• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Contest Housing Pricing Update

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Except they were not wrong. A castle is a luxury in this game and an upgrade is a LUXURY. True, some don't have 300m on hand but that's why you save. Casual player can make 25-50m a month and in a few months they can afford that luxury upgrade. The backlash from the community was uncalled over this issue. They do not see the big picture of removing gold from this game and how it will help the game overall. Again this is 2018 and everyone who flips burgers wants $15 a hour and free medical.
Your opinion is so ignorant on so many different levels. Seriously. From the comment about over reacting to the health care issue I would strongly suggest that you actually take the time to educate yourself on topics instead of spouting soundbytes that you have heard/read. Basically what I am saying is:

:facepalm:

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I am still ticked off! They chose all those castle designs but only one keep! The current keep design has way too much unusable space. It would have been better to have gone at least 50-50.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Except they were not wrong. A castle is a luxury in this game and an upgrade is a LUXURY. True, some don't have 300m on hand but that's why you save. Casual player can make 25-50m a month and in a few months they can afford that luxury upgrade. The backlash from the community was uncalled over this issue. They do not see the big picture of removing gold from this game and how it will help the game overall. Again this is 2018 and everyone who flips burgers wants $15 a hour and free medical.
Wow. I have no comment that would not be deleted.

Sorry, I did not know there was a correct way to play UO. A casual player would be hard pressed to make 25 to 50M a month. Some have not made that much in years of casually playing. Not every player sees gold as the carrot that keeps them playing.

ThulsaDoom

Visitor
Your opinion is so ignorant on so many different levels. Seriously. From the comment about over reacting to the health care issue I would strongly suggest that you actually take the time to educate yourself on topics instead of spouting soundbytes that you have heard/read. Basically what I am saying is:

:facepalm:
I guess the topic hits close to home for you. I am sorry for your position in Ultima Online and in life but you can change that. Hard work and saving can earn you those things you wish to have. :thumbup:

ThulsaDoom

Visitor
Wow. I have no comment that would not be deleted.

Sorry, I did not know there was a correct way to play UO. A casual player would be hard pressed to make 25 to 50M a month. Some have not made that much in years of casually playing. Not every player sees gold as the carrot that keeps them playing.
A casual player would be hard pressed to make 25-50m month? Do you just sit in the bank and chat all day and if so then you earn nothing. Do a spawn, partake in EM events, buy and sell, craft, or any of the other hundreds of things that can earn you gold. Yes, gold might not be the carrot BUT if you want things in this game they cost gold. Pretty simple. If you prefer not to go that route that's OK too just don't complain when you don't have the means to afford anything.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess the topic hits close to home for you. I am sorry for your position in Ultima Online and in life but you can change that. Hard work and saving can earn you those things you wish to have. :thumbup:
Ok let me walk you through it:

1. Calling it a gold sink was a joke. A one time removal of a beyond measly amount (in comparisons to the TRILLIONS currently in game) is not a gold sink.

2. As long as duping is prevalent (and it is) a real gold sink (which the original pricing of the conversions was not) is fruitless and amounts to bailing the ocean with a bucket (I borrowed that analogy from someone can't remember who sorry).

3. Obviously if they changed it then it was indeed deemed to be excessive.

4. Don't worry about my personal lifes "standing". I can assure you, I nor my family have needs for anything. I do appreciate your concern though.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A casual player would be hard pressed to make 25-50m month? Do you just sit in the bank and chat all day and if so then you earn nothing. Do a spawn, partake in EM events, buy and sell, craft, or any of the other hundreds of things that can earn you gold. Yes, gold might not be the carrot BUT if you want things in this game they cost gold. Pretty simple. If you prefer not to go that route that's OK too just don't complain when you don't have the means to afford anything.
Come to Origin and make that in a month even if you did spawns all day long without being raided(you can for the most part) and got all decent 120 every time it would take months to sell them on Origin (it takes months to sell most anything on all but 2 shards it seems from reading what others have to say so lets say you do somehow get good scolls to sell you are taking them to Atl to sell which if you don't have shard shields cost real money.....

ThulsaDoom

Visitor
Come to Origin and make that in a month even if you did spawns all day long without being raided(you can for the most part) and got all decent 120 every time it would take months to sell them on Origin (it takes months to sell most anything on all but 2 shards it seems from reading what others have to say so lets say you do somehow get good scolls to sell you are taking them to Atl to sell which if you don't have shard shields cost real money.....
I played Origin for years, 10+ so I know the lack of population on Origin. Your right it would be nearly impossible to sell anything there. So you have to invest in a transfer token or use shard shields and off to Atlantic you go. Many people will even help you out and haul for free (just saw a post on Acid Rain offering free shard xfers for items). You can also invest in a transfer token and recoup that loss on the back end when you sell your items. You have to go through some hurdles but that's what it takes.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now i am going to go out on a limb here but the reasonable thing to do was for them to make the price specific to each shard now i will assume that they can scan and see how many players there are active on each shard i will also assume they can scan each player and see how much gold they have then you simple divide A by B and come up with the median wealth of each shard and set the prices accordingly. now ii know someone is going to say they don't have the time staff or resources for this kinda stuff but look at what they have already invested in this fool hardy debacle and it's something that really shouldn't be an issue...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I played Origin for years, 10+ so I know the lack of population on Origin. Your right it would be nearly impossible to sell anything there. So you have to invest in a transfer token or use shard shields and off to Atlantic you go. Many people will even help you out and haul for free (just saw a post on Acid Rain offering free shard xfers for items). You can also invest in a transfer token and recoup that loss on the back end when you sell your items. You have to go through some hurdles but that's what it takes.
I transfer things for people all the time for free... I have a full set of shields to every shard... maybe that's my problem though right there I should stop being a nice community minded person and start being a greedy SOB and maybe then I'd make a couple bucks in the game...

Sorry but that isn't why I play UO... I play UO for the friendships and community. Not to be a greedy sob and think only of making a buck in the game.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It always goes the same way, this is the price they had in mind but they knew people would complain, so they temporarily gave us a much higher price, so that when they then rolled out what they wanted we all just accepted it with no complaint!
Eh, I think I would simply lean towards stupid idea over conspiracy to manipulate us. Simpler explanation.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And how much of your abundant wealth did you dump in the trash can this morning, as a show of Dev Solidarity ? That's what I thought.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the price is still 10X what it should be. You can place an original castle for 1M, so why are these 20X more for the same storage? I had an empty castle I was going to replace with one of the new designs just to test the process and see if I liked it, but at these prices it's not worth it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is why I have 3 Mil on Origin and 300 Mil on Atlantic....as sad as that is, I can't make that kind of gold on Origin even if I wanted to put my vendors back up and sell stuff....so off to the UO Mall I go! LOL I do love Atlantic even though some of the prices are insane, that's how I make my gold.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And how much of your abundant wealth did you dump in the trash can this morning, as a show of Dev Solidarity ? That's what I thought.
I am so poor that this would no affect me. Lets stick with what is about to happen. We will all start with 0 points at the new dungeon and our old points and new points have to be spent by next year.

What if the devs did this with gold. As of Oct 1st you have 6 months to spend all of your gold because at the end of six months all gold will be wiped and UO will now use a new form of in game money.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What if the devs did this with gold. As of Oct 1st you have 6 months to spend all of your gold because at the end of six months all gold will be wiped and UO will now use a new form of in game money.
Or they could still use gold, just wipe out all existing at server up one day and we all start over collecting...it will give the dupers more incentive to keep working too!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They should have put in a gold cap long ago, then there would be no issues due to inflation. Something like 5-10 platinum, also there should've been a cap of accounts one person can own. I could find out whos duping in this game in less then a month just by judging how many accounts they own. Noone has that many accounts just for playing the game and its obvious, just look through those accounts houses and storage and ill bet you find millions of duped items from gold to halos.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It always goes the same way, this is the price they had in mind but they knew people would complain, so they temporarily gave us a much higher price, so that when they then rolled out what they wanted we all just accepted it with no complaint!
If true, that is a really efficient way to lose players' good will long term.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They should have put in a gold cap long ago, then there would be no issues due to inflation. Something like 5-10 platinum, also there should've been a cap of accounts one person can own. I could find out whos duping in this game in less then a month just by judging how many accounts they own. Noone has that many accounts just for playing the game and its obvious, just look through those accounts houses and storage and ill bet you find millions of duped items from gold to halos.
I have a multiple of accounts.. most of them given to me by friends who have left the game or even passed away... I don't dupe, don't autobox none of that... I really don't even vendor stuff.. I do however always collect my gifts... which can sometimes take me a day or two to complete... I sometimes might have 2 characters on at the same time generally for RP purposes... but for the most part it's storage... house keeping and my love of design and deco that keeps me maintaining so many accounts...

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still too expensive. Mine opinion. Methinks 'twould take a long long time to make 46M gold even an' one doth be killing a Miasma every two minutes.
Go and do some peerless, crimson cinctures on Atlantic still sell for 25million + So you only need 2. There are lots of things that are easy to do that have decent drops that sell for millions on normal shards. Despise and Covetous lvl 3 also do decent drops as well as doom and of course shadowguard. You can make that kinda money just selling farmed essences quickly on any shard. Just put a little work in.

Gee I do a lot of peerless on Siege and in the last few months have had at least 4 drop. Only on siege ya only get 2m for em lol.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so poor that this would no affect me. Lets stick with what is about to happen. We will all start with 0 points at the new dungeon and our old points and new points have to be spent by next year.

Hehe. I've been thinking about something like this! Some soft, limited reboot. Everybody needs to travel 100000 years back in time because of reasons. You do this time travelling by stepping though a super special time-moongate. Nothing moves there with you. All the gear stays behind. Gold can be neither looted nor spend in these past lands. Time travel between the past and present as you wish - Just that nothing can ever be taken with you. Except these time rift repairing past-tokens you looted from past-champs. You can haul them to present day and use em as a new currency for unlocking cool rewards for all the heroic **** you pulled in the past lands.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oh please. you could farm demons casually for a week or so and make 30m. champs and shadowguard drop a ton of gold. Gold is easy to get, let alone gaining scrolls, artifacts, armor/jewels etc that sell for crazy amounts to players that already have gold.

One event item drop could net 50-500m

i used to know a guy years ago that partnered up with a pvp/spawning guild. he would scout spawns all day, alert his guild. his guild would take the spawn, killt he champ. they'd all roll on the scrolls and he'd get a chance to win some too for scouting efforts. on top of that this guy would pick up every gold stakc at every spawn, whether his or another guild did it, the gold was always elft behind and he'd pick it up.

that guy ended up absolutely filthy rich before he stopped doing that and turned his attention to rares trading.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
> you could farm demons casually for a week or so and make 30m
At 1K per minute, it would take three weeks of 24 hour days to make 30M.

Y'all are talking about selling drops and such -- but gold cometh from monster loot and treasure chests ultimately.
An' thou dost sell thy "drop" for a huge price, it still representeth a tremendous number of hours that someone, Someone, hath put in slaying monsters.

Me, mayhaps I could spend an hour or two per day slayin' an' lootin' demons. Doing this, the 30M representeth mayhaps a year of effort.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Demon loot is around 600 gold so you only need to kill 50 000 to get to that casually 30 mil a week! And if you do it in 12 second, kill and loot, then its working if you do it 24/7 .

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That really wouldn't accomplish anything other than making rarer items impossible to sell for currency until a reasonable currency supply reestablished itself, which would take years most likely. To get the effect of a 100m item being sold for 100k (or whatever) you would want to convert the currency (and adjust the rate of influx correspondingly of course), not remove the current currency, then implement a new one. Currency does not have any inherent value. Items aren't hard to buy because there's a lot of currency.

Of course inflation is not a real problem, it's only an aesthetic problem.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Demon loot is around 600 gold so you only need to kill 50 000 to get to that casually 30 mil a week! And if you do it in 12 second, kill and loot, then its working if you do it 24/7 .
Yeah, that's why people shouldn't use the gold dropped off of monsters as a metric for whether or not something is too expensive. Looting gold off of monsters is probably the worst (most inefficient) possible way to amass currency.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Y'all are talking about selling drops and such -- but gold cometh from monster loot and treasure chests ultimately.
An' thou dost sell thy "drop" for a huge price, it still representeth a tremendous number of hours that someone, Someone, hath put in slaying monsters.
Well, it represents some level of man hours, not necessarily an individual's work, anyway. You shouldn't view the price tag on an item in terms of "how many demons do I have to slay to get this item?" That just ignores the workings of the economy, and the real way that one should go about getting the currency to buy the things they want. If you expect to buy everything from money you personally looted you're doomed before you start.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for selling drops the reason for doing the events is to get the drop to keep not to sell... Unlike many I only do events on my home shard... I honestly could care less what happens on other shards that's not my home and I feel it's not right for me to take something from the people that live there just to make a buck. It's their event on their shard... they ought to get a higher chance at the reward.

I don't often sell event drops anyway.

As for making gold my archer can only loot 2000 gold that's the max he can carry ..... between bows, bandages, potions and the like there simply isn't any room for much else.

Most my tamers can loot to their hearts content but you have to then factor in the cost of the powder for the BoS and such before you figure all the "profit" unless you are recalling in and out and there are far better mobs to be killing who carry far more gold than a demon... but the fact remains that no matter what you are hunting it takes a long time to get to where you are making a profit... from wear and tear on your armor, need for repairs, upgrades, need for buying equipment, pots, bandages, what have you it all costs.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly with BODs 50 mil is doable but only on shards that have a market for runics. For 50 mil you would need about 500 copper runic bods to hit that number. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't. To gain 50 mil in a month would require ~13 bods a day. Problem though of course is if you are on a dead shard with no ability to transfer then this method won't work.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, that's why people shouldn't use the gold dropped off of monsters as a metric for whether or not something is too expensive. Looting gold off of monsters is probably the worst (most inefficient) possible way to amass currency.
Sooner or later someone is going to have to amass it. There are only 2 ways gold enters the game, loot or dupe. Pray tell what metric should be used then.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooner or later someone is going to have to amass it. There are only 2 ways gold enters the game, loot or dupe. Pray tell what metric should be used then.
I understand, but my point is that as an individual, it's not a good idea to look at it in those terms, because as has been pointed out, you can't realistically expect yourself to farm monsters to make 30m (or whatever) in a reasonable period of time.

The way to make money in this game as everyone I'm sure already realizes is to sell things to other players.

I'm not saying don't collect gold, but looking to loot gold to buy anything expensive is just going to drive you crazy. There are far easier ways to do it.

Shiranui Renn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I understand, but my point is that as an individual, it's not a good idea to look at it in those terms, because as has been pointed out, you can't realistically expect yourself to farm monsters to make 30m (or whatever) in a reasonable period of time.
That just shows how broken the economy already is. If we had a healthy economy there shouldn't be any need to get your hands on 30m.
The way to make money in this game as everyone I'm sure already realizes is to sell things to other players.
Where do you think this gold is coming from that other players pay for the things you sell? If it doesn't come from looting monsters there's only 1 option left.
I'm not saying don't collect gold, but looking to loot gold to buy anything expensive is just going to drive you crazy.
The only thing that drive you crazy is the inflation in this game. If you think that it's normal to pay 20m or more for a single 120 skill scroll you are insane.
There are far easier ways to do it.
That's true. Goldseller. Takes only a minute to get your hands on a few platin to fill up your bank.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That just shows how broken the economy already is. If we had a healthy economy there shouldn't be any need to get your hands on 30m.
I don't think that's a reflection of a broken economy it's a reflection of the fact that there are a lot of high demand low supply items. Nothing you can do to the currency will allow for a player to go farm demons for a couple of days to get a top tier item. That's a result of scarcity, nothing more. If scarcity exists, those items will always take a relatively exorbitant exchange in value to acquire be it bartering with currency or other rare items.

