• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Dev Video #1

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poor Bleak

does anyone else just not have faith that the devs know enough about the game to introduce effective, balanced masteries? perhaps they should stick to the women's shoes thing. I honestly wouldnt mind the entire year JUST sticking to bug fixes. we just dont have the staff to start introducing MORE systems, especially when this just promotes UOs biggest problem with development, which is constantly releasing half-done, bloated content while refusing to do extremely simple things to revitalize content we already have.

We have 4 devs. If they DID continuously update new systems like VVV, boss loot / drops, update outdated systems, AND then had extra time id say sure, but in its current skeleton crew maintenance mode id like to see their time spent on simple updates to existing content. Not new content / systems that eat up months even a year to complete and are only enjoyed by players for a few weeks and then abandoned.

Last edited:

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh, new expansion! Time of Legends.
timeoflegend.png
Looks like it is going to feature (so far):

• Draws on past Ultima lore, lets them flesh out things they've 'ignored' or mishandled?
  • New zones: Valley of Eodon (from Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire) and Shadowguard (from Ultima II - Minax's fortress)
  • Lots of new armour and items with much more customization and looks (differentiate female/male clothing, more beards, hair etc)
  • Two new champion spawns with unique gameplay.
  • Finally finishing the Virtue system.
  • The new areas are going to have new material for housing
  • Some sort of new skill mastery system.
  • Ability to edit in some ways classic housing
I am sure there is more, and that I missed or misheard stuff but that seems like a lot of it. I wanted to know about the graphic update for the Enhanced Client (I still miss UOKR).

Last edited:

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They have my attention again towards the game... for awile at least. I shall keep my fingers crossed.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting. As far as champion, peerless etc. I hope they are going to figure out an easier way for people to group up to do these together. No keys, no special requirements. Sign up on a virtual board when your number is called you get tossed into an encounter with X amount of other random people.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Oooo, i can't wait for the time of legends. :thumbsup: New clothing for my gals. Did i hear correctly, stone crafting to allow people to change the look of castle walls? I'm going to have watch this several more times, just so much cool information.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the video and I look forward to the forthcoming content. Great news about the account management stuff also.

I guess the conga part didn't make the final cut...

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder if the other expansions will become cheaper with the release of this one...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I hope we get some sort of weapon masteries. I long to have a good reason to use halberds with one of my fighters, but there is no point to it nowadays, as bladed staves and double axes make her a much more effective warrior and a better asset to the party. :(

It will also be nice if with said masteries paladins would gain an ability to draw aggro from monsters away from other party members and into them.
How can we tank effectively if we have no way to break aggro away from the squishier party members?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay...this confuses me...I had to go back and listen to him again.

Dearest Bleak :)

Bleak - Currency Conversion

Shard-based not account based-
Money one 1 character on that shard, that money will be accessible from any character on that shard

So basically the total gold I have in each characters bank on one particular shard will be totaled and accessible from ANY account on that shard....I like this!

We also want to allow players to make transactions with their money when they are not on.
If a player has gold and he wants to xfer it to another shard he can do that
but if he wants to then take that money and give it to another player but that
player is not online we want to provide a way for players to do that because they
can currently do that now.

I hope you explain this a little more in detail later on down the road. I know right now we can put gold checks in
other players mailboxes..this is what you mean by giving money to someone not on-line.

With the conversion that won't be possible so I'm really curious how you are going to accomplish this!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
LOVE that you're re-doing the website..I heard that correctly right? Because right now uo.com is kinda...MEH..so VERY excited about that!

Onifrk - Improve existing art and add new pieces without losing the classic UO feel

PICS OR ITS NOT TRUE! lol can you maybe sneak us a peek?? :)

Virtue System...very cool...I don't know how many people even still do the honesty quests but I love it! I am really looking forward to this.

Stone-crafting sounds very interesting, thank you for listening to us on that one! I might just upgrade back to a castle if it's cool :)

New building materials, wearables etc....can't wait it all sounds very exciting!

Thank you! :heart:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So basically the total gold I have in each characters bank on one particular shard will be totaled and accessible from ANY account on that shard....I like this!
I am gonna assume he meant any char on that account on the shard...does need a bit of clarification.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am gonna assume he meant any char on that account on the shard...does need a bit of clarification.
Well he did say it was shard bound, not account bound...which is why I asked...it is a bit confusing but that's what it sounds like from what he said.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What he said is pretty easy.

Gold on a particular shard say Catskills as an example. All your characters on Catskills only would has access to the gold only on Catskills. Same for any other shard that a person plays on. So Atlantic characters could not access the gold on Catskills shard just what is on the Atlantic shard only

Now if you wanted to xfer gold to other characters on other shards, your own or to somebody else's, then they have also added that.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oops I should clarify on the xfer of gold..

I am guessing it would be like an ingame mail system ( just a guess so don't be pointing fingers at me for guessing the system) and you do not have to be online to receive the gold from another person. So you can xfer gold to other characters you have on other shards or to other people.

Other games have a ingame mail system and I figure they had some help from the DaoC team.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What he said is pretty easy.

Gold on a particular shard say Catskills as an example. All your characters on Catskills only would has access to the gold only on Catskills. Same for any other shard that a person plays on. So Atlantic characters could not access the gold on Catskills shard just what is on the Atlantic shard only

Now if you wanted to xfer gold to other characters on other shards, your own or to somebody else's, then they have also added that.
Yeah that's what I said...but the transferring to someone who's not online thing...if it's virtual currency how will that be accomplished.
Can't put virtual currency in a mail box! lol unless they add a slide to that too similar with what they are doing with the trade window..which would be an idea.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gratz to the UO Dev Team for the hard work you put into the new expansion and systems. Also a thank you should be said for the fixes you have done of late even though it may sound more unappreciated on the forums.

Shady Ghost

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Wow, I was just talking to a guy yesterday about wanting some new bosses. Been doing some of those trade quests too after coming back, loving it.
Broadsword has my ghostly respect. OoOooooo

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that's what I said...but the transferring to someone who's not online thing...if it's virtual currency how will that be accomplished.
Can't put virtual currency in a mail box! lol unless they add a slide to that too similar with what they are doing with the trade window..which would be an idea.

As I said in my second post which is a guess it would be different than the mail boxes you have in UO now. In game mail system like most modern games have now days would be different than just the mailbox you have at your UO house.

Say I want to send you some gold. I open a tab on my upper screen type your name/or however they are going to do this in UO I can send currency to you. As soon as you open the mail it will have an option to accept the currency. It would be automatically added to your shard total. Just a guess because I have no clue how they will do this in UO but that is how it works in other games.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its problematic in UO because characters do not have unique names. it would have to be tied to an item, or house rather than a simple screen where you could type in a name / amount and hit send. I suppose it could also be done by assigning each account a unique account number which the gold could be sent to. that seems too complicated tho, as it would involve a player having to keep a long list of account numbers. too much like real life. a bit too much for a video game.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poor Bleak

does anyone else just not have faith that the devs know enough about the game to introduce effective, balanced masteries? perhaps they should stick to the women's shoes thing. I honestly wouldnt mind the entire year JUST sticking to bug fixes. we just dont have the staff to start introducing MORE systems, especially when this just promotes UOs biggest problem with development, which is constantly releasing half-done, bloated content while refusing to do extremely simple things to revitalize content we already have.

We have 4 devs. If they DID continuously update new systems like VVV, boss loot / drops, update outdated systems, AND then had extra time id say sure, but in its current skeleton crew maintenance mode id like to see their time spent on simple updates to existing content. Not new content / systems that eat up months even a year to complete and are only enjoyed by players for a few weeks and then abandoned.
While it is difficult for me not to get at least a little bit excited at the reveal of a new expansion, I tend to agree with this sentiment about bug fixing and, I would add, polishing the game experience. There are seemingly countless places where the game could be (and in some cases, ought to be) revisited and improved upon. Yet, posting about these things or emailing the devs about these things usually seems futile because "there are bigger issues".

Interested in seeing how the new skill masteries work.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
and the new tamable tigers are......

haha, and i come out swinging!

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New expansion has me excited though... Masteries should be a cool addition.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Poor Bleak

For real. We've got a complete quest system nobody uses because the rewards are junk, a zillion bosses nobody does because the loot is trash, etcetera etcetera. They could triple the amount of meaningful content the average player has available to them on a day-to-day basis just by tweaking and reitemizing that stuff, but instead they embark on boondoggle after boondoggle.

I especially hate the way they ruined Despise, and so do other people I talk to. It's just an open festering sore on the game now. It was the main place anyone went if they wanted to build a character without just scripting and beating a golem, but it's not like the developers knew that. They don't play UO.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I worry about the new armor/items part that was mentioned. Hopefully it's just going to be art and not a whole other system.

I would have skipped adding in even more land mass since there's already an extreme amount of unused land as is.
The masteries really worry me.

@Kyronix I still want a craftable or arty King crown which should have been made with the Kings collection.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For real. We've got a complete quest system nobody uses because the rewards are junk, a zillion bosses nobody does because the loot is trash, etcetera etcetera.
They can only crank up the power of items so far before characters with them become to powerful. What do you want, weapons and armor so powerful that you can waste every monster in an entire dungeon merely buy holding your weapon in hand?

Sheesh.... <chuckles>

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want a hooded cloak already. No, the robes aren't the same. I don't want to wear a robe, do want a hood. And also a way to convert existing back items to that... Can't give up the 5 SSI cloak. Or since its not obtainable add it as a drop with a hood. Or just have all hoods add a cloak if you double click them.

That's really the only idea I have for new equipment. We've got elven stuff, traditional medieval armor and samurai armor, what else is there other than more clothes?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hopefully some of the new Masteries are for crafting skills. Crafting is what makes the game fun for many people.
I figured they'd be for every class of skills at least, if not even more specific.

Then again, what could they even have as a crafting mastery? Crafters are already pretty powerful.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want a hooded cloak already. No, the robes aren't the same. I don't want to wear a robe, do want a hood. And also a way to convert existing back items to that... Can't give up the 5 SSI cloak. Or since its not obtainable add it as a drop with a hood. Or just have all hoods add a cloak if you double click them.

That's really the only idea I have for new equipment. We've got elven stuff, traditional medieval armor and samurai armor, what else is there other than more clothes?
at the last meet and greet mesanna mentioned woman's shoes, so... well that right there could be the entire expansion.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
The more I think about the Skill Masteries the more worried I get. Templates and suits for PVP & PVM are already ridiculous since the loot patch, add something similar to bard masteries into the equation and it will be a nightmare. Think of how crazy templates and suits will be if it is along the lines of: If you have 120 archery/tactics/anatomy you will receive; 25% DI, 15hci and 8hpr. Or any other similar combos appropriate to the skill groupings. I don't play this game because it is easy, I play it for it's intricacies. This is destined for easy mode...

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hey girls love their shoes! :) I do like the idea of more flowy dresses...flowy? Flowing....am interested in how they will do that. I love the way my girls look in the dresses :) And more girl stuff in general...and maybe some riding pants!