• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Contest Housing Pricing

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
9/13/2018 Greetings, We have seen quite a bit of discussion relating to the cost of contest housing recently introduced with Publish 101. Firstly, the cost of contest housing will be uniform across all shards, including Siege Perilous. As far as the costs of these homes in relation to legacy housing, we want to share with you why these homes cost substantially more than a standard castle. One of the top 5 most common areas of feedback we receive is that the game world lacks adequate gold sinks to effectively combat inflation within the economy. One of the most effective ways […]

Continue reading...

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Honestly, if they wanted a way to remove gold from the economy, just let us convert a keep to a customizable plot for ~250m, and a castle for ~500m. Hell, even double that and people would still pay it to make their own custom keeps/castles. You'd remove a lot more gold from the economy that way rather than selling other people's designs that we know no one can agree on.

I was against just giving everyone the plots on live originally, but if this is what the custom castles are going to cost, i'd rather just pay a premium for a plot to customize.

Or even add a "customizable plot deed" to the Sovereign Store for 5000 Sovereigns and make some good money from there.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
seriously, unless these new castke designs cost 5plat or something - who cares about a few mil

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
9/13/2018 Greetings, We have seen quite a bit of discussion relating to the cost of contest housing recently introduced with Publish 101. Firstly, the cost of contest housing will be uniform across all shards, including Siege Perilous. As far as the costs of these homes in relation to legacy housing, we want to share with you why these homes cost substantially more than a standard castle. One of the top 5 most common areas of feedback we receive is that the game world lacks adequate gold sinks to effectively combat inflation within the economy. One of the most effective ways […]

Continue reading...
I could see 3 mil but 100 mill and up is way too much...not worth it. You are going to have people trying to dupe gold to get a new design.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I gotta say this is probably one of the sadist moments in the game for me.This has completely taken the wind out of my sails. I'm out of any future contests. I refuse to participate in something that only the very rich can attain.

I was feeling so good about this new wonderful addition. You all had strong buy in from the player base. Now, after all our efforts, poof...

Turning something many of us worked hard to create into a gold sink? Really? I'm feeling like I've been sucker punched and those that know me know that I've always, through thick and thin, been the cheerleader.

Talk about a roller coaster ride...

Respectfully,

Amber Witch
Witch, not Trump

Last edited:

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keeping the price is an absolutely horrible decision. The designs are highly unlikely to be used and has just wasted time for players in designing these, wasted time for the voters, and wasted time and effort for the devs in developing and rolling out the process.

I'm curious to see how the next contest goes. Because at these prices, why even design a castle/keep if you can't afford to place it if it were to win.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I was so looking forward to being able to change designs and now... this is too crazy
makes me want to close my accounts....
why should I spend any more money on a game where the devs don't care about the average player?
the average player doesn't have that much money

Melchiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Does the new banking system come with an interest-free overdraft...?

That's about the only way I'll be able to afford one of those - or will the architect NPCs now be transformed into Mortgage brokers?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Wow. I thought this "contest" couldn't keep getting worse at this point. My bad.

In the immortal words of Lady Minax: ROFL. About all we can do here.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well one thing is for sure Dev's, the gold-sellers are gonna love ya! There are many people in this game who don't (and never will) buy gold and don't spend all of their game time amassing humongous amounts of gold.

AND even if I could ever collect that much gold, I would never use it for a deliberate gold-sink. :grrr:

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it a really a gold sink if the new contest castle owner drops the castle? Do they lose all the gold spent, or get the gp back into their bank account? Sad to see the dev team is so swayed by allowing RMT profiteering, that it leaves the average player feeling like an unwelcome poor peon.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am truly at a loss for words. I mean ... you know what, whatever. It's their game. If they want to make absurd choices that's on them. I wasn't even going to go with a castle. What bothers me about this is the complete disregard for the average player. Sadly even those who won with their designs may not be able to place it due to the cost. Just... wow.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They seem to forget they already removed the gold from the game by making it just a number.
People never complained about having "too much" gold, they complained because they had to have it in 1mill checks and limited bank space.

Like many will continue to say, not everyone has 10+ plat in their accounts. In fact the majority would say they are rich if they are sitting with 100mill.

The Devs need to leave Atlantic and get out to see the "real players" of UO and not just the Bank sitters in their 1 plat neon gimp suits.

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait.....they actually cost that much? What the actual f*ck. I haven't had that much gold for years. I'd have to sell everything I have to replace a keep that I already own. They can't be serious. This may be my final straw. UO your doing your players dirty. Sickening.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will cost me 50 bucks to convert my Keep and EA will get none.

Not sure when I will do that. Glad I only have one and No castles. Castle cost 75 bucks.

I swear I read the cost was going to be the uo price in the menu.

What if you want a different one? Do you have to pay again or do you get the gold back.

I have hungry pets. I do not need a gold sink.

Fundraiser. That is a hoot.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
...so that's what... about 3 billion with the siege exchange. Wow siege really REALLY got hosed.
"Firstly, the cost of contest housing will be uniform across all shards, including Siege Perilous."

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Firstly, the cost of contest housing will be uniform across all shards, including Siege Perilous."
I understand that. But as many know siege gold is worth about 10x that of regular shards due to their economy being... well healthy.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not even a good gold sink! Many of the castles can't be converted due to courtyard obsticles, many won't change necause the designs don't fit their needs, and a large portion of the player either can't or won't pay that obscene amount of gold for them. Even if everone converted (32 total castle spots per shard?) That's 9.5 plats. Is that amount worth pissing off the majority of players??? This is the absolute DUMBEST idea any team in the history of UO has ever come up with!!!

Angleswings

Adventurer
I made that point since they one!, you can see by the numbers of Keeps designed and compare with the numbers of castles. I made a point that people jumped so quickly to make a new castle designed but in the real world of UO, specially on Atlantic shard, what is really the chance of YOU own a castle??? , Castles are rare and the ones that is available or will be available for sale, will be in between 10-15p Minimum, I already saw few days ago a Keep for 4P. so everybody was rushing rushing to make a design of a Castle that only 1% of the people that play UO can afford... you have a better chance to own a Keep and I go even further, do you want to make some gold sink? allow us to plot a keep worldwide, take the restriction of tram and fel only...
I agree with everybody, so many other f2p shards make new contents that people want to buy so bad and they will buy, so UO could do the same thing, make new special dye tubs that will have a life spawn of 3 months only, something with a cool color or whatever that will last only 3 months and than will only come back a year later or so, there is so many things that they can do and I would buy with gold or sovereigns, no, instead they came up with a PEACOCK!!!!!:facepalm:

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I've thought about it.

These gold prices being requested for the castles are absolutely nothing.

I happily spent 450m on an original +20 stealth cloak for my rogue, it gave me something to aim for, I felt proud to achieve it, that's what the game is about.
I'm now saving 500m for an original lieutenants sash.

I do all this the hard way, spawning, pvming, collecting gold, selling some stuff etc.
Even on Siege I reckon I could grind this - although I could understand if they divided the costs by 10.

I remember back in the day, the 10m Ornament of the Magician was the item to have, and we all saved so hard to get it.
I remember the glacial white hair dye, which was a huge gold-sink that again we had to save for, but was a mark of distinction, and I loved having on my mage.

The Rares collectors deal in Plats only.
So do the Traders.

There is no point you all collecting this gold, or having the means to do it, and not using it.

These Castles are a premium item, to be shown off by the games most successful, you strive to get there and be one of them, they are a good gold-sink which is good for the game itself.

I'm ok with it.

We all have our thing, some it's Rares, some it's top end PvP/PvM gear, some it's Castles, some it's Pets - but at the top end, it's expensive, and has to be played for.

You can't have everything on a plate.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok, I've thought about it.

These gold prices being requested for the castles are absolutely nothing.

I happily spent 450m on an original +20 stealth cloak for my rogue, it gave me something to aim for, I felt proud to achieve it, that's what the game is about.
I'm now saving 500m for an original lieutenants sash.

I do all this the hard way, spawning, pvming, collecting gold, selling some stuff etc.
Even on Siege I reckon I could grind this - although I could understand if they divided the costs by 10.

I remember back in the day, the 10m Ornament of the Magician was the item to have, and we all saved so hard to get it.
I remember the glacial white hair dye, which was a huge gold-sink that again we had to save for, but was a mark of distinction, and I loved having on my mage.

The Rares collectors deal in Plats only.
So do the Traders.

There is no point you all collecting this gold, or having the means to do it, and not using it.

These Castles are a premium item, to be shown off by the games most successful, you strive to get there and be one of them, they are a good gold-sink which is good for the game itself.

I'm ok with it.

We all have our thing, some it's Rares, some it's top end PvP/PvM gear, some it's Castles, some it's Pets - but at the top end, it's expensive, and has to be played for.

You can't have everything on a plate.
what bothers me is that we hear all the time that this or that can not happen because the developers lack the time staff and resource to do yet this is something that has taken a huge amount of them. all that impacts less than 5% of the player base why even invite non castle owners or people with less than 100 million gold to be involved ..... this created expectations which leads to disappointment at the very least they should have stated up front that these would cost more and were intended to be a gold sink .....

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what bothers me is that we hear all the time that this or that can not happen because the developers lack the time staff and resource to do yet this is something that has taken a huge amount of them. all that impacts less than 5% of the player base why even invite non castle owners or people with less than 100 million gold to be involved ..... this created expectations which leads to disappointment at the very least they should have stated up front that these would cost more and were intended to be a gold sink .....

I get this. Maybe they could have been more up front about it, for sure.

I don't get where you say it creates expectations (among non castle owners), if someone didn't have a castle, they are not going to be affected anyway?

On the positive side;

• The actual contest was open to everyone, everyone who is creative and enjoys housing design got a chance, and they all really excelled, the effort that went in from the player-base was amazing - you can see how passionate the designers were - almost as passionate as us PvPers. ;) This is a good thing by the way.
  • The gold sink can help the game - and in theory - it only targets/taxes the rich - ie the players in castles.
  • The Winners can be proud their castles will be placed ingame.
  • The new design castle owners can show off to the rest of us...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*takes bong away from the devs* Sorry guys I was too late.
Don't be blaming their incompetence on that. I'm just stunned. I don't for a second believe they did this as a gold sink. If they did then they have no clue how a proper gold sink should work. I am really starting to wonder if those rumors about them running certain unnamed sites is actually true.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err, no. Those rumors have been around for longer than you've been posting here under your current name.
There is the small fact I have been banned from Stratics about 3 times. :)

(They were a very uptight bunch in the old days. :( ).

ps. That comment was half in jest also, I cannot prove who started them, it was a light hearted wind-up comment, don't take it so seriously. But I have always pushed that particular conspiracy theory amongst others, it is one I have adhered to. Truthfully, and logically - I could not reconcile why the Devs never seemed to do anything to cease/prevent/stop those sites, so I concluded they must have an interest in them. But I have no proof, and only partly believe it. I'm happy if I am proved wrong.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is the small fact I have been banned from Stratics about 3 times. :)

(They were a very uptight bunch in the old days. :( ).

ps. That comment was half in jest also, I cannot prove who started them, it was a light hearted wind-up comment, don't take it so seriously. But I have always pushed that particular conspiracy theory amongst others, it is one I have adhered to. Truthfully, and logically - I could not reconcile why the Devs never seemed to do anything to cease/prevent/stop those sites, so I concluded they must have an interest in them. But I have no proof, and only partly believe it. I'm happy if I am proved wrong.
oddly enough the price of gold went up last night on a site or two or so i heard from the guy behind brit bank :gee: