• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unusual Items Received From Killing Trade Order Ambushers

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I've gotten 10 "curious item" drops in about 3.5 hours of playing today. I don't know if the drop rate improved or if it was because I changed what I was doing, i.e., walking very very slowly while outside town guard zones, pretty much sticking to the roads as much as possible because it takes longer that way. This means going from Minoc to Skara Brae takes about 40-45 minutes with about 35 ambushers along the way and from Minoc to Trinsic takes about 50 minutes with about 52 ambushers along the way. I have been using a tamer who drags along a greater dragon.

Since this started, I've gotten 5 amulets, 3 phylacteries, 2 goblets, 2 incense, 1 scourge, 1 wand, and 1 gorget. Still need the map, tome, boline, and stole to get a complete set on the shard where I've been doing this so far. I'm pretty sure that I inadvertently pitched a scourge the first day because it came from an orc and I thought it was one of the whips some of the orcs crop. I suspect I might have overlooked a wand on the first or second day too.
This. Walk, don't run. Seems to make an enormous difference.

I also play a female char and dress like "I'm asking for it". That may help, gotta look like a victim for them ambushers!

But definitely, get off your mount, toggle off 'always run' and you get ambushed WAAAYYYY more frequently. Night and Day type of a difference.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This. Walk, don't run. Seems to make an enormous difference.

I also play a female char and dress like "I'm asking for it". That may help, gotta look like a victim for them ambushers!

But definitely, get off your mount, toggle off 'always run' and you get ambushed WAAAYYYY more frequently. Night and Day type of a difference.

Going confirm to this. Ambushers come out more often if you slow down and walk.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont have a problem with spawning ambushers I have a serious problem with the drop rate of the items. The only thing I have done since this thing went live and was 'fixed' is this, probably 6-8 hrs for past three days for a total of 7 of which 3 are doubles. Totally disappointing for the amount of hours and the amount of ambushers killed. I have given up even counting how many I have done and killed in those hours.

On each run I am generating about 190,000 + in gold for the city, and for that I get like 100 yew boards oh and the .1 camping pink was a real 'gem'. This is frankly becoming not fun. If and when I get just one flipping set of the crap, (if i ever do) I am quitting. @Kyronix improve the drop rate so that that at least every 3/4 completed runs you get something. God I hate it when for some reason they think that having people grind for hour upon hour upon hour makes for a fun game. I understand that yeah we dont want a drop every kill but the rate this is set at is just pretty soul destroying.

Anyways logging for the day even though I technically have hours more in which I could play, I just can't be bothered now, so tired of getting zip.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Both the drop rate and spawn rate seem lower in comparison to before. I went the whole day yesterday without a drop. As my daughter would say, 'i suspect Nargles'

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Although my tamer is a peace tamer, I rarely use peacemaking while fighting the ambushers. I have this hare-brained theory that if I area peace the ambusher spawn, it might decrease the chances of getting a curious item.
Does peace even work on them? Discord and provo don't... *mutters*

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not making any additional effort for drops - I always did runs for the money for my city that I govern, and the normal rewards.

Sometimes I can even make a Britain to Minoc run without an ambush - though typically I'll wait in the small gap between the Gypsy camp and Minoc proper for one to show up.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does peace even work on them? Discord and provo don't... *mutters*
Noticed that Discord doesn't work as my pet doesn't even bother trying to discord them. He'll discord anything else even silly rats and mogbats but not these... which is sad.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont have a problem with spawning ambushers I have a serious problem with the drop rate of the items. The only thing I have done since this thing went live and was 'fixed' is this, probably 6-8 hrs for past three days for a total of 7 of which 3 are doubles. Totally disappointing for the amount of hours and the amount of ambushers killed. I have given up even counting how many I have done and killed in those hours.

On each run I am generating about 190,000 + in gold for the city, and for that I get like 100 yew boards oh and the .1 camping pink was a real 'gem'. This is frankly becoming not fun. If and when I get just one flipping set of the crap, (if i ever do) I am quitting. @Kyronix improve the drop rate so that that at least every 3/4 completed runs you get something. God I hate it when for some reason they think that having people grind for hour upon hour upon hour makes for a fun game. I understand that yeah we dont want a drop every kill but the rate this is set at is just pretty soul destroying.

Anyways logging for the day even though I technically have hours more in which I could play, I just can't be bothered now, so tired of getting zip.

I couldn't agree more. 0 items in 2 days walking from Vesper to Skara at least 5 times among many others. A guildmate is saying she averages one item every 6-8 hours. Despite all the "cheerleading" going on I have seen several people who reactivated accounts to try out new content end up being "underwhelmed" to put it nicely. It's like the dev team sits down and says ohhh this looks fun, let's do the opposite

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I couldn't agree more. 0 items in 2 days walking from Vesper to Skara at least 5 times among many others. A guildmate is saying she averages one item every 6-8 hours. Despite all the "cheerleading" going on I have seen several people who reactivated accounts to try out new content end up being "underwhelmed" to put it nicely. It's like the dev team sits down and says ohhh this looks fun, let's do the opposite
I've not been that nice. And I won't be... Underwhelmed is too nice... Disgusted, irritated and thoroughly disappointed is closer...