• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Combat Changes Update on TC1

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wep skills to focus spec list and nova 1 sec delay....very bad changes. @Bleak Freeze all motor functions..its me Arnold listen to my voice..these changes are very bad.
What's bad about the 1 sec delay on supernovas? They're still useful, it'll just involve a little thought...

Saying "It's bad" doesn't mean anything if you don't specify what's bad about it.... just saying.
This is probably why it was adjusted in the first place, no one said anything in defense of it, besides "It doesn't need nerfed" lol... how didn't it need nerfed?

Anyway, tank-mages will be effective even without focus spec.... but since focus spec seems to be staying at 15% more SDI than non-focus spec, people are just going to adjust their templates accordingly so they remain at 30% SDI.

That being said, since focus spec is so much of an increase over non-focus spec. Focus Spec is probably the most "cookie-cutter-template-creating change" in the game.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Covenant , tank mages have alrdy worst defenses , it makes no sense to reduce their sdi. U doing crazy nonsense talk

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree it makes no sense to reduce tank mages SDI, and I was actually looking forward to playing a tank-mage again.

It makes just as little sense to reduce wrestle/parry mage's SDI though...What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
INDEED . I mean WE PVPERS WANT CHANGES TO PLAY MORE TEMPLATES....AGAIN AS IT WAS .....!!!!!

it's not HARD to understand that THESE THREE PEOPLE ( Covenant, Dcrossack and Great DC and they used to play together btw) they don't know about pvp so much as many others posting here ( just to make few names Virem, Leet, Arnold etc) and they pvp VERY RARELY , maybe once a month?

you never see them in Felucca, yet they post here every day.... something is wrong sorry. So I understand that the developers DO NOT KNOW About this but these 3 KIDS DUNNO WHAT THEY TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

They can say whatever they want they NEVER PVP !!!!!!!! I mean.... why are we listening to these three?

WE PVPERS WANT TO PLAY MORE TOONS , reducing SDI on tank mages is TERRIBLE.

FIX SPELL PLAGUE PLS , it makes NO DMG NOW , MYSTICS WILL BE RUINED.

The only decent change in all this madness is the PARRY in the focus restriction tbh ( I accept it just because on a 30 sdi mage + parry , you could have very good offense and defense , like this you'll have to remove alchy and put inscribe to go to 25 sdi ....so you lose some of the offense...but still a good toon to play).

and the BEST change is the physical dmg for all moving shots ( this way we will not see the non sense 40+ dmg on the run ).

WE WANT MINOR CHANGES , not a REVOLUTION LEAD BY 3 PEOPLE WHO DO NOT PLAY UO IN FELUCCA.
No personal insult is intended here, but this is a joke of a post, and shows you're completely biased .

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) TANK MAGES have ZERO defense, ZERO offense like this lol they can be disarmed also again permanently ROFL what kind of change is that to the sdi??? HOW many tank mages you see on the field ??? maybe one out of 30 mages running around , not 2 , ONE ...and when he gets insta killed, yes because he will be called AT ONCE as main target , he will log out and change template.

So we are DESTROYING one toon that has already almost no sense to log on in today's pvp . ( for big fights)

2) MYSTIC - SPELL PLAGUE, the spell is ruined. You ruin another toon, without spell plague what's the point to play mystic?

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a thought..

Could the focused magic sdi boost be changed; so that every skill on the focus list took 5 away from the sdi cap (for skill over 30 points), down to 15 for templates with 3 or more types of casting.

A tank or parry mage would have 25 sdi, and a mystic or necro 20.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just a thought..

Could the focused magic sdi boost be changed; so that every skill on the focus list took 5 away from the sdi cap (for skill over 30 points), down to 15 for templates with 3 or more types of casting.

This kinda makes a lot of sense! I think I rly like this idea.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
  • Increased special move Disarm immunity from 10 to 30 seconds.
  • Added Fencing, Mace Fighting, Swordsmanship, Throwing, and Archery Focus Spec restriction list
  • Hit Lower Defense debuff duration is now reduced(2 seconds) by curse removal spells and items.
  • Increased Necromancy Conduit base duration from 4 to 6 seconds.
  • Splintering weapon proc no longer triggers when preforming Disarm.
  • Increased special move Block duration from 3 to 6 seconds.
  • Supernova potions now activate after a one second

Lol ah more Mage nerfs. So basically, there's no viable template that would make the focused list.

So you can only play with Magery and either scribe or poisoning to be focused.

The HLD buff is reduced by 2 seconds when usings removals? Am I reading that right?

The splinter and disarm timer are meh, Not sure how I feel about those yet.

Not sure if disarm needs to be 30 second immunity. That's seems excessive.

The supernova delay is designed to help them miss more and lower damage bursts?

I am starting to feel as if these changes are being spearheaded by a few people rambling at yew gate on test center while Bleak eats a sandwich.

And even further he's just blindly going along with it!

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a thought..

This is one of the best ideas i have seen so far

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

• The player's active mastery can now be toggled off from the switch mastery gump. This does not trigger the switch cooldown.
    - sounds good

Increased special move Disarm immunity from 10 to 30 seconds
    -30 seconds is extremely long, especially when the rearm time is what 5-6 seconds or so? Instead of adding timers to everything you add in a hit miss algorithm for special moves
    Example-
    Primary: Chance to apply: % = (Weapon Skill/2)+(Tactics/4),
    (%50 at 100 Weapon Skill, 0 Tactics)
    (%90 at 120 Weapon Skill, 120 Tactics)
    Secondary: Chance to apply % = (Weapon Skill/3)+(Tactics/6)
    (%33 at 100 Weapon Skill, 0 Tactics)
    (%60 at 120 Weapon Skill, 120 Tactics)
    Hence you don't need Tactics but it's beneficial
    It'll still have to get by the initial Hit Chance/Defense Chance Parry equation, then you would just have to move around specials from primary to secondary that are now in modern UO considered overpowered. Tweak/Add algorithms not add timers
    -only consumes mana when successfully executed
    - Parry is the real issue in PvP, disarming shields needs to make a comeback and that would balance it. If you're really trying to balance you could even rename Item ID to Battle Instinct and involve it in the Special Move algorithm to look like this.
    -Primary: Chance to apply: % = (Weapon Skill/2)+(Tactics/4)-(Opponent Battle Instinct/3)
    So if the attacker has 120 Weapon/120 Tact and the Defender has 0 Battle Instinct the attacker has a 90% chance of landing the special, but if he then has 100 Battle Instinct it drops to a 66.6% chance of landing.

Added Fencing, Mace Fighting, Swordsmanship, Throwing, and Archery Focus Spec restriction list
    -Not a fan, they are already at a massive disadvantage without Parry against the arrow machine gun turrets. This just keeps this a pvm template and out of fel. Unless you're going to increase the damage it doesn't match up even at 30sdi+innate 10% from Scribe. Even then, you're fizzling at such an alarming rate is saddening. Notice the ONLY mages you see today that are remotely competitive are Parry Scribe mages, you've already killed those. So even though I still doubt there will be a huge influx of Tank Mages this would automatically cement that there will be none.
    Lower Defense debuff duration is now reduced by curse removal spells and items.
    -I'm mixed with this. Will this mean that when added it will add the chance of failing at an apple if say hit with Lower D and mortal. Or cleansing. Cause that adds a whole new dimension.
    Increased Necromancy Conduit base duration from 4 to 6 seconds.
    -never used so no comment.
    Splintering weapon proc no longer triggers when preforming Disarm.
-TBH Splintering weapons never should of been added to the game, but I digress..they're here!
Increased special move Block duration from 3 to 6 seconds.
-no comment
Supernova potions now activate after a one second delay at the use location.
- so they're useless then..throw those into the same category as Tar and Fear Essence now!
[/LIST]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
removing disarm splinter

+

removing HLD duration w/ curse removal (this is one of the most random changes I could possibly imagine lol)

=

Wrestle parry fisters online

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak is out of his mind listening to three well below average pvpers. It's absolutely insane that three people can complain, who I have never really seen fight, and the game can be changed.

All the majority of people wanted was a nerf to moving shot, we end up with a list of changes that nerf half the mage templates in the game (and not really adding any?) which will somehow BUFF (LOLL) archers because their suits are gonna be easier to make (warriors gifts) AND deathstrikers are going to run rampant because they don't need tactics anymore. These changes are a nightmare.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am starting to feel as if these changes are being spearheaded by a few people rambling at yew gate on test center while Bleak eats a sandwich.

And even further he's just blindly going along with it!
This. @Bleak

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think maybe everyone should email that dumb email address, I think that's the problem. These try-hard newbies are probably blowing that thing up.

Dorinda

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. U have posted this countless times let me tell you why its a dumb idea. Having specials toggled is literally just a huge crutch for people who suck with timing. It adds no skill to pvp whatsoever. "Oh lets just spam spells and hope an armor ignore goes off between my magic arrows" And its not just mages, dexxers can be spamming things like holy light, omens, etc etc (and i mainly play an omen archer).
Its an all around dumb idea and does not need to be in the game. (again)
I understand and value your opinion. BUT I think it would be a fun addition to the game like it was 10 years ago. SO @Bleak @Kyronix GO AHEAD AND FREE UP THOSE SPECIALS WHILE CASTING.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree it makes no sense to reduce tank mages SDI, and I was actually looking forward to playing a tank-mage again.

It makes just as little sense to reduce wrestle/parry mage's SDI though...What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
idk. For Wrestle/Parry it does. They don't give up ANYTHING to have the highest offense, best defense, and they can augment both even further by using potions.

No personal insult is intended here, but this is a joke of a post, and shows you're completely biased.
It's Blazing. Of course he is.

@Bleak is out of his mind listening to three well below average pvpers. It's absolutely insane that three people can complain, who I have never really seen fight, and the game can be changed.

All the majority of people wanted was a nerf to moving shot, we end up with a list of changes that nerf half the mage templates in the game (and not really adding any?) which will somehow BUFF (LOLL) archers because their suits are gonna be easier to make (warriors gifts) AND deathstrikers are going to run rampant because they don't need tactics anymore. These changes are a nightmare.
Actually, it's the "well below average" pvp'ers who have been defending Nova. Which a normal pvp'er wouldn't be able to do, due to them being overpowered. Again: Not ONE of you has posted a logical counter-argument about Novas other than "they're fine as they are", which is literally NOT how debating/defending your position works. The "three well below average pvp'ers" have all presented logical arguments about them.

This is how to not argue your point point properly:

Can we maybe get off supernovas for a while? The vast majority of us believe they are fine. Three to four people keep posting over and over and over hijacking the threads for the real changes.
This is an example of how to argue against it properly:

Virem, the # of people complaining isn't the issue. That a) the skill's so widely used, b) it gives such a massive increase to the damage of supernovas, and c) it takes very little skill or timing to use a Supernova ARE THE PROBLEMS. There is literally nothing else in the entire game that can do what a Supernova can: You can't avoid it, it's guaranteed damage, etc. They're not even the most damaging potion in the game, but when was the last time someone died to an explosion potion? Oh wait, they very rarely do, because those take skill and timing to use.

Of course the people using them will think they're fine, because they can't play/kill people without them. Every pro-Nova argument that's been presented has been shut down, but you've ignored them. There is maybe one template where'd you HAVE to use them in a 1v1 situation - the healing/alchemy/parry mage. Even then it's not likely to do much, because of how defensive the template is.
Also, you guys didn't offer anything constructive that could have balanced the game, all you did was complain because "OMG NO, MAH NOVAS ARE GETTING NERFED." Even last night you were crying about it on TC.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This incredibly hard to read.

You can highlight the specific text and hit reply if you want to break it up.

Or insert "[q uote] [/ quote]" around the text you quoting. (No spaces)

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This incredibly hard to read.

You can highlight the specific text and hit reply if you want to break it up.

Or insert "[q uote] [/ quote]" around the text you quoting. (No spaces)
Ok fixed! Sorry I'm a dumb ass

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Ok - now that the initial shock is over:

Supernova delay - It appears the intention would be to help the odds of missing, for the intention of lowering damage bursts.

The problem is the odds of having someone stand still while performing a nova combo are extremely low.

So adding a 1 second timer will pretty much remove any accuracy or ability of using the potion. Seems overkill considering the potion does what, 27 damage with a 2 minute timer on it? and that requires EP item cap and 100 alchemy.

Suggestion: Remove the delay on the potion. No nerfs are required for novas.

Weapon skills to focused mage list - Considering parry mages already got the nerf down to 15 sdi the next viable option was tank mages.

The trade off was defense loss vs higher damage output.

This takes damage output down to 15 sdi and they only have 50% blocking. This doesn't account for 29 DCI after HLD.

So in other words, any regular tank Mage templates are useless.

Glad to see we axed more template diversity there.

Meanwhile any Melee would still nail them 56% with HLD for 45-55 dmg every 2.5 seconds minimum. Possibly doing double that with RNG.

Yet we are worried about 3-4 points of damage for 1.25 - 1.5 second spells? Com'on.

Suggestion: Remove weapon skills from focused list. I can live with parry remaining in it.

Disarm timer: This made me scratch my head. 30 seconds immunity? We may as well have left saving throw alone.

The rearm timer is what 6 seconds?
So really they get 4 shots (4.8 but you don't get to round up) to drop the target. Using a regular Melee that's almost impossible. Using an archer with running shot might put the damage up to 40 if both hit spell and velocity go off. However this was compensated by increasing the hci penalty. So really there's not much reason to have 30 second duration.

Suggestion: Lower immunity timer. 10-15 seconds is plenty. Gives them plenty of time to rearm and heal.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A 15 SDI swords mage with alchemy is still going to hit like a truck.

The original intent of 30 SDI was because people wanted to bring pure mages back and have them be viable again. Well, they are! You just can't be half warrior (because then how does that make you a "pure" mage)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A 15 SDI swords mage with alchemy is still going to hit like a truck.

The original intent of 30 SDI was because people wanted to bring pure mages back and have them be viable again. Well, they are! You just can't be half warrior (because then how does that make you a "pure" mage)
That does sound logical except what about Swords makes a Necro focused?

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and @drcossack.

27ish damage, 2 minute cooldown, required to be in VvV to use <---LETSNOTFORGET

In all my years of PvP, I've never heard anyone complain that a nova was OP.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and @drcossack.

I 100% agree. He just complains cause he dies to it..they've been that way for years but now because people actually play faction type fighting it's a disaster

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That does sound logical except what about Swords makes a Necro focused?

IMO a focused necro and a focused mystic should just be nixed. We all just assumed it meant each one gets 30 SDI, then we find out being a focused necro made a stackablew/curse corpse skin and idk I think people just wanted pure mages to be viable and the devs just decided to run with it.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
kronix, is riding swipe on gargs ever going to be fixed? cant fly unless u log off and back on, says u must heal your pet , no pet lol

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
kronix, is riding swipe on gargs ever going to be fixed? cant fly unless u log off and back on, says u must heal your pet , no pet lol
Riding swipe should be just that..a riding swipe.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tested this? I don't have a gargoyle- but was pretty sure they fixed this a while back. When you could re-injure pets that were healed to full while on dismount timer.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh and @drcossack.

