Trees...

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

<blockquote><hr>

How do you figure exactly?

If skills don't decay so fast, you won't need to continue to reskill constantly.
Or for those who fruit up, they won't need a fruit nearly as often.

If skilling is faster, why waste money on fruit to start with?

How could it not make them less valuable.

If a majority of the people aren't needing to be in skill houses most of the time... maybe, just maybe, there would be more fun to be had in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I feel about this topic as well. Thank you.

I

imported_Spacey

I guess it is tucked away in the EA terms that they reserve the right to tweak any object that is overwhelmingly popular and repackage it as a shell of its former self. It's hard to accept. If it MUST be redesigned, we should be suggesting ideas together, not responding with rude comments. Those that are for, plead your case and show why this would be a positive to the game. Those against, lets give ideas on how skilling can be changed to reduce dependance on trees. Or ideas on how we can cut down on tree farms. I haven't seen a fully developed idea on both sides. I will be thinking of things myself.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP

Trees are the most <u>powerful and unbalanced objects</u> in the game. When Maxis gave out trees, the really good players saw that the game had changed and a different game had emerged, which was now “GET A TREE” at any cost and get as many as possible. That is why there are tree farms. The tree farmers are the true power players in the game.

If Maxis had released trees that gave out a zillion simoleans instead of 10 simoleans they would call that a bug. A bug that would get fixed. The trees are so powerful they are a bug and need to be fixed, in spite of the fact that they are gifts.

A gift is not excluded from tuning based upon changing game parameters. The trees are powerful and I am sure EA will find a way to fix them that balance them out and still let everyone stop feeling sick over this digital object.

I am sure they are trying to find a way to balance them in a fair manner - which is why they are still in the game unchanged.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a perfect statement. I agree 100%. The trees had unforseen downsides that made some players happy.. and overall took away the social aspect of the game.

I was once a tree farmer. I spent hours and hours in TSO and spoke to no one because I set it up for max efficiency with min effort.

My first sim to get maxed skills did it via a lot of skilling and some teaching. I was damn proud of that because it was effort.. and I met a great person with a great online family through the teaching. Know what I got from tree farming? A lot of simoleans that are now worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason they are now worthless is because they are going to be wiped soon. If they were in EA Land they would have a real value.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

I guess it is tucked away in the EA terms that they reserve the right to tweak any object that is overwhelmingly popular and repackage it as a shell of its former self. It's hard to accept. If it MUST be redesigned, we should be suggesting ideas together, not responding with rude comments. Those that are for, plead your case and show why this would be a positive to the game. Those against, lets give ideas on how skilling can be changed to reduce dependance on trees. Or ideas on how we can cut down on tree farms. I haven't seen a fully developed idea on both sides. I will be thinking of things myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many great ideas on the wiki to make skilling more fun and less boring. I hope the Dev's see fit to apply some of those as they were requested by Luc for whatever reason and not just a waste of players time posting them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ronin Dex,

Well put and as some posters have pointed out my feelings as well. I have seen many people borrow my thoughts in posts nothing wrong with that since I assume they share a similar point of view. A few comments on trees.

They are an unbalanciing force in the game, the object was not well thought out, and we would like to find a way to tune it. I am oft amused at the angst over the discussions of potential future thoughts and directions about things. We discused the limitation of trees to skill lots as a possible idea and one that was actually suggested by community members. It has not been done yet. May never be done. Bit one thing is cleare something will need to be done.

It being an aniversary gift does not exclude it from being tuned. But again I would ask you to consider that we discuss ideas with you. Possibilities on direction. Helpful feed back is feed back that provides ways to balance the game, there are a few examples in this thread. Unhelpful feed back is found in this thread also.

Forest Gump Voice, "And thats all I have to say about this."

Cheers and remember these are thougths and ideas we discuss. "The Future is Open wide mmmhhhmmm"

Cheers,

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a disturbing statement for a game designer to make.
You feel the trees are overbalancing the game, but your imagination is so limited that you can't see why? And your only solution is to 'tune it'?
Why not look into the reasons they seem to be overbalancing the game (not that I agree). Skilling is boring and interminable! It goes on forever - and does so at glacial speed.
Add some fun to it. Speed it up. Slow down or eliminate the decay. Make skilling 'normally' preferable to the use of trees.
Do these things and the appeal of the trees will not be so great. (these things should have been done long ago anyhow).
You cannot continue to remove elements of the game indefinitely and expect it to survive.
If your foresight - your vision of the 'future mmmmhhhmmm' - is limited to taking things away, then that future is going to consist of seven or eight players sitting on their empty lots with nothing to do and no one to talk to.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure the Devs have statistics on just about everything in the game. The Stratics population is a small percentage and the population agreeing with YOU is even smaller. So throw your "we" out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statistics only tell the EFFECT of a given action and not the CAUSE of said given action.

F

frogger2

On posts like these I find it very interesting on the fact that the Devs being talked about rarely respond lol very interesting. If I was a dev and I siad something that stir up this many players already I sure would respond post haste. oh and I for 1 am against any change to fruit where you can eat em and so on. only change in fruit trees i want to see is that you chose which skill point to get from a tree lol thats all the change a tree needs.

G

There are 2 "forces" at work here - skilling and fruit - and that makes it much more difficult to find a balance.

I think everyone agrees that skilling is about as much fun as watching your fingernails grow. Merging everyone into the same map and slapping a new name on the game doesn't change that fact. Watching your sim read a book is boring and it has been that way for over 5 years. "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

The second force at work is the benefits of fruit. Everyone is talking mainly about the skill point. I would also like to know Lee's thoughts on the other 2 level of fruit - the greening effect. Do these need to be rebalanced as well or is it just the skill point?

Although it may seem simple to balance one force (i.e. "payouts are too high" - solution is to lower payouts), it may not always be. In the payouts example, several iterations of balancing may need to be implemented before a balanced solution is found. When <u>two</u> forces are at work, the solution is much more complex. In this case, it is much easier to change the tree than to totally revamp skilling. However, changes to the tree need to be done with a skilling rewrite in mind.

And while we are talking about skilling and skill points from fruit, we should also keep in mind another aspect of skilling - skill locks. If locks are based on account age, them many people will be able to skill up to their locks and never have to skill again. What does that do to the "balance" of skilling? Think of the amount of time you've spent in a skill house re-skilling or changing skills over the years. For many is older accounts, that time will be removed if locks are based on account age instead of sim age.

I keep trying to think of fruit in the context of faucets and drains. It really doesn't fit into that because the simoleans never leave the economy. They just move from one sim to another. But then I try to compare fruit to Custom Content. I'll admit, I haven't followed the details on CC. Do any simoleans exit the economy at any step in the Custom Content process? Does it cost me anything to create CC? Even if it did, that would just be added to the price charged the eventual buyer. If that's the case, then there are some similarities here. Both fruit and CC enter the game without a drain in simoleans, then they are exchanged with another player. The only difference is once fruit is purchased, it cannot be resold. But then CC doesn't have an impact on skilling.

My first reaction to all of this is "fix skilling first, then worry about fruit." On the other hand, if they leave fruit alone, then by the time skilling is "fixed", no one will need it because we'll all have fruit hangovers.

One thing is for sure: there is no simple solution.

S

supmar

the only thing neeed to be balanced are the botters that are taking this game down if there where no botters there would have been no treefarms
it's not the object it is the way people get so many of the object.
treefarmers hide sims to grow and sell fruit,most don't answer you when you land at there house and there not even there.
now this is using a program that is not a tso item.
further more how did they get so many trees in the first place.
are they using a botterprogram to pizza /maze or code to make this money.
if you adress these programs first than i don't think the trees would be a problem.
if nothing else make it where only the owner can eat there trees.

G

Yes Milton, it costs simoleans to make custom content. I believe the price you have to pay is based upon the size of the upload and how many you order.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

They are an unbalanciing force in the game, the object was not well thought out, and we would like to find a way to tune it.

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's borrow this thought from Lee...

In my opinion this object does not unbalance the game any more than giving a player the ability to purchase simoleans with cash. It is merely a short cut or something to be used to save time spent in game in order to attain what you are after. Players eat fruit to speed up the process just as a player would purchase simoleans instead of earning them.

There have always been players that prefer to play the game and earn simoleans instead of using more real life cash purchase them. There have always been players in game that will spend the time to skill rather than spend money on them.

Time vs money has been a part of TSO since the beginning of time. If you want to spend more money you can buy what you want and spend less time doing it.

Skill locks and skill decay have been the only balancing force keeping this commodity in check. Without skill decay the overskilled population will be left to flood the economy with simoleans.

Many new players use fruit to get to the fast track of crafting in game or to the top payouts on money objects. Why do they want to craft? Because they believe selling crafts may be fun and a faster way to make money that other opportunities offered in game.

Botters surely will pay for fruit to skill their sims faster so they can get their bots running at full simolean production levels as fast as possible.

Isolating trees to a skill lot will do nothing to stop the sale of fruit for skill. The demand for faster skill points has already proven to be a viable market in the economy. If anything, it will just open the door for more unsecure trading and the possibility of scams.

Taking away the ability of the tree to give skill points is the only way to put an end to this market. Now if the goal is just to slow down or discourage the use of trees for this purpose many things could be done.

Re-tuning Option 1-
Trees could be restricted and only used by the owner of the tree.
I don't like this option because viewing the tree for fun is something many of us do together. Especially while teaching. I've often let my roomies eat mature fruit for it's greening properties. For those of us that have all the skills we want or need, the greening aspect of the tree is more valuable and we like to share it.
Edited to add: This would end the sale of fruit but open up a big market for selling trees.

Re-tuning Option 2-
Random rotten fruit could be added to the tree that would kill anyone that ate it.
This would cause the purchase of fruit to be more of a gamble. I know I would be less likely to pay if the result could be my untimely death from bad fruit. As an owner of the tree, the death gamble would be more of a hassle but could also be fun. I could actually offer free fruit to new players after they died repairing one of my lights

G

TTL

Gracie:
I really like option 2 with the rotten fruit.

Everyone else: Yes I agree skilling needs to be find tuned.

Ronin: I also agree that we need to look at this as a new game. That is basically what I have been doing since Tc3 was re-opened. I know that I don't have as much time as others to play this game, I can only manage about once a week. If that gives me less authority's on this situation oh well.

It is in EA's best interest as a company and look and the past mistakes made. We all know that there were huge mistakes made with this game. I doubt EA is unaware of them. But the problem with some our player base is that they want change, but on their terms specifically. They want the problems fixed as long as it does not effect their gameplay in the manner they opt to play it.

We all have a formula to how we play this game and that is what makes many so bored.

Corp is right, in any other game you power level. It is repetition over and over again to gain experience. In my opinion TSO's repetition in skilling is one of the most mundane tasks I've ever experienced. From day one this has been the case. I have always hated skilling. So I rarely did it. This is obvious on all sims except for my TC sim.

I was going to write a whole long winded paragraph on the fact that players need to stop holding on to the failures of this game so sentimentally, or that we should at least trust that if EA can see every aspect of our accounts and every aspect of the objects, they would know what the failings are in the game. Where we come in is when we aer able to communicate our experience in the past five years without having it hinder the new game they are setting forth. After 2 years of no updates, the huge resistance to change it what shocks me the most.

C

calvinscreeksim

I'm confused, feel free to correct me if I'm not on the mark here. Okay so people are complaining that if their trees are limited to skill lot fruit eating only it will cause and uproar. Can I ask why? the only people that will be affected in my opinion, is the afk store owners. So what if you have to click on a skill house to enter and ask for fruit, doesn't that create something new to do for a few minutes?

Another thing I picked up while reading what did not bore me in this thread, was the owner only interactions....I don't really care about whats said about that but I do like to see afk store owners squeal about it

I've also noticed the bickering about how it takes to long to skill, I agree there but at the same time isnt this just another problem? Yeah you can fill up on fruits and say "yay I have maxed skills" but what are you going to do after? It's hard to believe that many people are crafting since when you enter a store lot all you see is CC. I just do not understand the overall objectives of people complaining so much when the overall result wil be nothing but a fast paced be done the game in 2 hours or less gong show.

Clarification would be great, a shot and sweet response is preferred because I will simply ignore the long boring ones.

G

The difference between the fruit sales and custom content is that EA is getting the simoleans for the cc created, not someone who bought up trees, as others sold them, for years. EA getting that money creates a drain. A player getting that money, keeps it in the game. I still think their best solution to combat the farms would be to run their own EA Fruit Farms. People are paying real money to fruit up, EA could be making that money.

As for suggestions on fixing skilling, I would like to see the speed stay the same as it is when skilling 1-3 points. If you could gain at that rate it would be senseless to me to eat fruit, which gives a random point and seldom ever lands where you want it. But I do realize there are some in the game who will still opt to buy an orchard rather than have to spend any amount of time skilling, there again, EA could be making that money.

