• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 81.0 Comes to TC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are small number of weapons I actually use for melee fighting. I PvM primarily and defend myself during raids/harrowers as best I can for my PvP playset. The weapons I currently use are:

- War Axe (AI, Bleed), 13-15, 3.25s
- Bladed Staff (AI, Dismount), 14-16, 3.0s
- Leafblade (Feint, AI), 13-15, 2.75s
- Broadsword (AI, CB), 13-15, 3.25s

I use all of these because they have the best DPS with an achievable 1.25s swing speed and have the AI special move. Of course, this is dependent on me maintaining my stamina so I can swing at 1.25s. What I foresee happening if HSL no longer works as it currently does, is I will have to migrate to weapons that naturally swing faster with less stamina so I can maintain my 1.25s swing rate. I will sacrifice DPS but as long as I can maintain my swing rate I will continue to succeed in my attack. This might mean I move more to the Katana which is a faster AI weapon (2.5s) with a lower base damage.

The problem in all of this is that there is still only a small subset of weapons that will be used. I thought the whole purpose of this was to make all weapons have a use. This would mean things like giving a 2H weapon a distinct benefit over using a 1H weapon because they cannot use a shield or have a free hand for pots. This meant fixing some of the special moves that have no real purpose or use. I was looking forward to metal having similar properties by ingot type as wood to add variety to weapons so not every mage is running a -15MW Bloodwood Bokuto.

So if I could adjust the initial pub for weapons changes it would be in this manner:

- Drop the HSL change completely
- Drop the Mana Burst and SSI debuff effects as they only add unnecessary complexity
- Give a bonus to using 2H weapons (something like a 20% chance for a free double strike)
- Don't change the existing weapons that people use (i.e. leafblade, soul glaive) and buff everything else to be on par with them
- Give ingots, stone, and other materials besides wood a set of bonus mods and extra resists so they are on par with wood

Bottomline: Reduce the complexity by going back and just tweaking the status quo; do not increase complexity by adding new confusing systems and effects.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Give ingots, stone, and other materials besides wood a set of bonus mods and extra resists so they are on par with wood.
I hope this will be part of the following Armor phases.

Stayin Alive,

BG

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Stamina loss

Why stamina 180 player have only 3 damage,naked this guy loss stamina 50 over? lol
Only stamina 30 player loss 5 .
If 180 stamina warrier with metal suits,monster hit damage 20,he lost 31 stamina.
30 stamina warrier with metal suits,monster hit damage 20,he lost only 1 stamina.
Is it good ?!

I hope high stamina player have bonus for stamina decrease.

I read new publish.
I think this change is good for only pvp player.
PK want more easy killng?
And pvm player think very bad change.

Why fencing weapon have not feint weapon?
If this is indeed the case, we have a major problem. Scaling the stamina damage accordingly to your max stamina is an awful idea.
I will need to transfer my macer to TC and test this between today and tomorrow.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still have yet to see one person say that these proposed changes are even close to something they asked for.

Where did this over complicated pile of headache inducing dogcake originate?

*Sorry mods, I kept it as civil as I possibly could without actually imploding :)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently testing Publish 81.0.0 on Test Center
Some quick thoughts on changes:

-Weapon base too high for axes/bows in PvP. Comp bows are going to be nasty.
-Nice change to Nunchaku (double strike), Club (crushing blow), and Gnarled Staff (force of nature instead of para), but I don't like Maul having Double Strike and Conc instead of Crushing (Double Strike on a mace doesn't fit)
-war mace: force of nature / mortal instead of crushing/bleed? huge change, but force of nature looks pretty OP
-Skinning Knife (shadow strike/bleed) instead of shadow strike/disarm very nice change for stealthers
-Leadblade (Bleed/Armor Ignore) instead of Feint/Armor Ignore and 11-15 base from 13-15 ouch...made a PvM wep into a PvP wep...will have to see how much the nerf hurts, but the removal of feint is huge.
-like disarm 10 second immunity
-crushing now drains 10 points of stamina from target, yet you took it off the maul!!! boo
-double shot...ick...not a good idea for bows to have 15% hci, that's going to be OP as hell
-Bladeweave: offensive/defensive mode--needs to be mana free, too, because RNG moves are worthless and doesn't make up for lack of feint on fencing weps
-Force of Nature (15-35 direct damage)...stun...wow...on 12th hit--will be so OP but 12th hit is silly, should be 7th hit or less
-Frenzied Whirlwind applies movement slow on 5th hit is okay but will have to test
-stam loss each piece of armor up to five pieces--how is priority set? sounds complicated
-mana phase: not a good idea. just encourages people to use tailor crafted armor unless stam loss is significant. free mana plus mana leech? meh.
-SSI debuff interesting idea, but not sure it's needed for PvP. Good for PvM, though, really good if it encourages metal armor for PvM.
-like change to animal form being interrupted while cast and evil omen reducing stone form immunity
-chivalry divine fury nerf not really needed

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I hope this will be part of the following Armor phases.

Stayin Alive,

BG
I agree. There is a component of material bonuses that affect both weapons and armor. I held off on talking about that until the devs unveil their initial plan for armor and materials.

budman23

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I appreciate the changes to armour, but lets be serious no one will use plate.
No one uses dragon armour, no one uses Osiris armour, heck no one use that ephirmal armour either.

Its nice you give us choices, however its kind of comical how scared people are of changes they will never make or need to make.
Its also funny trying to watch people make a valid argument why throwers dont need a nerf or why people should be able to chug 200 red pots per minute.

Most people will cry because it effects them personally, it will, there are TOO MANY THROWERS.
Sometimes the correct decision isnt the popular one, its about time Mythic did something correct.

Btw if you want to balance stealthers, disallow them to run while stealthed, whoever thought that was a believable mechanic is wrong, one simple fix, fixes them all. Im up for someone to show me another game where you can move as quick as being non stealthed as Ultima Online.

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PS--is it possible for EA to make videos on YouTube or something to help explain these elaborate changes, and what they want to accomplish? Kind of like how League of Legends does it?

[youtube]drNRCr8KTPA[/youtube]

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ea doesn't employ any marketing for anything other than Madden. According to their best and brightest, word of mouth is more important than letting the people, who spread the word to begin with, to know anything.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dragon Scale armor:

Can we please be allowed to enhance/reforge it?
You can enhance the dragon armor that was looking from the bane invasion (I think that was it)- I haven't tried to reforge it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mana burst: Yes, it's hard to see any thematic sense. But I think they did it to compensate for dexxers, since they also need mana and now would be a little crippled, since they take away their passive regen. One problem is probably, that mage armor is a on/off-property. Either you have it or not. Maybe if they would change it into a scalable property, they wouldn't need this compensation with mana phase. I.e.:
  • No mage armor: Blacksmith crafted armor (platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armor).
  • 33% mage armor effectiveness: Carpentry crafted armor (woodland and stone armor).
  • 66% mage armor effectiveness: Tailor crafted studded leather, hide, and bone armor.
  • 100% mage armor effectiveness: Cloth, leather, and jewelry armor.
SSI debuff does make sense, since the attacker is definitely affected by the sturdiness of the defenders armor. It effectively reduces DPS of the attacker by slowing down his attack speed. Let's stick to PvE, which is a flat 30% SSI debuff for the mob.

I.e. Mob dishing out 100 points of damage every 2 seconds = 50 dps. With the debuff it's 100 / (2 * 1.3) = 38.46 dps
Now this is where Feint ties in. What does it do? Copied from stratics:
"Reduces the attacker’s damage by a percentage. The percentage can be 20% to 50% and scales based on the defender’s weapon skill. Duration is 6 seconds.
Requires Bushido or Ninjitsu skill."
In my example this means, Feint reduces the dps from 25dps to 40dps (and since you probably use feint against some 120+ weapon skill mobs, you probably will just lean towards the 20% reduction, which is 40 dps).

So, the SSI debuff is free, costs no mana and it works with every template, not just bushido or ninjitsu.
Sounds good to me (at least on paper, but I assume I'll play out similar in the "real virtual world").
I understand the reason for both of them, but neither make sense thematically is what I was saying. And no, the toughness of my armor will have 0 effect on how often my opponent can swing at me. If its a simple case of damage reduction, then just add in damage reduction. OR have it raise the dci cap! Either would have a similar effect, and would make thematic sense.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we have a constructive thread created that Petra or another mod is deleting useless posts on OmG you pwned my template plz..all this thread is is bashing..instead come up with viable alternatives

- refresh timer dropped to 3 secs
- cure pot timer added to 5 seconds
- infectious strike timer nullified but takes more mana if used within 5 seconds say triple the amount..to stop the chain DP
- enhance pots capped at 25% for mages 50% if dexxer
- if using alchemy your enhance pots cap is increased 25%
- cleansing wind casting time increased

Etc etc...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we have a constructive thread created that Petra or another mod is deleting useless posts on OmG you pwned my template plz..all this thread is is bashing..instead come up with viable alternatives

- refresh timer dropped to 3 secs
- cure pot timer added to 5 seconds
- infectious strike timer nullified but takes more mana if used within 5 seconds say triple the amount..to stop the chain DP
- enhance pots capped at 25% for mages 50% if dexxer
- if using alchemy your enhance pots cap is increased 25%
- cleansing wind casting time increased

Etc etc...
there is no infectius strike (its called infecting lol...they don't even know what the specials are called but they're messing with em?)

THE only way they should put a timer on that is if they put an equal timer on cure pots. Someone works gm poisoning only to have it negated with chain cure potions. It's NO different than the olden days of necro being negated with no apple timer.

Stam timer could be good to keep people from running away BUT in a total gank it's going to be true death. Decrease timer to 5sec would be a happy medium.

Decrease casting time on animal form and hard cap it so warriors and mages with ninja are on equal footing.

Remove stam loss while in wolf form to balance the refresh pot timer.

victorinox

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As first, if the patch will go public thanks a lot that i can put all my dexer suits at the trash barrel, they only cost some 100 millions and a lot of time.

With the changes it isnt possible to get the 4,5s or 5s weapons speed to 1,25, all 4.5s weapons are useless.
If you have 60% swingspeed increase and 210 stam the weapons are still useless.
A mystic mage heals with cleaning winds and laugh about the dexer, the cast is to fast and heals to much.

If you dont want dexxers at this game plz remove the skills completely.

DONT TOUCH A RUNNING SYSTEM.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forcing templates of armor down peoples throat, especially in a sandbox type game like UO, is just about stupid.

I have to admit, I am a little too bummed at the idea of losing feint off the leafblade to even bother testing this stuff. I've been using the leafblade since it first came out.

Two handed weapons needed a bigger bump.

Yumi with double shot down to 3.25? Really? Once I get around to testing it a little, that will probably replace my composite bows. Then again, maybe not.

It still seems like to me they are trying to fix things without actually fixing real cause/root of the issues/problems.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just did the fel baracoon spawn on TC1 and it was brutal. I didn't die but it was close, often. I have a very nice pre pub 81 suit which seems to be hurting alot now.

As for raiding it I think that is a game over deal if you get targeted by the spawn. Levels one and two were fine but 3 was stunning how fast I dropped stam with every spell or damage I took. WW specials with 8 rats around me sometimes didn't leech enough stam and I have only the glasses on that are medable so that should have reduced the drop I thought. It looked like mages are toast if you can't make a path.

On a side note I did some unbound vortex's also and found that they were again killing my stam. One was do-able but 2 was rough so I copied over a disco bard which helped somewhat but it was still annoying. AI's however seemed to be doing a little more damage to the creatures capping out on my guy at 201 vs 189 on a normal shard which seemed odd as I don't think the damage changed on my longsword.

I would like to use a metal suit and see what gives there but I don't have one with the same mods so I might try to make one on TC. All in all it seems that my current sampire suit will be ok but I have not bothered with the PvPing yet.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What was the thinking behind changing the club specials? I understand a club being a crushing weapon, but my club wielding stealthers will not be happy and if you need an RP reason for them, think a thug in a back alley attacking from behind with one of the simplest weapons they can find: the humble club. If you must change the club, could you possibly add another macing weapon called the blackjack that keeps the shadow strike maneuver? I hate to see my stealthers get more limited in the weapons they can use.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats right, Stamina loss is still the same, the difference now is that you can prevent stamina loss with wearing heavier crafted armor. :)

For a warrior thats very handy when using a shield to keep that Stamina up. :)
Yea... Supposedly... except it doesn't work. If that was the intention, wearing heavy armor should completely negate the loss of stamina.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I can't believe we have to change our suits yet again. Right now I am so mind-blown by these changes I can't comment properly. Wow why would they do this? There's no reason to make people suffer through these changes, we don't have a large enough player-base to make such giant changes to core play systems. I understand not everyone pvp's but c'mon there has to be people out there who actually play and challenge themselves in other ways. Not everyone is fishing, growing plants or doing t-maps right?
I mean I get it if they want to make a whole new game. But this is our game.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Force of nature is pretty overpowered....
It'll just become the template of the month. Then during the next set of giant sweeping changes where we have to remake our suits and templates again it will be worthless again.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there is no infectius strike (its called infecting lol...they don't even know what the specials are called but they're messing with em?)

THE only way they should put a timer on that is if they put an equal timer on cure pots. Someone works gm poisoning only to have it negated with chain cure potions. It's NO different than the olden days of necro being negated with no apple timer.

Stam timer could be good to keep people from running away BUT in a total gank it's going to be true death. Decrease timer to 5sec would be a happy medium.

Decrease casting time on animal form and hard cap it so warriors and mages with ninja are on equal footing.

Remove stam loss while in wolf form to balance the refresh pot timer.
First off autocorrect ftw...second of all I stated a timer for cure pots as well as dropping the cap on enhance pots for mages which would help dexxers unless the Mage decides to use skill points in alchemy..there is no reason a Mage or dexxer for that matter should be able to drink potions non stop. There should be a timer on ALL potions not just the select few

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets sum up:

The 5 of the 6 most effective moves that a warrior has against a mage (mortal,bleed,armor ignore,dp,moving shot) have ALL been nerfed.
These 5 moves are by far the majority of all moves used in a warrior vs mage 1 vs 1 for the basic fact that besides dismount they are the only moves that give the warrior any chance of surviving.

On top of this though warriors will now have to use initially slower weapons that will become even slower during the fight as stamina drops considerably. The new changes to 2 handed weapons are a complete waste of time joke.

On top of that warriors disarm move is nerfed (sc mage weapons anyone?) while wrestle mages can still chain disarm a warrior at will.

Now comes the best part though!

With the one exception of Throwers, current mage vs warrior pvp has been extremely balanced for quite some time.

So factor in all of the above gigantic warrior nerfs and what nerfs have the Devs done to Mages to balance these out?
NONE, ZIPPO,NADA,NOTHING.
Stamina loss affects both sides so that cancels out. Mages will still never have any worries about lack of mana vs a warrior.

I cant wait to have my ssi reduced for no other reason then my opponent is wearing a certain type of armor. It sounds like so much fun!

How much of my stamina will one precast Pain Spike take away? Yummy!

NEWSFLASH DEVS:
There is no balancing ganks. When you revamp and try to balance things in the pvp world you work on balancing 1 vs 1.
You geniuses have just done the opposite. Congrats :)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I haven't even seen that many reds, definitely less then 10 (with the majority being at an event). I'd say less then 5 while out and about on my own (and they were actually all steal archers).
Well it also depends what shard you play and what areas you roam..but if you're playing ATL you're sure to see some action I have reds on both chessy and ATL and 75% of my gameplay is on those toons

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quick Stam test.

[youtube]jmgbS0RgQXA[/youtube]

Hard to really see much of a difference. First run is Production, Publish 80. Second run is TC, Publish 81. Looks as if stamina dips faster in second run, from 176 to 162, whereas the first run goes down to 165 at the most.

Suit is all metal: ring legs, chest, plate arms, hands, gorget, norse helm. Weapon is leafblade.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Force of nature is pretty overpowered....
Force of Nature rework, now applies 15-35 delayed direct damage to the attacker. The attacker receives a damage increase of 50%-100% based on their strength. The attacker also applies a stun their target for two seconds which can be reduced by magic resist every 12th hit. Equipping the weapon will reset the hit count.

I've seen a few comments about this being OP, but I'm guessing people are seeing the 15-35 direct damage and interpreting that to mean it does both STUN + 15-35 Dmg to the same person. That isn't the case the way I read it. The guy doing the attacking effectively trades off damaging himself for the ability to STUN his opponent. I'd say it will have some uses but not crazy OP. Hmmm... Also, the way I read it "equipping" the weapons removes the ability of the target to not be stun depending on their Magic Resist. If that's the case perhaps 2 identical imbued Wild Staves and just using Equip last Weapon to make it so your target cannot resist the stun occasionally.... Actually all of those mechanics having to do with # of hits are pretty lame and probably easy to get around imo.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With all this idiocy I sometimes just hope they throw all this AoS stuff out of the window, revert to the original game mechanics with AR and stuff first, and build up new systems again from there.

Shakkara: Totally agree with you on this.

To the devs:

UO system was already over complicated and now make it this much harder?

Some players survived the AoS debacle but look at the end result and now you put the player base heading into the same cross roads again. It would of been better to just go back to the original armor system and build upon that as Shakkara mentioned.

Making all armor useful again? To my understanding this would give a player a choice to be able to wear all leather or all metal atmor for aesthics purposes. So if a mage wanted to wear cloth or leather armor they could. A dexxer could wear ring or plate if they wanted. Some may wanted to wear dragon armor. It had so many possabilties for not just aesthics but RP value. UO was based on RP at one time. Let the player have their character not just be a template but let them feel and have that look of that template. A person who wants to play a Paladin should wear plate. An archer should wear studded armor. A warrior should wear ringmail ect ect ect.

Adding more formulas to an existing system may as well start a UO college and charge them for a 4 year degree so they can actually play the game upon graduation. When a dev stated " making all armor useful again" and this is the end result as we speak atm. It may change if the devs actually read the concerns and complaints before it hits the prodo shards but if the player base wanted to do AoS headache all over again you all sure gave it to them.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can enhance the dragon armor that was looking from the bane invasion (I think that was it)- I haven't tried to reforge it.
You can not enhance crafted dragon armor. you get the message that it is already enhanced with a special material. I suspect the bane armor has the base +3 to all resists as it isnt player made. Crafted dragon armor requires scales of some sort which will give you +10 in one resist and -3 in another. I suspect this is why you can not enhance it again. It would give dragon armor a slight advantage over armor crafted with other materials. That seems like a pretty fair advantage over free med leather armor, but too much of an advantage over other types of metal armor.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can not enhance crafted dragon armor. you get the message that it is already enhanced with a special material. I suspect the bane armor has the base +3 to all resists as it isnt player made. Crafted dragon armor requires scales of some sort which will give you +10 in one resist and -3 in another. I suspect this is why you can not enhance it again. It would give dragon armor a slight advantage over armor crafted with other materials. That seems like a pretty fair advantage over free med leather armor, but too much of an advantage over other types of metal armor.
I know this. I did extensive testing on Dragon Armor a while ago. I was just pointing out that there is dragon armor you can enhance. But, you can only enhance the bane stuff with certain scales, there was 1 or 2 that didn't work. I'd have to dig up my post/notes to see which ones.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't enhance it - but you can imbue it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, I agree, sorry. Bane invasion armor can be enhanced - but the resists on it are so poor in the first place, what would you achieve by enhancing it?
Imbuing crafted dragon armor gives a better chance of a useable suit I think?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, I agree, sorry. Bane invasion armor can be enhanced - but the resists on it are so poor in the first place, what would you achieve by enhancing it?
Yes. but even then, it's still pretty bad.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, the way I read it "equipping" the weapons removes the ability of the target to not be stun depending on their Magic Resist. If that's the case perhaps 2 identical imbued Wild Staves and just using Equip last Weapon to make it so your target cannot resist the stun occasionally.... Actually all of those mechanics having to do with # of hits are pretty lame and probably easy to get around imo.
I'm sure it's just a check to see if equiplastwep or unequip wep is used, but I'll have to test that a little more.

budman23

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With the one exception of Throwers, current mage vs warrior pvp has been extremely balanced for quite some time.
Really?
Considering there has never been any attempt in how many years to reduce the speed most dexxers physically move at?
Now add in the fact that most are ALWAYS swinging at 1.25 secs and add the fact this NEVER decreases due to no red pot timer.
Now add in the fact the casting delay timer not only for damage spells but also healing spells and the fact you cant move while you cast or cast on the run.
You call this balanced? Are you serious?

Stop complaining because it effects you, at least make a point, this is just blind complaining.

I would also challenge anyone who says these changes destroyed their suit (not their weapon) to explain what uber new suit i need to make. I think the community agreed this armour sucked.
But please be more elaborate so i can ridicule you further.

Last edited:

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if you need a full non medable armor for the SSI debuff or if 1 part is enough. Since Bleak said Mage Armor negates the armor piece's mana phase and SSI penalty and Gargoyles cant wear a full set of non medable parts, I guess 1 part is enough to have the flat 10% chance. Just to make that clear for me. ;)

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am torn on this publish.

First off let me say I studied all of the weapon/armor changes for well over 30 minutes and I can't even begin to comprehend 1/4 of the changes. I might just have to buy some gold from a webpage that can't be named, pay someone to make my suit, and hope they make me a good dexer suit.

My first thought when I read this was "Great it is going to make fighting a dexer a lot easier for me since I PvP on a mage"

My second thought was "OH CRAP!!!! There are sooooo many people who only know how to PvP on a dexer this could make them stop PvPing all together." Sadly there are so few PvPers now I am afraid that this big of changes to dexers will make them stop PvPing all around.

What I would prefer to see is a slow gradual change. For exampe, start out by putting a timer on mortal. Six months later lower the HCI on gargs from 50 to 45, 6 months later make another special move change. If there is a slow gradual change over a 2-3 year time frame hopefully players could see the writing on the wall and start learing to PvP on mages or make slow adjustments to their dexers so they remain usefull.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On top of this though warriors will now have to use initially slower weapons that will become even slower during the fight as stamina drops considerably.
There is a flaw in your logic. Why would stamina drop? A warrior would wear plate, which prevents stamina loss...

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first thought when I read this was "Great it is going to make fighting a dexer a lot easier for me since I PvP on a mage"

My second thought was "OH CRAP!!!! There are sooooo many people who only know how to PvP on a dexer this could make them stop PvPing all together." Sadly there are so few PvPers now I am afraid that this big of changes to dexers will make them stop PvPing all around.
Why the hell is everybody thinking, that dexers are getting nerfed? I don't get it.
Because of the weapons changes?
Because of the specials changes?
Surely not because auf the armor changes, because a dexer benefits from these, while mages are coming out on the short hand...

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why the hell is everybody thinking, that dexers are getting nerfed? I don't get it.
Because of the weapons changes?
Because of the specials changes?
Surely not because auf the armor changes, because a dexer benefits from these, while mages are coming out on the short hand...
  • Soul Glaive: Base damage 18-22 / Weapon Speed 4.5 seconds
  • Disarm, now applies a 10 second disarm immunity timer when performed using weapons. Wrestling moves are not subject to the immunity timer.
  • Mortal Strike, now grants eight second effect reduction once removed by non consumable and talisman items. Attempts to reapply Mortal Strike while the player is under effect reduction will scale the duration base on the last successful Mortal Strike.
  • Bleed, now grants five second effect reduction once removed. Attempts to reapply Bleed while the player is under effect reduction will scale the duration base on the last successful Bleed.
  • The Gargoyle race hit chance increase cap has been reduced from 50 to 45.
  • All stamina potions now operate on a global cooldown. Total refresh potions apply a ten second cooldown, refresh potions apply a two second cooldown, and faction refresh potions apply a two second cooldown.
  • Chivalry: Divine Fury stamina regenerated decreased to 2.5x duration from 4x duration.

And that is just from a player that has never PvPed with a dexer.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all of this is fine except the 10sec cooldown is too long on refresh pots. Also, i think they should make it so heavy armor makes it so you do not take ANY stam loss from damage.

if there is going to be a cool down, make it less, like 2 sec for regular, 4 sec for total or something. all negated by having gm alchemy

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • Soul Glaive: Base damage 18-22 / Weapon Speed 4.5 seconds
  • Disarm, now applies a 10 second disarm immunity timer when performed using weapons. Wrestling moves are not subject to the immunity timer.
  • Mortal Strike, now grants eight second effect reduction once removed by non consumable and talisman items. Attempts to reapply Mortal Strike while the player is under effect reduction will scale the duration base on the last successful Mortal Strike.
  • Bleed, now grants five second effect reduction once removed. Attempts to reapply Bleed while the player is under effect reduction will scale the duration base on the last successful Bleed.
  • The Gargoyle race hit chance increase cap has been reduced from 50 to 45.
  • All stamina potions now operate on a global cooldown. Total refresh potions apply a ten second cooldown, refresh potions apply a two second cooldown, and faction refresh potions apply a two second cooldown.
  • Chivalry: Divine Fury stamina regenerated decreased to 2.5x duration from 4x duration.
And that is just from a player that has never PvPed with a dexer.
If dexers only can be successful with just one single/specific weapon, soul glaive in this case, then there is something completely wrong with the whole system.
How can disarm be a nerf? A dexer has a 10 sec protection. And I assume, that lots of mages use a mage weapon for cheap 120 extra skill, so wrestling won't fit in here either.
Mortal strike: Ok, this is a nerf. But again, if PvP just revolves around this single special, then something is wrong.
Bleed: Now the duration will be halved, if bleed is reapplied in the exact same moment, as it is removed. Otherwise you just loose a few seconds. Not that worse...
Gargoyle HCI is evened out, so what. Not everyone plays a garg.
STamina arguments: Dexer will only loose stamina, when pushing through objects. Everything else will be prevented by heavier armor. Mages on the other hand will loose stamina with every hit they take. I can imagine, that they will have a hard time keeping their distance...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off autocorrect ftw...second of all I stated a timer for cure pots as well as dropping the cap on enhance pots for mages which would help dexxers unless the Mage decides to use skill points in alchemy..there is no reason a Mage or dexxer for that matter should be able to drink potions non stop. There should be a timer on ALL potions not just the select few
No man, it's listed as infectious strike in the patch notes. Wasn't saying you did the typo, they did.

Yeah i agree on a timer for all pots.

Actually i would like to see every restriction removed if not just to play around on test. I'm talking about toggling specs while casting, evade mages not having to have parry, 75 damage ai's, WoD archers, tact mages with ninja, nerve strike-ds tamers. That would add some extreme variety and would actually be fun to see all the different temps.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It does give it a better chance of being useable, but takes it completely out of the running for top end. Folks can imbue max intensity on leather then use the forging tool to top off resists. In the money is no object suit, leather still wins for many other resons.

Crafting/imbuing (with enhance)

Leather:
You can buy unlimited leather from npc's only farming the leather you need for the final enhance. You can then craft each piece over and over (recycling what you dont want) untill you roll the perfect resists from the arms lore bonus that will combine with your end enhance for perfect resist with no wasted points. This end result is a suit with little need for additional resists and a big pool of intensity points left over for other stuff... plus free med (140 intensity points per piece). 28% of your intensity pool per piece is a big bonus. All leather pieces can be crafted 100% exceptional without the need for special tools or talismans.

Bone:
You can buy bone from npcs in ter mur but they start at 20 in stock and you have to spend the day running it up, plus buy leather. Some bone armor isnt 100% exceptional chance at 120 tailoring with a good talisman. So again more needless time and resoures wasted crafting non exceptioanl pieces that cant be recycled.

Dragon:
You cant purchase dragon scales so you are stuck farming beasties that are much harder to come by. Blue, black and white scales come from critters in handfuls that spawn in low numbers and some are diffcult to dispatch quickly or find. Yellow and Red scales are easy to find if you farm Destard but you'd better be prepared. I use a specialized thrower with a bard in tow on auto follow for pretty good results. You can obtain the tools for 100% dragon scale pieces from BODs (+30 ASH).

Metal:
You can buy unlimited iron from npcs mining only the ore you need for enhance. But you are required to have invested 100 skill points in mining and do the RNG dance around the mountain. You could also raid NPC merchant ships or do quests for elixers to reduce time spent mining rare ores. FYI getting through verite elixer quests to unlock valorite will require 100 undead gargoyle medallions at an average of 1 per Medussa run. You can also obtain the ASH (+15) to 100% exceptional craft all plate pieces.

Runic crafting/Reforging:

Leather
Currently there are what.. 8(?) LBOD's that guaruntee barbed runics for rewards. All leather large and smalls can be bribed into larges that yield barbed runics. There there is much less bribing required to upgrade non barbed yielding BODs as you only need upgrade a maximum of 2 or 3 leather types and of course possibly quantity or exceptional upgrades.

Metal/Dragon/Bone
There is only 1 LBOD that I am aware of the guaruntees the valorite runic. There are other BODs that give valorite runics as rewards but only a chance at one. I have earned more +60ASH's and verites than I care to learning that lesson. I'm still not done researching high end runic rewards. as materials are more of a pain to come by. RNG mining drives me bonkers (short trip though). I have finally unlocked valorite elixer quests but you get only 1 quest every 24 hrs to convert 500 ingots. It takes 2000 ingots to fill a 20x val plate. I have done a lot of NPC merchant ship raiding. Oddly enough they prefer leather as well. I have looted 900 barbed leather from a single ship, enough to fill an entire barbed LBOD. However the most val ingots I have looted from one ship is 250, enough to fill 1/8th of a Val LBOD.

I have yet to get a val runic from any LBOD other than plate. Which takes 2/3rds of all armor BODs out of the running. Bribing plate larges and smalls into val LBODs requires a maximum of 8 ore type bribes plus potentially quantity and quality bribes. From time to time I will grab all low end non-exl smalls I have and go on a bribing spree. It actually costs alot less to bribe non-ex bods into the correct ore type then flip them to exceptional once you hit the end of the chain. And NPC smith bribing tends to conk out around the same number of bribes as tailoring, requiring a broader range of smiths to reach a similar end.

My point here is that there is a lot of effort involved in creating those billion gp suits. They dont just appear from nothing. In the end you want the path of least resistance through all the crafting, farming, questing and buying hurdles you have to jump to reach the end result. Honestly I absolutely love it.

I do get what they are trying to do here. Making stamina a key advantage to using non medable armor. I am totally behind that concept, it is pretty cool. But the advantage we add to non med armor better be pretty significant given that top quility metal/dragon/bone suits are much more difficult to produce than leather on many levels. Plus it is much harder to test these changes because we will have to craft metal suits similar to what we are using in our leather counterparts on production shards. Even with the resource cache we are given on test, this is dufficult to accomplish and frankly quite alot to ask. To those who say "dont knock it untill you test it", I don't think you fully appreciate what effort is required to test all of this. And we dont even have all the changes available to test with. We have been given only portion of the coming changes under the guise of "letting it bake" and "monitoring feedback".

But for what I can test, the more I run around TC getting the wind knocked out of my sails by non-phys damage, the more I am not liking these changes. We are getting a pretty huge nerf to all stamina refresh methods. We will feel the effect of those nerfs in all battle situations we encounter. However our metal armor benefits to counter those stam nerfs seem to be highly situational. It appears we would only see full benefits from metal armor through non casting/100% physical weapon wielding war vs war pvp and 100% physical hitting, non casting mobs, which would be pretty rare I think. I would really like some clarification on this.

Last edited:

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If dexers only can be successful with just one single/specific weapon, soul glaive in this case, then there is something completely wrong with the whole system.
How can disarm be a nerf? A dexer has a 10 sec protection. And I assume, that lots of mages use a mage weapon for cheap 120 extra skill, so wrestling won't fit in here either.
Mortal strike: Ok, this is a nerf. But again, if PvP just revolves around this single special, then something is wrong.
Bleed: Now the duration will be halved, if bleed is reapplied in the exact same moment, as it is removed. Otherwise you just loose a few seconds. Not that worse...
STamina arguments: Dexer will only loose stamina, when pushing through objects. Everything else will be prevented by heavier armor. Mages on the other hand will loose stamina with every hit they take. I can imagine, that they will have a hard time keeping their distance...

Unfortunately this is not true. I tested on TC1 with the heaviest armor possible and lost stamina in large amounts from taking physical damage and spell damage.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are both in agreement about the changes overall good, I just don't like how they are implimenting it. Instead of pushing out combate changes, armor changes, weapon changes, special move changes, and so on all in 1 publish I would prefer a slow gradual change.

I understand their reasoning for it to all be in one publish (so players won't have to keep making new suits) but anytime there are mass changes like this there is going to be a LOT of resistance, and some people quitting. If they quit UO all together, or just PvPing who knows, but I do know that right now there are not enough PvPers to have even 1 person quitting.

When I am fighting there is nothing that pisses me off more than chain mortal and chain poison, but do you know what pisses me off even more than that? Not having anyone to fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.