• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Producer's Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
these two lines are confusing to me (in a speculation point of view)

"our focus is to improve the existing game"

okay, so no Classic shard is what that means.

"focused on improving the game for everyone"

okay, so we get a classic shard.

*head explodes*
I don't see how that second part means a classic shard shard...
Not everyone wants a classic shard.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Considering that it's almost 6pm on Friday in Va, we've gotten all we getting this week.
Not even a "sorry guys, nothing yet"
:(

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 28th is when the gamecodes specials is over. March 1st we see the video. So it has been said...

---phantstradamus

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see how that second part means a classic shard shard...
Not everyone wants a classic shard.

let's say I'm teaching a class, 12 of my students wants green cupcakes. 3 want blue, and the other 7 want red.

now to please everyone I bring in red, green and blue cupcakes.

that's what I mean. Not everyone wants to keep UO the way it is, so by your logic that means they will shut down the current UO also o_O

I simply mean to please everyone you must do exactly that, cater to the needs of the multiple wants.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 28th is when the gamecodes specials is over. March 1st we see the video. So it has been said...

---phantstradamus
Ho Ho Ho Suckers

August 28 (when the High Seas booster was announced with game play videos) + 6 months = February 28
It is almost Booster announcement time. CAN YOU FEEL IT??

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
let's say I'm teaching a class, 12 of my students wants green cupcakes. 3 want blue, and the other 7 want red.

now to please everyone I bring in red, green and blue cupcakes.

that's what I mean. Not everyone wants to keep UO the way it is, so by your logic that means they will shut down the current UO also o_O

I simply mean to please everyone you must do exactly that, cater to the needs of the multiple wants.
Or satisfy any one of the multiple wants that normal people have. Because people are more complex than just wanting Specific Cake or No Cake; they may be satisfied with Orange Cake if they can't have Blue. And crumpets if there's no cake at all. And do things other than just eat at other times.

In this case, fixing lag, bug issues, adding functionality to the basic client which in theory would please "everyone" still playing, because they must get something out of the basic game to still be playing it, right? So that comment is more than likely referring to a communal want they think everyone will have, something that will aid them to increasingly enjoy something else they all do. Here's another example, one almost certainly not coming... A reduction in the cost of the monthly fee. That would please Everyone, right?!

Well, except for the insane monomaniacs that have been going on and on and on about a Classic shard and nothing else. The kind of people who not only don't listen to reason but will actually pay money for a game they hate, in the hopes that the clock will get miraculously turned back, even though it's not physically possible to do it any more. And by that I mean, you can't make people eat cake, that they know they don't like, when they've discovered a hundred bakers that will cook crumpets they could be eating now instead.

Such minds are beyond any rational person's understanding, and I rather doubt any such statement was made with that kind of mindset in mind.

I'm not saying that's you Derium; but you've certainly allowed your hopes to considerably warp what the intended message of that statement was, and it's because you want to hear that a "Classic" Shard is coming. And later on, this thread will become more "evidence" of how the Dev Team torments and leads people on, because "Cal hinted at a Classic shard!!!" even though a simple stepping aside from personal bias would have allowed people to see the wider meaning intended.

Perhaps there will be a "Classic" shard, although my money would be on there not being; mostly because of the insane distortion of reality the few remaining supporters are engaged in, which rational people again aren't prone too... which includes the Dev Team and EA bean counters, despite how competent they may or may not prove in their daily employment; Someone on Stratics recently, and seriously claimed that "Classic" free shards had 10x the players of official EA servers, which then got inflated by him to a figure of nearly 1,000,000 players... do any of you really think if that ridiculous figure was even vaguely true, EA wouldn't be trying, no matter how incompetently, to get a serious slice of that pie?

Which leads to the Cognitive Dissonance you see constantly on Stratics.

An overarching principle of cognitive dissonance is that it involves the formation of an idea or emotion in conflict with a fundamental element of the self-concept, such as "I am a successful/functional person", "I am a good person", or "I made the right decision." The anxiety that comes with the possibility of having made a bad decision can lead to rationalization, the tendency to create additional reasons or justifications to support one's choices. A person who just spent too much money on a new car might decide that the new vehicle is much less likely to break down than his or her old car. This belief may or may not be true, but it would reduce dissonance and make the person feel better. Dissonance can also lead to confirmation bias, the denial of dis-confirming evidence, and other ego defense mechanisms.
But I would say that, because I "hate and fear" people calling for a "Classic" shard. And "Classic" is by it's definition "Better", isn't it?!

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...except for the insane monomaniacs that have been going on and on and on about a Classic shard and nothing else. The kind of people who not only don't listen to reason but will actually pay money for a game they hate, in the hopes that the clock will get miraculously turned back, even though it's not physically possible to do it any more. And by that I mean, you can't make people eat cake, that they know they don't like, when they've discovered a hundred bakers that will cook crumpets they could be eating now instead.

Such minds are beyond any rational person's understanding, and I rather doubt any such statement was made with that kind of mindset in mind.
Just had to say this: Excellent assessment!

Since yet another week has rolled by without the video, I think the idea that PR is still holding things up is what stinks. As in its a line of bull.

A PR department, unless its brain dead, would bend over backwards to make sure its products are seen in the best light possible. They wouldn't hold things up for 18+ days for phantom footage while the customers sharpen their pitchforks and ready their torches.

Game footage could be acquired in minutes. Rather high-quality footage is frequently provided right here on Stratics using Fraps. One would think that that Mythic would have an equal or better system for capturing video, and we know they have internal test shards they could use for mock ups.