Where did I say the damage was a problem, other than the modifier from Alchemy being way too high? I didn't. The damage they do for something you can't interrupt or avoid is the main problem. VvV requirement is a non-argument, since 99% of pvp'ers are already IN vvv.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's opinion. Most of us don't see a problem with insta-proc.

But anyways, Atlantic has tons of blues that opportunistically flag because they aren't in VvV. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a non-argument.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Where did I say the damage was a problem, other than the modifier from Alchemy being way too high? I didn't. The damage they do for something you can't interrupt or avoid is the main problem. VvV requirement is a non-argument, since 99% of pvp'ers are already IN vvv.
No consumeables are interruptable.

Avoidance is a tough argument to keep a 1 second delay on it.

They'd be better off putting the tile radius or damage output lower.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I stopped reading this thread after one guy was crying about TRAPPED BOXES... I was face palming...

How about successfully make an argument why a trap box should be.

unlimited charges
no cooldown
not consumed on use
no delay

I'd really like to know how it can not be considered broken, so please feel free to enlighten me. There is already a perfect replacement ingame in Anti-Paralysis potion all that needs to be changed is it made into a craftable and were good.

@Kyronix @Bleak

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

unlimited charges
no cooldown
not consumed on use
no delay

I'd really like to know how it can not be considered broken, so please feel free to enlighten me. There is already a perfect replacement ingame in Anti-Paralysis potion all that needs to be changed is it made into a craftable and were good.

@Kyronix @Bleak

We did, it's called never ending para spam.

/END

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sigh - evil omen para spam.

Your turn.
Then use a potion. Breaking a paralyze should be a choice between whether or not doing so saves your life which outweighs the cost of consuming a potion not just an instant reaction because breaking said paralyze has no consequence.

Your not answering the question on why one item should have unlimited uses though. Not to mention you just destroyed a 2 spell combo with 1 infinite use item.

Just Saying..

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm of the opinion we should remove focused mages/necros/mystics outright. We should reset the base SDI cap for PvP at 20% and allow 100 inscription to buff SDI to 30%. This allows for consistent casting damage and removes the debate about whether to add alchemy, parry and weapon skills to the anti-focus list. I think this would also add diversity to include chivalry, bushido, ninjitsu among potential skills for mages.

The +5 HP overcap for Warrior's Gift is better. We still need to improve the viability of melee dexxers as compared to archers.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I'm of the opinion we should remove focused mages/necros/mystics outright. We should reset the base SDI cap for PvP at 20% and allow 100 inscription to buff SDI to 30%. This allows for consistent casting damage and removes the debate about whether to add alchemy, parry and weapon skills to the anti-focus list. I think this would also add diversity to include chivalry, bushido, ninjitsu among potential skills for mages.

The +5 HP overcap for Warrior's Gift is better. We still need to improve the viability of melee dexxers as compared to archers.
That only really balances mage vs mage. I want a more consistent balance between all templates.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

unlimited charges
no cooldown
not consumed on use
no delay

@Kyronix @Bleak
I think trap boxes are broken as well. They need to tweak pop boxes back to working and have them change colors when trapped. I even own a few insured ones, forget when they were able to be insured.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The guy of the trapped box is back. I am out, too much facepalming.

P.s. Better changes today. Fix plague to make it work again
You brought it up again.
When discussing PvP balance this item is broken. Yet i haven't seen anyone present a valid argument on how it's not.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhhhhhhhh without a trapped box the game will be totally broken. Learn mechanics pls.
Wtf does that even mean? Learn mechanics...I'm well versed on 20 year old UO "mechanics" maybe it's the language barrier, but that makes no sense in that context. Learn mechanics pls. <- see how stupid it seems?

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could try to explain u 10 reasons why u need a t chest in pvp but if u say in advance that they are broken there is no bridge of communication. Sorry