiigh guys and go kill some draggys and fight some champions.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fun times... seriously though... whatever images got circulated should have just been kept quiet about. Who cares if some of the trolls find out that the site moderators dislike some of their 15,000 posts.... hehe. Let the site mods make fun of who they want privately... as the trolls and people are in the forums already anyway. But... we do need professionalism.... so a running list of people to boot isn't too bad. Just.... keep it real.

1) Keep me off your list please... lol, I love this site.
2) Just put the worst people on there.....
3) We should be allowed to mention other sites. (I'm not talking about a Troll who posts on average 45-100 links to his page a day or something... and the mods know this.) I don't even know what the RoC or whatever thing is and didn't even know Stratics had one... hehe. But we should be allowed to mention other sites.
4) Clops should be allowed to use his real account (I told wife I bet he makes another to use until then, hehe)... he didn't do anything wrong... if anything he caused most of us some excitement for the night.
5) Capn't Norrington should come back too.... and all people on said list were given a 2nd chance... so what's the harm? We've all been laughed at guys... especially for being internet trolls.... it's a good thing if you troll so much that mods have silent forums talking about how much of a pain in the a** you are from time to time.... I've had my run ins with people on Stratics too many times the past 4 years hehe. (I'm not saying nothing; for all I know I could have been on the list, lol.... but I'm glad I know about it b/c I easily let loose on people that I dislike, like the guy who tried to snag my 1p ring for 100m the other night at 11:45... :D; But then I was like my bad dude... I should have sold to you and took the extra 350m.... s**t happens, people are human.)
6) Let's all just get hiiiiigh guys and go kill some draggys and fight some champions.
The issue isn't "they were making fun of people privately," the issue is they were assembling a hitlist of people they were going to ban regardless of whether they broke the RoC.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
ATL, we apologize that you were banned. We do not, except under very specific circumstances, ban someone for what they do off our site -- which is why the Board did not and would not have voted to ban you or taken that action. That unfortunate action was taken by a lone board member without the authority of the rest of the Board..

Thanks for the answer!! But this happened b4 with at least 6+ members, We had to change our Stratics Name and removed ICQ# from "other" websites be was somehow associated with RMT... which was the reason I was really upset, bc no one from stratics, members, staff or anyone, should have an opinion on what we do outside the forums...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just know I did 10 years (almost). Everyone that matters has an opinion how I rated as a mod. I will just say in my own defense that polite and pleasant people used to post here on stratics. I worry that is coming to an end.
When I resurrected things I came here knowing there would be all types of posters and expected some chaff with the wheat. But you've nailed it ... there's more chaff THAN wheat. What a mess.

I think I'll go do some BODs then figure out where I wanna hunt down the newest addition to my death robe collection.

As for your modding ... I thought you handled things with quite a bit of tact with some sarcasm and wit tossed in. Worked for me.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My goodness this list has a lot of folks in a tizzy. Seriously though, are you surprised? That's not a slam against the Mods or anyone else. It's the nature of the beast. I find it hard to believe that at some point and time in everyones' lives we have said something about someone or something in private that we would certainly not want to made public. Is this a bit more serious? Perhaps. But really only as serious as a message board based on a game that started in 1997 can be.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Sorry friend don't get your hopes up . There is not a lot of "damage" done here. It's just a small interruption in a greater process of growing a community
Respectfully disagree. There has been a destruction of trust. While you may play your character well Uncle Nabs, the reality is anyone watching from a seat on Broadsword staff is probably utterly disgusted by what they are seeing happen. This most certainly is not community-building. It's quite the opposite, friend.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
My goodness this list has a lot of folks in a tizzy. Seriously though, are you surprised? That's not a slam against the Mods or anyone else. It's the nature of the beast. I find it hard to believe that at some point and time in everyones' lives we have said something about someone or something in private that we would certainly not want to made public. Is this a bit more serious? Perhaps. But really only as serious as a message board based on a game that started in 1997 can be.
It's one thing to say "dude Frank is a real douchebag" and it's quite another to make a list of "douchebags" (or as they have used the word "turds") that are part of a community you are trying to build, and collude with others in charge on a way to "remove" (read: ban) said "douchebags" (read: turds) from said community. Without proper reason

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Haven´t read the entire thread yet so for now I´ll only say this:
IMO, what you do on other sites/ICQ should also be reflected on your membership on Stratics.
In some cases, posters "exploit" Stratics to be able to do what they do on other sites/ICQ.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran

Why are you throwing Captn under the buss when @Nexus started that entire conversation. Captn didn't insinuate any hard feelings any worse than Nexus. Now, you are carefully using him as a scape goat. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Let me ask a question.

Is a topic to discuss permabans on a user by user basis due to repeated violations okay?

Because often times, as staff on other forums and admins on other forums, we maintain documented proof in a thread dedicated to a user and then staff discuss when it gets piled too high whether the person should be finally permabanned.

In some ways, the list was not a surprise. The reasons behind the list were. But discussions on banning problem users is somethign that routinely happens and should happen when there is question if a user has crossed the line one too many times.
Yes, but this is not what happened here. Instead it was a total degradation of community members with staff looking to create reasons to ban them because they simply did not like them. Smoot was on the list for "abuse of the report function" after being told to report posts that break the roc. JC was on the list for comments made on another forum entirely. No, this was not a list of people with a certain number of points that always skirt just under the ban number. This was something else entirely.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Respectfully disagree. There has been a destruction of trust. While you may play your character well Uncle Nabs, the reality is anyone watching from a seat on Broadsword staff is probably utterly disgusted by what they are seeing happen. This most certainly is not community-building. It's quite the opposite, friend.
Is there something in particular you'd like to discuss about the list itself?

Whether they open a new forum or not, it isn't really relevant to what is being discussed.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The "whole reason this got going" was because someone published a private conversation they had no right to distribute or share, and in fact were barred from publishing by the terms of their NDA.
This is not true Elenni. Clops was NOT UNDER ANY NDA

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

With your statement it is interesting that his name even got on THE LIST as the only ROC he broke was Stratics was when it was used on another site but the person/people that did it are still here, WHY

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I appreciate you and your disagreement friend. While I agree it doesn't help that much with building community, It sure isn't a massive disaster.

Seriously doubt the broadsword staff is seriously disgusted, but I wouldn't be surprised if they waited till things settled a bit.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's one thing to say "dude Frank is a real douchebag" and it's quite another to make a list of "douchebags" (or as they have used the word "turds") that are part of a community you are trying to build, and collude with others in charge on a way to "remove" (read: ban) said "douchebags" (read: turds) from said community. Without proper reason
Yes, but this is not what happened here. Instead it was a total degradation of community members with staff looking to create reasons to ban them because they simply did not like them. Smoot was on the list for "abuse of the report function" after being told to report posts that break the roc. JC was on the list for comments made on another forum entirely. No, this was not a list of people with a certain number of points that always skirt just under the ban number. This was something else entirely.
So what's your point? Trying to grind an ax because you're an ex-mod? Kind of ironic, considering you didn't seem to mind calling for people to be banned or silenced when you were in the position.

This is not true Elenni. Clops was NOT UNDER ANY NDA
How do you know?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven´t read the entire thread yet so for now I´ll only say this:
IMO, what you do on other sites/ICQ should also be reflected on your membership on Stratics.
In some cases, posters "exploit" Stratics to be able to do what they do on other sites/ICQ.
So you think if someone sussed out my Stormfront username that it should be cause to ban me from Stratics?

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Stop being drama queen Flutter. Everyone loves you.
I am just glad she is finally back and just when I stopped looking over my shoulder for the flick of that whip!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I know I do,

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So what's your point? Trying to grind an ax because you're an ex-mod? Kind of ironic, considering you didn't seem to mind calling for people to be banned or silenced when you were in the position.

How do you know?
I wouldn't feed into this, it's not really important why she would know or not.

If Clops would like to dispute this, I'm sure he has more than enough contacts to do so. I'm sure he does not need Flutter to do so for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.