If 'more' "game footage" is all its down to, they've had plenty of time. Quite honestly, the Producer's video is for the players not potential people who might possibly think about considering the notion of playing a 13yo game.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

And "Classic" is by it's definition "Better", isn't it?!
I think that would depend entirely upon whom you were to ask.

Personally, there are some things I prefer the "classic" version of, and others that I do not.

Examples:

- I prefer the "classic" Star Wars films over the newer ones. Some people really liked Jar Jar Binks and Ayden Christiansen and Anakin Skywalker as a wise-cracking little kid. Others prefer Chewbacca, Harrison Ford, and Darth Vader.

- I prefer the modern version of my car. I drive a Nissan 350Z Roadster. It's really fun, it's cute, and it's fast...and reliable. Other people like classic 240Z's, they are not as fast, not as reliable (due to age)...but some people like the look of it.

- I prefer MP3's and CD's, others prefer Vinyl albums. I like not having to manually move a needle, not having the crackling and popping...others would argue that MP3's lose much in compression, and that CD's lack a warm feel.

- I prefer the "classic" version of Diet Coke, others like Coke Zero. Both have zero calories (I think), but there is a difference in how they taste.

- I prefer the "classic" version of the Walt Disney World ride Spaceship Earth. I liked Walter Cronkite's narration...others prefer Judy Dench.

I could go on and on...but I won't bother.

The point is, that calling everyone that likes one or more of these things over the others, things like "irrational", "warpped", "insane", "ridiculous" is just...well, narrow minded.

This is not any kind of advocation of a Classic Shard, that ship has obviously sailed, I am just commenting on your mischaracterization of those that did support the idea.

Next, I suppose anyone that prefers cable TV over Satellite, or FM over XM, will be called "monomaniacs".

Just understand...not everyone likes the same things...and move on...that is exactly what Classic Shard fans are going to have to do.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since yet another week has rolled by without the video, I think the idea that PR is still holding things up is what stinks. As in its a line of bull.

A PR department, unless its brain dead, would bend over backwards to make sure its products are seen in the best light possible. They wouldn't hold things up for 18+ days for phantom footage ...

Game footage could be acquired in minutes. Rather high-quality footage is frequently provided right here on Stratics using Fraps.
"A carrot dangler is someone who promises something—to help you out, to give you something, to introduce you to someone, or whatever—and never comes through. When you try to collect on the promise, there is always some reason why they can't give it to you right then, though they tell you they will do it another time. But when "another time" comes along, that isn't a good time either, and so it goes, until you give up on that carrot, and then they start to dangle another carrot."

The quote above seems more and more appropriate daily.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blah, blah blah...

The point is, that calling everyone that likes one or more of these things over the others, things like "irrational", "warpped", "insane", "ridiculous" is just...well, narrow minded.

Nice strawman.

He wasn't talking about "everyone" who likes "Classic" things. Not Coke vs Coke Zero, CDs vs vinyl, etc. He was talking about the "Classic Sharders," such as yourself, who will go out of their way to bend, spindle, twist, and mutilate reality to fit in line with your holy crusade.

You all ignore facts, ‘hard evidence,’ things stated by the producer and 'the single most respected ex-Dev Team member ever' because they don't suit your cause. In return, you all spout ridiculous claims about "thousands" waiting in the shadows to populate a classic shard. Claim that the free shards players are just itching to pay EA to an 'official classic shard' instead of continuing to play where there are for, well, you know...free. These are claims that cannot be backed up in any form.

You all also come say that 'classic UO' was the way it was meant to be, once again ignoring the comments from Garriot and the era’s Dev Team about how PKs, griefing, and the lack of any meaningful 'player justice' was a complete failure on their part. A grand social experiment that proved that the anonymity of the internet allows sociopaths to flourish.

Was 'classic UO' all about PKs? No, the game would have tanked faster than WAR has if it were. Old UO did have a closer-knit community feel back then, the game world was physically smaller and there were a hell of a lot more players. A classic shard won't magically bring that back, in fact chances are it will only dilute things further.

As much as you may dislike it, Siege is the closest thing to "classic" you are likely to get. It has: PKs, no insurance, no Trammel. It does have AoS though, no chance you can escape that - eight years have passed, get over it already.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What will a video show which can't be just as easily conveyed with text and pictures? It is a lot of unnecessary work and is delaying an update we could have gotten weeks ago. We don't even get good text updates and they decide to try and do video. Other games get regular blogs about the game. Eve Online gets blog updates every couple days that we are lucky to see two or three times per year.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when you look at a cloud you see what you want to see.

when someone says something vague and you have this silly thing you called 'Hope'... funny thing about Hope, it's such a massive thing that even if you only have a sliver of it, it trumps your other feelings... anyways. You tend to 'Hope' it means what you want it to mean. (what I did)

The reason I responded to the first person who said anything about my comment is because due to their logic, all of UO should be canceled because not every single person likes the current path it's on. seemed a bit silly.

I'm not going to sit here and argue about classic VS WoW clone UO (remember kids, the guy who made AoS is the lead producer of WoW).

I am rather salty that no matter when anyone says "hey, a classic shard would be cool" you get a billion morons coming out of the woodwork trying to rip you a new one just because you like classic UO... It gets old fast people. yes yes not all of them are morons, I'm talking about the ones who want to attack you just because you like something they don't ;)

I've tried my best to not attack the anti-classic people. Even though I've taken a beating for expressing my interest in it... Hell, I've taken a massive beating because I talk to Garriott... It's funny, if you are tied to old school UO at all, or you have fond memories of old school UO everyone in current UO wants you dead (stratic forums at least). Do people forget the only reason they are playing this game that they enjoy is because of us old school players? And people like Garriott. anywho, don't hate us because we want something different, we are still cut fromt he same cloth no matter how much it's morphed (UO).

this is not directed at you Adol, so don't think that.

p.s. whoever said something about the most respected Dev/producer/whatever. Dunno who you're talking about, but Starr was my most respected.

C

canary

What will a video show which can't be just as easily conveyed with text and pictures? It is a lot of unnecessary work and is delaying an update we could have gotten weeks ago. We don't even get good text updates and they decide to try and do video. Other games get regular blogs about the game. Eve Online gets blog updates every couple days that we are lucky to see two or three times per year.
Well, there's a reason EVE has gained subscribers over the years while UO has only managed to lose theirs...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm not going to sit here and argue about classic VS WoW clone UO (remember kids, the guy who made AoS is the lead producer of WoW).

Correllation/Causation error here.

AOS released WELL before WoW (if I remember correctly it was about the time the very first WoW video cropped up on the net). Just because a former UO Dev now leads WoW doesn't mean that AOS (or anything that came after) and WoW had ANYTHING to do with each other.

You correllate the two, but one did not cause the other in the manner you suggest.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

uhhh, I just read through their updates when you linked that... I might actually play more EVE now lol. I normally just log onto my accounts when evemon tells me to so I can pick more skills heh.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am rather salty that no matter when anyone says "hey, a classic shard would be cool" you get a billion morons coming out of the woodwork trying to rip you a new one just because you like classic UO... It gets old fast people.
You realize, by breaking RoC Rule B (since even something as vague as what you said has been construed as such before) you risk the nice little 'S' by your name, right? Might want to consider that before blanket labeling anyone who disagrees with you a "moron."

Do people forget the only reason they are playing this game that they enjoy is because of us old school players?
Lots of us 'old school' players still exist. Many of us recognize the fact that pre-Trammel days kinda sucked for anyone who wasn't heavy into PvP. So before you go slinging around hyperbole, please recognize the fact that not everyone who played back then liked many of the mechanics you all seem to pine for (and are at least relatively happy with the UO of today).

p.s. whoever said something about the most respected Dev/producer/whatever. Dunno who you're talking about, but Starr was my most respected.
That would be Draconi, he was lead developer till just after SA, pretty much the only one most 'modern' players are likely to remember. Starr Long exited so long ago that only people *actually* playing then remember his influence. Its too bad his version of UO2 tanked, that was a true tragedy. :(

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Correllation/Causation error here.

AOS released WELL before WoW (if I remember correctly it was about the time the very first WoW video cropped up on the net). Just because a former UO Dev now leads WoW doesn't mean that AOS (or anything that came after) and WoW had ANYTHING to do with each other.

You correllate the two, but one did not cause the other in the manner you suggest.

um... he admitted to a lot of it. soooo, you know his actions better than himself??

let's see, he saw WoW before it was released, said "that's the future of games".

then worked on AoS and gave us item stats and all of that in order to bring UO into the future alongside of WoW. Because in his mind the only way UO could compete in the market, was to "be like WoW, only better".

left UO and went nuts on BC.

I'll let you watch all the interviews to sort the rest out.

anywho, yes they have A LOT in common. AoS is the MAIN reason we want a classic server.

if UO didn't change ANYTHING besides the item stats, it would be close enough to classic to make most classic people happy.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You all ignore facts, ‘hard evidence,’ things stated by the producer and 'the single most respected ex-Dev Team member ever' because they don't suit your cause. In return, you all spout ridiculous claims about "thousands" waiting in the shadows to populate a classic shard.
1st - Please show me any post by myself that has claimed that there are "thousands waiting in the shadows to populate a classic shard".

2nd - I ignored nothing that was posted by Cal or Draconi. There was ... what is being called ... a misunderstanding. I am not going to bother getting back into all of that. I saw the PMs, Cal saw them, no one else did, and it shall remain that way.

These are claims that cannot be backed up in any form.
You will get no argument from me there. I never said they could. However, neither can any claim that former players will not come back.

You all also come say that 'classic UO' was the way it was meant to be
Nice mis-quote. I said AS DESIGNED

and the lack of any meaningful 'player justice' was a complete failure
A position I have espoused since before you were playing UO.

A classic shard won't magically bring that back, in fact chances are it will only dilute things further
Never claimed otherwise.

As much as you may dislike it, Siege is the closest thing to "classic" you are likely to get.
Untrue. There are other options.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

AOS is more Diablo than WoW... BY FAR, and I believe that is what was admitted. The WoW comparisons only came into play with the new UI in KR/EC (which is also a faulty comparison because the UI is more of a standard newer client UI that is used across the MMO spectrum, and KR/EC's UI was MUCH more powerful than WoW's right out of the box.

Besides... what has WoW done that's original to itself that others have ripped off anyway? Even Warcraft as an IP premise is a ripoff of Warhammer.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"You realize, by breaking RoC Rule B (since even something as vague as what you said has been construed as such before) you risk the nice little 'S' by your name, right? Might want to consider that before blanket labeling anyone who disagrees with you a "moron.""

anyone who wants to label themselves as a moron, then complain to a stratics mod would be rather silly o_O

I did not say everyone who is anti-classic is a moron, I simply said it attracts many morons. buuuut, it people really wanna take it that far. guess I'll change it o_O

"Lots of us 'old school' players still exist. Many of us recognize the fact that pre-Trammel days kinda sucked for anyone who wasn't heavy into PvP. So before you go slinging around hyperbole, please recognize the fact that not everyone who played back then liked many of the mechanics you all seem to pine for (and are at least relatively happy with the UO of today)"

I'm fine with tram.

"classic shard" has been taken as anything pre AoS. That was the vote, and that's what I mean when I speak of it.

