• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Updated Publish 81 on TC1

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
50% DCI penalty is plenty if you allow a 70 overcap. That leaves 35dci which should, in theory, be good enough to live with.
Agreed do this and scrap refinements and that whole 95% dci cap. Seems like a quick and simple solution to me! Sadly it does seem that they are probably going to insist that refinements go into this patch. I donlt get why it can;t wait though. Wait until it is a good working system that doesn;t introduce things that inbalance the game. This publish has enough going into it without adding yet another new crafting system.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This publish has enough going into it without adding yet another new crafting system.
Exactly, and this system needs ripped apart and rebranded before it is nice. i don't like the idea of people having up to 95 dci or overcapped resists, let alone anything else they could come up with for overcapping. lmc was about the only thing i think that could of been overcapped without a grave consequence.

i just really wish they'd leave dci/hld alone or a very light, very small change to hld. dci and resists are delicate things that can have great effects in pvp. As someone said, if 5% hci was overpowered on gargoyles, why does it seem ok to allow more than 45 dci? with everyone running hpr and damage eater stuff, they don't need more suit fortifications.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hrmm, HLA/HLD... a mage wouldn't use neither... so.. what are you saying?
I meant to say, HLA is a lot harder to pick up for a mage, than HLD is to pick up on another class.
But even if a mage did make the sacrifice to pick up HLA, it would rarely go off, because the mage doesn't have the HCI to actually HIT the person they are fighting.

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All fine and dandy changes, resist balancing was long overdue, but...

There's still a huge problem with metal, leather, and dragon scale in that all they give you is resists, and especially with the above proposed changes getting to resist cap is super easy, so why would anyone bother with higher level materials if you can max out your resists with the more common ones?

Those materials need properties like wood... have needed them for years and years and years.

Also dragon armor... why? No penalties. Take those away. I mean compare black dragon scale to dull copper... which seems better?

Dragon scale should be something like: 3/3/3/7/0. Just to make it a little more appealing in an average setting.

I hope that is coming or there's still gonna be an imbalance.
Well from the testing I have done resist wise you still get better results with the higher level materials for the most part. Especially verite, that seemed to be the best over all. Though agapite could perhaps be better for those running vamp form. Valorite I wasn;t too impressed by the results but probably need to test it more. But my best results so far have been with a mostly verite suit with a blue dragonhelm. Took only four imbues to get all resists but cold 70 and cold was at 66 and I decided it wouldn't be worth the slot to raise cold to 70. I think with some more work and maybe adding another material it is possible I could take that down to 3 imbues. The lower level ingots worked decently but not as well. But I will probably have to experiment more with mixing ingot types for the best results.

But based on my results it does kinda feel valorite might need a little boost, I would like to see more then just resists for different ingot types but I think that is something best left for another publish.

Love them Redheads

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'll say it again and defy anyone to disagree: If some newbie rolled onto this forum and made a suggestion thread about letting people raise their DCI cap to damn near 100 and messing with HLD to compensate, they would be shouted down almost instantly. It's a completely preposterous idea.
Yep.... This Tact's dimishing returns garbage all over again.

Some overly complicated system that does absolutely nothing to make the game better. Just some overpaid developer's "brilliant" idea that has to be beaten to a pulp by all the players for months before someone in charge with half a brain finally admits it's crap and gets back to fixing real, long standing problems with the game.

Hey since you're so into balancing stuff Devs..... how's that old spreadsheet looking? You know the one that was supposedly tracking cheaters and removing them from the game? Hell removing all the Pvpers who run scripts, speeder programs and client hacks would do more to improve this game than your latest idiotic idea would ever accomplish.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Some overly complicated system that does absolutely nothing to make the game better. Just some overpaid developer's "brilliant" idea that has to be beaten to a pulp by all the players for months before someone in charge with half a brain finally admits it's crap and gets back to fixing real, long standing problems with the game.

Hey since you're so into balancing stuff Devs..... how's that old spreadsheet looking? You know the one that was supposedly tracking cheaters and removing them from the game? Hell removing all the Pvpers who run scripts, speeder programs and client hacks would do more to improve this game than your latest idiotic idea would ever accomplish.
Remove all of the pvpers who cheat in this game, and there will hardly be anyone left lol Sad, but true :(

Last edited:

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
How bad does an idea have to be that we can't even find ONE cheerleader for it? I mean, this is an MMORPG forum. Logic dictates that there should be at least one sampire in here telling all you PVP guys to STFU because secretly he's dreaming of being overpowered, right? The fact that we're not even getting that token argument is damning.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me this is, and always will be, the most important issue effecting the game that gets lip service now and then but nothing really happens

Remove all of the pvpers who cheat in this game, and there will hardly be anyone left lol Sad, but true :(
Can't say whether that is true or not but if that is the case, then so be it.

-Lore's Player

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having been in several guilds vents over the past couple of years it's kind of funny to listen to them openly discuss what scripting tools/hacks they are using. And I'll sit there and think to myself... with all this hacking and scripting going on, to me, it shows they (EA) doesn't care enough to really stop it.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How bad does an idea have to be that we can't even find ONE cheerleader for it? ...
I think there were some cheerleaders in the beginning, but they got fatigued and left. This is yet again an area where trying to balance out changes for pvp and pvm is incompatible. Think about it - the refinements have to be intended for PvM as an alternative to everyone running a sampire, right? The HLD change has no basis in PvM and had to be about those darn, evil mages running around in 70 DCI suits with HPR and eaters.

