• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Producer's Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It’s been some time since we brought you and update so here’s the micro-version of our current plans.

Valentine’s Day has arrived in Sosaria and our videotape for the yearly update is at last complete. We had some interruptions with weather, vacations, and updating live production servers but the team is up to some really awesome stuff.

In the queue are:

• Valentine’s Day – Bear Delivery!
  • Price Drops for the UOGamecodes store (to include 6 month game time discounts) for the end of February
  • Virtue Bane Story Arc
  • Finding a local host for Oceania
  • Restoring Magincia
The video tape will cover:

The verdict on the classic shard, how we plan to grow the game, updates for the Enhanced Client, and finally our plan for increased pace for arcs, updates, storytelling and connecting with the community over the next 10 months.

When?

The arc for Virtue Bane should be within the next few days, with a completion at the end of March culminating in the Restoration of Magincia.

Please note that the events of the next few days are a transition period toward the Restoration of Magincia. The events have been orchestrated for the past several months, please respect the Event Moderators during what likely to be very crowded participation and most importantly, have a great time!

More...

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You know what I love most about this post...

the Uo Herald News's mood is "Shocked"

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Is hope of another booster a pipe dream at this point?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I told you they had good reasons for the tardyness of their replys.

We forget they have alot on their plate in working to keep our game up and running.

Be patient kiddo's its coming....

covert

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is hope of another booster a pipe dream at this point?
I'd rather them fix up things with the current booster and tackle the large amount of issues with the EC before moving on to another booster.

I'm hopeful that this is their plan because I really don't think they can pull off two boosters a year unless they really ramp it up.

C

Cal_Mythic

Addendum:

For the Oceania shard. We have some servers identified for the shard and are currently testing security and pingtimes.

For the Video: The devs are done shooting but PR has to put their STINK on it. They wanted extra game footage and stuff.

That is all.

C

Cal_Mythic

I'd rather them fix up things with the current booster and tackle the large amount of issues with the EC before moving on to another booster.

I'm hopeful that this is their plan because I really don't think they can pull off two boosters a year unless they really ramp it up.
Bless you and yours. :)

Yeah we are gonna tackle EC bigtime this year. Derek will address that in the video.

- C

J

James_Mythic

Absolutely our focus this cycle is to improve the existing game (which also means progressing existing story lines). We like to share information we have a level of certainty on to prevent misinformation and confusion as features and changes come and go.

You'll see that the team is quite passionate about the upcoming months and focused on improving the game for everyone in the upcoming video.

Thanks all :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be interesting to see how the team handles events and restores Magincia on the shards that lack an EM presence.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice! Or at least very interesting. I guess waiting can happen for just a bit longer.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Bless you and yours. :)

Yeah we are gonna tackle EC bigtime this year. Derek will address that in the video.

- C
Veeery encouraging. Dermott, are you reading?

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I really like the idea of lowered subscription costs... will this also lower subscriptions for those who pay with a credit card via the manager?... I just see uogamecodes is only listed?

C

canary

We forget they have alot on their plate in working to keep our game up and running.

Tardiness.

And the excuses were lame, so you are wrong.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if the store has codes for less, why would you keep an open sub again?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The verdict on the classic shard???

Ok, now I have a reason to really want this video to be finish. Very curious on their verdict, as are many other people I would assume.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Absolutely our focus this cycle is to improve the existing game (which also means progressing existing story lines). We like to share information we have a level of certainty on to prevent misinformation and confusion as features and changes come and go.

You'll see that the team is quite passionate about the upcoming months and focused on improving the game for everyone in the upcoming video.

Goody! So I can count on Crimson Dyes AND thongs this year! WOOT!

Seriously, thanks for the update guys. Looking forward to the whole she-bang when available.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Kiddos?
Condescending much?

You don't feel people deserve communication and updates?

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The latest 4.0.12.1 client patch for ec, is it released to address the crashing to desktop issues?

H

Hanokh1967

Addendum:

For the Oceania shard. We have some servers identified for the shard and are currently testing security and pingtimes.

For the Video: The devs are done shooting but PR has to put their STINK on it. They wanted extra game footage and stuff.

