• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Origin event from Sept 20th

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Exactly but the uo businessman had a sense of entitlement that negativitly affects the rest of the players sometimes at the expense of a whole shard case im point Origin
Those that made that indecent scene on Origin aren't small businessman, but entitled big speculators.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Pays $10. Acts like he owns the place.
No: pay around 150 $ almost each month for 15 Accounts , don't use cheats, don't multibox and demand to play as I want and to be able to move MY STUFF from one Shard to another when and how I want, without having it Shard Bound without rime nor reason.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
let's eliminate them to reduce corruption in the game.
Nothing is going to reduce corruption in the game. The goal would be to make events suck less.
If someone does not like these events they are free not to participate by all means.
Yeah... That's what most players do because most of the events suck.

Also, I am not proposing any changes or recommending anything because that would be completely delusional. Just pointing out where the flaw in this system is.

All caps and bold fonts does not make this true.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I liked it back in the early days when the event items would drop on random bosses throughout the entirety of the event, and had to be looted. Seemed more random and actually encourged players to take part in the whole event and not just sit idle until the last 10minutes waiting for the EM to gate to the final boss.
Yeah the first year was great. Then Event Mods turned into Item Mods. Item drops became required, when it used to be up to the EM. :(

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not the same: the market would be a lot more limited, considering that the Collectors are mainly from ATL.

You can see what happened with the MEAGA-LAME "idea" to make the Dinamic Events Drops (i.e., the Armor Sets, not the Rewards) Shard Bound: they destroyed tens of small Traders-Collectors business.
I mean to a point it would but these weren’t really made to establish a business.
these are made for content with a reward being a drop for that shard.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
i don't think people would attend as much if they couldn't make 100s of millions and no one but an origin resident wants an item there
I’d like to think that would be a pro vs a con. I’d think events would be more enjoyable with a small to medium crowd vs the lag monsters we got now

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I mean to a point it would but these weren’t really made to establish a business.
these are made for content with a reward being a drop for that shard.
Says who? What is still unclear in the concept of SANDBOX GAME?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Says who? What is still unclear in the concept of SANDBOX GAME?
I’d ask you to define “business” in your example but it clearly states the intention of the program on UO.com:

Event Moderator and Shard Events

Event Moderators, EM(s), are on most shards and run unique events to bring community together, tell a story, and build interest in the game.

I guess you could argue semantics over the use of the term “Sandbox”.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about each shard only gets 3 drops a year and no one knows which event gets a drop not even the EMs

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Dude, you keep talking like others share your opinion...from this thread, it appears it's strictly yours...
Exactly: I DEMAND to be able to play the Game in the way *I* like.

I don't cheat, don't multibox, don't sell Items or Gold for RLM, don't break the TOS, so I DEMAND that the Devs don't disrupt without reasons MY style of play.

Others players play their style of game, different by mine, and on which I have nor interest nor right to interfere.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I’d ask you to define “business” in your example but it clearly states the intention of the program on UO.com:

Event Moderator and Shard Events

Event Moderators, EM(s), are on most shards and run unique events to bring community together, tell a story, and build interest in the game.

I guess you could argue semantics over the use of the term “Sandbox”.
Reread my posts: I was speaking of Dynamic Events Drops (i.e., Armor Sets pieces), not of EM Events & Items.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Players PAY to play, so it's THEIR Game.
well with that line of thinking, my tax's pay for public servants so they should do what i want them to do and i should be able to do what i want when i want, ya good luck with that let me know how that works out for ya bud.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
well with that line of thinking, my tax's pay for public servants so they should do what i want them to do and i should be able to do what i want when i want, ya good luck with that let me know how that works out for ya bud.
Yes, that's exactly as it should be: who pay (Citizens or Customers) have the right to decide. If you think differently I'm sad for you, but it's your choice to waste your freedom.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes, that's exactly as it should be: who pay (Citizens or Customers) have the right to decide. If you think differently I'm sad for you, but it's your choice to waste your freedom.
I'm fairly certain you have no idea how business works. As a customer, you have two rights:

1) Continue to pay for the services that the business provides.
2) Stop paying for services if you find them to not be what you prefer.

You seem to think that Broadsword should run the game as a democracy. It doesn't work and has never worked, primarily because individual players cannot see the negative effects of what they want.

Go ahead and demand whatever you like. They are not beholden to listen.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm fairly certain you have no idea how business works. As a customer, you have two rights:

1) Continue to pay for the services that the business provides.
2) Stop paying for services if you find them to not be what you prefer.

You seem to think that Broadsword should run the game as a democracy. It doesn't work and has never worked, primarily because individual players cannot see the negative effects of what they want.

Go ahead and demand whatever you like. They are not beholden to listen.
No: when a Customer pays and the Seller accept the money, the Seller must satisfy the customer reasonable requests.

Otherwise the Seller can simply refuse to sell his Product to that particular Customer.

Its almost unbelivable the level of psychological subjection I see around...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No: when a Customer pays and the Seller accept the money, the Seller must satisfy the customer reasonable requests.

Otherwise the Seller can simply refuse to sell his Product to that particular Customer.

I"m pretty sure my 10/mo only provides me with "access to the gaming server and client", can you copy/paste your agreement copy where yours says gameplay/content will be guaranteed to your satisfaction or your money back ?..waits

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

That is NOT how it works. You are paying for access to their servers. That's it. They can make changes to the game in any manner they choose. They have done so over the years, as we've all seen. At that point, you have two options, which I've already stated.

At this stage, I think you are either arguing just to argue, or you are clueless about how the real world works.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That is NOT how it works. You are paying for access to their servers. That's it. They can make changes to the game in any manner they choose. They have done so over the years, as we've all seen. At that point, you have two options, which I've already stated.

At this stage, I think you are either arguing just to argue, or you are clueless about how the real world works.
No: one pay to use the Services and MUST respecting the TOS that is implemented when he Subscribe, but the Seller has NO RIGHT to change the TOS in an arbitrary way whenever he choose.

And the fact that you don't understand this simple basic Truth, that the Customer (same as the Citizen) HAS RIGHTS, explains why the USA is going down the drain, and deserve so.

Last edited:

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I"m pretty sure my 10/mo only provides me with "access to the gaming server and client", can you copy/paste your agreement copy where yours says gameplay/content will be guaranteed to your satisfaction or your money back ?..waits
If you don't understand your Rights as a Customer it's YOUR problem.

Unfortunately too many "reason" in this way.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No: one pay to use the Services and MUST respecting the TOS that is implemented when he Subscribe, but the Seller has NO RIGHT to change the TOS in an arbitrary way whenever he choose.

And the fact that you don't understand this simple basic Truth, that the Customer HAS RIGHTS explains why the USA is going down the drain, and deserve so.
Please copy and paste the part of the TOS that discusses your right to be able to move any and all items from shard to shard. If you can't, your argument is over.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Please copy and paste the part of the TOS that discusses your right to be able to move any and all items from shard to shard. If you can't, your argument is over.
Please copy and paste the part of the TOS that says that I'm forbidden to move MY stuff from Shard to Shard and/or that the Seller has the right to block me to do it at his whim.

If you can't, your argument is over.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Please copy and paste the part of the TOS that says that I'm forbidden to move MY stuff from Shard to Shard and/or that the Seller has the right to block me to do it at his whim.

If you can't, your argument is over.
Under "Rights and Responsibilities"

(c) Rights. You acknowledge and agree that all characters created, and items acquired and developed as a result of game play are part of the Software and Service and are the sole property of Electronic Arts.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Under "Rights and Responsibilities"

(c) Rights. You acknowledge and agree that all characters created, and items acquired and developed as a result of game play are part of the Software and Service and are the sole property of Electronic Arts.
You know what is the sadder thing beside your specious interpretation of this point of the TOS in the context of the present discussion (EA is not BS)? That you accept as normal that a Company can demand to retain possession of what you pay for. I'm sure that the WEF is really happy to have people with this mentality around...

Last edited:

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You know what is the sadder thing beside your specious interpretation of this point of the TOS in the context of the present discussion (EA is not BS)? That you accept as normal that a Company can demand to keep possession of what you pay for.
The saddest this is that while I just showed you that what you deem "MY stuff" isn't actually yours at all, you still argue your incorrect point. If it is the property of EA, they have the right to dictate where you can and cannot take said items... kind of like blocking pets from entering certain areas (like Blackthorne's Castle).

Oh... and EA gave BS the job of running the day-to-day operations for them. The TOS is still the TOS, and you don't own ANYTHING in the game.

I'm done arguing with you now. I would imagine you'll continue to think you're correct... but the rest of us understand you're not.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The saddest this is that while I just showed you that what you deem "MY stuff" isn't actually yours at all, you still argue your incorrect point. If it is the property of EA, they have the right to dictate where you can and cannot take said items... kind of like blocking pets from entering certain areas (like Blackthorne's Castle).

Oh... and EA gave BS the job of running the day-to-day operations for them. The TOS is still the TOS, and you don't own ANYTHING in the game.

I'm done arguing with you now. I would imagine you'll continue to think you're correct... but the rest of us understand you're not.
The only thing that one with even a modicum of brains can understand is how strong is the sheeple mentality in too many people.

Have a nice day and don't forget your face napkin and you monthly C19 jab.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only thing that one with even a modicum of brains can understand is how strong is the sheeple mentality in too many people.

Have a nice day and don't forget your face napkin and you monthly C19 jab.
People like you should research Polio. Maybe we should bring that back so people like you can say it is not real.

Name one thing you asked for and the devs put it the game.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
People like you should research Polio. Maybe we should bring that back so people like you can say it is not real.

Come on now they listened to popps is that really the criteria we want to set

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran

And people like you should research "Sudden Death" and "mRNA Therapy" (that has nothing to do with "vaccine").

Beside this, the reply is none, mainly because I never asked for anything to be put in the game, but only that things that are already in are not removed arbitrarily.

But, seriously, not one of you is at least a little disturbed by how the power today is totally in the hands of Sellers?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But, seriously, not one of you is at least a little disturbed by how the power today is totally in the hands of Sellers?
That's called Capitalism. Posters make fun of me and call me names when I say something bad about it.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And people like you should research "Sudded Death" and "mRNA Therapy" (that has nothing to do with "vaccine").

Beside this, the reply is none, mainly because I never asked for anything to be put in the game, but only that things that are already in are not removed arbitrarily.

First... I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that politics entered into this debate, but I am. Shame, really. I do not wear a face mask and I haven't had a vaccination in over two years. You're incorrect about me, apparently.

Second... they make changes to the game all of the time, regardless of whether or not players like said changes. If you don't see that , it's on you. There are several shard bound items already in game. I would imagine we'll be seeing more of that as we move forward. I'm fine with it... in fact, I'd prefer it.

Your last question is silly. The seller only holds power if what they sell is desirable enough to be profitable. As a buyer, you have the power to simply walk away if you don't like changes that have been made. But make no mistake about it. If you do walk away, you can't take your things with you... because those things aren't yours. Hell... they're not even real.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Come on now they listened to popps is that really the criteria we want to set
They gave him the anti pilfer clicky, and you the anti boot fishing pole.

I got them to start adding new things to the huntsmaster rewards a while back.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
First... I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that politics entered into this debate, but I am. Shame, really. I do not wear a face mask and I haven't had a vaccination in over two years. You're incorrect about me, apparently.

Second... they make changes to the game all of the time, regardless of whether or not players like said changes. If you don't see that , it's on you. There are several shard bound items already in game. I would imagine we'll be seeing more of that as we move forward. I'm fine with it... in fact, I'd prefer it.

Your last question is silly. The seller only holds power if what they sell is desirable enough to be profitable. As a buyer, you have the power to simply walk away if you don't like changes that have been made. But make no mistake about it. If you do walk away, you can't take your things with you... because those things aren't yours. Hell... they're not even real.
1) Good for you! So let's put politic aside then, before having the posts censored.

2) And I prefer not. So why must I accept that they should make MY Items SB when I don't want them SB, and you accept yours not SB whem you want them SB?

3) And this is exactly the main point. Do you really not understand that the shifting of the focus from an EQILIBRIUM between the Buyers rights and the Seller ones, expecially with the infamous TOSes in the ICT that make all a "loan" (even, in some cases the hardware itself), is a total degeneration of the principle of Capitalism? Maybe you should re-read your Ayn Rand with a more attentive eye...

