• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Pub 108 Release 3 Comes to TC1

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How? You know how the system can access a closed account? People keep assuming it can, you all know the danger of assuming I presume?

If the player cared about his vet rewards, why didn't he put them in his bank? I've packed up houses for a few people who quit and left me access to their accounts to do so. EVERYTHING of value went into the banks of their characters before I deleted their account details from my pc.

I don't do IDOCs. I'd rather play game content than scavenge carcases of fallen houses. You can all pancake about what YOU think the devs should do, but none of you give half a thought to whether what you want is technically possible. Try asking instead of demanding - you might actually get an answer.
By their own admission they are going against that players desires... they say that they care about what that player wanted to do with their anniversary rewards is the most preposterous bunch of crap ever... They are not giving that player back his rewards... they are not then doing what that player wanted... that player quit and therefore he wanted to let them go to the people by allowing them to be still in the house when it drops... so they are going against that players wish...

You want to play a game ... well I do and part of that playing of the game is in scavenging an IDOC... They have been around since the dawn of UO... and yes it's a playstyle... it is something MANY folk enjoy... and did enjoy... I quit doing them long time ago because I couldn't compete... But what I'm saying is that their excuse for deleting the Vet Rewards is HYPOCRITICAL and NONSENSICAL.. because they are presuming that this is the player who got thems right... well not if they don't give that player back those rewards they chose... Are they returning picks to that player should that player decide to return to UO? NO they are deleting his picks... and removing them completely from the game so should that player come back he is out all those picks he once had and has NO WAY to get them back but to wait another 10 to 20 years of playing??? Or buy them from a Vet who doesn't use their picks. Or buy them from a 3rd party selling website that has 900 of them sitting in a chest somewhere...

And just how is that helpful to the returning vet??? How is that good for people and how is that what that returning vet wanted???

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Either they approve of IDOC hunting as a playstyle or they don't, I've never done it myself, but I'm sure some people find it fun and other people just want to keep items to remind them of lost friends. Anyway, EVERY item in a house that falls was earned in some way by another player, so this garbage about vet rewards being special is just ridiculous, if they actually believed that then why were they not on the 'poof' list from the start?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the player cared about his vet rewards, why didn't he put them in his bank? I've packed up houses for a few people who quit and left me access to their accounts to do so. EVERYTHING of value went into the banks of their characters before I deleted their account details from my pc.
He didn't so we want to put them in our bank. Or on display.

I have at least 100 statuettes. I love em. why do they need to be deleted?

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well said @Rafman.

I agree 100%. I think that's the biggest issue people don't see is that there is no magical wave of a wand to fix the scripting issue. I've asked before to those that think it's a simple fix about who will enforce banning of scripters and how many resources it would take to build some complex automated logic to detect illegal programs (if it's even possible). It requires resources that the Devs simply doesn't have these days so they are doing what they can with the resources they have.
Ummm, EYES all one has to do is attend an IDOC and Wham ! your Caught and Banned, Wow that was a tough one to figure out

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
By their own admission they are going against that players desires... they say that they care about what that player wanted to do with their anniversary rewards is the most preposterous bunch of crap ever...
You mean by the admission of someone who said that someone said an admission? You mean someone said that someone said that they care about something?

Sounds legit, you can buy your torches and pitchforks at my shop in Barter Town!

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was able to ask Kyronix about guildstone he said they are 255+ stones and they cant redeed them. So I take it everything that was placed as a deed will go poof now.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting you say that.... you seemed to say differently in your thread about how commission vendors are ruining the UO Markets. Based on the below excerpt from your post where you also provided a shot of the script names in some program, I think you likely have run at least one script. Of course you googled them or got them from someone else though right? Give me a break :hahaha:
No, I have never ran 1 single script on my computer, any of my computers. Like I said in that post, that is from a screen shot one of "The Crews" group members sent me that he was running. It was a ICQ group ran by one of the website guys... one of the mods here also commented verifying that he was in the group too. They tried hard to get me to help script (they needed help timing and running shards) and assured me that I would get nothing at IDOCs if I did not. I told them it was okay, I did not want to run illegal programs, I did not believe in it and thought it was hurting the game. I did not want to cheat at the game I met my wife on.... cheating in a game as hard as you can for some pixels is freaking lame. They told me that was okay, but don't be sad though... because I really had no shot at things like deeds or glacial items.

They disbanded the group because I was coming on here and outing everybody. That was when Norrington said yes, he too was in the group and it did indeed exist. They disbanded the group and remade it a day later after removing every single person. A few of the people didn't script actually, one ran an auction house for everyone.... a few transferred items between shards.... I was just a cool cat atm to them and was invited in, until I saw how they ran by one of the group members. I was extremely disheartened by it and eventually started what I do now.... fighting against those guys.

A few of those same group members came on here explaining exactly what they were doing for Mesanna and the Devs, and suggested they delete pathfinding to fix it all. To this day pathfinding remains.

[Edit: And I never officially outed anyone... just the group in general. But it was a very huge to do at the moment, and everyone knew who we were talking about because the group had so many well known people. Some other group members were posting here as well, look all of that up if you want, I have no interest in proving anything to you. The groups still exists to this day, I was told this directly... albeit I do not know who is involved any more personally as they disbanded the whole group and the leader claimed to quit on here publicly to all, albeit for different reasons.] I was mockingly called "Noble Polaris" by someone once... for my refusal to cheat like others do. This is my family's game... I hope anyone who has cheated in it is banned... no offense to anyone I know out there.]

Last edited:

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was able to ask Kyronix about guildstone he said they are 255+ stones and they cant redeed them. So I take it everything that was placed as a deed will go poof now.
Unless someone test it and say it is so i would say no

Going by the patch notes it is what it say it is, water barrels ,water tubs,bugged stuck in a box items,and now also guild stone deeds all of these are older items so I would guess that is where the problem is

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thank gods I'm sitting on a massive amount of vet picks. I'll be making a killing soon.
Doubtful. Isn't this the same person in previous threads that talk about they hardly have a million gold to their name and just have a bunch of stuff across their accounts and would never sell any of it. Good attempt at a threat though I guess...

I don't do IDOCs. I'd rather play game content than scavenge carcases of fallen houses. You can all pancake about what YOU think the devs should do, but none of you give half a thought to whether what you want is technically possible. Try asking instead of demanding - you might actually get an answer.
:ten::ten::ten::ten:
Nailed it.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ummm, EYES all one has to do is attend an IDOC and Wham ! your Caught and Banned, Wow that was a tough one to figure out
Oh it's that simple? Because again as someone said before, when they see 30-50 toons at an IDOC it's that easy to see? If a scripter has just 2 accounts on the opposite side of the house, how do they determine that's the same person? I mean at least put a little thought into it before you write something.

I guess you are also one of those people who think world hunger is an easy fix too right? Just give everyone food, duh!

:facepalm:

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oh it's that simple? Because again as someone said before, when they see 30-50 toons at an IDOC it's that easy to see? If a scripter has just 2 accounts on the opposite side of the house, how do they determine that's the same person? I mean at least put a little thought into it before you write something.

I guess you are also one of those people who think world hunger is an easy fix too right? Just give everyone food, duh!

Yes, its actually that Simple.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deleting Veteran Rewards? What is wrong with them being in IDOC's? Is their point to get people to use Gold Selling Sites even more? Do they not realize that the more they take out of the the game, the more money these sites will make on items like Veteran Rewards and Resources. The prices for these are already high for other greedy reasons, but what happens to those prices when you take some of them out of the game? Are they trying to fix the economy through IDOC's? Bad decision.

I find it funny that they are worried about the Gold Selling Sites, but are just giving them more business with their decisions lately. What are they going to accomplish? The only accomplishment I see is they have successfully given the 3rd party sites more business. I have said this many times, that the Dev team is working with these scripters/sites, and their decisions are making that statement true. They dont want to stop any of the scripting or gold sites as it makes them money. Deleting all these items just assures that they get a piece of the pie no matter what.

Next we will start to see Veteran Rewards in the store.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So here is an FYI for all you pompom wavers who think this is a GREAT publish... Just found out that if you resize your house and your stuff falls to the ground guess what... all your shard tokens and vet rewards poof.... enjoy that one... I can almost hear the screaming now... I'm willing to bet that all your stackables will poof as well...

Oh and also this is then the end of even a controlled player event IDOC because yes... all the good stuff will poof... Think on that.

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like this, we shouldnt have to create a dedicated char for idocing. Templates are cramped enough already.

And yes, it would have been a lot better to break the scripts...but for some reason reworking the whole system seemed to make more sense to some people
Oh well, I guess I can put wrestle back on soulstone and re-add Archery :)

Rafman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here is an FYI for all you pompom wavers who think this is a GREAT publish... Just found out that if you resize your house and your stuff falls to the ground guess what... all your shard tokens and vet rewards poof.... enjoy that one... I can almost hear the screaming now... I'm willing to bet that all your stackables will poof as well...

Oh and also this is then the end of even a controlled player event IDOC because yes... all the good stuff will poof... Think on that.
A house resize is not the same as an idoc. You should report this - they will fix it. House resize, or even purposefully demolishing your own house - shouldn't get rid of anything.

As for player run idoc events - not sure how often that even happens - but same as my first sentence. Instead of going through idoc stage - just "demolish" house. Items shouldn't be affected like an idoc. If they are - it's a bug, report it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait, so people use Follow to RP and now there's player run IDOCs ? wtf I need to get out more lol..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Scripters with only two accounts are not the issue.

By your logic the world should stop fighting against world hunger, because there are a couple guys you can't help.

Rafman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scripters with only two accounts are not the issue.

By your logic the world should stop fighting against world hunger, because there are a couple guys you can't help.
Let's assume the goal of the devs was to counter the blatant advantages scripters derive from idocs. If I was in charge of it - I figure 2 big school of thoughts in regards to strategy:

1. Change the system - to ensure many of those game mechanics they so easily exploit aren't as easy to exploit

2. Launch a campaign to try and ban as many cheaters as possible

Clearly they went with option 1. It was the right choice - 100%.

Just because they went with option 1 - it doesn't mean they can't also try to enforce option 2 alongside it. But thanks to these changes - the idoc playing field will be leveled big time. Which was the intent. So good - job well done on the UO Dev team. It's not a perfect system - and we wall want a few tweaks more here and there - but overall the system change was very well done.

As to option 2 - it goes back to the example I keep giving. Imagine you're a GM. Your job is to ban scripters. We're on atlantic - there's a luna idoc, there are around ~200 characters. House falls in ~20mins. You're in charge of banning scripters. How do you proceed? You can concentrate on those with two accounts or those with 20+ accounts - the choice is yours.

1. How do you identify the scripters? 200+ characters. Tons of lag. How can you tell?
2. You can't just ban without proof - you can't just look at a character - assume he's a newbie char, so odds are he's cheating - and ban. Has to be some sort of proof.

Much harder said then done.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you were in charge and went with option 2 would you of banned yourself for using an illegal script program? Or would you be a hypocrite and exclude yourself ?
i find it somewhat strange that you have such a big input on the subject of idoc cheating when historically you are a proven user of illegal activities

just can’t get my head around it

but to answer your question I would follow the gate out that up to 10 people are armed with 5 fully loaded pack animals each that usually go to Hanse hostel and mop them all up there. Before they then move onto the final location. I would do it stealthed as the idoc cheat makes sure they are alone before the loot sorting begins.That’s a start

find the loot houses and impound everything. Then trace all the players there and look into them you get the houses you start to hurt his RMT enterprise.
I would also check locations of large amounts of high end items like teleporters etc and check the houses for other items. If they are insanely stocked I would lock them out and investigate. I am talking houses with 20/30+ plat worth of high end goods. Then cross reference with other shards and see if there is a pattern

THEN the owners would have to REALLY convince me that these items were gained legally. a genuine player would be ok with this. tMat not so much

or maybe go to one of the dodgy sites and buy a low end item. Meet the seller ingame and investigate the Acct. What houses they are friended co owner of etc. And impound everything until a very long winded investigation is completed

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you were in charge and went with option 2 would you of banned yourself for using an illegal script program? Or would you be a hypocrite and exclude yourself ?
i find it somewhat strange that you have such a big input on the subject of idoc cheating when historically you are a proven user of illegal activities

but to answer your question I would follow the gate out that up to 10 people are armed with 5 fully loaded pack animals each that usually go to Hanse hostel and mop them all up there. Before they then move onto the final location. I would do it stealthed as the idoc cheat makes sure they are alone before the loot sorting begins.That’s a start

find the loot houses and impound everything. Then trace all the players there and look into them you get the houses you start to hurt his RMT enterprise.
I would also check locations of large amounts of high end items like teleporters etc and check the houses for other items. If they are insanely stocked I would lock them out and investigate. I am talking houses with 20/30+ plat worth of high end goods. Then cross reference with other shards and see if there is a pattern

THEN the owners would have to REALLY convince me that these items were gained legally. a genuine player would be ok with this. tMat not so much

or maybe go to one of the dodgy sites and buy a low end item. Meet the seller ingame and investigate the Acct. What houses they are friended co owner of etc. And impound everything until a very long winded investigation is completed
Or even, the moment a house falls, just look and see who has the backpacks, and packies, full, the moment of the drop. It's not rocket science. It just takes the DESIRE to actually do something about scripters. Rather than just make it "look like" something is being done, that has no effect. @Bleak @Kyronix Just an FYI, if you don't want to get your feelings hurt by the responses you get, to the content/changes, then perhaps you should consider what you are doing.

On a side note, I have actually suggested to one of the devs to buy an item/gold and "follow the trail". I have ALSO sent a link to the devs of a site some of the gold sellers use to offer their items/gold for USD, USING THE SAME NAMES/ICQ'S THEY USE IN GAME, as rares collectors/realters/brokers/IDOC'rs/etc.

One of the devs told that he/she was familiar with the site. When I asked why were those people not banned, are I heard back was *crickets*.

Last edited:

Rafman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thank you very much for being the first person to actually respond intelligently to this question - after I've asked this multiple times. "Ban the cheaters" is easy to say - I kept waiting for someone to provide the "how", and nobody seemed willing to step up.

First - I admit that the cheaters have gotten very, very lax. They open up one gate, and out of it steps 5-10 chars full of packies at a time. It's kind of obvious at that point. And that's only a couple of players probably being overtly obnoxious/obvious about it, since GM's dont do anything. Ban those guys once - the next time the smarten up. They don't gate all their chars in at the same time. They aren't all named the same. They don't all recall to same location after an idoc. etc. etc.

So after the first round of action where you can identify the super obvious cheaters who are being dumb - how do you handle round 2?
10 characters. All named differently. One recalls out to a house and logs out, one to a bank. Maybe they don't log that character back on for 1-2 more days to sort through loot. What if all 10 characters log out within the next 2-3 minutes - how do you follow them to their house?
Going back to my example of a luna house with 200 characters - which of the 200 characters do you follow? How can you tell whose who? You don't cheat yourself, do you? Let's assume no. You're one of the 200 characters at the idoc. You'll grab 2 backpacks of loot - and then recall to brit bank and log out. What if the 4 scripters do the same - get loot, go to bank, log out. How does GM tell whose cheating?

The point is it's extremely not-obvious.
Also - extremely time-consuming. Remember - they only have 1-2 full time GMs on staff, or possibly much less than that. The devs won't be doing investigations - it's GM's I assume.

