• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Today's Tweets from Jeff Skalski

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of many unfortunate things is that both sides are right. We are indeed spoiled children, and the UO team does a poor job communicating with its customers (and furthermore it did when it did communicate a lot, and when it didn't).

These 2 realities may not sound logical together but they are indeed both demonstrably true.

I would surely like to see more regular Herald posts but what exactly are they going to tell us?

"Hi everyone, I'm working on a great storyline right now but it'll probably never see the light of day because it requires more budget than EA can spare given that it's pissing money at an alarming rate into the creatively bankrupt Star Wars franchise?"

"Hi everyone, I'd like to report our 144th straight month of giving EA 20 times the revenue that it spends on us?"

I'm not saying we're wrong to ask for, or desire, more communication.

I'm asking how much do we think it'll really matter, at the end of the day, even if they do?

-Galen's player

C

canary

One of many unfortunate things is that both sides are right. We are indeed spoiled children, and the UO team does a poor job communicating with its customers (and furthermore it did when it did communicate a lot, and when it didn't).

These 2 realities may not sound logical together but they are indeed both demonstrably true.

I would surely like to see more regular Herald posts but what exactly are they going to tell us?

"Hi everyone, I'm working on a great storyline right now but it'll probably never see the light of day because it requires more budget than EA can spare given that it's pissing money at an alarming rate into the creatively bankrupt Star Wars franchise?"

"Hi everyone, I'd like to report our 144th straight month of giving EA 20 times the revenue that it spends on us?"

I'm not saying we're wrong to ask for, or desire, more communication.

I'm asking how much do we think it'll really matter, at the end of the day, even if they do?

-Galen's player
I don't know, though let's cite GrimmOmen atm.

He wasn't a regular poster, at best terribly infrequent, up until the past few weeks.

It would stand to argue he is currently the darling of UO Stratics due to reaching out to the players and giving insight to what is going on with his work.

One of the reasons CatHat and Draconi were fondly regarded, as well, was because they often reached out to the community.

People were very fond of In Concept and In Development. Not everything saw the day of light from either of them, but it was good to see what the UO team was actively pursuing.

Go on a few non non Bioware-Mythic forums for online games. You'll see a decent amount of developer-consumer interaction, and you'll also see a lot more content p(l)ayers. Trust me, it's true. While you will always have a few discontents no matter what, there is a definite ratio in favor of the positive when you see better communication.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I think the problem is that the players, the devs and everyone else involved cares an aweful lot so it becomes very difficult. As individuals, we all see things differently and with the loss of the last producer, it's as if we have lost what we expected even though we were not sure what to expect.

It's like having a new leader but having to let go of everything else. It's kind of thrown towards that position plus a stream of emotional tyrany.

So, I agree from both sides. It's just been a very long road and hopefully we will be able to move forward without looking back from this point on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiBjCKKEe_E

W

Woodsman

Going back to this article and doing some Googling, I want to give you the definition of irony:

BioWare Mythic: WAR not in any danger from SWTOR, but not going F2P | PC Gamer

This isn’t EA’s only run on the MMO market Death Star, though. Warhammer: Age of Reckoning is still alive and kicking. And according to BioWare Mythic VP Eugene Evans, it’s not going anywhere any time soon.

“No, no,” he said when I asked if Mythic’s involvement with SWTOR could signal WAR’s end during an interview at GDC Online. “All of these games appeal to different people for different reasons. I’m very proud to be able to say that I’m running the studio that’s run Ultima Online for as long as it has – 14 years. Dark Age of Camelot just celebrated 10 years. We hope we can run these games for as long as there is player interest.”
This guy - Eugene Evans, his employment ostensibly rests on the success of all three of the Mythic MMOs since he is the BioWare Mythic VP and has been going back to at least High Seas. He may or may not be Skalski's boss, who knows where the "Ultima franchise" fits in.

He comes out to talk to a gaming magazine for what reason? To dispel all of the rumors about Warhammer being closed or going "free-to-play". He claims that it's even getting new subs. He's proud to be running the studio that has UO in it and specifically states that in the article. Raise your hand if you read his letter about UO's 14th years on UO's birthday last month on the Herald. *crickets chirp*

From what I can see, he hasn't said anything specifically about UO since the launch of High Seas. Never mind the fact that the top two people in all of BioWare have been talking up a storm about Star Wars, while this guy pretends UO doesn't exist except when he has to come out and dispel rumors about Warhammer going f2p or being shut down.

I want you all to appreciate the irony of something:

Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn Credits at UOHerald.com
Senior Director of Marketing: Eugene Evans

A few years ago he was Senior Director of Marketing, and for the past year he's been running BioWare Mythic.

A former head of marketing is now in charge of three MMOs that have what has to be the worst record of community relations in the entire MMO industry.

Now that is the definition of irony folks.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ouch... thats gotta hurt...

thats exactly the same point I been carrying across ; its not conscious, its all subconscious.

We shouldn't stand here and argue about if the devs fall into victim mentality... they don't mean to !

This whole EA thing is geared on elitism (proof flying people who don't take care of their own games so they can attend conferences who put elite people together (many of whom LIVE OFF games, so thats why they can afford to be there in the first place)...

I don't even need to explain it now do I ?

I realise I ramble sometimes, but I know for having been a community builder for UO back in companion days, this isn't working at all... my posts should not be ignored and people shouldn't walk in circles over the argument.

Heck someone even tried to say EA is purposefully trying to destroy the game... well how can they ?

For all we know they have a special contract signed with the gold brokers who are probably all "well plugged" into many other EA games...

FOR ALL WE KNOW they can be working hand in hand.

Noone has ever said anything to the contrary, thats the REAL issue here.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know, though let's cite GrimmOmen atm.

He wasn't a regular poster, at best terribly infrequent, up until the past few weeks.

It would stand to argue he is currently the darling of UO Stratics due to reaching out to the players and giving insight to what is going on with his work.

-- etc.
OH YES! .. He's the darling of UO Stratics!

- - it's all because TheGrimmOmen posted in "Halloween Event= Lame" that I'm still hunting Killer Pumpkins to get Masks with his name and plastering those all over the castle's doors and walls - - along with Mesanna's who goes back years om time to a tavern, late arrival, and a spanking - *sorry* [:rofl:]

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who is this guy, and who did he replace?
He is the Producer not just of UO, but also all things related to the Ultima brand name.

He replaced Cal and also took on duties that didn't exist under Cal.

-Galen's player
Correction. He has been UO Franchise Producer since the beginning of this year... wonders what other UO Franchise products he has been working on since then for launch in 2012?? :lol:

W

Woodsman

Correction. He has been UO Franchise Producer since the beginning of this year... wonders what other UO Franchise products he has been working on since then for launch in 2012?? :lol:
Can you provide us with proof of this?

Because he told us he was the Ultima Franchise producer in September. If you have evidence to the contrary, share it, it would add to the discussion.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My only comment to this thread:

Can we please stop excusing EA's lack of communication with "it's standard in the industry" and "it's that way with every other community too" immediately?

Because...

It's NOT industry standard, and it's NOT that way with every other community. The reason lulls are met with complaint is because there should not be lulls in community communication.

Every. Other. Successful. Game*. Out. There.

EVERY.

OTHER.

SUCCESSFUL.

GAME*.

OUT.

THERE.

I don't know how else to say it but this: "Every other successful game out there has exceptional community communication." You are not left wondering what Blizzard is working on. For that matter, you don't wonder what Sony's working on for EQ. Or what a majority of the F2P games are working on.

Hell, not to put too fine a point on it, but Star Wars Galaxies has been one foot in the grave since the NGE destroyed its playerbase. And yet, communication was on the forefront of keeping that community alive, and players knew what was coming in the next quarterly update to the game.

EA is the one of the few companies that thinks it's okay to drop the ball on communication repeatedly, and that's ONLY because EA STILL does not have a clue how to operate an MMO. I've said it so many times I can scaresly bare to repeat it again, but UO makes money COMPLETELY IN SPITE OF EA.

Please STOP providing EA with excuses and implications that the lack of communication is somehow okay and something the playerbase is fine with. It is NOT okay, and the playerbase is NOT fine with it.

Only when WE stop accepting it and when WE stop making excuses FOR THEM will their stance on it change.

I guarantee that if Bioware adopts EA's typical communication stance post release of SW:TOR, TOR can kiss its midichlorian ass goodbye.

* Game in this particular context refers to the realm of MMOs, not just any old game on the face of the planet.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you provide us with proof of this?

Because he told us he was the Ultima Franchise producer in September. If you have evidence to the contrary, share it, it would add to the discussion.
Since we know Calvin was the producer up until recently (ie: June, July, partially in August, perhaps), it would be difficult for proof to be provided of something we all know to be untrue.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...it would be difficult for proof to be provided of something we all know to be untrue.
Therein lies the joke though, Ra. Woodsman knows that HD can't back up any of the NetDragon-based fantasy he posts, since no proof exists. He's just not as ascerbic as some of us at pointing it out :eek:

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Therein lies the joke though, Ra. Woodsman knows that HD can't back up any of the NetDragon-based fantasy he posts, since no proof exists. He's just not as ascerbic as some of us at pointing it out :eek:
Yeah your right, Christopher Ondrus | LinkedIn is a fake Linkedin account.
Producing two projects with one of the leading MMORPG Play for Free game developers in China, Netdragon... Director of Outsourcing as well as producing two external projects with our foreign partner Netdragon, World of Dungeon Keeper and Ultima China.
:lol:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nobody disputes that Netdragon are quite probably producing a version of Ultima - but you have it there in black and white Ultima China. It is not replacing our UO, it is nothing to do with our UO it is not going to be availiable outside of CHINA.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You finally have a shred of evidence, good for you! *slow claps*

Now you need to:

A) Prove that something is actually being worked on. (no, 2 year old press releases or the more modern rehashes from disreputable sites don't count. Nor does a 2 year old share holder report)

B) Prove that it will be released outside of the Asian market.

C) Prove that it will replace the current UO.

The first is possible, but we won't hold our breath. The second is unlikely to happen. EA isn't going to allow competition with something thats still making it money. The third is contingent on the first two being proven true, it is also the most unlikely.

So, yeah. Good luck with that.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nobody disputes that Netdragon are quite probably producing a version of Ultima - but you have it there in black and white Ultima China. It is not replacing our UO, it is nothing to do with our UO it is not going to be availiable outside of CHINA.
Petra, on September 26th, his profile merely said he was "producing two projects with International MMO game partner NetDragon." The word "Ultima" never appeared in his profile. The use of the name "Ultima China" is a change that was made only in the last few days or weeks.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To quote that very same LinkedIn profile,

"Experience producing Free to Play games for China's online video game market utilizing Electronic Arts key Intellectual Properties."

I reckon the key words are - "for China's online video market". Not international, or worldwide - for China's market.

Netdragon have occasionally run things for a wider market, but this does not look to be one of them - http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-07-22/20090722231544427.shtml ,

"As part of the agreement, NetDragon will develop the new Ultima Online(TM) in collaboration with EA's Mythic Entertainment, and have the exclusive operating license for China, Hong Kong, Macau and India."

Also, EA and NetDragon Enter Agreement to Develop Ultima Online :::: ITnewsLink :::: -

"We are delighted to further our relationship with EA through the development of Ultima Online," said Mr. Liu Dejian, Chairman and Executive Director of NetDragon. "Capitalizing on our ability to create a strong online gaming experience, we are confident that Ultima Online will be a success in China and will also achieve remarkable results in the other markets where we’ll operate the game."

Jon Niermann, President of EA Asia said, "Ultima Online is a well known EA property and we’re delighted to bring the game to fans in China, Hong Kong, Macau and India. NetDragon is a proven partner and we’re confident in their expertise to build and operate a great gaming experience for players".

Rob Denton, General Manager and Vice President of Mythic Entertainment added, "We’re thrilled to be able to work with NetDragon to bring the pioneering Ultima Online to a new audience in these exciting markets."

Netdragon talk about it being a success 'in China', EA Asia call this 'bringing the game to fans in China, Hong Kong, Macau and India', and Mythic refer to 'a new audience in these exciting markets'.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dungeon Keeper Online, if you Google initial Press Releases, was announced as to be released in Asia only, and now it is being released worldwide.

UO 3D imo will follow suit, because EA would rather make 50+ million a year instead of 6 million a year with the UO franchise. And if they release UO 3D outside Asia, then imo they will run both UO and UO 3D concurrently, just like Everquest I and II. So no UO wont be replaced, there will just be another UO product available for the masses who prefer quality 3D graphics. btw "outsourced" as opposed to licensed is very interesting wording. :lol:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dungeon Keeper Online, if you Google initial Press Releases, was announced as to be released in Asia only, and now it is being released worldwide.

UO 3D imo will follow suit, because EA would rather make 50+ million a year instead of 6 million a year with the UO franchise. And if they release UO 3D outside Asia, then imo they will run both UO and UO 3D concurrently, just like Everquest I and II. So no UO wont be replaced, there will just be another UO product available for the masses who prefer quality 3D graphics. btw "outsourced" as opposed to licensed is very interesting wording. :lol:
So this whole UO 3D in the US is your own created rumor of what you hope they will do. Sure UO 3D would be fun but to put so much hope into actually believing it will happen so soon...reminds me of UO2.

By that I mean UO2 crashed. If they couldn't do UO2 I don't put much faith in UO 3D going anywhere here.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe so - but in concerning EA/Mythic related mmos, they have tried Warhammer Online for an Asian market as a self-contained 'product', and I would be amazed if they were to take a different approach to marketing/partnering related to UO.

Incidentally, the Asian-only Warhammers failed...

