• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online to receive a huge pile of new content very soon, including a Free to play - option!!

Does this sound awesome?

• YES!!!

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Verily!

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Indeed!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aye

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mesanna introduced High Seas 2.0 and everything on that slide as "their list," which to me was like trying to gauge us to see if we would want these things. I do think High Seas 2.0 is something we would want. There were also a couple or a few good ideas for High Seas, where then Mesanna and the devs said they want to fix High Seas bugs first, as Nexus said, which was different from what they said when they introduced the slide XD.

One of the cooler ideas I thought that was offered during Q&A was the idea of a Vice vs. Virtue tie-in system where people could command a stronghold on the sea, but Mesanna responded that there were still issues with the way cannons work and the time it takes to make it all work. I told my guildmate Dak, I teased, "When cannons and pirates came out, I solo'd pirates. Cannons aren't that hard." I got lucky, though, too. I got my white dye tub on my first or second pirate ship.
In the hope they are looking for ideas...I have started this thread for High Seas 2.0 suggestions:

High Seas 2.,0--Let's post suggestions here

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
endless journey, I hope it doesn't mean endless scripting
Endless scripting is already a thing as long as you are not that poor bugger training skills in Haven. The question is: Will they finally start policing scripters? I mean there has been like half a dozen instances of blatant cheating pointed out here on Stratics (and getting deleted within an hour ;)). Cheaters went for weeks on end, were reported multiple times, but no action whatsoever was taken by Broadsword. If they just stick to that, nothing will really change at all.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imagine just killing putrifier on every shard with 100+ chars. Enough to 1 shot Everytime it spawns, on several shards at once. The amount of loot would be even more rediculous than it is now.
Seems unlikely. EJ people will be out there doing their thing and trying to get gear for themselves no doubt, just like everyone else.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully, they won't just treat them as second class citizens. FTP should be first class citizens as well (Normal loot, Powerscrolls, Quests, etc.) but only with the difference that they are generating the revenue through micro-transactions instead of paying 10 bucks each month up front.
Just an unlimited trial account.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Endless scripting is already a thing as long as you are not that poor bugger training skills in Haven. The question is: Will they finally start policing scripters? I mean there has been like half a dozen instances of blatant cheating pointed out here on Stratics (and getting deleted within an hour ;)). Cheaters went for weeks on end, were reported multiple times, but no action whatsoever was taken by Broadsword. If they just stick to that, nothing will really change at all.
EJ people probably won't be scripting anything... they can't get any resources aside from plain wood, ore and leather, and they don't get drops. So I wouldn't worry about it.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just an unlimited trial account.
Well, then I hope they find enough people who like to be second class citizens and not engage in anything with a reward. No Powerscrolls, no colored ore, no quests (ok, maybe each quest once per account, lol), etc. p.p.

I have half a dozen FTP or one-time fee online games on my PS4, that don't treat you second class. But for UO, people are gonna love it, I'm sure :D

• Players are not allowed to place a house while on a trial account
  • Players are not allowed to co-own or be traded a house while on a trial account
  • Trial accounts have travel restrictions –
    • Cannot visit Felucca dungeons or Felucca T2A
  • Trial Accounts have the following resource restrictions –
    • Will only receive basic ores and logs (iron, plain logs) even if they’d otherwise qualify for better types
    • Will not receive sand or stone when mining
  • Trial Account Misc. restrictions –
    • Will not receive ML rewards for resource gathering (jewels, ingredients, and white pearls while fishing)
    • Will not receive rewards, monster kill points, or virtue points from champ spawns
    • Will not get scrolls while doing champ spawns
    • Will not gain Justice virtue points for killing murderers
    • Cannot use Valor or Justice virtues
    • Cannot Protect or be Protected by another player
    • Cannot use Scrolls of Alacrity, Power Scrolls, Stat Scrolls, or Scrolls of Transcendence
    • Cannot use Commodity Deeds
    • Cannot do Community Collections
    • Cannot use Soulstones or fragment soulstones
    • Cannot use Pet summoning balls
    • Cannot use Bracelets of Binding
    • Cannot use the Bag of Sending
    • Cannot do any repeatable quests – even if they are normally repeatable
    • Cannot acquire BOD’s
    • Can only join the Help Channel of Global Chat

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, then I hope they find enough people who like to be second class citizens and not engage in anything with a reward. No Powerscrolls, no colored ore, no quests (ok, maybe each quest once per account, lol), etc. p.p.

