When is Mysticism Going to be Fixed...?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
Seriously, every single mage vs mage fight there is ends up as a magic arrow nether bolt spam fest. This is not mage pvp, nor is it even a little fun. It is simply ruining what mage PvP used to be, and I am dumbfounded as to why this has not been fixed.

Korik Bloodguard

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 25, 2004
People will always gravitate towards the simplest and most effective solution to a problem. If the people you're referring to accomplish their goal through that method then it is appropriate for the situation; their tactics are chosen for their effectiveness in a given situation.

Now, if the defendant were to play in such a way that MA+NB spam was no longer an effective tactic, then the attacker's tactics would have to change to reflect the new situation.

So in essence:

Play better and you'll encounter opponents who: a. you crush or b. adapt and challenge your new tactics.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
So in essence:

Play better and you'll encounter opponents who: a. you crush or b. adapt and challenge your new tactics.
"Play Better" does not counter the lameness of MA / NB spam.... 2 first circle spells that really cannot be interrupted. You cannot get up ANY meaningful spellcasting combo if you taking dmg every 0.5 seconds... You CAN return the spam but that's about it.. of course if your a dexxer you have some options, but as far as casting goes if they can keep up 0.5 second dmg spam you can really only counter with same.

J

Jeff.

Return fire with the same spells. If you still lose well, you can always play a dexer.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 1, 2009
Use Protection, when he starts to cast Purge Magic then it's your turn to interrupt him with something nasty. Bet he starts running pretty soon.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
PA
Use Protection, when he starts to cast Purge Magic then it's your turn to interrupt him with something nasty. Bet he starts running pretty soon.
Is this a joke? Purge Magic is also 2nd circle so GL interrupting that while in protection! Not to mention a good mage won't purge you right away a lot of the time anyway. He'll do other things like sleep/vamp/poison to gain advantage then purge.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
Seriously, every single mage vs mage fight there is ends up as a magic arrow nether bolt spam fest. This is not mage pvp, nor is it even a little fun. It is simply ruining what mage PvP used to be, and I am dumbfounded as to why this has not been fixed.

LOL..."fixed?" Sounds more like sheep have found their favorite cud to chew. The spells available to use in PvP are as many as there are in each book. :sad2:

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 15, 2004
not broken, not an issue. well it as as big of an issue as someone who disarms over and over or at armor ignore over and over ... nerve etc. it can be a pain in the butt but every template has that. i hate smoke bombs but dont ask for them to be fixed. they are working as intended and in the correct hands makes somene beyond irritating to fight and kill.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
not broken, not an issue. well it as as big of an issue as someone who disarms over and over or at armor ignore over and over ... nerve etc. it can be a pain in the butt but every template has that. i hate smoke bombs but dont ask for them to be fixed. they are working as intended and in the correct hands makes somene beyond irritating to fight and kill.
QFT

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2009
I use netherbolt/magic arrow, agreed it's annoying, but i wouldn't go so far as to say it's OP.
What needs to be fixed about mysticism which really IS broken is the spells appearing in the system info instead of above a players head, also when are they going to add the translations?

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 10, 2008
Muskegon, MI
The little spell spam isn't that much of a factor. The fact that ANY damage can set of spell plague ticks does seem like a factor though. I don't think it should work with melee attacks at all. And the ticks should be set off from magic damage 11 or higher ONLY, and can only benefit the player that cast it on the effected target.

And cleansing winds should only heal what it says in the description. 30-36 with 120 focus/mystic. Go ahead and let it cure EVERYTHING just tone down the healing part significantly please.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
I use netherbolt/magic arrow, agreed it's annoying, but i wouldn't go so far as to say it's OP.
What needs to be fixed about mysticism which really IS broken is the spells appearing in the system info instead of above a players head, also when are they going to add the translations?
I didn't necessarily say it was OP, I am just pointing out the fact that almost all other forms of offensive spells has been rendered useless in mage fights. When's the last time you saw a mystic mage go for an explosion, lightning, and so forth..? Also, if it wasn't effective every single mystic mage wouldn't be using it.

