• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Dev Video #1

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I especially hate the way they ruined Despise, and so do other people I talk to. It's just an open festering sore on the game now. It was the main place anyone went if they wanted to build a character without just scripting and beating a golem ...
This is so true

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Thanks for the video and the info :)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From the Devs
2015 Feb 24 16:52 GMT

Greetings Everyone,

We know everyone is really curious about what we are going to be doing next, so please take a few moments and watch our first Dev Diary! Enjoy!

Continue reading...
1. Nicely shot video
2. Whatever the outcome, I applaud their efforts
3. Where can I get Kyronix's UO T-shirt?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting announcement, though concerning that there are so few visibly working on it.

Shadowguard makes sense if you've been to the new area accessible via Doom, but I am just so sick of Minax at this point. We need new villains, ones unique to UO.

Eodon, while fun in WoU: Savage Empire, is on Earth not Sosaria... What of the Kotl? Is their high-tech stuff going to make an appearance? What of the rifles and flintlocks that the original game sported? I'd suggest at least making a connection between the Solen and the Myrmidex, the former being a displaced offshoot of the latter.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Shadowguard makes sense if you've been to the new area accessible via Doom, but I am just so sick of Minax at this point. We need new villains, ones unique to UO.

Eodon, while fun in WoU: Savage Empire, is on Earth not Sosaria... What of the Kotl? Is their high-tech stuff going to make an appearance? What of the rifles and flintlocks that the original game sported? I'd suggest at least making a connection between the Solen and the Myrmidex, the former being a displaced offshoot of the latter.
I have been longing for the Guardian and his trope. Batlin, the pirate Hook, Elizabeth, Abraham and the fellowship.
Those would make for mighty and interesting villains for us to fight.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have been longing for the Guardian and his trope. Batlin, the pirate Hook, Elizabeth, Abraham and the fellowship.
Those would make for mighty and interesting villains for us to fight.
GL's EMs did a version of the Fellowship. Even had a cube generator spreading the "Voice." The story arc abruptly went away though.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey girls love their shoes! :) I do like the idea of more flowy dresses...flowy? Flowing....am interested in how they will do that. I love the way my girls look in the dresses :) And more girl stuff in general...and maybe some riding pants!
I would be happy if they fixed capri pants (short pants)! They look perfect on male characters but hideous on female *frowns* No idea why they changed. New clothes will be nice.

In general, it sounds good except for the ones I have issues with (not that it matters anymore so I won't rehash). It is nice to hear that they care about preserving the classic feel of UO because lately I have had my doubts.

P.S. Thanks Dev for the video

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
GL's EMs did a version of the Fellowship. Even had a cube generator spreading the "Voice." The story arc abruptly went away though.
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Were the mages going insane too?

And it is a pity that the arc ended abruptly.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They can only crank up the power of items so far before characters with them become to powerful. What do you want, weapons and armor so powerful that you can waste every monster in an entire dungeon merely buy holding your weapon in hand?

Sheesh.... <chuckles>
I want more vanity pets. I want more mounts. I want there to be more items for the belt slot than the same Crimmy & Tangle we've had for eternity. I want more cloaks than the same couple of event items that don't even drop anymore. I want that Epiphany Armor nobody ever used to be given enough resists to be viable. I want cosmetic items. I want a scroll that makes my energy vortexes yellow. I want a crystal that makes a Greater Dragon into a Greater White Wyrm.

I want all that crap scattered across all the bosses nobody has done in the last like 8 years because they don't have any treasure that anyone wants. Then I want code in place that makes the goodies more likely to drop if you have more players in your party.

I want all of that, and I would happily take VvV, and the Huntsman crap, and Refinement, and that stupid Despise minigame, and all the other crap they've wasted the last few years on, and throw them in the toilet to get it.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would be happy if they fixed capri pants (short pants)! They look perfect on male characters but hideous on female *frowns* No idea why they changed. New clothes will be nice.

In general, it sounds good except for the ones I have issues with (not that it matters anymore so I won't rehash). It is nice to hear that they care about preserving the classic feel of UO because lately I have had my doubts.

P.S. Thanks Dev for the video
While they're at it, they should fix the virtue armor. No matter how thin your character is it makes them look fat. (j/k. it does make the character look fat but i'd rather see the devs work on something more meaningful.)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK I havent read the entire thread yet, but nevermind all this talk of games, how do I get my hands on that Artwork ???? nice

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I want more vanity pets. I want more mounts. I want there to be more items for the belt slot than the same Crimmy & Tangle we've had for eternity. I want more cloaks than the same couple of event items that don't even drop anymore. I want that Epiphany Armor nobody ever used to be given enough resists to be viable. I want cosmetic items. I want a scroll that makes my energy vortexes yellow. I want a crystal that makes a Greater Dragon into a Greater White Wyrm.

I want all that crap scattered across all the bosses nobody has done in the last like 8 years because they don't have any treasure that anyone wants. Then I want code in place that makes the goodies more likely to drop if you have more players in your party.

I want all of that, and I would happily take VvV, and the Huntsman crap, and Refinement, and that stupid Despise minigame, and all the other crap they've wasted the last few years on, and throw them in the toilet to get it.
I want to be able to tame more of the animals that are out there. Such as Dread Spiders, Black Widow Spiders, Fairy Dragons, etc... No reason why we can't tame some of those. How about Taming Pixies? Better than a pack of fully trained Frenzied Ostards I'll bet. You ought to be able to combine Spellweavings charming and taming... that would be cool to tame such things and bond them.

And they ought to bring back Dread Mares and Bane Dragons. Stupid that folk can't get them anymore.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vanity pets could be a fun addition, as long as they are done purely as a vanity.

Make them invulnerable and non-combat, able to keep up with their owner at mounted speeds, not take up a slot, etc.

Think of them as familiars.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Vanity pets could be a fun addition, as long as they are done purely as a vanity.

Make them invulnerable and non-combat, able to keep up with their owner at mounted speeds, not take up a slot, etc.

My hope would be that any new pets would be small but more powerful than a greater dragon. Then the mobs at events could actually be SEEN.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Always wanted the parrot on the shoulder for my Sailors, a Cat or Dog would be pretty cool.... my spider crawling across my back to sit on my shoulder... hiss on command. Could you imagine if you could have such a thing.... the cat hiss and meow on command .... dog bark or growl... Parrot repeat what you said... A snake to slither beside you hissing and or going all cobra on command. How about having your ferret climb up your leg and onto your shoulder.... chittering on command.... Squirrels... Rabbits. Eagles... Hawks... Wolves... Bats... It would be awesome.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Still no mention of a house pet. That's still something I want really bad. Sleeping kitty doggy are cute and all but I want a House pet. One that roams about my home... has a special bed/cage/ to go to... guards the house.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can we get the different material types for refinements removed in the expansion and/or a publish already? That's the main reason nobody uses them, its too hard to get a set.
Just throw them away like I do.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Refinements is a good system that suffers from over designing. :(
I love using them too, but their types are so spread out that getting the ones you need is nigh impossible.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, like I really want to drop my DCI cap on one suit because I don't have 45 DCI without bard masteries anyway.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we get the different material types for refinements removed in the expansion and/or a publish already? That's the main reason nobody uses them, its too hard to get a set.
This the stuff in the holds of merchant ships? If it is and your on Chessie, I'll give it to you. I mug something like 8 or 10 ships a week. Got three of those heavy powder charge generating pictures. :)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This the stuff in the holds of merchant ships? If it is and your on Chessie, I'll give it to you. I mug something like 8 or 10 ships a week. Got three of those heavy powder charge generating pictures. :)
They might be... I usually got them from treasure maps and champ spawns before I gave up. I'm on Great Lakes though :( Thanks anyway!

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can Mesanna or Kyronix tell me if that is a Bob Timberlake coffee table, or who made that one? I am looking for a display case coffee table and that one in the video might work. Bob Timberlake collection has stopped manufacturing theirs so looking for something similar if in production.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can Mesanna or Kyronix tell me if that is a Bob Timberlake coffee table, or who made that one? I am looking for a display case coffee table and that one in the video might work. Bob Timberlake collection has stopped manufacturing theirs so looking for something similar if in production.
That is actually a custom made coffee table that features a map of Britannia, created by ex-Mythic Software Engineer Alan Davies. It formed the basis for the in-game item "Davies Locker". You can see an unstained version of it here.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol that's what i thought it was... totally jelly ... i would so sport that in my living room. put it up on the store for 149.99 ill buy one ha

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
How about some new earrings? This is an under utilized equipment slot.

Wouldn't have to be anything too wild... +2 Mana Regen, +2 Hit Points, 3% Lower Reagent Cost, maybe some new special mod only found on earrings.... Just some food for thought!

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, this game totally needs more empty landmasses to spread its ever-waning population thinner. I see having made crafting barely understandable to vets, let alone new players, they're now moving on to skills with this "mastery" concept. I wonder how many spreadsheets people will need to figure out the optimum masteries to take and how to train them.

The gold change sounds good, to be fair. I just wish they'd work on the fundamentals such as the new player experience, adding a proper friends list/whisper system in-game, simplifying the armor and crafting systems, re-working the quest and skill training mechanisms, etc. before throwing more "content" on top of an already flawed foundation.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I worry about the new armor/items part that was mentioned. Hopefully it's just going to be art and not a whole other system.

I would have skipped adding in even more land mass since there's already an extreme amount of unused land as is.
The masteries really worry me.

@Kyronix I still want a craftable or arty King crown which should have been made with the Kings collection.
Yes, please no new landmass!

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love 10 new landmasses per day - you people would still be riding horse buggies to work if you had your way

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want a hooded cloak already. No, the robes aren't the same. I don't want to wear a robe, do want a hood. And also a way to convert existing back items to that... Can't give up the 5 SSI cloak. Or since its not obtainable add it as a drop with a hood. Or just have all hoods add a cloak if you double click them.

That's really the only idea I have for new equipment. We've got elven stuff, traditional medieval armor and samurai armor, what else is there other than more clothes?

Pirate clothes! Peg legs, eye patches, ruffled shirts, big feathery hats.

Cloaks that end at the elbow, hip and ankle.

Cloaks and robes narrow at the shoulders for females so we don't look and feel like linebackers for the NFL when we wear them.

Sparkly clothes, ethereal clothing.

You haven't lived truly lived in UO until you've worn an ethereal plain dress.

:)

Ethereal plain dress with black skin!

I do miss Test Sosaria and Hanse's universal dye tubs.

Thanks for the interesting video Devs!

New clothing is a big plus!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Am I the only one rather excited about the house additions?
Oh trust me as the owner of a Keep and Castle I couldn't be happier and I'm looking forward to such things... but I have a feeling they just might take too long to happen for me to care totally.

I mean at this point I'm still extremely frustrated with my inability to really play and enjoy UO anymore. I waited through the time I couldn't use Pinco's anymore because they were updating and upgrading the base UI for the EC... Took what seemed like AGES.... but then we got the client back in a FAR worse state than it had been in. Like it took two tiny steps forward with the UI and 10 MASSIVE LEAPS backwards giving us back bugs and problems that had been fixed AGES ago and reintroducing them back into the client along with all sorts of crashes, hang-ups, Lag ..... odd art weirdness... etc... NONE of which have been resolved well.

I still have to deal with the fact that I can't read a book in the EC that isn't red leafed.... I can't write in a book and have anyone in the CC be able to read what I wrote.

I can't see anything that has an animation if I use the Circle of Transparency. Makes it hard to lock down most of the cool EM event items when you can't see it after you drop it down unless you always remember to turn the circle off before you do it. I can't see the big multi-colored horde minion used by some EM's as a Mob Boss... totally invisible in the EC.

I can't open a public corpse at an EM Event, after a Champ Spawn, Can't open Corguls corpse after it goes public... Can't open the corpse of a Peerless boss after it goes public.

If I die it takes up to 1 full minute for the death animation to take effect so I stand there frozen unable to get a rez or know where my corpse is or what is going on in-game for up to a full minute after I die... Meaning if this happens at an EM event on the final boss I can't do any damage, can't get looting rights, can't get back in the game until after the Boss is dead.

If I try to customize a house the longer I take the more laggy and laggy the client becomes until it crashes. It does weird crap like leave trails of wall tiles along everywhere my mouse cursor goes.... because it fails to realize I quit hitting the button ages ago... I will erase half my house if I try to erase one tile as it continually erases tiles everywhere my mouse cursor goes as it get more and more laggy the longer I remain in Custom Mode.

If I try to put in a roof often I can't see that the whole bottom row is orange for no reason and I can't commit the house until I log out and back in to the 2d client to see what is orange since I can't see it in the EC.

Things like this become more and more frustrating until I just want to quit.

As for going back to the 2d client won't ever happen. I am not going back to having a game play window that's 1/16th the size of my screen... I can't read most that junk and I can't see what is in my pack or anywhere else for that matter. Not to mention my speedpad doesn't like the 2d client and i have to make a separate profile for each and every one of my characters to use in order for it to work right..... that's over 800 characters. I'm SOOOO not doing that. In the EC I can make one base profile and drop what I want into it so quickly I can get a character up and running in a matter of minutes with full macro's... I think I'd rather quit UO than go back to the 2d client.

I had hoped that they would have addressed some of these issues. There is a HUGE list of bugs and things that need fixing in the EC. Don't even get me started on clipping issues and such with the wearables.... I'm seriously hoping the "new" wearables don't suffer many of the same problems.

I'm also hoping that "old" stuff isn't forgotten. I still would like a new mempo of fortune that isn't butt ugly and doesn't cover up my face. Sure looks like crap to have a nice new dress instead of a stupid robe but then to mess it up with a butt ugly Mempo. I don't want to look like Hannible Lecture.

So I waited for the publish for a long time... and supposedly the two BIG issues with performance at the EM events were fixed. NOT fixed. Now I have to wait some more. I don't know how much more waiting I'm willing to do.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I believe there is an option to disable hardware acceleration on death effects.
On my old laptop I unchecked it and it had a major improvement in performance when my characters happened to die.

It might be worth checking if you have it enabled if your video card is an Intel onboard or some other low end Nvidia or AMD video card.
Those don't handle the hardware acceleration used by that death effect very well.

If you have a middle to high end video card and that option is disabled, you will gain performance from enabling it.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about some new earrings? This is an under utilized equipment slot.

Wouldn't have to be anything too wild... +2 Mana Regen, +2 Hit Points, 3% Lower Reagent Cost, maybe some new special mod only found on earrings.... Just some food for thought!
Yep and chuck in some new things where shirt and skirts go also but with mods.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When can we expect to see these things. Are they being worked on now or just still ideas?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one rather excited about the house additions?
I am. I think I will not sell my keep or castle and hold on to them for a bit longer to see what they are going to do.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
!! The classic house news is great! I would like to know if keep yards are part of this? Plz plz plz... It was also nice seeing the devs and well that llama shirt too. Thank you all for information. Oh yes and expansion price is? :)