I have half a dozen FTP or one-time fee online games on my PS4, that don't treat you second class. But for UO, people are gonna love it, I'm sure :D
I mean, that's how all games with subs and a f2p option work. There's still a **** load of stuff for a new person to do.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Whats the link to that EJ account info you quoted there? Thanks

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More of a worry is the players signing up for the EJ and seeing how much scripting and cheating is going on with the paying players and saying "**** this" before just walking away before ever even considering if its worth the subscription price.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Most games that are free-to-play also have other options, the premium route for those that pay regularly and want full access plus a middle-road for people that pay occasionally, the middle option is often very popular as you get the best of both worlds to some extent. UO is going for more of an all-or-nothing approach. Not sure how well UO will do getting new players without that third option.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More of a worry is the players signing up for the EJ and seeing how much scripting and cheating is going on with the paying players and saying "**** this" before just walking away before ever even considering if its worth the subscription price.
They might also wonder where they can buy gold, since gear and most everything costs 1m upwards and from ettins they only get like 200gp per kill. Thouroughly thought through as usual, I'm 100% sure :D RMT sites must be celebrating right now.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just hope that they add a South America server when they bring this Endless Journey to light, for reasons.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems unlikely. EJ people will be out there doing their thing and trying to get gear for themselves no doubt, just like everyone else.
Just as unlikely as someone doing it with 30 paid accounts?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
See it in WoW all the time. I multi-boxed elemental shaman in PVP once on 5 accounts and was "1" shotting people all the time with chain lightning. LOL They'd see me move and see a blur of 5 characters and get hit by 5 chain lightnings. It was legal in WoW though. They're my five accounts.

A Synergy server is what I used.
Interesting, is that still legal in WOW?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure, haven't played it in a while. I never got warned or any action and never made it a secret. It was obvious what I was doing.
Just thinking, if that's acceptable practice in a massively popular game like WOW, no wonder players do it UO

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't catch a mention of a skill cap restriction. Makes sense it is there I guess it would be mostly to restrict existing players from having a ton of F2P dud chars for various purposes. It is a bit hard to imagine a brand new player with a pure F2P account who'd very quickly reach a stage where lowered skill cap is only thing holding him back. By the time it becomes relevant for some potential imaginary new player to start eating power scrolls, one is pretty hooked already.

I think F2P accounts' only hard restriction should be with housing and storage. That alone would be perfect and suffice just fine. As notable exception, various small and large safe guards that prevent abuse of Endless Journey-accounts in anything too important.
Agree with the only hard restriction being housing and storage. I'm ok with no vet rewards, no EM drops / rewards and reduced bank storage, even having paid for the extra storage years ago. I would be ok with no storage on boats....but no boats at all?!? Bummed out that boats will not be included in EJ, since I purchased High Seas years ago also. Now I would have to pay monthly for game content I've already purchased. idk how all that will be handled or even addressed, but if there can be talk about wanting more for keeping a paying monthly subscription let's include in the conversation the things that have already been purchased on an account that will be inaccessible.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If they go with this then they will have most likely have a two pronged approach, one will be the subscription, but the other will be an item store or mall(which they have and will likely expand). They will have some things available on store where you not likely need subscription to use. For example, if they buy the high seas expansion, then they will not likely need to have subscription to use or to get the content for high seas(ships, Corgul, pirates, ect).

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, probably more unlikely since the characters will be less effective.
Why would the chars be less effective tho? They could be just as effective as on a paid acct

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think a big issue the team has is that a lot of people I see claiming to see people doing wrongdoing don't consider that it's an MMO and just because they don't know how something is being done it doesn't mean it isn't being done legitimately. I'm not saying that cheating isn't going on by any means, I'm just saying people are crying wolf too much probably.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So pay for one month to eat scrolls then let the account become EJ?
Supposedly once a subscription account turns off it receives a 90 day ban preventing it from logging in using EJ, to provide enough time for the house to idoc before letting them come back for free.

So you would have to be willing to not play at all for 90 days if your scroll idea is used.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just make it so if go ej no scrolls you ate will work max skill level 100

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know what would be great? An official post/newsletter showing what the current planned differences are between EJ and paid accounts. End the speculation and give some facts.
Well for right now, it's safe to assume that the limitation for trial accounts are what we can expect, as that's what it's based on.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like any account can become ej if not paid. Hopefully they release plenty of details for discussion before it is released.
I expect functional caps on EJ accounts to be at gm. Would be silly if they weren't. That said...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless there is more that hasn't been reported, I don't even see a reason to login for the next year and half. VVV regardless of how they update it will never be better then factions was. High Seas isn't worth spending any time on, only thing it ever had was corgul and I doubt that's gonna change. Not sure what the quest system is referring too. I was supposed to be there and didn't go, im kinda glad I didn't go. EJ is gonna force whats left of PvP into dungeon fights to avoid mass trial accts of stupid nonsense. EJ will also bring more cheating and scamming to the game. I don't see whats so bright about whats to come.
LOL I was going to go.......... more than a little glad I didn't. Took the bulk of the weekend and went to a friends Cabin in the Ozarks and we proceeded to drink and pretend to fish. And yep sounds like a turd stew simmering to me in UO. I hear Bonnie at some point said UOs population was healthy......................................

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Supposedly once a subscription account turns off it receives a 90 day ban preventing it from logging in using EJ, to provide enough time for the house to idoc before letting them come back for free.

So you would have to be willing to not play at all for 90 days if your scroll idea is used.
Captn help me understand something here since you usually make sense :) I have seen post saying or eluding to the moment your paid sub lapses, you go into EJ hell and your bank contents are up for grabs. So say as I did last pay cycle for my accts, errr forgot to transfer money into the UO sub bank account and payment on half of my accounts subs were declined. No big deal I transferred the money the next morning, and just resubbed using the same credit card. Done this a couple of times over the years, sometimes catch it right away, other times it might be a week or two. Is that changing? to where if that happens the lapsed account whether it be 1 minute lapsed or a week lapsed going to cause problems like being made EJ and unable to resub for 90 days? A lot of BS floating around and I am having hard separating the nuggets of corn from the green goo in the pie.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let's say somebody starts off with an EJ account and then decides to pay monthly so they can have a house. They are still going to have to battle it out with that terrible account management page.

It wouldn't surprise me if more people have quit/left UO due to the account management shambles than they will ever get back with these FTP accounts.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wouldn't surprise me if more people have quit/left UO due to the account management shambles than they will ever get back with these FTP accounts.

That sack of **** of a system has cost them a great deal of money. :l It is crazy they haven't repaired it. It has been what it is for..what, 12 years now??

.....However, I suppose it has mostly cost them money via countless would-be-returning-vets deciding well, not to due to all the ridiculous curves involved. Last I checked, it even includes out-dated text, lol. ( Speaks of " EA Master Account" rather than Origin and so on. ) If you are an entirely new player creating a brand new account, it is..slightly less bad.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was under the impression that the EJ accounts would all be capped at GM, so using powerscrolls on them would be pointless. Is this not the case?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was under the impression that the EJ accounts would all be capped at GM, so using powerscrolls on them would be pointless. Is this not the case?
From what I have read its pretty much the same as a normal account but you cannot have a house, no EM drops, no VET rewards and some different kind of bank system. I don't think there has been any official statement yet so everything is just speculation.

