• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Server down time update

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is the most we've been updated on what's going on. As they know and have to make adjustments they have been expressing it.

Account migration is not something you are going to put on hold just so players can play on a Friday night. It's frustrating yes, but I can imagine we're not even feeling half the frustration they are in trying to get this right.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sad that this is the response when someone criticizes a bad business decision.

*shrugs*

Oh well.

-Galen's player
I wasn't talking about you. I'm talking about the poor timing of something that could have been completed on a less populated day.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just remember that you can't please them all.

If we do it on YOUR time then someone else will complain..do it on THEIR time and yet someone ELSE will complain.

Nothing is perfect, nothing is easy, nothing goes as planned.

complain away...bang your head on the wall, curse the powers that be for doing it on YOUR time.....all within your right as a human being to do.

:yell:

Now I am going to get up off this char and go do that mundane thing called life....it IS out there ;)

:grouphug:
Sad to see how my remarks are being taken. Surely my remarks must mean that I have no life and I am merely complaining about this being done on "my time."

Sad but not surprising, if I'd thought about it. (Which I didn't.)

For clarification. This has nothing to do with it being done on my time. (Whether or not it's even true that I was intending on playing is really none of your business at all.)

It has to do with the fact that the servers are down at a very bad time: 9pm East Coast, 6pm West Coast. Most of the US population is home from work and would probably want to do whatever it is they do for leisure.

Oh, not to mention that this is happening 7 hours late after 2 or 3 delays.

Anyone else had complained many of the same people ridiculing me would be cheering.

*shrugs*

Oh well. The price of calling it how I see it rather than according to pre-determined, predictable patterns.

-Galen's player

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this drama....wow. I fear how much drama one will see when a downtime like this happens on WoW, lol.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Holy hell is this really happening? This is pathetic, devs.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the most we've been updated on what's going on. As they know and have to make adjustments they have been expressing it.
Yeah I guess they are finally KINDA telling us gametime codes may work again? They haven't sold them in months without any reasoning. Kinda sounds like the starving person should be thankful for the crumbs they do get.

All this drama....wow. I fear how much drama one will see when a downtime like this happens on WoW, lol.
WoW has a server downtime every week. Always on Tuesday around noon (I.e no mans land). UO could take a page from WoW's day planner.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here I am after a month or so break and I cant even restart my account. I guess maybe its time to take another month off!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

WoW has a server downtime every week. Always on Tuesday around noon (I.e no mans land). UO could take a page from WoW's day planner.
Good to know...not really...but thanks. I was talking about what is going on at this moment with UO. You know, long downtime in the early evening when people usually play.

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO absolutely 100% NO!
I dealt with WoW's tuesday downtime for 5 years. I hated it. I prefer UO's style.
A usual of 30 minutes of downtime during the slowest time of of day every day and then the occasional extended downtime whenever theres a major update. I don't care what day or what time it takes place as long as they don't start a weekly 6+ hour downtime.

Oh yeah... do we get "I survived account migration" items in game? lol

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And not having a warning on the log in window is the huge FAIL. Got the 5 minute warning 2 lines in the journal after my death. Use the fricking log in window with a big flashing warning for arse humping actions like server downs. Sure with past actions the server down update will be on the log in window in a few days.

D

DenAlton036

9pm Eastern time on a Friday.

****ing seriously?

-Galen's player
When I read the update this is the first thing I thought also. True not everyone can be happyand the updates are long over due, but there is this thing in the US called prime time.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Account migration is not something you are going to put on hold just so players can play on a Friday night. It's frustrating yes, but I can imagine we're not even feeling half the frustration they are in trying to get this right.
:scholar: I beg to differ ...

Emergency Services, are what cannot be put on hold (Okay! >should not< ... 911 hold please ...)

and while it is >doubtful< That UO "personnel" came up with the "idea" or are actually involved any more than posting a "not yet" update ...
Which, granted, they are handeling better than recent memory can recall ...

"The next level Up" in the corporate foodchain ... SHOULD be aware of "best practices"
Schedule practice plan and rehearse, to TARGET the least disruptive TIME to do a thing
which in a normal approximation, usually works out to the Beginning of a week, when the staff is "fresher"
Not worn out from riding the clock and likely looking forward to THEIR "time off"
which in a normal approximation, usually works out to be the End of a work week
AFTER a major time and a half, double time Holiday weekend
Not before, when they're counting down the minutes to "vacation"

*shrugs*

fine ... I will give the UO Team ... a pass, not an excuse, JUST a pass ...

If recent memory serves correctly ..

"Twas >marketing< that held up the video ...

Thank you for the opportunity to "differ" ... :danceb:

G

Gunga_Din

For the last time, its one freaking night. Get a life !! Can someone lock this stupid thread already.

W

Woodsman

Last minute.... 4 times? rofl.... I'm going to take a screenshot of that scratch off that is UO Herald.
It's not about just UO. EA's Origin.com group is transitioning the others. Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online are getting their account services upgraded as well.

Dark Age of Camelot | Account Center Maintenance - 8/10
Update: The Account Center will be down until approximately 12:00am EDT August 13th. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Greetings!

The Account Center will be down starting 11:30pm EDT tonight, Wednesday the 10th of August and remain down until 4:10pm EDT Friday the 12th of August for extended essential maintenance. If you have purchased gametime in the last few days please do not make an attempt to apply them until the account center is back up. This will not affect you getting into the game to play.

Thank you for your patience.
Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Herald Account Center Maintenance - 8/10
Update: The Account Center will be down until approximately 12:00am EDT August 13th. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Greetings!

The Account Center will be down starting 11:30pm EDT tonight, Wednesday the 10th of August and remain down until 4:10pm EDT Friday the 12th of August for extended essential maintenance. If you have purchased gametime in the last few days please do not make an attempt to apply them until the account center is back up. This will not affect you getting into the game to play.

Thank you for your patience.
The problem is that UO has an older database and they have some other things that are unique to UO and given that it's Origin.com web devs and not UO's team doing this transition, they are probably having to deal with things they've never dealt with or they are being really careful so they don't have to do it again. Given that UO's database is 15 years old or thereabouts, it's probably the toughest migration out of the three MMOs. Warhammer was probably very easy since it was less than three years old.

The Warhammer and Camelot players are probably cursing UO right about now if UO is holding things up for them :lol:

L

Lori DeLeon

If we do it on YOUR time then someone else will complain..do it on THEIR time and yet someone ELSE will complain.

Nothing is perfect, nothing is easy, nothing goes as planned.

complain away...bang your head on the wall, curse the powers that be for doing it on YOUR time.....all within your right as a human being to do.

:yell:

Now I am going to get up off this char and go do that mundane thing called life....it IS out there ;)

Larissa, Friday night is PRIME TIME. It's the time when you see activity HIGH on Atlantic shard(the most active shard); so it's not a matter of complaining about MY time. It's PRIME FREAKING TIME in UO

W

Woodsman

When I read the update this is the first thing I thought also. True not everyone can be happyand the updates are long over due, but there is this thing in the US called prime time.
Actually, since they are working on all three MMOs at the same time, and given that there are probably a lot of European Camelot, Warhammer, and UO players, and that a major part of the UO population is in Japan, American players might be in the minority or close to it if you were to look at all three as a whole.

The original scheduled time seemed like it was taking European and Japanese players into account - late night in Europe, early morning in Japan.

M

Muu Bin

Well... we had intended a send-off party for our original EM who is leaving us (Pacific). With this continual delay, delay, delay... the party has been canceled and will not be rescheduled. EA... you owe a huge apology to EM Cyno Razik on Pacific for taking this away from him. Not impressed... :loser:

And before anyone flames me, I do recognize that the account migration is more than being about a few individuals and that yes... unforseen things do happen... but the EMs are volunteers and this isn't really any way to treat them. Craptastic if you ask me.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well... we had intended a send-off party for our original EM who is leaving us (Pacific). With this continual delay, delay, delay... the party has been canceled and will not be rescheduled. EA... you owe a huge apology to EM Cyno Razik on Pacific for taking this away from him. Not impressed... :loser:

And before anyone flames me, I do recognize that the account migration is more than being about a few individuals and that yes... unforseen things do happen... but the EMs are volunteers and this isn't really any way to treat them. Craptastic if you ask me.
Agree 100%

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Somehow, I don't think that they were sat in their board room, twirling their handlebar moustaches, plotting and scheming how best to ruin as many peoples' days as possible with this downtime.
Clearly there were complications, and they took it down when they could; likely when they were sure it would best go down without a hitch (which, when it involve account management, is more important than your average downtime).
Perhaps they should have pushed it back until Monday, but there appears to have been a good reason why they didn't or they wouldn't be doing it at 9pm when they could be "getting down" (it is Friday, after all).
I don't think the devs set the timetable, they just have to try and keep it.

Besides.
At the original time, it was the European prime time.
At this time it's US prime time.
As Larisa said, whenever they do it, they're buggering up some continent's evening of UO. The wheel does usually fall on Europe.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

He was there at the fair grounds with a bunch of people for hours until the server went down. It was mentioned a lot in general chat.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This, I agree with, mostly.
Cyno Razik was awesome, and it's really sad that this happened at the same time as his farewell.

L

Lori DeLeon

and there is nothing wrong with spending hours out of your life on a game that you pay for every month. My husband and I plan our game time and look forward to it. I don't appreciate your insinuation that because we are annoyed with this situation we have no life. If you don't mind that this is being done during prime time in UO, fine; but you have no business judging the reaction of other people to this complete disregard for UO's paying customers.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and there is nothing wrong with spending hours out of your life on a game that you pay for every month. My husband and I plan our game time and look forward to it. I don't appreciate your insinuation that because we are annoyed with this situation we have no life. If you don't mind that this is being done during prime time in UO, fine; but you have no business judging the reaction of other people to this complete disregard for UO's paying customers.

How many 'Prime Time's do you think there are?

Just an observation :)

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm not insinuating anything...

Has ANYONE stopped to think about the people actually working on this right now?

Do you think THEY have better things to do on a Friday night other then work on OUR game?

Put yourselves in THEIR shoes...they can read this thread and say forget you guys you ungrateful little twerps, we're trying our best but all you can do is complain, you can wait we're goin out!

It's FRIDAY....the people actually DOING all this acct migration, going through EVERY SINGLE PERSONS information, billing, accts, acct ages...would YOU want to be doing that? Do YOU think that's how they planned spending their friday night??

I don't think so....so seriously people cut some slack..not everyone is gonna be happy, sure alot of people are upset. Heck I couldn't get my SA upgrade until the DAY acct management went down, I've been biting my nails ever since, sure I'm not happy but it's gotta be done..do it on Monday and you'll get ZOMG MONDAY IS MY ONLY DAY OFF WHY MONDAY??

So we all just gotta deal.....venting here on the forums is great, but relax a bit and think about everything and every ONE that's involved, not just US players, you know?

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No doubt!!

9PM on a Friday night!! Really?

Oh and:

Logins

When the game comes back online, the Return to Britannia program will be disabled. If you have trouble getting into the game please contact Customer Support.

THEY ARE CLOSED

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:drama:

While I agree that this was a poor choice to do this at primetime on a friday, the drama being generated is a bit much...

Just think, back in 1997-2000, publishes ate up hours of prime play. Then, there was an excellent chance of repeated shard crashings and an eventual multi-day revert...or two. This, of course, was in addition to the ever-present crippling lag.

In 2011, we have it easy by comparison. Chill.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Has ANYONE stopped to think about the people actually working on this right now?

Do you think THEY have better things to do on a Friday night other then work on OUR game?

Sad thing is they are probably doing like every other company out there and outsourcing it to some area that will answer the phone "I am thanking you for calling customer service." SO, it's probably day time there.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to know...not really...but thanks. I was talking about what is going on at this moment with UO. You know, long downtime in the early evening when people usually play.
I am confused by what you think 'I' was talking about.

NO absolutely 100% NO!
I dealt with WoW's tuesday downtime for 5 years. I hated it. I prefer UO's style.
A usual of 30 minutes of downtime during the slowest time of of day every day and then the occasional extended downtime whenever theres a major update. I don't care what day or what time it takes place as long as they don't start a weekly 6+ hour downtime.
I said they should've done THIS thing, this event on a Tuesday around noon. I didn't say they should go down every week for hours.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Put yourselves in THEIR shoes...they can read this thread and say forget you guys you ungrateful little twerps, we're trying our best but all you can do is complain, you can wait we're goin out!

It's FRIDAY....the people actually DOING all this acct migration, going through EVERY SINGLE PERSONS information, billing, accts, acct ages...would YOU want to be doing that? Do YOU think that's how they planned spending their friday night??

I don't think so....so seriously people cut some slack..not everyone is gonna be happy, sure alot of people are upset. Heck I couldn't get my SA upgrade until the DAY acct management went down, I've been biting my nails ever since, sure I'm not happy but it's gotta be done..do it on Monday and you'll get ZOMG MONDAY IS MY ONLY DAY OFF WHY MONDAY??

So we all just gotta deal.....venting here on the forums is great, but relax a bit and think about everything and every ONE that's involved, not just US players, you know?
Well first off this is their job. If they don't like it they can find another.

Second this could have been handled in a better manner. How about sending an email to every account warning them of what is about to happen.

Third, if I understand correctly, I have to contact support to be able to log in again? Is this correct? If so this is the stupidest thing i've ever seen. considering there is no phone support this late on a Friday.

Online support cant seem to find my account... Go figure.

Fourth, I've been paying to play this game for 14 years with 6 accounts, so yes I deserve to be impatient. It is people like me who keep them employed.

L

Lori DeLeon

Think how THEY feel? Are you serious? They are getting PAID by US. Do you own stock in the company or what? Why are you such a cheerleader for them? Sorry to single you out Larissa but you have annoyed me for years and this thread to respond to the so called "updates" is being commented on by PAYING CUSTOMERS about the service provided by people getting PAID to do it.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am confused by what you think 'I' was talking about.
My point was that it would be interesting to see all the drama from the WoW players if a downtime like this happened for them. Then you just started talking about their weekly downtime on Tuesdays at noon. Didn't really seem relevant since I was talking about the downtime for UO today, which is by no means normal. And obviously a high time for players.

W

Woodsman

:drama:

While I agree that this was a poor choice to do this at primetime on a friday, the drama being generated is a bit much...

Just think, back in 1997-2000, publishes ate up hours of prime play. Then, there was an excellent chance of repeated shard crashings and an eventual multi-day revert...or two. This, of course, was in addition to the ever-present crippling lag.

In 2011, we have it easy by comparison. Chill.
Agreed. Playing on LS during that time, I learned to memorize the lyrics of the 'Time Warp' song.

L

Lori DeLeon

How many 'Prime Time's do you think there are?

Just an observation :)
I'm sure there are many but Friday night at 9pm is certainly amongst them. If you don't think something like this could have been done at a less inconvient time for their customers, fine; but I DO

W

Woodsman

Sad thing is they are probably doing like every other company out there and outsourcing it to some area that will answer the phone "I am thanking you for calling customer service." SO, it's probably day time there.
They might not be outsourcing all of their Origin.com stuff. I would say they probably aren't outsourcing their accounting database operations since this is the system that drives all of their online ventures, including eventually the Star Wars MMO. They can afford to be cheap and hire Indians, or now Irish, to handle customer service, but this, they can't afford to be cheap on, otherwise they lose serious money.

And I think the Origin.com crew is based out of the West Coast, so it's only like 8:15pm there.