I wish they'd gone in a different direction. Scale effective DCI cap against your defensive ability. For example, at 120 wrestle or weapon you could have a 45 DCI cap (allow mage weapon here as well or you'd really see some tears here). Scale effective HCI against your tactics skill up to 45. The interesting part (too complex?) in my plan would be players with both offensive and defensive ability could blur the lines between the two such that your HCI cap would be 90 - equipped DCI, and DCI cap would be 90 - equipped HCI. This would give you the choice between stacking offensive or stacking defensive, but not getting the best of both worlds.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you mean hardly anyone left among PvPers, I have no comment.

If you mean hardly anyone left at all, then you're greatly over-estimating how many people PvP, as a proportion of the player base.

-Galen's player

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you mean hardly anyone left among PvPers, I have no comment.

If you mean hardly anyone left at all, then you're greatly over-estimating how many people PvP, as a proportion of the player base.

-Galen's player
In my experience, there is more cheating in pvm than pvp, it just gets brought to the forefront in pvp. You'd be surprised at how many people out there doing shame and styg abyss are just bots, then fill in loot cripts and heals scripts, etc.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my experience, there is more cheating in pvm than pvp, it just gets brought to the forefront in pvp. You'd be surprised at how many people out there doing shame and styg abyss are just bots, then fill in loot cripts and heals scripts, etc.

Well so much for my specifically not commenting on the Fel cheating issue.....Guess I have to address this.

:(

(I rather plainly had "not commented" out loud solely to show that there was more than one way to read the post I was replying to.)

I've always seen a comparatively low number of people that appear to be cheating at PvM, and those that seem to be typically have Fel guild tags on their names. Those that don't, way back in the day when we had a way to look up characters and see their guilds, usually had a Fel guild affiliation that just wasn't shown.

PvM isn't a competitive activity the way PvP is, hence very little incentive to cheat. However, those who participate in more-competitive activities, where there is an incentive to cheat, typically like to pretend that cheating primarily goes on in other areas.

Save, of course, when they lose a fight, in which case those who have beaten them clearly only did so because they cheated. Then we hear about it in Global Chat for 50 times longer than the fight itself actually lasted.

-Galen's player

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Think about it - the refinements have to be intended for PvM as an alternative to everyone running a sampire, right?
I don't think they thought about PVM much at all when they were designing Refinements. I think that in their rush to cram their Greatest Idea Ever down our throats, they basically went "More DCI or more resists? It's a buff for anyone if they want it!" without actually caring overmuch about whether it was balanced.

The HLD change has no basis in PvM and had to be about those darn, evil mages running around in 70 DCI suits with HPR and eaters.
Here's the thing, I don't think they nerfed PVP mages on purpose. I think PVP mages were just caught in the crossfire of the battle over Refinement. The HLD changes are clearly meant to stop a guy with 95 DCI from being nigh-unhittable in PVP and I think mages were just collateral damage.

Consider: The first few versions of Publish 81 didn't nerf mages at all. They left overcapping alone, and scaled HLD off of your DCI cap. That meant that mages could keep right on stacking 70 DCI to be HLD-proof, and only dexers who Refined their DCI caps upwards would feel an increased HLD bite.

But nobody liked that. It was weird and clunky, and created situations where Refining your armor was just a self-nerf. Several people pointed out that if raising your DCI cap just made HLD hurt you more anyway, most people probably wouldn't bother.

Well the developers weren't ramming their Greatest Idea Ever down our throats just to have us ignore it, so they changed it to what we have now. On a certain level it works. Increasing your DCI cap is no longer a self-nerf, and HLD is powerful enough to knock the guy with 95 DCI down to size. Except whoops, it ruins mages (and literally EVERYONE who doesn't Refine) in the process. Oops. Time for yet another set of changes.

If I had to guess, I'd say their next logical move is to reinstate overcapping. Then mages can go on being HLD-proof, and the dexer with a DCI cap of 95 can't possibly stack enough DCI to overcap it much anyway. Then when some of the screaming dies down a little, they'll pretend anyone actually likes the idea.

Except Refinement completely unbalances the game, PVP and PVM, for basically no reason at all. Because some developer thought we'd enjoy collecting all the widgets to do it. Because it's some developer's pet idea.

Last edited:

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My question, in all of this mess, is where is our systems designer Phoenix/Vex? Bleak and Kyronix are the ones seemingly responsible for Publish 81 and neither Phoenix nor Messana have said a word about it.
No-one asked for refinements. No-one asked for a stamina nerf. We just wanted all our armour types to be viable again. It was too much to ask.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sadly it seems like the chief lady just can't be bothered to sully herself with the likes of us. I know that people say she works hard, plays the game and interacts with the players but I fail to see the results of these actions.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'd dearly love to see Mesanna come in here and tell us "Yes we see that pretty much every single person wants Refinement gone, and our reaction to that is..."

The devs who do occasionally post in these threads are clearly in some kind of damage control radio silence mode where they point out information but don't actually discuss feedback.

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or are farming champ spawns 24-7 with their bots on dead shards. Just the fact it's gone on so long and continues to do so is disturbing.

Last edited:

Love them Redheads

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That is true......but the current cheaters who would be removed would be replaced by the multitude of people who enjoy playing games without cheaters. I also believe alot of the cheaters do so out of neccesity because they want to pvp in this game, but feel that in order to be competitive they have to run scripts and speeder programs.

btw.... I agree that there are just as many people cheating at non-pvp activities as there are pvp cheaters, if not more when you take into account more people do pvm than pvp. It's a horrible fact of UO and imo 1 of the reasons this game continues to circle the drain. There are very few people who actually set out to ruin the game, economy, pvp action, etc by cheating.... i believe most people want to play a fun and fair game, but either get sucked into it out of sheer pressure or quit.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the thing, I don't think they nerfed PVP mages on purpose. I think PVP mages were just caught in the crossfire of the battle over Refinement. The HLD changes are clearly meant to stop a guy with 95 DCI from being nigh-unhittable in PVP and I think mages were just collateral damage.
Well stated. I do not think the non-warrior consequences were completely revealed/explored until now (this round of the publish), since the initial discussions and feedback were centered on understanding a large variety of changes and getting workable systems for some. The HLD/DCI change is just one of many.

Consider: The first few versions of Publish 81 didn't nerf mages at all. They left overcapping alone, and scaled HLD off of your DCI cap. That meant that mages could keep right on stacking 70 DCI to be HLD-proof, and only dexers who Refined their DCI caps upwards would feel an increased HLD bite.

But nobody liked that. It was weird and clunky, and created situations where Refining your armor was just a self-nerf. Several people pointed out that if raising your DCI cap just made HLD hurt you more anyway, most people probably wouldn't bother.

Well the developers weren't ramming their Greatest Idea Ever down our throats just to have us ignore it, so they changed it to what we have now. On a certain level it works. Increasing your DCI cap is no longer a self-nerf, and HLD is powerful enough to knock the guy with 95 DCI down to size. Except whoops, it ruins mages (and literally EVERYONE who doesn't Refine) in the process. Oops. Time for yet another set of changes.
Excellent summary of the HLD/DCI changes for this publish. The system is now at a workable point, but just needs some fine tuning. Earlier in this thread, I gave some suggestions as to how to dial down HLD (page-3#post-2248761). Decreasing the target's HLD by 55% is too much.

If I had to guess, I'd say their next logical move is to reinstate overcapping. Then mages can go on being HLD-proof, and the dexer with a DCI cap of 95 can't possibly stack enough DCI to overcap it much anyway. Then when some of the screaming dies down a little, they'll pretend anyone actually likes the idea.

Except Refinement completely unbalances the game, PVP and PVM, for basically no reason at all. Because some developer thought we'd enjoy collecting all the widgets to do it. Because it's some developer's pet idea.
I disagree that reinstating DCI over-capping is the next logical step. DCI over-capping is responsible for the "wierd, clunky, and self-nerfing" aspects of the previous itterations of this Publish. It needs to be eliminated for ANY change to HLD to have value/usefullness and open the door for any type of DCI Armor Refinement (regardless if it is this version or another). What I expect to see (at least would like to anyways):
  • Over-capped DCI remains ignored.
  • Turn down HLD from 55% DCI reduction.
  • Turn down the DCI Cap from 95 to 75-80ish (this seems more reasonable, remember every 10 DCI equates to a -5% Chance to Hit).
  • Refinements Allowed on Medable Armors.
Regarding Refinement Crafting, I believe they still require too many items. Everytime I have logged into TC to use them, I am greeted by a bag full of items that only confuse me (and that is per armor type). I would like to think I have a good grasp on the current refinement system, so if I can get turned around by the vast qauntity of items, it is a very telling sign that it needs severe streamlining. The crafting system needs to be robust and simple, so it is easy to understand and easier to implement future types of refinements. I would rather see a system which:
  1. Allows the crafter to choose the Specific Resist Cap Lost/Gained AND its Magnitude (+/-1, 2, 3, etc).
  2. Use a common set of ingredients and require more ingredients for higher magnitudes (similar to Imbuing), to avoid the "this for leather, that for metal" confusion. Instead, the components will be based on Refinement Type (currently we only have +/- DCI Refinements, so it would only require those, the same components used for + and -).
  3. The components would be new, stackables added to the various sources listed in the publish notes.
  4. Refinement options added to the tool used to craft that type of armor. This allows the crafter to choose the Armor Type to make the refinement for, directly from the tool used to make that armor (it is intuative).
  5. Future Refinement options would require additions to the tool interface and their required materials.
Regarding Refinement Balance Issues, these may be addressed by the bullet points above and by increasing the tactical trade-off for the refinement (currently 2 DCI for 1 resist). Openning up refinement options on All types of armor will allow any template to use refinefents (voluntarily) and clear up any unintended imbalance. However, as long as there are PvM opponents which deliver 100% of a damage type, for their all of their possible attacks (e.g, Unbound EV), there will always be ways to optimize your armor to give the greatest benefit against that opponent (this is currently possible to an extent). It cannot be completly avoided in PvM, unless there are changes made to the monsters and/or their environment.

I concur with others, that the majority of the changes are good-to-go. However, I disagree that the changes to HLD, DCI, and Armor Refinements should be either abandoned or pushed back. They are almost dialed in. In principle, they will be very balancing changes once tweaked properly. Since the developers have indicated that more adjustments will be made, I will wait to review (and test) the specifics before continuing with the discussion. It is purely academic without knowing the already planned changes.

The 55% DCI penalty from HLD can provide a 10% hit chance increase to the attacker at 45 HCI vs 45 DCI. Since this can no longer be negated in Pub 81 we will be making more adjustments.
Stayin Alive,

BG

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh dear...
All my enhanced metal armour... :p

I guess I better dig out my spreadsheets tomorrow to see what will be of them after this.
Are they going to update all the old armor? I wonder about the materials too, in addition, will studded and plate gain the new LMC too?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are they going to update all the old armor? I wonder about the materials too, in addition, will studded and plate gain the new LMC too?
Based on the Character transfer, old armor doesn't receive the extra resistances added by material bonuses... They do however, receive the +1-3% LMC bonus IF they're still non-med armor pieces.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Based on the Character transfer, old armor doesn't receive the extra resistances added by material bonuses... They do however, receive the +1-3% LMC bonus IF they're still non-med armor pieces.
Okay, this isn't cool. :(
I have tons of enhanced armour that would benefit greatly from the upgraded resists. :(

I hope they fix that.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't think they thought about PVM much at all when they were designing Refinements. I think that in their rush to cram their Greatest Idea Ever down our throats, they basically went "More DCI or more resists? It's a buff for anyone if they want it!" without actually caring overmuch about whether it was balanced.

I'm the one that proposed the higher resists/dci/hci idea. But this is NOT how I had envisioned it to be at all. My proposal would make it where each piece of studded armor has the ability to raise the hci cap from 45 up by one, effectively raising it to either to 50 or 51 (with a helm) (You all saw with throwers how big of a difference 5 hci made) or the dci up by 2 effectively raising the cap to 55 (or 57 with a helm) if they actually use a metal helm (most people don't. They use mace and shields or whatever); OR on Metal pieces raise each resist by 1, raising them from 70 to 75 or 76 if they use a metal helm. THIS would be a fair trade off for the sacrifice of having medable armor or woodland magical properties. Raising the Cap to 95 or whatever is just completely asinine. If they would let dexxers with non-leather + non-woodland armor raise their dci to 55-57 instead of 90-95, THEY WONT NEED a 55% DCI Drop on the HLD affect. The old way of -25 would work JUST FINE. They can keep it the way it used to be. But, they had to do things their way, and you're right, the result is that Mages are going to be nerfed HARRRRRRRRRD.

But here's the thing, no matter HOW MUCH DCI a mage over-caps before these changes, the MOST DCI that they could finish with was 45. EXACTLY the same amount of HCI that any Dexxer or Thrower *will* have (after the changes to gargoyles of course). Outside of mages with Wrestle+Parrying, NO mage was ever really that hard to hit. And even if it was SLIGHTLY difficult for a Dexxer/Thrower to hit a mage, it was still counter-balanced by the fact that when they do hit it DISRUPTS. Sure Wrestle+Parry Mages are hard to hit. But honestly how many people play that class? There's a reason it's rarely played: Because it's a class with little or no offensive power COMPLETELY designed for Defense against Dexxers/Throwers. If you start to see them more, it's only because Dexxers/Throwers are so overpowered that the only way mages can survive is by creating their classes JUST to fight Dexxers/Throwers (as opposed to both Dexxers/Throwers and Mages). This brings me back to my argument about animal form, Wrestle+Parry mages are a *REACTIONARY RESPONSE* to a specific category of fighter; the dexxer/thrower (and a very debilitating one at that. When you decide to make your character a wrestle+parry mage, you lose TONS of potential offensive firepower, or skills that could be used against mages). Dexxers/throwers find the property space to fit in HLD (on top of their already 45 HCI) SO in response mages find the extra property space to stack DCI to 70 (on top of their already 45 DCI). EITHER WAY both parties end up with 45 HCI or 45 DCI. You can NOT POSSIBLY say (not that you specifically did, but others did) that mages have an advantage when they have JUST AS MUCH DCI as Dexxers/Throwers have HCI. If HLD is to be made stronger, than HLA should be made easier for a mage to get and use. But why do all of that, when it was fine to begin with? Just take a step back and start from publish 80. Most people thought the pvp was balanced to begin with aside from Throwers, and even though mages would cry when they died to dexxers that their class is too easy to play, no one really demanded a nerf for them. And NO ONE who is any decent at playing a dexxer/thrower thinks mages are too difficult to hit. This whole idea of DCI/HLD/and Refinements is just absurd, and they should have taken my idea for what it was worth instead of chopping it up.

...Although admittedly, even I would make some changes to my original statement. I would increase the base resists of non-woodland armor gear (as they're doing right now) with the EXCEPTION of LEATHER. Leather, does NOT need a big resist bonus. But I wouldn't give the enhanced materials the resist bonus, I'd give the pieces higher *BASE* resists, just like the gargoyle gear has higher *BASE* resists and it makes for FAR better suits. I'd also give platemail/stone armor the ability to raise the cap of each resist by 1 (or 2 and forget about the LMC bonus). After all, I would be increasing the base resists on only non-leather+non-woodland pieces; Non-leather pieces shouldn't have a bonus to LMC (negating the mana management bonus of leather) AND give higher resists than leather too. Why would I ONLY increase the resists on non-leather pieces AND give them a LMC bonus, right? it would make leather useless in comparison. I would also give Studded Leather specifically the ability to raise the HCI cap by 1, or the dci cap by 2 giving it the ability to raise HCI to 50-51 *OR* the DCI to 55-57. This would give dexxers/throwers the option to choose between leather (high mana regen), Woodland (25 hci/50dmg inc/10HPR), Plate/Stone (higher base/maximum resists), and Studded Leather (higher base resists with higher hci or dci caps) NONE OF WHICH HAVE ANY TRADE-OFFS OTHER THAN THE LOST BONUSES OF THE OTHER ARMOR TYPES. No 45 DCI for 5 of each resist Tradeoff BS. NO ONE WANTS THAT. In my proposal, each has more or less a fair tradeoff for the opportunity costs of the other armor types.

-Now one might say, "Well, won't players with the plate/stone resist bonus be too difficult to kill?"
No, 75 of each resist is significantly better than 70, but it is a FAIR TRADEOFF for the bonuses they could have gotten from other armor types. For example, by choosing plate/stone and the extra resists provided, they are SACRIFICING the 10 HPR they COULD have gotten with Bloodwood Woodland Armor.
-One might also say, "Well won't dexxers with the 5 hci/10dci bonus to cap that comes with studded gear be too powerful offensively or defensively?"
No, because a cap increase of 5-6 HCI (coupled with higher base resists) is a FAIR TRADEOFF for the 25 HCI/50di they COULD have gotten from Heartwood Woodland Armor; and a cap increase of 10-12 DCI (coupled with higher base resists) is a FAIR TRADEOFF for the +10HPR they COULD have gotten with Bloodwood Woodland Armor.

My approach would allow the devs to maintain a system of refinement (a fair trade-off for the imbue and then enhance mechanism of woodland armor) that would make the other armor types MUCH more viable (in the current proposal they STILL AREN'T), while maintaining fair and balanced gameplay. Most people don't hate the overall idea of refinement so much as the specifics. My version would give the non-mage classes a good amount of options of what to do with their gear and their templates, and it would provide for some unique play styles and game experiences in PvP AND PvM. The difference between armor types in my proposal is like the difference between weapons that the Ninja turtles use. Right now they can only use Kendo Sticks and Katanas. I'm giving them the option to also use Nunchucks and Sai. Each has his it's own little advantages, none are too "overpowered" and everybody has their preferences and favorites. The current approach is like giving one group of people a gun, and then giving members of that same group the option to possess a bullet-proof vest, but under the condition that they are first shot in the leg, while everyone else has to use either a Kendo stick or a Katana. It's Crazy. Please heed my words. As I said, my approach is balanced, fair, simple, and overall fun. Who knows, it MIGHT even bring some people back to the game? I doubt the current one will...

Last edited:

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry to say, but there's not going to be any "learning of the timing", because you can cast it as you run. So essentially people are going to just mash the button a million times over while they run. And without FC it's going to be sloooooow as hell. Animal Form being interrupt-able, without FC is far too easy to disrupt. Especially considering most of the time someone gets dismounted, it's going to be against several people. Anyone decent player will cast low circle/use a fast weapon (with fireball) and easily keep someone from getting form off. If you don't believe me, actually test it.
I pointed out the weaknesses, and I kill people before they can form, or even after they have formed, all of the time. Animal Form is *NOT* a get out of jail free card. If you dismount someone with a group, they CAN'T remount for a good 10 seconds or so. More

than enough time for a small group to get a quick dump off. If you can't kill someone before they have animal formed, you need to

consider the possibility that you are just a bad player/group. Even once they do form, it is like fighting a person who can't do

anything but chug/heal stone. If you follow that person (which is just as easy as following someone mounted), eventually they are going to un-form to attempt to remount. When considering whether or not Animal Form is overpowered, consider how many people use animal form, and consider how many people *still* dismount regardless. You have people who commit whole templates just for the sake of dismounting. When you look at how often dismounts occur, you might wonder why anyone even bothers to play a template -without- Ninja. The reason? Animal Form is very much beatable. As a matter of fact, now with the Animal Form, you're going to have EVEN MORE people looking to dismount on a regular basis

And in regards to the DCI Nerf/HLD Buff, HLD is not "pretty much uselees." I'd say at LEAST half of mages don't actually have 70 dci. If you actually ask people, and count their DCI, most people have 60-70, while some run with even less than 60 and get facerolled. Only maybe a third of all mage suits actually have 70 dci. If it really was THAT easy, every mage would have 70. I know I would on all of my characters, although unfortunately, i usually have to settle for 60-65. And there's a reason mages stack so much dci in comparison to the other classes. Do you want to know why? Because mage spells are *INTERRUPTABLE.* See that's the one major advantage the other classes have over mages. The damage output of Throwers/Dexxers is so much higher than mages, simply because mages are *interruptable*. Sure, you might actually miss a mage with 70 dci 2-3 hits in a row, but that mage is only going to get two big spells off in that time -tops. When you actually ARE hitting them (especially with hit fireball), there's VERY little that a mage can actually do.
If you were take a thrower/dexxer (lets abbreviate to TD), and a mage, and have them duel. Lets take away the possibility of potions, being that mages and TD can both use them. Now of course the TD wont hit the mage every time, but then again, every time he does, the mage will be interrupted if casting, and maybe even after if hit fireball hits. The mage will do damage when the TD misses, and the TD will do damage when he doesn't miss. If the mage wants to heal, he needs to stop casting offensive spells, to cast defensive spells, and he's probably going to have to, because if he keeps doing offensive damage, his health is going to get low faster than the TD, because the TD (assuming he has another way of healing) CAN heal while he's doing damage... and lets be honest, MOST classes that aren't mages have at least one other way of healing other than pots. The TD has an advantage (even excluding pots) defensively because like I said, the TD can DISRUPT the mage while the TD heals himself. Overall, if you were to add up the total damage done and healed over the course of the fight, the mage is going to do a LOT less than the TD. (Excluding Stealthers, their primary defense in the field are smokebombs and a ton of running) The TD is SUPPOSED to miss a few hits to allow the mage to do damage. As it stands, a mage is at a -MAJOR- disadvantage with anything less than 70 dci. -If you Nerf DCI, or buff HLD and make it where the thrower/dexxer/stealther can hit the mage more often than they ALREADY can, it is severely going to nerf mages harder than *ANY* other nerf in this publish-. Don't believe me? Try rolling a mage with 55 dci right now and see how you get wtfacerolled by ANY decent dexxer/thrower/stealther in the game. As the game stands, your DCI will drop to about the same amount with 55 dci as to where it's going to drop at 70 dci after the update (about 30 dci). If TDS hit mages even more than they do know, it is going to limit the mages casting window even MORE, severely hampering their total Damage and Healing output. But just because 70 DCI might not be too difficult to get, doesn't necessarily mean that it "unbalances" pvp.
Throwers/dexxers/stealthers have an advantage in the example that I gave, and in the field it's even worse. In the field Throwers/Dexxers/and Stealthers can all do damage while running, as well as heal while running, where as mages can not (excluding pots which other classes have as well). Of course mages have the ranged advantage that throwers have, but then again, they need to stop to cast, so that advantage is nullified (especially by abilities like dismount, death strike, nerve strike). Now of course every class has it's perks, for example throwers make for good dismounters, stealthers have deathstrike and nerve strike, and mages have things like fields and other spells; But I'm excluding all of that and comparing the classes at the fundamental manner in which they fight.
Btw, I doubt that a mage having parry alone is going to mean that you miss them 6-7 times in a row on a regular basis. And besides, just because one class might be very difficult for you to hit, does not mean that the dci of EVERY class should be severely nerfed.

Mook Chessy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You kind of left out a few things...Dexxie can't summon a RC or deamon...that fact alone makes your post useless IMO

Not to mention a sdi Mage in protect can wreck a thrower if you miss ...40 fs that never misses three spell combo does 120 easy

You must be a subpar Mage

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You kind of left out a few things...Dexxie can't summon a RC or deamon...that fact alone makes your post useless IMO

Not to mention a sdi Mage in protect can wreck a thrower if you miss ...40 fs that never misses three spell combo does 120 easy

You must be a subpar Mage
Yes, but just like dismount, there's a counter to RC or demons. Know what it is? Hit Dispel. You could say mages have a lot of things the other classes don't, and you'd be right of course. But just like animal form is a good way to counter a dismount, hit dispel is a good way to counter summons. And NO mage in protection should be able to kill you, even with 40 sdi. Not only can you mortal and para spam them, and defensively all you have to do is *RUN* and see precisely how hard it is for them to keep up, while damaging you. You must be a subpar non-mage. at least if you die to mages in protection. if you'd like to test your thesis, we can duel/field fight on chessy(?), and I'll show you exactly how sub-par I am :). But somehow I doubt that will do little to prove the validity of my argument

Last edited:

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im confused..... if you have 95 defense cap u can only have 65 in each resist? or 76 each resist and 0 defense?and thats dexer only?who would use that?maybe pvm ..... im prolly missing somethin

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im confused..... if you have 95 defense cap u can only have 65 in each resist? or 76 each resist and 0 defense?and thats dexer only?who would use that?maybe pvm ..... im prolly missing somethin
right, only pvm would someone go to the extreme, but you would probably see some of it in pvp and when you did it would be confusing. I would imagine you would see people roaming around a little with 50-60 dci caps with little resist loss, which complicates things. As someone mentioned, if 50hci was op on a thrower, so is this.

I sure hope this comes soon and they've made some adjustments based on feedback, and not some other source.

Last edited:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could see myself abusing the increased DCI for resist penalties on my parry mages.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We just wanted all our armor types to be viable again. It was too much to ask.
I agree....

Personally at this point I'm in favor of dropping the entire stamina idea, refinishing idea and doing something very simple.

Following mods are enhancement (6th property)
----------- Bone ----------
Bone = random) 10% splinter weapon / 10% hit physical / etc.

----------- Leather -----------
Spined = (random) 40 Luck / 5 SDI
Hornded = (random) 3 Casting focus / 5 SDI
Barbed = (random) 1 FC / 1 FCR

------------ Metal ------------
Dull = random) damage increase / 5 SSI
Shadow = (random) +5 ninja related skills
Copper = (random) +5 bushido related skills
Bronze = (random) 10% hit fireball / 10% hit lighting,
Golden = (random) 40 luck / 5 SSI
Agapite = (random) +5 weapon related skills
Verite = (random) 5 HLA / 5 HLD
Valorite = (random) 5 HCI / 5 DCI
-----------

Random roll between each property but fixed values. If you don't like random then fine but at least add a enhance mod for each material type. Just make it so metal mods are related to dexer stuff. Easy and it fits the birthday party statement about making all armor usable.

Make sure to up the uses of the forge metal tools in the UO online store to drum up revenue and get you guys paid.

Spell Breaker

Last edited:

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the record I use a pure ninja to PK lonely spawners.

My assault - dismount, death strike, disarm and shrunken
My defense - disarm, smoke bomb, wolf form, shadow jump
My heal - hpr suit, dog and cat form

Needless to say my suit and templet is packed tight. As a pure ninja I'm not a fan of the animal form changes.

Spell Breaker

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree....

Personally at this point I'm in favor of dropping the entire stamina idea, refinishing idea and doing something very simple.

Following mods are enhancement (6th property)
----------- Bone ----------
Bone = random) 10% splinter weapon / 10% hit physical / etc.

----------- Leather -----------
Spined = (random) 40 Luck / 5 SDI
Hornded = (random) 3 Casting focus / 5 SDI
Barbed = (random) 1 FC / 1 FCR

------------ Metal ------------
Dull = random) damage increase / 5 SSI
Shadow = (random) +5 ninja related skills
Copper = (random) +5 bushido related skills
Bronze = (random) 10% hit fireball / 10% hit lighting,
Golden = (random) 40 luck / 5 SSI
Agapite = (random) +5 weapon related skills
Verite = (random) 5 HLA / 5 HLD
Valorite = (random) 5 HCI / 5 DCI
-----------

Random roll between each property but fixed values. If you don't like random then fine but at least add a enhance mod for each material type. Just make it so metal mods are related to dexer stuff. Easy and it fits the birthday party statement about making all armor usable.

Make sure to up the uses of the forge metal tools in the UO online store to drum up revenue and get you guys paid.

Spell Breaker
The crappy part is... even that would be sort of overpowered. While it seems to make sense, running hit anything, extra mods, etc, just seems sort of overpowered somewhere along the line. the more i look at it, it's like what they did with stam reduction and lmc is about the most sensible option out there that doesn't hurt current setups, isn't overpowered, and provides solid possibilities for exchanging medable for non-med when it makes sense for warrior classes.

Woodland gets some of those properties, but its trade off is now "light stam reduction" and "light lmc bonus". Giving out the bonuses they have, and tossing out the idea of filling out ssi, SDI, hit spells, hld, fci/fcr, etc should scare everybody...

my mage would be a machine with fc/fcr and sdi properties added for free to armor, and dexers with hit spells, hld, ssi, or splinter on armor? o..mm..ggg

Last edited:

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still love the idea.

However if that is to crazy, lets go even simpler. Have all metal ingots match the random Heartwood mods. This would give human warriors the same options as the beloved elfs.

That certainly can not be over powered cuz its already in use for Heartwood. Then we can drop the stamina thing.

Thanks for reminding me drop the LMC increase cap thing too... if metal and wood have the same enhancement mods then wood would still be better since it has better lmc increase cap.

Spell Breaker

Last edited:

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
. the more i look at it, it's like what they did with stam reduction and lmc is about the most sensible option out there that doesn't hurt current setups,
If they never touched stamina leech they wouldn't have to add stamina reduction... that is ridiculous to add something to cancel it out only to create an illusion... that is like raising the prices 35% in your store only to tell everyone this weekend they will get 30% off at your store wide sale.

Over complexity.... Keep it simple and keep it honest....

@Certic - Thanks for your feedback by the way!

Spell Breaker

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The crappy part is... even that would be sort of overpowered. While it seems to make sense, running hit anything, extra mods, etc, just seems sort of overpowered somewhere along the line. the more i look at it, it's like what they did with stam reduction and lmc is about the most sensible option out there that doesn't hurt current setups, isn't overpowered, and provides solid possibilities for exchanging medable for non-med when it makes sense for warrior classes.

Woodland gets some of those properties, but its trade off is now "light stam reduction" and "light lmc bonus". Giving out the bonuses they have, and tossing out the idea of filling out ssi, SDI, hit spells, hld, fci/fcr, etc should scare everybody...

my mage would be a machine with fc/fcr and sdi properties added for free to armor, and dexers with hit spells, hld, ssi, or splinter on armor? o..mm..ggg
Yeah I agree that what they have on test now for armor is probably the best or one of the best solutions over all. I think they just need to scrap refinements for now. Because that seems to be causing a lot of issues.
I am all for giving different materials different bonuses like wood has but I think it needs to be done very carefully and at this point is probably best left for another publish.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The BIG issues with adding something later is its still adds complexity but LATER. We still will have to make new armor for some (perhaps all) of our characters and it will still effect the current purposed publish 81. Putting something under the bed for later stinks...

Currently Heartwood mods are a solid choice to add to metal amor enhancements and it does not unbalanced the game AT ALL. All we did is give players new armor art (metal armor). Adding stamina reduction and increased LMC cap changes the balance period. I have read post that people now want to remove the mage armor property. Gz... were does it end?

We should always ask - How does this help vet players, returning players and does this attract new players?

Personally, I really don't want to waste any forge metal tool charges until we know whats cracking with the armor mods.

Spell Breaker

Last edited:

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm just really sad that Glad Collar took a big hit with this publish. One of the best and favorite pieces in the game will end up in a chest doing nothing and that's really uncool.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have a better idea for the refinements...

1. Get rid of the "brittle" property on loot. Replace it with "Cursed" in Reforging.
  2. Refinements would permanently remove the "Cursed" property (if present), but function in different ways, depending on the item applied to (not just armor)
  3. Armor refinement options would replace the current ones with choice of +1 to all resist caps for -5% DCI, or +3% DCI cap for -2 to all resist caps (let's keep it simple - but keep pieces from canceling out each other). Refined armor gains "Cannot Be Repaired" (if not already possessed).
  4. Weapons would lose "Cursed"; the additional properties from being refined would be choice of Splintering Weapon with a lower DCI cap, or increased chance to parry (with the parry from weapon skill or Parry) with a lowered HCI cap. They will remain repairable, unless already non-repairable from CBR property possessed before refinement.
  5. Jewelry would lose "Cursed", and remain repairable, but will have a 150 durability cap added, if not already possessed, and not be able to have PoF used on it.
  6. Refined items will take double damage from items, attacks and effects that do durability damage, if their slot is hit by the effect.
That way, if someone wants to play with refinements, it's going to be on armor that's not going to be a permanent item (and the refinements for Jewelry and weapons I suggest would not make them all that permanent either, if the user isn't careful). And, it would give people the option to uncurse stuff, but at a cost.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anything that removes the cursed property is a bad idea. Can you picture some of the items out there?

About the only situation where it might make sense, is if Cursed was removed the item instantly becomes Brittle/Cannot be repaired, just so it doesn't last forever even if you can insure it.

Last edited:

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that resist number should be more like +3/-3 (or 2), the +1/-1 isnt even worth the defense loss, if your to have 75 in all resist you have 0 defense chance?

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anything that removes the cursed property is a bad idea. Can you picture some of the items out there?

About the only situation where it might make sense, is if Cursed was removed the item instantly becomes Brittle/Cannot be repaired, just so it doesn't last forever even if you can insure it.
Perhaps you didn't read what I suggested. Armor would become CBR under my suggestion, and jewelry would become 150/150 durability with no POF. They would break, eventually. And, allowing weapons to be made splintering, even if repairable, would slowly kill them (especially if made non-POF, which I forgot to add). The other weapon option would be lowering HCI cap for a parry increase, and that would only benefit those with Parry or Weapon skill (as it wouldn't be DCI)

And, KLOMP, do you always see things that are 1000 times more simple as being more complex? You seem to knee-jerk respond to anything that tries to be more simple as it being more complex, then try to provide straw men to support your unsupportable positions. The alternative version of refining I suggested was for flat changes, not stuff that varies by material or armor type like the current proposal, and mirrors some of the effects of existing spells in how they would apply (you know, things like Curse, Magic Reflect, Reactive Armor, Stoneskin, Divine Fury, etc.) Even the Jewelry suggestion would be the equivalent of what happens when you imbue a piece, only with a lower starting durability.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps you didn't read what I suggested. Armor would become CBR under my suggestion, and jewelry would become 150/150 durability with no POF. They would break, eventually. And, allowing weapons to be made splintering, even if repairable, would slowly kill them (especially if made non-POF, which I forgot to add). The other weapon option would be lowering HCI cap for a parry increase, and that would only benefit those with Parry or Weapon skill (as it wouldn't be DCI)

And, KLOMP, do you always see things that are 1000 times more simple as being more complex? You seem to knee-jerk respond to anything that tries to be more simple as it being more complex, then try to provide straw men to support your unsupportable positions. The alternative version of refining I suggested was for flat changes, not stuff that varies by material or armor type like the current proposal, and mirrors some of the effects of existing spells in how they would apply (you know, things like Curse, Magic Reflect, Reactive Armor, Stoneskin, Divine Fury, etc.) Even the Jewelry suggestion would be the equivalent of what happens when you imbue a piece, only with a lower starting durability.
whoops, i must of missed that part. selective..reading lol.

I just really hate the idea of having the ability to edit property caps in most regards, but the lmc seems ok.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whoops, i must of missed that part. selective..reading lol.

I just really hate the idea of having the ability to edit property caps in most regards, but the lmc seems ok.
Yeah in general I agree though I think Basara has an interesting idea going. I think for now though any sort of refinement stuff should be left for another publish. Lets make a few tweaks like have already been discussed many times to what they have proposed now and scrap refinements for now. Then we can see how things work out before they consider adding another system.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know whats going to happen! they will set a release date of April 1st, then when the day comes they will have a BIG laugh then roll out the real publish!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know whats going to happen! they will set a release date of April 1st, then when the day comes they will have a BIG laugh then roll out the real publish!

"Shows screenshot of neon blaze greater dragon* APRIL FOOLS!

I hope they don't prank us with an april fools joke related to this publish lol

Last edited:

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Shows screenshot of neon blaze greater dragon* APRIL FOOLS!

I hope they don't prank us with an april fools joke related to this publish lol
Yeah that would just be mean lol! If I saw a picture of a neon blaze dragon I would be tempted to cancel on the spot!

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that would just be mean lol! If I saw a picture of a neon blaze dragon I would be tempted to cancel on the spot!
That last part brings me to a point when people were complaining about the proposed pet dyes or whatever it was. But yet the blaze cu has been one of the most sought after pets in game since they were added. When the unintended effect of dying swamp dragon armor with tokuno dyes appeared, everyone had one. It looked like UO puked a bag of skittles. I have to wonder why people are against pet colors?

I would like to see some more tameables with an extremely rare variety of colors. Especially glacial!!