Warhammer Online (Korea) closes ~ MMO ☆ Culture

Warhammer Online - Taiwan server closes ~ MMO ☆ Culture

You might be right in your suspicion, but I've yet to see anything that convinces me it's on the cards. If the main driver was the potentially bigger market for a new product, there are a LOT of other things EA would be pitching through China/Asia first before they worked their way down to UO, we're really not that big a customer base compared to many of their other titles, and it doesn't look to be high on their radar for 'investment' or development, even through 'franchising' or 'outsourcing'.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I haven't stumbled across anything that gives any more definite news about the Ultima-related project that Chris Ondrus is now mentioning in his public profile on LinkedIn. I did, however, run across an article in Chinese giving a little bit of background information about him as a speaker at an Autodesk conference last year and learned that he likes to collect robot toys. Totally irrelevant information and it doesn't prove anything one way or the other regarding the status of "that" project. I just thought it was an interesting little tidbit of information. [ 設計魔力 • 檢視主題 - 游æˆåˆ¶é€ ä¸“家一席谈让你的 “玩心â€è ¢è ¢æ¬²åŠ¨ï¼ä¸æƒ³ç•™ä¸‹é—憾,就快æ¥æŠ¥åï¼ ]

Maybe when Jeff introduces himself, he'll also tell us a little more about Chris Ondrus and his Ultima-related project. It sure would be nice to hear from the horse's mouth, so to speak, what that project means to us so the whole issue can be put to rest once and for all.

T

Trebr Drab

People...sheesh...I'm sure he's baked a potato or two in his life too, so finally! Finally! Potato farming skill in UO.
Ima gonna be potato farmer!
:)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
People...sheesh...I'm sure he's baked a potato or two in his life too, so finally! Finally! Potato farming skill in UO.
:)
Ha. :lol:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kind of feel sorry for Jeff atm. He is over all the Ultima games. Not just UO. So the new UO Producer, when he finally introduces himself, will have more responsabilities than any other producer before him.

He is already in hot water with the community because of "previous issues" from the producers and UO teams before him. This includes the current UO team. While he was promoted to the job he may have other duties that he had to finish up while also taking on new duties.

I say at least give him a break and lets see what his intro letter produces.

On a side note lets not all blame the devs for ALL the "lack of communication." How many times has Messana been in the game since Cal's departure/promotion/MIA/Alien abduction and nobody ever asks ( not even once) her in game what is going on with the communication issues? The ones that have seen her have no issues asking for pixels so which is more important...pixels or communication? Let me leave it at that.

Respect to Grimm at speaking on these boards with things he deals with.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is sort of straying a bit, again, but bear with me for just a few minutes....

As you know already if you've been reading any of these threads that bring up NetDragon, they've also been working on another EA title, Dungeon Keeper Online. It's close to finishing up beta and there's a new promo video posted on the main page. You can find it at µØϳÇÊØ»¤ÕßOL-ÖÐÎĹٷ½ÍøÕ¾-dk.91.com. A big black, white and red box talking about getting an activation code pops up first and pretty much covers the page. To get past it, click the white X in the upper right corner. After that, you should see the home page for the game, and right smack in the middle of the top of the page is a video player waiting for you. Click the start button in the middle of the video player....

(Warning: You might want to make sure you don't have kids leaning over your shoulder, because the video's a tad bit racy, as the whole theme of Dungeon Keeper Online is "Evil Is Good.")

Now just imagine what kind of influx of players UO might get if someone, anyone bothered to put in the time to make a NEW video promoting UO? Not sure what the theme would be, but I imagine someone with some creativity could come up with some angle on UO to push and appeal to a wider audience of gamers.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Grimm stated in his thread about the graphics upgrade that he's NOT working on or knows what's going on with the whole NetDragon thing. If ND were putting out a 3d version of UO in the US Grimm WOULD know about it and would NOT be working on the graphics updates. Yes, he is re-rendering the artwork into 3d assets but that is so that they will scale more crisply into higher resolutions than the iron-age resolution they are in now. His 3d rendering has NOTHING to do with ND or any 3d UO vapour.

Personally, I'm VERY sick and tired of every thread that seems to discuss the future of UO being derailed by the same ND rumours and vapour. We've already had too many previously otherwise informative and useful thread get the lock because of the derailment.

So please, STOP. If new, substantial information comes out, then by all means, please share, but until then, STOP polluting other threads and the board with unsubstantiated vapour, rumours, and fanciful beliefs.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Grimm stated in his thread about the graphics upgrade that he's NOT working on or knows what's going on with the whole NetDragon thing. If ND were putting out a 3d version of UO in the US Grimm WOULD know about it and would NOT be working on the graphics updates. Yes, he is re-rendering the artwork into 3d assets but that is so that they will scale more crisply into higher resolutions than the iron-age resolution they are in now. His 3d rendering has NOTHING to do with ND or any 3d UO vapour.

Personally, I'm VERY sick and tired of every thread that seems to discuss the future of UO being derailed by the same ND rumours and vapour. We've already had too many previously otherwise informative and useful thread get the lock because of the derailment.

So please, STOP. If new, substantial information comes out, then by all means, please share, but until then, STOP polluting other threads and the board with unsubstantiated vapour, rumours, and fanciful beliefs.
I agree with you :)

The only new evidence that is is now called Ultima China. I think they had to do it to control the rumors. Which they are still floating around.

This thread is about Jeff and I truly hope he addresses this when he does so it will be put to rest.

W

Woodsman

Interesting that Jeff oversaw server mergers for Warhammer Online... not starting rumors, but just saying he has this in his resume.
Server mergers are the quickest way to end UO or an incredibly expensive and time consuming way to lower shard populations.

Unlike UO, Warhammer requires large numbers of players to come together for the game to work as intended and so server mergers are a very real tool in fixing that - it's why you see server merge threads every few weeks on the Warhammer boards from players requesting it. In Warhammer, they don't have things like player housing. UO does not require large numbers of people coming together to PvP to be successful.

Server mergers in UO would require:
- a process to handle the fact that a lot of people have characters across many shards. Character slots would have to be increased, possibly doubled
- a lot of people to lose prime housing spots on the shards being closed unless they create a mechanism for those people to have similar places on the remaining shards. It would require a lot of manual effort on the part of GMs
- a large number of people to lose castles/keeps unless they create a mechanism to allow those people to have castles/keeps on the remaining shards. It would also require a lot of manual effort on the part of GMs
- a mechanism to preserve all of the contents of the homes on shards that close
- a mechanism to move all of the contents of those homes to another shard
- a process to allow people who had good spots, castles, keeps, etc. to have similar housing and spots on another shard.
- a process to deal with people who don't log in all that often, or who just pay their monthly fees without logging in.

It is far cheaper to keep UO the way it is than to put a bunch of money into developer and GM salaries to create the above mechanisms to merge shards. If UO needed shards merged because of cost, it would have happened when it went from 250,000 subs down to 100,000 or less.

In the end, you would still have people who throw their hands up in the air, say **** it, and just walk away. You can mess with a lot of things in UO, but you can't mess with housing and player communities like that. People will just walk away.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You can mess with a lot of things in UO, but you can't mess with housing and player communities like that. People will just walk away.

This is very true and is the outcome of the biggest mistake they made with the Tram/Fel split. While there was going to have to be one side of the PvP argument that would have to pack up and leave, making it the non-PvP side tore apart countless player-run establishments, that while they may have ended up disappearing through attrition throughout the years, they were in effect destroyed in one decision in 2000 instead.

While it is far too late to fix the problem, the biggest mistake of UO:R was that they instituted the rulesets BACKWARDS thus proving the above point.

W

Woodsman

It's NOT industry standard, and it's NOT that way with every other community. The reason lulls are met with complaint is because there should not be lulls in community communication.

Every. Other. Successful. Game*. Out. There.

EVERY.

OTHER.

SUCCESSFUL.

GAME*.

OUT.

THERE.

I don't know how else to say it but this: "Every other successful game out there has exceptional community communication." You are not left wondering what Blizzard is working on. For that matter, you don't wonder what Sony's working on for EQ. Or what a majority of the F2P games are working on.

Hell, not to put too fine a point on it, but Star Wars Galaxies has been one foot in the grave since the NGE destroyed its playerbase. And yet, communication was on the forefront of keeping that community alive, and players knew what was coming in the next quarterly update to the game.

EA is the one of the few companies that thinks it's okay to drop the ball on communication repeatedly, and that's ONLY because EA STILL does not have a clue how to operate an MMO. I've said it so many times I can scaresly bare to repeat it again, but UO makes money COMPLETELY IN SPITE OF EA.
Exactly. The fact that the guy who heads up BioWare Mythic was formerly in charge of PR and marketing for Mythic makes this all the more ridiculous.

Any person who came out of marketing and has a shred of common sense would shudder in horror at the state of community relations when it comes to all three Mythic MMOs, because all three are a freaking nightmare from a marketing point of view. Put yourself in the place of a new player, look at all three games, their websites, and communities. It would turn you off and/or possibly prevent you from even starting playing those games in the first place.

What's amazing is that this Eugene Evans had the gall to say this:
“We believe in the community of players who are playing Age of Reckoning. "
No you don't Eugene, you don't believe in "the community of players" at all, not even close.