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 17, 2009
When is Mysticism Going to be Fixed...?
you know I used to ask this same question a lot about different issues, 5/6 mages, archery, word of death, the DOT problem with necros... well, the tamers finally did it for me, I quit pvp'ing and I closed 1 of my 2 accounts and I only activate the remaining 1 once every 4 months to save my house. also I did not buy SA and have no plans to buy the pirate expansion.

they've been losing customers since about halfway through AoS and the numbers will not be coming back up. as I've said in another post EA will eventually give up and free shards will take over. it will be "pick your niche/era" or find a different game.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
If they continue to neglect PvP as they have for quite some time now, it will eventually become non-salvageable, and no longer fun. :(

ingsmsico

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 17, 2009
If they continue to neglect PvP as they have for quite some time now, it will eventually become non-salvageable, and no longer fun. :(
well that is inevitable. i'm surprised anyone is involved as it is now.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
I wonder where is the toilet cowboy in vacation?
When I started the thread I had expected to see him boasting his leet mysticism skills way before now. Maybe he got owned by spell plague? :stretcher:

C

canary

Well, if they are indeed doing it, I suppose it IS mage PvP, isn't it? That's what they are doing... pvp'ing. It just isn't what you like.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I have never liked how magery was relegated to interruption casting anyway.

Yes it takes great skill to be good at interrupting and then defeating your opponent. But there are too many external variables (hacks,cheats, connection, etc) that can imbalance this type of combat.

Why cant mage fighting be about the characters skill vs the other characters skill, just like dexer combat?

I know I will get flamed for this but until they can remove all forms of cheating in this game as welll as truly having equal connection speed, they should remove mage spell interruption from the game.

In the old days when you cold use the protection spell and not be interrupted, there were still great mage pvpers, and mage pvp was much more fun as well as balanced.

Honestly nothing is more boring than magic arrow, weaken, harm, magic arrow, curse, weaken, harm, poison, weaken, harm, lightning, harm, magic arrow.... and so on. lather rinse repeat.

And now they added Mystic to the scenario.

It seems that most mage spells are only good for ganking now a days or silly style mage combat.

Even Spellweaving is pretty much only good for group fighting or PvM. You can hardly use any of the spellweaving spells in a 1v1 mage fight cause the casting times are way way way to long. but thats another argument.

Edit:
Here is a thought -
How about mage spells don't get interrupted from mage spells but they do get interrupted from direct damage like weapons? To keep balance between mage dexer fights.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2009
I have never liked how magery was relegated to interruption casting anyway.

Yes it takes great skill to be good at interrupting and then defeating your opponent. But there are too many external variables (hacks,cheats, connection, etc) that can imbalance this type of combat.

Why cant mage fighting be about the characters skill vs the other characters skill, just like dexer combat?

I know I will get flamed for this but until they can remove all forms of cheating in this game as welll as truly having equal connection speed, they should remove mage spell interruption from the game.

In the old days when you cold use the protection spell and not be interrupted, there were still great mage pvpers, and mage pvp was much more fun as well as balanced.

Honestly nothing is more boring than magic arrow, weaken, harm, magic arrow, curse, weaken, harm, poison, weaken, harm, lightning, harm, magic arrow.... and so on. lather rinse repeat.

And now they added Mystic to the scenario.

It seems that most mage spells are only good for ganking now a days or silly style mage combat.

Even Spellweaving is pretty much only good for group fighting or PvM. You can hardly use any of the spellweaving spells in a 1v1 mage fight cause the casting times are way way way to long. but thats another argument.

Edit:
Here is a thought -
How about mage spells don't get interrupted from mage spells but they do get interrupted from direct damage like weapons? To keep balance between mage dexer fights.
please no one read this, just, just don't

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I don't LIKE interruption casting, but its a trade off that weapons may miss but a spell never will.
That is why when fighting a dexer a mage should be able to be interrupted by a weapon hit, just not by a mage spell.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Why fix it if its not broken ? sheesh
That is a matter of opinion, just like mine.