Going back to my question of option 1 or 2 - I maintain this was the right way to go. Change the system to remove many of the game mechanics scripters found super easy to exploit, and level the playing field. This will have a much, much bigger impact than option 2 would have had.

It doesn't mean you can't still pursue option 2 - but you're talking about spending hours upon hours, and maybe even days/weeks at a time tracking a certain account activity just to ban one player. Cheating is rampant in uo. Banning 1, 2, 5 players won't do much. Most of those would just have new accounts to come back on the next few days.

Rafman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or even, the moment a house falls, just look and see who has the backpacks, and packies, full, the moment of the drop. It's not rocket science. It just takes the DESIRE to actually do something about scripters. Rather than just make it "look like" something is being done, that has no effect. @Bleak @Kyronix Just an FYI, if you don't want to get your feelings hurt by the responses you get, to the content/changes, then perhaps you should consider what you are doing.

On a side note, I have actually suggested to one of the devs to buy an item/gold and "follow the trail". I have ALSO sent a link to the devs of a site some of the gold sellers use to offer their items/gold for USD, USING THE SAME NAMES/ICQ'S THEY USE IN GAME, as rares collectors/realters/brokers/IDOC'rs/etc.

One of the devs told that he/she was familiar with the site. When I asked why were those people not banned, are I heard back was *crickets*.
I'm not defending the dev's efforts on this. It's true that with minimal effort - they'd be able to ban some cheaters very quickly. Some are very obvious about it. But that's the minority. And if they start getting banned - they'd adjust very quickly. Overall - this would have had very little effect in regards to making idocs more accessible and fair to everyone. This system revamp is much more efffective.

What if you get a backpack full of loot from an idoc. GM will ban you too, because you got a backpack, just because he assumes you're cheating too?

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm not defending the dev's efforts on this. It's true that with minimal effort - they'd be able to ban some cheaters very quickly. Some are very obvious about it. But that's the minority. And if they start getting banned - they'd adjust very quickly. Overall - this would have had very little effect in regards to making idocs more accessible and fair to everyone. This system revamp is much more efffective.

What if you get a backpack full of loot from an idoc. GM will ban you too, because you got a backpack, just because he assumes you're cheating too?
I thought it was clear that I was talking about the backpacks/packies that are full a split second after the drop (IE, the script looters). My bad.

Rafman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought it was clear that I was talking about the backpacks/packies that are full a split second after the drop (IE, the script looters). My bad.
I get that - but how can you tell?

Pretend you're a gm. Do you have all 200 player's backpacks and packie's packs open at once, to be able to monitor who loots what? How in the world do you even keep track? And what if you - Keith of Sonoma - gets lucky and loots a backpack full of loot the moment idoc falls, but without cheating. How can they tell the difference with you being a cheater or not?

Too hard to keep track of 200+ people at an idoc on atlantic? Ok - let's go to Sonoma - where there is only 9 characters at one idoc.

Same idea. 3 of those characters are scripters - and get a bunch of loot in their packs. But you - Keith of Sonoma - also manage to get loot. It's a big idoc, only 9 chars, you get lucky too.

How can the GM tell whose cheating between you and those 3 characters? Do you expect him to notice the split second faster the scripters got the loot? What if you just did very good, reacted quickly and looted quick yourself? Does he ban you instead, without proof?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

As @Rafman said, if you know this is a bug then report it as these aren't IDOCs and wouldn't have the barrels or fence. Let's be honest though you aren't going to report anything because as your post (and previous posts) suggest, you likely won't even log into TC1 to understand how the content works.

My question to you would be, is there a reason you are dropping your house to resize it with shard shields etc still on the wall (rather than banking them)? That seems like you are asking for trouble or just something to whine and complain about later when someone that might be walking by sees all your loot that you are trying to move into your newly placed plot and starts grabbing it. I'd intentionally go for the soulstones and vet rewards just so you had to pay to get them back. You can easily replace resources etc but it's a huge set back if you lose soulstones :devil:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How will they do that please? You can't attack the filled barrels till you've bashed your way through the barrel wall, and when you bash the inner barrels, the stuff goes into your backpack - so once it's broke, everyone loots in seconds. Also, what would the scripters be doing the IDOCs for, if the current build goes through? They can't target the 'good' stuff, because they don't know where it will be.

@MalagAste, you should probably report that as a bug, though everyone should know that a re-size counts as a demolish and they should pack all their stuff away safely first.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How will they do that please? You can't attack the filled barrels till you've bashed your way through the barrel wall, and when you bash the inner barrels, the stuff goes into your backpack - so once it's broke, everyone loots in seconds. Also, what would the scripters be doing the IDOCs for, if the current build goes through? They can't target the 'good' stuff, because they don't know where it will be.

@MalagAste, you should probably report that as a bug, though everyone should know that a re-size counts as a demolish and they should pack all their stuff away safely first.
I don't post on that forum... and as far as I can tell it's not a bug. It's a consequence of either poor coding or the IDOC fix....

Rafman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't post on that forum... and as far as I can tell it's not a bug. It's a consequence of either poor coding or the IDOC fix....
I posted for you.

Idocs are not the same as house resizes/demo'ing. It's a bug, or an oversight on their parts. It shouldn't be this way.

To others questioning why anyone would resize a house full of loot - it happens more than you think. Maybe players wouldn't resize a house that's completely full of loot - but often players are more lax when resizing these days. They don't bother fully emptying the house if it's in a quiet area. Maybe removes the high end rares - make sure no one around - resize - replace - and grab loot back really quick. All done in 10-15 seconds if house isn't too full, so minimal risk. None of the vet rewards, stackables or other such items should be being deleted in those cases.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well some people only have one house so they can't really put their stuff somewhere else... and some people just don't know what happens and insanely think it goes into some container... so yeah.... they do it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe they will fix it before they roll out WW? or will it be the usual bug, that gets put on the list?

time will tell

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I doubt they will do anything...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"m going to need to see a video of someones pack filling a split second after a house drops, or I"m calling shennanigans.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"m going to need to see a video of someones pack filling a split second after a house drops, or I"m calling shennanigans.
I doubt they would show a video. You never seen the Gargs at an IDOC before? 5 seconds the whole house was empty. The garg takes his packies to the trash can in Luna and drops things in there for 30 minutes or more.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's assume the goal of the devs was to counter the blatant advantages scripters derive from idocs. If I was in charge of it - I figure 2 big school of thoughts in regards to strategy:

1. Change the system - to ensure many of those game mechanics they so easily exploit aren't as easy to exploit

2. Launch a campaign to try and ban as many cheaters as possible

Clearly they went with option 1. It was the right choice - 100%.

Just because they went with option 1 - it doesn't mean they can't also try to enforce option 2 alongside it. But thanks to these changes - the idoc playing field will be leveled big time. Which was the intent. So good - job well done on the UO Dev team. It's not a perfect system - and we wall want a few tweaks more here and there - but overall the system change was very well done.

As to option 2 - it goes back to the example I keep giving. Imagine you're a GM. Your job is to ban scripters. We're on atlantic - there's a luna idoc, there are around ~200 characters. House falls in ~20mins. You're in charge of banning scripters. How do you proceed? You can concentrate on those with two accounts or those with 20+ accounts - the choice is yours.

1. How do you identify the scripters? 200+ characters. Tons of lag. How can you tell?
2. You can't just ban without proof - you can't just look at a character - assume he's a newbie char, so odds are he's cheating - and ban. Has to be some sort of proof.