Let us get away from the skilling game. I, personally, have had so much more fun playing the game since I decided to stop overskilling and having to constantly be fixing my skills or watching them decay and dreading landing anywhere because of it. But that choice came after I had enough locks to actually maintain some of the interactions I skilled to have too. That also is part of the problem, too few locks. I would like to see people starting with 40 locks, enough to actually skill the things they want and be able to keep them. I always thought they should have made it 2 locks every 21 days when they doubled the amount of skills we could have, but alas that never came to be.

I do realize skilling is the "fun" in the game for some people, but there will always be new players who need to skill, so they can still help them with speed if that is what they enjoy doing.

M

Meggers

Not the problem, the trees are being exploited. That is a fact said by a dev. They are the most unbalanced object in the game because they are the most seeked out object in the game.
-----------------------------------------------------------

That is just dumb. Trees are not being exploited. People can use the trees any way they like. Now if people could make money on trees in a manner other than someone willing to pay for the fruit, then that's an exploit. I personally don't buy fruit even tho I have the funds to do so. If people want to buy fruit, that's their business. It doesn't bring ill gotten gains into the game to wreck the economy. I totally agree with Error23, trees are not the problem, mind numbingly boring skilling is.

M

Meggers

So you say some of the community suggested this. You say you discussed it with community members. I assume those same ones doing the suggesting. I'm pretty sure, if you bothered to read the posts in this thread, it should be apparent to you that not all of this community agrees with the idea. I would hope that in the future, you actually discuss things about the game with more than just the handful of people who consider you a god.
-----------------------------------------------

I guess those of us who don't consider the devs gods are the "unhelpful" feedback crowd.

N

NightFlyer

..."Okay so people are complaining that if their trees are limited to skill lot fruit eating only it will cause and uproar. Can I ask why? the only people that will be affected in my opinion, is the afk store owners. So what if you have to click on a skill house to enter and ask for fruit, doesn't that create something new to do for a few minutes?"...

Allow me clarify this for you.

Some of us don't necessarily want our tree to only function on a skill lot. There are other types of lots we might wish to own and still have access to our fruit (skill points). We also may wish to share our fruit with friends. It has nothing to do with not wanting to enter a skill lot or ask for fruit or being an AFK store owner.

I agree with the "fix the skilling" crowd here. The problem is not the trees and not the fruit but the mind numbing skilling. Give us a better way to skill and the so-called fruit problem will disappear.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The difference between the fruit sales and custom content is that EA is getting the simoleans for the cc created, not someone who bought up trees, as others sold them, for years. EA getting that money creates a drain. A player getting that money, keeps it in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if there was a charge based on the type of fruit and that money went directly to EA? Just to keep it simple, lets say New Fruit was §250, Mature Fruit was §500 and Ripe Fruit was §1,000. This would be deducted from the "eater" when they clicked on the tree to eat the fruit. Whatever arrangement the tree owner had for granting the "eater" access was between them and done prior to the eating.

That would create a drain like CC does and still allow for the player-to-player economy piece.

G

Here is the issue, as long fruit gives a skill point, there will always be the issue with fruit. That is the bottom line. People are greedy. You will never be able to take that away.

M

Meggers

What if there was a charge based on the type of fruit and that money went directly to EA? Just to keep it simple, lets say New Fruit was §250, Mature Fruit was §500 and Ripe Fruit was §1,000. This would be deducted from the "eater" when they clicked on the tree to eat the fruit. Whatever arrangement the tree owner had for granting the "eater" access was between them and done prior to the eating.

That would create a drain like CC does and still allow for the player-to-player economy piece.
------------------------------------------------

People would still charge for eating the fruit. No money drain is needed for fruit. The money to buy it comes from those willing to pay for it, Let's get off the take away game and have the devs actually do something to fix problems. The only solutions I have seen from the devs so far is to take away everything fun in this game. When they are finished all we will be left with is a chatroom full of pixels reading damn books.

G

Maybe you missed Lee's comments above about trees being every unbalanced. Just trying to explore possible solutions. If you have any, feel free to add them.

G

When we all get to EALand, we'll be pretty much skint/broke so its not like everyone will have money to spend on fruit anyway. The current ridiculous prices for fruit in the production cities (3 mill in BF !) will be a thing of the past.

Even 3k will be a lot to spend on a piece of fruit if you start with nothing.

Polly

M

Meggers

When we all get to EALand, we'll be pretty much skint/broke so its not like everyone will have money to spend on fruit anyway. The current ridiculous prices for fruit in the production cities (3 mill in BF !) will be a thing of the past.

Even 3k will be a lot to spend on a piece of fruit if you start with nothing.

Polly
-------------------------------------

Exactly. No one will be able to afford fruit after the merge. I still think the devs would better serve this game by fixing all the broken and bugged stuff in the game and quit worrying about what really doesn't matter.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Here is the issue, as long fruit gives a skill point, there will always be the issue with fruit. That is the bottom line. People are greedy. You will never be able to take that away.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just plain stupid. Look at the cause and not the effect. Skilling is the cause and trees are the effect to counter the boring brainless aspect of the game called skilling.

People also like rare pets and cannons and gnomes and simmy's. So do we take all those away too? This whole issue is like 3 years ago giving someone 100 bucks for a birthday present and then coming back 3 years later and saying I want 50 of it back.

Change skilling and leave the loyalty gift alone. But I guess that would require extra work and it has been seen that EA likes to take the easy way out, example being releasing a glitched and unfinished game to start with. Here is a chance for EA to redeem themselves by doing the right thing and not taking the easy way out. If they want this game to be a success and are willing to throw good money after bad at it then go all out and do it right this time.

M

Meggers

--------------------------------

Some people are greedy, yes. Getting rid of fruit will not change that. Just like house deeds didn't get rid of scammers. The scammers and the greedy will always find a way to feed their passions. I am just sick and damn tired of the only solution being to punish all for the deeds of a few.

G

House deeds was not meant to get rid of scammers. It was meant to give the victims the upper hand so they would not get scammed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just plain stupid. Look at the cause and not the effect. Skilling is the cause and trees are the effect to counter the boring brainless aspect of the game called skilling.

People also like rare pets and cannons and gnomes and simmy's. So do we take all those away too? This whole issue is like 3 years ago giving someone 100 bucks for a birthday present and then coming back 3 years later and saying I want 50 of it back.

Change skilling and leave the loyalty gift alone. But I guess that would require extra work and it has been seen that EA likes to take the easy way out, example being releasing a glitched and unfinished game to start with. Here is a chance for EA to redeem themselves by doing the right thing and not taking the easy way out. If they want this game to be a success and are willing to throw good money after bad at it then go all out and do it right this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should look at the whole situation. You are only considering a cause. My statement is not stupid, in fact it is brilliant. You only take into account one side. That shows you do not support a community. You have to look at cause and effect to solve any problem.

You keep only talking about one side of the issue and completely refuse to look at the other. Maybe step down off that horse before it falls over. Come back down here and consider look at the other side. I have looked at both sides, it still comes down to this:

As long as fruit gives a skill point, this issue of trees will continue to keep coming up. It will come up among the devs as well as players.

And another thing, please bring something suggestive before you attempt to belittle a poster.

I think only owners should be able to use the tree.

G

Right on Ronin.

Also I happen to remember Lee stating above that this is something that may not happen... just something to kick around. So I think everyone needs to relax... this doesn't need to be a mudslinging fest, just a thread where posters post their ideas, likes and dislikes. I'm often in shock to how this community can not have a debate without calling things "dumb" or "stupid" a little creativity in insults is always welcome.

To whoever said that EA is going to end up just a pixelated chat room... think with more imagination. Just because something is taken out of the game, does not mean something else will be put in. I base all my posts on the faith that the game is developing and expanding, that there will be other things to do in game other than skilling, making money and hording rares.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Time for a Poll?

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly... Polls are always fun!
Maybe Gilly would be so kind as to start one. And pls. Hold the frodka.
Thnx

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I prefer discussion to polls. Polls can be easily worded in order to manipulate any results you want. How you ask a question can always determine the results you want to achieve.

As I've stated before. Skill points are a viable product to bought and sold just like simoleans. It is already a fact that people will pay for this product to avoid spending time to achieve the same results for free. As long as we have skill decay there will be a demand for this product. Fruit junkies have proven time and again they will buy fruit over and over again to maintain those high levels of skills.

