• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish and Patch today (Read post #292 before posting))

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Characters isn't that bad. Prolly still lose a few subscriptions over this but not near as many as if it was 2 weeks per account. I could see a lot more subscriptions being stopped for that.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok I did a little digging in on the shard shield for answers.... hre is the gist of it kiddies
Each shield will give after 30 days a token, this is good for 1 move to the shard of the shield chosen.
To return you will need a shield of your home shard and 1 token from said shield in hand when you "jump" to the destination of your shield.
You may only move 1 character on this account in the time fraim of the cool down of 25 hours.
Example:
Account : Joublee (not a real account)
Shard of origin: Origin (first shard on list so used it)
Shard of Destination: Atlantic (most used destination so used)
Traveler name: JOE
So DDT needs to go to Atlantic for a shopping spree, gets 1 each token from his shields (1 origin 1 atlantic)
Loads up bank and his pack, sets off for his trip. DDT has made sure ther is room for his character to go to.
Hits token for Atlantic and gets through the load in screen and is sent off to shop.
Within the hour he can log in Atlantic and get JOE to go shopping.
His character JOE has a timer of 25 hours from log in to go before DDT can use the return token.
This timer is account bound also so no other character on any other shard can use any token to move.
SO ..........
With the change they are making it only effects the time of return of JOE to 2 weeks later.
NO you cant use another character on that account to go places.
The timer is account bound. So your stuck.
No statement was made if they are changing the numbr of characters per account who can use the shields tokens at one time.
In essence it is safe to assume that the 1 move per account timer for moving is going to be the same.
The shields hold 12 months of tokens. You do not have to pick them off the shields, and there for do not have a storage problem.
You just loose those months you do not use....

You dont want to know the words out of my mouth at this one kiddo's. Fair or foul this sux's.
I dont care who duped or not or how or why this change is needed... 2 weeks is too damn long.
Those of you clapping with glee because something was done to hurt those of us who have them "CAN IT".
Most of us are real vets of the game and got this item in good faith of its use.
I for one am not a happy camper... very far from it.
And not for what you think..
I am disapointed in how this was put to the general public and its short fuse timing.
I expected a better delivery and a clear cut reason for it.
Lady Storm - I certainly appreciate you sharing this information with us and while I'm sure you source is good, I certainly hope that this is not correct.

If an actual Dev gave you this information then that would be upsetting just as much if not more than the change itself that they can't even be bothered to come and give us this information directly & officially. Their handling of this situation has been very poor in my opinion.

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't make much of a difference, people aren't going to transfer characters to not be able to use them on their shard for two weeks.
Believe it or not, but people do like to transfer characters to actually play other shards...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Believe it or not, but people do like to transfer characters to actually play other shards...
No, really?

I was referring to these shields being used for cross shard trading which is the most popular use for them I would bet.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If he built up 150 tokens shouldn't it be his choice when to use them?
Would you rather have 3000$ cash to use as you wish or $3000 and you can only spend $40 of it every two weeks?
Be careful: you're making too much sense for the shield-haters. There was never a stipulation on how often or for what purposes shields could be used, and as such those are a player's own business.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haha, 17 years and owning a shield for almost every shard did me good! Ha! Some things never change. Got to love cheaters!

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about vet rewards that are useful for us long time vets besides a shield ? That might be to hard to do :( should of never went past pub 16

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, really?

I was referring to these shields being used for cross shard trading which is the most popular use for them I would bet.
Should have specified that in your post. For me, transfering if about experiencing another shard.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From reading everyones comments this is what i can summarize.

1. Changing the shields "rules" is like changing any other vet reward that you have already chosen. You made a choice based of certain rules and now all of a sudden they are changing with out explanation. In other words it would be like saying from now only you can only ride your ethy tiger every other day after you had already chosen an ethy tiger because you could ride it everyday.

2. The lack of explanation has people confused and therefore assuming things which make them more confused and angry. I think people would have been a little better off if the game had decided to warm us up to this idea rather than drop a bombshell. The original post explaining what was happening was not insightful in the least. It left way too many questions to be answered with no one to answer them.

3. People are very passionate about their shields and this game. Just look at how many comments in a matter of 7 hours this thread has had.

With that said I hope that the UO staff realizes how much this particular part of the game means to people and perhaps hold off on their decision. Furthermore I hope in the future they learn to explain things better before people form mobs of protest.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Just to clarify, Characters that use the shard shields will now only be allowed shard shield transfer once every 2 weeks. Normal character transfers are not affected.
TLDR as far as the thread goes. I realize a lot of people are upset. I am not in that group. I am rather indifferent. I don't understand the need to have to transfer every single day.
@Bleak The only thing I don't understand is why 2 weeks? Why not just 1 week? 1 week is the length of time it takes before we are allowed to delete a character after it's made.
I understand you bolded "Characters" for a reason, so there's really no big deal anyhow... but eh Why 2 weeks?

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When i came back i was shocked that they changed ethys and all other rewards... i have not picked any shields.. but can...

And you know what? i will.

Having the op to shard for free is sweet.

But I know these restrictions are a punch in the nuts... but only for people that have more shields then they can use... and that are used to how it is now.

I for one will use my 20+ picks for shard shields when i choose to. because why? it saves me rl money

you can still tx... just not as often.

but that said would be upset too if rules were changed....

but hell they were changed on the rest why not all vet rewards.....

being above was said.. when can the 1 yr vet get a shield... oh wait they are still account bound... which means what we have... is still unique

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When i came back i was shocked that they changed ethys and all other rewards... i have not picked any shields.. but can...

And you know what? i will.

Having the op to shard for free is sweet.

But I know these restrictions are a punch in the nuts... but only for people that have more shields then they can use... and that are used to how it is now.

I for one will use my 20+ picks for shard shields when i choose to. because why? it saves me rl money

you can still tx... just not as often.

but that said would be upset too if rules were changed....

but hell they were changed on the rest why not all vet rewards.....

being above was said.. when can the 1 yr vet get a shield... oh wait they are still account bound... which means what we have... is still unique
No other vet rewards have had their functionality greatly reduced, but increased (in that anyone can use them). If I'm wrong and there were other vet rewards that had their use changed after 3 years, feel free to correct me.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No other vet rewards have had their functionality greatly reduced, but increased (in that anyone can use them). If I'm wrong and there were other vet rewards that had their use changed after 3 years, feel free to correct me.
Nerfs in an MMO

Who woulda thunk

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
besides the "use for everyone" you are correct. and i understAnd that being weak... and upsetting. their should have been some type of talk.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i also think.there needs to be a reset to max rewards... for current players... due to all the vet changes.. but this will never happen. based on account age. :eek: *greed*

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you try to transfer a second character on the same account it will tell you you already have a transfer and the hours left before you may do so again. It dont matter if its on any shard, if its on the same account your allowed 1 character to go per waiting period.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. Changing the shields "rules" is like changing any other vet reward that you have already chosen. You made a choice based of certain rules and now all of a sudden they are changing with out explanation. In other words it would be like saying from now only you can only ride your ethy tiger every other day after you had already chosen an ethy tiger because you could ride it everyday.
Remember that when you get two jacks, you want a king and a deuce, except at night, when you want a queen and a four — "Fizzbin Rules According to Kirk" (2268 edition).

Shackles

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
There are a lot of different opinions and personalities regarding this middle of the night change.
I ask that people for a minute look at this as non biased as possible....

Regardless of whether shields should have been added or not, have been exploited or not, are unfair or not... You cannot deny the fact that they were added, and they were added with specific terms of use....
At a reduced items count (no followers) you can use these tokens to transfer to any shard you have chosen a shield for, every 24 hours. That was the deal right? That has been the deal for a very long time...
So again regardless of if you think people are just being cry babies.. isn't it bad business practice to so severely nerf a reward like this? Especially without a reason or explanation?

I'm sorry, I don't complain, and I have the up-most respect and compassion for broadsword... but this? this is just completely ridiculous and unacceptable without some sort of explanation and or REFUND of the rewards we picked.

That would be like tomorrow them announcing that all vet house teleportals now also have charges too.. or lighhouses will no longer function to retrieve your boats... or davies lockers will now only hold 15 maps... Its the SAME thing.. people would be like.. uhm... what?? can I please have my pick back? Now please stop acting as if shield holders don't have a right to be upset... they really do. This is very unprofessional...

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you try to transfer a second character on the same account it will tell you you already have a transfer and the hours left before you may do so again. It dont matter if its on any shard, if its on the same account your allowed 1 character to go per waiting period.
Lady Storm is right b/c I just tested it. I transferred a character then attempted to transfer a 2nd character from the same account and the system wouldn't let the 2nd character transfer. To convert the transfer from account based to character based seems like a significant change. I'll be surprised if it really is converted to a character timer AND if it can be implemented without introducing other issues.

This really sucks b/c Sonoma is a dead shard. The only way to get wares is to make the trip to Atlantic but who the hell wants to wait 2 weeks to get items you need on your home shard?

Kyl Drysden

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm not a shield lover by any means. Heck, I don't even hate them actually. Really, I could care less. I won't use them, other than for decoration purposes if I ever did obtain one(14 years is a pretty long time.) So if people want to use them, be my guest. It's not going to effect my playing experience at all.

With that said, this is a horrible move. It really is a slap in the face. It's sort of like when the Baltimore Colts up and moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night, with literally no warning whatsoever. It was before my time, sure, but anyone who is a football nut knows that story.

Simply put, this is horrible business practice. Whether it directly effects you or not, you have to agree that you can't just implement a change like this without notice. Imagine logging in and you were greeted with a patch. You then come here to see a post about said patch, and in it, you read about a drastic change to a system that YOU use. No warning, no communication prior to the patch. They just did it.

Do people exploit the shields? This is UO, so of course people do. But I can't help but think, "If my account was 14+ years old, what else would I have left to do? Trading on other shards it is!" With every dungeon having been crawled, every spawn having been done, and being in a game where really, the only end game is to collect rares and make gold, what else is there to do other than selling your rares for a better price on another shard?

To be honest, this leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Again, I don't/can't use the darn things, nor do I think I ever would if I could. I came back home to UO to settle down, and hope Broadsword would take the game in the direction it deserves. Implementing changes without warning is bad business. It's a move that I can't really get on board with.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Lady Storm is right b/c I just tested it. I transferred a character then attempted to transfer a 2nd character from the same account and the system wouldn't let the 2nd character transfer.
You've always had to wait between transfers that's nothing new.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I know, I've not been in game for 3 months as I asked you all ((http://stratics.com/community/threads/upcoming-delayed-publish-does-not-do-it-for-me.317716/))) how I should go about dropping my castles in my previous post as the 'next' Publish was not looking to be fun...WOW, was I right , so this topic has caught my eye after having a google update for UO and the word PUBLISH alerting me to this thread...

I am not sure if I have this right, but, IF this is truly for worrying about CHARACTER transfers (two examples I can think of):
1) it does NOTHING for people that may have been hacking/cheating/whatever as the same have accounts with newb slots they delete and create to avoid the 2-week wait
2) it could prevent certain chars from hitting shard after shard, night after night, for EM event rares...just thinking a bit if that was a desired impact here

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
could it be for server issues... something we are over seeing.... a lack of resources... a lag on servers... something...

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
could it be for server issues... something we are over seeing.... a lack of resources... a lag on servers... something...
If that's the case, it would be like having a splinter in your finger, and the doctor cuts your hand off. Did he get rid of the splinter? Yes.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i always to try and understand the logic... i guess its yet to come.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im using my fisher who needs to get back home to run her vendor. All other chars on the account are fully developed ofcourse..they are 15 years.. and to delete one is not an option. I can stay home for monts but then I help friends and it can be many trips to different shards all of a sudden. Pvp suits off our shard deco home from other. I have 2 Europa shields and 12 others I think. Ready to pick more in a few months. This is very dissapointing. I cant let my fisher sit on another shard , she need to do a few with 24 hour between and get back to fishing. Same goes for all chars on that account.

Gedgerez Tesherd

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I play this game for pvp & specific tactical bardic pvm challenges. I however do not play this game for items, vet rewards, or vet status. I will agree that this sudden update was rather unorthodox on how it was shoved onto the public spur of the moment. However this could of been FAR worse if it were account bound. The fact that we can have seven character slots makes this a mere slap on the wrist. For those of whom with seven developed character slots, I'm sure it may have some minimal effect on each low pop shard economy, assuming the person doesn't want one stuck on other servers for two weeks. As well as those whom lack on soulstones to make room for a disposable 'transfer slot' to delete upon arriving at their destination. We live, & adapt to the world as needed (including in UO).

I particularly do not care for the status of my set of shard shields, whether or not they get deleted, or nerf'd isn't any of my concern. The intent of my post is to show that I am not going to let items stand in the way of my enjoyment.

You can nerf our shard shields, but you can never nerf...

OUR FREEDOM! *roars*

Braveheart.JPG

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The big questions are...Why is the change needed and why is it being rushed out as a seperate publish.

The Old Man
Yeah 2 weeks between transfers appears to be a nerf for the reason of nefring and nothing else. It wont make anyone buy any more transfer tokens from the shop. It will only slow down our game play and nothing else.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The big questions are...Why is the change needed and why is it being rushed out as a seperate publish.

The Old Man
im a man of science, i use empirical thought for everything i do.
so this is what has been ringing around in my head all night.
why.
this is a flailing about thing they have done, someone just dove across the room to dive and grab a plate that was falling to the floor...
nothing about this screams forethought.
they are trying to plug a hole with a quick fix.
a hole that apparently is big enough for a quick knee jerk publish that they KNOW was gonna piss everyone off.
i have to assume that the ends justify the means.

If that's the case, it would be like having a splinter in your finger, and the doctor cuts your hand off. Did he get rid of the splinter? Yes.
or in this case maybe its cut off the toe to save the foot.
save the foot to save the leg.
save the leg to save the life.

so ya this sucks but i know they wouldn't do this and take all this hate for a silly reason.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Phew! none of this was here when I logged off last night.
Am I understanding this right?
If I take 'fred' to shard B, then Fred can't go back to A - or on to C for 2 weeks? But Sid - who is a character already on shard B can go to A in 25 hours?
Two weeks later Fred and Sid can swap back?

oh @Poo we have, in UO Trade Hall and UO Rares, two recently added thread prefixes. 'Transfer Request' and 'Transfer Offer'.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra,

as far as I understand this thread, we are talking of...

...the annihilation of UO
...total war between the devs and the vets
...the end of the world as we know it

:gee:

Thank god, I am only a 8 year-vet, hehehe

:banana:

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to know the real reasons for this change? Please spell out clearly to everyone if it's account bound every two weeks or can we use another character from the same account to move items acquired after the 24 hour cool down period? Is this in effect now or is it coming soon, next month etc. so that I can go and collect all my items from various shards that I accumulated the last 16 years? This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth after supporting this game since almost the beginning, great way to piss off your most loyal customers! Time to reduce from 6 accounts to 2 or 3 and save some money. If your going to do this I would like to trade in my extra shard shields for garden sheds so that I have more storage since I'm closing some accounts. So back to my original question why are these changes going into effect? BTW I very rarely post a complaint about the game that I have enjoyed playing since pre trammel but this is just an awefull idea.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This is awesome, I haven't seen a slobber knocker in awhile, lol. You can smell the passion!

Hmmmm 7 characters, each can transfer every 2 weeks. This is really a problem? No one should possibly have enough tokens to do this that often anyway.

Seriously I have 3 characters I play. I play my dexxer, my mage, and my crafter. Cause we all have our favorites. For the most part I don't really care what my other 4 are doing usually. That means every week I could do a free turn around with no real effect to my play style. And in general everyone is like that. I don't know anyone that uses all 7 characters each week. Tuesday is tamer night! lol

I do understand why some are upset. It was really wrong to just spring this without a really good explanation. If there is a bug it should be fixed. I have no proof of, but I highly suspect there is a long standing duping bug. There are vendors I could name that have a constant supply of the same server birth rares, how does that happen? I mean really? Exploiters should be banned, bugs should be fixed. That's the true solution.

Now lets say 100 people actually drop accounts. Which I highly doubt they will. I've seen this before lol. You could have banned 25 people who were actually exploiting and done a much better job. You would have taken a real stand against exploiting. You would have struck fear into the heart of the people that will continue to exploit and continue to look for new ways to do so. Got rid of some bad eggs, and kept the loyal honest folks happy.

I do like that maybe if we have an event on Great Lakes maybe a million people won't show up. An issue that was just raised in the Great Lakes dev chat just days ago.

In general though I see this as a very minor issue. The more accounts you have just makes the work arounds even easier. I don't see the sky falling. Please feel free to start the fires and burn me at the stake. ;) Breath people :)

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Petra and everyone,

Just talking shard shield transfers here. There are two camps:

Some believe that this is character based. And the other camp believes it is Account based.

I myself believe the 2 week wait is account based. (I hope I am wrong!)

On one thing I think we all can agree, 1) The communication about this change was lacking. 2) Everyone wants this clarified asap.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra,

as far as I understand this thread, we are talking of...

...the annihilation of UO
...total war between the devs and the vets
...the end of the world as we know it

:gee:

Thank god, I am only a 8 year-vet, hehehe

:banana:
:D Some folk do love to exaggerate. The game existed for years with no such thing as a shard transfer. Many people play quite happily on one shard without them. My characters don't go travelling.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Isn't the game at the point we could just have Atlantic and Great Lakes? Put all the other servers on one shard anyway? Just kidding... sorta. Would save a lot of tokens.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My dad's account finally turned 14 years on Sunday and I was able to select shard shields. And now they change how often you can use them. I waited all this time, now selecting more than 2 shields means you will slowly build up a stockpile of transfer tokens that you cant use. Excellent.
Yeah...if they really nerfed them this much I wonder if we shouldn't petition for a Vet Reward refund lol because same thing for me, just claimed four of them a few days ago.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clarify, Characters that use the shard shields will now only be allowed shard shield transfer once every 2 weeks. Normal character transfers are not affected.
I'd rather compromise and have it be 1 week lol but that is more acceptable than account bound 2 week voids. A 2 week round trip per char isn't that bad.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear EA, Broadsword and Team,
About this 2 weeks, will I complain then accept it and move on? Yes, as expected. Will I accept less houses for me and move on. Yes. That should have also been expected.
What I cannot accept this time is the fact that only one of you came forward while the rest hid. :( No new toy will ever make up for that.

So who exactly wins in this situation? Not me. If you think cheaters were stopped, well yes for a few days maybe. We all lost here. All.
Sincerely, Cyrah

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't the game at the point we could just have Atlantic and Great Lakes? Put all the other servers on one shard anyway? Just kidding... sorta. Would save a lot of tokens.
I had always sort of thought that was kind of the side point of the shields. To allow vets to move goods back and forth between these larger populated shards to the dead shards. I'm waiting to see how this change will impact the ability of the people who bring me things I can't find on my own shard from Atlantic. I'm not in a position where I want to transfer my characters to GL or ATL, nor do I wish to start over.

Even if the change won't actually impact the ability to get goods from Atlantic, I think the communication - or lack there of - from the development team has been the largest failure of this entire to do. Broadsword proclaimed loudly that now that they were out from under the boot of EA (metaphorically) that things would be different & better. This just smacks of the same old song with a different title. While I don't believe that the Dev's should consult with the player base on changes they wish to make, I do believe that they need to properly communicate game changes and explain the "why" of large changes such as this one.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The oddest part of this entire "nerf" happens to be why? Thats what I am failing to figure out.

It cannot have much to do with the transferring of goods because if a 120 Magery Scroll goes on sale for 8 million on one shard and Player A is unable to grab it to resell on Atlantic, Player B will. A weak example but who really cares.

And since they changed how EM rewards are given it isn't like "Garg thrower master of the universe" with his 2 billion gold suit is needed to hit every single event anymore.

Since the Shields only give 1 token a month..(If there was a cheat which made them give more then fix that).. and a player saves up 20 I think he/she should be able to travel 20 times in a single day if they wished.

BG

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have the Devs commented on whats actaully happening and not what folks assume will happen this yet.....its gonna get bloody hot for sure

I assume..... that i have 5 different shields.... so i can claim 5 tokens [one form each shield] and use them one after the other every 24 hours like its always been!!!!! ...but i can only do this once every 2 weeks with any account bound char....if i want to do it again.....i simply have to wait 2 weeks.......seems ok to me if this is the case .....its only a small penalty if so for a highly powered reward that i still myself would like to see dropped down to miniumn 10 years play and not 14

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously!?! Dev Team Seriously!?! At least have the decency to
come here and explain to us almost 17 year old vets the why of this.
I do not know about an exploit, hell they have been in this game since
day one. But to punish the majority because of a few jerks is not right.
You sure as hell have not fixed all the scripting, so why this? This really
does not affect me this much or at all actually as I leave my char for at
least 2 weeks. BUT, what else is going to get changed in the middle of the
night like a sneak attack?:frown2: