NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 81.0 Comes to TC1

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 19, 2009
That's a bad analogy, because there migth be synergies between part 1 & part 2.

Sadly UO Dev's aren't like stocks where past performace is not an indicator of future performace.

But back on topic I like the majority of the changes, and think they are LONG overdue. From the chain mortal, to poison, to HCI for gargs, and so on. I just think it is being implimented piss poorly. I would prefer a slow gradual change. First start changing the gargs, then specials, then do a weapon revamp, and finally an armor revamp.

Reactions: Lord Frodo

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 24, 2003
The big turn off for me is the huge chunk of stam loss over such a little amount of damage. Should a mob really be able to hit me for 3 points of damage and take 20% of my stamina? That's like getting hit with a feather and it feeling like I got kicked in the bean bag. Any battle hardend warrior or mage should be able to shrug that off. How does that work with exodus spamming 2 hp/tick AoE? I guess the mages can still cast while the archers and warriors run of to heal stamina.

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
The consensus appears to be, both among testers and those who respond in a more theoretical way, that the changes are bad. Those who like them appear to be few and far between and it's very difficult to imagine what exactly the positive responses relate to.

-Galen's player

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
For the Mana Burst/Phase effect, on non-medible armor, I think we need the numbers along with testing to see how those pan out, but at the same time, the player community needs to take a chill pill on that one. Offer some ideas or opinions on some other useful bonuses. This change is an added bonus, you CAN spend some time figuring it out and how to take full advantage, or you can completely ignore it and still get the bonus. Nobody is forcing you to figure it out.
(Full plate is 6 pieces, so a 6% chance to trigger the effect when player takes damage)
The notes indicate up to five pieces, so it should be only up to 5% for full plate.

IMO you take a system in which LMC/MR/HML creates situations in which you can chain AI six times in a row at times and you say, "Hey, let's give them Mana Phase, too." Previously, Mana Phase only appeared as a brittle addition through a talisman, no? And you can roll a nice talisman, but most people aren't going to use one just for Mana Phase. Same deal with Casting Focus when it first came out on rigid artifacts no one could use to build a complete suit. Now we can re-forge CF by chance onto any workable piece of armor and Mana Phase is free.

I'd much rather see Mana Phase replaced with a chance to Evade, like Bushido, except without a skill check, and for free. If we can't have Feint we need some way to help against boss encounters. Feint is only useful if you solo tank a boss, otherwise you should be able to cross heal and not really worry about the use of Feint. A dev suggesting you use Bladeweave to use Feint? Of course people in the community are going to go ape.

I used to two-man Stygian Dragon with a friend who would cast heals while I used feint/armor ignore leafblade. I'd still die every so often because of the Breath/EQ combo, but Feint really helped. Now I probably can't tank Styg and would need to instead work on a cross healing template. Of course, I'll have to see how nerfed stone form is for PvM situations, now. I understand why they want to nerf stone form for PvP, but that's going to hurt a lot of non-sampire PvM builds as well. Evil Omen change was a good one, total curse changes, maybe not a great one down the road.

There just aren't enough players to make non-solo or small group play viable in UO. If you make it so you can't do things by yourself or one other person you alienate the majority of high end PvMers. So I'll have to see what can change in order to continue that playstyle, but that's my thought on the changes.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
The big turn off for me is the huge chunk of stam loss over such a little amount of damage. Should a mob really be able to hit me for 3 points of damage and take 20% of my stamina? That's like getting hit with a feather and it feeling like I got kicked in the bean bag. Any battle hardend warrior or mage should be able to shrug that off. How does that work with exodus spamming 2 hp/tick AoE? I guess the mages can still cast while the archers and warriors run of to heal stamina.
Perhaps a case in which tactics/focus/meditation should play a role in determining how much stam loss there is, in addition to armor type.

Well, in addition to the focus passive Stam Regen. I guess one thing is you can have Stam Regen 3+ per item. But then they're nerfing Stam Leech. Hm. I wonder how things would go in Dog/Cat form with a Stam Regen focused suit.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
Yeah I liked the whole stamina reduction protection thing they put on nonmedable armor. I hate that they made stamina loss so much worse though. Now you have to wear metal armor just so you can get the same or similar stamina loss to live. Leather is just bad..practically worseless now because the stamina loss is just terrible wearing it. They really should have kept stamina loss the same I think and then added that whole stamina loss reduction system like another poster above said. Especially if they insist on keeping that silly 10second timer on total refresh.