In the end there are some mages that never ever, or hardly ever lose a mage duel. but these mages also use cheats and hacks. And how do I know? because I know them, they are or were in the guilds I was in.

So why should the rest of us who pay and play fairly have to deal with them or the way the game is set up to let them cheat?

And if you don't think mysticism is way over powered you are blind. If it wasn't then every mage wouldn't be playing it. No diff when Word of Death was over powered and everyone was a spellweaver. Or when Armor Ignore was way over powered and every dexer use to spam it.

In the end it's the template flavor of the day until it gets nerfed.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
For the same reason the NFL isn't about the combined weight and height of one team vs. the other.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
In the end there are some mages that never ever, or hardly ever lose a mage duel. but these mages also use cheats and hacks. And how do I know? because I know them, they are or were in the guilds I was in.
Seriously, how many morons do we have to convince that mage PvP is about SKILL and not about HACKS? If you don't play a mage or you don't PvP then stop contributing your pointless insights into something you have no clue about.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
That is a matter of opinion, just like mine.

So why should the rest of us who pay and play fairly have to deal with them or the way the game is set up to let them cheat?

And if you don't think mysticism is way over powered you are blind. If it wasn't then every mage wouldn't be playing it. No diff when Word of Death was over powered and everyone was a spellweaver. Or when Armor Ignore was way over powered and every dexer use to spam it.

In the end it's the template flavor of the day until it gets nerfed.
Actually it is new and some people have developed ways to counter it its just that some have not! And its the ones that don't want to adjust that usually complain the most ..... In my opinion there are other things that need changed a lot more but whatever!!
not going to get in a argument over it. I would rather spend my time helping others in game and on here than listening to people complain!!
so their ya go!!

C

canary

Actually it is new and some people have developed ways to counter it its just that some have not! And its the ones that don't want to adjust that usually complain the most ..... In my opinion there are other things that need changed a lot more but whatever!!
not going to get in a argument over it. I would rather spend my time helping others in game and on here than listening to people complain!!
so their ya go!!
But yet here you are. Odd how that works out, huh?

I agree there are far more important matters to be tended to, it is just that your excuse feels... not right with you chiming in with such a retort.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon

I agree there are far more important matters to be tended to, it is just that your excuse feels... not right with you chiming in with such a retort.
;-)

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Seriously, how many morons do we have to convince that mage PvP is about SKILL and not about HACKS? If you don't play a mage or you don't PvP then stop contributing your pointless insights into something you have no clue about.
I do exclusively play a mage and I do exclusively PvP and I lose to my guildies in duels most of the time, but when they turn of their cheats I last way longer or even win sometimes. I never said I was the best or even wanted to be the best. I just want an even playing field. And the way the game is set up currently it is not even. So all I ask is for them to consider changes until they can resolve cheats and hacks and even the discrepancy between peoples internet connection.

I also never said that interruption timing was skill based, because it is. What i did say is that people who use speedhacks as well as any other type of cheats are at an advantage when it comes to interruption. And if you PvP, which I am sure you do, you would already know this.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
Well, if they are indeed doing it, I suppose it IS mage PvP, isn't it? That's what they are doing... pvp'ing. It just isn't what you like.
I don't LIKE interruption casting, but its a trade off that weapons may miss but a spell never will.

I find it comical that you accuse me of "trolling" and yet every single one of your posts has nothing intellectual to contribute to the discussion whatsoever. :thumbup1:

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
so their ya go!!
I agree on what you are saying here, but I wonder if the other changes you say are needed a lot more are related to PvP? Other than fixing cheats and hacks.

You are also correct about learning to counter new templates, but do you really believe in your heart that Mysticism isn't just a bit overpowered as a skill?

And other than just saying "well that's just how it is", don't you see a correlation between spellweaving and mysticism? I mean in the sense that they both have similarities in their spell capabilities yet mystic has no where near the penalty in casting times.

Also do you think that 2 mystics should be able to kill a person basically instantly by both of them casting bombard and then spell triggering bombard immediately after?

Have you not run across the mystic with protection on who can fight two inscribe mages 1v2 and never lose?

I donno, I guess wanting some semblance of balance is asking too much.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Awards
McMinnville Oregon
just saying sure look at it and let some people test it before we nerf it into useless and make the changes pvp not pvm in pvm it is not that great

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
Have you not run across the mystic with protection on who can fight two inscribe mages 1v2 and never lose?
No they haven't, because anyone who says Mysticism does not need fixed either does not PvP, or uses it as a crutch.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
just saying sure look at it and let some people test it before we nerf it into useless and make the changes pvp not pvm in pvm it is not that great
Oh so you mean you can't kill a harrower with a greater dragon and spell plague spam? And you can't go into protection and cleanse winds yourself through almost any group of enemies? And you can't hailstorm any level 1 spawn and kill everything within range instantly? And you can't sleep a monster making it stand still until it wears off and make it unflag you? And you can't summon a colossus that can tank navery for 20-30 seconds? And you can't heal/cure with heal stone which is as effective as having 50 enhance potions? And you can't put cleanse winds on a spell trigger for an instant remove curse/cure/heal for potentially 60+ damage?

These are all uses for Mysticism in PvM, most of which would not be effected by adjusting it for PvP purposes.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
No they haven't, because anyone who says Mysticism does not need fixed either does not PvP, or uses it as a crutch.
I've seen it so many times. The person with Myst is also speedhacking and using a hack that lets them run over items like gravestones and stumps allowing them to maintain a straight line while others have to veer around them. They are so hard to kill, while others who don't cheat die much more frequently.

If these things were addressed it may add some balance I cant say for sure yet, but they are not addressed... at least not yet, but it is a wait and see in regards to the posts on banning cheaters... the question is are they banning scripters or even people who speedhack and use other hacks? I don't know yet.

I am curious how removing mage spell interruption from the game would affect PvP? Again I mean only when being hit with other spells not when being hit by weapons or even wrestling.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
I am curious how removing mage spell interruption from the game would affect PvP? Again I mean only when being hit with other spells not when being hit by weapons or even wrestling.
Nothing really, just the destruction of mage PvP completely.

V

Vaelix

Oh so you mean you can't kill a harrower with a greater dragon and spell plague spam? And you can't go into protection and cleanse winds yourself through almost any group of enemies? And you can't hailstorm any level 1 spawn and kill everything within range instantly? And you can't sleep a monster making it stand still until it wears off and make it unflag you? And you can't summon a colossus that can tank navery for 20-30 seconds? And you can't heal/cure with heal stone which is as effective as having 50 enhance potions? And you can't put cleanse winds on a spell trigger for an instant remove curse/cure/heal for potentially 60+ damage?

These are all uses for Mysticism in PvM, most of which would not be effected by adjusting it for PvP purposes.
Or for PvP...

I just find Myst Super boring to Play and Fight..

And IMO.. When a Skill follows this Example, There might be a problem.

Best Offensive Spell in the game : Spell Plague

Best Healing Spell in the Game : Cleansing Winds

Most Powerful Combo for How Easy it is : Plague / Bolt Arrow / Trigger Spam

Most Powerful Disrupt for How Easy it is : Bolt / Arrow Spam

Most useful spell in the game : Purge Magic

Best Healing Item/Poiton in the Game : Healing Stone

Highest Possible Item Spell Proc without using a Special Strike : Enchant

Highest Possible Properties on a Weapon : Enchant

Easily the Best Summon in the game : Rising Coloususs

Best Polymorph/Shapechange in the game : Stone Form

Strongest Instant Damage Spell in the game : Hail Storm

Strongest finishing spell in the game : Spell Trigger

--------------------

Now yes, some of this is opinion, and based on weird situations.. But realistically this list isnt off by much.. And when a Skill Offers this kinda set up.. It might need to be looked at.

