• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trees...

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I did not say that I have played for 5 yrs solely for fruit. Im saying that the trees should be allowed too work on all lots as they were intended as an anniversary gift!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem, you affirm yourself to know what the intentions of something were when it was put into the game. Only the devs at the time know the true intentions. It may have been allowed on every lot, but I highly doubt that it was meant to be exploited.

It was an anniversary gift TO YOU for YOU to use. Not make millions off of selling to other people.

I am not a dev and what I have stated is my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I do not know the intentions of things that are put into this game. Never said I did. All I said was that the trees should be allowed to work on all lots. Being they were anniversary gifts that meant they were to work on ALL lots.

You call the multitude of trees being sold to tree farmers as an exploit? Yes while I agree with you that anniversary gifts were meant to be just that "gifts", the fact is EA made them sellable, not I.

Not once anywhere have I ever read it was against the rules of the game for people to sell their anniversary gifts to others. Not everyone sold their gifts for rl money either I know of many that sold them for simoleans. I for one still have ALL of my anniversary gifts.

I have been very saddened to see people selling their simmies and other gifts to make a quick profit. But the fact is as long as they continue to be sellable how can you say that people buying them exploited them? I agree many sold the simoleans that they got from selling fruit for rl money, but it wasnt an exploit it was in their eyes profit. Was it right for them to do this..I say no but EA never stopped them from doing it. Its only an exploit if its done illegally.

That still doesnt make it right to take the trees and make them work only on a skill lot.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

The second issue of selling rares in an EA store I would be for. I think it would be a great money drain for the game as well as profitable for EA. I believe however you should only be able to purchase anniversary gifts that your account would be entitled to and bought gifts would have to stay with that account. The gifts could be traded between your other sims on that account but that is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the rares and anniversary gifts are readily available at the EA store, what would be the point of limiting them so that only one account could use them? If they would be for sale only for people who are "entitled" then who would buy them? It would seem that there would be a mighty slim market of customers if only the entitled are allowed to purchase, especially if they were unable to give or sell those items. How many statues, trees and campfires does one account need?

If the rares and anniversary gifts are to be available for sale, I think we need to get over thinking of them as rares and/or anniversary gifts. They will be game objects, nothing more.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The second issue of selling rares in an EA store I would be for. I think it would be a great money drain for the game as well as profitable for EA. I believe however you should only be able to purchase anniversary gifts that your account would be entitled to and bought gifts would have to stay with that account. The gifts could be traded between your other sims on that account but that is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the rares and anniversary gifts are readily available at the EA store, what would be the point of limiting them so that only one account could use them? If they would be for sale only for people who are "entitled" then who would buy them? It would seem that there would be a mighty slim market of customers if only the entitled are allowed to purchase, especially if they were unable to give or sell those items. How many statues, trees and campfires does one account need?

If the rares and anniversary gifts are to be available for sale, I think we need to get over thinking of them as rares and/or anniversary gifts. They will be game objects, nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dali, you are very right. It makes me sad to agree but its true, they will be nothing more than regular objects in the game now. The honor of owning a tree or pet statue, hell even the simmies is lost and gone forever.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I hear that Parizad and Lee talked of making mystic trees only give fruit on skill lots last night at the pub.

I hope this isn't something that's been decided on already. Those trees were anniversary gifts for staying with this game for two years, paying our monthly fees for 24 months, and now they want to switch how they work? Being forced to live in a skill lot to use them just isn't right. This, to me, is another slap in the face to all of us who bothered to stick with this game. I was completely appalled to see them thinking of selling anniversary gifts and simmies, which would completely devalue them and take away all meaning they had to start with, and now this, uggggggh I can't put into words how disgusted I am.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am incensed over this possible development. The mystic tree is an anniversary gift and not a skilling object like a bookcase or mirror. It gives a gift of a random skill point. To now restrict the tree's full benefits to sims who only live on skill lots is just plain wrong and this type of restriction would not solve the the problem of tree farms either.

If they want to kill the tree farms why not just make it so only the owner of the tree can eat the fruit.

[/ QUOTE ]

remflyer,
I really like your thinking.
Actually thinking about it.
An owner of a tree should be able to eat their tree fruit on their lot no matter what category that lot falls into.
But it would be nice if nobody but an owner could access the fruit from this tree. This would also help do away with all the little blocking people have to put up to stop the dreaded fruit theif.

Selling at the EA store should be limited to accounts that are at least 2 years old.

That way people who played this game for five years to eat fruit can still be happy!

G

<blockquote><hr>

If Im' going to continue playing a game, I would hope that the people in charge of running this game won't ruin it with the same old mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their mistake was stopping to advertise, taking the game out of stores, creating yet more cities when already there was a decline of players and then completely abandoning the game, giving it no updates, for years. It had nothing to do with the way the game was first created, nor with giving out a gift for the 2nd year anniversary that was actually something people loved. It had nothing to do with people having money. It had nothing to do with anything they've taken from us. I see them making mistake after mistake, taking away so many of the things that made it worth staying and playing for those of us who have. One mistake after another. Surely they could have implemented custom content without the need to ruin the rest of the game in the process. They could have also sold simoleans. As long as there are new players there will be a market for simoleans, just as there always has been. EA made the mistake of not getting in on that market from the start. They left the door wide open for the entrepreneurs in the game to find ways to earn a living. They did little to stop the botting. They did nothing to stop the tree farms. Yet now they want to ruin the use of the trees for everyone who isn't on a skill lot. Yeah that makes a lot of sense to me... NOT.

If I'm going to continue playing a game, I would hope that the people in charge wake the hell up and start learning from their past mistakes and do something right for a change!

R

Rach

<blockquote><hr>

They did nothing to stop the tree farms. Yet now they want to ruin the use of the trees for everyone who isn't on a skill lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

o rly. Either way, for SOMEONE, the use of trees are ruined. Just as you had the free will to not use tree farms, other people had the free will to do so. What it sounds like is that, you just don't want things ruined for you and only you.

What it comes down to is, at least they are trying to do something for the game. They aren't trying to kill it. And if they do things just to please one person, they've just killed it completely.

It's time to suck it up and take the good with the bad. There were no set rules about how you could and could not use your trees. I for one, bought a lot of fruit from tree farms, because skilling is like dying the slowest most painful death to me.

<blockquote><hr>

I would hope that the people in charge wake the hell up and start learning from their past mistakes and do something right for a change!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, that's why I'm so glad to see that they are doing just that. Thanks Devs!

G

Hope this makes sense - it's late here.....

If they start selling the trees is this just going to be in TC3? Or in EA Land when it opens?

Surely ...... if it's just in TC3 then if people use their brains they wont buy them unless they plan on staying in TC3 regularly enough to grow the fruit after EA Land opens?

If this is going to be for EALand I will be wanting the tree back that 'poofed' from my lot (thanks EA
) in BF a few months back.

It's prolly all our missing tree pixels they are selling anyway ........... joke

I have them (or did have 2) on a skill lot and use it for teaching as well as guests using it for greening, I think i had a grand total of 4 skill points from them before abandoning BF for TC3.

I like the idea that only the tree owner can eat the fruit:) Saves me having to virtually put them behind barbed wire so theives aren't able to just help themselves

Lets face it, if people want to make money from the game they WILL find a way to do it - changing the way Mystic trees work itsn't going to make these people go away.

*off to bed - will re-read and correct if it needs it, in the morning*

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

They did nothing to stop the tree farms. Yet now they want to ruin the use of the trees for everyone who isn't on a skill lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

o rly. Either way, for SOMEONE, the use of trees are ruined. Just as you had the free will to not use tree farms, other people had the free will to do so. What it sounds like is that, you just don't want things ruined for you and only you.

What it comes down to is, at least they are trying to do something for the game. They aren't trying to kill it. And if they do things just to please one person, they've just killed it completely.

It's time to suck it up and take the good with the bad. There were no set rules about how you could and could not use your trees. I for one, bought a lot of fruit from tree farms, because skilling is like dying the slowest most painful death to me.

<blockquote><hr>

I would hope that the people in charge wake the hell up and start learning from their past mistakes and do something right for a change!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, that's why I'm so glad to see that they are doing just that. Thanks Devs!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it just me or is there a problem with some of you not knowing how to read? Or is it just the fact that you are here solely to grief other peoples posting?

I didnt see anywhere in CG's post that she wants the tree farmers or anyone elses use of the trees ruined. What I saw and agree with is that the trees should be left to be used as they have always been, on any lot.

Why should people get upset at tree farmers anyway? If you dont like them selling fruit then you dont go to their store. You admitted to buying fruit so what's your problem here? How do you figure if the trees are left alone to function as they have been that SOMEONE'S use of the trees will be ruined? You can still go buy fruit if you want to and we can still have them working on any lot we own.

If you like how this game is being "fixed" well thats your opinion and you're entitled to it. I for one do not agree but I am entitled to my opinions also. Funny how that works isnt it?

M

Meggers

Fruit farmers are the minority. Most of us(myself included) use our trees for ourselves and don't sell fruit. I don't want to be limited to one catagory to use an anniversary gift, that is just stupid. How long before you people decide to just take the damn things away completely. Stop playing take away with this game. How about fixing all the crap that is so screwed up in the game, especially in TC3. The lag in that city is beyond intollerable and we are sick of getting stuck in houses and not being able to play until someone closes the house you tried to land in. You folks go on and keep taking stuff away from us, you are just pounding nails in the coffin of this game.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Fruit farmers are the minority. Most of us(myself included) use our trees for ourselves and don't sell fruit. I don't want to be limited to one catagory to use an anniversary gift, that is just stupid. How long before you people decide to just take the damn things away completely. Stop playing take away with this game. How about fixing all the crap that is so screwed up in the game, especially in TC3. The lag in that city is beyond intollerable and we are sick of getting stuck in houses and not being able to play until someone closes the house you tried to land in. You folks go on and keep taking stuff away from us, you are just pounding nails in the coffin of this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meggers, you took the words right out of my mouth, er, off my fingers...

When I think of all the people I know in game, it is clear most love their trees, cherish their trees, keep their trees and would go postal if they discovered their trees could only be used on a skill lot. The number of players who are tree farmers is miniscule. The number of players who eat their way to skill levels is small. The number of players who display their trees proudly is the majority.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of limiting the selling of gifts to only those sims which are entitled is to make longevity in the game mean something. I don't think someone should be able to buy a simmy who was not a founder or a new account should be allowed to buy things that have only been available as a reward for those who stuck with the game. This means you also need to limit secondary selling or the giving away of anniversary gifts.

I think there will still be a good market for anniversary gifts on entitled accounts. You will have many sims on one account with each sim able to own at least one lot. I'm sure many players would like to see trees, pet statue, etc., on each of their properties.

Make it so only the owner of the tree (account holder) can eat the fruit. If you do that I'm sure you will then see many entitled accounts that would buy their own private orchard for their sims.

Of course anyone could buy new rare cats or dogs or some other great objects that EA might make. Only EA has the tools to make really sophisticated objects like our mystic tree. I'm sure they can come up with some new great things that only they can sell.

N

nobuttkisser

Well, since some of you mul-tree owners who decides to "horde" trees like they are going out of style, and then want to charge an astronimical fee just to eat the fruit from something you probably got for free in the first place.... Don't get mad. the Dev's only doing their job, looking for, and cutting out ways a person can possibly cincumvent the "system" now you have a lot of trees that just give fruit... so you reap what you sow lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well, since some of you mul-tree owners who decides to "horde" trees like they are going out of style, and then want to charge an astronimical fee just to eat the fruit from something you probably got for free in the first place.... Don't get mad. the Dev's only doing their job, looking for, and cutting out ways a person can possibly cincumvent the "system" now you have a lot of trees that just give fruit... so you reap what you sow lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone really blame the tree farms for charging astronomical prices when there are players actually willing to pay it?

As for EA making money off of it? Well, now we go back to....everyone has been buying simoleans to buy fruit all this time anyway. Why is it so obscene to think players should buy simoleans from EA instead of the middleman?

IF sims refused to pay those prices, the tree farms would either lower their prices or close up.

Players give the tree farms a very willing and eager to pay market.

I could care less if players want to wip out their visas and buy a ton of simoleans in order to possess skills on sims that can never sustain them.

I very well suspect that much of the money earned through tree farms probably comes back into the game via 'selling' the simoleans back to the very players that are buying that fruit.

With ATM machines in the game, simoleans will be easier to get right in the game. Even IF simoleans are cheaper on private websites, there are players that will pay the higher price just for the convenience of getting those simoleans RIGHT NOW. Instant gratification! It will make EA rich. And who is really to blame? EA or the folks willing to shell out the money?

Why would EA close up tree farms when they probably will be a great source of income for EA?

R

Rach

<blockquote><hr>

Is it just me or is there a problem with some of you not knowing how to read? Or is it just the fact that you are here solely to grief other peoples posting?

I didnt see anywhere in CG's post that she wants the tree farmers or anyone elses use of the trees ruined. What I saw and agree with is that the trees should be left to be used as they have always been, on any lot.

Why should people get upset at tree farmers anyway? If you dont like them selling fruit then you dont go to their store. You admitted to buying fruit so what's your problem here? How do you figure if the trees are left alone to function as they have been that SOMEONE'S use of the trees will be ruined? You can still go buy fruit if you want to and we can still have them working on any lot we own.

If you like how this game is being "fixed" well thats your opinion and you're entitled to it. I for one do not agree but I am entitled to my opinions also. Funny how that works isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last thing i have ever thought is that I'm the only one who is entitled to their own opinion, and nowhere did i say she shouldn't. So, I'm not sure what you are going for there, but okay. Who is here solely to grief other's postings? I'm sorry, but i don't find your veiled attempts at finger pointing necessary, whether it's pointing at me or anyone else in the thread.

I was responding to her statement "They did nothing to stop the tree farms. Yet now they want to ruin the use of the trees for everyone who isn't on a skill lot. "

I feel that the Devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they would have stopped the tree farms, sure some people would have been happy, but many others would not have. Now, by making this change, it's the same situation. I did NOT say she wanted it ruined for another player or a group of players. But I feel either way things end up, somebody will think they did the wrong thing.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

The last thing i have ever thought is that I'm the only one who is entitled to their own opinion, and nowhere did i say she shouldn't. So, I'm not sure what you are going for there, but okay. Who is here solely to grief other's postings? I'm sorry, but i don't find your veiled attempts at finger pointing necessary, whether it's pointing at me or anyone else in the thread.

I was responding to her statement "They did nothing to stop the tree farms. Yet now they want to ruin the use of the trees for everyone who isn't on a skill lot. "

I feel that the Devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they would have stopped the tree farms, sure some people would have been happy, but many others would not have. Now, by making this change, it's the same situation. I did NOT say she wanted it ruined for another player or a group of players. But I feel either way things end up, somebody will think they did the wrong thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Rach. I for one do not understand why a simple disagreement of opinions upsets one so much. Thats not very community building

How can we as posters toss around ideas if we are always going at each others throats? Honestly.

We all have a right to our opinions. And when and if EA reads this thread they will take into consideration the well thought out posts on both sides of the arguments rather than the mindless bitter rants.

G

NOIP (TTL)
I'm having a hard time believing what I'm reading.....

Here comes EA - thinking about taking something else away - and a lot of players are agreeing with them.

This time, it's an anniversary gift that they are unhappy with. What's it going to be tomorrow?

It seems to me that every time a way is found to have fun in the game, or a means of making simoleons is thought up, or some (God forbid) way of overcoming the boredom is devised - EA steps in and applies the kibosh.
And now.... they have the players, themselves, lending a helping hand.

If the goal is to reduce the over-exploitatation of trees, there are other ways to do it than to disable part of it's function or banish it to a single type of lot.
What good is an anniversary gift that can only be used on a specific lot if you don't have that type of lot?

This idea is so bad it's evil.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP (TTL)

Here comes EA - thinking about taking something else away - and a lot of players are agreeing with them.

This time, it's an anniversary gift that they are unhappy with. What's it going to be tomorrow?

It seems to me that every time a way is found to have fun in the game, or a means of making simoleons is thought up, or some (God forbid) way of overcoming the boredom is devised - EA steps in and applies the kibosh.

If the goal is to reduce the over-exploitatation of trees, there are other ways to do it than to disable part of it's function or banish it to a single type of lot.
What good is an anniversary gift that can only be used on a specific lot if you don't have that type of lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Donavan and I think the issue is that the game is being "fixed" by people who do not and have not played the game other than to have a look around. The game is a joke anymore and clearly being misguided and influenced by people who do not have the game players best interests in mind. As for trees, who cares, this ship is sinking faster than TPTB can bail the water now anyway.

I'll stick with playing SL and plan to put more time into that and phase this game out completely. I'm sure many will find other games to play as well. It was fun while it lasted but TSO is going to hell in a handbasket and is being carried there by the same people that came here to "fix the economy". "Fix the economy", lmao, that still makes me chuckle.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP (TTL)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Donavan and I think the issue is that the game is being "fixed" by people who do not and have not played the game other than to have a look around. The game is a joke anymore and clearly being misguided and influenced by people who do not have the game players best interests in mind. As for trees, who cares, this ship is sinking faster than TPTB can bail the water now anyway.

I'll stick with playing SL and plan to put more time into that and phase this game out completely. I'm sure many will find other games to play as well. It was fun while it lasted but TSO is going to hell in a handbasket and is being carried there by the same people that came here to "fix the economy". "Fix the economy", lmao, that still makes me chuckle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two excellent posts for sure. When will players learn that farms will adapt to any and every change EA throws at them. Just like the botters of old days overcame every bot prevention that was placed in the game. If trees only work on skill lots well the farms will move to the skill category and sell it wont bother them. If limits are placed on how many trees per property then they'll just have multiple properties.

Why is everyone so concerned with what others do? just play your game and don't visit these lots if you don't like them. Every week when i come here ALL I see is the same group of posters complaining about yet another aspect of the game and wanting it changed, cripld or done away with. Soon, well it pretty much is now, but soon this game will be utterly changed so badly ill not be worth playing...

For the life of me if I was a newbie coming to the game now I surely would NOT stay at all. Having no startup money ($100? big crap!), having no catalog, having only 1 city to try, having all the many other limitations of the free trial. I'd be like this game is a joke why would I even pay $10 a month to play.

I also LAUGH at the economy fix. ALL that was really needed was a money wipe in the other cities, not all this other bull crap which in reality isn't going to fix a thing. The same poblems of the past 5 years wil still exist the only difference will be that initially it'll be tough to get started, but after a week or two people will be selling rares/simoleans same as before. It'll just take longer for them to earn the money, but that will be reflected in their new selling prices. As it is if you look on the web prices for TC3 are higher then the regular cities ever were even in the beginning so i'm sure the dealers don't care.

L

ladywolf

Just tagging last post

Please leave my tree be, I earned it; and want it to work where ever I choose to live!

G

That was sweet. Okay, you swayed my opinion.

I think it should work on any lot. I also believe ONLY the owner of the tree should be allowed to eat the fruit. That solves the problem of exploitation.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rach? You responded to me....but you quoted someone else's comment.

Just wanted to point that out. (I believe that was Bindy's comment.)

R

Rach

Yeah... I just hit reply. Figured that since I wasn't quoting you that you'd figure it out. Sorry for the confusion

G

NOIP

Trees are the most <u>powerful and unbalanced objects</u> in the game. When Maxis gave out trees, the really good players saw that the game had changed and a different game had emerged, which was now “GET A TREE” at any cost and get as many as possible. That is why there are tree farms. The tree farmers are the true power players in the game.

If Maxis had released trees that gave out a zillion simoleans instead of 10 simoleans they would call that a bug. A bug that would get fixed. The trees are so powerful they are a bug and need to be fixed, in spite of the fact that they are gifts.

A gift is not excluded from tuning based upon changing game parameters. The trees are powerful and I am sure EA will find a way to fix them that balance them out and still let everyone stop feeling sick over this digital object.

I am sure they are trying to find a way to balance them in a fair manner - which is why they are still in the game unchanged.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The tree farmers are the true power players in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't exactly call them "players."

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Tagging last.....

Restricting trees to giving skill points only on skill lots will only lead to more scams of people selling fruit.

Sure you can use a pay door anywhere, but where is the secure trade of fruit if you have to pay to go thru 3 doors to get to it. What if you pay to get through two doors only to find the 3rd door completely locked or in need of a code.

Secure sales of fruit have been long established in store lots and people actually get what they pay for.

The problem with the game is not the trees!

The problem with the game is that people would rather pay for their skill points than spend the time earn them.

Want to devalue the use of mystic trees then give us a secure transaction to just purchase skill points directly from EA. Duh!

TSO has always revolved around time vs money. Those willing to spend the time can earn all the simoleans they ever need. Those with less time to spend prefer to pay real cash for those same simoleans. Skill points work the same way. You can either spend the time earning them for free or pay real cash to get them sooner. Skill points are a commidity just like simoleans are a commodity. If EA intends to buy and sell simoleans, why not devise a way to buy and sell those skill points earned in game as well.

I

imported_Spacey

IMO, I don't find that trees were the demise of the game. If they became too "powerful" (as someone put it), it was due to the lack of anything else to rival its grandness. We haven't even gotten our 4th year gifts, and I am not sure when 5th was/is due. Updates are necessarary to a game. Even the best of games, if left stagnant, become dull. That is when the "sim break" occurs. You risk people taking that break from the game and never coming back. Mostly we come back for the sentimental value, to keep our items from poofing, and friends... Isn't it time we come back for something "new and improved." I hope that EAland is just that. The last thing that EA should do is take away permissions on gifts. They should focus on the addition of items, capabilities, skills, interactions.... not the restrictions.

(Edited to take out something, that upon second read, sounded unintentionally ugly)

G

You did well to copy Lee's speech on the evils of trees in the game, I too have heard the speech.

But I must agree with a previous poster where it was said the game is being fixed by people who do not play the game on a regular basis.

If you want to avoid the evil trees then do not buy the fruit. It seems as though people who buy fruit do not like the long boring hours of skilling. If I were to devalue trees it would be by making skilling something people like to do. I would also slow skill decay down to almost no loss at all.

I also think a lot of the hoopla over trees here is by those who have not played the game long enough to have earned any trees.

N

NightFlyer

..."I also think a lot of the hoopla over trees here is by those who have not played the game long enough to have earned any trees."

I couldn't agree more

M

Meggers

The tree farmers are the true power players in the game.
-----------------------------------------

So what? Any object either RL or in game is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. If some folks want to eat fruit instead of skill, so what? If people want to sell fruit, so what? Not everyone plays the game the same, that's always been the beauty of it. But just like in RL, you have to take the bad with the good. If someone isn't playing the way you would like them to, just go to another house. Play your own game and leave others to do it their way. There is nothing illegal about buying or selling fruit. I hate skilling but I do it anyway in TC3 instead of fruiting. In AV and BF I have my sims teach each other and never set foot in a skill house. I really don't see why folks get their knickers in a twist over fruit farms. All I know is that I earned my trees and I don't want limitations put on them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Trees are the most powerful and unbalanced objects in the game

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey, maybe soon we'll be seeing mystic trees stampeding through the cities wreaking havoc wherever they go ......

Seriously, I don't get the big deal. And I really don't see why we all have to be penalised (by not being able to grow and enjoy a skill point from fruit from the trees that were given to us many years ago on any category of lot we care to live at).

There were simolean sellers long before there were trees. Selling fruit may have given them something concrete to sell, before that people were selling simmies, statues, pets, founder accounts, you name it, someone sold it.

If EA want to compete with or undercut the tree sellers, then wonderful - I'm sure people would prefer to pick which skill point they're going to get when purchasing if they can do so from EA. Add to that being able to buy additional locks to go with the skill point and EA will be minting it.

People have been asking for a more interesting way to gain skills (and prevent decay) for um .... probably about 4 and a half years now. A few enterprising players saw a way to capitalise on this, all credit to them. If EA can also see a money spinner here then thats great too.

Why any of this should mean that I now have to change to a skill category if I want to make full use of the lovely gift that EA gave me so many years ago to thank me for my loyalty to the game is beyond me.

Polly

I

imported_Spacey

<blockquote><hr>

Blimey, maybe soon we'll be seeing mystic trees stampeding through the cities wreaking havoc wherever they go ......

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the biggest laugh just picturing my trees taking over the city, clogging toliets, breaking lights, eating out of the vending machines and throwing trash everywhere.

They just might if this change occurs!!

I

imported_LFancey

Ronin Dex,

Well put and as some posters have pointed out my feelings as well. I have seen many people borrow my thoughts in posts nothing wrong with that since I assume they share a similar point of view. A few comments on trees.

They are an unbalanciing force in the game, the object was not well thought out, and we would like to find a way to tune it. I am oft amused at the angst over the discussions of potential future thoughts and directions about things. We discused the limitation of trees to skill lots as a possible idea and one that was actually suggested by community members. It has not been done yet. May never be done. Bit one thing is cleare something will need to be done.

It being an aniversary gift does not exclude it from being tuned. But again I would ask you to consider that we discuss ideas with you. Possibilities on direction. Helpful feed back is feed back that provides ways to balance the game, there are a few examples in this thread. Unhelpful feed back is found in this thread also.

Forest Gump Voice, "And thats all I have to say about this."

Cheers and remember these are thougths and ideas we discuss. "The Future is Open wide mmmhhhmmm"

Cheers,

Lee

G

So change skilling, not trees. The reason people want trees is to avoid the boredom of skilling. Skilling is the cause, trees are just a solution to the bordom. Make earning a skill point a one time thing and get rid of skill decay altogether. Why skill the same thing over and over again when you can use a ripe of your own or buy one rather than suffer through that boredom over an over?

I also suggest you take a sim and skill it over and over again and then tell us all how fun skilling is, oh and then do it over and over for years. Some fun eh.

G

One thing to remember is, <u>don't remember what happened over the past 5 years.</u> That was TSO. TSO is dead now.

It's EALand. A new game. Different in a variety of ways from TSO. This is a new game built from an old one. It's not going to be the same old game. Sometimes for change to happen things that were the norm must not be the norm any longer. This is true of the trees.

Whether anyone likes it or not, the game is evolving into EALand. You can't keep claiming the last 5 years this and the last 5 years that. It's time to look ahead to a new millenia. Time to get up and accept that the past is that, the past. If we all look forward, as a community, this new game can be better than TSO.

We as a community need to move forward. We as a community, despite our petty differences, need to group together to merge into this brand new world and embrace it. Embrace as if it was our own new love child, for this is the only way it will survive.

G

I don't need a love child, I want a playable game. I can only base my thoughts on what is known about the future of TSO and that is very limited do to the fact that not a lot of factual information is out there on what this new game will be like. So as far as the future goes I think we are being treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed a lot of BS.

G

The whole about the trees, here is the first post again:

<blockquote><hr>

I hear that Parizad and Lee talked of making mystic trees only give fruit on skill lots last night at the pub.

I hope this isn't something that's been decided on already. Those trees were anniversary gifts for staying with this game for two years, paying our monthly fees for 24 months, and now they want to switch how they work? Being forced to live in a skill lot to use them just isn't right. This, to me, is another slap in the face to all of us who bothered to stick with this game. I was completely appalled to see them thinking of selling anniversary gifts and simmies, which would completely devalue them and take away all meaning they had to start with, and now this, uggggggh I can't put into words how disgusted I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bolded the important part. It was talk. Not set in stone. So far, anything that has been set in stone, has been posted at the blog. And if there is BS being fed to us there, I want to see it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I bolded the important part. It was talk. Not set in stone. So far, anything that has been set in stone, has been posted at the blog. And if there is BS being fed to us there, I want to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest reading the blog from day one. Thats the most logical place to start looking if you want to see it.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that trees are not the problem, it is skilling that is the problem.

PROBLEM = SKILLING OVER AND OVER

PLAYER SOLUTION = Mystic Tree Ripes

G

I have read it. I have yet to find BS in it. If there is, would kindly point me in the right <u>link</u> direction.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest reading the blog from day one. Thats the most logical place to start looking if you want to see it.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that trees are not the problem, it is skilling that is the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the problem, the trees are being exploited. That is a fact said by a dev. They are the most unbalanced object in the game because they are the most seeked out object in the game.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the problem, the trees are being exploited. That is a fact said by a dev. They are the most unbalanced object in the game because they are the most seeked out object in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

In every game I have ever played you have had to repeat a process x number of times to sustain your position or advance in the game. Most games call it gaining experience. TSO calls it maintaining skills.

So skilling over and over is not new or specific to TSO. It's a pattern throughout MMOG land. Ripe fruits allow you to bypass that pattern and essentially "level up" your sim to maximum capabilities instantly (as fruit and money/time to gain it allow). That is not a solution that is skipping forward based on preference.

It's called powerleveling. If you want to isolate yourself from skillhouses and basically skip the social aspect of the game.. then what's the point? Just open a damn store to earn your money. It takes as much time devotion as growing trees (the legal way).

The reason your sims are online is to interact. Even if it means running to a skillhouse for 15 seconds to eat fruit.

Like I said before, if being able to eat your tree fruit is the basis for you playing this game.. you can buy an apple for less than $10/month irl.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ronin Dex,

Well put and as some posters have pointed out my feelings as well. I have seen many people borrow my thoughts in posts nothing wrong with that since I assume they share a similar point of view. A few comments on trees.

They are an unbalanciing force in the game, the object was not well thought out, and we would like to find a way to tune it. I am oft amused at the
angst over the discussions of potential future thoughts and directions about things. We discused the limitation of trees to skill lots as a possible idea and one that was actually suggested by community members. It has not been done yet. May never be done. Bit one thing is cleare something will need to be done.

It being an aniversary gift does not exclude it from being tuned. But again I would ask you to consider that we discuss ideas with you. Possibilities on direction. Helpful feed back is feed back that provides ways to balance the game, there are a few examples in this thread. Unhelpful feed back is found in this thread also.

Forest Gump Voice, "And thats all I have to say about this."

Cheers and remember these are thougths and ideas we discuss. "The Future is Open wide mmmhhhmmm"

Cheers,

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

So you say some of the community suggested this. You say you discussed it with community members. I assume those same ones doing the suggesting. I'm pretty sure, if you bothered to read the posts in this thread, it should be apparent to you that not all of this community agrees with the idea. I would hope that in the future, you actually discuss things about the game with more than just the handful of people who consider you a god.

As another poster stated, it's not the trees that is the problem here. It's the way skilling works. It's the mind numbing boredom of skilling and reskilling that has harmed this game since the skills were increased to 20.99. Now I've also seen mention of possibly raising that top skill level. I really hope you guys wisen up about the skilling aspects of this game. Yes skills should be here, they are a big part of "the sims" and we expect to have them. But I've got news, I, and I'm sure a lot of others who played the offline sims games, found nifty hacked objects to download, for free mind you, that made it possible to give our sims all the skills we wanted them to have, instantly. Sort of like your skills in TC3, Lee. It's the skilling that needs fixed, not the trees. Fix the skilling and the trees will lose their value, simple as that.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

NOIP

Trees are the most <u>powerful and unbalanced objects</u> in the game. When Maxis gave out trees, the really good players saw that the game had changed and a different game had emerged, which was now “GET A TREE” at any cost and get as many as possible. That is why there are tree farms. The tree farmers are the true power players in the game.

If Maxis had released trees that gave out a zillion simoleans instead of 10 simoleans they would call that a bug. A bug that would get fixed. The trees are so powerful they are a bug and need to be fixed, in spite of the fact that they are gifts.

A gift is not excluded from tuning based upon changing game parameters. The trees are powerful and I am sure EA will find a way to fix them that balance them out and still let everyone stop feeling sick over this digital object.

I am sure they are trying to find a way to balance them in a fair manner - which is why they are still in the game unchanged.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a perfect statement. I agree 100%. The trees had unforseen downsides that made some players happy.. and overall took away the social aspect of the game.

I was once a tree farmer. I spent hours and hours in TSO and spoke to no one because I set it up for max efficiency with min effort.

My first sim to get maxed skills did it via a lot of skilling and some teaching. I was damn proud of that because it was effort.. and I met a great person with a great online family through the teaching. Know what I got from tree farming? A lot of simoleans that are now worthless.

G

Fixing skilling will not cause trees to lose their value. It will make them just as valuable. Based on the fact that, I would be able to go out and spend money to get all of my skills up. In no way does fixing skilling fix the tree problem. No matter how you turn it, twist words, whatever, you are suggesting that trees still give skill points. No matter what, that still makes them just as valuable as ever.

G

How do you figure exactly?

If skills don't decay so fast, you won't need to continue to reskill constantly.
Or for those who fruit up, they won't need a fruit nearly as often.

If skilling is faster, why waste money on fruit to start with?

How could it not make them less valuable.

If a majority of the people aren't needing to be in skill houses most of the time... maybe, just maybe, there would be more fun to be had in the game.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to bust your bubble here but Lee has never played the game like WE have and had to sit through years of skilling and reskilling. I take Dev comments about game play with a grain of salt. We have good Dev's but they do not know a lot about actual gameplay and how WE the players play this game. Altering trees in my opinion is taking the easy way out of not having to code fun/changes into the skill game. There are so many great ideas on the the wiki to make skilling fun and at the same time add NEW things to do in the game, why those ideas are not being incorporated is beyond me. Luc asked for ideas and plenty were offered, very very few have been incorporated, so why bother.

I

imported_corpatortis

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure the Devs have statistics on just about everything in the game. The Stratics population is a small percentage and the population agreeing with YOU is even smaller. So throw your "we" out.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Fixing skilling will not cause trees to lose their value. It will make them just as valuable. Based on the fact that, I would be able to go out and spend money to get all of my skills up. In no way does fixing skilling fix the tree problem. No matter how you turn it, twist words, whatever, you are suggesting that trees still give skill points. No matter what, that still makes them just as valuable as ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are totally wrong about this. Money in EA Land is not going to be nearly as plentiful as it is in TC3 and with that FACT in mind fruit will become less valuable. Now if people want to pay EA to buy simoleans so thay can buy ripes then GREAT SUPER FANTASTIC as that is the true intentions of the changes in the game anyway. Skilling sucks as it stands now, we do it because someone who does not play this game thinks that is what we should be doing.(BS) Skilling is what is killing the game, not the trees. EA Land might as well be called Titanic II if skilling is not changed.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

How do you figure exactly?

If skills don't decay so fast, you won't need to continue to reskill constantly.
Or for those who fruit up, they won't need a fruit nearly as often.

If skilling is faster, why waste money on fruit to start with?

How could it not make them less valuable.

If a majority of the people aren't needing to be in skill houses most of the time... maybe, just maybe, there would be more fun to be had in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREED!

This whole tree issue is just another case of the cart before the horse.