I hated hally mages, stealth home invasions, stacked reggies to form stairs into my house, mad server lag, too many true return home bugs, many more dupes ect ect.

however, all I care about is no item stats. And that's the discussion now.

classic: anything pre AoS

anti-classic : want item stats

unless there was a new thread landing on a different meaning, I'm going to keep rolling with what was agreed on.

"That would be Draconi, he was lead developer till just after SA, pretty much the only one most 'modern' players are likely to remember. Starr Long exited so long ago that only people *actually* playing then remember his influence. Its too bad his version of UO2 tanked, that was a true tragedy. "

I don't know much about Draconi, I just know Starr was amazing. heh

I still think there should be a UO2.4! grrr

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You realize, by breaking RoC Rule B (since even something as vague as what you said has been construed as such before) you risk the nice little 'S' by your name, right? Might want to consider that before blanket labeling anyone who disagrees with you a "moron."
How is that different that you labeling anyone who disagrees with you as "ridiculous"?

In return, you all spout ridiculous claims
Pot, meet Kettle...

the fact that pre-Trammel days kinda sucked for anyone who wasn't heavy into PvP.

So before you go slinging around hyperbole
Pot, meet Kettle...again.

please recognize the fact that not everyone who played back then liked many of the mechanics you all seem to pine for
I would merely like to point out that he (or any other Classic Shard supporter) is not actively seeking to prevent you from playing the style and enjoying the mechanics you seem to enjoy.

Thank you.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

AOS is more Diablo than WoW... BY FAR, and I believe that is what was admitted. The WoW comparisons only came into play with the new UI in KR/EC (which is also a faulty comparison because the UI is more of a standard newer client UI that is used across the MMO spectrum, and KR/EC's UI was MUCH more powerful than WoW's right out of the box.

Besides... what has WoW done that's original to itself that others have ripped off anyway? Even Warcraft as an IP premise is a ripoff of Warhammer.

no no, I'M not saying WoW was the first. I'm saying when Tom saw WoW for the first time he "knew" it was going to be the best MMO (keep in mind he knew about WoW before it was pushed to the public), so UO had to be updated to compete with it.

Even WoW players hate the guy, trust me, he's a nut-job. I'm just telling you why AoS was a crazy as it was. UO needed to rival and beat WoW in his mind.

it didn't, plus he jumped ship and took the lead designer spot with Blizz. He wanted a game 'like' WoW, when UO failed to give him that, he ditched us and ran to Blizz.

so in a twisted way UO was a WoW clone even before the fact.

that's why I giggle when a current UO player talks trash about WoW. The same guy sent both games in their current directions, the same guy tried to make both games identical as much as possible... funny how you can love one and hate the other o_O

C

chanshaw

no no, I'M not saying WoW was the first. I'm saying when Tom saw WoW for the first time he "knew" it was going to be the best MMO (keep in mind he knew about WoW before it was pushed to the public), so UO had to be updated to compete with it.

Even WoW players hate the guy, trust me, he's a nut-job. I'm just telling you why AoS was a crazy as it was. UO needed to rival and beat WoW in his mind.

it didn't, plus he jumped ship and took the lead designer spot with Blizz. He wanted a game 'like' WoW, when UO failed to give him that, he ditched us and ran to Blizz.

so in a twisted way UO was a WoW clone even before the fact.
I played UO since 97.. quit for abit went to WoW played it for maybe 2 years, and it got boring as all hell, all in all I'd say UO is actually alot better and way more to do. They have put alot more effort into UO then WoW when it comes to game content, although WoW wins on the graphics... but who cares about those?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played UO since 97.. quit for abit went to WoW played it for maybe 2 years, and it got boring as all hell, all in all I'd say UO is actually alot better and way more to do. They have put alot more effort into UO then WoW when it comes to game content, although WoW wins on the graphics... but who cares about those?
I agree with you there for sure. And that's why people on these forums are still stuck with me *rubs hands together and laughs like a madman*

C

canary

google it, I shouldn't have to because you're lazy o_O

just make sure you find the 1,000+ thread on the WoW forums too, that links to MANY things about him too.
Wait... so you bring up that we need to see these videos to find out you are telling the alleged truth, but then you don't even bother to have them ready to back up your claims?

Uhhh... ok. So, basically, you have no clue what you are actually talking about and making up your own facts. Gotcha. :thumbup:

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

WoW wins on the graphics... but who cares about those?
Based on the sales of high-end video cards, I'd say the majority of gamers place a high priority on graphics.

*Disclaimer: No, Martyna Zmuir, I do not have exact numbers to back up that claim/opinion, so please do not bother with the multi-font/multi-color rant asking for them.

Thank you.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Even with me supporting a classic shard this thread and argument are becoming a daily joke.

And EA mythic wins again, makes us look like fools, they wont even give us a time line, its turned once again moderators vs. idealist (I use this term lightly) to warn people for at times condescending text and tone.

I should be able to say "Boy I am shocked at the lack of CS" but 11 yrs later the game itself has lost its true form which I dont even think the "classic" idea could ever bring it back. Thats even if anyone could A. Find the code and B. Agree on what version they want.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait... so you bring up that we need to see these videos to find out you are telling the alleged truth, but then you don't even bother to have them ready to back up your claims?

Uhhh... ok. So, basically, you have no clue what you are actually talking about and making up your own facts. Gotcha. :thumbup:

allow me first to quote Sunsword about Aos "it was the wrong direction to take UO"

Tom Chilton (game developer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Interview 2 (PC) - GameSpot Video

GameSpy: Tom Chilton on PvP in World of Warcraft - Page 1

Tom Chilton

WoW.com -> PvP -> PvP Honor System and Rewards

BlizzCast - The Blizzard Entertainment Podcast <- archived

YouTube - World of Warcraft GC 10: Tom Chilton Interview

YouTube - Kalgan talks to ESL TV - June '09

YouTube - Interview mit WoW Lead Game Designer Tom Chilton Gamescom 2010 (Part 1)

YouTube - World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Gamescom 2010 Interview: Tom Chilton

YouTube - Blizzcon 2010 Interview with Tom Chilton (Q&A)

YouTube - WoW: Cataclysm GC 09: Tom Chilton Interview. [HD]

YouTube - World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Interview

YouTube - WOW Main Change in Cataclysm - Tom Chilton Interview

YouTube - BlizzCon 09: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Interview

YouTube - Interview mit WoW Lead Game Designer Tom Chilton Gamescom 2010 (Part 2)

YouTube - Mystique Gaming

YouTube - WoW Cataclysm Interview - What is the Mantaur?

YouTube - gamona on Tour: Interview mit J. Allen Brack und Tom Chilton

Exclusive: Tom Chilton Dishes Details On Cataclysm - World of Raids Forums

Tom Chilton - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

Tom Chilton -- WoW Insider

World of WarCraft: Cataclysm with Tom Chilton - Interview - play.tm

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm's Tom Chilton & Alex Afrasiabi on AOTS Tonight - G4tv.com

Designing World of Warcraft: Tom Chilton interview | PC Gamer

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-11-27/20091127041731030,1.shtml

Exclusive Interview: World of Warcraft's Tom Chilton on Patch 4.0.3a - World of Warcraft News - Curse

Blizzard’s Scrooge: Tom Chilton Dismisses Player Housing for WoW | Wolfshead Online

Afterwords: World of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King - World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - PC - www.GameInformer.com

WoW: Tom Chilton Interview: Part 2 | Ten Ton Hammer

Interview: Blizzard’s Tom Chilton | VG247

Tom Chilton and his righteous game design | The Cesspit.

WarCry Network : World Of Warcraft: Exclusive Interview with Tom Chilton (Lead Designer)

Urban Dictionary: Kalgan

Kalgan's Warrior and his new Mage; an alternative way to predict changes | Vengeful Gladiator Buldoz the Mage | WoW Riot | WotLK, Wrath of the Lich King, WoW, World of Warcraft, Arena Season 5

UO Stratics - Evocare

"One of my primary goals here at Origin is to take a holistic approach the design of game systems. In order to deliver the best possible play experience, it’s crucial that we have a keen understanding of how each game system relates to other game systems. The idea is to create and maintain a web of essentially symbiotic game system relationships so that the combination of systems becomes dramatically more interesting and compelling than the sum of the value of each individually. Beyond creating an interesting and deep game world, one of the greatest benefits of this approach is the ability to deliver the aforementioned experience with a minimum of complexity and clutter when compared to a game of equal depth that is comprised of largely unrelated game systems. "

lol, I love that from him

"Evocare" is PvP Lead Designer on WoW | The Cesspit.

I'm banned from the WoW forums for life, but log in and do a search for "evocare" "Tom Chilton" and "Kalgan" (I know you won't because you want me to do the work for you... for some silly reason). but when they went over to new forums and the old went read only, you can't find the posts now by a simple google search it seems.

Kalgan on Retribution

Posts by Kalgan

WoW Insider Kalgan Interview: 3.2 Info and more - World of Raids Forums

Tom "Kalgan" Chilton Labeled, "moron." - Personal Musings - Curse

Mages won't get nerfed. Kalgan plays one. - World of Warcraft | TM

"This particular link shows that the UO classes were Kalganized" broken though, log into the UK forums to try and find it: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XQ775gjrw&sig2=EuQ0NjkpMCekcbmZhp4c8w&cad=rja

Reroll!

Ultima Online Storm Chat 3 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Ultima Online Storm Chat 4 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Ultima Online Storm Chat 10 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Evocare on Early Settler Bless Deeds

Sunsword/Evocare with added info on Magic items

Freeborn Press: EA: Comments from Evocare

Evocare leaves UO, heads for WoW

"Quote Originally Posted by WoW Stratics
Our sister site, the somewhat legendary UO Stratics reported today based on secure sources that the Lead Designer of Ultima Online has left OSI/EA to join the ranks of Blizzard as a Senior Designer for World of Warcraft:
Quote Originally Posted by UO Stratics
We are receiving several reports from throughout the MMORPG community that Tom "Evocare" Chilton, formerly the Lead Designer for Ultima Online, has already left OSI/Electronic Arts to become a Senior Designer for Blizzard's upcoming MMORPG, World of Warcraft (see WOW Stratics for more details on this game).

As we find out more details about this, we will let you know.
To those not familiar with Tom "Evocare" Chilton, he is known as somewhat of a hardcore PvP guru in the UO community. This might be amone the reasons Blizzard has snatched him. For more information on him, you can visit the Meet the Team section over at UO Stratics or read his team comments here.

As soon as we find out more about his departure from OSI/EA and arrival at Blizzard, we'll let you know. We are trying to get some official comments from Evocare and Electronic Arts as well as from Blizzard; expect something in the coming weeks."

after reading these links and learning about him, you'll see how this exactly fits:

"Kalgan was a lead designer on Ultima Online before Blizzard picked him up, and yeah, almost all his "great new" ideas for WoW were pretty much straight revamps of what he did or wanted to do in Ultima. If you are curious you should look up Evocare (Kalgan's Ultima Online name)."

The World of Warcraft Community - Page 2 - Runes of Magic US Forums

Tom "Evocare" Chilton - Fires of Heaven Guild Message Board

Why Electronic Arts' Ultima Online Sucks? - Britannia Tavern (General) - Ultima Online - MMORPG.com Forums

I need a smoke, after you read/watch all of those and still wanna be a smartass, I'll continue to be one right back at ya :thumbup:

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you claim to not know who Sunsword was, I'll have to bash my head into the wall a few times.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I should be able to say "Boy I am shocked at the lack of CS" but 11 yrs later the game itself has lost its true form which I dont even think the "classic" idea could ever bring it back. Thats even if anyone could A. Find the code and B. Agree on what version they want.
I don't think there is nearly as much question about which version is wanted, that's just a red herring...so much as there is about whether or not there is money in the budget to pull it off.

It is pretty obvious that the video is meant to be a spin job, aimed at quelling the backlash that will follow the announcement. It will fail however. The people that want a classic shard don't want the current game plus a video full of excuses...they want a classic shard. When they don't get it, accounts will be cancelled.

*Disclaimer: No, Martyna Zmuir, I do not have exact numbers as to how many people will actually cancel their accounts, so please do not launch the multi-font/multi-color rant asking for them.

Thank you.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even with me supporting a classic shard this thread and argument are becoming a daily joke.

And EA mythic wins again, makes us look like fools, they wont even give us a time line, its turned once again moderators vs. idealist (I use this term lightly) to warn people for at times condescending text and tone.

well, they did ship the code on disc o_O I think that's why all the freeshards started to pop up. Nothing like a bonus free source with a UO expansion heh.

T2A was it? hrrm, that I don't know off the top of my head.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"You realize, by breaking RoC Rule B (since even something as vague as what you said has been construed as such before) you risk the nice little 'S' by your name, right? Might want to consider that before blanket labeling anyone who disagrees with you a "moron.""

anyone who wants to label themselves as a moron, then complain to a stratics mod would be rather silly o_O

I did not say everyone who is anti-classic is a moron, I simply said it attracts many morons. buuuut, it people really wanna take it that far. guess I'll change it o_O
Here is what you said, exactly:

I am rather salty that no matter when anyone says "hey, a classic shard would be cool" you get a billion morons coming out of the woodwork trying to rip you a new one just because you like classic UO... It gets old fast people.
You didn't differentiate between morons and "non-moron 'anti-classic sharders'." You made a rather blanket statement. You may have meant what you said above, but its not what you actually stated. You 'work' for Stratics, I 'worked' for Stratics. We both know the rather lock-step mentality being employed here. Just phrase things more carefuly in the future.

I'm fine with tram.
Good.

"classic shard" has been taken as anything pre AoS. That was the vote, and that's what I mean when I speak of it.

I hated hally mages, stealth home invasions, stacked reggies to form stairs into my house, mad server lag, too many true return home bugs, many more dupes ect ect.

however, all I care about is no item stats. And that's the discussion now.

classic: anything pre AoS

anti-classic : want item stats

unless there was a new thread landing on a different meaning, I'm going to keep rolling with what was agreed on.
Going to giggle here. While 'pre-AoS' might have been "agreed" on by the few people on Stratics, that doesn't mean it was agreed on in any meaningful way. Unless the Devs actually participate in a conversation, nothing has been "agreed on." While yes, I believe that a classic shard is pre-AoS, I would have to continue on to say that it is pre-Pub 16. Now, does that opinion really matter? No, notsomuch.

Until the Devs start posting their own polls and start collecting real data, nothing has been agreed on past the 'in theory' level.

"That would be Draconi, he was lead developer till just after SA, pretty much the only one most 'modern' players are likely to remember. Starr Long exited so long ago that only people *actually* playing then remember his influence. Its too bad his version of UO2 tanked, that was a true tragedy. "

I don't know much about Draconi, I just know Starr was amazing. heh

I still think there should be a UO2.4! grrr
Really? Have you played the last like 6 years? At. All? This is kinda like saying you didn't know that the sky was blue or that water was wet....

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How is that different that you labeling anyone who disagrees with you as "ridiculous"?

In return, you all spout ridiculous claims

Pot, meet Kettle...

Your reading ability must be above a 5th grade level, so why isn't the comprehension?

Notice that I never once called anyone ridiculous.. Even the QUOTE you used proves that. I called the claims ridiculous. Please learn that context matters.

But, since we both know you can't actually back up what you say, you have to attack the person instead of the argument. Well done, Morgana, thank you for proving my point!

the fact that pre-Trammel days kinda sucked for anyone who wasn't heavy into PvP.

So before you go slinging around hyperbole

Pot, meet Kettle...again.

Yes, because people who didn't like PvP were lining up to be your personal victims, right? They enjoyed being ganked, dry looted, then rez killed?

Sorry, hun, but no. The majority of people who do not enjoy PvP did not pay to be subjected to it on a daily basis. Why you cannot comprehend such a simple fact eludes me. Thus Trammel. Fel became PvP only, and the vast majority of players migrated there. Yes, PvP in Fel still existed, but your prey were gone. Wolves v wolves obviously isn't your style.

This argument is done with. Your inability to understand/accept that Trammel won, notwithstanding.

please recognize the fact that not everyone who played back then liked many of the mechanics you all seem to pine for

I would merely like to point out that he (or any other Classic Shard supporter) is not actively seeking to prevent you from playing the style and enjoying the mechanics you seem to enjoy.

That is the most disingenuous piece of tripe that the "classic sharders" spout! "We don't want to take away from your play experience, we just want what we lost!" You've played UO recently? You've seen what this Dev Team is capable of, right? Treasure maps, the first release? High Seas? Right?

Do you HONESTLY believe they are capable of creating, testing, fixing, retesting (etc), a THIRD rule set without the regular production shards floundering? Baring EM events, such an undertaking would consume the Dev Team for months before anything was available to the public. The handful of people they have now aren't capable of a bug free publish, what makes you think a classic shard wouldn't tank the whole system?

If you think that the rest of us, who aren't foaming at the mouth for a classic shard, are willing to wait while your dream shard is created you're patently delusional.

What you "lost" was 8-10 years ago, depending on your definition. Get. Over. It. Its not coming back how you want it, no matter how much fist raising and mournful cries to the heavens you produce.

This IS a case of the needs of the many, outweighing the needs of the few. (YOU are the few, FYI)

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You made a rather blanket statement. You may have meant what you said above, but its not what you actually stated. You 'work' for Stratics, I 'worked' for Stratics. We both know the rather lock-step mentality being employed here. Just phrase things more carefuly in the future.

point well taken sir. and yes, I meant the morons are in fact included in the other people. Just like someone would say "the freaks come out at night" well, you would only know that if you yourself was out at night right? but you in no means are implying you're a freak, or that 100% of said people outside at dark are freaks.

;)

Going to giggle here. While 'pre-AoS' might have been "agreed" on by the few people on Stratics, that doesn't mean it was agreed on in any meaningful way. Unless the Devs actually participate in a conversation, nothing has been "agreed on." While yes, I believe that a classic shard is pre-AoS, I would have to continue on to say that it is pre-Pub 16. Now, does that opinion really matter? No, notsomuch.

Until the Devs start posting their own polls and start collecting real data, nothing has been agreed on past the 'in theory' level.
what i mean by that is the 'collective' agreement made by the players in the 3 or so looong threads. Including the sticky that was up for a while.

while EA keeps their mouth shut about it, then yes there is no true Classic shard in mind. Best I can do however is go off of what most people (on these forums) seemed to agree on.

Really? Have you played the last like 6 years? At. All? This is kinda like saying you didn't know that the sky was blue or that water was wet....

Sorry, never once spoke to them. so I can't claim to know much.

I spoke to Mesanna everyday for a while, but it wasn't until her and I sat down in game and spoke for a while that I was able to form an opinion of her (she BTW is the best person for UO in many many years... IMHO). Same goes for my opinions on people like Garriott and Starr.

Yes I know the name Draconi, I know what was happening at the time, but I had no clue about the person behind the name other than random posts I read. Not enough for me to form an opinion of respect.

think of Sunsword, when Chilton ditched UO for WoW, it seemed as if AoS was the child of Sunsword, when it wasn't. Just happened Chilton left before it all went live. So Sunsword had to appear hyped about it (when Sunsword didn't like it).

Now from the outside it would have seemed Sunsword created AoS and was excited to see it go live. Yet had you sat down with them (as people did later) you would have found out it was not the case at all.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Based on the sales of high-end video cards, I'd say the majority of gamers place a high priority on graphics.

*Disclaimer: No, Martyna Zmuir, I do not have exact numbers to back up that claim/opinion, so please do not bother with the multi-font/multi-color rant asking for them.
*snickers*

Actually, I agree with you about graphics. They do matter.

Multi-font is my Word being temperamental with the editing... It likes Calibri regardless of what I tell it. Multi-color? Me? Not so much.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*snickers*

Actually, I agree with you about graphics. They do matter.

Multi-font is my Word being temperamental with the editing... I likes Calibri regardless of what I tell it. Multi-color? Me? Not so much.

I'm running 2 GTX 470s... and I play UO and online poker o_O just kinda cool to have when I get my random EVE kick I suppose.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is pretty obvious that the video is meant to be a spin job, aimed at quelling the backlash that will follow the announcement. It will fail however. The people that want a classic shard don't want the current game plus a video full of excuses...they want a classic shard. When they don't get it, accounts will be cancelled.

*Disclaimer: No, Martyna Zmuir, I do not have exact numbers as to how many people will actually cancel their accounts, so please do not launch the multi-font/multi-color rant asking for them.
Love your thinly veiled personal attacks.. They bring out the red in your eyes.

Here's a notion though... Since you are resigned to the fact of classic shard crusade failure, why don't you cancel your accounts, make 2nd BIG thread about it, then do something novel... Stop. Posting.

Yeah, people who leave things, quit clubs.. etc.. Generally move on with their lives and stop harassing the people who DO still enjoy those things. The people here still enjoy UO. You inject the same old tired things in to every thread you post in.

We are over you now.

Thank you.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The people here still enjoy UO.
not to butt in, but i really don't enjoy UO. I loiter on my island everyday sorting BODs, and I stand at the Tower seeing if anyone comes by... heh, I'm lame. But as i said a long time ago, I'm only here cause I still have hope for UO and projects like the Ls Mage tower/s

kk, I'll get o out of your two ways now ;)

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You made a rather blanket statement. You may have meant what you said above, but its not what you actually stated. You 'work' for Stratics, I 'worked' for Stratics. We both know the rather lock-step mentality being employed here. Just phrase things more carefuly in the future.

point well taken sir. and yes, I meant the morons are in fact included in the other people. Just like someone would say "the freaks come out at night" well, you would only know that if you yourself was out at night right? but you in no means are implying you're a freak, or that 100% of said people outside at dark are freaks.
And see, this is why I mentioned RoC Rule B. Thinly veiled as it is, that IS a personal attack. Please, stop now before a mod is shamed enough to actually do their job.

Sorry, never once spoke to them. so I can't claim to know much.
See, you don't actually have to personally talk to someone to think their contributions to the game were admirable. It definately helps, yes, but it isn't mandatory.

Draconi posted a lot when he was a Dev, and even posts still today. That kind of community involvement is almost completely lacking from this Dev Team. If there isn't something obviously wrong, or some cutsey comment to be made, they (mostly Cal) rarely post. The lone exception to this appears to be Logrus.

I spoke to Mesanna everyday for a while, but it wasn't until her and I sat down in game and spoke for a while that I was able to form an opinion of her (she BTW is the best person for UO in many many years... IMHO). Same goes for my opinions on people like Garriott and Starr.
I've spoken to Mesanna on numerous occasions, and I agree that she is a definate bright spot in the Dev Team. She spent over an hour trying to fix my character one morning (I couldn't do the Hag quest for some reason), and I have seen her MANY times at GL events.

Her kind of interaction need to be encouraged. It is PR GOLD.

Yes I know the name Draconi, I know what was happening at the time, but I had no clue about the person behind the name other than random posts I read. Not enough for me to form an opinion of respect.

think of Sunsword, when Chilton ditched UO for WoW, it seemed as if AoS was the child of Sunsword, when it wasn't. Just happened Chilton left before it all went live. So Sunsword had to appear hyped about it (when Sunsword didn't like it).

Now from the outside it would have seemed Sunsword created AoS and was excited to see it go live. Yet had you sat down with them (as people did later) you would have found out it was not the case at all.
I'm not saying AoS was the right way for UO to go. But it was the way it went. Whining about it (as a player) eight years later is just silly. It happened. Eight. Years. Ago. Time to get over it. This is the whole "Don't cry over spilled milk..." thing. Not all of us like it, but reality is what it is. Adapt.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

you have to attack the person instead of the argument.
A tactic employed by you often.

Pot, mett Kettle...again.

Yes, because people who didn't like PvP were lining up to be your personal victims, right? They enjoyed being ganked, dry looted, then rez killed?
Not by me they didn't. You obviously have me confused with someone else. I am not sure if you are familiar with the concept of an anti-PK or not, so I will ignore your slander of my past.

Why you cannot comprehend such a simple fact eludes me. Thus Trammel. Fel became PvP only, and the majority of players migrated there. Yes, PvP in Fel still existed, but your prey were gone. Wolves v wolves obviously isn't your style.
Once again, you confuse me with someone else. I never sought innocents to kill. Apparently you have not read many of my 3000+ posts here. That is understandable, it is an awful lot of material to go through, and in this day and age, who can expect someone to actually bring facts to the table?

You've played UO recently?
Define recent.

Do you HONESTLY believe they are capable of creating, testing, fixing, retesting (etc), a rule set without the regular production shards floundering?[/quote]

You mean it isn't floundering now?

If you think that the rest of us, who aren't foaming at the mouth for a classic shard, are willing to wait while your dream shard is created you're patently delusional.
I will consider that a "personal attack" and report it as such. If we (Classic Shard supporters) are not allowed to employ personal attacks against other posters here, then you should not be able to either.

What you "lost" was 8-10 years ago, depending on your definition. Get. Over. It. Its not coming back how you want it, no matter how much fist raising and mournful cries to the heavens you produce.
I agree...hence why I have given up asking for it. That does not mean that I will sit idly by and not point out hypocrisy and personal attacks that you, and others, lauch against others here.

Thisa case of the needs of the many, outweighing the needs of the few. (YOU are the few, FYI)
Last I checked...the entire population of UO was "the few"...comparatively speaking.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Multi-color? Me? Not so much
Well, you are correct, what appears on the screen is indeed black (the default color)...however, your posts are rife with COLOR tags. Don't shoot the messenger here...just letting you know what you are posting, "hun".

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying AoS was the right way for UO to go. But it was the way it went. Whining about it (as a player) eight years later is just silly. It happened. Eight. Years. Ago. Time to get over it. This is the whole "Don't cry over spilled milk..." thing. Not all of us like it, but reality is what it is. Adapt.
I already vented about AoS in this thread, my entire point there was to say I don't judge a Dev by their words on 'official' posts. Because had I done so with Sunsword, I woulda hated them.

Was using that as an example on why I do not give my personal opinions on Draconi ;)

As for Mesanna, yeah she actually cares about UO, it's not just a job to her. Her efforts alone caused me to reopen a few UO accounts (to hold homes).

Now considering I'm a die hard classic shard fan, who hates AoS, doesn't do much of anything in UO because I do not like it... if she can get me to open a few more accounts... That's saying something about her awesomeness haha.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

why don't you cancel your accounts
Already done.

make 2nd BIG thread about it
Not necessary.

then do something novel... Stop. Posting.
I have the right to post here as long as the forum management and owners allow to do so. I have told you this many times, yet you seem incapable of grasping the concept. Remember, you always have the option of not replying to, or reading, my posts. However, you DO NOT have the option of preventing me from posting here.

stop harassing the people who DO still enjoy those things.
First you accuse me of being a PK, now you are accusing me of harassment. I am being to feel that this has turned into yet another "personal attack"...and I will report it as such.

The people here still enjoy UO.
Some of them do. Some do not.

We are over you now.
You have suddenly become the collective voice of Stratics? I'd like to see credentials please.

If you indeed own, manage, or moderate this forum...please, feel free to ban me.

Thank you.
Oh, no...Thank you.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not to butt in, but i really don't enjoy UO.
You're being one of the LS News Reporters makes that statement all the more unfortunate.

Granted, I can't actually find a post by you as a reporter in the last two months... Or even anything obviously attributed to you since your introductory post in June 2010, but that may be due to the odd way some LS news stories seem to get posted to the boards - RSS instead of by the reporter. *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.