** I Made Purge most useful because Unless you have Purge.. You *WILL NOT* Kill a Smart Myst mage in prot with Cleansing spam **

** And I made the Bolt/Arrow Combo the best/most powerful disrupt/combo in the game, not because it is, but because it is the single easiest combo to use in the game currently *IMO* for how powerful it is **

S

Sunchicken

I agree mage is more skill based than hacks/cheats. I can see were using a speed type program could be a slight advantage. Not something i would personally use as an excuse.

Now as to the mysticism i would personaly like to see ma nb cast like stacking magic arrows, but if not thats ok i can manage.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 10, 2008
Muskegon, MI
Or for PvP...

I just find Myst Super boring to Play and Fight..

And IMO.. When a Skill follows this Example, There might be a problem.

Best Offensive Spell in the game : Spell Plague

Best Healing Spell in the Game : Cleansing Winds

Most Powerful Combo for How Easy it is : Plague / Bolt Arrow / Trigger Spam

Most Powerful Disrupt for How Easy it is : Bolt / Arrow Spam

Most useful spell in the game : Purge Magic

Best Healing Item/Poiton in the Game : Healing Stone

Highest Possible Item Spell Proc without using a Special Strike : Enchant

Highest Possible Properties on a Weapon : Enchant

Easily the Best Summon in the game : Rising Coloususs

Best Polymorph/Shapechange in the game : Stone Form

Strongest Instant Damage Spell in the game : Hail Storm

Strongest finishing spell in the game : Spell Trigger

--------------------

Now yes, some of this is opinion, and based on weird situations.. But realistically this list isnt off by much.. And when a Skill Offers this kinda set up.. It might need to be looked at.

** I Made Purge most useful because Unless you have Purge.. You *WILL NOT* Kill a Smart Myst mage in prot with Cleansing spam **

** And I made the Bolt/Arrow Combo the best/most powerful disrupt/combo in the game, not because it is, but because it is the single easiest combo to use in the game currently *IMO* for how powerful it is **
How dare you point out the obvious! :p

C

canary

I find it comical that you accuse me of "trolling" and yet every single one of your posts has nothing intellectual to contribute to the discussion whatsoever. :thumbup1:
No, I accused you of trolling because you are, in threads, telling people to 'shut up' as well as calling others 'morons' because they don't agree with you.

You entered your threadwith an opinion. I have supplied my opinion to you as a retort. You may feel free to disagree with mine (and others) opinions, but I don't think that telling someone to 'shut up' is a good way of conducting yourself in a debate or exchange. It's, well... a troll. rolleyes:

Unless of course you can supply me with an speadsheet of all the mages who use this combo, you know, these 'facts' that you allude to in your post. Otherwise, it's all opinion.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Nothing really, just the destruction of mage PvP completely.
How so? Can you please explain how you think it would destroy mage pvp?

To me it seems that it would make it closer to the original mage pvp which was awesome.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I agree mage is more skill based than hacks/cheats. I can see were using a speed type program could be a slight advantage. Not something i would personally use as an excuse.

Now as to the mysticism i would personaly like to see ma nb cast like stacking magic arrows, but if not thats ok i can manage.
Well from what I have seen most of the "elite" pvpers use speedhacks. If it didn't provide an advantage they wouldn't use it.

And when you are saying "slight advantage" that is all that is needed to interrupt someone when mage dueling.

Throw Myst on top of that and they are truly a formidable force.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 26, 2009
No, I accused you of trolling because you are, in threads, telling people to 'shut up' as well as calling others 'morons' because they don't agree with you.
No, I was just referring to you.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Baja Shard
No, I was just referring to you.
So this is all directed at one person.:lol:

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 3, 2004
How dare you point out the obvious! :p
And take out magic arrow part then throw all the rest to a nerve strike DEXER, you are all set. The most offensive (insta-kills) and most defensive (confidence, 4sec bandaid, cleansing wind) template you can ever have in UO. =P

Oh and if you are smarter than the average monkeys, you dont have to gimp it and go no resist, With little imbuing gears you will have 120 magic resist as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.