Also I wish they would just go ahead and tell us what part 2 of the armor revamp is. Sure I am guessing there is reasons they donlt have it up at the same time. Sounds like our feedback on part 1 is going to influence how they develop part 2. But getting a general idea at least would be nice. I just hope once again that they actually listen to our feedback. I know they said they would but unfortunately in the past crappy stuff has still gone through.
Armor with the mage tag on it looks to be the same as leather no matter what it is made of. Guess UO can't understand that plate armor with mage tag is still plate armor and please don't let the RNG do this. Make it if you have 5 pieces of plate/shield (no matter the mods) it still gives you
%100.

Reactions: G.v.P

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Why the hell is everybody thinking, that dexers are getting nerfed? I don't get it.
Because of the weapons changes?
Because of the specials changes?
Surely not because auf the armor changes, because a dexer benefits from these, while mages are coming out on the short hand...
In half plate/ringmail you get more stamina loss in Publish 81 than at current. Forcing people to wear full plate in order to maintain some semblance of the original stam loss severely limits player customization. Player customization is one of the main reasons people play UO, and most players were looking for a way for plate to become more viable--IE medable, or at least somewhat balanced in that regard--rather than the only way to play a dexxer.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
Im getting how this works now I think. And I think this explains why so many results have been confusing to me. The amount of damage you take no longer effects how much stamina is lost. The only thing that effect stamina loss is the type of armor you wear to a %. [...] I think stam loss is now a flat % independant of damage.
Makes sense. If that's true they need to scrap the idea. Too ridiculous. Players should be able to influence the loss with some sort of strategy, not just deal with a flat percentage.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 27, 2004
LOL. Template police, I like it :D

Can you guys get more emotional? I guess not...

This is a forum. People voice their opinios. So do I.
Opinions are subject to be right, wrong, not fitting or not shared by others.
So you admit you had no clue what you were talking about when you clearly implied that wrestlemages are a non factor in pvp so leaving chain disarm on their template is ok in your book? Beacuse that is what your non-response shows.

This is not the first time in this very thread that your reply to being called out on utter nonsense was nothing other then "This is a forum. People voice their opinions. So do I"

Voicing your opinion is fine bud but when your opinion is clearly without fact or merit and shows a total lack of knowledge of the subject you are going to get called out, sorry.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 27, 2004
Another basic pvp fact to consider:

Even at current weapon swing speeds warriors need almost as much mana as mages do to be effective.

The new system will not only slow down weapons and keep them slowed down but if I read it correctly it will force warriors to sacrifice a mod on their platemail to make it medable? Thats just plain wrong.

Currently warriors have to max out ALL 3 stats in their suits to be effective while the majority of mages only have to max out 2 stats.
I understand in the new system that mages may now have to have alot more stamina but either way the suit building will be quite skewed if all pvp warriors have to waste a precious mod on the mage armor property.

When Bleak was posed with issues like this yesterday on Test all he kept repeating was "the goal is to make more interesting choices"

Are you kidding me? Is he running for office?

Years ago you take away random weapon special moves and make them all mana related for warriors and now you are implementing a new armor system that greatly hinders your ability to get and use mana? Bravo!

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
So you admit you had no clue what you were talking about when you clearly implied that wrestlemages are a non factor in pvp so leaving chain disarm on their template is ok in your book? Beacuse that is what your non-response shows.

This is not the first time in this very thread that your reply to being called out on utter nonsense was nothing other then "This is a forum. People voice their opinions. So do I"

Voicing your opinion is fine bud but when your opinion is clearly without fact or merit and shows a total lack of knowledge of the subject you are going to get called out, sorry.
When I get attacked by a mage, they usually have a mage weapon. I cannot recall being attacked by a wrestle mage. Therefor I assumed it based on my experience. If you have a problem with my opinion, then ignore it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
I understand in the new system that mages may now have to have alot more stamina but either way the suit building will be quite skewed if all pvp warriors have to waste a precious mod on the mage armor property.
Mage Armor looks like UO is seeing your armor as leather no matter what it is made of.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
When I get attacked by a mage, they usually have a mage weapon. I cannot recall being attacked by a wrestle mage. Therefor I assumed it based on my experience. If you have a problem with my opinion, then ignore it.
Having never been attacked by a wrestle/mage makes you opinion worthless.

Reactions: Gheed

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 24, 2003
Armor with the mage tag on it looks to be the same as leather no matter what it is made of. Guess UO can't understand that plate armor with mage tag is still plate armor and please don't let the RNG do this. Make it if you have 5 pieces of plate/shield (no matter the mods) it still gives you
%100.
I agree with this. If you invested points into the mage tag then you should get the benfits. Maybe you pick up a really sweet plate piece for you war/archer from the new dungeon loot but it rolled the mage tag. Same for runic reforging. I could live with it if there were a way to remove the property like we can with damage increase.

I had thought of this earlier and wanted to suggest that we go back to stamina damage based on damage taken, but still affected by armor with some advantages for mage armor on non-leather armor. But that is another formula.

Calculated per piece:
  • Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor). STM dmg = ((DMG taken - 2 [med/non med]) * 0.125 [non med only]).
  • Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor). STM dmg = ((DMG taken - 1.5 [med/non med]) * 0.15 [non med only])).
  • Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor. STM dmg = ((DMG taken - 1 [med/non med]) * 0.175 [non med only])).
  • Cloth, leather, and jewelry armor. STM dmg = ((DMG taken) * 0.2)).
For example, a 35 point hit wearing 6 pieces from the categories above would plug into the above formula to calculate stamina damage into:
  • Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor). STM dmg = ((35 - 12 [med/ non med]) * .75[non med only]) = 17.25 stamina damage.
  • Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor). STM dmg = ((35 - 9 [med/non med]) * .9 [non med only])) = 23.4 stamina damage.
  • Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor. STM dmg = ((35 - 6 [med/non med]) * 1.05 [non med only])) = 30.45 stamina damage.
  • Cloth, leather, and jewelry armor. STM dmg = ((35) * 1.2)) = 42 stamina damage.
If all your armor had the mage armor property, you would simply drop the second half of the formula (reduction multiplier) you would still get some noticeable benefit from mage armor:
  • Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor). STM dmg = ((35 - 12 [med/non med]) = 23 stamina damage.
  • Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor). STM dmg = (35 - 9 [med/non med]) = 26 stamina damage.
  • Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor. STM dmg = (35 - 6 [med/non med]) = 29 stamina damage. Here you actually get slightly more stamina protection from the mage armor property.

Last edited:

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 26, 2006
Calculated per piece: [LIST said:
[*]Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor). STM dmg = ((DMG taken - 2 [med/non med]) * 0.125 [non med only]).
[*]Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor). STM dmg = ((DMG taken - 1.5 [med/non med]) * 0.15 [non med only])).
[*]Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor. STM dmg = ((DMG taken - 1 [med/non med]) * 0.175 [non med only])).
[*]Cloth, leather, and jewelry armor. STM dmg = ((DMG taken) * 0.2)).
[/LIST]
For example, a 35 point hit wearing 6 pieces from the categories above would plug into the above formula to calculate stamina damage into:

• Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor). STM dmg = ((35 - 12 [med/ non med]) * .75[non med only]) = 17.25 stamina damage.
  • Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor). STM dmg = ((35 - 9 [med/non med]) * .9 [non med only])) = 23.4 stamina damage.
  • Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor. STM dmg = ((35 - 6 [med/non med]) * 1.05 [non med only])) = 30.45 stamina damage.
  • Cloth, leather, and jewelry armor. STM dmg = ((35) * 1.2)) = 42 stamina damage.
Does anyone have a powerpoint presentation on any of this I can look at?

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 27, 2004
FYI:

Time to dump anything gargoyle related while you can still get anything for it.

As usual the nerf stick wont just nerf. It will obliterate :)

I already put an entry in my calendar for 2015. "dust off thrower and play him again after new publish retores him enugh to play"

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 17, 2008
squeezepagegraphics.com
What a way to trash so many templates and suits in one stroke!

I know for one thing what is not stated is that wearing non med armor kills passive meditation which is one of the prime reason every template is in leather now.

I can see this publish will effect nearly all PVP and PVM Templates.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 6, 2008
What a way to trash so many templates and suits in one stroke!

I know for one thing what is not stated is that wearing non med armor kills passive meditation which is one of the prime reason every template is in leather now.

I can see this publish will effect nearly all PVP and PVM Templates.
What are you calling passive meditation?
I currently run a character that has nonmed armor and with meditation I gain mana quicker than without. Note that this is not actively meditating I cant do that. with focus I gain all stats quicker than without. This is what I consider passive, and it works prior to these changes.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
These changes are titled as part 1. How many other parts are there? When are we likely to at least see what else is coming, and ideally test everything together? It's hard for players to give feedback if we only have one bit of the puzzle. Can we please get the full picture ASAP? I feel my chars are all needing new gear, but I can't make changes based only on part 1. Even if it's just a rough list, so we don't adjust to one change then fall foul of part 2 or 3 or however many there are lol :) I realise the plan may be to release this over a period, but just some general notes so we know how these changes fit together.

I'm glad to see humans got a boost here, and also glad I waited to revamp gear on my chars. Some harsh changes, but I suspect more bad news is coming to those who may escape part 1 lol. But this is why I'm lost for comments, because we lack context of how it all goes together. I don't want to just echo what others are saying because the changes could be bearable if what follows balances things out. And yet, this is UO, so I will shut up about balance hehehe. TLDR - meh ;)

I share player concerns about complexity and it's made worse by some of the language and presentation of these changes. I've cursed some of the publish lists before, because wording was vague or seemed almost like someone took notes quickly over the phone and hadn't expanded them into a real explanation. But with changes like this, we NEED to know exactly what you mean as they impact every player in a fundamental way. I don't mean to sound like a nut, but please remember we don't have your knowledge of formula etc unless you explain them to us normal folks :D Armour/weapons are fundamentals in UO, everyone must be able to understand how they work, or they can't get the best out of the rest of the game. If I need spreadsheets and websites just to decide what to loot and what needs trashing, there is unnecessary complexity. Put that into AI or puzzles or any other gameplay but suits. Once my chars are equipped, then you can hit them with challenging complexity.

Wenchy

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 24, 2012
Herndon, VA
These changes are titled as part 1. How many other parts are there? When are we likely to at least see what else is coming, and ideally test everything together? It's hard for players to give feedback if we only have one bit of the puzzle. Can we please get the full picture ASAP? I feel my chars are all needing new gear, but I can't make changes based only on part 1. Even if it's just a rough list, so we don't adjust to one change then fall foul of part 2 or 3 or however many there are lol :) I realise the plan may be to release this over a period, but just some general notes so we know how these changes fit together.

I'm glad to see humans got a boost here, and also glad I waited to revamp gear on my chars. Some harsh changes, but I suspect more bad news is coming to those who may escape part 1 lol. But this is why I'm lost for comments, because we lack context of how it all goes together. I don't want to just echo what others are saying because the changes could be bearable if what follows balances things out. And yet, this is UO, so I will shut up about balance hehehe. TLDR - meh ;)

I share player concerns about complexity and it's made worse by some of the language and presentation of these changes. I've cursed some of the publish lists before, because wording was vague or seemed almost like someone took notes quickly over the phone and hadn't expanded them into a real explanation. But with changes like this, we NEED to know exactly what you mean as they impact every player in a fundamental way. I don't mean to sound like a nut, but please remember we don't have your knowledge of formula etc unless you explain them to us normal folks :D Armour/weapons are fundamentals in UO, everyone must be able to understand how they work, or they can't get the best out of the rest of the game. If I need spreadsheets and websites just to decide what to loot and what needs trashing, there is unnecessary complexity. Put that into AI or puzzles or any other gameplay but suits. Once my chars are equipped, then you can hit them with challenging complexity.

Wenchy
There is one additional phase. Most of the work on it was finished up on Friday, we still need to tweak a few things but, once it gets through QA we'll release all the details and put it on TC. I know it's a little difficult trying to test things out without having the entire picture, but we felt it was important to get these changes out for feedback as quickly as possible. As Bleak already pointed out, nothing is set in stone. There is still a lot of work left to do on this publish independent of the armor/weapon changes so you won't be seeing it on production without tweaks as some have suggested.

Every post that has been made on the topic has been read, as will all the feedback that's been submitted through UO.com. Your comments are not falling on deaf ears. Thanks again everyone for your feedback, it gives us a lot to work with.

Stickypaws

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Hopped onto test, first glance couldn't see anything new in Tinkering menu, and could not set tinkering above 100. Have the tinkering changes gone onto TC yet?

Also, any chance of an advanced warning, are Tinkers going too have too raise skill too get a powerscroll and raise 120 any time soon?

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
There is one additional phase. Most of the work on it was finished up on Friday, we still need to tweak a few things but, once it gets through QA we'll release all the details and put it on TC. I know it's a little difficult trying to test things out without having the entire picture, but we felt it was important to get these changes out for feedback as quickly as possible. As Bleak already pointed out, nothing is set in stone. There is still a lot of work left to do on this publish independent of the armor/weapon changes so you won't be seeing it on production without tweaks as some have suggested.

Every post that has been made on the topic has been read, as will all the feedback that's been submitted through UO.com. Your comments are not falling on deaf ears. Thanks again everyone for your feedback, it gives us a lot to work with.
That's the answer I was hoping for, thank you :) I was just worried we'd have a longer wait between the 2 parts, but that gives us a bit of time to get familiar with part 1 before the second arrives.

Time to get busy on TC testing *grins*

Wenchy

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

The word "tweak" concerns me greatly.

Most of our objections are far more fundamental than can be contained by the word "tweak."

Most of the people who have tested it appear to have more fundamental objections, not minor ones. Not the kind of thing that minor adjustments to the system as proposed can match.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 24, 2012
Herndon, VA
The word "tweak" concerns me greatly.

Most of our objections are far more fundamental than can be contained by the word "tweak."

Most of the people who have tested it appear to have more fundamental objections, not minor ones. Not the kind of thing that minor adjustments to the system as proposed can match.

-Galen's player
Tweaks, changes, overhauls, restructurings, amelioration...let's net get bogged down in semantics. It was merely the word I chose, as I mentioned we have a lot to work with. Keep that feedback coming! :)

Last edited:

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 27, 2003

This does not provide loads of comfort. Reading between the lines would say that this is the direction that you wish to go and we all are coming along for the ride. I rebuilt suits after the faction nerf but I still have chars collecting dust on some servers that I didn't play daily, if I have to do it again for my main shards on every guy that I use I'm not sure that I'll bother.

Not a threat but more of a warning that is not a single thought. Don't kill all of our stuff just for the sake of stupidity.

Thanks all the same for taking the time to reply on a Sunday though, I didn't expect anything till Monday if ever.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
I personally don't find UO all that complex. I think the main problem is that they introduce changes that are not intuitive (see nearly this whole change) and then they use less than helpful language to explain them (if I see the word proc one more time...) and fail to even give examples of how it all works, and people are left with a billion questions. The main thing that made this patches changes so obtuse was the fact that they didn't into nearly enough detail, leaving the convoluted and non intuitive ideas very hard to get a grip on.

And on top of that you get dev responses like "Use defensive bladeweave instead of feint" which REALLY make you wonder if they play the game at all.

Then you move on to the issue that if these changes get implemented... how are they going to give us the information about what they do IN game? Are they going to add 3 new properties to EVERY piece of armor? "Why does my armor have "mana burst 3". What does that mean?" "Why does my plate armor have 'SSI debuff 10%' what on earth does that do?" Or does it just go undocumented like 1000 other little undocumented things in this game?

And to think... all we really wanted was for resists to make sense. Plate should much better resists than leather. That is really all people ever wanted. And guess what? So far its not been done. Maybe "part 2".

Blehf. Not encouraged at all.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 20, 2007

People wanted cosmetic changes with armor (all armor with mage armor and the option to have choices) not stam changes. As a pvper i'm used to changes but you guys are messing with the entire playerbase and it's not cool.

-that armor stam change needs to be totally scrapped imo. There's nothing good about it period. Just put mage armor on all types and mess with base resists maybe even imbue weights and you'll have some REALLY happy players.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Tweaks, changes, overhauls, restructurings, amelioration...let's net get bogged down in semantics. It was merely the word I chose, as I mentioned we have a lot to work with. Keep that feedback coming! :)
Many thanks.

As you can see from Picus's reply, however, I wasn't the only one with that concern!

Words are how meaning is conveyed; hence, they matter.

Yes, many posters here go really crazy with it, and that can make it seem like word choice is less important than it is; can make it seem like it doesn't matter what you actually say.

I understand that, seen it happen to many teams. Someone else addressed this quite beautifully the last time the communication issue was discussed.

But, still.

-Galen's player

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 6, 2008
OK, I tested with elf character in wood suite all non med. The stamina taken away seems to scale based on how much stamina you have left.
at 151 stamina I took 2 points of damage and I dropped to 139 stamina
I continued taking damage and stamina continued to fall. at below 120 stamina I notice that the stamina chuncks started to lower
at 117 stamina I took 2 pts of damage and dropped to 111. More testing would need to be done and since at the time my character has focus at 120 it was hard to keep track of what my stam was at exact time of damage. Also all damage dealt to me was regenerated prior to the next hit.

I tried this with a human character in full plate all non med. And the damage was 2pts per hit but stamina loss was not as bad , I did not record the numbers. But will next time

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
As the dinosaurs screamed "the sky is falling" the small mammalian s whispered "change is in the air".

Reactions: DerekL

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 27, 2003
-that armor stam change needs to be totally scrapped imo. There's nothing good about it period. Just put mage armor on all types and mess with base resists maybe even imbue weights and you'll have some REALLY happy players.
I think that metal armor giving stamina protection is a good thing that can actually work out quite well, but it needs further tweaking based on damage received so a swarm of rats gnawing on you won't instantly drop your stamina to nothing. I don't think people that DONT wear heavy armor should take huge stamina hits either. Just keep it close to what it is right now on live server, and give people wearing metal something on top of that.

I personally don't like the mana phasing and swing speed debuffs at all. They're overly complicated, highly situational and have very little effect compared to complexity of the rules. When adding complexity, devs should wonder "how does this improve/benefit gameplay and is this actually interesting enough to warrant all these extra brain CPU cycles that people have to spend on understanding the mechanics". The trade-off just isn't there for these two systems, the first is basically 5% reduced damage from martial weapons and the second is basically 2-3% lower mana cost. There are much simpler ways to do that.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
People wanted cosmetic changes with armor
You sure about that? At least for my part I don't want just cosmetic changes. I want real choices. I don't want the softest material to have the very same stats as the hardest material. That's lame. No diversity...

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 9, 2006
I was hoping they would gut the entire current system entirely and rebuild it from the ground up. Honestly, regardless of whatever templates are dominant now because of the changes, it hasn't really addressed the major problem: It's an utterly confusing, bloated, illogical mess that requires a scientific calculator and a 20 page weapon/armour property glossary.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 15, 2008
Tested and APPROVED! Nice changes dev Team! Even the stam changes are more realistic and will make UO much better

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 17, 2008
squeezepagegraphics.com
What are you calling passive meditation?
I currently run a character that has nonmed armor and with meditation I gain mana quicker than without. Note that this is not actively meditating I cant do that. with focus I gain all stats quicker than without. This is what I consider passive, and it works prior to these changes.
Your mistaken. Regardless how much INT or Med you have, Non Med Armor kills the multiplier. It has been like this for ages. Since 99 I have never seen a mage sport non med plate since T2A. Need facts - http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/meditation.php zero out the Meditation and reduce the int. non med armor negates both bonuses. Only factor that would be good is using Focus with non med armor.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
OK, I tested with elf character in wood suite all non med. The stamina taken away seems to scale based on how much stamina you have left.
at 151 stamina I took 2 points of damage and I dropped to 139 stamina
I continued taking damage and stamina continued to fall. at below 120 stamina I notice that the stamina chuncks started to lower
at 117 stamina I took 2 pts of damage and dropped to 111. More testing would need to be done and since at the time my character has focus at 120 it was hard to keep track of what my stam was at exact time of damage. Also all damage dealt to me was regenerated prior to the next hit.

I tried this with a human character in full plate all non med. And the damage was 2pts per hit but stamina loss was not as bad , I did not record the numbers. But will next time
Now try it with same type of armor but make it Mage Armor.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 19, 2009
I really hope so!!!!! and if this is the case I will be the first to appoligize.

Please make me say I am sorry!!!!!!!

With that being said please make it a SLOW and STEADY conversion. Once the details have been ironed out public state a date as to when each change will go into affect. That way players can adjust slowly over a 12-18 month time frame.

I really feel like the reason most people are flipping out is because of how drastic of a change it is. A slow conversion will make players more accomidating to change.

Last edited:

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 24, 2003
Can you give us any kind of estimate on when you'll be releasing the details for the additional phase and putting it on Test Center?.
I'd like more information on what is TC now. This isnt one of those situations where we should be discovering the wonders of test center.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
I really hope so!!!!! and if this is the case I will be the first to appoligize.

Please make me say I am sorry!!!!!!!

With that being said please make it a SLOW and STEADY conversion. Once the details have been ironed out public state a date as to when each change will go into affect. That way players can adjust slowly over a 12-18 month time frame.

I really feel like the reason most people are flipping out is because of how drastic of a change it is. A slow conversion will make players more accomidating to change.
The only problem with doing it slow is people may have to rebuild thier suits more than once to adjust to all the changes.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
I think that metal armor giving stamina protection is a good thing that can actually work out quite well, but it needs further tweaking based on damage received so a swarm of rats gnawing on you won't instantly drop your stamina to nothing.
Not that I PvP much, but it makes me wonder what those summoned faries/imps via spellweaving will do to stamina.

Also, I wonder if the drop in stamina goes for creatures as well. How slow will a top end creature attack when they are at 0 stamina.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 4, 2008
svp - stamina vs p

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Trinsic, LS
I agree with this. If you invested points into the mage tag then you should get the benfits.

This makes sense.

Then it also makes sense that they alter the Samarai Empire Plate Armor, so it no longer gets a free Mage Armor for exceptional quality. If they miss this, then all of the armor revamp is shot (beacuase everyone will just use the SE Platemail).

Stayin Alive,

BG

LokiOfLS

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Jan 28, 2013
Pre pub 81 Test: WOoHoo! Armor changes.

If I'm wearing a huge metal suit, shouldn't I be taking more stamina damage? I mean, A) it's fricken heavier. B) I'm slower, I'll get hit more. C) Harder to balance with all that gear. The leather folks should take less stamina damage because they'll 'dodge' attacks, and balance easier, and move easier.

Leather should take more damage, metal should not. (Wood armor.. somewhere inbetween?)

What I think would have fixed this issue without invoking terrible ideas like mana phase and ssi debuf:
I mean to make more armor usable, up their base resists, we spend less magic weight on boosting resists to get to 70s, instead we can afford to add other magic props to the armor like regen/stat buffs. The balance is free inherent MR but less extra mods versus non med, but more mods. Not a huge fan of the 80s, but KISS has it right. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Since we're talking about stamina so far, the cool down timer on TR pots is incredibly more hindering to fel players. Might as well run around with fish steaks and eat when I need to replenish stamina.

I think you may have seen an issue, but I think you went to town with a sledge hammer when it needed a tack hammer. Increased Stamina Damage, TR pot cool down, diminished stamina leech based on dex... The combined effect is just too much.

I haven't tested the weapons enough to know the difference, but I don't have a fencer. I do know that my friggen archer sucks, so the more you do to boost archery, I'll support it ;)

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 25, 2002
Armor Revamp part 1

Player’s stamina loss will now be based on the type of armor as well as the amount of armor that is equipped*. Each piece of armor up to five pieces will reduce the amount of stamina lost when taking damage. The stamina loss protection provided is ranked as follows where 1 provides the best protection:
  • Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor).
  • Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor).
  • Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor.
  • Cloth, leather, and jewelry armor.
*Human racial ability Tough now provides a bonus to stamina loss protection.
Something that just went *ding* in my head... 'player crafted' armor (provides stam loss protection) - so armor from loot drops does not?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 24, 2003
This makes sense.

Then it also makes sense that they alter the Samarai Empire Plate Armor, so it no longer gets a free Mage Armor for exceptional quality. If they miss this, then all of the armor revamp is shot (beacuase everyone will just use the SE Platemail).

Stayin Alive,

BG
The mage armor property in SE plate is added for free when you craft it exceptional. But it still subtracts 140 intensity points and one mod from the total pool. Crafting SE plate basically just saves you the imbuing ingrediant cost of doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shakkara
Status
Not open for further replies.