• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online to receive a huge pile of new content very soon, including a Free to play - option!!

Does this sound awesome?

• YES!!!

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Verily!

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Indeed!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aye

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So how does one have a paid account that used power scrolls then go to a EJ account with a 100 cap? I'm not sure that would work. Not sure they'd do that. Would you lose the 120 and have it go down to 100? Lots of speculation. I don't think that option would be viable. Plus you want the trial accounts to be competitive. The game won't be as interesting if you get your butt kicked all the time lol. It's housing that makes people want real accounts anyway. I could see them not getting gifts or we'd all make 100 accounts lol
I think dropping it back down to 100 whilst under an EJ account would be easy for them to code. And easy to restore (i.e. Remove the restriction) if subscription was recativated. There is already coding in game to temp increase or drop skills.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Lots of speculation.
^^^ This.

Even with what they announced at the Anniversary Party, only confirmed restriction seems to be with housing and bank box storage. During the Q&A session at the party, I stood up and specifically asked them to confirm if there will be any other restrictions (and gave Fel spawns & ghost cams as an example) and they didn't confirm any other restrictions beyond saying it was still a work in progress and that more information would be forthcoming.

Estimated release of Q1 2018.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So in effect, as far as doing the 90-day shuffle, nothing whatsoever has changed. All they have stated is that once your account reverts to EJ status you won't be able to login in on that account and use your house.

All the 90-day players can just carry on as normal.
I honestly don't know why they just don't sanction this play style and just add a "house holder" payment option to the auto-pay billing system. In fact, make the account come with no characters at all and just bill you every 90 days for each house you add. Since so many people are going this route and there's no real incentive to change it, just bite the bullet and market the crap out of it. ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
^^^ This.

Even with what they announced at the Anniversary Party, only confirmed restriction seems to be with housing and bank box storage. During the Q&A session at the party, I stood up and specifically asked them to confirm if there will be any other restrictions (and gave Fel spawns & ghost cams as an example) and they didn't confirm any other restrictions beyond saying it was still a work in progress and that more information would be forthcoming.

When have they ever said something that didn't happen or have the player base completely misunderstand what they meant? :p Trammel will not be a mirror! Look it's got like dead trees and stuff ;) I doubt they even know what they're gonna do yet. They probably got some rough ideas but that's about it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well IMHO 90 days is absurd for a house to drop. But that's not my call. If you haven't logged in for 3 months and noticed your account is inactive... well... I can't even wrap my head around that. Anyway...I feel the issue that has people bouncing off the walls is if they will be able to use the house that isn't payed for with other active accounts. I'll be really interested in seeing how that plays out. Maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon and save a few bucks too. Why not? There's a lot of speculation right now and I'll be interested to see how it pans out *if* and *when* they get to it. People tend to think that they say something it will happen tomorrow. In my experience everything tends to take a loooong time. Like the castle design tool. It seems like one could kick that out pretty quick but who knows when it will actually happen. I've become a real I'll believe it when I see it guy when it comes to UO.
I've left a few times and known it's been more than 90 days and my house has still been up. It's not a very reliable system either.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I've left a few times and known it's been more than 90 days and my house has still been up. It's not a very reliable system either.
When I came back all my bank boxes were empty. Seems like I remember getting an email like 15 years ago it would happen if I didn't renew. I got sick of rage quitting, coming back 2 years later and start all over again. I just send them a check now ;)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Every time we leave our houses are dropped and everything goes into the bank/beetles. I've never had my bank box cleared out, even when I've been gone for 5 years or so, when I get back I am still on my beetle and it still has all my stuff on it.. I have heard a few other people say their bank was emptied, but some of those also admitted that 'friends' knew their account details, so it's hard to say what actually happened there. I've never had an e-mail saying my stuff would be gone, but since my husband was in the military for over 20 years we moved around a lot and often changed address/e-mail every couple of years.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All they have stated is that once your account reverts to EJ status you won't be able to login in on that account and use your house.
As far as I understood all the tidbits, that were posted here, was, that an unpaid acc with a house placed won't go into EJ at all. Meaning you can't log in.
If you want to make that acc EJ you either have to wait until that house falls or sub, remove the house and wait until the sub runs out...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every time we leave our houses are dropped and everything goes into the bank/beetles. I've never had my bank box cleared out, even when I've been gone for 5 years or so, when I get back I am still on my beetle and it still has all my stuff on it.. I have heard a few other people say their bank was emptied, but some of those also admitted that 'friends' knew their account details, so it's hard to say what actually happened there. I've never had an e-mail saying my stuff would be gone, but since my husband was in the military for over 20 years we moved around a lot and often changed address/e-mail every couple of years.
I had a couple of 2001-2002 accounts I closed in the 2003 range. I recently activated some of them and one of them was stripped of everything. No one knows my accts details not even my wife :) And toss in these accts had nothing but junk on them, in the packs and in the banks. Another account simply had no characters on any shards. No idea what malfunctioned or whether it was intentional or a bug or what. Both of those accounts did still have their first year vet rewards available though, so I am certain that they were not compromised and stripped..... anyone would have stripped the vet rewards.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I understood all the tidbits, that were posted here, was, that an unpaid acc with a house placed won't go into EJ at all. Meaning you can't log in.
If you want to make that acc EJ you either have to wait until that house falls or sub, remove the house and wait until the sub runs out...
So basically nothing would change from how it is now other than the EJ Option at the end of the 90 days?

