• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Champion Spawns Additions

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, having an item out of the reach of the vast, vast majority of players (who never set foot in Felucca and never join spawn guilds? I'd definitely argue that is one of the most valid reasons there is.

However, is it enough for me to actually disagree with you?

I don't know yet....I'd need to think some more.

The Harrower and I have a long history and a complex relationship.

You see, I literally stumbled by accident into the very first Harrower spawn on the LS shard, and I'm pretty sure I was the first person to actually do damage to it (very hard to tell when something has that many hit points). It was quite thrilling.

In fact I've hung a fair amount of RP fiction around the Harrower, and it seems like since that day, all boss monsters have targeted me first. This is, of course, just perception and coincidence. But that I, one of those highly annoying rationalist types, could so much as have this bizarre perception shows how much of an impact being at the first-ever Harrower spawn on my shard (and the second ever in the game) had on me.

So the idea of assigning a special reward to the Harrower has an inherent appeal to me.

However, though I am frequently found in Felucca (despite my well-known distaste for it), I am very unlikely to ever be in a spawn guild again. And let's face it, with rare exceptions the days in which a Harrower spawn was a public event are long, and sadly, gone.

Basically, this means that I need to face the fact that I will never again have the chance to fight my favorite monster in the game. And thus I'll never have a realistic chance at getting whatever special item they assign to the Harrower, should they choose to do this.

So I can see both sides of this, in a very personal way.

-Galen's player
Well it just being the "Supreme Champion" in reality it should be a guild effort (IMHO). Im not one of those people who can solo peerless, or dark fathers. I PVP mostly, and when I do those types of things, I am usually the back-up healer/resser and such. I never thought high end content should be solo'd (so this includes peerless, dark fathers, champs, and harrowers) but then again another opinion. But by not rewarding the super champ, would be like saying ok were going to buff all the doom monsters except dark fathers, but you dont get anything extra. Sorry, he gives enough, right?

IDK, just opinionated like you, hope I dont get flamed. :lick:

But I would like at least SOME reward for the :bowdown:CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS!:bowdown: :lick:

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone considered the amount of gold that will be pumped into the economy from this? I mean sure bots and others can/will continue to farm the more easially farmed spots but add the gold from 3 islh spawns plus tokuno (conservitavely for the first month) being chained by people.

with no outlet for it to go anywhere.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It amuses me to no end that people are looking at the UO RNG numbers projected and are actually assuming it's going to work in reality as it does on paper. How many people believe the drops are going to follow the percentage listed? If you believe that 1 out of every 10 champs will drop one of the top tier items then I have some ocean front property in CO I'd like to sell ya.
The random number generator works just fine. It isn't going to drop exactly 10% of Orc Cheiften Helms each day. But if you added up all the drops over 1 year I would be surprised if it was off by more than 2%. The percentage only changes if some other thing is affecting it. For example skill gain used to rely on seeding the generator which caused streaky gains. Players took advantage of this to create the 8x8 system.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The random number generator works just fine. It isn't going to drop exactly 10% of Orc Cheiften Helms each day. But if you added up all the drops over 1 year I would be surprised if it was off by more than 2%. The percentage only changes if some other thing is affecting it. For example skill gain used to rely on seeding the generator which caused streaky gains. Players took advantage of this to create the 8x8 system.

I think there are a good number of people out there that will disagree on the RNG working just fine. I'm one of them. I've seen the streakiness in every aspect of UO and it's horrible. That being said, with the fact these are gonna break, it adds a bit to the equation. Large guilds that do spawns all the time are going to throw off the curve from the rest of the population that normally don't. The tokuno spawn will be jumping for months to come.

No matter what drops where and at what percentage this publish is sure to bring people out to tokuno, the weald, and the bedlam spawns in numbers never seen before. This is going to be an interesting few months in any case of RNG working as intended or not.

Esmeralda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uhhhh!
*is dancing around impatiently*
Uhhhh.... when will publish 57 rerleased?
Please, pretty please tell me! :bowdown:

S

Sarphus

IDK bout a new spawn.. You do know it requires you to do each of the 6 spawns, and get the skull for each, all in fell (while usually fighting other guilds) right? Thats already a lot harder than 1 spawn IMHO.