What's even more amazing is that Eugene's bosses seem to be satisfied with the state of affairs, because Eugene has had this job for at least a year, and nothing has really changed. Camelot has gotten a new website, and saw some developer communication, but it seems like it's headed right back to the typical Mythic idea of keeping players in the dark.
I guarantee that if Bioware adopts EA's typical communication stance post release of SW:TOR, TOR can kiss its midichlorian ass goodbye.
So far they haven't. They have a huge group of people dedicated to community relations and customer support. As a matter of fact, they just opened up a 24/7 support center in Ireland for Star Wars. That's professional support dedicated to just Star Wars. 200 people - customer service, GMs, etc.

200 people just for customer support.

Pretty sure UO, Camelot, and Warhammer don't have 200 people among their three dev teams combined.

Putting aside the support, there is no reason why they couldn't spare some of their community relations to help with the Mythic MMOs. If they can fly BioWare people around the country for Dragon Age DLC launches with Felicity Day, they could spare a full-time community relations person for UO. If they can have BioWare people talk to any number of gaming websites about Star Wars, they can have somebody come in and spend a few hours a week talking with UO players.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting back to the topic. I feel that Monsieur Skalski has made a less than an encouraging start to his tenure due to his lack of communication.
We are past saturation point of editing for grammar, video editing, running things past suits and pr departments. We have been swamped with that talk for too long.
I hope the missive he is writing has some substance with an outline of what is going to happen to our game. We know it is still going after 14 years and how loyal the remaining players are. Tell us what your plans are.
Stop the legacy of procrastination and secrecy. Usher in an age of communication. And good luck.

I do hope the next year is not going to be one long death rattle.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry it's getting annoying for people to keep hearing about NetDragon. I would just like to point out for the people who apparently don't follow links and/or don't like to do any more reading than necessary:

As recently as September 26th, Chris Ondrus' public profile on LinkedIn only said for his current position that he was working on two external projects with EA's partner, NetDragon. Since then, Mr. Ondrus has updated his profile to include the following new/revised information in the Summary section:

Multi-talented Producer with 15 + years of video game experience, specializing in AAA RPG's, MMORPG's and Free to Play games. Successful manager leading multiple teams in a fast paced large scale MMORPG production environment.

Shipped 14+ games for the PC market. Titles include The Elder Scrolls series, Massively Multi-Player Online Role Playing Games; Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. Currently working on two Free to Play games for the China Market, Dungeon Keeper Online and Ultima China.

Experience producing Free to Play games for China's online video game market utilizing Electronic Arts key Intellectual Properties. Business development and licensing experience building and maintaining partner relationships.

Managed and expanded an external team of outsource developers based in Shanghai China developing content for MMORPG's.​

And the Experience section of his profile now says:

Producer and Director of Outsourcing
Bioware, a Division of Electronic Arts

June 2009– Present (2 years 5 months)

Producing two projects with one of the leading MMORPG Play for Free game developers in China, Netdragon.

Outsource Director
Director of Outsourcing as well as producing two external projects with our foreign partner Netdragon, World of Dungeon Keeper and Ultima China. During my time as the OS Director this fiscal year I was in control over an overall budget of 1.185 million, managed an external OS team of 25 artists, DD’s and AD. In addition I managed, negotiated, budgeted and schedule 9 domestic artists, musicians and freelancers.

Achievements:
• Overall budget: $1.185 million
• Art efficiency: 88%
• Net saving: $425,140
• • Saving per internal SM by utilizing OS: $6,283 (Average OS SM $3,894/Average Internal cost SM $10,177)

Korean WAR Aesthetics
Lead the charge for all art and audio aesthetic changes for the War Asia product. Analyzed the Korean market to evaluate what Korean gamers like to see and hear and play. Through my research I created detailed documents to communicate changes that Mythic needed to make to Warhammer in order to be successful on the Korean market. All art/audio and graphics changes not only made a difference in the War Asia build but also will enhance the English/European builds.

Achievements:
• Create documents for all Art Aesthetics
• Communicated buy in from dependencies
• Negotiated staff time and tasks with leads
• Art directed animation and audio to reflect the core goals of WAR Korea Aesthetics
• Presented changes with Asian partner NHN to gain buying and feedback

If the "Ultima China" project is vaporware, why would the person who is producing it have gone from a month ago not even naming it in his public profile to now not only giving it a name but providing additional details such as the size of the budget and the number and type of people he is managing?

He obviously isn't ashamed of the project or afraid to have it on his resume. So that leads me to believe there's a really good chance that the project has not died at all and the reason we haven't seen anything is because Bioware has had the sense to keep it under wraps all this time because of all the criticism it's bound to get once it is publicized. Also, because the Dungeon Keeper game is right on the verge of finishing its beta stage and being released, I doubt that now would be a really great time for him to try to split his focus even more by managing the initial release of concept art and whatever else gets released to the public at the alpha and early beta stages of a new game's development. In addition, Bioware may not want a lot of other "competing" information released just now as they prepare for SW:TOR to be released.

I most definitely hope that Jeff Skalski is prepared to give us more information on the status and scope of this project, which until a month ago was nothing more than an oft-repeated blurb on NetDragon's press releases and financial reports but now has an identified producer and some publicized information about budget and staffing shared with another project. I would like for him to clarify whether or not the "Ultima China" game is only going to be available in certain Asian countries, or whether NetDragon will go on to localize the content for EA so it can be released in other countries in North America, Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East, in much the same way that NetDragon has already done for many of their own titles.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My feeling: Net Dragon project = custom rules shard of this quarter.

Something a selected few will whip themselves into a frenzy over, make into an issue, and will claim to have been misled when nothing comes of it.

To the degree to which I'm right, the less the Producer says about it the better because anything, positive or negative, that he says will add fuel to a fire which offers great danger but no light and no warmth.

-Galen's player

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Truly the tweets were about the "CURRENT" UO community. Not ND Ultima China. I only mentioned anything in my post basically meaning I hoped he would say something so this discussion of that game "based" off of UO debate would end.

The more important factor and issues of the UO community defintly not ND and Ultima China. It's the lack of communication and where is this game is going.

The current populace of UO, and at least the majority does not want the current UO to go to F2P. ND Ultima China is under a company that does F2P games. That alone is another topic that has been discussed over and over.

I suggest lets drop the ND game debate or make it another thread and lets focus on the current UO that at this moment and at this time the only true UO.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The key word being grossly overlooked here is China

So anyways, back to the original topic of Jeff..

He recently tweeted about the account screwup last week:

Message from someone named Amy to Jeff:
amcglothlin: @Jeff_Skalski why don't UO users get an update on accouting issues?
Jeff's response:
Jeff_Skalski: @amcglothlin I take responsblty since I was under the impression we sent out a post 3 days ago when we did in JPN. Expect an update shortly.
While there was something posted to the Herald, it wasn't as detailed as what Japan's site offered.... It was also complete PR spin and LIES. (Nobody reporting being affected by the autorenewal breakage has said they recieved an email. :cursing:)

Here is another exchange that I'm not sure has been reported:

Specialshoes: Hey @Jeff_Skalski How's that letter to the UO community comming? Can we expect some news from developers soon?
Jeff's reply:
Jeff_Skalski: @Specialshoes Not done, but hoping to get it posted some mid to late next week. My grammer is horrible and it needs some editting. ;)
So, if we follow BioWare Mythic's pattern of what "mid to late next week" means, expect nothing till Friday at 5pm EST. :(

A Thought Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tina you are correct in the fact the Area is a diversion from new content. why? beacuse the Arena takes very little programming, artwork. its simply a box w/ graphics that you pvp in. On a skill lvl its a 4 out of 10. We wont even talk about halloween..
I wouldn't assume that the first steps of creating the a dualing/arena framework within a game like UO was a little and easy thing to throw together - in particular, making the processes surrounding the buttons do what they are expected to in the game world. The buttons and such are just a front end and there's a whole backend that has to work right.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina you are correct in the fact the Area is a diversion from new content. why? beacuse the Arena takes very little programming, artwork. its simply a box w/ graphics that you pvp in. On a skill lvl its a 4 out of 10. We wont even talk about halloween..
I wouldn't assume that the first steps of creating the a dualing/arena framework within a game like UO was a little and easy thing to throw together - in particular, making the processes surrounding the buttons do what they are expected to in the game world. The buttons and such are just a front end and there's a whole backend that has to work right.
My question is how much of the arena was done by the last producer(not Cal...Draconi) and team. You do know that high seas was their project and was only finished by the current team. Who's to say the arena wasn't the same? With the additions we have seen for the game recently it looks like they are just digging up old ideas and publishing them. In the case of high seas they aren't even working out the bugs before doing so.

So here we are again playing producer roulette with good ole UO. What was the franchise part again? Key chains maybe? Did we ever get a new player experience? Wasn't sure if we did. Could have missed it ya know. Seems updates get smaller and smaller each year.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you go back in the other threads about this I been stating many times of the region that new game based off of UO will be active in. Petra even stated it in this thread. Just some dont want to believe this.

Now this is my opinion but with how laws work in different regions/countries I have the feeling the UO japan site has to be more detailed by the laws and agreements how companies do business there.

At least he took responsabilty for the account and herald mishap but wtf wasn't this updated as soon as he found out. He should of made a call to somebody to get it straightened out asap. Still in the end it was an epic fail on his behalf.

Most UO players dont care of the past work history of the dev team. As long as the game works for them and does what they want with little hic ups here and there they just play the game. Basically saying if it's pretty right in there book they wont scream and holler on the boards. Let's just say Jeff was a janitor and he got promoted to lead producer of UO. As long as he does it right did it matter he used to be a janitor? Not at all.

Jeff needs to really step up when he produces his intro letter and he should crack down on the teams under him to get the news out more efficient and accurate for both sites. At least Cal posted even if it was nothing or left up in the air for debate.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My question is how much of the arena was done by the last producer(not Cal...Draconi) and team. You do know that high seas was their project and was only finished by the current team. Who's to say the arena wasn't the same? With the additions we have seen for the game recently it looks like they are just digging up old ideas and publishing them. In the case of high seas they aren't even working out the bugs before doing so.

So here we are again playing producer roulette with good ole UO. What was the franchise part again? Key chains maybe? Did we ever get a new player experience? Wasn't sure if we did. Could have missed it ya know. Seems updates get smaller and smaller each year.

I think Supreem is over the Arenas and did the work. I may be wrong but Im pretty sure it's all him. Then yet again did they borrow the idea from Warhammer since they are about to release a War Arena style f2p game? I dont know but they all are in the same family. Meaning UO and Warhammer Online.

New player experience there has been no word for a while but is it really going to help? We will have to wait and see. I hope it does make it easier on players but Jeff also will have to address that on how they are going to attract new people ( not returning vets) to play UO.

The game just has bugs over all. Not just with high seas. I think they try to tackle them as fast as they can but there are old bugs I think they just cant fix.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a side note lets not all blame the devs for ALL the "lack of communication." How many times has Messana been in the game since Cal's departure/promotion/MIA/Alien abduction and nobody ever asks ( not even once) her in game what is going on with the communication issues? The ones that have seen her have no issues asking for pixels so which is more important...pixels or communication? Let me leave it at that.
Just goes to show 99.99% of p(l)ayers are more interested in playing UO as opposed to getting a Hello Letter from the new FRANCHISE producer. LMAO re the 150 posts from "wannabe journalists" and "wannabe CMs" here saying its going to be the end of the world because the new Franchise Producer hasnt posted an Hello Letter yet. Get Real. Nobody is going to quit UO if there isnt a post on UOHerald every week. "hey lets cut a developer and get a full time CM instead. 4 sure UO will get 50,000 new p(l)ayers". LMAO.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just goes to show 99.99% of p(l)ayers are more interested in playing UO as opposed to getting a Hello Letter from the new FRANCHISE producer. LMAO re the 150 posts from "wannabe journalists" and "wannabe CMs" here saying its going to be the end of the world because the new Franchise Producer hasnt posted an Hello Letter yet. Get Real. Nobody is going to quit UO if there isnt a post on UOHerald every week. "hey lets cut a developer and get a full time CM instead. 4 sure UO will get 50,000 new p(l)ayers". LMAO.
Reading comprehension and you are like two ships passing in the night... :loser:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will all those wishing to discuss Ultima China and the tenuous possibility that EA will totally change the licensing agreement with Netdragon to allow it to compete directly with their own product in the world market please do so in another thread.

This thread returns to the topic of Tweets from Jeff Skalski or gets locked. Final warning.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Wow! This one blew up! I'm going to have to start logging in on the weekends!

Don't you worry Petra, I'll get us back on track!

Mr. Skalski's letter to the UO Community is still pending.... Tweeted on the 21st....

Not bashing the guy, but posting something like that you would have to think he would be working on it and have something sent out.... At my job, if I commit to something in writing, you can be that the final product would be expected shortly thereafter. Anyway, here's what I have to say on the subject directly to the new captain of our vessel (or is that a Nuclear Wessel?)

Mr. Skalski,

Please don't be afraid of us. Most of the crabbing is specifically because of a lack of communication which breeds speculation. If you look at the respect that GrimmOmen has built up from even a few posts, you would have to see that a consistent feed of information is best. Even if it is joining a thread to insert a short comment or observation. It's comforting and reassuring.

There may be some biting and scratching initially, but eventually everyone will calm down and get constructive.

Please help us help you.

Thanks!

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Potato Cannon!

Can you soak them in vodka using the new brewing skill? Then light them on fire and use them with the throwing skill as a 4th throwing weapon? Because that would be AWESOME!

or Potato Cannon!

oh ... and so I stay on topic: We needs an ingame twitter client! Or perhaps the Slasher of Veils could occasionally spout Tweets from Jeff Skalski?

Status
Not open for further replies.