• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Next Round of Publish 97 Updates to TC1

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes - but there won't be a pet training gate on live shards! There is, or will be, ( I think) some way of getting 'additional points', because some abilities require them in the menus. I don't think it will be the 5k points folk are getting from the training gate however. I'm in 'wait and see' mode till the next update on test center.
Yes I am as well...currently training a variety of pets the normal way to see how they gain and what pets I am going to want when it goes live.

Already dead set on the dread spider lol, maybe a lowland boura, those things are awesome tanks...still a bit big though....the frog was just a funny thing cus of what Mesanna said..got me thinkin lol but the frog is slow to follow because he hops so can't keep up with me very well..still awful cute!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I'll be adding any new pets to my stable, nor do I plan to change many of my existing pets, but I will train up my Skree, it's a lot more fun once you up its base damage etc. I also plan to train my white wyrm and rune beetle. Looking at the rune beetle's existing lore and knowledge, rune corruption, bleed, poisoning, magery I'm thinking it won't be possible to add anything from the 4 'abilities' categories, but I haven't actually tried to yet.

Although we can't train the greater dragons, I will work with mine a bit with whispering, it has room to gain skill in Parry and detect hidden - that's if they can actually gain detect.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is all pretty worthless if I can not train any of these pets to the best of any greater dragon. Imo the whole point was to give us some choice other than a GD, I guess the point was lost on the dev's.
I totally agree what's the point if we can't train smaller pets up to the best GD
Em events all you see is dragons can't loot can't find corpse

Ohh well I guess there just adding this to add it

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is all pretty worthless if I can not train any of these pets to the best of any greater dragon. Imo the whole point was to give us some choice other than a GD, I guess the point was lost on the dev's.
I totally agree what's the point if we can't train smaller pets up to the best GD
Em events all you see is dragons can't loot can't find corpse

Ohh well I guess there just adding this to add it
Before you throw cold water over the whole publish, have you actually tried it? And then tried hunting with a trained up pet and compared it to a GD?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Obviously they have not.

Your right I have Not

I am just agreeing with post I quoted

I do not understand why the devs would make sure GD are still the top tier pets that's their words not mine.

Items skills play styles all get buffs and nerfs through out the history of this game,
So I feel it's about time to nerf GD let us have a smaller pet with equal stats
I would rather have a black mare that is just as powerful as a GD
This way at events champ spawns other players can see the boss and corpse better
To save the GD as top tier pet seems like they nerfed their own revamp right out the gate.
I also don't think people should have to search out that perfect number pet we should be able to train any
Matching pet type to the same stats just like armor weapons etc.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I want to get a skree but can't on my own...using the template I have on Origin no spellweaving or bard skills straight mage/tamer so those little buggers are hard to tame for me but that was one of the pets I really wanted to train up and test out.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before you throw cold water over the whole publish, have you actually tried it? And then tried hunting with a trained up pet and compared it to a GD?
While some newer pets may come close or be preferable in some cases, you will not see any match a GD in this publish, Unless Someone actually listens. It does not mean its a bad Publish it just means no one was really listening to the taming community (not really)...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not understand why the devs would make sure GD are still the top tier pets that's their words not mine.
They don't want people to feel like they wasted their time would be my guess. That said, I sure as heck wont be using a greater dragon when this goes live. I doubt anyone who mains a tamer will either. I can make a Drake with 860 hps, 1.2k mana, 700+ str, 80/80/80/80/45, max regens, that can discord and AI with the same base damage as a GD.

I think a warrior tamer may become a new functional style when you can have what is pretty close to a GD in stats (probably better on average) that can discord and feint... super meat shield that weakens your foes.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While some newer pets may come close or be preferable in some cases, you will not see any match a GD in this publish, Unless Someone actually listens. It does not mean its a bad Publish it just means no one was really listening to the taming community (not really)...
Have you been testing it? I feel like you haven't been testing it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
People spent years, if not longer in some cases, to find and tame the best GD's. The suggestion that some turkey or a bunny should be able to be trained up to the best GD would be a slap to anyone who has been taming through out UO's history.

That's not to say there shouldn't be atleast few tamables that are capable of being brought up to a high level... but not every pet should be able to be moved up the level of high-end GDs.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People spent years, if not longer in some cases, to find and tame the best GD's. The suggestion that some turkey or a bunny should be able to be trained up to the best GD would be a slap to anyone who has been taming through out UO's history.

That's not to say there shouldn't be atleast few tamables that are capable of being brought up to a high level... but not every pet should be able to be moved up the level of high-end GDs.
I am thrilled though that I can now play my RP character the way I want to. She can bring a wolf or an eagle, ora stag, or whatever along with her in her travels and it won't be a total liability, on the contrary it will be a helpful and powerful ally. Maybe not a GD, but something that can handle a real fight.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am thrilled though that I can now play my RP character the way I want to. She can bring a wolf or an eagle, ora stag, or whatever along with her in her travels and it won't be a total liability, on the contrary it will be a helpful and powerful ally. Maybe not a GD, but something that can handle a real fight.
I apologize in advance that this is probably a dumb question and maybe answered elsewhere, but I haven't had a chance to test anything from this publish myself yet. If you train up a pet that was never really popular before, do the taming and lore skill minimums for controlling that pet also increase? Will you only be able to use the pets you mentioned (i.e., wolf, eagle, stag) with a character that has taming/lore? Also, what happens if you train pack horses, fire beetles, or blue beetles? Can a non-tamer character still control trained versions of these pets?

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you been testing it? I feel like you haven't been testing it.
I have put some time in testing. About four hours worth, enough to get a good idea of whats being published and how it will effect my taming game play. Have I mathematically calculated the damage outputs for the new tames and all the variants Pffft! I will leave that to the spread sheet junkies. Ultimately I will use what works best for me.

In My opinion There should be at least 5 high end pets equal too the GD if not more. More options Are better...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I keep remembering how many times I've thought a rune beetle would be useful in the Roof, if only it had a bit more chance to survive.
I have no doubt my rune beetle will be my main pet after this publish.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I forgot about birds.

Having a pair of killer eagles would be cool.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol. There are pets in this publish that far exceed the GD in both Tanking capability, and DPS capability. A 4 Slot trained Cu Sidhe or Saurosaurus can easily out tank even a theoretical 5.0 GD. The Cu Sidhe simply bandy heals itself, and the Saurosaurus has Life Leech, so give it Whirlwind for spawns, or AI for bosses, and it's basically unkillable. I threw Consume Damage on my Saurosaurus, and he literally tanked all of Destard 1st level without taking a scratch, with numerous wild GDs on him. I lored him during that, and the Consume Damage had boosted his HPR from 20, to 150, it was hilarious.

My Saurosaurus, at 4 Slots, has 1,027 Health/150 Stam/404 Mana, 407 STR/150 DEX/404 INT, 20 HPR/50 SR/30 MR, Resists are 85/85/70/45/80, 24-33 Base Damage, his Skills are 109.2 Wrest/100.5 Tactics/GM Resist/GM Anat/72.0 Detect/GM Parrying/GM Med/105.6 Focus, and i added Whirlwind on him, which is on top of his innate Life Leech, Concussion Blow and Tail Swipe. I haven't used PS yet to boost his Wrest//Parry, and curiously enough, he didn't even show Parry until he maxed out his Wrest, then Parry showed up at 40.0, and i trained that to GM in about 15-20 minutes. Even at just 4 Slots, i'd pit him against any GD in the land.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
For any EC+Pincos users, a request. Pinco tells me that his UI can log Animal Lore gumps. Anyone testing who is able, could you send me your Animal Lore logs via PM?

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol. There are pets in this publish that far exceed the GD in both Tanking capability, and DPS capability. A 4 Slot trained Cu Sidhe or Saurosaurus can easily out tank even a theoretical 5.0 GD. The Cu Sidhe simply bandy heals itself, and the Saurosaurus has Life Leech, so give it Whirlwind for spawns, or AI for bosses, and it's basically unkillable. I threw Consume Damage on my Saurosaurus, and he literally tanked all of Destard 1st level without taking a scratch, with numerous wild GDs on him. I lored him during that, and the Consume Damage had boosted his HPR from 20, to 150, it was hilarious.

My Saurosaurus, at 4 Slots, has 1,027 Health/150 Stam/404 Mana, 407 STR/150 DEX/404 INT, 20 HPR/50 SR/30 MR, Resists are 85/85/70/45/80, 24-33 Base Damage, his Skills are 109.2 Wrest/100.5 Tactics/GM Resist/GM Anat/72.0 Detect/GM Parrying/GM Med/105.6 Focus, and i added Whirlwind on him, which is on top of his innate Life Leech, Concussion Blow and Tail Swipe. I haven't used PS yet to boost his Wrest//Parry, and curiously enough, he didn't even show Parry until he maxed out his Wrest, then Parry showed up at 40.0, and i trained that to GM in about 15-20 minutes. Even at just 4 Slots, i'd pit him against any GD in the land.
Sounds good. Hope It works out how it tests...

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Pretty much anything at this point can be a meat shield. Hell, at this point you can get a chicken, max it's phys. resist, HPR, and Hitppoints and wham! You got a meat shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pretty much anything at this point can be a meat shield. Hell, at this point you can get a chicken, max it's phys. resist, HPR, and Hitppoints and wham! You got a meat shield.

Basically, but certain pets particularly excel at it due to innate abilities that can't be added via the new Training, such as the Cu's bandy healing, or the Saurosaurus' Life Leech (not the new "Life Steal"). The Saurosaurus' Life Leech synergizes very well with AI or WW. The more damage it dishes out, the more it self heals.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I wonder how high you could get a chicken's hp after maxing out its resists. I'm guessing around 300? heh Maybe a little less and give it feint and the mana to use it. Chicken fights are gonna get boring heh.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For any EC+Pincos users, a request. Pinco tells me that his UI can log Animal Lore gumps. Anyone testing who is able, could you send me your Animal Lore logs via PM?
It does they go into a log but only if you do that with a BONDED pet... it doesn't work just loring out in the wild.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They really need to change the name of the new "Pet Training" system, since people are now confusing the new "Pet Training" term, with the old "Skill Training" term. Tell people to go train their pet's skills on a Shadow Ore Ele, and they'll respond "But it says my pet cannot gain off of that", which is referring to the new Training system.

A pet's Stats/Resists/Skills should stop influencing the amount of Control Slots it takes, only the new Pet Training system should up it's Control Slots. Otherwise, it penalizes current high Rating pets. Currently, it's almost impossible to find a 4 slot Shadow Wyrm to tame, almost all of them end up as 5 slots after tame and can't be trained, unless you get lucky and find a really crappy Shadow Wyrm that tames out at 4 Slots, and can be Trained to be much better than a 5 slot Shadow Wyrm.
White Wyrms seem unable to have their STR/DEX/INT changed with the new Training system, despite their total stats being below the cap (although their STR starts above 700).
Cold Wind needs to be buffed, it currently does about 2 damage every 2 seconds to a single target. At least make it halve the victim's Cold Resist, since Physical, Fire, or Energy Resist can all be lowered with Grasping Claw/Flurry Force, Inferno or Conductive Blast, while currently nothing (other than Rune Corruption) lowers Cold Resist.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't think any pet should be allowed to have both better dps and tanking ability than the GD. One or the other would be fine. Otherwise there would be no reason to use a GD
Oh yes that would be awful if there were no reason to use a GD, I dont understand why it has to be written in stone that the GD is the required BiS pet forever, its made the game dull as hell to have that as THE required pet, much as I want to cry a river for the people who spent ages(as I also have) finding a 4.5-4.7 GD or whatever, change is the nature of MMOs, things do move on...

GDs are so tedious and a pain to use unless you are a Gargoyle anyway, sure this patch is basically going to make it so Elves and Humans are all using 5 slot rideable pets and will leave all the "drag along" types of pets with Gargoyles, but at least the former 2 races dont have to walk everywhere all the time and all races have a much more diverse choice of pets they can use without being gimped.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They really need to change the name of the new "Pet Training" system, since people are now confusing the new "Pet Training" term, with the old "Skill Training" term. Tell people to go train their pet's skills on a Shadow Ore Ele, and they'll respond "But it says my pet cannot gain off of that", which is referring to the new Training system.

A pet's Stats/Resists/Skills should stop influencing the amount of Control Slots it takes, only the new Pet Training system should up it's Control Slots. Otherwise, it penalizes current high Rating pets. Currently, it's almost impossible to find a 4 slot Shadow Wyrm to tame, almost all of them end up as 5 slots after tame and can't be trained, unless you get lucky and find a really crappy Shadow Wyrm that tames out at 4 Slots, and can be Trained to be much better than a 5 slot Shadow Wyrm.
White Wyrms seem unable to have their STR/DEX/INT changed with the new Training system, despite their total stats being below the cap (although their STR starts above 700).
Cold Wind needs to be buffed, it currently does about 2 damage every 2 seconds to a single target. At least make it halve the victim's Cold Resist, since Physical, Fire, or Energy Resist can all be lowered with Grasping Claw/Flurry Force, Inferno or Conductive Blast, while currently nothing (other than Rune Corruption) lowers Cold Resist.
At this point the Shaodw Wyrm is hardly worth taming... sad. Their HP are WAY too low.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So I am happy to say that I managed to train an eagle to use armor ignore and boosted its mana related stats to well above needed. Quite comical watching an eagle take down a swoop by constantly spamming armor ignore

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I am happy to say that I managed to train an eagle to use armor ignore and boosted its mana related stats to well above needed. Quite comical watching an eagle take down a swoop by constantly spamming armor ignore

You should see what a Phoenix can do, lol.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
And I'm currently testing different ratios of imbuing on weaker pets to see how it balances out. Like how much mana is necessary for certain specials to be effective and etc

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I spent lots of time to find and tame the best White Wyrm, Nightmare, Dragon, Rune Beetle, Cu Sidhe in the past. The GD made them come in second line. There is no reason why lots of pets if not all could be in first line. Wouldnt it be way cooler to see any pet in whole uo fighting instead of always the same?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I took an untrained bullfrog through the training gate today and I was able to improve it's resists without bumping the control slots up to 2. I'm thinking, however, that once I train the skills up, it will jump up a control slot. Can I request the Devs add a skills training gate to max out their various skills so we can test this aspect?

I'm also curious how other players mean to proceed once this publish goes live on shards. Will you tame a pet, train up all it's skills, then use the new training or use the new training as you train up the pet?

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I spent lots of time to find and tame the best White Wyrm, Nightmare, Dragon, Rune Beetle, Cu Sidhe in the past. The GD made them come in second line. There is no reason why lots of pets if not all could be in first line. Wouldnt it be way cooler to see any pet in whole uo fighting instead of always the same?
I agree. One of the reasons for a pet revamp is to boost it a bit to be closer in effectiveness to other PvM templates. Revamping multitude of pets but keeping them inferior to GD is a giant waste of time since everyone will keep using GDs. So I think it's absolutely fine for pets to surpass current GDs in effectiveness.

However I hate the fact that there seems to be little reason to look for pets with the right stats anymore. This change kills a huge part of the tamer game play. I also would like to see the ability to either pick 100% elemental damage in training, or have top tier pets that have 100% elemental damage to start with.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What can you train on a dress mare? Does this make them obsolete?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Idk what to say other then your ********!!. Congrats on being the dumbest poster in stratics history!!!!!! You havnt tested anything obviously.
i dont know about that, kinda seems like im talking with that person right now.

on a related note, sounds like you could use a couple of these so i picked ya up a box.
enjoy!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What does a pet's hiding do?

Also, I tamed a woodpecker and put it through animal training. Bumped it's hit points up to 319 and took it training. I notice that now as it's strength increases it's hit points don't. Is there a cap where hit points stop gaining as strength gains? If you max out a pet's hit points and strength before using the new animal training, does it cost fewer points to improve to that 319? Or is it all added up in a total tally?

Another question I have is, I've imbued stats and abilities which cause them to require more taming to control. As they gain in skills, will that also increase the taming requirement to control them or the taming requirement just based on the pet's skill caps?

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Helpful tip, I don't think a non casting pets mana ever needs to be more than like 100 if you give it max mana regen (which is cheap) since they don't spam specials it will regen the mana right away. I was loring my gator while it was killing a GD, and it was never more than 50 mana away from its max.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Helpful tip, I don't think a non casting pets mana ever needs to be more than like 100 if you give it max mana regen (which is cheap) since they don't spam specials it will regen the mana right away. I was loring my gator while it was killing a GD, and it was never more than 50 mana away from its max.
I didn't say I max it's mana to 1500, just boosted it to 150. Gave it a bit of intelligence as well because that is taken into the MR rate( if it is same as players calc). Then gave it good resists and stats and maxed its base damage and boosted hits and str. With armor ignore eagle was doing roughly 70-85 on swoop.
**Edit: this was with discordance used on Swoop**

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It seems to me that after the publish goes live, I will have no need for a Greater Dragon. As it stands now, with the training I have done on different pets, they are all better than Greater Dragons. My understanding is that GD's are still supposed to remain "top tier" pets but I don't see it. Am I missing something?

I do have a thought though. If "existing" 5 slot pets (turtles and greaters) are given a set amount of points (1500-3000 was the number that popped into my head) to adapt them on par with the "new pets" when the publish goes live then I could see them still being usable pets. @Bleak @Kyronix Any thoughts on this.

Lastly, a guild mate mentioned the greaters and turtles being "grandfathered" Not sure what this means. Maybe something to beef them up?

Any thoughts anybody?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems to me that after the publish goes live, I will have no need for a Greater Dragon. As it stands now, with the training I have done on different pets, they are all better than Greater Dragons. My understanding is that GD's are still supposed to remain "top tier" pets but I don't see it. Am I missing something?

I do have a thought though. If "existing" 5 slot pets (turtles and greaters) are given a set amount of points (1500-3000 was the number that popped into my head) to adapt them on par with the "new pets" when the publish goes live then I could see them still being usable pets. @Bleak @Kyronix Any thoughts on this.

Lastly, a guild mate mentioned the greaters and turtles being "grandfathered" Not sure what this means. Maybe something to beef them up?

Any thoughts anybody?
As it stands now, are you not given the option to train dragon turtles and greater dragons?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I apologize in advance that this is probably a dumb question and maybe answered elsewhere, but I haven't had a chance to test anything from this publish myself yet. If you train up a pet that was never really popular before, do the taming and lore skill minimums for controlling that pet also increase? Will you only be able to use the pets you mentioned (i.e., wolf, eagle, stag) with a character that has taming/lore? Also, what happens if you train pack horses, fire beetles, or blue beetles? Can a non-tamer character still control trained versions of these pets?
I don't know if anyone has replied, but I'll share my findings from today. I was working with pets who required no taming to control, like dogs, rabbits, birds, and horses. Training them up to a 2 control slot creature requires 40 taming and lore to control them, but I had no issues with them obeying commands. Training these up to a 3 control slot required 60 taming and lore to control them. I haven't tried the pack animals yet but I think it might run along the same lines.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. My windrunner is trained to three slots and has necromage. About as strong as a clean nightmare.

Thanks. Do you know if it require 60 taming and lore to control it after training it up?

Last edited: