• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Origin event from Sept 20th

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good afternoon, I have heard from a number of people regarding the event last night on Origin. I just wanted to take the time to say I hear you, and the EM in question hears you. In the nearly 15 years this Event Moderator program has been live we constantly strive to put on fun and exciting events for our players. Sometimes the best laid plans still result in technical difficulties. These difficulties were not intentional and this particular EM is deeply regretful the event did not go as planned. It is my hope players will join me in giving […]

Continue reading...

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ohhhhhhhh drama!
what happened!!!!!
Not much, I have seen far far worse over the years.

Boss was OP, people complained like crazy (Pulled you in, acid, exodus stuff, etc)

EM tried to fix it but accidently nerfed it too much, Boss died REALLY fast (Like it went from 100 to dead in 3 seconds)

People complained , with a lot of people taking it way too far.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I'm willing to bet no drop and offsharders are butt hurt
as far as I know only 7 people got a drop
OriginSep20.jpg

we were fighting it for 20 Mins
and got it down to 80%
apparently everyone was dead at one point
and it regenerated its health

then someone complained and told the EM just to place a gate so we could leave
or do something to its health

then it was at 96% and then 0% in a blink of an eye

====

like Promathia said
it had the Zipy gas attack with an Exodus bursts
and it would pull you in, when your pet was alive
(someone was healing my pet, so it kept pulling me in)

And then once, when my pet was dead
I got rez'd and went into the very top corner
farthest from the boss
and it pulled me in & rez killed me
(never saw that before)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
yep I was res killed myself, got back, res/heal my pet went to attack and just as I click "All Kill" the bar vanished

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It warranted a message on the home page because there were a few people, one in particular, who were being EXTREMELY rude...telling Rainstormer that he needed to quit his job, go back to flipping burgers, stop rigging the events so that he could give all his friends drops...he just kept going on and on an ON.

For a 26 year old game, most of it's players are in their 40's or older? The behavior I witnessed last night was....I really have no words...it was horrible. I am sure Mesanna received TONS of emails about it, how horrible EM Rainstormer is, etc. etc. Which he is NOT.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya someone ordered a Drama Supreme.

Pretty normal to over or underestimate the Boss power and then try to adjust while selfish players are screaming at you.

Least there were drops, usually the issues are when the drop part does not work.

So, now there is too much communication? :lol:

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I felt so sorry for EM Rainstormer.
I left after a few minutes because the comments were so horrible.

EM Rainstormer has some awesome events
didn't deserve those comments

the EM should have just pulled the boss up onto the mountain
and adjusted its stats instead of while most were dead

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is the same "known" people who come to events and speak the way they do, because they know there will be no repercussion. If you want to know who it was, just goto Atlantic and sit in gen chat for 2 minutes, you will see striking similarities to what was said to the origin EM and what is being said non stop all day on Atlantic.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Make EM drops go away totally and all the problems go away ;)

I wish!

I enjoy the events...I enjoy the storylines, I enjoy people getting together and doing stuff together...it is, after all, a Multi-Player game....

Throw in EM drops that are worth $$$$

All hell breaks loose....

Just get rid of em...ugh!

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Make EM drops go away totally and all the problems go away ;)

I wish!

I enjoy the events...I enjoy the storylines, I enjoy people getting together and doing stuff together...it is, after all, a Multi-Player game....

Throw in EM drops that are worth $$$$

All hell breaks loose....

Just get rid of em...ugh!
When the off sharders came and out voted the origin players on start times and days i was done

mihali

Sage
No. EM events are good, bring community from all over together, and are part of the game. There are some overgrown children in the game immature enough to spout off like that, in their 40's 50's and 60's. Why punish every player by nuking the EM's one way or another due to these people's behaviour? Keep EM's as they are, they create interest for pple to play the game, and someone who spouts off insults put in "jail" for a few minutes and have a little talk with them. Let them know that like in real life, things can go wrong. Also that it is just a video game. Try to keep it civil, and quit spewing poison if things don't go their way or go wrong.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've said this before:

EM events should be a sort of historic moment for a shard. The rewards for completing such an event should be little more than a memento showing that the recipient of the reward was there and helped contribute to that moment. The rewards should be destroyed should they ever leave the hands of the account which obtained them in any fashion.

Unfortunately, it seems the only metric that the staff worrys about is participation in the events. The ability to trade these rewards brings about false participation numbers in the events, which eliminates the need for an EM to come up with a decent idea for a good story or contribute to the shard in a meaningful way. This is probably the main contributer to the death of role-play in the game. The EM program is a beautiful idea at heart and even the rewards are not necessarily a bad idea to encourage participation, but the ability to trade the rewards killed it.

mihali

Sage
This is just one perspective.
Agree that there are inflated participation numbers due to multi-clienting (legal and illegal version), but clearly there are a lot of players in these events, and pretty hard to believe that everyone is multiclienting with 4-7 accounts.
" the ability to trade the rewards killed it" : How?
Also there is a perspective among many seasoned playes that just the opposite may be true: The ability to trade rewards makes EMs more interesting, and also a way for young players to first of all create and develop characters and develop skills enough to be able to participate, plus a little possible revenue to finance their game rather than resort to gold seller websites.

Elizaer

Adventurer
It warranted a message on the home page because there were a few people, one in particular, who were being EXTREMELY rude...telling Rainstormer that he needed to quit his job, go back to flipping burgers, stop rigging the events so that he could give all his friends drops...he just kept going on and on an ON.

For a 26 year old game, most of it's players are in their 40's or older? The behavior I witnessed last night was....I really have no words...it was horrible. I am sure Mesanna received TONS of emails about it, how horrible EM Rainstormer is, etc. etc. Which he is NOT.
Yeah that was bad, and it's getting like that on a lot of shards. Acting like some do at these events should be a no warning/perma ban. You're right, the VAST majority in this game are well over 40, but can't seem to quit acting like 12 year old Fortnite players.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The EM program continues to evolve based on feedback so I applaud the program's leader (Mesanna) willingness to listen and make adjustments. I've been attending these events since the beginning and have probably played under 75-100 EMs now. They are just people like us who enjoys the game and are willing to offer an aspect of the game play to those who enjoys them. However, given the various demands from players, it is certainly understandable trying to please everyone is nearly impossible. But, there could be some implementations that could mitigate some of these continuous problems while at the same time maximize the positives for all:

1. Some people attend the events for items, story arch, or just like to bash monsters so why not:
a. do what GL EMs does by keeping their 2 drops per month for the last two events of every month. They are consistent in what they do and everyone can manage their expectations.
b. If all shards did that, then those players who only want the items will show up during those peak times and those who don't want the items but enjoy the story can attend the other events with much better lag and less crowd.

2. Make the boss fights more reasonable. Players already spend 50 min of their time doing the event and there is no reason why the boss needs to be so difficult to take down. It's like running a 400 meter dash with the last 100 meter at a 45 degree angle. Makes no sense.
a. in addition, making the boss fight able by all classes gives everyone a fair chance of getting that prize. Many shards already doing that so it's much appreciated.

3. There are thousands of images in the game, if possible, give a little more thought on item creation. Case in point, pigs have been dropped 37 times!

Minor tweaks can greatly improve the experience over time.

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked it back in the early days when the event items would drop on random bosses throughout the entirety of the event, and had to be looted. Seemed more random and actually encourged players to take part in the whole event and not just sit idle until the last 10minutes waiting for the EM to gate to the final boss.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Make EM drops go away totally and all the problems UO Game goes away

(...)
There, fixed for you.

EM Items & Gold selling are 90% of the direct and indirect money flow that keeps UO alive. We all know this.

DISCLAIMER: I don't do EM Events and don't sell Gold.

SR

Last edited:

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
(...)
3. There are thousands of images in the game, if possible, give a little more thought on item creation. Case in point, pigs have been dropped 37 times!
(...)
That's ONLY 37 time.

Pal, you really don't understand the "Collector Mentality", isn't? :) ;)

SR

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Imagine being a grown up that whines cries and goes full Karen because of something like this. Children like this are why I quit doing EM events. EM Rainstormer is a very good EM and did a great job on the ones I attended before giving up on them totally.

Onixia The Paladin

Journeyman
Governor
I have been appalled at the lack of empathy from people who think they should get a drop because they waited until the final gate dropped to hit the boss while they spent the entire event sitting on the sidelines or waiting in the EM area. Then when something goes wrong, they scream and yell and say vile nasty things to a really nice guy like EM Rainstormer. I know for a fact that he doesn't hand out drops to his "friends" like other are claiming. Other wise I would have every single drop ever on origin being a Governor and Origin player. These people are what make a fun game into something unpleasant. If even half of the things they said and called Rainstormer that night and other nights that things didn't go their way was said to them they would be crying and hiring lawyers for how badly they were being treated. Do us a favour and don't come to Origin EM events if you are going to be a nasty troll. You are not welcome! And on a final note, EM Rainstormer is a great EM and does a lot for his shard.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The vile comments toward the EM over not getting a drop due to the bugged boss is beyond the pale. It's simply greed for these silly pixels on the worst level. The folks behind the worst of the remarks are amongst the lowest of the low, and sadly, that includes some well-known traders. The garbage spewed after the event was worse than just infantile - it was malice. Some of these trolls think that because they are behind a computer screen that there is no limit to the awful things they can say. I'm disgusted.

There certainly have been a number of events with bugged bosses - a theme that has grown in recent months and needs more than just lip service to address the mechanics of this. No doubt some of the complaints are valid, especially when structured and presented in a manner that is respectful and thoughtful - but there is no excuse for the level of vitriol over the topic.

Cheers to those who take the high road and fight the good fight.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There, fixed for you.

EM Items & Gold selling are 90% of the direct and indirect money flow that keeps UO alive. We all know this.

DISCLAIMER: I don't do EM Events and don't sell Gold.

SR
I've seen similar statements said regularly. If this were true, to whom would the gold sellers be selling... each other? There has to be buyers for there to be sellers. You can't assume the gold sellers are running multiple accounts to satisfy the remaining 10%, since it's highly doubtful the 10% would be buying enough from the 90% for it to be viable.

Do the math. This doesn't make any sense at all.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I've seen similar statements said regularly. If this were true, to whom would the gold sellers be selling... each other? There has to be buyers for there to be sellers. You can't assume the gold sellers are running multiple accounts to satisfy the remaining 10%, since it's highly doubtful the 10% would be buying enough from the 90% for it to be viable.

Do the math. This doesn't make any sense at all.
That's exactly as it is, even if the proprtions are different. IMO a 20-25% of "players" with multiple accounts (HUNDREDS of them, including the "mules") pay the bulk of the subs, another 30-35% of "normal" players buy their "services" and the remaining are "normal normal" players. I repeat: these IMO are the PLAYERS proportions.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's exactly as it is, even if the proprtions are different. IMO a 20-25% of "players" with multiple accounts (HUNDREDS of them, including the "mules") pay the bulk of the subs, another 30-35% of "normal" players buy their "services" and the remaining are "normal normal" players. I repeat: these IMO are the PLAYERS proportions.
I would like to see hard numbers... not someone's estimates. Until then, you're just speculating.

Back to the original topic, I find the EM events relatively toxic, so I don't participate in them. Between the constant complaints and the lag issues I seem to have every time, I just don't bother.

I make my own fun. It's easier.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would like to see hard numbers... not someone's estimates. Until then, you're just speculating.

Back to the original topic, I find the EM events relatively toxic, so I don't participate in them. Between the constant complaints and the lag issues I seem to have every time, I just don't bother.

I make my own fun. It's easier.
Some of them are fun, i really like the family stories on Cats, where we are theives.

I do bring 4 accounts, and do well for myself. But when things get hairy, i panic, and soon i have 4 dead toons.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is just one perspective.
Agree that there are inflated participation numbers due to multi-clienting (legal and illegal version), but clearly there are a lot of players in these events, and pretty hard to believe that everyone is multiclienting with 4-7 accounts.
The Multi-clienting/Multiboxing is a product of the rewards being tradable.

" the ability to trade the rewards killed it" : How?
I find the EM events relatively toxic, so I don't participate in them. Between the constant complaints and the lag issues I seem to have every time, I just don't bother.
Children like this are why I quit doing EM events.
This is how most people feel about their shard's events. When players won't go to their own shard's events because of the trash players that are only there for rewards, why even do the event? Why not just hand out rewards?

Also there is a perspective among many seasoned playes that just the opposite may be true: The ability to trade rewards makes EMs more interesting,
No. There is nothing interesting about rewards other than their "value." Most of the rewards are for sale 30 seconds after they're obtained.

and also a way for young players to first of all create and develop characters and develop skills enough to be able to participate, plus a little possible revenue to finance their game rather than resort to gold seller websites.
If a new player went to one of these events, they would uninstall the game immediately. I promise, no new players are attending these events more than once.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Odd that a single botched EM event warrants a message on the UO homepage but when people were begging for some sort of update for the first half of the year it was radio silence.
I think their communication has improved greatly. I’m glad to see the effort put in, good for the dev team for stepping up.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Does it though? They can still sell it on the same shard and transfer the gold.
i don't think people would attend as much if they couldn't make 100s of millions and no one but an origin resident wants an item there

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Does it though? They can still sell it on the same shard and transfer the gold.
Not the same: the market would be a lot more limited, considering that the Collectors are mainly from ATL.

You can see what happened with the MEAGA-LAME "idea" to make the Dinamic Events Drops (i.e., the Armor Sets, not the Rewards) Shard Bound: they destroyed tens of small Traders-Collectors business.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
no one but an origin resident wants an item there
I don't even think an Origin resident would care about a reward from an event that they didn't attend or had no significant impact on the shard unless it was a cool item, but the EM items are mainly rehued garbage. Even then, they likely wouldn't pay 100s of millions of gold for it.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not the same: the market would be a lot more limited, considering that the Collectors are mainly from ATL.

You can see what happened with the MEAGA-LAME "idea" to make the Dinamic Events Drops (i.e., the Armor Sets, not the Rewards) Shard Bound: they destroyed tens of small Traders-Collectors business.
See the fact that you feel someone's business is important says everything

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
they destroyed tens of small Traders-Collectors business.
I would argue that they didn't "destroy their business." They made it so that people who play the game and farm the rewards are rewarded instead of rewarding those who just trade items across shards. The truth is that the items are available to collect from the people who farmed them, but you have to pay what those who farmed them want, because that is how markets work. I've explained this to @SteelRust before, he probably doesn't remember.

Onixia The Paladin

Journeyman
Governor
I don't even think an Origin resident would care about a reward from an event that they didn't attend or had no significant impact on the shard unless it was a cool item, but the EM items are mainly rehued garbage. Even then, they likely wouldn't pay 100s of millions of gold for it.
One of the recent rewards was the Head of a Corrupt Governor of New Magincia. That event was designed around the current governors on Origin and was quite desired by all of us.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One of the recent rewards was the Head of a Corrupt Governor of New Magincia. That event was designed around the current governors on Origin and was quite desired by all of us.
What's the participation difference between non-drop origin events and drop events? If it's for fun story line and love of the game it should be equal but it's not

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
See, that's cool. To have a reward that is actually significant to the shard. Good on EM Rainstormer for that. Unfortunately, it was probably awarded to someone who doesn't even play on Origin and for sale on Atlantic 10 minutes after it dropped.

I bet EMs like Rainstormer could do a lot of cool things like that, but really, with players that only care about the prizes and the value of them, why even try? I almost applied to be an EM when they were taking applications, but then I thought about this and just couldn't bring myself to do it.

mihali

Sage
I would agree that EM events and EM drops bring out the best and the worst in some people. But they bring people together, undeniably.
EM events and EM drops have been present for many years and some people are participating a lot of times on account of those, and I know several people who log in only to go to the EM events anymore.
What is being proposed by some of the posters is to get rid of EM Events and EM drops completely, to make them shard bound, and do other things that are not implemented on the game right now regarding these EM events and drops.
It is said that when EM drops occur people sell them immediately to make that 100 million, so let's eliminate them to reduce corruption in the game. That statement has no logic that is solid. It is said that due to multi-boxing EM events and drops should be changed.
If that is the case then let's eliminate power scrolls been contested, on contested grounds, and let's make them dropped from less intense activities, with less challenge and danger.
The same thing can be said about other drops from the roof for instance etc. Let's make the drop rate from the roof encounters much less frequent.
Let's eliminate activities and things that actually increase participation in the game. How beneficial do you think that any of these would be to the present state of the game?
I think we should leave things as they are, EM events and EM drops are not corrupting the game, they should not be shard bound, and should not be eliminated, and should be fostered to bring more people together.
In addition these EM events encourage players to improve their skills, improve their armors etc. and improve their gameplay and skills so they can also have a chance at getting a drop.

If someone does not like these events they are free not to participate by all means.

Otherwise the opinions of all posters about this matter whether they are playing the game or not, whether they're playing at the present time or not is greatly appreciated due to their past experience, having been part of the game for numbers of years.

However we do not want or intend to recommend things that would damage the game in the long run.
This is just one person's opinion who has limited amount of time to play due to RL obligations, and this person has accumulated three EM drops that he's not selling, their belongings only amounting to less than one plat, and this less than one plat has been generated through hard work in the seasonal events and taming premium pets and selling them. The fun in my opinion is in playing the game and not accumulating plats.

mihali

Sage
I also believe that inappropriate behavior during these events should be dealt with right away and at that point. For instance as said before the said player with all the insults in a derogatory statements about the GM should be promptly removed from the scene by someone else so that the EM event can go uninterrupted, and he or she should be asked appropriate questions as to their behavior, should be stopped from continuing the event at that point, and probably actioned against, due to disruptive behavior. That should happen then and there especially in a circumstance like this.
If they continue to have disruptive behavior further action should be taken.
These people are not children, they are grown ups, as mentioned before in their 40 to 60 years of age, and they should know better and have more appropriate reactions to mishaps including bugs and errors in the game, and not to be spouting off insults especially against GM that has done so nicely for the game overall.
They spoil the game for all participants, increase negative sentiment, spoil the fun, and give everyone a black eye. The GM's should have a license by the developersto action these players appropriately, and not be afraid that the game will new subscriptions.
The only a few and the spoil the game for everyone, and create unnecessary fuss.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I beg you pardon? Obviously I care when some IN GAME business model (i.e., some Player GAMING STYLE) is destroyed by foolish Devs's decisions. Shouldn't you too?
No i don't think a player in game busy should impact developer decision