• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Turning off Housing Decay for the Month of September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasnt the goal to benefit them?

Even if they were playing the 90 day game, so do many people that regularly play, so it's not like only those in Texas benefited from this.

What it comes down to is your mad they inconvenienced your video game slightly for a month and abruptly. Hell I spent more on soft pretzels and lemonade the other day for the family than I did in 3 months of game time for UO.

You paid $13, you get what you get, which is what you agreed to in the TOS when you started playing. I don't know how long you've played but we've gone longer stretches than this with housing being down.

If you're still angry with how the TEAM managed this, then I encourage you to email [email protected].
When were these long stretches that housing was completely disabled for long stretches? What was the reason for them? And it still comes down to it benefited the 90 day free loaders and no one else. I get it you are MAD that not everyone shares your sense doing something meaningless to feel the warm breeze of unicorn farts on a fuzzy field of feel good. Well I guess it did help the 90 day freeloaders that all seem to have their schedule set in September. Mad really is not accurate for me though disgusted is more like it ;) And why would I email that clown, that is kind of like peeing against the wind unless you are in her clique.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This response was fairly predictable. You're arguing precedence. You find it irrational they're doing it for Texas and not for you. Yep I get it.

I don't pretend to care why they did it. I care regardless of their reasons (although they are based in the US so it's not hard to really make the leap here, despite how hard it is for you.), " grown" adults are crying over it because their video game was slightly affected for a month because of the gesture. (Two weeks left by the way, congrats you're doing it!)

Regardless, I would have been fine with them doing it for any such event. You're paying what, $13 a month? And now youre angry you can't customize on a video game your house because you paid $13. Yep got it all the first time.

Now step back and see how petty it is.

I feel sorry for all of you that are this attached to a video game. Do yourself a favor, click the power button, and take a step outside. It is really refreshing!
Actually I am saying there is NO WAY I would expect them to do the same for us so am hardly angry they didn't do the same, sheesh, I pay for my accounts EVERY month. There is a 3 month buffer already. That is in place to ensure short term interuptions to a persons game play is protected from just this type of event. Therefore, there is no need to stop major parts of the game that affect every single player. You should try reading and comprehending not only the words I wrote but the meaning behind them.

I am not in the slightest bit angry about it , I just think it is totally STUPID and UNNECCESSARY which just makes me incredulous that anyone can think this disruption to services in any way assists anything. There is a world of difference between that and being angry.

What you don't seem to understand is that this does NOTHING for anyone who regularly pays their account and is affected. Their houses will not be falling until November so if they are still out of action at that time their houses will still fall and they have no protection by this what-so-ever. Sheesh, what a fiasco that is.

For those that can afford to run multiple accounts and play the 90 day game, who haven't paid their accounts for the past 2-3 mths (the only ones who may be assisted by this), fine, you obviously have enough funds to run so many accounts, so you are also able to log onto any web browser with your smart phone and do your account management, you do NOT need a pc or laptop to do this, or even a house for that matter. You want to play the 90 day game fine, I don't care, but don't scream foul if you take it to the wire and 'give up' your right to that 90 day buffer that allows you to operate by paying only 4mths of the yr.

I "feel sorry for you" that you cannot see how absolutely pointless this whole exercise is, how you think this in any way is providing anything for the regular paying customers directly affected by these hurricanes.

It is a totally useless action taking the place of actually doing something worthwhile like asking those affected players to contact them and just freeze their accounts for them for 6mths or until notified to unfreeze them. This would be the TRUE form of protection and assistance for those affected. I am sure the devs can identify those in the relevant areas. They could also set up a donation page from uo players to go to the red cross or whoever the relevant assistance body is, instead they do this token 'gesture' of appearing to do something which in effect does nothing but halt of services of the rest of the playerbase not affected by the hurricanes.

Anyway mate, you go on believing that it is doing something good, I just can't live in your fantasy land.

Just because some of us see through the whole PR exercise it doesn't make us "angry" or "so attached to a video game" lol, it just show some of us actually 'think' rather than jump on the 'feel good' bandwagon. In fact I doubt it was actually a PR exercise as a PR exercise actually requires some logical thinking to be effective, instead it was a poorly thought out decision put in place to 'appear' to be doing something when you want to try and make yourself look good. Smoke and mirrors. Sadly something that this dev team seems to excel at.

This is a discussion forum and an interuption of services to the majority of gamers who pay for said service is actually a topic worth discussing, and your labelling of those who have a different opinion to you as being angry, 'crying' and the other derogatory terms you used is pretty lame.