Not to mention; doing all that work; then gettin raided at it; and you lose all that work. So you can just see its already rough.
I agree. The harrower is sufficiently hard enough to spawn and complete.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorandom_number_generator

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it just being the "Supreme Champion" in reality it should be a guild effort (IMHO). Im not one of those people who can solo peerless, or dark fathers. I PVP mostly, and when I do those types of things, I am usually the back-up healer/resser and such. I never thought high end content should be solo'd (so this includes peerless, dark fathers, champs, and harrowers) but then again another opinion. But by not rewarding the super champ, would be like saying ok were going to buff all the doom monsters except dark fathers, but you dont get anything extra. Sorry, he gives enough, right?

IDK, just opinionated like you, hope I dont get flamed. :lick:

But I would like at least SOME reward for the :bowdown:CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS!:bowdown: :lick:
Umm....There was nothing opinionated about my post. If you read it you'll see that I specifically said, multiple times, that I was on the fence and see both sides and don't know which side I'd like to support. (And even though my opinions don't specifically matter more than anyone else's, I still like to have well-reasoned ones where possible. I'm just funny that way.)

I also didn't say anything about being able to solo the Harrower or it not being a group effort.

I didn't even argue against your point, just said I could see your argument and a counter-argument.

Have we reached a point where the mere existence of doubt and/or nuance is too much for these boards?

*sighs and shakes my head*

-Galen's player

P

peanutbutter

i still think that some sort of reward needs to be given to individuals who perform the function of healer or rezzer. without these folks, the highest damage dealer wouldn't have such an easy life.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umm....There was nothing opinionated about my post. If you read it you'll see that I specifically said, multiple times, that I was on the fence and see both sides and don't know which side I'd like to support. (And even though my opinions don't specifically matter more than anyone else's, I still like to have well-reasoned ones where possible. I'm just funny that way.)

I also didn't say anything about being able to solo the Harrower or it not being a group effort.

I didn't even argue against your point, just said I could see your argument and a counter-argument.

Have we reached a point where the mere existence of doubt and/or nuance is too much for these boards?

*sighs and shakes my head*

-Galen's player

Well to make you feel better; your not opinionated (yet). I am. :scholar:

Lol. Its no big deal. I just want rewards on Harrys also :lick:

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In Publish 57, a number of new additions will be made to the champion spawns on all facets. While working the spawn, players will have a chance of receiving a random Scroll of Transcendence (SoT). When killing the champion, players who worked the spawn will have a chance of receiving a special reward. If none of the people who worked the spawn are present on the subserver when the boss dies, one of the top attackers will randomly be given the reward.

Scroll of Transcendence:

This cursed scroll will allow you to instantly train your character in the skill and by the number of points indicated on the scroll provided you have the room for it. All skills (including non-Powerscroll skills such as begging and remove trap) will be available. The skill on the SoT is randomly selected. The number of points per scroll will range from 0.1 to 0.5 in Trammel rulesets, and from 0.6 to 1.0 in Felucca. There is no timer on using these scrolls.

As Meraktus isn’t a standard champion spawn (no altar), you will not get those scrolls from working that spawn.

In Felucca, players will have a chance of receiving either the 105 Powerscrolls or the Scrolls of Transcendence. The Virtue of Protection applies on Scrolls of Transcendence in Felucca only.

Special Rewards from the Champion:

When killing the champion, players who have worked a certain percentage of the spawn will have a chance of receiving one of three types of items:

1. A boss specific replica;
2. A boss specific decorative item;
3. A shared replica.

The replica’s are artifacts originally created by the former EMs and Seers. They have the same mods and stats as the originals but you cannot use Power of Fortification on them. They can be repaired, insured and blessed. Some of them will only be obtainable from a specific boss whereas others will drop on various champs.

Decorative items will include some animated tiles, statuettes, furniture, etc. themed around the boss they dropped from.

Siege Perilous

A poll on this topic has been posted here for Siege players.
Scroll of Transcendences seem really lame to me not really worth the for .1 to .5 skill gain.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i still think that some sort of reward needs to be given to individuals who perform the function of healer or rezzer. without these folks, the highest damage dealer wouldn't have such an easy life.
Been thinking about that.....

And here's the thing....

If you go as a spontaneous group, i.e., if you show up and join in with people working the spawn, it's easy enough for people to do both, perform as an ad hoc rezzer and still work the spawn. Tamers, mages, warriors, all kinds of classes can cross-heal and still get high damage, at the same time.

If you go as part of a planned group (a guild, one of the Community events on LS, an alliance, etc.), then it should be your all's responsibility to work out how to split loot.

Kind of like how some spawn guilds have a system wherein a specific person protects, specific people guard, and specific people hit the champ. Or some similar system. (Rotating protection, etc.)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is....Is this really a big deal?

-Galen's player

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Meraktus (Labyrinth) each have a unique artifact and themed deco items.
Do I understand correctly that the Labyrinth spawn will give no Scroll of Transcendence, but the Labyrinth champ will still give replicas/deco items?
In this case, how's the special item drop for Meraktus going to work? Is it based on looting rights for Meraktus only, or will the total amount of minotaurs killed still be a factor?

L

Lord Vader

I think this sounds fun and finally something to do in Ilsh besides paragons. :)
Sooooooooo true. You summarized what too many people here forgot, due to their fear of losing their "status" or their "wealth". Just having plain fun. I hope those additions will breathe new life in trammel ruleset champspawns, on low populated servers you'll never see someone doing them expect for the one near spirituality in Ilsh (cause its needed dor doing the harrower).

U

Urk of LS

Three. Fey, near Spirituality. One west of Valor, across the river. One east of Humility. Those last 2 rotate among the "evil" type of spawns.

Four if you count the Twisted Weald champ spawn as being part of Ilshenar.

-Galen's player

5 Spawns if you also add the one in Bedlaum.

E

eccentricjules

Is this for a limited time like ToT or is it permanent? That may have been answered, but I havent seen it.

Can we please please have a higher chance of a SoT than a 105 in Fel. Those 105's are as pointless as the pennies in my purse. I can't think of ANYONE who would rather get a 105... maybe you could phase them out completly. It would also be cool if you had the added chance of getting a scroll of Alacrity in Fel ONLY.

People keep talking about how this will hurt dupers. Who are you kiddin! The people who dup'd these items already made their money by selling the items to (mostly) innocent people. Those buyers think they have the genuine article but all they have is a dup. I buy most of my stuff off vendors chances are I have something dup'd and chances are most of you do too. The dupers aren't the ones who posess most of the dup's, they sell them off.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well if you are in a guild sharing/distributing rewards shouldn't be a problem. maybe use a point system. i like the way it is designed personally.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is a permanent change. IT was only answered as such several times.

As for you Fel people -

Instead of trying to get them to let you all hoard the best rewards by making the best ones Harrower-only, how about going the opposite direction?

Have the Harrower capable of dropping ANY of the replicas, to allow your reds to get those they'd never be able to get because of being red, and unable of reaching the trammel-ruleset facets? Would work out better for you in the long run as players - all trying to limit the highest end items to Harry is just showing greed.

P

peanutbutter

Is this really a big deal?

-Galen's player
kinda, yeah.

if you decide before hand, it still places reward focus on the offensive players. THEY get the items in their pack and THEY get to (if they are honest) give it to the healer/rezzer.

also, you could reward well rounded players who often get shafted by the guy who has EoO and Honor or the person that just sits and waits to cast WoD.

think about it: why not just throw the numbers for how much you've healed friendlies in with how much damage you've dealt? use that to decide, not who has done the most damage, but who has CONTRIBUTED the most.

that way, the person that BOTH heals AND kills gets a chance. it's just a balancing thing.

i mean, either that or these items just need to drop randomly (especially in fel) on whoever is in the area no matter what they've contributed and let the running and chasing and killing ant stealing begin.

there's just no good reason to give all the goodies to the damage dealers and leave them with the option to be honest.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Is this for a limited time like ToT or is it permanent? That may have been answered, but I havent seen it.
She said it was Permanent if you scroll up ;)

Can we please please have a higher chance of a SoT than a 105 in Fel. Those 105's are as pointless as the pennies in my purse. I can't think of ANYONE who would rather get a 105... maybe you could phase them out completly. It would also be cool if you had the added chance of getting a scroll of Alacrity in Fel ONLY.

People keep talking about how this will hurt dupers. Who are you kiddin! The people who dup'd these items already made their money by selling the items to (mostly) innocent people. Those buyers think they have the genuine article but all they have is a dup. I buy most of my stuff off vendors chances are I have something dup'd and chances are most of you do too. The dupers aren't the ones who posess most of the dup's, they sell them off.
I wouldn't object to having ALL the 105s spawn in the Tram ruleset facets and ALL the gimp scrolls spawning in Fel.

E

El Phantasmo

I just want to say GREAT JOB Dev's. I think this is a great idea. It will be nice to head over to Ish, Tok, and Malas to do the respective Champs.

Not to mention, this makes two really good publishes in a row. Not to mention two in less than six months no less. :D

Thanks Again, and hat's off to ya!

S

Sarphus

As for you Fel people -

Instead of trying to get them to let you all hoard the best rewards by making the best ones Harrower-only, how about going the opposite direction?

Have the Harrower capable of dropping ANY of the replicas, to allow your reds to get those they'd never be able to get because of being red, and unable of reaching the trammel-ruleset facets? Would work out better for you in the long run as players - all trying to limit the highest end items to Harry is just showing greed.

HEY! What do you mean by you people!? jk lol

I think you have a really good point here. I really like your idea of how to make the harrower appealing without forcing trammelites to engage the harrower.

S

Sarphus

kinda, yeah.

if you decide before hand, it still places reward focus on the offensive players. THEY get the items in their pack and THEY get to (if they are honest) give it to the healer/rezzer.

also, you could reward well rounded players who often get shafted by the guy who has EoO and Honor or the person that just sits and waits to cast WoD.

think about it: why not just throw the numbers for how much you've healed friendlies in with how much damage you've dealt? use that to decide, not who has done the most damage, but who has CONTRIBUTED the most.

that way, the person that BOTH heals AND kills gets a chance. it's just a balancing thing.

i mean, either that or these items just need to drop randomly (especially in fel) on whoever is in the area no matter what they've contributed and let the running and chasing and killing ant stealing begin.

there's just no good reason to give all the goodies to the damage dealers and leave them with the option to be honest.

I think a better solution would be to create a party option that randomly distributes all drops that members of the party are awarded. The system could be smart enough to not give 2 awards to anyone until everyone has one. Or we could get a system like WoW has where you can choose to roll for drops. The flaws with the roll system are that it lets people roll for stuff they don't need, but at least you know who rolled and what dropped.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any chance of us getting a list of which items will drop off of which champ spawn?

P

peanutbutter

I think a better solution would be to create a party option that randomly distributes all drops that members of the party are awarded. The system could be smart enough to not give 2 awards to anyone until everyone has one. Or we could get a system like WoW has where you can choose to roll for drops. The flaws with the roll system are that it lets people roll for stuff they don't need, but at least you know who rolled and what dropped.
that works.
the roll option is in several games (WoW, WH, etc), because it is a good idea. the way it works in WH is you get to roll, then you're out, but you don't know what the next item to roll on is. so... you are less likely to roll on items you don't need. at least, that's how it was in closed beta - i never played the released game.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theres 10 boss specific rewards + 10 themed types of decorative items (not sure exactly how many) and the shared items.

We can immediately assume that the rewards from doing the tougher spawns i.e Twaulo, Serado, Ilheni and Meraktus. Will be worth more due to how hard they are, regardless of the fact that they are in trammel.

There are roughly 26 replicas, with 10 boss specific. I highly doubt that they will be worth nothing. Think about how common 120 powerscrolls are off of champ spawns, then think about how much they are worth. You can only get ONE (if I'm reading it correctly) Replica/Deco item off of each spawn, as opposed to anywhere up to 6 120 powerscrolls that I've gotten from 1 spawn.

Thinks like Shroud of Ari, LT.sash, Gladiators collar, and good deco pieces will be worth a tonne, just like 120 magery is now.

The demand is much higher than the supply.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we please please have a higher chance of a SoT than a 105 in Fel.
The SOT and 105 power scrolls do not cancel each other out. The chance to get one is the same on each facet. Well not exactly, you have a higher chance in Felucca because you get more points towards them.

Sakkarah said:
As for the SoT drop rate, every time a player would normally receive a 105, a roll is performed to determine if the scroll will be a 105 or a SoT. So on top of the random drop rate of the 105 you only have a 50/50 chance that it will be a SoT in Felucca. In Trammel, if the roll ended up being a 105, you get nothing, it's not replaced by a SoT. In other words, in Trammel the drop rate will be lower on top of the scrolls giving less points.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When killing the boss, the breakdown for the rewards is as follows:

10% chance of no reward
10% chance of the boss specific reward
45% chance of a decorative reward
35% chance of a shared reward.
Hold on here I think I read this wrong. These percentages are split among all who get on the "list". So if 10 folks do the spawn and fight the boss then they will have a 10% chance for the overall drop? And only one of the 10 folks get it if it does drop?

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While we are on the general subject, I think there needs to be new spawn locations for the Harrower. For example Khaldun, Orc Dungeon.

An open-air Harrower would be cool too. Maybe add Graveyard to the list of locations then if that is rolled, pick one of the Graveyards, that way it wouldn't happen too often but often enough to make it more interesting.

There really needs to be a true non-choke point spawn location for the Harrower. Maybe Brit Swamp (no houses).

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hold on here I think I read this wrong. These percentages are split among all who get on the "list". So if 10 folks do the spawn and fight the boss then they will have a 10% chance for the overall drop? And only one of the 10 folks get it if it does drop?
The way I read it is one person will have a 90 percent chance at getting something. 1 out of 10 spawns there will be no reward at all besides the power scrolls/trans scrolls

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I read it is one person will have a 90 percent chance at getting something. 1 out of 10 spawns there will be no reward at all besides the power scrolls/trans scrolls
Ya there is a big difference between the two though. If the drops are for the entire group then in a group of 10 people you will have run through the spawn 100 times in a fair distribution to get the rare item.

If the percentage break down applies to every person seperately then you will only run through it 10 times to get the rare yum yum.

E

eccentricjules

I'm still wading through this thread, but so far no one has been talking about how some drops may only drop on the ilsh spawns in bedlam and twisted weild. Both spawns have altars.... both are much harder than any champ spawn in fel. Both have unique champs that are not found in fel.

I bet both spawns will also have artifacts that can't be found in fel.
That is correct. Twaulo (Twisted Wealds), Serado (Tokuno), Ilhenir (Bedlam) and Meraktus (Labyrinth) each have a unique artifact and themed deco items. So for those, Feluccans will have to go to these specific champ spawns to get the rewards.
So if there are items that can only be obtained at specific spawns does the same hold true for Fel spawns? So, you couldn't do Baracoon spawn over and over and get all the items (excluding the ones above), you would have to vary which spawns you work, right? The way I understand it is that every spawn has a different list of drops. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Power Scrolls are generally Cursed. Will SoT be Cursed? Can we use a bag of sending on them?

I know I asked a question earlier that had already been answered, but this thread has almost 300 replies so... forgive me if these were asked.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no need to read all three pages, you'll find your answers are in the first post :)

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As for you Fel people -

Excellent idea, Basara.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya there is a big difference between the two though. If the drops are for the entire group then in a group of 10 people you will have run through the spawn 100 times in a fair distribution to get the rare item.

If the percentage break down applies to every person seperately then you will only run through it 10 times to get the rare yum yum.
well the idea is you buy whatever item/items it is you need and this should be offset by selling items you don't need. that's how the game's economy works.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow this looks like a great addition. :love: I'll need to start saving some insurance money. It would be nice to have a list of the items and their attributes. When is this going on Test Center????

S

sapphirediablo11

but ... *decides its not worth the flamewar*
Agrees lets try and not get a tramy vs fel thing in here.. since fel poeple like fel, keep it to yoursleve or take it outside.. since tramy people like tram, squelch them,

Anyways... I think these are actually a good idea more now then before because it lets people experience some of the history of UO, even though it will just turn into a massive collection buy/sell system :( (maybe)

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No matter what drops where and at what percentage this publish is sure to bring people out to tokuno, the weald, and the bedlam spawns in numbers never seen before...
I think so too and that's going to be the best result of the publish. I like going to places and seeing lots of players and activity.

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have the Harrower capable of dropping ANY of the replicas, to allow your reds to get those they'd never be able to get because of being red, and unable of reaching the trammel-ruleset facets?
I actually like that.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do the harrowers themselves have anything special at all that is harrower only? Or was this mostly intended for just the bosses?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have the Harrower capable of dropping ANY of the replicas, to allow your reds to get those they'd never be able to get because of being red, and unable of reaching the trammel-ruleset facets?
I actually like that.
Of course you do. I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone.

I think this idea is ok only if it's only the shared replicas. Even then I don't think it would kill people to go to bedlam and do that spawn. Or the weald etc. Although I'm sure every pvper has done all those spawns right?

Suggesting the harrower drop all the boss specific replicas just takes away from each spawn being unique. Then you take into consideration that the chance you will get the replica you want off the harry with everything being possible would be minute. Just make a set for the harry and be done with it. Why half ass it?

S

Sarphus

No matter what drops where and at what percentage this publish is sure to bring people out to tokuno, the weald, and the bedlam spawns in numbers never seen before...
I think so too and that's going to be the best result of the publish. I like going to places and seeing lots of players and activity.

Yeah. It will certainly bring me out to some of the spawns that I don't do. I haven't ever done sleeping dragon or twisted wield spwn. I did the spawn in bedlam once. It was crazy hard and fun, but the loot was absolutely pitiful.

I'm kinda curious to see if more harrowers will get spawned because of people doing spawns that they normally don't do. All of a sudden, oaks could become a popular spawn.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As for you Fel people -

I like that idea. Win-win.

-Galen's player

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well the idea is you buy whatever item/items it is you need and this should be offset by selling items you don't need. that's how the game's economy works.
Well of course there will be lots of trading and selling/buying in the begining. But after all the collectors get their lot, who will actually use these items if the distribution is a one time 10% chance split to everyone on "the list"?

That means soloing non fel spawns possibly 10 times or 10 x the number of other folks that are there just to get a single consumable drop. In fel the spawns will be much more difficult. It is exciting yes... folks are going to dig it. I know I am going to enjoy it.... until I have collected them all. But in the end the RNG time suck will kill it. I can understand PoF proofing imbued items. I don't fully agree with the system. But it is robust and well thought out for the examples that were given. But this (if the 10% drop is split to all on the list) is rediculous for a consumable item.

I can get an arty drop about one in every three days of 6 hr sessions in doom. I have the artys I want and don't go there much anymore. When I do pop in there are almost always folks running the spawn... so for some strange reason... in spite of the fact that they can still be powedered... there is still demand for artifacts.

Now I can tear through 255 durability in about three hours of heavy fighting on my melee... just over one point of durability lost per minute. If I start at 255 durability and every time I get to 25 durability I repair. I loose one point of durability every repair (assuming all repairs are successful.. which they aren't), that piece of equipment is good for about 300 hours before durability hits 50 points. For me thats about 3 months of gameplay. That seems like a generous amount but factor in the time required to re-aquire my worn out item.

I remember the last spawn I ran though took about 30 minutes. If a 10% drop in a tram spawn is split between 4 players (there will be more than that in the begining) going purely on the math I'll run that spawn 40 times to get my drop.... 20 hours... if the spawns start again as soon as they are finished....which they won't. So I'll invest 20 hours every 3 months maintaining a supply of ONE item. 7% of my game time wasted.

Buy them you say? But why? At that point what's the difference between buying PoF or buying the item that cant be PoF'd? You are still buying something. Still lets do the math. If I powder an item every 10 points of durability lost I spend one charge every 30 hours of gameplay. 10 Charges in a jar nets me one full Jar of PoF spent to maintain my powderable item as compared to the same 300 hours an item will last without powder. Right now a jar of powder sells for 50k. Would you sell your hard won rare item for 50k to be competitive in the market against powderable items?

So would you prefer farming spawns 20 hours (provided its a tram spawn item) every time your item goes poof or spending 50k on a jar of powder? This is if you use just one rare item. The gap grows exponentialy when you add two or three to your suit.

You can play with the numbers here and there to get slightly better results on either side of the argument. But it all boils down to a huge waste of time on these items if you actually intend to use them. Well use them for a melee job. I can not believe PoF proofing these items is considered a good idea by any means.