• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Next Round of Publish 97 Updates to TC1

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I notice that now as it's strength increases it's hit points don't. Is there a cap where hit points stop gaining as strength gains?
I think this line in the publish notes answers that one:
Pets will no longer gain in derived stats (HP, Mana, Stamina) with increases in Strength, Intelligence, and Dexterity if they already above 125.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think taming requirements relating to pet slots and enhanced pet powers is something that still needs to be addressed. A friend was able to transfer to my non-taming warrior a dog trained to 3 slots. I've not tried transfering a 5 slot pet to her. I'm not at all sure a crafter should be the owner and controller of a 5 slot fire or giant beetle.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think taming requirements relating to pet slots and enhanced pet powers is something that still needs to be addressed. A friend was able to transfer to my non-taming warrior a dog trained to 3 slots. I've not tried transfering a 5 slot pet to her. I'm not at all sure a crafter should be the owner and controller of a 5 slot fire or giant beetle.
Interesting. I was actually testing trained pets that required no taming to control yesterday. I kept raising the taming and lore for a 2 control and 3 control slot creature until I was able to actually transfer and it was at 40 taming/lore and 60 taming/lore respectively. I haven't tried a 4 slot one yet, but my guess would've been 80 for those. When did you test it?

I know there was one day I was testing and they did a server reboot which updated things with regard to the control slots. Was the dog possibly tamed before this update?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this line in the publish notes answers that one:
I still have questions, however. When I fully train up a weak pet, like a dog or mongbat, it usually winds up with hit points in the 100-125 range, improving as it's stats improve. If I use the new training on a pet that already has 100 hit points to raise it to say, 600, does it save me some training points or is it a set cost to get to 600 no matter how many hit points they had before?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Set cost I believe, I think in the same way imbuing overwrites, so does pet training - except for the pets you can't overwrite lower. My rune beetle has 87 poison resist, I can't lower that to the 80 cap, so one or more of his other resists are going to have to be lower.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting. I was actually testing trained pets that required no taming to control yesterday. I kept raising the taming and lore for a 2 control and 3 control slot creature until I was able to actually transfer and it was at 40 taming/lore and 60 taming/lore respectively. I haven't tried a 4 slot one yet, but my guess would've been 80 for those. When did you test it?

I know there was one day I was testing and they did a server reboot which updated things with regard to the control slots. Was the dog possibly tamed before this update?
hmm, that was several days ago. I think perhaps a re-try is in order. Thanks for that.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if anyone has replied, but I'll share my findings from today. I was working with pets who required no taming to control, like dogs, rabbits, birds, and horses. Training them up to a 2 control slot creature requires 40 taming and lore to control them, but I had no issues with them obeying commands. Training these up to a 3 control slot required 60 taming and lore to control them. I haven't tried the pack animals yet but I think it might run along the same lines.
Man, you could run 60/60 lore and taming, and 100 vet, and have a pretty solid meat shield, with feint. Supplement that with 120 weapon, 120 tactics, 120 anatomy, 120 chiv, and you'd probably have a pretty viable set up. May not be able to solo champs or anything, but it could be a fun variant.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks for the replies on this, Sablestorm.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I notice that you can adjust damage directly. Does strength affect the actual damage on top of that?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man, you could run 60/60 lore and taming, and 100 vet, and have a pretty solid meat shield, with feint. Supplement that with 120 weapon, 120 tactics, 120 anatomy, 120 chiv, and you'd probably have a pretty viable set up. May not be able to solo champs or anything, but it could be a fun variant.
Yeah, I'm really eager to play new characters with 40/40 and 60/60 taming and various character builds.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I don't think many people would care if a true tradesman or tradeswomen had a beetle trained to 3 or maybe 4 slots
Not like they are going to fight with it or go to feel and pk others. I feel an exception should be made.
If a trades person has at least 500 points in trade skills they can control a level 3 or 4 a lot pet.
It's the only defense they have.

Unless your a fel pker that wants a super easy kill then ya I guess you should take the beetle completely away from them

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way this thread is shaping out, it's looking like every template is gonna need Taming.....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use a similar build now. Kinda like a glass cannon. GD goes in I come in and AI. UEV's go down under a minute. With the pets now able to use weapon specials as you noted above this build becomes much more viable. I'm actually excited about getting my tamer out again.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He transfered it, but i'd be willing ti bet he couldn't control it from what i saw last night. I trained up a 3 slot horse andi couldn't control it with 30 taming/lore but i could with about 80% success at 60 taming/lore

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone mentioned it, but one more gate on TC that allows the pet to train its skills to max would be nice as well. Maybe even a way to ask for power scrolls in bank too.

Theres only so much testing you can do of the animal for instance when you give it bushido or discordance, but its skill is too low to use.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way this thread is shaping out, it's looking like every template is gonna need Taming.....
From what I have seen, many players don't want to deal with leading pets around. On every shard right now, if you have Stygian Abyss, you can lead around two lowland bouras on characters without taming. All my SA characters have two in the stables but as far as I know, I'm the only one who does this on Pacific.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depending on how internal testing goes, targeting this week. Keep an eye on UO.com for the latest updates!
That's great, but can you divert a GM to Europa to deal with my issue ive had pending for a while now.
When are GM's online on Europa by the way so I know not to sit around wasting my time? :)

nb, Thanks so much :D

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From what I have seen, many players don't want to deal with leading pets around. On every shard right now, if you have Stygian Abyss, you can lead around two lowland bouras on characters without taming. All my SA characters have two in the stables but as far as I know, I'm the only one who does this on Pacific.
It's more than leading. Boura's make the most sense for melee characters (Casters have summons). But melee characters have no way to heal the bouras. A second big problem is that if you rely on bouras for tanking, once it dies (and it will since you can't heal it), you have no way to rez it in the field. So for me, fighting pets on a non-tamer are kind of more hassle than they are worth.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as PvM goes, even the top pets on TC still will not outdamage melee by a long shot and will not out tank them either. On top of that, there are still no top tier pets that can do pure elemental damage. Casters will still out DPS tamers too. So I think even with boosted pets, taming will remain one of viable PvM templates rather than a dominant one.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a crafter, miner and lumberjack and my hope is to be able to just get my blue beetle on my lumberjack and fire beetle on my miner to enough hitpoints where they won't die in one hit and will help protect me a bit while i inviz, switch to a weapon, or run. I am a PVMer, not a PVPer. I don't want them for serious fighting, only to stay alive longer and do a little protect me when we get set on by some critter.

I am also an archer and I ride a swamp dragon that when I get dismounted dies to one or two hits from the mob, I'd love for him to have more points so at least I could get back on him before he dies after my dismount wears off.

Oh and PLEEEZZZZZ @Bleak @Kyronix Give us some other choices for the player damage absorb like the swampy instead of having to ride the one and only mount that does this and is plug ugly and so big we can't even maneuver around easily.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's more than leading. Boura's make the most sense for melee characters (Casters have summons). But melee characters have no way to heal the bouras. A second big problem is that if you rely on bouras for tanking, once it dies (and it will since you can't heal it), you have no way to rez it in the field. So for me, fighting pets on a non-tamer are kind of more hassle than they are worth.
Actually you can heal your pet with Chivalry... it's not very great but you can do it.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as PvM goes, even the top pets on TC still will not outdamage melee by a long shot and will not out tank them either. On top of that, there are still no top tier pets that can do pure elemental damage. Casters will still out DPS tamers too. So I think even with boosted pets, taming will remain one of viable PvM templates rather than a dominant one.
Have you seen what a tank specced Cu Sidhe or Saurosaurus can do? Cu Sidhe bandage heals itself, and the Saurosaurus has Life Leech.
Fire Beetles deal 100% Fire Damage (and so greatly benefit from Corpse Skin and Inferno), and can reach 5 Slots.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As it stands now, are you not given the option to train dragon turtles and greater dragons?
Kyronix said that it is possible to tame a 4 Control Slot GD, Turtle, or Shadow Wyrm, and train it, but it has to spawn with really crappy stats/resists/skills.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I'm pondering about, why are actual Tamers being penalised?
Those that have actually taken the time to train up their Turtles or dragons to max.......under the new system will be 5 slot and thus not trainable?
Do you really think an "old" pet trained under the old system will be on the same par with the same type of pet trained under the new system??
There's so much about this new system I don't get yet...:stretcher:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Those that have actually taken the time to train up their Turtles or dragons to max.......under the new system will be 5 slot and thus not trainable?
Do you really think an "old" pet trained under the old system will be on the same par with the same type of pet trained under the new system??
You are not alone...

But I'm told that you shouldn't get attached to your pixels... and you should embrace the new and throw out the old... Personally this is not going to happen... I'm still irked at not getting more stable slots... doesn't matter what they add...... there is no room at the inn... and I'm not tossing my beloved pets.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Look at Medusa blood for insured pet ress Potion. And as mentioned before chiv for healing

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kyronix said that it is possible to tame a 4 Control Slot GD, Turtle, or Shadow Wyrm, and train it, but it has to spawn with really crappy stats/resists/skills.
This is why I think this system should just be based on type, not on stats. It seems really dumb that people will be out on the hunt for the ****tiest pets, to make them better than the good ones. Just give 5 slot pets 500 points and call it good.

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here we are running around active VvV towns getting guard wacked with non medable armour with hidden stats and a fc1 buff obtained only in trammel. People riding dreadmares and then when they die they don't lose their fc1 buff and can continue to allow their pet dreadmare to attack until it gets low hp and then they can control their pet dead by logging out, then can still taunt about it on general chat - while dead.

IS THIS PATCH AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
repost from other thread:
Okay this time i have a completely 100% on topic complaint about this patch.

This is a pet revamp,
There is a pet exploit:

1. You're able to just log out when your pet is low health to prevent it from dieing (exploit of the auto stabling designed to help prevent pets being lost) you can even do this when your char is dead.
2. You're able to recall your pets by logging out and in again in areas where you're not supposed to summon pets where pet balls do not work, again an exploit.

Please address in this pet revamp

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This is a pet revamp,
There is a pet exploit:

1. You're able to just log out when your pet is low health to prevent it from dieing (exploit of the auto stabling designed to help prevent pets being lost) you can even do this when your char is dead.
2. You're able to recall your pets by logging out and in again in areas where you're not supposed to summon pets where pet balls do not work, again an exploit.

Actually still working as intended. Sorry.

And yes I'm a trammie. Yes I've logged out to save my pet and no I won't delete any of my accounts.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can assure that just because they haven't fixed the exploit for a long time, doesn't mean it's working as intended. However feel free to justify your cheating, you're only cheating yourself, it's not really your fault though, i have also done it to retrieve my pet and i don't even bother carrying pet balls of summoning. I just use this cheat. Why waste a charge when you can cheat?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can assure that just because they haven't fixed the exploit for a long time, doesn't mean it's working as intended. However feel free to justify your cheating, you're only cheating yourself, it's not really your fault though, i have also done it to retrieve my pet and i don't even bother carrying pet balls of summoning. I just use this cheat. Why waste a charge when you can cheat?
The Pet Balls only work once in a blue moon on a Tuesday when the moon is full...

While it's somewhat of an exploit so then is using a staff to bring your corpse to you after a rez... Really is about the same.

But I rather agree with you about the insanity of only being able to get town buffs in Trammel... Are you or are you not battling to control towns there in Fel??? If you are shouldn't you be able to then "win" a buff in that town for the day??? Makes sense to me. But maybe that's just me.

And I've always been a supportive Governor for the Fel crowd on GLs and have always kept the FC1 buff on the Yew Stone as requested.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cheating? It's a part of the game that has worked that way for as long as I can remember, why is it cheating?

And you cannot use it to summon pets to nonsummon areas - at least in Trammel or Ilsh or other places they are not allowed, that is an incorrect statement but then I'm a Trammie so I don't know about Fel rules and locations on this.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Cheating? It's a part of the game that has worked that way for as long as I can remember, why is it cheating?

And you cannot use it to summon pets to nonsummon areas - at least in Trammel or Ilsh or other places they are not allowed, that is an incorrect statement but then I'm a Trammie so I don't know about Fel rules and locations on this.
It has been that way for a number of years yes, it as an exploit which most of us have used at one time or another, pretty sure it does work in non summon areas and fel as Ive used it to get my GD to spawns on Siege, mostly out of laziness really as I didnt want to have to spend forever dragging it along behind me, also used it from time to time to get a fresh tame from deep in ilsh back to town.

I wouldnt be upset to see them fix this exploit as it does spoil the "suspension of disbelief" of the game and makes those summoning balls worthless as its superior to them and free.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This is a pet revamp,
There is a pet exploit:

Until the pet will actually follow you this does not need fixed. I cant even run around luna with a GD and have the thing be next to me when I get where I am going. I spam all follow me as I run to the spot in the dungeon where I want to play and who knows what the GD got hung on while I'm trying to not get killed by a ratman mage. Ive had my GD stay in Mel when I climbed out. I cant just go back in to get it.

Learn how to play with the game mechanics.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Until the pet will actually follow you this does not need fixed. I cant even run around luna with a GD and have the thing be next to me when I get where I am going. I spam all follow me as I run to the spot in the dungeon where I want to play and who knows what the GD got hung on while I'm trying to not get killed by a ratman mage. Ive had my GD stay in Mel when I climbed out. I cant just go back in to get it.

Learn how to play with the game mechanics.
And not to mention until as a ghost it doesn't go to the Ends of the Earth so to speak the instant it dies well out of earshot to call it's ghost back and there is NO finding that ghost no matter how long you search... Until THAT is fixed... this had better remain... I can't pet ball my pets ghost back either.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tamers have justifiably complained for years that taming needs a boost to be on the level with other PvM templates. Limiting all new things to be below what the old pets could do is a waste of Dev effort IMO. So, yes, existing pets will not be as powerful as the new ones. I think it's a good thing.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And not to mention until as a ghost it doesn't go to the Ends of the Earth so to speak the instant it dies well out of earshot to call it's ghost back and there is NO finding that ghost no matter how long you search... Until THAT is fixed... this had better remain... I can't pet ball my pets ghost back either.
Pet balls of summoning do work on dead pets. 2 wrong bugs, don't make a right.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pet balls of summoning do work on dead pets. 2 wrong bugs, don't make a right.
Never when I try it... Besides who would waste a charge on a pet ball by the time you finish doing all the silly animations the dead pet has vanished again.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay... :bdh:
Finally I found weak greater dragon which had 4 slots and 614hp after taming. After I click begin training gem it turned to 5 slots. Well, now I can't find anything what gives gains. Even crazy mage give nothing.
@Bleak @Kyronix I can't train 4 slot greaters.

ADD: after using training gate I can't add anything to pet because I have no free pet slots :bdh:

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never when I try it... Besides who would waste a charge on a pet ball by the time you finish doing all the silly animations the dead pet has vanished again.
Never when you try it? you've never tried it, you just log out and in like everyone else. Not that your pet ever dies anyway cos you log out when it's redlined.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just log out and in again, the dead pet is sat at your side.....where ever you may be. Also a good way to get pets to hard to reach places without them running off every 5 seconds to go kill anything in view.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just log out and in again, the dead pet is sat at your side.....where ever you may be. Also a good way to get pets to hard to reach places without them running off every 5 seconds to go kill anything in view.
:facepalm:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never when you try it? you've never tried it, you just log out and in like everyone else. Not that your pet ever dies anyway cos you log out when it's redlined.
And a pet ball doesn't work in 99% of the places you'd need it in... No... and if you go somewhere it does work by the time you get there then the pet can't be found... NO logging in and out is 100% effective ..... Pet Balls are a joke.