• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish and Patch today (Read post #292 before posting))

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game
2014 Aug 06 21:11 GMT
Good afternoon,,

We are putting out a new client patch which should fix the Japaense cliloc errors tonight . All servers will receive a publish during their normal maintenance hours to change the way the 14th Anniversary Shard Shields function. They will now only allow transfers once every 2 weeks. You will see a disturbance in Character transfers until all shards get the same server version.

Thanks everyone!

UO Team

Continue reading...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
omg. good thing i didnt choose more atlantic shields. yay!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am still waiting for my Siege Shield.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if I have 10 shields will I only be able to do two transfers a month? Or will each shield have its own two week timer?

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What Podolak Said. If you are limiting shard shield transfers to 2 a month, then having more than 2 shields on an account is pointless. This seems a bit silly.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to change the way the 14th Anniversary Shard Shields function. They will now only allow transfers once every 2 weeks.
My dad's account finally turned 14 years on Sunday and I was able to select shard shields. And now they change how often you can use them. I waited all this time, now selecting more than 2 shields means you will slowly build up a stockpile of transfer tokens that you cant use. Excellent.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's a horrible change if it's 2 transfers TOTAL, not 2 per shard. Because yeah, that's TOTALLY worth a publish.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Game
2014 Aug 06 21:11 GMT
Good afternoon,,

We are putting out a new client patch which should fix the Japaense cliloc errors tonight . All servers will receive a publish during their normal maintenance hours to change the way the 14th Anniversary Shard Shields function. They will now only allow transfers once every 2 weeks. You will see a disturbance in Character transfers until all shards get the same server version.

Thanks everyone!

UO Team

Continue reading...

What exactly does this fix? Too many long term, loyal payers?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So wait a minute, lemme understand. I can transfer to Atlantic, then I have to wait two weeks to use the token to return? Guess they lost too much $$ on transfer tokens from the store... They better come up with some really fine vet rewards then, cause I won't be choosing a shield again.

I would love to hear the logic behind this move, and also why they didnt warn ahead of time so people wouldnt be wasting a pick getting a shield, since this was in the works.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What? So i can only transfer twice a month per shard or per all of my shields? Either way this is extremely uncool. So many of us have worked our buts off to have a 14yr account for these shields and now you change it... with out a discussion?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this is a bit much at 2 weeks, I can see 1 week per shield. You do know this is in retalliation for the crybabys who wanted shields who didnt earn them.... now they to most if this stays the same is now pointless unless your planning a small shipment a month a round trip will now be a month long.......

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dev team can you break down specifically how this is expected to work. We got the gist of it but obviously theirs the questions on specifics.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
are we getting our choices back at least?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
much more discussion needed before this hits the game. so sudden and abrupt there is bound to be tons of backlash for this.

Dregg

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
My dad's account finally turned 14 years on Sunday and I was able to select shard shields. And now they change how often you can use them. I waited all this time, now selecting more than 2 shields means you will slowly build up a stockpile of transfer tokens that you cant use. Excellent.
I heard a report of an exploit with the shields that allowed you to get more tokens than intended. Not sure how long it has been out but it does penalize the people who have accounts old enough for the shield rewards and played w/o exploiting the system. It also penalizes future accounts (mine included) who have been saving up their vet picks for the shields once the account becomes of age.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree I claimed more than 1 shield for my home shard and for atlantic. So now im being punished for doing so??

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah this is total BS. I have 5 shields of the same shard so WTF is the point now?
Same here I have couple accounts with 15-20 shields with many doubles, triples etc, to main servers I travel to. I have one account with 6-7 atlantic shields. If they do it this way we should be able to turn our shields in and get our vet reward choice back.

As someone stated this should of been discussed and decided this isn't the right way to do it.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please explain the logic behind this. Is it to get more players to buy transfer token at that odd store?
Also be more specific as to what this means. Please.

I have shard shields for 6 different shards. Are you saying I can only use my Atlantic token one time in 2 weeks, my others the same way? Once per two weeks? Each token has a two week wait? Or all transfers?

This is not a good thing to do when so many waver about even staying in UO. I am wavering big time now. When rules are passed that make no sense to me, it then makes no sense to stay. Just saying maybe rethink this.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*Sets down a half full glass of good old Moonglow Red, Get's up from the fire, and heads out the tavern door*

Time to move a few items.

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think this is a bit much at 2 weeks, I can see 1 week per shield. You do know this is in retalliation for the crybabys who wanted shields who didnt earn them.... now they to most if this stays the same is now pointless unless your planning a small shipment a month a round trip will now be a month long.......
If they didn't change shields over the last three years due to the argument of shields v non-shields, I highly doubt they did at this point in the show. However, I would love to hear an explanation for this change from the team because if you're right that's just plain bad. I wasn't a fan of shard shields, but this change is too much.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow. This is swift kick in the groin, Broadsword. Way to alienate your customer base and erode goodwill. :talktothehand:

And no, I don't expect them to make a single comment regarding the mountain of negative feedback from this. They never do when they do something colossally stupid.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So many people in this thread who used the exploit...

In other news: Even if you can only use a shard shield xfer once every 2 weeks, you are still getting $40 value each month. For a year, thats $480. I wish any other MMO gave that to me for being a veteran.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Possibility 1

Account can only transfer once every two weeks with shard shield tokens

Possibility 2 (which I believe is correct)

Account can only transfer with one token from one shard shield once every two weeks per every shard shield they own.

Possibility 3 (Based on Bleak's Post Below)

One Account Character can only transfer with one token from one shard shield once every two weeks per every shard shield they own. Thus another character on same account can still transfer with a token from the same shield, then also be stuck waiting for two weeks.

Possibilities 1 + 2 are very poor changes that punish decent players. If there is an issue with the current system, there must be another possible solution. This should have been openly brainstormed and voted on before using these arbitary heavy handed tactics that players are tired of, and quitting UO as a result. Can't we develop a player friendly relationship with our developers? I know players have demanded a community coordinator for years. Stratics staff doesn't not qualify for this position.

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So many people in this thread who used the exploit...

In other news: Even if you can only use a shard shield xfer once every 2 weeks, you are still getting $40 value each month. For a year, thats $480. I wish any other MMO gave that to me for being a veteran.
WOW way to generalize there. I'm pretty confident most people in this thread don't know what the exploit is. I didn't even know it existed.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
WOW way to generalize there. I'm pretty confident most people in this thread don't know what the exploit is. I didn't even know it existed.
Ender, if I was going to point out specific people I would have. I know who knew/used it, they know who they are too.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Same here I have couple accounts with 15-20 shields with many doubles, triples etc, to main servers I travel to. I have one account with 6-7 atlantic shields. If they do it this way we should be able to turn our shields in and get our vet reward choice back.

As someone stated this should of been discussed and decided this isn't the right way to do it.
Sure thing, just turn in all the gold you made off those trips you took ;-)

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just sat back and thought this out... I have a full set of shields on 2 of my accounts.
Now I do alot of work with my shields sometimes when I need things for a new character my best workers are on main shard... so I ship the things I cant get on shard due to low pop or just plain no one there to buy from.
Mind you I buy transfer tokens from UO Store.. and I keep some on hand all the time.
This means if its once per 2 weeks per ACCOUNT as the shileds are singularly 1 account bound... its round trip use is 1 per month period.
Now IF the Dev mean 2 weeks per SHIELD.. this makes it a whole different story. You can use a dasiy chain to go around and then home twice per month.
IDK i cant see how that can be ether thinking about it.
Mesanna please clear this up as you just threw a monkey wrench in the works.
WE ARE VERY CONFUSED!

P.S.: Was just on 2 shards and boy................ the natives are ready to hang the dev!

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just sat back and thought this out... I have a full set of shields on 2 of my accounts.
Now I do alot of work with my shields sometimes when I need things for a new character my best workers are on main shard... so I ship the things I cant get on shard due to low pop or just plain no one there to buy from.
Mind you I buy transfer tokens from UO Store.. and I keep some on hand all the time.
This means if its once per 2 weeks per ACCOUNT as the shileds are singularly 1 account bound... its round trip use is 1 per month period.
Now IF the Dev mean 2 weeks per SHIELD.. this makes it a whole different story. You can use a dasiy chain to go around and then home twice per month.
IDK i cant see how that can be ether thinking about it.
Mesanna please clear this up as you just threw a monkey wrench in the works.
WE ARE VERY CONFUSED!
I am not confused cancel.jpg

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. This is swift kick in the groin, Broadsword. Way to alienate your customer base and erode goodwill. :talktothehand:

And no, I don't expect them to make a single comment regarding the mountain of negative feedback from this. They never do when they do something colossally stupid.
Just to clarify, Characters that use the shard shields will now only be allowed shard shield transfer once every 2 weeks. Normal character transfers are not affected.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please give the community clarification. Will we only be able to use use ANY shield tokens once every two weeks... or a token from a specific shield once every two weeks?

When I selected my shields, I did so with the rules they were given to us. I hope there will be a way for those of us who chose shields to get our choices back.

To limit them without any explanation nor reassurance that our annual choices weren't made in vain... is the fuel for a community uproar.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just to clarify, Characters that use the shard shields will now only be allowed shard shield transfer once every 2 weeks. Normal character transfers are not affected.
So, for further clarification:

If one were to make newbie chars to use for all their xfers, they wouldnt have to wait the 2 week timer, since you seem to imply the timer is character based?

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This HAS to be PER SHIELD. If you have, say an ALT shield / Token and a LS Shield / Token you can use the Atl once every 2 weeks and the LS once every 2 weeks. Thinking that way, you can use your LS token to get back from Atl after the normal 24 hour period. And where was this mentioned anywhere before is was just going to happen?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the clarification. Will there be an opportunity for those who have shields to turn them back in for choices? Many people wouldn't have made the choice had they known of these new rules.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not confusing. Uo team has shat on everyone with vet accounts because a few learned of some dupe that the team cannot fix. :/ So good players that saved years for tokens is penalized. That and prolly a lil greed with it. Uo loses a lot on selling real xfers since they did the vet reward shields...

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hoping they rethink patching this...