• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Next Round of Publish 97 Updates to TC1

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yeah, I think slots should just be tied to type.
You have to be careful with this.

Like I mentioned before I don't want to get jumped by a handful of chickens with different specials.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Like I mentioned before I don't want to get jumped by a handful of chickens with different specials.
You wouldn't. They wouldn't get any specials without leveling up. I mean just base pets. Like when you tame a chicken it's always a 1 slot. When you tame a drake it's always a 2 slot, etc. Otherwise you're just punished for taming a stronger pet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can transfer a leveled lesser hiryu to someone with bushido and they're able to control it on TC1 currently, but it's getting to be fixed.
Why does this need to be fixed? Do you really think someone is going to complain if a Sampire goes to Doom riding a Lesser Hiryu? If its a PvP issue then FIX it over there and stop Putting the 5% PvP crowd ahead of the PvM players.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why does this need to be fixed? Do you really think someone is going to complain if a Sampire goes to Doom riding a Lesser Hiryu? If its a PvP issue then FIX it over there and stop Putting the 5% PvP crowd ahead of the PvM players.
look at you complaining about "Pvp nerfs" to something that's not even on live shards yet.... :next:

some people just don't understand the concept of balancing...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
look at you complaining about "Pvp nerfs" to something that's not even on live shards yet.... :next:

Was it Lady Mel or the stygian dragon that complained that it would be unbalanced? Tell me, when have the devs or anyone used the term balancing in regards to pvm?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A trained one, yeah maybe. Sampires shouldn't get and don't need a powerful pet for free. Easy with the anti-pvp obsession dude.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was it Lady Mel or the stygian dragon that complained that it would be unbalanced? Tell me, when have the devs or anyone used the term balancing in regards to pvm?
Frequently. It should be balanced. This whole pet update is an attempt to balance pets effectiveness vs other templates, as its been lagging for years. No one template should be obviously superior to all the rest, pvp or pvm.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Frequently. It should be balanced. This whole pet update is an attempt to balance pets effectiveness vs other templates, as its been lagging for years. No one template should be obviously superior to all the rest, pvp or pvm.
True but let's be honest how often is pvm balanced? Guess the answer to that is; how long has the sampire build existed? Pvp on the other hand is constantly being adjusted. I don't necessarily agree that a lesser hiyru should be allowed to be transfered fully trained to a none tamer. I do however contend that a lot of devs resources are indeed dedicated to a much smaller (some contend very small) group of players when it comes to pvp.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I completely agree, look in a mirror and you will see that person. PvP balance has nothing to do with PvM balance. Separate the two and balance PvP all you want. PvM has different issues for balance. If our mobs are too easy they just give them more HP and resists. Or they make a dungeon that only a certain template can succeed at. PvP already uses different templates and different gear. Let the Devs give you different pet abilities over in Fel and let Tram tamers have some fun.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A trained one, yeah maybe. Sampires shouldn't get and don't need a powerful pet for free. Easy with the anti-pvp obsession dude.
How long would that pet last against a tough mob? How are they going to heal and res it? Answer: They cant!

I'm not anti PvP. Play in the red lands all you want. But leave the your balances over there. I am pro PvM. The reason the game has lasted so long.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True but let's be honest how often is pvm balanced? Guess the answer to that is; how long has the sampire build existed? Pvp on the other hand is constantly being adjusted. I don't necessarily agree that a lesser hiyru should be allowed to be transfered fully trained to a none tamer. I do however contend that a lot of devs resources are indeed dedicated to a much smaller (some contend very small) group of players when it comes to pvp.
I think they do a ton of pvm balancing and a ton more of pvm directed development. Sampires have existed for a good while, but you must remember they have been nerfed a ton of times as well, because they were really overpowered. They really aren't so much any more.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You wouldn't. They wouldn't get any specials without leveling up. I mean just base pets. Like when you tame a chicken it's always a 1 slot. When you tame a drake it's always a 2 slot, etc. Otherwise you're just punished for taming a stronger pet.
Yeah my misunderstanding then, I thought we were discussing pet slots based only on pet type.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long would that pet last against a tough mob? How are they going to heal and res it? Answer: They cant!
They tank, as usual, and the pet is extra dps, free onslaught, armor corruption, etc, etc... :/