Where do you think this gold is coming from that other players pay for the things you sell? If it doesn't come from looting monsters there's only 1 option left.
Everyone adds gold to the overall pool of gold. It then gets shifted around from player to player. I'm sure duping happens too, but the amount of gold that all players add daily to the pool is always going to be substantial.

The only thing that drive you crazy is the inflation in this game. If you think that it's normal to pay 20m or more for a single 120 skill scroll you are insane.
Currency value is relative, my friend. If you cut the numbers down to 1/10th or 1/100th of what they are now it would not effect your buying power in the slightest. A 120 scroll would be just as hard to get when it only costs 200k, because 200k will be relatively as difficult to attain in that setting as 20m would be in the current one. That's just how it works. You cannot make scarce items affordable by any means other than making them less scarce.

That's true. Goldseller. Takes only a minute to get your hands on a few platin to fill up your bank.
That's true, but what I was referring to is making gold by selling other less rare items to other players for smaller amounts than what rare items run you, but for far larger than you can expect to get from monsters in a reasonable period of time.
I mean, I think we all understand how this works, don't we?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Everyone adds gold to the overall pool of gold. It then gets shifted around from player to player. I'm sure duping happens too, but the amount of gold that all players add daily to the pool is always going to be substantial.
I disagree the amount added daily isn’t really all that substantial.

Out of 27 shards, Excepting Atlantic , I would doubt the average gold generation of the other 26 combined exceeds 1 platinum a day. When you see gold sellers consistently advertising amounts far in excess (100x+) of that, it becomes far less a substantial number.

The bigger issue I feel is still the Scripting/Botting/Duping is the biggest factor. Some of the same folks doing those things are also your Gold Sellers, and always seem to be the people selling event drops and other top tier items. Gold isn’t so much being redistributed in some cases as rented. Player A wants an event drop, buys gold from Player B, uses gold to buy Item from Player B. Player B made cash and got their gold back...

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand gold sink and all, but where did these prices come from? Is this how much it would have
cost to build these houses? Definitely not...I really liked 2 of the designs but at 50 mill for the 2 I will have
to pass. That is just insane. I wonder how many other players are thinking the same. @Mesanna, I really wish you
all would rethink the pricing of these new houses.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree the amount added daily isn’t really all that substantial.

Out of 27 shards, Excepting Atlantic , I would doubt the average gold generation of the other 26 combined exceeds 1 platinum a day. When you see gold sellers consistently advertising amounts far in excess (100x+) of that, it becomes far less a substantial number.

The bigger issue I feel is still the Scripting/Botting/Duping is the biggest factor. Some of the same folks doing those things are also your Gold Sellers, and always seem to be the people selling event drops and other top tier items. Gold isn’t so much being redistributed in some cases as rented. Player A wants an event drop, buys gold from Player B, uses gold to buy Item from Player B. Player B made cash and got their gold back...
I can't say how much gold gets made a day, I just don't have the data. I would imagine that the influx of gold has dwindled at the same rate the population has decreased. Anyways, there was around 20 years of mostly uninterrupted 24/7 gold farming going on, and over that period I have to imagine people have harvested an astronomical sum. How much of that gold is in circulation still I have no idea. I would guess a lot of it, but again, it's just speculation.