• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Contest Housing Pricing

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Dev's have reduced the prices of the new castle designs. They range from 27 to 48 million.

Thanks for listening !

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cannot wait to see the official explanation as to why they reduced the pricing.
If you want a master class in trying to spin an item so you don't have to apologise, you're about to see it.....
If they even bother to tell us why...such is their contempt for the UO players. ;)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't want to live in a church... not interested in a house... I wanted a CASTLE for Newcastle that resembled a fortified castle.. not some fancy villa or estate... or church..... I wanted functional usable space for storage, for deco and such.... but most of what I saw had ZERO functionality and many were way worse to get around in than what we currently had... the main reason I wanted them to redo the Keep and Castle designs was for better functionality... not to be some fancy estate.... IMO 18x18's are just fine for a fancy estate but a Keep and a Castle should look more like a guild hall and a fortified structure...

I wanted functionality... the winners not so much.
Yep, I wanted to build something that looks like ruins of a castle on the outside, but a functional hidden lair of my evil necromancer on the inside. Devs no say that customizable plots are out due to lag (funny how 18x18 dont lag). The real reason, I suspect, is the one Mesanna stated in the past. She does not like Borg cubes and has strong ideas of what houses should look like. Why she thinks it's appropriate for her to dictate to players their proper housing style in a sandbox game with customizable housing is a little beyond me.
And if I had to guess, the reasons we are hearing for the ridiculous prices are just excuses. They messed up with the calculations. But rather than admit an embarrasing mistake, someone had a bright idea to claim that everything is working as intended (not the first or second or third time this happened, is it?). This is why it sounds so ridiculous - it's what you get when you try to justify a screw up.

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The real reason, I suspect, is the one Mesanna stated in the past. She does not like Borg cubes and has strong ideas of what houses should look like. Why she thinks it's appropriate for her to dictate to players their proper housing style in a sandbox game with customizable housing is a little beyond me.
And if I had to guess, the reasons we are hearing for the ridiculous prices are just excuses. They messed up with the calculations.
Most the castles she picked had spires/battlements/spikes things...and a lot of those didn't even add to a pleasant aesthetic. They had mismatched/gaudy floor tiles, uneven rooms, poor door positions, broken stairs, bad fireplaces and the ability to run out of the house anytime you go down the stairs without trying.

If I had a tin hat, I would say the outrageous prices were to deflect from the failure of many of the designs actually picked. Make us forget about the outrage over the bad designs...

They should have allowed the designers to fix some design errors/flaws before committing them to the tool.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They just don't consider or care about the fact that most all castles and keeps are in Trammel and the other half in FEL where people will get killed if they use designs that are that open... the current structures are more secure than that.

People were not thinking about fel IMO when they were doing those designs... in Fel many of those will get you killed. Not that I'm a huge profel person but I do have a castle there... and I have done a lot of RPPvP and I certainly don't want to be in a house that would make me an easy target.

Castles and Keeps should be secure...

And finally Mesanna needs to realize that the reason I used the current stone and style is because that's what we have available to customize and finish out designs with... like I want to live in a big marble house and put in stone walls and iron doors????? NO I don't that would look like crap.. so I used what we had available so that if folk wanted they could put in archways or doors or walls or whatever where they wanted.... even put in secret doors so if people wanted to put pavers into the second floor areas they could do that easily with the secret doors provided... but since I couldn't leave a book or anything like a bulletin board to explain my insanity I doubt most people even noticed that. In the keep I put in secret doors so you could access the grassy area's on any side... built in secret escapes as well .... but yeah... I'm not going to build out of a different material if I am stuck using the current material to complete and finish work.... not everyone likes the same design... some might want arches and others might prefer doors and others might prefer something else... I don't want to live in a big huge room and divide it up later with some other style of building material that would look like poop....
so unless she's willing to allow us to construct every building wall and door and such in the menu then forget it.. could you just imagine how horrible the crafting menu would be to load and sift through if they did???

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
All those fancy designs with spires and little bitty rooms are really pretty but you lose so much space and they are not really practical. I am not saying this to hurt anyone's feelings, if that's what they prefer then that's fine, for them, I just want a nice usable space, less doors, less stairs, no stairs that seem to float in the middle of the room either, I find that too weird.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They just don't consider or care about the fact that most all castles and keeps are in Trammel and the other half in FEL where people will get killed if they use designs that are that open... the current structures are more secure than that.

People were not thinking about fel IMO when they were doing those designs... in Fel many of those will get you killed. Not that I'm a huge profel person but I do have a castle there... and I have done a lot of RPPvP and I certainly don't want to be in a house that would make me an easy target.

Castles and Keeps should be secure...

And finally Mesanna needs to realize that the reason I used the current stone and style is because that's what we have available to customize and finish out designs with... like I want to live in a big marble house and put in stone walls and iron doors????? NO I don't that would look like crap.. so I used what we had available so that if folk wanted they could put in archways or doors or walls or whatever where they wanted.... even put in secret doors so if people wanted to put pavers into the second floor areas they could do that easily with the secret doors provided... but since I couldn't leave a book or anything like a bulletin board to explain my insanity I doubt most people even noticed that. In the keep I put in secret doors so you could access the grassy area's on any side... built in secret escapes as well .... but yeah... I'm not going to build out of a different material if I am stuck using the current material to complete and finish work.... not everyone likes the same design... some might want arches and others might prefer doors and others might prefer something else... I don't want to live in a big huge room and divide it up later with some other style of building material that would look like poop....
so unless she's willing to allow us to construct every building wall and door and such in the menu then forget it.. could you just imagine how horrible the crafting menu would be to load and sift through if they did???
I play Siege, my castle is well able to be secured. Plenty of room for one teleport pad out front to enter and keep your doors locked. Although most places on Siege do remain private for that very reason. At least now I can actually afford to build it on Siege.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Allen?

Excellent. Honestly, I feel like the new prices are still a bit too much in my opinion, but they're at least obtainable by a normal person.
Yup. Did I already see you and call you a NOOB?

I can be reached in Gen chat a lot.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you do an upgrade can you change your mind and get a refund?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you do an upgrade can you change your mind and get a refund?
No it cost the 25% more to convert it back a osi castle or keep

When the new ones come out and you decide you want to change it again you will incur a 50% change charge

It will max at 150% of the total cost to convert and rebuild each time with a change for each process

So basically a fee to change it the first time then a fee to change it back then anther fee to change to the newer design

With the total cost not to exceed 5 plat total per account (plus any and all zoning / HOA/ public works and all city, state, federal and international Taxes that may apply)

You need to keep in mind and remember this is a gold sink folks

:stir:

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As for what @Treasure Hunter said about Mesanna and her ICQ that I can say with all honesty is untrue... Mesanna never had ICQ... she had an AoL... but that has been gone since they went to Mythic... before Broadsword... so you may want to check your facts there.

Here comes the cheerleaders!!!

So, are you naive, gullible or in her inner circle?
You know with all honesty it's untrue? How do you know so much about "inside info" and what Mesanna has/uses? Must be an inner circle thing?

It is 2018 maybe they just call her cellphone now?

We've all seen her at the rares fests walking through the crowds looking for her "favorites" to hand out them expensive gifts.
we know how she operates and we all know certain people do have instant access to her!!!

so take your pompoms elsewhere.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here comes the cheerleaders!!!

So, are you naive, gullible or in her inner circle?
You know with all honesty it's untrue? How do you know so much about "inside info" and what Mesanna has/uses? Must be an inner circle thing?

It is 2018 maybe they just call her cellphone now?

We've all seen her at the rares fests walking through the crowds looking for her "favorites" to hand out them expensive gifts.
we know how she operates and we all know certain people do have instant access to her!!!

so take your pompoms elsewhere.
You can ask any one of the DEVs I've never been a pompom waver for them... However I will stick up for them when someone is wrong. I do know that Mesanna used AoL... and lost that or had to leave it behind when they went to Mythic/Broadsword... since then as far as I know she doesn't do ICQ. I am fairly certain that the EMs have her cell # or whatever...

But not being an EM can't really say... but I'm sure they do... As for the other DEVs @Kyronix is a decent guy and usually willing to listen to your problems and concerns... @Bleak tries to fix things though often I feel for him as the code I'm sure is a mess... I have never been a fan of the one artist Ornifric or whatever his name is... I like the new artist I forget her name but she's very nice and does a fair job.. I just wish they would give things a bit more texture... most of what they put out looks "plastic" because it lacks any texture. It's just bare bones.. Take the newer gray wall tiles they are just gray with white lines... there is zero texture to them.. look at any of the old art and you can see the roughness of the stone, cracks here and there you can see the grain of the wood on the old doors the new door looks again "plastic" ... it lacks any detail or texture... I will continue to berate them as long as it takes until they put some effort into the art and add the missing texture to it... most the newer plants look as though they are potted in wet mud rather than dirt as the "dirt" has zero texture to it... again very "plastic" looking.

So no I don't wave any pom poms never have never will I give credit where it is due and I speak my mind when I feel they are going in a bad direction or failing to provide or listen... trust me they know when I'm not happy.

But I will stand by them when I know something is a lie.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can ask any one of the DEVs I've never been a pompom waver for them... However I will stick up for them when someone is wrong. I do know that Mesanna used AoL... and lost that or had to leave it behind when they went to Mythic/Broadsword... since then as far as I know she doesn't do ICQ. .
If she was using AOL's Instant Messenger program ("AIM"), it was discontinued last December.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If she was using AOL's Instant Messenger program ("AIM"), it was discontinued last December.
Yes but as I recall when UO went to Mythic/Broadsword she was no longer able to use it.

Shiranui Renn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't want to live in a church... not interested in a house... I wanted a CASTLE for Newcastle that resembled a fortified castle.. not some fancy villa or estate... or church..... I wanted functional usable space for storage, for deco and such.... but most of what I saw had ZERO functionality and many were way worse to get around in than what we currently had... the main reason I wanted them to redo the Keep and Castle designs was for better functionality... not to be some fancy estate.... IMO 18x18's are just fine for a fancy estate but a Keep and a Castle should look more like a guild hall and a fortified structure...
I wanted functionality....
Since it looks like you don't care much about the things others want. I can put you at ease that no one cares about what you want.