• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Who is getting sick of the multi boxers?

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is simple.

A) If you sub to multiple accounts, join the multiboxers! Its very EASY to setup.

B) If you disagree with it, stop attending events for the soul purpose of acquiring an item.

C) Drive to broadswords office and setup protest outside the office.

D) Quit.
E) Lets get something stopped that was never intended for the game

F) For **** it, go with A) and add to the **** show

Last edited:

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
13. Mar 17 - A Personal Jar Enclosed With The Tempestuous Aura Of The Legendary Stratus - Titan Of Air (20)
***A Porcelain Jar Enclosed With The Tempestuous Aura of the Legendary Stratos - Titan of Air

I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation because my voice has gone out by repeatedly expressing my views on this and nothing being done. Everyone here has fought against Multiboxing and the Dev team has already given their stance on it.... you're beating a dead horse
@lineman

You're also confusing what people are telling you as defending Multiboxing. In truth, they dislike it about as much as you.... if not more. What they are relaying back to you is what the DEV team has said and their points of view.

I attend all events with one character and do pretty good at them. I too see some of the multiboxers at play, but as a player... we cannot do anything about it. Our voices have been heard by the Dev team and was shot down multiple times. Plain and simple.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This discussion has been pretty good so far, but please make sure you don't name illegal 3rd party programs or the programs used to multibox in your posts since that is against the Stratics rules. The names of illegal programs had to be removed from a couple posts.

Thanks for keeping this discussion civil everyone :)
Just a thought here, but since Mesanna has openly said any third party application is ok as long as they aren't used unattended, perhaps its time to update the Stratics rules.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just a thought here, but since Mesanna has openly said any third party application is ok as long as they aren't used unattended, perhaps its time to update the Stratics rules.
A developer told us through a private conversation not too long ago that the 3rd party programs we currently don't allow people to talk about on the site are indeed still against the rules of UO. When Mesanna said that "any way you want to win" thing, she was not giving permission to use the illegal programs it was just an unfortunate choice of words. Since the programs are still against the rules of UO, there is no need for a change to that part of the forum rules.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A developer told us through a private conversation not too long ago that the 3rd party programs we currently don't allow people to talk about on the site are indeed still against the rules of UO. When Mesanna said that "any way you want to win" thing, she was not giving permission to use the illegal programs it was just an unfortunate choice of words. Since the programs are still against the rules of UO, there is no need for a change to that part of the forum rules.
Semantics aside, if they are only going to action an account if they are unattended... Then by default the programs aren't illegal, only the unattended use of them.

Isn't that the WHOLE crux of this thread?? Using an "illegal" third party program to control multiple UO clients at once? If the UO producer has openly said they will not action those people even when they are reported, then calling the program "illegal" is inaccurate.

Certainly, Stratics has the right to set its own rules. But at some point you have to call BS if they aren't enforcing the "rules".

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
The multibox program I use is called Alt-Tab. Check it out, it's got cool features specifically for UO like Double-Click when in warmode, and even supports keyboard functions that input straight to the client.exe, triggering ingame macros such as consecrate weapon, primary, secondary, attack last, enemy of one and more!

@Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix Can I get some clarification as to whether or I can continue using this? I'm hoping I, and others like me, can continue to use it and don't have to go back to the old program "Minimize-Maximize Window" because that one sucked.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
***A Porcelain Jar Enclosed With The Tempestuous Aura of the Legendary Stratos - Titan of Air

I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation because my voice has gone out by repeatedly expressing my views on this and nothing being done. Everyone here has fought against Multiboxing and the Dev team has already given their stance on it.... you're beating a dead horse
@lineman

You're also confusing what people are telling you as defending Multiboxing. In truth, they dislike it about as much as you.... if not more. What they are relaying back to you is what the DEV team has said and their points of view.

I attend all events with one character and do pretty good at them. I too see some of the multiboxers at play, but as a player... we cannot do anything about it. Our voices have been heard by the Dev team and was shot down multiple times. Plain and simple.
I apologized to the two people I was referring to on that earlier, I did mistake there replies for supporting it in an indirect way.

But you know if allot of people feel the same way about this issue it does not mean the subject can not be re visited. Just like the old saying "The greasy wheel gets the oil" . I mean its just gonna keep getting worse as more and more people do it. As it is now there are over a hundred characters at some events. Can you imagine what the lag will be when there are two hundred plus because everyone is multiboxing four or more characters?. Not to mention most people are making gargoyles now and so many people have no respect at these events and you cant even see whats going on half the time as there all flapping over the Em as well as the dragons being dragged on top of them as well, and then that spammer that we have all seen spamming pppppppppppppppppp. One thing I can say though is I have attended a couple Japanese shard events and they are pretty considerate on those shards.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This discussion has been pretty good so far, but please make sure you don't name illegal 3rd party programs or the programs used to multibox in your posts since that is against the Stratics rules. The names of illegal programs had to be removed from a couple posts.

Thanks for keeping this discussion civil everyone :)
I dont think they are illegal anymore.. :)

Collusion.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The EM system just needs to be wiped. Its not important, it has no impact on the game, it is only used to make money. No one remembers the story only the drop.

I would suggest the em system be changed to the current idoc system. IN which you dont know if the event will happen at 5 10 or 15 hours.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The multibox program I use is called Alt-Tab. Check it out, it's got cool features specifically for UO like Double-Click when in warmode, and even supports keyboard functions that input straight to the client.exe, triggering ingame macros such as consecrate weapon, primary, secondary, attack last, enemy of one and more!

@Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix Can I get some clarification as to whether or I can continue using this? I'm hoping I, and others like me, can continue to use it and don't have to go back to the old program "Minimize-Maximize Window" because that one sucked.
While I'm certain of your sarcasm, I think others may not be and it confuses some regarding the issue. No matter how fast you are with your "Alt-Tab" program, it is just multi-clienting. Just so everyone is clear, there is a BIG difference in multi-clienting and multi-boxing.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like Merus said there is a big difference between pressing one key and having all your characters cast a spell or you physically pressing a key for each character.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have brought the issue of multis/lag/crashes/bugs/illegal programs/scripting/cheating many times. i tried to get devs to do something. well, in the last month many friends have quit because of these issues/practices. that is 32 accounts closed or closing. now i need to decide whether to leave or stay. i never thought it would come to this. I'm not sure the devs realize how important this is for many people. the devs have done many great things but this is a game breaker for many people. maybe the devs will wake up. i wonder if any of the devs go to these events, hidden, and actually know whats going on. if they do, i guess they cant detect the illegal programs that allow the multis to flourish, and of coarse prove it lol. or maybe they have given up. this isn't rocket science, people just want things to be fair.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have brought the issue of multis/lag/crashes/bugs/illegal programs/scripting/cheating many times. i tried to get devs to do something. well, in the last month many friends have quit because of these issues/practices. that is 32 accounts closed or closing. now i need to decide whether to leave or stay. i never thought it would come to this. I'm not sure the devs realize how important this is for many people. the devs have done many great things but this is a game breaker for many people. maybe the devs will wake up. i wonder if any of the devs go to these events, hidden, and actually know whats going on. if they do, i guess they cant detect the illegal programs that allow the multis to flourish, and of coarse prove it lol. or maybe they have given up. this isn't rocket science, people just want things to be fair.
Sadly they either dont care, or they cant do anything about it.

The only way i see this being "solved" is an indirect route. Get rid of the drops and over half the people will stop coming. The only people left would be the people that truly care about the event itself.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sadly they either dont care, or they cant do anything about it.

The only way i see this being "solved" is an indirect route. Get rid of the drops and over half the people will stop coming. The only people left would be the people that truly care about the event itself.
aye, i wish there would be only 1 to 3 drops, if any. not 10, 20, 50 or more. i can only pray lol

Miss Twilight Eyes

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. This was my understanding of it also. Basically if you are not afk you are OK.

I tried to check the current programs approved for use with UO were but guess what....

http://help.ea.com/en/article/third-party-programs-approved-for-use-with-uo/
I actually wrote to broadsword and told them that this link is broken a couple months back. Their response was that it was an ingame issue and to page a GM. Um, for a broken link on your website? How is paging a GM going to help?

I came back for a little while but my interest is starting to wane again.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually wrote to broadsword and told them that this link is broken a couple months back. Their response was that it was an ingame issue and to page a GM. Um, for a broken link on your website? How is paging a GM going to help?

I came back for a little while but my interest is starting to wane again.
lol, its stuff like this that makes me laugh. I cannot believe how bad the Game is at customer service after 18 years of doing it. Im currently writing a program that will email them every 5 minutes until i see an adequate response. :)

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Everyone please stop blaming each other for anything that is wrong in UO or in your lives, its been made abundantly clear that its always my fault. I take full responsibility, because I'm the devil. :devil:

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone please stop blaming each other for anything that is wrong in UO or in your lives, its been made abundantly clear that its always my fault. I take full responsibility, because I'm the devil. :devil:
You're new badge of accomplishment.. Shortround.

free-devil-clipart.gif

Last edited:

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The EM system just needs to be wiped. Its not important, it has no impact on the game, it is only used to make money. No one remembers the story only the drop.

I would suggest the em system be changed to the current idoc system. IN which you dont know if the event will happen at 5 10 or 15 hours.
you beat me to it , i LOL'ed =)

slippjeem

Looking for a whispering rose for Little
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This is a bit off topic but going to the lack of interest or caring by the GM's and Mesanna...

I reported the coordinates of private houses with vendors on 4 Asian shards to GM’s more than 10 times and no result except for ( The I am sorry I didn't get to talk to you e-mail the next day but go to help and report it again, or as I call it the FU e-mail) I finally e-mailed them to Mesanna and they are all still private with max vendors after 4 months when all they had to do was delete those cheaters houses or the full vendors..................….

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
tbh What I am getting tired of is hearing people complain all the time.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This is a bit off topic but going to the lack of interest or caring by the GM's and Mesanna...

I reported the coordinates of private houses with vendors on 4 Asian shards to GM’s more than 10 times and no result except for ( The I am sorry I didn't get to talk to you e-mail the next day but go to help and report it again, or as I call it the FU e-mail) I finally e-mailed them to Mesanna and they are all still private with max vendors after 4 months when all they had to do was delete those cheaters houses or the full vendors..................….
You do know you can have vendors and have your doors all set to "owner only" right? So I mean what's the difference just use the house sign if you want to access the vendors.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tbh What I am getting tired of is hearing people complain all the time.
People pay money to play this game and have a right to complain, there has been good feedback in here mixed in with everything else.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
People pay money to play this game and have a right to complain, there has been good feedback in here mixed in with everything else.
But... doesn't that just boil down to who they pay money to in order to play this game? ;o

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just not a complaint, I have played other games and when things happen that aggravate me and I am no longer happy I just quit. And to be honest I have tried to with this game but the truth is I love this game, I like the events, allot of the people I can call friends who I have never actually met. I am also fond of most of the rares community. A few people have said this is about me not getting rares, I get rares, not allot but enough. Would I like everyone ? sure who wouldn't. But this is about observing whats been going on since I have been back and seeing how disappointed allot of people get. It is frustrating when your dedicated to a shard and attend all the role play stuff that has no reward besides the story and the people and then when the reward event comes up and 50 cross sharders come up and you never get a drop. That is allot of what I hear and see. Do I cross shard? yes. But I dont multibox four + players at the same time throwing it in there faces with guild tags like (I am taking your rares to Atlantic). Or spam ppppppppppppppppp to aggravate everyone, or berate the Em if he is not going at the speed they want because they have a event on a other shard in fifteen minutes. That is what gets frustrating in this game. I just think its detrimental. And this is what this multibox clan is bringing to the game.

panoramix2009

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i hate the new system
when house with vendor go slightly all vendor gone in sign house
not cool

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I do not believe that, you have a good ten or so people at events boxing roughly four accounts each, thats 40 accounts. If 40 accounts breaks UO then this game is doomed.
40 accounts won't break UO... 40 accounts, that's probably a good number of accounts to assume run multiple characters (multi-boxing or not). The issue is deeper... Rares are the easy money, but pretty much every item you see in game is done with some type of illegal or even legal operation beyond one account, etc... Kill one, kill all = bye bye UO!
(I am also against it)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dark Age of Camelot is another MMO from EA that is managed by Broadsword. Back in January, the producer for DAoC made a very clear announcement laying out the rules for how Broadsword would be regulating the use of macro programs to control multiple characters at once (he referred to them as "macro groups") in that game. It's obvious at least one of the teams managing games for EA at Broadsword has some understanding of the issue and feels it is worthwhile to BEGIN taking steps to address it. (Don't overlook the line where he says, "Due to our resources and based on player feedback, we feel this is the right first step to better combat 'macro groups.'")

The announcement can be found here: Dark Age of Camelot

I would suggest that people who feel strongly that "macro groups" are a problem in UO should contact Rob Denton at Broadsword and let him know that you want a similar clarifying announcement to be made for UO as well. I don't know for certain what his e-mail address is, but am guessing it may be rdenton @ broadsword dot com .

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dark Age of Camelot is another MMO from EA that is managed by Broadsword. Back in January, the producer for DAoC made a very clear announcement laying out the rules for how Broadsword would be regulating the use of macro programs to control multiple characters at once (he referred to them as "macro groups") in that game. It's obvious at least one of the teams managing games for EA at Broadsword has some understanding of the issue and feels it is worthwhile to BEGIN taking steps to address it. (Don't overlook the line where he says, "Due to our resources and based on player feedback, we feel this is the right first step to better combat 'macro groups.'")

The announcement can be found here: Dark Age of Camelot

I would suggest that people who feel strongly that "macro groups" are a problem in UO should contact Rob Denton at Broadsword and let him know that you want a similar clarifying announcement to be made for UO as well. I don't know for certain what his e-mail address is, but am guessing it may be rdenton @ broadsword dot com .
Very informative thank you.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Correction, you are the broker that seems to get embroiled in the most controversy. Whether or not the claims are substantiated, it is an interesting fact.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm against muliboxing. (program required to control multiple characters simultaneously)

I'm for multi-clienting. (multiple clients being controlled individually)
If neither of the above were possible, the only reason to have mutliple accounts would be for housing/storage.

The GMs can detect a certain illegal third-party program, it makes no sense that a player would need to be "unattended" for action to be taken on the account.
If said program is detected regardless of the player being attended or not, it's necessary to warn/suspend/ban if the offenses are repeated.

There's not much of a reason to have any rules if they're not being enforced.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Correction, you are the broker that seems to get embroiled in the most controversy. Whether or not the claims are substantiated, it is an interesting fact.
I suppose the more anyone puts their neck out to help players in this game the greater the chance there is to get your head lopped off. It is a fact, I have brokered trillions of gold for thousands of players in this game over a course of 8 years. I never presumed to offer the best or the fastest service, but at least players could count on me to be reliable and trustworthy with their items. The service was mainly free, but some people will complain no matter what you do. In life, no matter how good and noble your intentions are as a person, people will find fault in you, because for some people finding shortcomings in others brings joy to their sad existence and inflates their egos. I like to focus on the bright side of life.

@Longtooths If you really wanted me to outline all the times I assisted you with free with brokering, free transfers, vouched for your character, defended your positions and shared in friendly camaraderie, I could, or like you I can try to think of the one or two times you are were total jerk, never forget it, and always hold it against you. I would become a bitter old man. I am not perfect, I never claimed to be, and neither are you, but publicly attacking me for no current valid reason is unfounded, completely unnecessary, not worth your time, and I would hope beneath you. If you cared about the truth of facts surrounding any recent controversies, you would know from mutual friends, I am not at fault. Stop libeling me for it already, I would hope you have better things to do.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats nice. Wonder if EA is aware of whats going on here or if they even care.
To put it simply, they don't. They'll take action on someone afk macroing/farming if someone pages, and they do it pretty quickly. Page for harassment (it's pretty bad, been going on for MONTHS on LS, and it's all been directed at me) and it's "under further investigation" - Mesanna knows about it, because I've told her TWICE and even included screenshots in a recent email. She told me to do WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING (and I even told her I've been doing it...), as if she never even read my email except for a few words.

I get that the game is pretty much dead, subscription-wise, and they can't ban anyone because of the lost revenue (even though said player would likely be back on a new account, or has a backup already), but the current stances from the Devs reek of sheer incompetence.

Yes, they need to keep the $$$ flowing in, but at what point does it sink in that their actions have CAUSED the declining revenue? They allow all kinds of scripting, multiboxing, and 3rd party programs, as long as you're attended. I'm in no position to judge, as I do use a 3rd party program myself, but that's ridiculous. Other games ban for the use of them, like UO used to. IMO, they should all be legalized, or maybe the rules should be enforced.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Nails Warstein, In my last post I simply pointed out that you seem to get embroiled in a lot of controversy. It that not the truth? I sure didn't think it deserved the cuss-word laden ICQ you sent me. Maybe we should post that to an alternate location so people can see the real Nails?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Please don't derail this thread with personal arguments and attacking each others credibility, if you want to do that PM each other or argue in whichever "alternate location" that was mentioned. Stratics really isn't the place for it, especially not this thread which was a really good discussion until the bashing each other started. If it continues I'll just delete the posts since locking the thread would be unfair to everyone who has been behaving so far and wants to continue talking about the original posters concerns.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
totally agree with Prawn. Stop crying because you cannot own every single rare
No ones crying here. just people getting sick of the maggots. And there are a of allot us. But thanks for input and free bump.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I fail to see how punishing a community is a fix.
Want to see how fast UO loses most of it's player-base? Make all items character/shard bound. BOOM. Truth is, you never see as many people as you do at EM events. Multiboxing or not, almost (i daresay almost) everyone shows up on that last day of the month's EM event on whatever shard it may be if that shard hasn't had a drop all month. WHY? Well the answer is obvious.
Take that away and watch how crowds of people on most (american) shards dwindle down to less than a handfull during prime time hours. (Don't know if this is true for asian shards but for most others it is)

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Want to see how fast UO loses most of it's player-base? Make all items character/shard bound. BOOM. Truth is, you never see as many people as you do at EM events. Multiboxing or not, almost (i daresay almost) everyone shows up on that last day of the month's EM event on whatever shard it may be if that shard hasn't had a drop all month. WHY? Well the answer is obvious.
Take that away and watch how crowds of people on most (american) shards dwindle down to less than a handfull during prime time hours. (Don't know if this is true for asian shards but for most others it is)
NO NO NO they come for the story line .... wait for it......

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should be shard bound. Look at the rares forums and see when an event is over the same old people who multibox of course start posting, "Rares for Sale" This could hurt some RL mortgage's for some people not having that gold revenue coming in.
Shard bound gives the actual players who live on said shard a chance to have a neat item.
Maybe if they own a house on that shard they attend the event they get item 100% of the time and then a set number of items can drop to others. I do not know why the EM drop system hasn't changed bc it's evident the same people get items over and over. Change is needed but at this point rares have been so pumped into the economy there aren't really considered "rares" anymore