• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Server down time update

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lori DeLeon

And MY point was that the team, the entire team, is being paid Five CENTS of your money for the entire three hour downtime, a rate which doesn't buy anyone the right to deride so mercilessly. I would be happy to hire anyone who will put up with such abuse for a mere five sense every three hours. Like I said, perspective. The only world that's ending right now is a virtual one, and that one will be back soon. Besides, we should never stop caring about how others feel; it forfeits our inherent right to complain about how we, ourselves, are treated and, really, undermines the premise of civilization.

I'm not judging anyone for how they pass their time. All I said was that, for me, its a blessing in disguise. UO is too easy to get sucked into. So devs, thanks for spending my five cents wisely.
I'm not "buying a right" to complain. I'm complaining about the service I'm paying for and Larissa was telling me to think about the feelings of the service provider rather than the service provider thinking about the feelings of the customers who pay for it.

You're just trying to use big words but you aren't saying anything that addresses the point I made. Why should I care how they feel having to work on Friday night when we are paying them to do it? If they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, of course I wouldn't complain. Does it matter HOW MUCH we're paying? Of course not.

W

Woodsman

Those who don't pass out after reading this thread can move on up to that forum, lol.
As much as I think Warhammer won't survive past Star Wars or the Warhammer 40k MMO (even if it's a different Warhammer setting than the Mythic Warhammer MMO), I do feel some sympathy for those who feel like EA is trying to kill off Warhammer.

Obviously they don't realize that Camelot and UO are getting the accounting upgrade, but still, I feel a bit sorry for them.

M

Muu Bin

And MY point was that the team, the entire team, is being paid Five CENTS of your money for the entire three hour downtime, a rate which doesn't buy anyone the right to deride so mercilessly. I would be happy to hire anyone who will put up with such abuse for a mere five sense every three hours. Like I said, perspective. The only world that's ending right now is a virtual one, and that one will be back soon. Besides, we should never stop caring about how others feel; it forfeits our inherent right to complain about how we, ourselves, are treated and, really, undermines the premise of civilization.

I'm not judging anyone for how they pass their time. All I said was that, for me, its a blessing in disguise. UO is too easy to get sucked into. So devs, thanks for spending my five cents wisely.
5 cents per paid account
how many paid accounts? (10, 20, 50k?)
how many on the team currently working on this? (2, 10, 25)?
for 3 hours you say?
now... calculate the equation...

don't forget... more people have 'worked' on this for more than just the 3 actual hours of "downtime".

i do agree with the premise of what you are getting at tho... it's just that i love math too much to let this one go... :D

P

PonceDeLeon123

Actually, this thread was intended to keep the pissed off masses updated on the downtime...

pot, meet kettle?
he actually can put a thought together! he may not be as drunk as I am. the thread is to keep us updated on how the patch is coming...Brilliant! If you want to split hairs, perhaps look at your cat. The fact remains, this downtime sucks, i am forced to listen to you suck ups trying to shove your nose up EA's ass, and it is actually quite sad you do not have the nuts to stand up and say it pisses you off....hmmm....i wonder why they continue to do it...sounds alot like our government admin today...

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the front page post is to keep players updated. This thread is from a link that says "comment on this"; so it's safe for readers to assume that we are supposed to COMMENT on this thread about the front page post which is about the update that hasn't been updated

You've not seen me take any action on any posts in this thread, hell I have even played along to some extent, by all means vent away, but don't expect that you have the only opinion on these boards concerning downtimes and when they happen.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
noone else wants pie? :(

:spider: curds and whey maybe? I think I spelled that wrong..but who cares!

Oh...for those of you who are....irate....to put it lightly...there is a small patch to be had...nothing up but TC1 again but...'tis progress at least.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who the hell cares if Larissa likes pie, this thread is about pissed off players who pay good money to play a game. Are you all friggin liberals too? lets all put our head in the sand and pretend this is not happening...

again...i see crazy people:coco:
Christ, cool it already. I think a hell of a lot more people care about Larissa and others liking pie than you crying over every little thing that you don't like. Oh damn. I'm flaming, that means I have to take a shot.

:shots:

L

Lori DeLeon

You've not seen me take any action on any posts in this thread, hell I have even played along to some extent, by all means vent away, but don't expect that you have the only opinion on these boards concerning downtimes and when they happen.
Am I telling people they should be annoyed like I am? NO
It annoys me and it's more than just a little odd that some of you behave as if we're killing puppies by expressing our frustration with this situation. It's as if you own the company and your goal is to prevent anyone from having a negative opinion about it.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
noone else wants pie? :(

:spider: curds and whey maybe? I think I spelled that wrong..but who cares!

Oh...for those of you who are....irate....to put it lightly...there is a small patch to be had...nothing up but TC1 again but...'tis progress at least.
I do! Only if the cake is all gone though. Although I heard the cake is a lie...but I remain hopeful.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Awww Viper you're so sweet!

you really love me!!! :bowdown:

And who the heck doesn't like pie??

Wait...let me guess....:coco:

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I like pie! Pancakes, and Bacon. hmmmm mebbe I should cook while waiting. Dinner at dirtys house!

DOM

W

Woodsman

some of you behave as if we're killing puppies by expressing our frustration with this situation.
Have we confirmed whether or not killing puppies would in fact help the situation?
It's as if you own the company and your goal is to prevent anyone from having a negative opinion about it.
It's more like some of us are happy/satisfied that they are finally owning up to the fact that the old billing system sucked ass and they are finally fixing it.

Although this Camelot Facebook post:
Does this mean people are about to be billed $3000 for one month subscription again?
Makes me wonder if the Camelot players had as crappy of a billing system as we did. I never had problems with billing for Camelot, but I don't think I ever had more than one account active there.

At least the Camelot players aren't taking it as a sign that EA wants to kill Camelot, unlike some of the Warhammer players :lol: :(

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WTH :( BRING THE SERVERS BACK UP FFS

It's my weekend off and I can't play UO! Any idea when they shards are going to be back online?

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooo, you're reply to me wondering how much drama the WoW players would be demonstrating if their servers went down and stayed down like UO today is....that they wouldn't be down. Wow, not a very useful reply, lol.
I promise it made alot more sense at the time or at least I meant it to. In my head it made perfect sense, but that was so long ago I cannot possibly continue to argue about it. Its been, dissected way to much and blah. So, cheers.

L

Lori DeLeon

Have we confirmed whether or not killing puppies would in fact help the situation?
It's more like some of us are happy/satisfied that they are finally owning up to the fact that the old billing system sucked ass and they are finally fixing it.

Although this Camelot Facebook post:
Makes me wonder if the Camelot players had as crappy of a billing system as we did. I never had problems with billing for Camelot, but I don't think I ever had more than one account active there.

At least the Camelot players aren't taking it as a sign that EA wants to kill Camelot, unlike some of the Warhammer players :lol:
I guess I've been lucky. I haven't had any billing issues ever and I've been playing on and off again since 1998. I'm glad they are fixing that problem and I'm glad that houses of inactives will finally fall too. I just think they need to be much better at letting customers know when they are going to do things like this. We didn't get much warning about the time and then they kept changing it.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Re: WTH :( BRING THE SERVERS BACK UP FFS

The people working on the servers have no clue in all likelihood.

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Didn't you hear? This is how they are putting an end to the game.. Bennigans style. :)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I promise it made alot more sense at the time or at least I meant it to. In my head it made perfect sense, but that was so long ago I cannot possibly continue to argue about it. Its been, dissected way to much and blah. So, cheers.
Cheers indeed! Time for pie and drinks!

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I happen to think pie is swell too, but would rather know all is well in the world of UO. I think that's the thing that annoys me most is the day they picked. Anybody remember the last big thing that landed on a weekend? that's right I won a magincia house that I couldn't place and had to wait days to find out what was going on.

I just want to see my chars happy faces and see that my houses are all where I left them. Not saying I expect the worst...this could go awesomely smooth but i need to see it to believe it :D

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I propose lets play another game... Guess who is Paid By EA.

There are devs.
There are GMs.
There are EMs, 30-40 I am guessing. All paid by EA.
Where is Kai our community manager who started in Feb?
There may also be Astroturfers.

:D

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'll toss my 2 constructive cents in on this one. Based on my past experience with large corporations, management, and gamers.....

my guess, is the devs/admins were told to do it now, or through some unforseen turn of events ended up doing it now. On the computer science end of things, I've had barely enough training to understand the possibility for snafu in a project like they are doing is huge.

either way, sometimes things just happen, or you are told to do them. And unless you are independently wealthy, or it happens to be your name on the bottom of the check, you do them. I've at least seen a few of the folks in the videos on you tube (town halls ?), I am a fairly good judge of character...

I just don't see anyone that has chosen their line of work to make a living, downing servers at 9pm because they wanted to. If I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet they ended up doing it now, because they had to, or the consequences of not going forward were worse. Moving around databases, restarting authentication, gods forbid your tossing in new hardware anywhere, and, well, theres ALOT of stuff going on.

For full disclosure, I have only had 1 C++ class, but our professors liked to get chatty and I listened well.

Venting is cool, allowed, and encouraged, here : UO Spiels N Rants - Stratics Forums

DOM

L

Lori DeLeon

I propose lets play another game... Guess who is Paid By EA.

There are devs.
There are GMs.
There are EMs, 30-40 I am guessing. All paid by EA.
There may also be Astroturfers.

:D
Is there another UO forum without these astroturfers? If so, please post it.

M

molinaro

Who the hell cares if Larissa likes pie, this thread is about pissed off players who pay good money to play a game. Are you all friggin liberals too? lets all put our head in the sand and pretend this is not happening...

again...i see crazy people:coco:
LOL Wut? Liberals? That's some big time crazy to try and twist anything in this thread over to politics.

And just to be clear about what is happening.. the game is being updated. That's all. And yet some people can't deal with such a simple thing as that.

W

Woodsman

I'm glad they are fixing that problem and I'm glad that houses of inactives will finally fall too.
If the inactive houses fall, oh god :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I just think they need to be much better at letting customers know when they are going to do things like this. We didn't get much warning about the time and then they kept changing it.
One thing I do wonder about is why move all three MMOs over to the new system at the same time?

Warhammer was the newest and mostly likely, the most compatible or easiest. It should have been moved first. The next week, Camelot, and then UO.

All three games are down, and problems with one could be hampering the other two. The only logical explanation is that they were concerned about people who subscribe to more than one, but they could have suspended billing during those two-three weeks for all three games.

It's not like Star Wars is coming out in a few weeks and they are in a rush to clean up the leftover Mythic MMOs and get them in the new system before Star Wars brings it to its knees.

K

Kiminality

LMAO. Like I said before, lets play Guess Who is Paid by EA.
If EA are't willing to pay for decent community cover for UO, what in the name of all that makes even a tiny bit of sense makes you think they'd pay people to speak nice about them on the forums?

Although, it's good to see the good old astroturfing BS getting a bit of air instead of your usuall NetDragon cheerleading.

W

Woodsman

Didn't you hear? This is how they are putting an end to the game.. Bennigans style. :)
You laugh, but there are some Warhammer Online players who are convinced that tonight's downtime is a sign of EA wanting to get rid of them:

BioWare Social Network | HOW LONG AGAIN ?? EA YOU MAKE JOKE ????? YOU MAKE AGAIN

I'm not into conspiracy theories... but man everything EA does in regards to this game seems like a parent trying to kill an unwanted child...

enderz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Servers up yet?

Want to reactivate account but mythics acc management site is still down.

Can't hold on much longer, getting :sleep2:

W

Woodsman

I found him in one of the Warhammer threads complaining about the downtime. You know, the official Warhammer forums, because BioWare has official forums for all of their MMOs like Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Dark Age of Camelot, and Ultima Online.

Except I'm not quite sure where the Camelot and UO forums are in those BioWare forums. They gotta be there somewhere, because BioWare even has forums for their old DOS games, and they have a bunch of forums and moderators for Warhammer, and since Warhammer came out of Mythic and Camelot and UO were under Mythic, it stands to reason they are there somewhere.

Anyways, one of the threads complaining about the downtime:

BioWare Social Network | Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning » Gameplay » General Discussion » Customer Service

Eight hours ago, he posted this:
From what I read out of the emails (I am currently in Germany), the maintenance will take another 4 hours. I've asked my collegues to update the news.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am highly offended that you think I have anything to do with fake grass! :coco:

>IF< I were...as you and I suppose other..."left-winged" individuals" call it...{Laying down the grass} I would be alot nicer...

SINCE, on the other hand, I am NOT being /NICE/ nor am I being a :cheerleader:...rather just stating the >obvious< that no matter what is said....is being said or is NOT being said and/or THOUGHT...

What is is what is...Life is like a box of Chocolates....

YOU chose to pick the ones with the nasty fillings...I go for the creamy nugat...

'tis to each his own perception of a certain said situation

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am highly offended that you think I have anything to do with fake grass! :coco:

>IF< I were...as you and I suppose other..."left-winged" individuals" call it...{Laying down the grass} I would be alot nicer...

SINCE, on the other hand, I am NOT being /NICE/ nor am I being a :cheerleader:...rather just stating the >obvious< that no matter what is said....is being said or is NOT being said and/or THOUGHT...

YOU chose to pick the ones with the nasty fillings...I go for the creamy nugat...

This is obviously a coded message.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Hey! HEY! HEYA!!!

SO !
THAT'S where my stash of Punctuation has been bleeding off to ...

:lol:
*sniffs*
*shakes head sharply*

Well ... *pouts*

At least you used it properly ...

And you ARE the BlackRock Larisa ...
mmmmmmmgmgmgmgmgghhhh *wobbles head*

humph!

*looks over glasses*

got any apple pie left? *groucho's eyebrows*
slice of sharp cheddar?

thank you

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
got msg of server down today 4 pm went out etc. all day and night.

came home cant log in go to uo.com

see time changes from 4 to 5 to 6 then 9, im like wtf?

130 am and still no service?

i dont care but if it were us they make us pay for something to play, but when we are down you dont see us getting credited for time down.

w/e system needs revamped do it at midnight on sunday night then, not friday primetime for every north american server in UO. bad business.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
*raises brows* Sharp chedder...thin or thick sliced?

*hands Fayled a cooled plate topped with piping hot pie with requested cheese*

:bowdown: I am, after all...the apprentice...

*eyes glow red momentarily* :love:

S

sayler04

I'm not "buying a right" to complain. I'm complaining about the service I'm paying for and Larissa was telling me to think about the feelings of the service provider rather than the service provider thinking about the feelings of the customers who pay for it.

You're just trying to use big words but you aren't saying anything that addresses the point I made. Why should I care how they feel having to work on Friday night when we are paying them to do it? If they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, of course I wouldn't complain. Does it matter HOW MUCH we're paying? Of course not.
Sweet, double quote!

okay, so first, last sentence of my first paragraph explained why you should care, but i'll simplify it for you: There are two ways to make someone care what you have to say or what you feel. one is to care about what they have to say or what they feel, at least enough to be polite about it. The other is to pay money, and anyone who has worked in a tipped job, which is always a service no more or less than UO, knows that five cents buys exactly enough sympathy to not aim for your eye when the nickel gets thrown back at you. So I guess my point, my response, is that if youre paying five cents AND being rude and vile, the devs arent really going to care what you have to say. And if youre REALLY rude and vile, they'll probably just think you're nuts.

To put it even more simply: On sunday night when the servers have been down all weekend, flame on. Until then, suck it up.

And be careful with "big word" cheap shots; they say less about the use of the words than they do about the person who took the shot.

S

sayler04

5 cents per paid account
how many paid accounts? (10, 20, 50k?)
how many on the team currently working on this? (2, 10, 25)?
for 3 hours you say?
now... calculate the equation...

don't forget... more people have 'worked' on this for more than just the 3 actual hours of "downtime".

i do agree with the premise of what you are getting at tho... it's just that i love math too much to let this one go... :D
Lol, math has never been my strong suit. So UO is really shooting themselves in the foot fixing the accounting dept with my accounts; they could have charged me hundreds a month and I wouldn't have noticed!

Granted, those nickels add up, but I was only talking about the five cents that the particular complainant was losing; I said something like 5 cents of YOUR money or some such. Multiply that out against the number of people actually complaining on the boards, at least the UO people, and maybe you'll get 8 bucks, generously. Your point even better illustrates how absurd all this quacking about the evil devs really is; how many paying customers are furious, and how many thousands more couldn't care less?

F

Fayled Dhreams

*raises brows* Sharp chedder...thin or thick sliced?

*hands Fayled a cooled plate topped with piping hot pie with requested cheese*

:bowdown: I am, after all...the apprentice...

*eyes glow red momentarily* :love:
MMmmmm
good pie ...
*sips*

so ... whats got the locals all stirred up?
Pirates?
*sips*
Murder? ....

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like cheese..

No..I >REALLY< like cheese.. Just sayin. Pie is nice :pie:, but I love me some cheese

mmmm and a little vino.

It's official I'm really bored

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
MMmmmm
good pie ...
*sips*

Pirates?
*sips*
Murder? ....
*titters lightly* You'd think it would be as...drastic..wouldn't you?

*leans in close and whispers softly* The servers are still down...it's causing mass hysteria.

*straightens up and smiles, sipping lightly on her beverage* On the other hand I am rather enjoying the company now *eyes glow as she fondles the sacred black leather pouch that hangs like a contsant around her slender waist* 'tis been very...entertaining.

M

Muu Bin

MMmmmm
good pie ...
*sips*

Pirates?
*sips*
Murder? ....
"Audrey," Agent Cooper said with a sly smile, "I could eat your pie all day long. In fact I'll have a third helping if you don't mind."

G

Gowron

For the last time, its one freaking night. Get a life !! Can someone lock this stupid thread already.
Perhaps you should get a life, Gunga. If this thread is that inconsequential to you, then by all means move on to something else. It's just one thread.

By the way Galen, I'm with you. Friday night during one of the peak play periods is a crappy time to do something like this. Then again, I wasn't part of the board meeting that led to this decision. I would say that I've experienced several times that when I think something is jacked up, it's usually because I wasn't privvy to the constraints and restraints that led to it.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Granted, those nickels add up, but I was only talking about the five cents that the particular complainant was losing; I said something like 5 cents of YOUR money or some such. Multiply that out against the number of people actually complaining on the boards, at least the UO people, and maybe you'll get 8 bucks, generously.

Though to be even more accurate, its not about the 5 cents of the one persons money or even the ones complaining. Its EVERYONE'S 5 cents that they are getting paid right now,not just the ppl complaining. Multiply that by the number of accounts they have... etc.

Now, I know you mentioned not being good at math and really neither am I, but I believe that particular 5 cent model was created on a 2-3 hour scale? Its going to be going on 7 hours here in 30 mins. :).

Charin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What the yes men are ignoreing. First no one said it wasnt needed .. get that though out of your head... we all admit it needed done. Second it was the timing everyone is gripeing about.. FRIDAY NIGHT... peak playing time... They could have done it monday - thursday with a fraction of the complaining.... NOOOOO their think tank decided.. ehh peak playtime.. lets do it then. Then once they take it down.. lets not give them any updates.... Thats what everyone is complaining about. It was only supposed to take a couple hours.... I remember a similar incdent.. back when AOS was released....48 hours later.. back up.. then restart/revert.. restart/revert.... Remember thats why they gave us the aos roses and cloathing.. that says "I survived AOS"....... A update would go a long way to quell alot of peoples anger and not feel ignored... and some forthough of the dev team would go even farther.. do things like this during NONPEAK TIME.:loser:

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
over 7 hours now... when this was supposed to be done.... yesterday. So very bored...

Edit: by yesterday I was referring to Thursday, even though it's technically Saturday now.... I'm sure u guys know what I mean.

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
over 7 hours now... when this was supposed to be done.... yesterday. So very bored...

Edit: by yesterday I was referring to Thursday, even though it's technically Saturday now.... I'm sure u guys know what I mean.
Yes, they could have put in Clean Up on Test so atleast we could have something to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.