EA should take this opportunity to directly sell skill points for simoleans and use this as another money drain on the economy. Those people willing to pay for random skill points on a tree would certainly fork over their simoleans to buy blocks of points at a time. How much would you be willing to fork over to buy 40pts all at once just so you can craft that plasma tv for a few days until they decay? Or perhaps you only want the 20pts it takes to craft a computer. New players would not be faced with the undaunting task of trying to skill all those points at once to build a tv. They now have a choice of purchasing simoleans to buy that out of reach plasma or purchasing the skill points so they can try to make one themselves with their own name attached to it. Some new players may want to see what it is like to be a teacher. They can buy the skills they want and try it out.

Once players are given the opportunity to purchase the exact skill points they want they will no longer be interested in random points given by trees. Players that cannot afford to purchase skill points or simoleans will still have the opportunity to invest time in skilling or making simoleans the old fashioned way to achieve the same results.

Older players will still have the advantage of locks. Skill locks become valuable because the longer you pay to play, the less those skill points will cost you in time or money.

I

imported_MooMooLand

Make the Tree so that it only gives skill points to its owner...

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

Re-tuning Option 1-
Trees could be restricted and only used by the owner of the tree.
I don't like this option because viewing the tree for fun is something many of us do together. Especially while teaching. I've often let my roomies eat mature fruit for it's greening properties. For those of us that have all the skills we want or need, the greening aspect of the tree is more valuable and we like to share it.
Edited to add: This would end the sale of fruit but open up a big market for selling trees.

[/ QUOTE ]
They could make it so only the account owner's sims could eat the ripe fruit. Everything else could still be allowed. I agree that viewing a blooming tree is wonderful for greening and I don't think they should restrict viewing of trees for comfort and fun.

<blockquote><hr>

Re-tuning Option 2-
Random rotten fruit could be added to the tree that would kill anyone that ate it.
This would cause the purchase of fruit to be more of a gamble. I know I would be less likely to pay if the result could be my untimely death from bad fruit. As an owner of the tree, the death gamble would be more of a hassle but could also be fun. I could actually offer free fruit to new players after they died repairing one of my lights

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this idea. I have never sold my fruit and it takes me a long time to nurse my trees before they will bear a ripe fruit (usually weeks or months). It would be a real slap in the face to then get killed after waiting all that time. I don't think it would be funny at all or be appropriate for an anniversary gift (which is supposed to be a reward for sticking with the game) to kill you.

G

NOIP
Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the things they write.
Much of what I read is total gibberish - not gibberish in the sense of "Hey! Your opinion is stoopid!", but rather, words and phrases that don't go together, incomplete thoughts and edits, incomprehensible punctuation, double key presses, etc.
C'mon folks - preview your posts for errors before you submit it if you want others to understand what you are trying to say.

I can't tell if you think that what I have to say is stoopid and dumb if it comes out:
"We hat yoi sat is too piodandymb"

G

I suggested this to you Lee in game when trees came up once before.
I am interested to see what other players think and if you have had any more thoughts on it.
I still believe that the best solution to the tree farms is to limit the amount of fruit a sim can eat each day.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP
Much of what I read is total gibberish - not gibberish in the sense of "Hey! Your opinion is stoopid !", but rather, words and phrases that don't go together, incomplete thoughts and edits, incomprehensible punctuation, double key presses, etc.
C'mon folks - preview your posts for errors before you submit it if you want others to understand what you are trying to say.

I can't tell if you think that what I have to say is stoopid and dumb if it comes out:

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, I appreciate what you are trying to say Donavan, but we all make mistakes. Perhaps you should try a spell checker.

I

imported_Spacey

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should look at the whole situation. You are only considering a cause. My statement is not stupid, in fact it is brilliant. You only take into account one side. That shows you do not support a community. You have to look at cause and effect to solve any problem.

You keep only talking about one side of the issue and completely refuse to look at the other. Maybe step down off that horse before it falls over. Come back down here and consider look at the other side. I have looked at both sides, it still comes down to this:

As long as fruit gives a skill point, this issue of trees will continue to keep coming up. It will come up among the devs as well as players.

And another thing, please bring something suggestive before you attempt to belittle a poster.

I think only owners should be able to use the tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you should belittle a poster either, but they are in fact bringing something to the table instead of spouting out a sentence and calling it brilliant.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are trying to say that skilling is what is broken, not necessarily the trees. The trees could have been a poor choice in trying to bandaid a skilling problem (which was not their intention), but they are not the evil here. That is what is meant by the cause and effect. You can't keep covering up the cause for too long, and you can't blame the effect it creates if you do so. The tree suddenly changed from a gift into a "OMG, thank goodness I have something to get a point with because I can't stand that gosh awful skilling. And I am willing to pay for it if I have too...just as long as I don't have to stare at my sim lifting weights all night!!!" I think the frustration here is IF the trees need to be redesigned, why not fix the cause first...skilling. THEN, EA can fix the negatives the tree still has on the economy or skills.

G

Thank you for seeing what was stated and understanding it as it was written.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP
Much of what I read is total gibberish - not gibberish in the sense of "Hey! Your opinion is stoopid !", but rather, words and phrases that don't go together, incomplete thoughts and edits, incomprehensible punctuation, double key presses, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, I appreciate what you are trying to say Donavan, but we all make mistakes. Perhaps you should try a spell checker.

[/ QUOTE ]
That word is, and always has been, a joke.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That word is, and always has been, a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK

G

Skilling isn't the problem. The offline game has skilling. Why would you make the online versions 100% different??? Skilling is what it has always been, skilling and boring.

I

imported_Spacey

<blockquote><hr>

Skilling isn't the problem. The offline game has skilling. Why would you make the online versions 100% different??? Skilling is what it has always been, skilling and boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

They ask us for suggestions, so we are giving them. Don't compare the offline sims to TSO when in the offline version you can press the speed up button and not have to watch them. I do that all the time. Skilling... well...take away the "S" and that is what it's doing to me. :p

Slightly Off topic idea: The offline sims has paintings as a skilling object AND money object. How about giving us skill points while we make money. It would be at a lesser rate that what the skill houses provide. At skilling houses, reverse it. Allow the use of money objects, lower the pay and give us points at the rate of how many people are using the object (and studying to use the object).

I

IndigoSpin

<font color="purple"><blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparisons can't be drawn between the offline game and the online game. Offline, skills don't decay, and, as has already been stated, you can change the simulation speed so that Sims can max their skills in no time. And those are just the most striking differences.

Skilling is the real problem. You can only watch your Sim sit and read a book, decay back to zero, and do it all over again before you say to yourself, you know what, shelling out money for fruit is a better use of my resources.

However, the dev team won't fix skilling because that would require work. So we'll probably get to look forward to hastily tweaked trees in the future! :p</font>

G

trees taking over the city

Reminds me of "The Day of the Triffids". Most of the people in that movie were blind, too.

F

frogger2

Has anyone on the devs team thought to make trees fruit editable only to the owners? that I believe will end this whole bit in itself. it really should be easy to do just a bit of change in code and wow just like that no more tree farms no more profits for tree owners nothing to make the dev nervous on players holding tons of trees....in fact if only the tree owners can eat the fruit I believe that noone will have any problems with anyone owning alot of trees as long as they know the owners arnt making a profit off of poor old sims. just a thought lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

trees taking over the city

Reminds me of "The Day of the Triffids". Most of the people in that movie were blind, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG! I heard there was another person, besides me, who had seen that movie - but I thot that claim was just an urban legend.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you can finally see why eating a ripe to fill a lock is much better than watching a toon read a book for several hours. Skilling being such a boring thing is what gives ripes their value. Make skilling more interactive and fun and trees become less popular.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="purple"><blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparisons can't be drawn between the offline game and the online game. Offline, skills don't decay, and, as has already been stated, you can change the simulation speed so that Sims can max their skills in no time. And those are just the most striking differences.

Skilling is the real problem. You can only watch your Sim sit and read a book, decay back to zero, and do it all over again before you say to yourself, you know what, shelling out money for fruit is a better use of my resources.

However, the dev team won't fix skilling because that would require work. So we'll probably get to look forward to hastily tweaked trees in the future! :p</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, unfortunately I believe you are right on the 'hastily' tweaked trees.

I've reread this thread a few times and have done a lot of debating offline amongst a couple of friends.

Unfortunately I've come to a new conclusion about this subject, I see now as 'other' players trying to say how they think 'everyone else' should play.

I had to think about 'why' I don't care for tree farms and it's basically because I don't care for that type of 'game play'. I choose not to play that way but it's NONE of my business if someone else does.

I truly believe that whether people sell fruit or not, have tree farms or not, eat fruit for skills or not..are mostly 'game play' choices that should be left to the players.

The trees are an anniversary gift. Whether someone keeps theirs, gives it away or sells it, really should be up to them. It's THEIR game play choice and really is not up to all the rest of us to tell them what to do.

The basic use of the trees should not change.