Has anybody tried logging into their Camelot or Warhammer accounts tonight? They are also being migrated today. I canceled my Camelot account a few months ago, and uninstalled it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Think how THEY feel? Are you serious? They are getting PAID by US. Do you own stock in the company or what? Why are you such a cheerleader for them? Sorry to single you out Larissa but you have annoyed me for years and this thread to respond to the so called "updates" is being commented on by PAYING CUSTOMERS about the service provided by people getting PAID to do it.
:cheerleader: Was wondering when I'd have to whip out these bad boys again :)

Sorry that I have annoyed you for years...sorry that I am trying to be postive, sorry that I am trying to bring some CHILL PILL to the room here..I PAY...as well...and yeah I'm annoyed but it is what it is...complaining ain't gonna get ya anywhere ;)

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm so glad that we are paying them to get it right :)

This is after all my account information that I built over the last 9yrs. Heck take all weekend if you need to get my 9yr account information correct so that by next week this will all be a distant memory of "remember when we couldn't log in on a Friday night?"

*wipes brow*

I need a fruity song to distract me :D

W

Woodsman

I'm sure there are many but Friday night at 9pm is certainly amongst them. If you don't think something like this could have been done at a less inconvient time for their customers, fine; but I DO
If half of UO players are Japanese , and when you add European players to that number, then it means they are doing this when it is most convenient for the largest number of UO players, or at least it was originally scheduled for that at 4pm EST this afternoon.

Americans probably make up less than half of UO players, and somebody is going to have to get their toes stepped upon, so might as well be less than half the UO players.

Then again, Camelot and Warhammer are getting migrated and who knows where the majority of players for those games are located.

It may just be convenient for the Origin.com developers.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:cheerleader: Was wondering when I'd have to whip out these bad boys again :)

Sorry that I have annoyed you for years...sorry that I am trying to be postive, sorry that I am trying to bring some CHILL PILL to the room here..I PAY...as well...and yeah I'm annoyed but it is what it is...complaining ain't gonna get ya anywhere ;)
No, don't apologize. You have nothing to feel sorry for. It's nice to see some people here who know how to relax and not take this game so seriously. I know I look forward to when they have everything upgraded. The work they are doing on this game right now really needed.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And we certainly are very appreciative or your visit on these forums. That is what they are for, after all. :)

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My point was that it would be interesting to see all the drama from the WoW players if a downtime like this happened for them. Then you just started talking about their weekly downtime on Tuesdays at noon. Didn't really seem relevant since I was talking about the downtime for UO today, which is by no means normal. And obviously a high time for players.
Yeah, well I am just saying I doubt the drama would be that bad, because WoW ppl realize that Tuesday at noon is a better time to do stuff like taking servers down. If they had something like this they likely would not do it on friday.

P

PonceDeLeon123

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW!? Larrisa and others who are trying to downplay our outrage at the timing on this patch need to stop sucking up to the morons who have chosen to do an upgrade during prime time. I have reviewed the boards and discovered more than myself had specific plans for events this evening. Many have spent hours advertising and publicizing events for this evening, perhaps an announcement days in advance would have negated this issue, but to no avail, a last minute choice to announce and proceed has inconvenienced many players. Some events are apparently for their own employees, which just magnifies the idiocy. I hear the rebuttal of when is a good time? I rebutt that with when have you ever been to a player run event on a Monday morning? Stop sucking up and join the fact that this upgrade is the most inconvenient time to do such a thing. I understand trying to earn some points with the admin, but really, grow some and stand with the community so this does not happen again...
Larissa and others who support this timing:coco:

L

Lori DeLeon

I'm so glad that we are paying them to get it right :)

This is after all my account information that I built over the last 9yrs. Heck take all weekend if you need to get my 9yr account information correct so that by next week this will all be a distant memory of "remember when we couldn't log in on a Friday night?"

*wipes brow*

I need a fruity song to distract me :D
I'm glad you're confident they are "getting it right" after three different updates about when they were going to do it and the fact that they chose do it at such an unopportune time for their customers. I'm not so confident that they have a clue what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.