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That's called Capitalism. Posters make fun of me and call me names when I say something bad about it.
And this is exactly the main point. Do you really not understand that the shifting of the focus from an EQILIBRIUM between the Buyers rights and the Seller ones, expecially with the infamous TOSes in the ICT that make all a "loan" (even, in some cases the hardware itself), is a total degeneration of the principle of Capitalism? Maybe you should re-read your Ayn Rand with a more attentive eye...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And this is exactly the main point. Do you really not understand that the shifting of the focus from an EQILIBRIUM between the Buyers rights and the Seller ones, expecially with the infamous TOSes in the ICT that make all a "loan" (even, in some cases the hardware itself), is a total degeneration of the principle of Capitalism?
You bring this up when housing prices here are very high. Capitalism is based on greed. UO economy is probably a reflection of our economy. A small % of players having 90% of the wealth.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
1) Good for you! So let's put politic aside then, before having the posts censored.

2) And I prefer not. So why must I accept that they should make MY Items SB when I don't want them SB, and you accept yours not SB whem you want them SB?

3) And this is exactly the main point. Do you really not understand that the shifting of the focus from an EQILIBRIUM between the Buyers rights and the Seller ones, expecially with the infamous TOSes in the ICT that make all a "loan" (even, in some cases the hardware itself), is a total degeneration of the principle of Capitalism?
You still don't get it. When you pay your monthly subscription, you aren't buying anything. You are paying for access to the servers. It would be closer to say you're renting than buying.

If you were around for the introduction of Age of Shadows, you'd know that they took away a LOT at that time (silver weapons, vanquish weapons, etc.) They removed the necessity for item identification. They added four new skills to the game, altering templates. If I remember correctly, they did it without asking the playerbase if they wanted a multitude of fundamental changes to the gameplay. They just did it. People responded by either accepting the changes or stopping their subscription (I was part of of group two). Those were my options... adapt and accept the huge amounts of change to the game or quit.

Every expansion after that has done the same. Altered skills, new skills, new items, new mechanics... it's an ever-changing system, and the players don't really get a whole lot of say in it.

Don't like it? Change games. Of course, every other game does the exact same thing.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You bring this up when housing prices here are very high. Capitalism is based on greed. UO economy is probably a reflection of our economy. A small % of players having 90% of the wealth.
Thst's not Capitalism, it's Plutocratic Oligarchy, a final & fatal WEF-like degeneration of Capitalism. Again: re-read Ayn Rand.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
(...)

Don't like it? Change games. Of course, every other game does the exact same thing.
EXACTLY! And what is sad is that so many Customers (the ones that have the REAL power, being the ones tha PAY) accept it as Normal!

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EXACTLY! And what is sad is that so many Customers (the ones that have the REAL power, being the ones tha PAY) accept it as Normal!
You yourself accepted it when you accepted the Terms of Service.

Termination

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. THIS SECTION EXPLAINS WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR ACCOUNT IS TERMINATED.

Either you or Electronic Arts may terminate your Account at any time without further obligation to the other. Further, Electronic Arts reserves the rights to terminate the Service at any time without further obligation to you. IF THE SERVICE OR YOUR ACCOUNT IS TERMINATED OR CANCELED AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON, YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING: (1) YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ANY REFUND OR PRORATION OF ANY FEES OR UNUSED ACCESS TIME; (2) YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ANY CHARACTERS DEVELOPED OR ITEMS ACCUMULATED AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TRANSFER, SELL OR ASSIGN ANY CHARACTERS OR ITEMS TO ANYONE ELSE; (3) YOU MAY NOT ACCESS THE SERVICE IN ANY MANNER OR FOR ANY REASON, INCLUDING VIA ANY OTHER ACCOUNT. IN THE EVENT THAT AN ACCOUNT IS TERMINATED, Electronic Arts MAY TERMINATE ANY AND ALL OTHER ACCOUNTS THAT SHARE THE MEMBER NAME, PHONE NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS, INTERNET PROTOCOL ADDRESS OR CREDIT CARD NUMBER WITH THE TERMINATED ACCOUNT.

You are renting. Enjoy being one of the sheep.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You yourself accepted it when you accepted the Terms of Service.

Termination

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. THIS SECTION EXPLAINS WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR ACCOUNT IS TERMINATED.

Either you or Electronic Arts may terminate your Account at any time without further obligation to the other. Further, Electronic Arts reserves the rights to terminate the Service at any time without further obligation to you. IF THE SERVICE OR YOUR ACCOUNT IS TERMINATED OR CANCELED AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON, YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING: (1) YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ANY REFUND OR PRORATION OF ANY FEES OR UNUSED ACCESS TIME; (2) YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ANY CHARACTERS DEVELOPED OR ITEMS ACCUMULATED AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TRANSFER, SELL OR ASSIGN ANY CHARACTERS OR ITEMS TO ANYONE ELSE; (3) YOU MAY NOT ACCESS THE SERVICE IN ANY MANNER OR FOR ANY REASON, INCLUDING VIA ANY OTHER ACCOUNT. IN THE EVENT THAT AN ACCOUNT IS TERMINATED, Electronic Arts MAY TERMINATE ANY AND ALL OTHER ACCOUNTS THAT SHARE THE MEMBER NAME, PHONE NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS, INTERNET PROTOCOL ADDRESS OR CREDIT CARD NUMBER WITH THE TERMINATED ACCOUNT.

You are renting. Enjoy being one of the sheep.
You still don't get it: the difference is that I accept it "instrumentally", where you think it is acceptable IN ITSELF! :p

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You still don't get it: the difference is that I accept it "instrumentally", where you think it is acceptable IN ITSELF! :p
Now I know you're just trolling. Nobody could be that thick and still be able to type a complete sentence.

I look forward to your goodbye rant post when items are made shard-bound more and more often. Enjoy till then!

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Now I know you're just trolling. Nobody could be that thick and still be able to type a complete sentence.

I look forward to your goodbye rant post when items are made shard-bound more and more often. Enjoy till then!
This will never happen. Have a nice day! :cool:

PS: And consider that English is not even my native tongue...;)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The truth is @SteelRust thinks he is entitled to buy these event armor sets for Atlantic prices and move them to Europa so he doesn't have to pay Europa prices. We've been over this before on the dumpster fire forums. He could buy them on Europa, he just refuses to. He could have had the foresight to pay someone to farm them for him, but he didn't. So now, his only option is to cry about it on forums every chance he gets.

If you want to be a "collector" of things in a game that's great. But, if you suck at being a collector of things in a game, well.... that shouldn't be anyone else's problem.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The truth is @SteelRust thinks he is entitled to buy these event armor sets for Atlantic prices and move them to Europa so he doesn't have to pay Europa prices. We've been over this before on the dumpster fire forums. He could buy them on Europa, he just refuses to. He could have had the foresight to pay someone to farm them for him, but he didn't. So now, his only option is to cry about it on forums every chance he gets.

If you want to be a "collector" of things in a game that's great. But, if you suck at being a collector of things in a game, well.... that shouldn't be anyone else's problem.
Well... the subscription entitles one access to the servers. That's about it.

Perhaps someone should go out and try to get armor set pieces him/herself or pay shard market value for them. Or, you know, get a few friends to trade items around as I have.

Of course, one would need to be able to make friends in the first place. /snark

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well... the subscription entitles one access to the servers. That's about it.

Perhaps someone should go out and try to get armor set pieces him/herself or pay shard market value for them. Or, you know, get a few friends to trade items around as I have.

Of course, one would need to be able to make friends in the first place. /snark
Sorry, I blocked that obnoxious "person" you reply to, so I'm NOT interested in reading his useless posts, ever.

Beside this, again, you want me to play UO as YOU think is the "right" way to play it. And, again, there is NO "right" way to play a SANDBOX GAME. Lastly, you have no idea about my ability (or interest) in making friend, so your remark is baseless.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Make EM drops go away totally and all the problems go away ;)

I wish!

I enjoy the events...I enjoy the storylines, I enjoy people getting together and doing stuff together...it is, after all, a Multi-Player game....

Throw in EM drops that are worth $$$$

All hell breaks loose....

Just get rid of em...ugh!
I would not mine if the EM drops were Shard bound, I would still attend those events but then would sell the drop to someone on that shard. Far cheaper most likely. The items would remain on that shard to become its history.