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just hope that they add a South America server when they bring this Endless Journey to light, for reasons.
i send email to bs every month about that, actually in Brazil the priv servers have over 2000 players online right now if you sum all of they.

i bring 5 new players to atl from priv servers this month, everyone thinking in how the f2p can be good to our comunnity.

a good idea is maybe don't open a whole new server maybe just xfer a "empty" server to here? like Legends any server actually in East Coast

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Captn help me understand something here since you usually make sense :) I have seen post saying or eluding to the moment your paid sub lapses, you go into EJ hell and your bank contents are up for grabs. So say as I did last pay cycle for my accts, errr forgot to transfer money into the UO sub bank account and payment on half of my accounts subs were declined. No big deal I transferred the money the next morning, and just resubbed using the same credit card. Done this a couple of times over the years, sometimes catch it right away, other times it might be a week or two. Is that changing? to where if that happens the lapsed account whether it be 1 minute lapsed or a week lapsed going to cause problems like being made EJ and unable to resub for 90 days? A lot of BS floating around and I am having hard separating the nuggets of corn from the green goo in the pie.
The part about it immediately happening was a misunderstanding due to Mesanna not hearing the question right from what I was told. What really happens is that when the account subscription ends, the account owner still has 90 days to renew the subscription before the house idoc's like they do currently, however they cannot log in their account for free using EJ until after those 90 days. If the subscription is renewed before the end of the 90 days, the house will not idoc and the player can log back in again.

The bank contents will not be auctioned off, that was another misunderstanding. The developers are creating a completely new type of storage that is different from the bank. When the subscription ends, the items inside that new type of storage is what gets put up for auction.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I have read its pretty much the same as a normal account but you cannot have a house, no EM drops, no VET rewards and some different kind of bank system. I don't think there has been any official statement yet so everything is just speculation.
They said it's removing time limit from the trial account, so assume all the limitations of a trial account, unless otherwise stated will apply.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The part about it immediately happening was a misunderstanding due to Mesanna not hearing the question right from what I was told. What really happens is that when the account subscription ends, the account owner still has 90 days to renew the subscription before the house idoc's like they do currently, however they cannot log in their account for free using EJ until after those 90 days. If the subscription is renewed before the end of the 90 days, the house will not idoc and the player can log back in again.

The bank contents will not be auctioned off, that was another misunderstanding. The developers are creating a completely new type of storage that is different from the bank. When the subscription ends, the items inside that new type of storage is what gets put up for auction.
Thank You, that makes a lot more sense than the bulk of what I have been reading and hearing in game.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So in effect, as far as doing the 90-day shuffle, nothing whatsoever has changed. All they have stated is that once your account reverts to EJ status you won't be able to login in on that account and use your house.

All the 90-day players can just carry on as normal.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

Well IMHO 90 days is absurd for a house to drop. But that's not my call. If you haven't logged in for 3 months and noticed your account is inactive... well... I can't even wrap my head around that. Anyway...I feel the issue that has people bouncing off the walls is if they will be able to use the house that isn't payed for with other active accounts. I'll be really interested in seeing how that plays out. Maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon and save a few bucks too. Why not? There's a lot of speculation right now and I'll be interested to see how it pans out *if* and *when* they get to it. People tend to think that they say something it will happen tomorrow. In my experience everything tends to take a loooong time. Like the castle design tool. It seems like one could kick that out pretty quick but who knows when it will actually happen. I've become a real I'll believe it when I see it guy when it comes to UO.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
So how does one have a paid account that used power scrolls then go to a EJ account with a 100 cap? I'm not sure that would work. Not sure they'd do that. Would you lose the 120 and have it go down to 100? Lots of speculation. I don't think that option would be viable. Plus you want the trial accounts to be competitive. The game won't be as interesting if you get your butt kicked all the time lol. It's housing that makes people want real accounts anyway. I could see them not getting gifts or we'd all make 100 accounts lol