That is all.
How many more months will that take? I have already cancelled all but one account and it is not going to last past this month the way this mystery video is being dangled in front of the paying customer. I guess you are trying to be humorous, but patience is wearing thin around here.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The video tape will cover:
Good thing I still have a working VCR. Now I just need to find somewhere from which to get this elusive tape.

Are all the topics referenced in the news update covered in the video, or just the items listed under The video tape will cover? Wasn't the Magincia rebuild in the queue in January 2010 as well?

B

Beastmaster

We like to share information we have a level of certainty on to prevent misinformation and confusion as features and changes come and go.
There in lies the rub James and Cal. I think most players would like to think we have some input into things before they get to the point where you guys have reached your comfortable "level of certainty" regarding features and changes.

C

canary

Kiddos?
Condescending much?

She's too busy playing her 53 accounts or writing about the awesome 6 WHOLE people in Luna to care about communication.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Kiddos?
Condescending much?

I wouldn't take it that way. When typing, as in email, the true intent of what someone says is often lost because you can't hear the person's voice, tone, or see their facial expression. With friends, I frequently use the term "kiddo" in a very affectionate way. I have no doubt that was how Lady Storm used the word... with affection for fellow players on this forum.

Peace.

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ooooo Siege... Ooooo Siege, I do pray thee get a little love one day....

/cries

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The verdict on the classic shard???

Ok, now I have a reason to really want this video to be finish. Very curious on their verdict, as are many other people I would assume.
"A carrot dangler is someone who promises something—to help you out, to give you something, to introduce you to someone, or whatever—and never comes through. When you try to collect on the promise, there is always some reason why they can't give it to you right then, though they tell you they will do it another time. But when "another time" comes along, that isn't a good time either, and so it goes, until you give up on that carrot, and then they start to dangle another carrot."

I'm guessing they want to see how the launch of the a NEW Classic freeshard goes today, and respond accordingly. Anyway it baffles me why there is even any interest to PAY to play a Classic shard when you can play one NOW for FREE.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firstly, thank you for releasing a comprehensive statement that shows you are aware of most of the dominant issues that have been discussed on Stratics recently; I'm not sure everyone is going to like every answer they will get, but at least it's obvious you are listening, and do intend to respond.

My own main concern is that it seems that the rebuilding of Magincia is more or less set in stone; that's a shame, I think many of us were hoping it would be something we could technically fail to achieve. It may be too late for this arc, but I believe the Dev team should take into consideration for future arcs that people prefer to see in game direct influence from their actions; it not just makes them feel more engaged (and side steps the issues of being led by the nose through what can be perceived as quite poor fiction) but gives them a wider variety of gameplay experiences too. If we can't at least save Magincia, let us have something which remains to indicate what we did achieve... make those Bells of Courage permanent, and permanently red if that town was ever lost, for instance.

W

Woodsman

Ooooo Siege... Ooooo Siege, I do pray thee get a little love one day....

/cries
I hope so as well. The thing about a classic shard that bothers me most is that it will most likely draw existing players to it, which will harm other shards. I'd rather they take the resources necessary for a classic shard and put them towards improving Siege and Mugen.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Realize please that long moments of silence from the dev team does not bode well for this player base.
We started this game with the guy who created it actually playing the game with us, asking our opinions and giving us updates.
Slowly over the years the communication went down and since the Mythic pick-up we are starved for not only communication, but discussion.

This game has lasted as long as it has not only because of player loyalty and attachment to our in-game characters, but because we have always felt like "part of the team".
Take that away and you have a lot of folks with doomsday predictions and unhappy posts. Unhappy players posting take away from new players thinking about playing as well as old players deciding to come back... or not.

From a global standpoint, the more communication the better. For everyone.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about making saltpeter more available? Each cannon shot requires 40 saltpeter at the 30% failure rate, or 32 if you have found a +27 Alchemy talisman.

32 saltpeter at 290 gold each works out to 9,280 gold a shot, 185,600 gold per 20 shot scuttling. A little ridiculous don't you think when fighting ship to ship was the Big Thing(tm) of the High Seas Booster?

There are some giga-mega-billionaires in this game, I'm not one of them, nor are nearly all of your paying customers. Lighten up a bit and make it far cheaper per shot to enjoy the main feature of High Seas.

Mining isn't working has a source. With a 1260 luck suit boosted to 1810 luck for the first hour, you can get enough saltpeter for 25 to 35 heavy cannon shots in three hours mining along the Minoc coast where the 'don't leave your ship here' signs are at. Mining in dungeons hasn't produced any niter deposits.

The experience of the High Seas booster isn't likely to do sales of the next booster any good. Something to consider people.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to be mean or nasty, but that was the least informitive update I have ever seen. Everything mentioned, with the exception of a uogamecodes discount, people were already aware of, and have been talking about for months. Intact the thing that most people want, an eta on the release if the video wasn't even stated. I guess I will keep on waiting for "mid January".

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"A carrot dangler is someone who promises something—to help you out, to give you something, to introduce you to someone, or whatever—and never comes through. When you try to collect on the promise, there is always some reason why they can't give it to you right then, though they tell you they will do it another time. But when "another time" comes along, that isn't a good time either, and so it goes, until you give up on that carrot, and then they start to dangle another carrot."

I'm guessing they want to see how the launch of the a NEW Classic freeshard goes today, and respond accordingly. Anyway it baffles me why there is even any interest to PAY to play a Classic shard when you can play one NOW for FREE.
You want to go play a free shard with someone elses idea of a classic shard with their own rules, go ahead, I don't give a rats ass what you prefer. I would rather keep with the real servers and I know I'm not alone on that. While I may not even like what it may be like I would still like to hear their verdict on whether or not they will try. In the meantime keep your free shards to yourself.

C

canary

Not to be mean or nasty, but that was the least informitive update I have ever seen. Everything mentioned, with the exception of a uogamecodes discount, people were already aware of, and have been talking about for months. Intact the thing that most people want, an eta on the release if the video wasn't even stated. I guess I will keep on waiting for "mid January".
Agreed. My issue with all this is STILL no video (really?) and the update we are given is kinda a 'well, yeah, we already know' kinda deal.

A notice of the video's lateness when it was due would have been the professional and courteous thing for people who pay others salaries to play this game. But no, the subscribers have been treated to silence, and as a company that is based on customer service and satisfaction this kind of thing has been inexcusable.

I keep hearing how they know they drop the communication ball. Well... FIX IT ALREADY. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that you guys keep messing up, acknowledging it and then doing nothing to make it better. That's just poor service all around, and if you lose subscribers (and your jobs) over it you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Personally, I'm down to one account now. I'm just holding it as it has always been my 'prime' and deciding if UO and its poorly performing team are even worthy of a pitiful 9.99 a month.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If the video is complete, then where is it?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the video is complete, then where is it?
Read the posts by the other devs in this thread. They said that PR wants to put more stuff into the video even though the devs finished it. Post 9

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice....another delay... so, in other words, we might see it next week if we are lucky?

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. My issue with all this is STILL no video (really?) and the update we are given is kinda a 'well, yeah, we already know' kinda deal.

A notice of the video's lateness when it was due would have been the professional and courteous thing for people who pay others salaries to play this game. But no, the subscribers have been treated to silence, and as a company that is based on customer service and satisfaction this kind of thing has been inexcusable.

I keep hearing how they know they drop the communication ball. Well... FIX IT ALREADY. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that you guys keep messing up, acknowledging it and then doing nothing to make it better. That's just poor service all around, and if you lose subscribers (and your jobs) over it you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Personally, I'm down to one account now. I'm just holding it as it has always been my 'prime' and deciding if UO and its poorly performing team are even worthy of a pitiful 9.99 a month.
Current UO 'leadership' simply does not respect their customers, which is highlighted by the 3 broken commitments/promises in the last 2 months. I can understand one delay, but three???? That tells you all you need to know about current UO 'leadership', and what they think of their customers.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Addendum:

That is all.
*Hummms* If I could turn back time ...

Nice one ...
any "stinkiness" ... is obviously PRs fault ...

smooooooooth ...

'smatter? PR having trouble capturing some Sterling "ingame footage" ?

Have they tried a trial account?
They "could" just rip and sample from YOUTUBE ...
Need the "software"? Signature and Avatar Help - Stratics Forums <<< probably could give some tips and or tricks ...

*shrugs*
Link the RAW footage ...

WE ARE GONNA EDIT IT ANYWAY ... :thumbsup:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I'll have to admit I lost a good bit of respect for Cal on this one. Previously, I enjoyed and respected the way he did and handled things. With this video update thing and the lack of communication.... disappointed...but that really doesn't quite sum it up.... but can't come up with a better word atm.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are quite right in my use of "kiddo" as an afectionate way of saying friend. I call EVERYONE kiddo... hehe Remember to be a kid at heart.

I do care we got 6 people in Luna also that I see more players running around what many here on the forums have called "dead" shards. New or old more players is the key.

Canary, Cal and the dev have alot to contend with. You try juggling the full workload of the typical office. I have. Its no picnic beleave you me. Things dont get done on thier own and with what has been going on weather and hollidays and vacations added in the mix I find it hard to be angry for their speed. And Murphy dosnt help.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*shrugs* Maybe the fact PR dept wants a pass at the video is a good thing. We will see.

N

Naisikras

You know... missed deadlines and broken promises are one thing. Yea it's annoying, but understandable. Even if they missed the deadline an additional THREE more times I could still understand that...

What I DON'T understand is their lack of communication, just a simple, hey we miscalculated, it's gonna be another couple weeks would have made a HUGE difference.

The fact that they just kept us in the dark shows what kind of respect they have for us. Kinda like ending relationships....

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are quite right in my use of "kiddo" as an afectionate way of saying friend. I call EVERYONE kiddo... hehe Remember to be a kid at heart.

I do care we got 6 people in Luna also that I see more players running around what many here on the forums have called "dead" shards. New or old more players is the key.

Canary, Cal and the dev have alot to contend with. You try juggling the full workload of the typical office. I have. Its no picnic beleave you me. Things dont get done on thier own and with what has been going on weather and hollidays and vacations added in the mix I find it hard to be angry for their speed. And Murphy dosnt help.
You do understand that other companies (as in, just about all) manage to still get **** done on time? Or if not, they at least COMMUNICATE about not being able to get something done, with an explanation why and a new ETA, and they tend to STICK to that?

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Going to have to agree completely here. After a delay of 1.5 months now, their excuse that PR wants "game play" footage is beyond lame.

Has PR even seen UO played before? If so, they wouldn't really want it displayed for any phantom "potential subscribers" to see the antiquated hot mess that is UO. Furthermore, taking game play footage takes all of a few minutes, using any number of recording programs - many of which the players have been using for months. *pets Fraps*

This little gem of an announcement should have been released the last time their self-imposed deadline was IGNORED. But, as usual, the rabid fanboi and pom-pom waving sheeple wil lap it up, conveniently forgetting about all the anxiety and ill-will generated by Mythic's total lack of professionalism and customer service.

I hope UO's future is as bright as cal's spin doctoring implies, something needs to break the dark age we're in...

C

canary

Err... I supervise 18 assisted living homes and essentially 60 staff. I do on call rotations as part of my job. I answer to staff, my clients, their families or guardians, and all county and federal agencies involved. I often come into my office with up to 20 (or more) voice messages. Daily. And let's not forget the emails.

And guess what, kiddo? I am required to promptly reply to everyone. And I do.

So, kiddo? Please spare me your speech, because I do it every day, and I do it WELL.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't forget that in terms of weather, this has been the crappiest winter since the late 70s.

There literally HAVE been delays due to weather (as in employees were told to stay home) for Mythic, and quite a few other companies, this year. I actually got to SEE where they are located in VA, and I find it extremely unlikely that their street was plowed within 24 hours of the snowfall, if that soon. (plus, their parking lot slopes up to the door - it would have to be plowed and salted just for it to be usable).

Even EA's Texas office probably had snow days this year (in a month where the typical average temps are in the 50s).

Just because some of you live in a basement somewhere and never leave to see the weather, doesn't mean that the Devs or rest of us in the Eastern US haven't had to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.