• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You shouldn't be able to lock skills or mark them up or down. It was too much fun to run up to to people and start campfires and watch them curse as their GM skill went down because they gained in camping, heh.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure the majority are on board for skill/stat lock, I am and I think I remember Morgana being so as well. But disregarding us for a moment I'm certain most players when asked will vote yes, we actually need to discourage griefing tactics like the ones you mention Chaos.

It's one of those seems fun until it's done to you kind of things, although I honestly never had that happen to me I know it was an issue for more than a few others, but the nightmare of constantly having to see saw on the skills was annoying at the best of times.

E

Evlar

Of course it would mean disregarding everything from Ren onwards which is why I say it's pretty much a guaranteed no, obviously one of the biggest hurdles there is the fact that everyone has paid for those expansions/content, theres really no way to reimburse that.

After paying my subscriptions for eleven years, I would say that a live classic shard would be reimbursement enough for me. :)

What would be interesting, is how they would implement it, given all the expansions.

Would they have stand-alone client access, or a publish with a "classic" ruleset within, allowing selection from within current client and shard listings. Will be interesting to see how that one's done for sure.

Just food for thought.
You shouldn't be able to lock skills or mark them up or down. It was too much fun to run up to to people and start campfires and watch them curse as their GM skill went down because they gained in camping, heh.
Amusing though it might be, many might see someone running around doing that as "grief".

The ability to toggle and lock skills and stats wasn't a bad change actually.

Personally, I much preferred stuffing someone's house with as many critters large and small, that my tamer could tame. Was especially fun when there were only small houses. ;)

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This should also be before control slots, so tamers should be able to tow around 50 dragons at once, hehehehe.

ALL KILL

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't turn to free shards for a simple reason, they never seem to recreate the community and most of them are filled with ranks of players who caused the majority of the issues in the old days.

that's my issue also, plus freeshards can just vanish on you with no warning ect ect.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This should also be before control slots, so tamers should be able to tow around 50 dragons at once, hehehehe.

ALL KILL

that was soooo annoying, like I said before there was a guy at Brit Cem that had 20+ drakes with him, you stood no chance

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Taming has always been a very powerful skill. I have seen more people complaining about tamers than any other template over the years. I still think it is an important part of UO though, and I would probably not bother with a shard that didn't have taming.

The thing is, people complain about bonding, because they want to kill the tamer's pets (not sure why this is really all that important if the tamer is dead...but whatever). But then if you take out bonding, and go back to no control slots, everyone is going to complain about tamers having 5 dragons, or 20 drakes, or whatever.

Not sure how to please everyone on this one, because if you put in control slots without bonding, you will effectively eliminate tamers from the shard...with bonding, you p-off a certain group of non-tamers, and without control slots you p-off another group of non-tamers.

Personally, I don't care which one is used...I liked both systems...as long as it doesn't make tamers unplayable (slots with no bonding).

Taming already takes FOREVER to GM, unless you are a cheater and script...it has it's rewards, but no other template in the game takes that long to GM.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not to hype pub 16 at all, but I like the taming slots plus bonding, with bonding you get skill loss with the pets, I think that's pretty fair.

however this being a classic shard, I'm fine either way on the issue. because to be honest the people running around with the 20+ drakes are far and few between.

K

Keep Hope Alive

ALL KILL
I mostly remember tamers only running around with that many pets during SERVER WARS when nothing saved and if their pet would die or get lost they did not care. A tamer with a multitude of pets can be taken down if there are enough people with the skill and desire to do so. Just lead the dragons/drakes away from their master and he is vulnerable to being killed easily without his pets. Then start killing the dead tamers pets so that if and when he rezzes, he will have less overpowered pets to attack you with again. That is why tamers don't take out so many dragons at once except in server wars because they do not want to lose several high end pets at one time.

Additionally, the shard that I currently play on has the old stable rules where the STABLE MASTER that you stable a pet with is the only stable master that you can retrieve that stabled pet from. You cannot stable your pet in Skara Brae and try to claim that stabled pet in Delucia. Also what happens on the shard that I play on is that I frequently go to stable my pet and get the message, "the stables are full". This is annoying, but actually quite realistic in a sense instead of each person being able to stable limitless amounts of pets at the same stable.

