• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Dev Video #1

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That is actually a custom made coffee table that features a map of Britannia, created by ex-Mythic Software Engineer Alan Davies. It formed the basis for the in-game item "Davies Locker". You can see an unstained version of it here.
I've wanted that table ever since I first saw it. It's very well-done and absolutely gorgeous!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey girls love their shoes! :) I do like the idea of more flowy dresses...flowy? Flowing....am interested in how they will do that. I love the way my girls look in the dresses :) And more girl stuff in general...and maybe some riding pants!
Depending on what they do, for the hilarity of it I might just throw them $20 and rename a character to Imelda Marcos.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yep and chuck in some new things where shirt and skirts go also but with mods.
Yes, I think your point tops mine: the shirt and pants equipment spots are even more under utilized than earrings.

While I don't care much for design/looks (pink high heels, really??), if they had shirts similar to the earrings with various resists (i.e., +2% fire resist, +2% energy resist, so on...) it would be a nice little update to suit crafting.

In light of people asking for updates to crafting, maybe make such shirts/pants with resist (or other mods) craftable items which require some new ingredient/material that can only be obtained from the new spawns or bosses they're going to release. Would give tailors something new to do.

This is probably all wishful thinking, but it's an area which would be nice to see addressed in the next new major publish (or DLC package).

Last edited:

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The walls we can craft and use in our castles and keeps will be awesome. ..eeeh..can we get a tool that removes existing interior walls please? :devil: to give room for the new ones?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depending on what they do, for the hilarity of it I might just throw them $20 and rename a character to Imelda Marcos.
You know how many times my friends have called me that??? They visit my Theatre by Yew Gate Tram on GL's and when they find the 3rd floor and my boot collection they always comment.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know how many times my friends have called me that??? They visit my Theatre by Yew Gate Tram on GL's and when they find the 3rd floor and my boot collection they always comment.
You're welcome :devil:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
awesome doors for castles and keeps....thankyou...

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, lots of good sounding stuff in here! *wait for it*

HOWEVER: :)
1)
Last fall it was stated we had a plan to tend to taming and critters slated for the spring. *checks calendar* I am now wondering if all of the feature delivery has been slated to arrive with the new expansion, or, what can we expect in any revamps for 2015 outside new systems delivered in expansion content?
2)
The addition of more options for stone crafting is very exciting, especially since it allows for some housing customization where none previously existed. I think the majority of castle/keep owners should find this of great interest and are eager for more details. I did want to address acquiring stone as a resource, especially in color varieties. I have yet to see anyone in game wearing a val stone suit on their gargoyle. I would think the inability to mine the resource is a highly contributing factor (Stone is a tiny fraction of mining reward, color anything is a tiny fraction of mining loot, and randomized). So I was wondering if stone will made more readily available, say maybe in smugglers or pirate holds, merchant ships, earth eles, ore eles? This may be the fourth or fifth time I have asked that question. Sorry, I lost count. OR maybe with the addition of new lands in expansion some new direct path might be made available, or even a vet reward that acts like a mining cart but dispenses stone.

I am EXTREMELY appreciative of the fact that we will FINALLY have a complete virtue system. THANK YOU!
Will the two remaining virtues be added in to the system as it currently exists? Or are there still some thoughts about approaching the system holistically prior to completion? (IE everything gets a tweak and the new system feels less cobbled together) Thanks for reading and any reply is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Last fall it was stated we had a plan to tend to taming and critters slated for the spring. *checks calendar* I am now wondering if all of the feature delivery has been slated to arrive with the new expansion, or, what can we expect in any revamps for 2015 outside new systems delivered in expansion content?
I asked at the Baja Dev Meet and Greet about the taming revamp. Specifically, I asked if it was in development or still just in concept. The answer: in concept. :/

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crafting stone walls is a good easy fix. wont be able to change layout, but very useful to add a third floor to a castle without having to buy rubble and having the color be way off.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked at the Baja Dev Meet and Greet about the taming revamp. Specifically, I asked if it was in development or still just in concept. The answer: in concept. :/
Thank you for that. Bummer.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crafting stone walls is a good easy fix. wont be able to change layout, but very useful to add a third floor to a castle without having to buy rubble and having the color be way off.
Have they specifically said we will have no way to destroy existing wall tiles to change the layout? That would be a shame.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have they specifically said we will have no way to destroy existing wall tiles to change the layout? That would be a shame.
no but im 99 percent sure it will be just crafting stone walls similar to the rubble. all i can say is ask at a meet and greet.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
During the 15th anniversary meetup, Mesanna mentioned they were exploring the idea of manipulating static homes via add-ons created by Tinkering. I hope this is what they are delivering. And I hope they give us the ability to delete interior doors. Or delete those little walls on the right and left of the castle foyer. And 're-plaster' my castle walls with the stone aquired by mining.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm guessing you can only add to the existing design of the castle, not delete stuff from it

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm guessing you can only add to the existing design of the castle, not delete stuff from it
Always hard to tell at the outset just how ambitious they are likely to try to be. But the more I think about it the more inclined I am to agree.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope soon... Screw the currency conversion and whatever else, I want new stuff to do.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so taming is not getting fixed? I'm so bored of greater dragons and bane dragons/dreads can't handle high end boss's and stuff you need a tamer for. I was hoping for new tamables and the resurgence of tamers.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While they're at it, they should fix the virtue armor. No matter how thin your character is it makes them look fat. (j/k. it does make the character look fat but i'd rather see the devs work on something more meaningful.)
"Does this virtue armor make me look fat?"

Two ways to go here fellas...

"No honey. You look stunning. You'll make all those other bank sitting trollips jealous". Safe and you can still get laid later.

"No honey. Your huge ass makes you look fat. Don't blame the armor.". I recommend having all 70s resistance if you go this route. Or a precast recall to the nearest pub.

Let me know how it goes.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey girls love their shoes! :) I do like the idea of more flowy dresses...flowy? Flowing....am interested in how they will do that. I love the way my girls look in the dresses :) And more girl stuff in general...and maybe some riding pants!
imagine if they did a clothes booster. they would make so much money, haha. then they could have Kryonix do a dev diary dressed up as Mr. Selfridges :p (you know you wanna)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
imagine if they did a clothes booster. they would make so much money, haha. then they could have Kryonix do a dev diary dressed up as Mr. Selfridges :p (you know you wanna)
OMG they so would! Give us girls a closet....a BIG closet...a wardrobe with HANGERS and shoe racks....omg...the possibilites....

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bah, all the pretty pixels for teh wimens...oh goodie. Maybe instead they can formulate a plan to allow players to play a PvP thief again. This stealing from crates and monsters is for the birds...la

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Atm I can transfer money (in check form) for free by vet transfer tokens between shards. I do NOT want to have to PAY to do this through some hair brained scheme to gouge more money out of us, ie having to 'buy' a gold transfer token or whatnot. Please ensure what is 'free' now remains free in any 'revamp' to the currency conversion you are planning.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OMG they so would! Give us girls a closet....a BIG closet...a wardrobe with HANGERS and shoe racks....omg...the possibilites....
There is NO POINT in giving us clothes, when they can't go over existing stuff, ie cloaks and robes, belts etc with stats on. Although it would be great to be able to customize our chars with a dress style etc, if it means going without the stats it is still useless as pants and shirts etc are now. They need to have an 'appearance' only slot for all items, ie items that have no stats, so that you can still wear your stat cloak/robe but have an appearance slot over the top. Unless that happens then the whole clothing thing is a pure waste of time.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For real. We've got a complete quest system nobody uses because the rewards are junk, a zillion bosses nobody does because the loot is trash, etcetera etcetera. They could triple the amount of meaningful content the average player has available to them on a day-to-day basis just by tweaking and reitemizing that stuff, but instead they embark on boondoggle after boondoggle.

I especially hate the way they ruined Despise, and so do other people I talk to. It's just an open festering sore on the game now. It was the main place anyone went if they wanted to build a character without just scripting and beating a golem, but it's not like the developers knew that. They don't play UO.
Agree, all the Artifact and Mini Artifact loot at DOOM, Peerless Bosses, Tokuno Bosses (champ spawns), Paragon Artis, T.maps, SOS, Leviathon, Mondain's Legacy bosses and named monsters needs to be updated and made relevant to what you can imbue or get as new loot now. What a total waste of existing content that very few people bother with now as the Artifacts just aren't worth having. I would much rather see a sweep made of all existing artifacts/mini artifacts so that they are actually 'worth' hunting for. Remember when paragon artis first came out? They were good for ages and for players of all skill level, (heart of the lion, violet courage etc were all worn for ages and built into suits, now 99% of them are rendered as junk. Ditto for the rest of existing artifacts. If the 'loot' was there I would still enjoy doing peerless, doom etc, but as it stands there is NOTHING worth fighting for there.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
There is NO POINT in giving us clothes, when they can't go over existing stuff, ie cloaks and robes, belts etc with stats on. Although it would be great to be able to customize our chars with a dress style etc, if it means going without the stats it is still useless as pants and shirts etc are now. They need to have an 'appearance' only slot for all items, ie items that have no stats, so that you can still wear your stat cloak/robe but have an appearance slot over the top. Unless that happens then the whole clothing thing is a pure waste of time.
It's fashion....some of us don't care about *stats* and just want our characters to look nice.

So yeah there IS a point in giving us clothes...remember not everyone thinks the same way. I want to look pretty...if I am able to. If I had to pay extra to get a full line of new clothing I sure as heck would lol. Just as some people would pay to have basements in their house.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
*peees ona herz leg*
*tosses the little goblin into the bath and scrubs it with a soap on a rope and a Blackthorn embossed towel. Dries it off and then dresses it in a pink frilly dress and considers having it stuffed and mounted, before deciding to lather it with lilac perfume*

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's fashion....some of us don't care about *stats* and just want our characters to look nice.

So yeah there IS a point in giving us clothes...remember not everyone thinks the same way. I want to look pretty...if I am able to. If I had to pay extra to get a full line of new clothing I sure as heck would lol. Just as some people would pay to have basements in their house.
The amount of people who just want to 'look' nice and not worry about stats would be in the tiniest minority. The amount of people who want to 'look' good as WELL as maintain their stats are in the huge majority. If the devs are gonna put a lot of time and energy into giving players new clothes then surely it should be aimed at the majority of players not just the few. Especially when there are so many broken things already in the game that resources could go to. Basically clothes should be an 'appearance' overlay to all existing slots. Ie you wear a robe with your stats on, and can dump a dress over it to look nice, the dress being the 'visible' item all good, they do it in other games. Clothes for dress up sake is a lot of extra work for the benefit of very few players especially if you have to change every time you want to go and fight something. I would rather they put the limited resources they have into things that are gonna be USED by the majority, sorry.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah. I'd love to ditch my cloak but 5 SSI on clothing, I can't drop that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was rather hoping they would give us Vanity slots. Especially for using the "costumes" they gave us which I adore but can't really use for anything "serious" as it takes up my weapon slot. So not really good for RPing since I'd have to let go of it to fight.

A Vanity slot to put them in would be awesome as well as slots for wearing pants and such... since I fail to see why we even have pants in the game if they take up a slot for armor.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Clothes should be 100% cosmetic. Just give us another layer of slots to put what we want to be seen in. So 1 layer is visible/vanity clothes and the 2nd layer isn't drawn on the avatar, but can still be paged to on the paperdoll for those voyeurs who want to tally up visible stats. If you want your armor to be seen on your avatar, you put it in the visible slots. (just make it so that only 1 of the same type slots can have an item with stats equipped, so people can't double up)

This way you can still look like a fashionista while gallivanting around Sosaria's more dangerous locales. (i.e. looking "good" while actually being fully armored)

We also need a costume vanity slot for the items that induce a graphic change (costume mask, flippers, fishing pole, ring, etc.). That way we can look like an orc or a fairy while still able to wield a weapon or spellbook. (then re-add ability to use special moves while polymorphed/using a costume, BUT NOT A NINJITSU ANIMAL FORM!)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Erm, can somebody pls tell me why this thread is titled " dev video 1" as opposed to..
OH I don't know...sayyyy NEW ULTIMA ONLINE EXPANSION - TIME OF LEGENDS?

One of those topics looks really exciting and informative.
Other one looks much less so.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Erm, can somebody pls tell me why this thread is titled " dev video 1" as opposed to..
OH I don't know...sayyyy NEW ULTIMA ONLINE EXPANSION - TIME OF LEGENDS?

One of those topics looks really exciting and informative.
Other one looks much less so.
Because it's an RSS feed that posted it, not an actual person. From what I know about them It basically just copy/pastes whatever the developers write on UO.com with the same title.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^ Makes sense! Imho it'd still be nice to have this renamed into an actual " official" OMG NEW EXPANSION LOOK HERE thread.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If anything blame whoever posts news to UO.com for not having an official announcement of the expansion.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i go with either

BIG NEWS: NEW EXPANSION HITS UO

or

IS ULTIMA ONLINE DEAD? DEVS BIG ANNOUNCEMENT IS WOMEN'S SHOES!

or

WHERE DO I GET THAT COFFEE TABLE?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Terry has always laid claim to all Petra's gold. Since we started playing on a joint account and they are our oldest characters, now Petra's gold really will be all Terry's. :D

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have some female toons that could use a big chest. Um....that doesn't sound right somehow.

Shady Ghost

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I know the idea of a "CLASSIC" shard is out the window, and every time it is shot down, which is fine, I have read a few reasons why over the years, but maybe they should consider saving a copy of the code as it is now for the current shards, to open up "PRE TIME OF LEGENDS" servers that won't receive updates associated with time of legends for players who prefer the gameplay prior to this expansion. Maybe make some of the current servers go forward with Time of Legends and some of them not go forward with it? And disable transfers between ToL servers and non ToL servers. I don't know if this is a doable idea, but some of the people here seem legitimately concerned about the Skill Mastery system they are tossing out there.. I'm not too bothered by it, just think keeping the maximum amount of people happy is the best thing that can be done. Some people don't want a new land mass. And maybe thinking about this idea, it would segregate the community even more. But even without opening new servers with the current code at first, keep a copy of it archived just in case. I myself, am as excited as a ghost could be about new expansion, and looking forward to the derangement that is sure to come about as people fumble over the new choices trying to decide what is pro-optimal etc. Can't wait to see what the Mining Masteries are going to be.. Hehe.