Much harder said then done.
I really dont want to discuss this ad absurdum. Personally I feel you're bringing a strawman argument. Luna IDOCs with 200+ are the exception, not what is happening out in the woods at 90% of the other houses. Some bad actors could be banned by the very producer, not GMs. They have all the data, can make snapshots in time and run all kind of backtracking on it - if they wanted. I don't think they have any abilities to inspect if one's client runs thrid party software, although I know others do believe. A GM has no tooling for it, on that I can fully agree.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I doubt they would show a video. You never seen the Gargs at an IDOC before? 5 seconds the whole house was empty. The garg takes his packies to the trash can in Luna and drops things in there for 30 minutes or more.
Everyone I'm sure has tried to drop items too fast into any container, the server limits the speed of this. I don't for one second believe that any single player can fill a backpack or pack animal as fast as some are claiming can be done.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everyone I'm sure has tried to drop items too fast into any container, the server limits the speed of this. I don't for one second believe that any single player can fill a backpack or pack animal as fast as some are claiming can be done.
I searced UO IDOC Cheat. There are videos there of things getting sucked up fast. But, some posters from stratics are accused of things so I wont link it.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah i WOULDNT resize with stuff in the house, it was deleting stuff before all this.....
dont place on top of stuff either it gets deleted
they should of just put all the loot on undead monsters and you have to kill spawn to get the loot the whole barrel thing is a junky idea at best

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Post from Messana on the other forum regarding the current Covid 19 situation and the IDOC changes :

Greetings everyone,

To ensure the safety of the team we are working from home. This in no way affects the running of UO in any way. We will be publishing Origin tomorrow as planned and going WW with Publish 108 the following week.

We hope everyone stays safe and healthy in the upcoming days!

Mesanna

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
3/5/2020 Greetings, We have updated TC1 with the latest release of Pub 108. Please be sure to check out the latest publish notes & update your client before testing. We look forward to your feedback. -UO Team

Continue reading...
And now we have a National Emergency going on that may effect people's ability to keep their accounts running. If people end up broke, dead, or in the hospital who get's their stuff? That's right the IDOCers! Cui bono my fellow gamers? Cui bono? Certainly not you, if you happen to fall ill, lose your job, or suffer from any sort of ordinary human misfortune in life. They could warehouse your stuff if your house goes IDOC, but no....let's let this half baked solution go through. UO team why do you cater exclusively to big greed players? Yeah there is a distinct pattern here in how you handle everything, from EM Events to this IDOC issue. The people who benefit most from it are fancy pants, money grubbing, rare collector billionaires from Atlantic. We could have clickies or RP only events but no....the rares collectors hate those because they don't profit! We could have an IDOC system that preserves what the player has earned in case of their return but no...specific individuals need to continue to profit from scripting. Deleting the vet rewards isn't satisfying, think some poor idiot like me who has paid thousands over the years in sub fees to get what they have...but yeah if I end up having a run of bad luck in this crisis or anything else, I deserve to lose my vet rewards immediately, because? Is it really a reward now guys? Sounds more like a car that can be repossessed if I fail to make a payment, than a gift for loyalty.

Last edited:

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm starting to think the only people they listen to are the cheats, scripters and rares collectors, they are definitely not listening to the bulk of their player-base. I spent a long time giving them the benefit of the doubt on a lot of dubious decisions, but I'm finished doing that. There has to be some reason for all the ridiculous changes they have made that played straight into the hands of the scripters, nobody can make that many bad choices by accident, certainly not when other players told them it would only help the scripters. We have still had no valid reason, in fact she refuses to give any reason, for EM event items NOT being bound to the shard they were created on. The only people entitled to those items are the people who attended, I don't mean the 20 multi-boxers either....by their own logic those EM items should also go *poof* at an IDOC, but of course they don't.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How? You know how the system can access a closed account? People keep assuming it can, you all know the danger of assuming I presume?

I explained to you already that it's just their data on their servers. It is perfectly possible. If they don't want to implement any of it, it's fine. Just stop spreading your false assumptions please.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If people end up broke, dead, or in the hospital who get's their stuff?
If I end up broke and homeless, pretty sure the last thing on my mind will be how to get back into UO to claim my stuff....

Also pretty good chance if I end up dead, I'm not going to make it back in to UO to claim my pixels.