Keep hope alive.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think anyone is advocating no taming, I actually don't care if bonding is in but slots I think are really important, seems like a small tradeoff. I really like the idea of this Classic Era thing coming as a CD/Box/etc with the original treasure chest login and the mp3 versions of the original music as found here for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWjj-yua2Zg&feature=related just hearing it brings back memories wow.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I'd really like to see a re-launch box. I still have all of the stuff from my charter edition box from back in the day. I don't have anything from T2A though...(I got my copy of T2A from Garriott himself at a convention!...He also signed my Prima UO Strat Guide...which I DO still have!)

Even the box was better back then!

vs.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually think I might enjoy the enhanced client on a classic server minus some small issues with some of the monster models, but just the thought of a classic relaunch box is awesome to me.

I also have all of my original collectors box items and will keep them until I kick the bucket someday.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually think I might enjoy the enhanced client on a classic server minus some small issues with some of the monster models, but just the thought of a classic relaunch box is awesome to me.

I also have all of my original collectors box items and will keep them until I kick the bucket someday.

I'd like to aruge and say Classic Client Only!! :gun: but I know people who use the EC really are attached to it.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Ignore the client vs client hype... It is irrelevant.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think we are pretty much to the point where it's hammered out, there are small things and personal things (like the server births! grrr) but really, how do we proceed from here?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Why doesn't some one put it all together in one post so people dont have to read through 1100 posts to try and figure it out!
Just saying kinda hard to disseminate the info!

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the thing is it could support both clients just like any other shard, I mean it doesn't effect me or you if someone else is viewing the world differently, at least not as far as I know.

If supporting the new client I know I would try it just for the clash of old/new school, with the old music as I pointed out that would rock man haha. :lol:

Why doesn't some one put it all together in one post so people dont have to read through 1100 posts to try and figure it out!
Pretty sure you just won the thread, I award you one internet, if this gets done can we ship it to the front of the thread?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

It's been done a few times...but the discussion continues. I know that I post on this thread, at least sometimes, just to keep it alive and on the first page of UHall.

I'd say a sticky thread with the info we have all came together on would be nice...but I am not sure if it would be allowed...:sad4:

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Also, if they did a Classic re-launch box, it would have to be the old school text book sized boxes PC games used to come in! Not these lame dvd cases you get with games now (like we are using Playstations or something rolleyes:)

S

SoulStealer A.O

He's right. We should have a thread that has the info we are talking about. Leave that one for discussing ideas and actual info relating to what the players on this forum want to see or think best fit a classic server and leave this one for the nonsense posts since there are 100's of them here already.

One more thing, what do you guys think of the RoT skill system that siege used? Could be a good way to get people "playing" more then macroing in their houses and would slow down skill gain/money ect. There are a lot of negitives to this system like players who start late being stuck behind the curve (for pvp) longer then they might of been without it.

I really don't remember how skill gain was back then but I know 99/2000 is when 7x gm's started to be a common thing. On some of these free shards, even the era accurate ones it's pretty easy to make characters.

I mean, if macroing is toned down somehow like super slow skill gains in houses that might be a good solution to the macro thing.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He's right. We should have a thread that has the info we are talking about. Leave that one for discussing ideas and actual info relating to what the players on this forum want to see or think best fit a classic server and leave this one for the nonsense posts since there are 100's of them here already.

I made a post yesterday asking for help from people to gather all the info and compile it together, maybe even arrange surveys for people to take to narrow it down even more, only one awesome person replied ;)

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We really do need a sticky for that kind of thing though, like post the list that we have agreed on as the OP in the new thread and let any new discussion be added there, at that point it's just about breaking down small details.

Best case scenario we have at least a few months before this becomes reality in any event, but I agree with Morgana that reposting here wouldn't help much.

Also, if they did a Classic re-launch box, it would have to be the old school text book sized boxes PC games used to come in! Not these lame dvd cases you get with games now (like we are using Playstations or something
This^

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm honestly to the point where I'm not sure what to say about this right now, I feel it's pretty much been figured out minus a couple details

L

Longest Journey

ALL KILL
50 dragons? Exaggerate much? The most, MOST, I ever saw a tamer control at once was 6 dragons, and even then, he had a hard time controling them all. 2 of the dragons listened, 3 went wild, and 1 ran off in some random direction. The 2 tamed dragons got attacked by the 3 wild ones and were killed, then the three wild turned their attention to the tamer and attacked him. The 3 wild Dragons got lured to town and killed by the guards.

No tamer ever controled 50 dragons at once. And if they did, it was bedlam trying to keep them all in line, if not impossible.

People seem to forget that tamed pets got harder to control the more you were trying to control at once.

Control slots were just another AOS nerf to hurt mages and tamers.

L

Longest Journey

I mostly remember tamers only running around with that many pets during SERVER WARS when nothing saved and if their pet would die or get lost they did not care. A tamer with a multitude of pets can be taken down if there are enough people with the skill and desire to do so. Just lead the dragons/drakes away from their master and he is vulnerable to being killed easily without his pets. Then start killing the dead tamers pets so that if and when he rezzes, he will have less overpowered pets to attack you with again. That is why tamers don't take out so many dragons at once except in server wars because they do not want to lose several high end pets at one time.

Additionally, the shard that I currently play on has the old stable rules where the STABLE MASTER that you stable a pet with is the only stable master that you can retrieve that stabled pet from. You cannot stable your pet in Skara Brae and try to claim that stabled pet in Delucia. Also what happens on the shard that I play on is that I frequently go to stable my pet and get the message, "the stables are full". This is annoying, but actually quite realistic in a sense instead of each person being able to stable limitless amounts of pets at the same stable.

Keep hope alive.
Very nicely said.

QFT.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Okay, someone in the new thread said something about making Dragons untamable. :thumbdown:

I'd be okay with that, if taming can be made so that it is GM'able in like 2 days just like all the other skills.

The end reward for MONTHS of taming was that you could tame and control dragons.

I would not play on a shard that didn't allow dragon taming.

But, I recognize that this is not going to 'the Morgana LeFay shard'...so if the majority of players want that, I would still support the shard...I just wouldn't play there.

L

Longest Journey

Okay, someone in the new thread said something about making Dragons untamable. :thumbdown:

I'd be okay with that, if taming can be made so that it is GM'able in like 2 days just like all the other skills.

The end reward for MONTHS of taming was that you could tame and control dragons.

But, I recognize that this is not going to 'the Morgana LeFay shard'...so if the majority of players want that, I would still support the shard...I just wouldn't play there.
Its going to be Second Age classic servers with The Second Age rules. One of those rules was, there were no control slots or pet bonding, whether people like it or not. Thats the way it was. If we want a server thats even remotely accurate, then being able to tame and control more than one dragon at once is what comes with it.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Something else to debate...

Bards.

Pub 16 changed taming, but it also changed bards (and lot of other things).

Bards were the most powerful PvMers before Pub 16. I have always thought that Pub 16 was too harsh of a nerf for bards.

Here are the details...

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=701

Really, I think our Classic Shard would just be better off WITHOUT Pub 16 in general.

L

Longest Journey

Something else to debate...

Bards.

Pub 16 changed taming, but it also changed bards (and lot of other things).

Bards were the most powerful PvMers before Pub 16. I have always thought that Pub 16 was too harsh of a nerf for bards.

Here are the details...

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=701

Really, I think our Classic Shard would just be better off WITHOUT Pub 16 in general.
Yeah, thats why people have been saying make the Classic Servers in The Second Age......way before pub 16....

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't recall many skills in T2A being gm'able in two days short of using bugs or exploits, at least some of the harder skills I recall to gm if playing legit once again were.

Magery
Taming
Blacksmithing
Carpentry
Bow Crafting
Parry (without trapped wisps)

I'm sure there were others but those are the ones that stick out in my memory the most.

Also I do remember that you only had so many stable slots but that only effects how many pets you can keep permanently, 50 was an exaggeration on my part but you get where I was going with it.

Yes we want T2A as the general time period, but considering the devs are pretty much going to have to build it from the foundation up there is some wiggle room for the sake of balance.

I don't recall anyone saying that it would be nazi strict in the sense that a shard like Second Age is, that isn't to say that there is anything wrong with their vision it's just that we already know some things will likely end up being different whether it's 100 percent accurate or not.