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this your or their estimation?

UOCraft.com

That slide says Pub 100 and onwards come after EJ. So I would interpret it as EJ being Pub 99. Usually they release pubs in a 3 month interval. So I would have guessed, that we might get EJ a little bit earlier...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The weird thing is that some people who have lost stuff from their bank still sometimes have a few items. One person told me she still had the Charger of the Fallen in her bank. I would assume if someone she knew had taken her stuff they would have taken that. A bit odd really.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Is this your or their estimation?

UOCraft.com

That slide says Pub 100 and onwards come after EJ. So I would interpret it as EJ being Pub 99. Usually they release pubs in a 3 month interval. So I would have guessed, that we might get EJ a little bit earlier...
I am trying to find the video of that part but can't right now to confirm that I am not mixing up with something else ( @CottonEyeJoe104 - did you get part II up yet?)... I believe they said EJs were coming Q1 2018, unless I am mistaken with the date of one of the publishes.

Someone from the party please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly. Thats what I was saying. So in effect ... the 90 day shuffle remains identical to how it is now. The question I guess is will that house still be accessible to co-owners or friends who have fully paid up accounts.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The question I guess is will that house still be accessible to co-owners or friends who have fully paid up accounts.
Someone posted, that all of this stays untouched. Means, the house stays accessible in game by all characters eligible, i.e. co-owners, friends, etc...
Just don't ask me for a quote. It's somewhere in all those new threads and I don't want to read through all of them a second time :p

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IE: Q1 2018....

They said that they are HOPING to have EJ ready by the end of March 2018 (the end of Q1) - but don't hold them to it, if there are significant issues.

I think Mesanna and the rest are wary of definitive deadlines, after what happened with Kingdom Reborn.

With KR, EA Japan committed to a Q2 2007 release, including making a version of KR for the shelves (technically, it was a bonus CD for a UO Soundtrack release, to get around any restrictions at the time on doing a box set for just one nation). This included reserving shelf space in several Japanese chains, and all that money would be lost if the stuff didn't ship to the Japanese retailers by the end of June. As a result, in order to keep from embarrassment, EA Japan (which has always been rumored to have more UO players than the rest of the world) pressured the US side to move the KR client from Alpha to Beta when it was barely ready for Alpha, and release it worldwide when it really needed another 4-6 months in Beta. And, those of us around for KR know just how big a debacle it was, and the reason EC exists was that it was easier to start from scratch with a KR replacement than repair/update KR. (sources: former UO staff, in personal conversations 2007-2009).

Last edited:

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am trying to find the video of that part but can't right now to confirm that I am not mixing up with something else ( @CottonEyeJoe104 - did you get part II up yet?)... I believe they said EJs were coming Q1 2018, unless I am mistaken with the date of one of the publishes.

Someone from the party please correct me if I'm wrong.
EJ is planned for Early 18. They said Hopefully by March, but dont hold the feet to the fire on that.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So where is the NO option?

Does this sound awesome?
  1. YES!!!
  2. Yes
  3. Verily!
  4. Indeed!
  5. Aye
I was scrolling through the posts to see whether I should post this. Actually in between yeah and no is "meh." I can think of plenty of other priorities instead of this, and none of what I've heard excites me much.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was scrolling through the posts to see whether I should post this. Actually in between yeah and no is "meh." I can think of plenty of other priorities instead of this, and none of what I've heard excites me much.
We all get excited about different things. Me, I play a TWENTY YEAR OLD MMO that is, miraculously, still very much alive and in very active live development. Said game recently had a really cool birthday party where the devs highlighted some half a dozen up and coming features, many of which appear to be of a pretty notable scale. Including a F2P mode, which traditionally has been seen as a new launch or a new spring in most MMOs that have ever tried it. I consider sum of all these parts plenty exciting.

Honestly, if you zoom away til you see it from this angle, does it not excite you?

I'm seriously surprised these poll options manage to bring out serious replies out of people. : D Purpose of this thread is two fold!
A) I really wanted to see a thread in stratics where all this new stuff is mentioned very clearly in the headline&OP. There are plenty of people who aren't currently active but keep " one eye" in UO. imho it is valuable to ensure there are objects big enough for this one eye to catch.
B) I really wanted to make a honest to god hype thread based on and due to the said new stuff.
I'm extremely, terribly not sorry that you don't get your chance and satisfaction to go MEH in the bogus poll included, hahaha

Last edited:

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Exactly. Thats what I was saying. So in effect ... the 90 day shuffle remains identical to how it is now. The question I guess is will that house still be accessible to co-owners or friends who have fully paid up accounts.
I have no idea what's going to happen and I've said all I felt I needed to on the subject. Mostly ;) Comcast put You Tube on their app list so now I've sat through hours of videos from the 20th. I hate having my computer tied up watching videos. Anyway... One thing I found very interesting on the video. Mesanna said that EJ will not be a "Buy one get 3 free deal". I could have been knocked over with a feather lol. She gets it. Now she needs to decide which way to go is the bigger cash cow for EA, we'll see. Although I know she was aware of the scam a long time ago and didn't like it in general. She has all the numbers and I don't. But she's heard us and she gets it. I could easily see it fall either way. But if everything stays the same I'll jump on the bandwagon. Hate being the only sucker in town still paying full price lol. I could beat EA outta 300 a year or so :p Also I don't see EJ being able to be friended to a house or the whole storage issue they're trying to address is a joke.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
EJ is planned for Early 18. They said Hopefully by March, but dont hold the feet to the fire on that.
They feel EJ could make them money. And it could. I think that will make this pretty much a number one priority, not considering things they're kinda forced to do like holidays, bugs and such. I would hope they would work the new player experience, open their forums and try and do something with account management first. But I doubt that will happen. Although I have no idea how the new player tutorials work, that was after my time pretty much. Maybe they're better than I think.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Free to play came to UO. Who would have thunk it lol. It pretty much works like any other free to play. Those who pay get the perks. Wouldn't be a bad time to try and get Steam past EA again.

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
They feel EJ could make them money. And it could. I think that will make this pretty much a number one priority, not considering things they're kinda forced to do like holidays, bugs and such. I would hope they would work the new player experience, open their forums and try and do something with account management first. But I doubt that will happen. Although I have no idea how the new player tutorials work, that was after my time pretty much. Maybe they're better than I think.
Well the holiday stuff is done, as we got to see it. So I do believe they are working on EJ to get it released ASAP. They mentioned they are working on the account management entanglement, although it won't spectacular, because it is just way to much of a sphagetti code disaster. And they have other stuff they rather attend to. But they are going to make it easier to add and remove accounts to your mythic account. So that is atleast a step in the right direction.

The official forums, shouldn't take buy 2 or 3 days to setup at the most. I'm not sure why that hasn't been done in 20 years. But we definitely need official forums for EJ. That way its a one stop shop for people to get assistance.

Free to play came to UO. Who would have thunk it lol. It pretty much works like any other free to play. Those who pay get the perks. Wouldn't be a bad time to try and get Steam past EA again.
Maybe after EJ releases, something to push for.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Certain shirts at EA have a similar hard-on against Steam that some movie companies had against Blockbuster in the 80s and Netflix in the 2000s. There would literally have to be a major corporate leadership change to get UO on Steam.

There have been official forums in the past, and one of the reasons they are gone and Stratics is still here is that the old official forums (and, it looks like the new ones as well) will be so strictly moderated that Stratics would look like the Wild West by comparison.

Some of the EA people related to UO showed up at the Town Hall - Their presence was not mentioned until after they left, presumably to prevent attendees from accosting them over things EA won't let Broadsword do (as they are only following directives from above, as well).

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't recall there ever being official forums... But maybe it was so short lived I just forgot. Or I was banned instantly and wiped it from memory. lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Certain shirts at EA have a similar hard-on against Steam that some movie companies had against Blockbuster in the 80s and Netflix in the 2000s. There would literally have to be a major corporate leadership change to get UO on Steam.

There have been official forums in the past, and one of the reasons they are gone and Stratics is still here is that the old official forums (and, it looks like the new ones as well) will be so strictly moderated that Stratics would look like the Wild West by comparison.

Some of the EA people related to UO showed up at the Town Hall - Their presence was not mentioned until after they left, presumably to prevent attendees from accosting them over things EA won't let Broadsword do (as they are only following directives from above, as well).
Well after EA/UO got sued they actually had to actually pay people for the work they did. EA just wasn't going to pay for a forum. It's all about the money with EA. The Steam thing I understand but it's stupid. What better than using a competitor to make money off of? Money is money, it's doesn't know where it came from. The whole EA thing at the party is interesting. I think I liked it better when EA didn't know they still owned UO ;)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't recall there ever being official forums... But maybe it was so short lived I just forgot. Or I was banned instantly and wiped it from memory. lol
They were ok. I didn't actually get banned until they announced they were shutting down and many of us pushed to get banned just before it ended lol. Things were getting a little wild there the last couple days lol Cause like we were radicals and stuff ;)

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am looking forward to further information but I think that giving F2P people to much could be a down side. I would like to see a larger carrot for playing in Fel, which I think would have a better spin off for tram

If only one could do a poll of former players to see why they decided to stop playing. I feel that from my experience the lack of Fel development was a huge factor, that faction change 6 years ago really hurt the player base from what I saw.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am looking forward to further information but I think that giving F2P people to much could be a down side. I would like to see a larger carrot for playing in Fel, which I think would have a better spin off for tram

If only one could do a poll of former players to see why they decided to stop playing. I feel that from my experience the lack of Fel development was a huge factor, that faction change 6 years ago really hurt the player base from what I saw.
I think you would find it was the trammelisation of the game rather than the lack of Felucca development that was high up on the list of reasons to quit. Along with the awful account management the cheating the scripting the duping the hacking and the total apthy from EA towards what could have been a flagship product that was nurtured and developed rather than systematically destroyed.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am looking forward to further information but I think that giving F2P people to much could be a down side.

Give too little, and there won't be any F2P people. Time is ultimately the most valuable commodity involved in playing any MMO. If they were to opt with some super restricted " endless trial" garbage, nobody would bat an eye. Nobody would feel like wasting their time. Ultimately, game needs to be every bit as good and wholesome to them as it is to subs. There needs to be walls and restrictions, but there also needs to be a legitimately nice, good, deep cut of the cake - Not some scratching from surface.

Honestly, if already existing active subscribers using F2P for some more or less shady and " creative" machinations weren't a factor, then restricting housing alone would be all it takes imo. And would result in an excellent F2P game.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I sent off an E-mail to Mesanna asking if there was a timetable for giving existing accounts (and upgrading trials) to Stygian Abyss, as she announced that well before any mention of Endless Journey - combined with saying to hold off on paying for an upgrade (which would seem to indicate it would be much sooner than EJ).

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sent off an E-mail to Mesanna asking if there was a timetable for giving existing accounts (and upgrading trials) to Stygian Abyss, as she announced that well before any mention of Endless Journey - combined with saying to hold off on paying for an upgrade (which would seem to indicate it would be much sooner than EJ).
4 friends just started in osi this month, all don't have uosa, and we are waiting the same thing about that.