It is not good enough for the devs to remove PAID services from the majority of the players for some useless pretense of doing something when it does nothing to assist those affected at all. Some people though, seem to think this pointless exercise is the way to go. Well not in my view and ya know what? I actually have the right to express that view.

Oh and btw, I walk 5km every day and swim 1500m twice a week, so have no need to as you put it 'click the power button and step outside' how patronising are you? LMAO

Anyways, cheers!
You go on believing that this is assisting anyone all you want. Be a cheerleader :cheerleader:

Last edited:

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MalagAste

Let me just pull a quote of yours from another thread for a moment.

If the parts of the game YOU enjoyed most were suddenly UNPLAYABLE for you... would you not lose your cool????
Yes, I know that is in relation to lag (which I have also suffered from immensely over the last few months), and this is about housing, but my point remains, and is this:

Housing is a part of the game that I and MANY OTHERS enjoy a lot, and suddenly it's become UNPLAYABLE due to the actions of the devs (same as the lag is due to their inaction)... So why are you allowed to lose your cool over the lag, but the rest of us have to "quit whining pull up [our] big boy/girl panties and learn to deal"? Whether it's a month or five years, the amount of time doesn't matter. It's been shown time and again that this benefits, at most, a very limited number of people, while effectively screwing over the rest of us. It was not an action of compassion. It was an action to try and make them look good.

And honestly, it's in poor taste to speak out on (the many) things that seem to affect and annoy you, but tell other people they can't discuss things that affect and annoy them. I think the appropriate word for that is hypocrisy.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@MalagAste

Let me just pull a quote of yours from another thread for a moment.

Yes, I know that is in relation to lag (which I have also suffered from immensely over the last few months), and this is about housing, but my point remains, and is this:

Housing is a part of the game that I and MANY OTHERS enjoy a lot, and suddenly it's become UNPLAYABLE due to the actions of the devs (same as the lag is due to their inaction)... So why are you allowed to lose your cool over the lag, but the rest of us have to "quit whining pull up [our] big boy/girl panties and learn to deal"? Whether it's a month or five years, the amount of time doesn't matter. It's been shown time and again that this benefits, at most, a very limited number of people, while effectively screwing over the rest of us. It was not an action of compassion. It was an action to try and make them look good.

And honestly, it's in poor taste to speak out on (the many) things that seem to affect and annoy you, but tell other people they can't discuss things that affect and annoy them. I think the appropriate word for that is hypocrisy.
At least you know in 30 days it'll be back to business as usual and all this will be a sad memory...

For me we are going on 5 years now... and I see no progress or end in sight... infact I'm told it's not really a problem... must be all in my head then.. and the heads of anyone else using the EC. Gee... isn't that nice.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At least you know in 30 days it'll be back to business as usual and all this will be a sad memory...

For me we are going on 5 years now... and I see no progress or end in sight... infact I'm told it's not really a problem... must be all in my head then.. and the heads of anyone else using the EC. Gee... isn't that nice.
Until they start shutting off housing for every little thing because people will complain that it's not fair that it was done for one group and not another.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well if you want to know my frustrations you need look no further than the new event... You see a Fire Demon and you think to yourself, Awesome! Maybe I can get some of the Hands to make Demon Slaying weapons only to find this:

[22:05:02]: *There is no loot on the corpse*

Really???? Why not? The fire ants have loot???

Seriously this is the state of the game.

Velner

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am one of the unfortunate few who decided to come back on Sept. 1. I got to the point today where I need to place a house and learned about this situation.

But, hey, it's nothing compared to actually dealing with a hurricane and massive flooding. Just wish I wasn't on Siege so I could have more than one player to stash loot. Having a hard time understanding why they shut down housing completely, though. I remember in 2001 after 9/11 they stopped decay for quite a long time, but you could still place, buy, sell, and hold multiple houses. Oh well, I'll be living out of my boat for a while.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am one of the unfortunate few who decided to come back on Sept. 1. I got to the point today where I need to place a house and learned about this situation.

But, hey, it's nothing compared to actually dealing with a hurricane and massive flooding. Just wish I wasn't on Siege so I could have more than one player to stash loot. Having a hard time understanding why they shut down housing completely, though. I remember in 2001 after 9/11 they stopped decay for quite a long time, but you could still place, buy, sell, and hold multiple houses. Oh well, I'll be living out of my boat for a while.
Until Garth finds it, scuttles it and dry loots it :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Until they start shutting off housing for every little thing because people will complain that it's not fair that it was done for one group and not another.
It actually runs afoul of several laws if they do not follow the precedent they have set. In Particular, The Reasonable Expectation, the Public Accommodation and Equal Enjoyment of Services ones.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was talking to my cable provider and had a very interesting and very alarming bit of information told to me.
If any of you saw on the news about the solar flair's this last week before Harvey and then Irma made a bigger splash.
There was 2 ejections, 1 was very massive.
Those of you from Canada and upper states might remember the power black out a few years back.
That was caused by one that came very close.
This large ejection was close by and showered our protective layer.
Cell phones, cable to satellite communication, power grids, and even pace makers.. can be effected by these blasts from the sun.
EMP is a real thing and its only a matter of time before one of the sun's blasts hits us head on.
This one made havoc... not to the point it blacked us out but its a solid warning the Sun has power.
So if you felt a huge lag in the game its a good chance the web is still trying to shake it off.
I have been getting this lag and trouble with log in a lot of different online programs.
This is not something a Dev can fix..... hehe this time.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Actually I am saying there is NO WAY I would expect them to do the same for us so am hardly angry they didn't do the same, sheesh, I pay for my accounts EVERY month. There is a 3 month buffer already. That is in place to ensure short term interuptions to a persons game play is protected from just this type of event. Therefore, there is no need to stop major parts of the game that affect every single player. You should try reading and comprehending not only the words I wrote but the meaning behind them.

I am not in the slightest bit angry about it , I just think it is totally STUPID and UNNECCESSARY which just makes me incredulous that anyone can think this disruption to services in any way assists anything. There is a world of difference between that and being angry.

What you don't seem to understand is that this does NOTHING for anyone who regularly pays their account and is affected. Their houses will not be falling until November so if they are still out of action at that time their houses will still fall and they have no protection by this what-so-ever. Sheesh, what a fiasco that is.

For those that can afford to run multiple accounts and play the 90 day game, who haven't paid their accounts for the past 2-3 mths (the only ones who may be assisted by this), fine, you obviously have enough funds to run so many accounts, so you are also able to log onto any web browser with your smart phone and do your account management, you do NOT need a pc or laptop to do this, or even a house for that matter. You want to play the 90 day game fine, I don't care, but don't scream foul if you take it to the wire and 'give up' your right to that 90 day buffer that allows you to operate by paying only 4mths of the yr.

I "feel sorry for you" that you cannot see how absolutely pointless this whole exercise is, how you think this in any way is providing anything for the regular paying customers directly affected by these hurricanes.

It is a totally useless action taking the place of actually doing something worthwhile like asking those affected players to contact them and just freeze their accounts for them for 6mths or until notified to unfreeze them. This would be the TRUE form of protection and assistance for those affected. I am sure the devs can identify those in the relevant areas. They could also set up a donation page from uo players to go to the red cross or whoever the relevant assistance body is, instead they do this token 'gesture' of appearing to do something which in effect does nothing but halt of services of the rest of the playerbase not affected by the hurricanes.

Anyway mate, you go on believing that it is doing something good, I just can't live in your fantasy land.

Just because some of us see through the whole PR exercise it doesn't make us "angry" or "so attached to a video game" lol, it just show some of us actually 'think' rather than jump on the 'feel good' bandwagon. In fact I doubt it was actually a PR exercise as a PR exercise actually requires some logical thinking to be effective, instead it was a poorly thought out decision put in place to 'appear' to be doing something when you want to try and make yourself look good. Smoke and mirrors. Sadly something that this dev team seems to excel at.

This is a discussion forum and an interuption of services to the majority of gamers who pay for said service is actually a topic worth discussing, and your labelling of those who have a different opinion to you as being angry, 'crying' and the other derogatory terms you used is pretty lame.

It is not good enough for the devs to remove PAID services from the majority of the players for some useless pretense of doing something when it does nothing to assist those affected at all. Some people though, seem to think this pointless exercise is the way to go. Well not in my view and ya know what? I actually have the right to express that view.

Oh and btw, I walk 5km every day and swim 1500m twice a week, so have no need to as you put it 'click the power button and step outside' how patronising are you? LMAO

Anyways, cheers!
You go on believing that this is assisting anyone all you want. Be a cheerleader :cheerleader:
Yep, people get three months after they're done paying for their account.

What's it to you if they pay monthly or every three months? I'm guessing many accounts are on a 3 month rotation.

They turned off housing.

You pay ~$13 a month for a video game.

You're "not angry" they turned off housing and you think it's pointless and you're a paying customer.

What'd I miss?

Enjoy your walk today!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It actually runs afoul of several laws if they do not follow the precedent they have set. In Particular, The Reasonable Expectation, the Public Accommodation and Equal Enjoyment of Services ones.
Not to be offensive but that is total BS. Read your TOS lol.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
When were these long stretches that housing was completely disabled for long stretches? What was the reason for them? And it still comes down to it benefited the 90 day free loaders and no one else. I get it you are MAD that not everyone shares your sense doing something meaningless to feel the warm breeze of unicorn farts on a fuzzy field of feel good. Well I guess it did help the 90 day freeloaders that all seem to have their schedule set in September. Mad really is not accurate for me though disgusted is more like it ;) And why would I email that clown, that is kind of like peeing against the wind unless you are in her clique.
You want me to cite housing warehouse outages over the last 20 years?

This is purely off memory, if you want to search through archives to prove me wrong feel free. Though the primary point being this isn't anything new.

You can try a seize on one talking point about a time difference in a housing outage or you could email Bonnie.

Good luck on the archives.

Again, Bonnie's email is [email protected]. Feel free to share your disgust about your video game housing being down a month.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Did you even read the terms of service?

Edited to add, You may also be surprised to find the arbitrary clause in there.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is one or two things that no one has asked..
How does this effect the time/decay of a paid rotation?
Meaning...if a player is doing said rotational on the paid no pay 3 month bit ...and they turn on said accounts but housing is off does it count to the rotation?
If it does not... then the person who spent to turn on their accounts, have to worry his houses will fall into decay?

Example:
Bob has 3 accounts
He pays for every month for 1 main account
The two others he pays for them every 85 days so his homes stay safe.
So account 1 is fully safe, but accounts 2 and 3 that were paid for during September which is their rotational time on are they good for the next round of rotation?
OR
With the house system off the accounts being on didn't count and they will go into decay?

Quite a quandary... any answers?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I hate those clauses. I have one for the third party company I contract for. Stiffels most legal recourses one might have.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think i'm gonna stay out of this thread - both sides seem to have some valid points.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As point of fact I have and it is pretty much worthless. Filing a complaint with a Government agency that specifically investigates these sorts of things will have little interest in TOS or Arbitration. LOL people put a lot of stock in TOS and EULAs that in all reality might make halfway decent toilet paper in a pinch :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want me to cite housing warehouse outages over the last 20 years?

This is purely off memory, if you want to search through archives to prove me wrong feel free. Though the primary point being this isn't anything new.

You can try a seize on one talking point about a time difference in a housing outage or you could email Bonnie.

Good luck on the archives.

Again, Bonnie's email is [email protected]. Feel free to share your disgust about your video game housing being down a month.

You might want to hit the power button and spend some time outside, you seem to be getting pretty Emo about this.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I hate those clauses. I have one for the third party company I contract for. Stiffels most legal recourses one might have.
Yeah, I'm reluctant to enter anything with one.

Especially if the arbiter is paid by that specific company.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You might want to hit the power button and spend some time outside, you seem to be getting pretty Emo about this.
I use my phone, I'm always on the go.

And sure, if you find encouraging archive searching and emailing Bonnie Emo, you really nailed it.

Nice job champ.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
As point of fact I have and it is pretty much worthless. Filing a complaint with a Government agency that specifically investigates these sorts of things will have little interest in TOS or Arbitration. LOL people put a lot of stock in TOS and EULAs that in all reality might make halfway decent toilet paper in a pinch :)
Sure bring THAT to court lol.

"BUT I TOLD THE GOVT I COULNDNT PLAY PART OF MY GAME FOR A MONTH!"

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah... I'll tell you this much if the government wasted time on someone complaining about not being able to place a home in a game I would go ape... pancakes.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah... I'll tell you this much if the government wasted time on someone complaining about not being able to place a home in a game I would go ape... pancakes.
LOL well you better go ape then because it happens every day. Maybe not this specific but from I understand EA is referred to as a frequent flier with these agencies and typically pays the settlement to make it go away....... Even with all of their TOS and Arbitration clauses. Ahhh the phone AKA Adult pacifier :)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
LOL well you better go ape then because it happens every day. Maybe not this specific but from I understand EA is referred to as a frequent flier with these agencies and typically pays the settlement to make it go away....... Even with all of their TOS and Arbitration clauses. Ahhh the phone AKA Adult pacifier :)
Let me know how it turns out for you.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, people get three months after they're done paying for their account.
So if those people have been paying their account monthly how does turning housing off for a month in September help them? It doesn't. If they default this month their houses will be going IDOC in Nov Dec if the hurricanes have affected their ability to access the game. If they get back in game in Oct, Nov, Dec they just pay their sub and turning housing off in September means absolutley nothing.

What's it to you if they pay monthly or every three months? I'm guessing many accounts are on a 3 month rotation.
It means absolutley nothing to me if they do this. I seriously don't care. However, by paying this way you automatically give up the right to the '3 month non-payment buffer' that is put in place to avoid peoples accounts going into default and them losing stuff when unforseen events happen, aka hurricanes etc. It is choice the players make. Don't then whine if those unforseen events happen, you gave up your right to the buffer that is there for protection.

They turned off housing.
Yep and your point? I pay for this game. Housing is a huge part of it. Your point should have been "they turned off housing for NO reason".

You pay ~$13 a month for a video game.
Acutally I pay $39 per month for a video game, again your point.? You are the only one who cares what it costs me, I don't. I pay for a service and actually expect to get it unless there is a very good reason why I don't. You are the one saying I should pay for a service and be perfectly happy if that service isn't fully provided, not me.

You're "not angry" they turned off housing and you think it's pointless and you're a paying customer.
Yep so what. I am not the one saying it is ok for a company to take my money and then not provide the service I pay for, you are. You seem quite happy to pay for something you aren't getting due to a seriously flawed reaction to an event.

What'd I miss?
You missed the point.

Enjoy your walk today!
Am sure I will. I always enjoy my walks!

And yeah, this is getting ridiculous so we shall just have to agree to fully disagree. OUT

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So if those people have been paying their account monthly how does turning housing off for a month in September help them? It doesn't. If they default this month their houses will be going IDOC in Nov Dec if the hurricanes have affected their ability to access the game. If they get back in game in Oct, Nov, Dec they just pay their sub and turning housing off in September means absolutley nothing.

It means absolutley nothing to me if they do this. I seriously don't care. However, by paying this way you automatically give up the right to the '3 month non-payment buffer' that is put in place to avoid peoples accounts going into default and them losing stuff when unforseen events happen, aka hurricanes etc. It is choice the players make. Don't then whine if those unforseen events happen, you gave up your right to the buffer that is there for protection.

Yep and your point? I pay for this game. Housing is a huge part of it. Your point should have been "they turned off housing for NO reason".

Acutally I pay $39 per month for a video game, again your point.? You are the only one who cares what it costs me, I don't. I pay for a service and actually expect to get it unless there is a very good reason why I don't. You are the one saying I should pay for a service and be perfectly happy if that service isn't fully provided, not me.

Yep so what. I am not the one saying it is ok for a company to take my money and then not provide the service I pay for, you are. You seem quite happy to pay for something you aren't getting due to a seriously flawed reaction to an event.

You missed the point.

And yeah, this is getting ridiculous so we shall just have to agree to fully disagree. OUT
You nailed it

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

You missed the point.

What's it you if they weren't paying every month?

You pay monthly for an "as is" service, and very little at that. Read the TOS.

Your entitlement is astounding.

Sorry your video game was inconvenienced for a month because they made the gesture for those affected by a hurricane.

/end

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you noticed that every detractor of the hold, be they angry or not, only offers up one starting point for their example. The person in the example is paid off when the hold was put in place, therefore they have three months anyways.

I have yet to see any of the people arguing against the hold start with the person that defaulted two to three months ago and was about to pay for their subscription before it idoc'd. They got flooded, lost everything, perhaps even a loved one. The hold gives them an additional 30 days to tend to their hardships as apposed to the couple of days IDOC takes.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you noticed that every detractor of the hold, be they angry or not, only offers up one starting point for their example. The person in the example is paid off when the hold was put in place, therefore they have three months anyways.

I have yet to see any of the people arguing against the hold start with the person that defaulted two to three months ago and was about to pay for their subscription before it idoc'd. They got flooded, lost everything, perhaps even a loved one. The hold gives them an additional 30 days to tend to their hardships as apposed to the couple of days IDOC takes.
As many of us have stated, if someone defaulted two or three months ago, that's on them. The buffer wasn't put in place so they could hold a house while only choosing to pay 4x a year. It was put in place in case of an emergency situation, such as a hurricane or other disaster or personal issue.

If they chose to abuse it, then they gave up their right to the protection it's meant to provide.

Do I feel for them being flooded and having to deal with the hardships they'll have to face? Yes, of course.

And considering there are many weather forecasts, watches and warnings... I'm quite sure that if it was really that big of a concern for them, they'd have had time to take a few minutes to pay, on the off chance something did occur.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its **** the UO subscribers get shanked.. lets be hinest a quick free 30 day code for evryine would cost them absolute nothing.... u read that .. zero...it cost me .. i lost out..... seroulsy my account ends in a few days i havent been able to place and sell well placed atl houses or keeps and castles on lesser shards for 3 weeks or so.... and bigger still i cannot place a 90 day house house keeper/ store b4 my account closes like i should be able too..... thats why i pay the stinking 12.50$ FOR a 30 day code!!!!........................ next time ill just CONSIDER to buy fricking gold ,,, read CONSIDER BUY..... and cut my losses in case this **** haens again were u open an account and get butt ****ed... [END]

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And considering there are many weather forecasts, watches and warnings... I'm quite sure that if it was really that big of a concern for them, they'd have had time to take a few minutes to pay, on the off chance something did occur.
Lol, at least a week of warnings that this thing was heading our way. Remember the old tale of the ant and the grasshopper they used to teach in school?
Grasshopper Ant.jpg

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As many of us have stated, if someone defaulted two or three months ago, that's on them. The buffer wasn't put in place so they could hold a house while only choosing to pay 4x a year. It was put in place in case of an emergency situation, such as a hurricane or other disaster or personal issue.

If they chose to abuse it, then they gave up their right to the protection it's meant to provide.

Do I feel for them being flooded and having to deal with the hardships they'll have to face? Yes, of course.

Let me preface by saying I have 8 accounts and I pay monthly. I am too old, fat and lazy to gamble my accounts by playing the three month game. As for the people that do, I feel like they are exploiting a loophole and as you so quaintly put it, it’s on them.

Now, I am simply debunking the theory that has been posed by many, that the hold does not help anyone….It does.

We might not like the group of people that helps but this notion that it helped no one is false. There are UO/Broadsword customers that were affected in a positive way because of this freeze.

I could give another example that has nothing to do with the playing the 3month game.

Person A. lost her credit cards one month before flood and was waiting to get them in the mail to resub her accounts. For whatever reason she didn’t get them before the flood. Her house is gone, computer is flooded out, no mail is going to her house. She now has an extra month to work with insurance, get a new place to stay and call bank to get cards delivered and resub account.

I could come up with these scenarios all day long…..

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The term it's the thought that counts doesn't only apply to recieving gifts. Don't under estimate the value of knowing that someone cares. Regardless of the actual benefit.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The term it's the thought that counts doesn't only apply to recieving gifts. Don't under estimate the value of knowing that someone cares. Regardless of the actual benefit.
Actually it isn't the 'thought' that counts as there really wasn't any 'thought' put into this silly gesture. If any 'thought' was put into it, Mesanna et al would have said if you are seriously affected by these hurricanes, contact us and we shall freeze your account for a month unless advised to unfreeze it. Or if they wanted to help all those playing the 90 day game that are the most likely to be affected then turn off housing DECAY rather than all housing functions. That would have been the appropriate response, not what they did.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let me preface by saying I have 8 accounts and I pay monthly. I am too old, fat and lazy to gamble my accounts by playing the three month game. As for the people that do, I feel like they are exploiting a loophole and as you so quaintly put it, it’s on them.

Now, I am simply debunking the theory that has been posed by many, that the hold does not help anyone….It does.

We might not like the group of people that helps but this notion that it helped no one is false. There are UO/Broadsword customers that were affected in a positive way because of this freeze.

I could give another example that has nothing to do with the playing the 3month game.

Person A. lost her credit cards one month before flood and was waiting to get them in the mail to resub her accounts. For whatever reason she didn’t get them before the flood. Her house is gone, computer is flooded out, no mail is going to her house. She now has an extra month to work with insurance, get a new place to stay and call bank to get cards delivered and resub account.

I could come up with these scenarios all day long…..
The simple fact is that it is/was possible to help all those people without shutting off housing for everyone else for an entire month. If they were desperate to implement something fine, shut it all down for a few days till everyone was in the office. But then turn the rest of housing on for all the paying subscribers. Leaving EVERYONE without housing for the entire month wasn't needed.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The simple fact is that it is/was possible to help all those people without shutting off housing for everyone else for an entire month. If they were desperate to implement somethinh
Perhaps.

Again I am disproving the argument that this only helped those that play the three month game.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So it's OK to institute a useless gesture, that actually detrimental to the bulk of the player base, as long as it makes one feel good about themselves, and even more importantly if it makes them look good.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe they are saving our dearly beloved Lord British's home! :) He's in Texas right? DOWN WITH LORD BLACKTHORN!!!!!!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its the 17th late in the evening.. you have 13 more days to go.
As you might imagine I again have something to point out....
There was flooding not too long before the Hurricane hit texas... in the east... big rain storms dropped massive amounts of water that made a mess.
Rivers over flowed their banks... and people were flooded out.. (Irma did it again too them too)

Then texas... they will be in hell for months to years to come... but like I was told Texans bounce.
This last time its IRMA ,,,, I don't want to even consider those poor people and what its going to take to get even their mail.

The US Post office has put their mail on hold. Some of the post offices are gone!
And it was not bad enough she did in Florida...she decided to help herself to other states and soak things there as well.

You are sitting at home in a cozy chair... had a hot supper and got TV on and will crawl in your bed tonight when your done.
A great deal of people are wondering where they can go back to even knowing where they can call home.. much less a hot meal.

The islands are wiped off the map... the british virgin islands cant even qualify for aid... the islands is called the rich islands so they don't qualify.
90% of those islanders are or were pay check to pay check... they needed the tourists who came to stay in their hotels and swim in their sea and spend their money.
Just think of all those people who paid for cruse ship tours for the Caribbean ....

As in Florida.. the Snowbirds who are due in every fall will have to stay up north... they may not have a winter home to go to... Grandma and pops will be home for the holidays kiddies...
Now that I have bent your ear...
You sit there and cry boo hoo
Mesanna didn't ask us she just did it...
We want it back we don't care we are selfish creatures who dont give a fig less about others and their loss...
That's what you sound like to me...
Not omg how can we help them....
Let me give you a tiny fact
This did help them
I wish we could do more

Go curl up with a good book or a hot cup of coffee and thank Mother Nature she didn't get pissed at you. She has a mean temper and takes little prisoners.
Climate Change is real kiddies... momma said so.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
People are using this baseline because it is a critical distinction to understanding what effect shutting off September housing actually has regardless of what its stated purpose was or what intent was behind it.

Anyone who defaulted two to three months ago forfeited the ninety day safeguard that was already in place. It doesn't matter if they were doing the "ninety day game" or not. They already had two to three months to correct it. They didn't. Broadsword shut down a core functionality to all customers, worldwide, for a service they are currently paying for, to benefit a very small number of what at this point are technically former customers who may have been about to resubscribe.

You can't say out of one side of your mouth that UO housing is important enough to take steps beyond the normal safeguard to preserve and out of the other side of your mouth that it's not a big deal to cut off most of its functionality for a month--especially when it benefits unpaid accounts at the expense of paid ones. It is not the responsibility of the currently paying customers to give up part of what they paid for when there was already an adequate safeguard in place just because someone chose to forfeit it and then got caught unawares at the last minute. That is what the ninety day buffer is there for.

And again, if they had only turned off decay, I doubt anyone would care. I wouldn't. Nothing would have been taken from paying players to benefit ones who hadn't paid. But that's not what they did. They prioritized non-paid accounts over paid ones. They prioritized former customers over current ones. They preserved a very small number of unpaid houses at the literal expense of everyone's paid housing functionality. They legitimized non-payment in a way that penalized those who paid.

I've seen variations of this being worthwhile "if just one house/account is saved". That is demonstrably mathematically untrue. If just one house on ninety day pay is saved, but just one person closes a monthly account because they feel slighted or this is the last straw or they opened that account solely for housing or whatever, then no, it is NOT worthwhile, not to Broadsword, and not to the rest of us who are now that much closer to watching the lights go out. You can't look at what is saved without also considering what could be lost with a given action, and the implementation of this one is almost certainly going to lose some accounts.

A monthly paid account is worth four times as much per year to Broadsword than one paid every ninety days.

How many actual hurricane victims' UO houses do you think were saved by this move and represent accounts that will go back to paying at least once every ninety days?

Now how many accounts worldwide do you think will either reduce payment from monthly to every ninety days or cancel entirely at least in part because of this?

For ONE account cancelled because of (or partly because of) this move, it would take FOUR accounts having been legitimately preserved and guaranteed to pay again to break even on the loss. No matter how you spin it, unless four times as many accounts are saved as decide to cancel or downgrade after what amounts to an official legitimization of paying every ninety days at the expense of everyone who was paying monthly, then BS comes out worse than they would have if they had done nothing.

Do you think there are four times as many hurricane-affected accounts that were at the end of their 90-day buffer with houses saved by turning off September housing as there are accounts worldwide that are now in danger of being downsized or cancelled at least in part because of it?

I don't.

Obviously I don't know the account numbers, but my impression as a player is that we are steadily losing accounts faster than we are gaining them. The game can't last like that. By prioritizing a tiny fraction of unpaid accounts in a relatively small part of the world over all currently paid accounts worldwide, Broadsword just gambled with all our UO houses at very bad odds. They made a bet that all customers, worldwide, would be okay with not getting the full use of their paid accounts for a month in a way that benefits only people who hadn't paid for over two months, and I think they will lose that bet. I think BS will lose more money trying to cater to people gambling with their already generous safeguard than they retained by saving a few houses for a few of those people.

It's not about compassion for hurricane victims. The game already compensated for contingencies like this years ago when they added the ninety day buffer to account for anyone's unforeseen circumstances or hardships. Over two months already unpaid is not unforeseen. Artificially extending it served only a small fraction of those who had already chosen to forfeit it, and the way it was extended devalued a month of every account worldwide that had not.

Now they have lost revenue, irritated current customers, and set a precedent that they can't realistically keep repeating and that will likely create more resentment and cries of foul play if they don't when the next disaster hits.

That doesn't make sense and is bad for the game.

Intent is not magical. I'm sure they meant well with this, but they didn't think it through and ultimately I think it will do more harm than good. If misprioritization and shortsighted decisions end up resulting in paying accounts dropping below whatever threshold is required to keep the game going, then we will all be without our UO housing, including the hurricane victims.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOOK
If we didn't need all the paying bodys we can keep and get back Id tell you to fold up shop and go bye bye...
Your not getting the days back nor the housing turned on til OCt 1
PERIOD.
Whine about it all you like.
You got 13 more days so suck it up and be adults with a heart... for some of you Acting may be required for this. (Oscar consideration may apply)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was flooding not too long before the Hurricane hit texas... in the east... big rain storms dropped massive amounts of water that made a mess.
Rivers over flowed their banks... and people were flooded out.. (Irma did it again too them too)

Then texas... they will be in hell for months to years to come... but like I was told Texans bounce.
This last time its IRMA ,,,, I don't want to even consider those poor people and what its going to take to get even their mail.

The US Post office has put their mail on hold. Some of the post offices are gone!
And it was not bad enough she did in Florida...she decided to help herself to other states and soak things there as well.

You are sitting at home in a cozy chair... had a hot supper and got TV on and will crawl in your bed tonight when your done.
A great deal of people are wondering where they can go back to even knowing where they can call home.. much less a hot meal.

The islands are wiped off the map... the british virgin islands cant even qualify for aid... the islands is called the rich islands so they don't qualify.
90% of those islanders are or were pay check to pay check... they needed the tourists who came to stay in their hotels and swim in their sea and spend their money.
Just think of all those people who paid for cruse ship tours for the Caribbean ....

As in Florida.. the Snowbirds who are due in every fall will have to stay up north... they may not have a winter home to go to... Grandma and pops will be home for the holidays kiddies...
We want it back we don't care we are selfish creatures who dont give a fig less about others and their loss...
This did help them
I wish we could do more

Go curl up with a good book or a hot cup of coffee and thank Mother Nature she didn't get pissed at you. She has a mean temper and takes little prisoners.
Again there you go with the mindless preaching. For some strange reason you seem intent focussing on this when no one anywhere in the thread has belittled the effects of the disaster. We know and understand. Your bludgeoning it at us again and again is just wasting your own time as you churn this rhetoric out.

This thread is simply about how appropriate EA/BS actions in response to the disaster are. You've read the whole thread I assume but remain focussed on some sort of crusade of your own making rather than the topic in question. For Christs sake give it a rest.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

And you won't, because their only concern is that it affected them, regardless of the reason.

The freeze probably helped more than it hurt.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

So everyone that doesn't pay monthly is "abusing" it?

There's the self centrism we all know and love.

Good job champ, do yourself proud.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

This did help them
I wish we could do more

And?

This whole Thing help only the guys who circle. No one else.

This around 95 days plus the possibility to have GTC in advance and CC as backup is in place for a reason.

(Let me give you a hint: "its not for exploiting")

Iam not sure if you don't want to understand. Let me phrase it different.

"A personal tradegy somewhere in 1 of around 135 countries should not affect a global offered service if there is no technical "(something broken like hardware) reason for it".

Yes a storm and people maybe loosing their home is terrible. But this happens around the world where BS don't give a ****.

Do I need to be more direct?

It is the people own fault when they don't pay their accounts. Not mine or all the thousand others who pay now for a feature which is basically the last real unique one of the whole game.

Status
Not open for further replies.