At the very least things like this are not at a final consensus and are up for debate. As long as people keep it respectful we can do this thing once and for all.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think most people would be for taming dragons, yes there was a few people who might of abused it, but a few people abused everything even today. I really don't see an issue with dragons, that's what tamers use. Kinda like saying a thief is overpowered and shouldn't be able to steal things... oh wait, they did that pretty much *sigh*

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pub 16 was one of the most dreaded updates, the less we have to do with it the more we are going back to our roots. unless most people agree on some of it, we are best to run away from that

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Yeah, thats why people have been saying make the Classic Servers in The Second Age......way before pub 16....
There are some things that most of the people here agree upon that were not present in T2A...bug fixes, harsher penalties for PKs (stat loss on death), stat/skill locks...so I think it is safe to assume that not everything will be exactly like that era. In fact, it might not be possible to make it EXACTLY like that era if they are working backward using existing code.

That's the primary reason we are all discussing this, instead of just saying we want a T2A shard exactly like it was back that.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's not like every update UO got was bad, so we will of course ASK (not demand) some changes. we all know that UO is playable and fun back then otherwise it would have died then. I'd be happy with an exact clone of ANY area pre-AOS to be honest.

L

Longest Journey

There are some things that most of the people here agree upon that were not present in T2A...bug fixes, harsher penalties for PKs (stat loss on death), stat/skill locks...so I think it is safe to assume that not everything will be exactly like that era. In fact, it might not be possible to make it EXACTLY like that era if they are working backward using existing code.

That's the primary reason we are all discussing this, instead of just saying we want a T2A shard exactly like it was back that.
Well, things like the stat/skill lock controls were needed back then due to campfire griefers. (Yes, those guys were greifers)

The stat loss was in T2A, but the on death thing would be more of an upgrade that was needed at the time.

The bug fixes, those are a given.

Bascially, what people want is T2A, only with the logical upgrades and fixes that did not hinder or drastically change gameplay. Thats all been pretty much ironed out with this:

The Second Age era w/ necessary bug and glitch fixes
-Britannia and the Lost Lands
-Stat loss and long term murder counts for reds (stat loss on death)
-T2A Item system (Vanq/Ruin magic weapons, Invul/hardening magic armor, magic wands staves, jewelery, boots, capes, etc.)
-T2A skill and stat caps (700.0 skill point pool, 225 stat point pool)
-T2A magic system
-Stat and skill controls (IE ability to set skills/stats to raise, lower and lock)
-Chaos and Order Guilds with proper fixes (lord/lady requisites removed)
-Guild Stones
-more Stackable items (IE Potions)
-**Crafting Upgrades (See below)
-T2A housing and rule sets

**Crafting upgrades are as follows:

-Tailors will be able to make bone armor as well as repair it along with leather armor

-Bow crafters will be able to repair bows

-Carpenters will be able to craft all staff weapons as well as clubs and repair them along with wooden shields

-potential addition of Ilshenar later on.

-no runic tools
-no BoDs
-no character transfers, to or from classic server(s)
-no ethereal mounts
-no power scrolls
-no AOS content, period
-No Trammel
-No Malas
-No Tokuno
-No Samurai Empire Content
-No Mondain's Legacy Content
-No Stygian Abyss Content
-NO ELVES
-No Gargoyles
-no control slots for tamers or mages
-No Pet bonding
-no repair contracts
-no bless deeds or blessed items
-no factions
-no custom housing
-no neon colors

All the developers need to do is go to Amazon.com, order a copy of The Second Age Strategy Guide and follow the list of upgrades and guidelines above and they will have a truly excellent format for Classic Servers.

K

Keep Hope Alive

One more thing, what do you guys think of the RoT skill system that siege used? Could be a good way to get people "playing" more then macroing in their houses and would slow down skill gain/money ect. There are a lot of negitives to this system like players who start late being stuck behind the curve (for pvp) longer then they might of been without it.
I personally think that ROT on Siege is a joke. It is one of the big reasons that I decided to quit playing Siege. It basically is a Guaranteed Gain System. Yes on one hand, it limits the amount of skill points that you can gain each day. On the other hand it GUARANTEES instant gains every 15 minutes or whatever the time limit is. You gain on fails at high levels and every 15 minutes on top of that. So you can GM every crafting skill with ease. Becoming a GM tamer is simple. What I loved about Classic UO from 1998-1999 was that there were few GM tamers or GM blacksmiths. That made things unique. I remember going for DAYS without even gaining 0.1 in taming. It was frustrating, but rewarding because you were set apart from those who did not put the time in to be at the skill level you were at.

Keep hope alive

U

Unsatisfied

Wow, my brother got married yesterday so I had to be away for a day... 160 odd posts later I've almost caught up on whats going on! Jesus you guys are quick :p

S

SoulStealer A.O

I don't believe you could bond tamed creatures in t2a nor do I think that should be put in. If you want to run around with Dragons, #1 they need to be hard to tame, #2 (pretty sure there was a cap on how many followers you had) #3 if there wasn't a cap I'm sure it wasnt possible to hold a lot of dragons and #4 you should have to play with the risk of losing your dragon.

Let's not forget an old school ruleset was a lot harsher then whatever the newer one seems to be. Need to keep it true to that.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't believe you could bond tamed creatures in t2a nor do I think that should be put in. If you want to run around with Dragons, #1 they need to be hard to tame, #2 (pretty sure there was a cap on how many followers you had) #3 if there wasn't a cap I'm sure it wasnt possible to hold a lot of dragons and #4 you should have to play with the risk of losing your dragon.

Let's not forget an old school ruleset was a lot harsher then whatever the newer one seems to be. Need to keep it true to that.

I agree, I've been looking up taming then vs now, and so far it seems like it was a case of a few rotten apples ruined it for the class... So far at least

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't see that many players will play on such a shard (maybe even less than on Siege), nor that the developers will really build another variation of UO for a minority.

I completely understand that some players are wishing back the old days of UO. But many of the changes of the past 10 years were really cool, and I never would want to miss those. All the new skills. New dungeons and quests. All the cool changes on old skills. Custom housing. All the crafting enhancements. Those are things 99% of the players really dig.

To build and maintain such a shard will be another pain in the back of a developer. Because I am convinced that such a shard will require maintaining, because players will constantly ask for updates, fixes, add-ons etc. It is an illusion to believe that you can build a shard and just let it run for years without touching it. And who wants to play on a shard where there are no changes and no updates anyway?

I am convinced that even fewer people than there are on Siege will play on a classic shard. I would rather play on Siege, and I don't even like Siege much.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem of UO today is the Trammel/Felucca split and what it caused to the community and to PvP. This issue should be solved on ALL shards. Building a classic shard with the described restrictions out of nostalgy is not the right way to go.

That being said, I still hope that the UO developers will one day come up with a solution to make PvP less item-based and more realistic.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really don't see that many players will play on such a shard (maybe even less than on Siege), nor that the developers will really build another variation of UO for a minority.

I completely understand that some players are wishing back the old days of UO. But many of the changes of the past 10 years were really cool, and I never would want to miss those. All the new skills. New dungeons and quests. All the cool changes on old skills. Custom housing. All the crafting enhancements. Those are things 99% of the players really dig.

To build and maintain such a shard will be another pain in the back of a developer. Because I am convinced that such a shard will require maintaining, because players will constantly ask for updates, fixes, add-ons etc. It is an illusion to believe that you can build a shard and just let it run for years without touching it. And who wants to play on a shard where there are no changes and no updates anyway?

I am convinced that even fewer people than there are on Siege will play on a classic shard. I would rather play on Siege, and I don't even like Siege much.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem of UO today is the Trammel/Felucca split and what it caused to the community and to PvP. This issue should be solved on ALL shards. Building a classic shard with the described restrictions out of nostalgy is not the right way to go.

That being said, I still hope that the UO developers will one day come up with a solution to make PvP less item-based and more realistic.

P.S.: While some people claim that the majority desires a classic shard, I can find no poll where people have been asked whether they would play on a classic shard with the suggested ruleset in a long term.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@hawkeye

First I'd like to just thank you, for posting this here, most people would have ignored it and kept replying to the other thread, plus here you will get many more responses.

Tram/Fel issues have stood since tram was born, and also was (to me) the first major step in shaping the UO we have today. Even on a classic shard I would not entirely be opposed to having a Tram, yes it did remove targets for PK's and such, but most "Trammies" still did a lot in fel, they just liked the security of being able to move items to their home and safe trading. However, with that being said, as time went on the divide became greater between trammies and Fel players. Now it's almost as if we are playing on two entirely different servers. I know it seems as if I contradicted myself, buy my hope would be anyone who opts into a Classic Server would not be there just to be the typical "trammy".

The item based PvP in my mind can only be answered in one of a few ways, and the biggest way is to remove the item based game. No AoS = no item based PvP. Other ways would include some sort of risk vs reward (more on that in a bit) like making insurance being paid by death of another player 20x what it is now so you maybe think twice about being an 'Arti-Machine", that I don't know, it's just speculation and guessing.

the two main reasons I want a Classic Server is first the reversal of the item based game, and second to bring back Risk Vs. Reward. I remember being on my thief thinking: "if I try and steal from this guy, do I feel lucky enough to outrun the guards?" but now it's pretty much made for me, if a guard shows up, I'm dead. a Better example is attacking someone in town, before you could get away with it and outrun the guards while fighting... sometimes. Now they show up and kill you. And with no item insurance, when you leave your house you run a risk, you can die and lose it all, so is the reward worth it? Not only does that make you think, but it adds the excitement back into the Game that I miss so much.

As for the raw number of people who would play, that's been debated a lot. And no one can point to a 100% sure answer, not even the naysayers. I looked at the amount of players on free shards (most of them being classic servers) and how many ex-UO players I know that actually got excited about the possible Classic Server. Will all of those players come back? I do not know, but I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt almost all of them are turned off of UO because of the AoS WoW clone. So in my mind, even if UO was exactly the same minus the item stats, people would come back.

I agree and see the maintaining of yet another server being the biggest hurdle we have to clear here, how much is really involved? I do not know, I only can guess that since many people run their own servers that the cost can not be that great. and a lot of us here have said we might be willing to pay a little more to have that. But until EA gives us a raw figure on the cost to maintain a server, we can only guess.

Sorry this is so long, and maybe I didn't even answer any of your questions. But this is just where I'm coming from.

I believe that we can't find a good balance in the game because of how much things have changed, I feel it's time to allow the choice to play the game as it is now, or the game I first played.

-Derium

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And who wants to play on a shard where there are no changes and no updates anyway?

sorry, I forgot that.

I'm sure there would be some changes and updates. Reason being is because we all had to decide on what updates most of us DID enjoy. So once new ones came out maybe we would band together and want that, who knows. for me the last 7 years of UO has been being a personal crafter and merchant. I don't hunt hardly ever, and I only do to test the new stuff, and I've yet to like it.

If we have a Classic Server that is ran like one, and time to time we have events like Trinny invasion (who doesn't have fond memories of that?) we would be happy with the content we had.

U

Unsatisfied

Like Delerium said thers no way to know 100% if it will be a sucess or not, were just talking from experience on things like player run shards, people we know who are excited and intend on returning to uo if a classic shard is made and things like this...

But for the past 10 years there has been updates that us, the classic shard wanting community didnt want... Resources have been spent in every way shape and form on things that really dont interest us. Why is it okay that it gets spent on all these updates but nothing is ever spent where we've been asking for 10 years for it to be spent? Whos choice is it really to say where they should or should not spend their resources? I think 10 years is a long enough wait to get something sent our way.

If this were the case there would be a seige ruleset free shard out there with a high population. But there isnt. All the high population free shards are classic rules one way or another either T2A or UO:R kinda rules without tram.
Tramel/fel split was bad... But people still played and subscriptions continued to increase, AoS is where things started going down hill. Item based playstyle... Theres enough clone games out there that rely on items, and most people that wanted to play this style went to them.

P.S.: While some people claim that the majority desires a classic shard, I can find no poll where people have been asked whether they would play on a classic shard with the suggested ruleset in a long term.
The poll is stickied at the top of the UHALL page.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think anyone is advocating no taming, I actually don't care if bonding is in but slots I think are really important, seems like a small tradeoff. I really like the idea of this Classic Era thing coming as a CD/Box/etc with the original treasure chest login and the mp3 versions of the original music as found here for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWjj-yua2Zg&feature=related just hearing it brings back memories wow.
Oh I remember stopping and just listening to the Vesper music, it was great. I loved the city just for that.

In the start of UO I had a Roland MIDI card, so the music was absolutely beautiful.

U

Unsatisfied

How can AOS be a WoW clone, when AOS is older than WoW?
I dont think anyones arguing which came first, the idea is just that they are all the same one game after the next relying on items above skill, something that wasnt a problem in classic UO.

Status
Not open for further replies.