I'm not anti PvP. Play in the red lands all you want. But leave the your balances over there. I am pro PvM. The reason the game has lasted so long.
I mean, it happens, you just have to accept it. It's not two games, bleed over goes both ways.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Get on test and you'll know how long they last...

You seem to think Balancing is not important in pvm....

The reason Leveled Lesser Hiryus should Not be usable by non-tamers is because they make Dexers even more effective without the need of skills that made these pets strong in the first place.

Like, Do you even know why tamers want a pet-revamp in the first place?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just initial slots. They should slot up with training as it is now.
Yep, gotcha now.

It would be pretty damn funny though to get steam rolled by some chickens though...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Get on test and you'll know how long they last...

You seem to think Balancing is not important in pvm....

The reason Leveled Lesser Hiryus should Not be usable by non-tamers is because they make Dexers even more effective without the need of skills that made these pets strong in the first place.

Like, Do you even know why tamers want a pet-revamp in the first place?
Tamer mages also get to damage mobs and use their pet. That has never been an issue in PvM.

I like your question. Is this the answer? Like, is it because they want weaker pets that only one template can use? :next:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like your question. Is this the answer? Like, is it because they want weaker pets that only one template can use? :next:
I'm glad you fell into that perfectly..

The Answer is to "Balance" the game between Pvm templates more than it is now.

With that being said...:next:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ok, ive been mucking around and maybe i missed it..... so we can not do anything with Greater Dragons at all.
we cant go in enter them into the 'training mode' and we cant 'imbue them' to fix lopsided resists or anything at all?

so Greater Dragons really have nothing to do with this pet revamp.

im i correct in saying that or am i missing something?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
another question.
i had a fully trained Cu that i copied over with my tamer.

i put it into 'training mode' and it went from a 4 slot pet to a 3 slot pet.
now im done training it and i went into the 'pet imbuing' and i used up all the points and now its a 4 slot pet.

am i now done with this pet?
it can go no higher?
cause i see the 'train pet' button is once again there and i hit it again and now im back into training mode again.
so does this mean i can train him up to 100% again and get another shot at points and will that then put him to a 5 slot pet????

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
3rd thing, am i the only one that is highly underwhelmed with the regen rate on pets?
i maxed out my Cu on regens, silly me thinking they where the same as ours.
but they must not be because i hit him (im a archer) and i dont really see the HPR doing anything.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
another question.

now im done training it and i went into the 'pet imbuing' and i used up all the points and now its a 4 slot pet.

it can go no higher?
cause i see the 'train pet' button is once again there and i hit it again and now im back into training mode again.
so does this mean i can train him up to 100% again and get another shot at points and will that then put him to a 5 slot pet????

Yeap. That's what it means. I'd do resists and stats first then work on skills.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, ive been mucking around and maybe i missed it..... so we can not do anything with Greater Dragons at all.
we cant go in enter them into the 'training mode' and we cant 'imbue them' to fix lopsided resists or anything at all?

so Greater Dragons really have nothing to do with this pet revamp.

im i correct in saying that or am i missing something?
Yup. GD's are supposed to still be overall best... but somehow I really doubt that will be the case. I feel like (of old pets Bake's are going to be the new uber pet. Highest base damage of any 2 slot by a wide margin, second highest HP of any 2 slot next to raptors, and already have good resists and magery. Add in 3 levels of boosts...

Tsuki wolves may also be pretty studly if you can find one with 200 dex, since you can't get past 150 with training. Highest of any potential 5 slot I believe, of monsters we know.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another question.

it can go no higher?
Yes, cu's can go to 5.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If publish goes through as is (which odds are it will not) greater dragons will be history. I'll take a rune beetle with 3 resists at 80 and poison in the mid 90's (Really why do I even need to waste points in cold resist anyway). That plus 700 HP's and 1500 mana AND special moves ANNNNND the ability to currupt armor/level 5 poison. There is simply no comparison. Either the pet abilities have to come WAY down or the greater dragon has to be buffed in some way in order to avoid making the greater dragons obsolete.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Giant Beetles & Fire Beetles will be the best over-all pets if the revamp goes live as is.

Mountable pets, with ~700 HP, 500 mana, & 24-33 base damage (same as a greater dragon), instead of "dragons breath" it'll have "rune corruption" (but you can choose not to have it...(no one would))
70s/80s in all resists and um, all of this at 2-3 followers each (2) pets. Yea no one will be using a Greater Dragon, when you could essentially have two of them.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Giant Beetles & Fire Beetles will be the best over-all pets if the revamp goes live as is.

Mountable pets, with ~700 HP, 500 mana, & 24-33 base damage (same as a greater dragon), instead of "dragons breath" it'll have "rune corruption" (but you can choose not to have it...(no one would))
70s/80s in all resists and um, all of this at 2-3 followers each (2) pets. Yea no one will be using a Greater Dragon, when you could essentially have two of them.
Should see my 700 hp nightmare 80s all resist (except cold). 1500 mana, pyro ability, and mortal. Takes down AW's with ease and its untrained in combat. Oh yeah and it's mountable of course :). Mind you this is an untrained nightmare with no skill trainings. Imagine this thing maxed out.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wrong. I've already soloed Ancient Wyrms, Baracoon and The Great Ape with a lesser Hiryu tanking, do research and test before you speak. You can't just come on Stratics and claim knowledge contrary to what you "believe" with that said..I don't think there needs t be a change.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Should see my 700 hp nightmare 80s all resist (except cold). 1500 mana, pyro ability, and mortal. Takes down AW's with ease and its untrained in combat. Oh yeah and it's mountable of course :). Mind you this is an untrained nightmare with no skill trainings. Imagine this thing maxed out.
I believe it.

Giant Beetles, Fire Beetles, & Lesser Hiryus. all dropped from 3/5 down to 1/5 follower slots between live shards and TC1.
I asked Bleak over gen-chat yesterday about this but, He either didn't have an answer, or I missed what his answer was.

I'm not sure if many/any other pets were reduced in follower counts or not... but Hell hounds seem to always be 2/5 (pre-trained) , they use to be 1/5 (as currently on live shards).

IMO, if you're looking for a single pet to use all the time, anything that can level 1 => 5 will be the "best" all-around. I don't think that is what the devs are aiming for.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like we're getting a replacement option for swamp dragons from P97? (absorbs damages)
Must be one of the new pets then?? Or, is it an ability trainable by a tamer first, then the pet is transferred to a warrior?
From the new lore menus on TC, I didn't see any abilities that indicates such...so far.

From Yamato meet chat:
========================================
Q16,
Mesanna: greetings

EM Asiantam: he has his Swamp Dragon as a pet
EM Asiantam: mount
EM Asiantam: but he prefers lesser Hiryu
EM Asiantam: the problem is
EM Asiantam: lesse hiryu can't wear armors

Mesanna: ok stop a sec
Mesanna: you need to go read the patch notes
Mesanna: then go to TC1
Mesanna: and try out the new pet taming revamp we are putting in
Mesanna: I think you will be suprised
Mesanna: and it will give you a better choice
Mesanna: of which pet you want to tame
Mesanna: and train

EM Asiantam: I think he wants it as his mount
EM Asiantam: so it reduce damage

Mesanna: I understand

EM Asiantam: yep

Mesanna: there are lot of varieties

EM Asiantam: thank you
========================================
I was hoping for this same thing, tired of riding a big old ugly clumsy swamp dragon but stuck to it cause of the damage absorb. Mesanna obviously didn't comprehend the question or didn't listen carefully enough. I'd love to have a choice with the same damage absorb feature but I suppose I know what will be said, they'd have to redraw the pets with the armor on them and that's too much work.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
another question.

it can go no higher?
Yes you can.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I was hoping for this same thing, tired of riding a big old ugly clumsy swamp dragon but stuck to it cause of the damage absorb. Mesanna obviously didn't comprehend the question or didn't listen carefully enough. I'd love to have a choice with the same damage absorb feature but I suppose I know what will be said, they'd have to redraw the pets with the armor on them and that's too much work.
Seems it'd be pretty much just a rehue for the pet, no need to redraw them.

Just a thought; what if there was a small % chance for any tameable creature to spawn with an uncapped slot-maximum? So say dogs and chickens normally spawn as 1 slot, with a max of 2. But keep searching long enough, and you can find that rare one with a 5 slot maximum. That would seem that it could inject just enough variation into the system to avoid literally *everyone* running around with GDs/Beetles/whatever the otherwise "top" pet type ends up being. Who wouldn't want to be taking down GDs with their trained 5-slot Rabbit of Caerbannog?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe it.

Giant Beetles, Fire Beetles, & Lesser Hiryus. all dropped from 3/5 down to 1/5 follower slots between live shards and TC1.
I asked Bleak over gen-chat yesterday about this but, He either didn't have an answer, or I missed what his answer was.

I'm not sure if many/any other pets were reduced in follower counts or not... but Hell hounds seem to always be 2/5 (pre-trained) , they use to be 1/5 (as currently on live shards).

IMO, if you're looking for a single pet to use all the time, anything that can level 1 => 5 will be the "best" all-around. I don't think that is what the devs are aiming for.
I have a feeling these numbers will get toned down quite a bit, but yeah. Even with worse stats just one of some of the abilities will make trained pets easily superior.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wouldn't this be exactly what PvP'ers want and complain about?
If you see a player and his dog in Fel.....no longer are you just gonna jump in with you key roll attack.
No, now you will have to guess what their set up is and take a chance, you may win and you may lose but it will be back to skill and how quickly you can react to their "random" attack style.
I think it could have possibilities.....

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Wouldn't this be exactly what PvP'ers want and complain about?
If you see a player and his dog in Fel.....no longer are you just gonna jump in with you key roll attack.
No, now you will have to guess what their set up is and take a chance, you may win and you may lose but it will be back to skill and how quickly you can react to their "random" attack style.
I think it could have possibilities.....
I'd imagine everyone has their own opinion, but one dog is not the same as multiple pets attacking, so I think you've missed the point.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have discovered that if you use all your points on stats, skills and resists, without adding any special abilities etc, you don't go into the 'advanced training'. You don't get a bar, or messages, or power hour, you just revert back to normal 'pet training' to fill up any power scrolls you added.

What I haven't really worked out yet is the purpose of those lists of creatures.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If publish goes through as is (which odds are it will not) greater dragons will be history. I'll take a rune beetle with 3 resists at 80 and poison in the mid 90's (Really why do I even need to waste points in cold resist anyway). That plus 700 HP's and 1500 mana AND special moves ANNNNND the ability to currupt armor/level 5 poison. There is simply no comparison. Either the pet abilities have to come WAY down or the greater dragon has to be buffed in some way in order to avoid making the greater dragons obsolete.
Greater dragons being history as top pet would be great, my gargoyle tamer could actually have a stable with more than one type of pet...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Are KOTL Automatons allowed to go pet training?
I am not getting the button to start pet training on mine on TC1. I get it on tamed beasts, though.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I managed to unlock "acrane pyromancy". My pet now cast something interesting and throwing sculls with candles on ground. :danceb: