• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Today's Tweets from Jeff Skalski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since Woodsman has yet to post these...

Our new "Franchise" Producer for Ultima, Jeff Skalski, posted these Tweets to Twitter today:

1)
iPhone on my left, iPad on my right and MacBook on my lap. I maybe home sick, but time to rock out some long overdue tasks.
2)
Yes UO community, I may be referring to my long overdue intro letter to you guys and ladies. ;)
So hopefully, in another month (once whatever he writes works its way through the slow as molasses PR/Legal blackhole at BioWare) we'll get to know him and his plans for UO.

His latest Tweet says that he has an advance copy of Mass Effect 3... *shakes fist*

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
long overdue... long overdue...

why do they let another Dev tell us he's working actively on tiles...

your intro is a fail Mr.Skalski, its time for a formal apology now...

noone even really wanted the arena but a few people... and major bugs who **** us ALL off daily go totally ignored...

but then they post about how their pumpkins is great...

I don't care about what other games he's in charge off or play, this is my only entertainment and I pay for it and expect a certain degree of professionalism...

for christ's sake... :(

T

Trebr Drab

I don't want intros. I don't want chit chat.

I want to know where UO is going. Where the Ultima franchise is going.

And, yes, I want it to go somewhere. Done with stagnation.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'll be interested to see what this letter contains and how much is actually reveals about upcoming plans for the game.

That being said, I don't think anyone appreciates the lack of communication from the team that runs this franchise as a whole. Mr. Skalski may be new and may be reviewing his portfolio, but there are others on the team that have been there for far longer and have remained silent.

This is not an acceptable business practice, especially considering the issues that have been coming up with billing and account management....

Please come back to the table and let us know what's going on. I personally am willing to forgive quite a bit of BS from people who I trust and feel connected to. I don't feel either of those things right now.:(

K

Kayne

Jeff has previously said in response to comments here that he intends to do something about the lack of communication we have been facing. I hope he sticks to that and that Grimm stops being the only dev to comment here.

Ned888

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Me too Kayne! I know this guy has stuff going on, but he also has a staff and should delegate some time to addressing the players.

If each one of the Devs took 30 minutes a week to respond to messages on this board, I believe there would be a much more warm and fuzzy feeling around this place....

UO Herald RSS Feeds don't count.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could do one dev per day on board duty...if there are really 5 devs still workin UO ;)

W

Woodsman

Jeff has previously said in response to comments here that he intends to do something about the lack of communication we have been facing.
Yes.

Entering rant territory.

I hope Jeff can change this, but what the **** is it about Mythic that makes them so reluctant to talk to players? I see this on the Warhammer and Camelot forums. Both did get a bump around their birthdays, more than UO did, but they are right back to silence, with the exception of Kai answering the occasional question on the Warhammer forums.

Skalski was at GDC Austin a week or two ago, there were some really good keynotes on community relations, even some ironically from former UO developers.

How ****ing hard is it to just start talking to us? Every day I check a half a dozen or so gaming websites, and I can barely go a day without somebody from BioWare out there talking up a storm about Star Wars: The Old Republic.

But UO, Warhammer, Camelot? ****, we can for a week or more without hearing anything substantial from all three combined, with the exception of Grimm. If you take Grimm out of the equation, we can go weeks without hearing anything.

That BioWare VP who claimed to be proud of being in charge of UO, Camelot, and Warhammer, he sure as hell doesn't act like it. That was the first time any of us probably heard of him, and it seemed like the only reason he even poked his head up was to dismiss the Warhammer Online rumors about f2p or cancellation in the wake of Star Wars. Damage control, that's it.

I understand that Star Wars sucks up a lot of the resources, but Mythic had this problem going back before that.

K

Kayne

Couldn't agree more Woodsman. While I do understand the devs must feel somewhat reluctant given the response they often get on stratics, it really isn't difficult to post and respond to threads. Christ Grimm does it often enough.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Jeff has previously said in response to comments here that he intends to do something about the lack of communication we have been facing. .
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...ya rite.

K

Kayne

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...ya rite.
:lol: Now flutter I didn't say I expected it to happen, just that it was what he said. I gave up holding my breath on these things after years of broken promises.

C

canary

I rarely agree with Flutter, but this was my response as well.

We keep hearing this. Perhaps he should have started addressing it when he knew people were aware he took on the job.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hrmm *ponders playing angels advocate*

So lets just say for instance we back this up a tad, say a few years.

For years UO has had a dedicated CM. Even then any lulls were met with lulz. That part is a given in any player community.

Then Mythic was absorbed by EA (1k bitcoins if you do NOT mention Borg) and Warhammer was getting a lot of bumps and grinds even though DAoC was the babydoll of Mythic. It's a new title, what else is supposed to happen?

The powers that be at Mythic assured the UO playerbase that UO was included in the family love, DAoC too. We saw some managerial style changes, including the loss of "handles" for the Mythic team posting on forums. Then we saw more changes as well as Mark Jacobs walking away (or running? or at gunpoint? I dunno *shrugs*) and some hard to take layoffs for EA. It was not just the UO team it was many different areas of EA with some entire offices shut down.

Well ain't that the suck? But Mythic hung in there, spread the teams a bit thin I'd suppose but no titles as of yet have been closed down.

Enter Bioware. Can you find a better company who seems to inherently know that nothing released to players should be met with anything less than shock an awe? Soon we have BioMythic and another major title to support. More bumps and grinds for SWToR, which of course is what you do! (it is btw amazing in my lil opinion). This also means more resources needed on a new title, less resources on others but one fountain has to keep full to fill the sippy cups of the others :)

Enter another Community Guy to help with all the titles, exit two..(two!!) community guys moving on to other projects and you have someone trying to stay on top of feedback for three titles. There is an interesting blog by Beans on this from CCP (that I leave you to google and not link or she'll ban me for sucking up her bandwidth) that outlines a basic day for any CM clocking in.

The sad thing is the front line community team IS the most important spokesman for a company. Hell it's built into the word community manager! You have a producer that is taking on all three titles as well (even with a sick day today!) but don't forget that UO itself is in great hands. It is why UO has lasted for 14yrs and will live to see 15 or i'll eat that 1k bitcoins :D

I have full trust in Mesanna. GrimmOmen is outspoken when he can be. Logrus, Supreem, hell pick one and I don't mind as much if they aren't vocal on forums if it means their little hamster wheels are still in motion.

I guess my long winded point is, I don't need Jeff or anyone else to reassure me. Not when I can reassure them that as long as there is a UO to play, I'll be playing it.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No really! Has the silence not spoken volumes? He's maintaining the silence like few others could. Twitter? Really? Twittter......gack!
I also find it interesting he mentions having a copy of another game. I guess were supposed to be envious instead of wondering where he is..........

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We keep hearing this. Perhaps he should have started addressing it when he knew people were aware he took on the job.
Ya think? :lick:

Like I said in a previous thread: Just think of all the potential goodwill they squandered by not saying anything about Arenas immediatly after pub 72 went live. A simple "We're working on Arenas next, stay tuned for a peek on TC!" could have gotten people excited. But, no. Squandered.

Grimm is doing a good job talking about the EC graphics update, my only wish is that the dialogue had started back in May. Or that he could post a few mocked-up screenshots so we could get a taste of what's coming.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya think? :lick:

Like I said in a previous thread: Just think of all the potential goodwill they squandered by not saying anything about Arenasimmediatly after pub 72 went live. A simple "We're working on Arenas next, stay tuned for a peek on TC!" could have gotten people excited. But, no. Squandered.

Grimm is doing a good job talking about the EC graphics update, my only wish is that the dialogue had started back in May. Or that he could post a few mocked-up screenshots so we could get a taste of what's coming.
Well, we need to clone Grimm and when we have an army of Grimms, maybe we will get communication AND client fixes AND maybe some other client side improvements AND server improvements.... obviously we will need teach some Grimms to do other things than graphics or they will not go too far :lol:

Seriously seems that UO is became bigger than they can manage :/

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Consider this:

In 2010, news of mass layoffs at EA surfaced on October 27th. In 2009, the layoff news broke on or around November 9th. In 2008, EA layoffs made the news around October 30th and then again on December 22nd. In 2007, the news about layoffs was announced October 25th.

Maybe it's getting to be about that time of the year again and that teasing little "tweet" is all we're gonna get to hold us over for the next couple of months while we wonder what UO's future holds. If he times it just right, Jeff can avoid having to actually come right out and have anything officially posted on the Herald with his name on it for a couple more months. What better excuse could he possibly have and who wouldn't be willing to cut him some slack if news hits that EA has once again cut their staff?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I think he's kinda afraid to come speak to us.

Perhaps he doesn't have a good fireproof suit.

I don't know the excuse but they are all getting old if you ask me.

I don't think it takes that much time to sit down and peck out a few words on a keyboard.

We aren't asking for a speech like Lincoln's Gettysburg address... We'd just like to hear stuff like Hi... working on the next project think you will love it... hoping to have something out in the next couple of weeks...

Yes we are aware of that bug... yes we are working to fix that...

Something anything rather than stone cold silence would be preferable.

(Oh and try to at LEAST use some sort of spellcheck.... and remember what the names of things are.... that goes a LONG way to keeping the flames at bay)

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I don't need Jeff or anyone else to reassure me. Not when I can reassure them that as long as there is a UO to play, I'll be playing it.
Uhm.. no.

They need to be reassuring us that there will be a UO to play tomorrow, the day after that, and the year after that. However, they can't do this with silence. Silence just makes us think nobody cares and that our money, support, and fandom isn't appreciated or desired. This causes people to stop paying.

Then Mythic was absorbed by EA...
This has what to do with UO?

EA has always owned UO. This is indisputable fact.

Mythic inherited UO from EARS, before that they had nothing to do with it. Mythic then took UO and made it what it is today...the burned out husk of its former self. Sadly pathetic propaganda. Low subs. Low standards. Low expectations.

In steps BioWare when EA decides Mythic can't run itself anymore. Now we have BioWare Mythic... Yay?

Many of us thought that BioWare was a good choice for breathing new life into UO since many of their games are fun, well-thought-out, and gigantic hits. We're still waiting, the enthusiasm dimmed considerably.

Communication is key to keeping your customers happy, BioWare Mythic hasn't even found the lock yet. More players will continue to leave UO if this issue, and the other massive F-up recently, isn't addressed - SOON. Then you won't have to worry about reassurances, UO will be gone.

And seriously, I don't give a damn about SW:TOR, I really, really don't. Well, unless its what's sucking all the life out of UO like some great feasting Anzati. We won't be getting some manna-from-heaven windfall if, and I do stress if, SW:TOR somehow manages to succeed (and they stay successful).

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I think he's kinda afraid to come speak to us.

Perhaps he doesn't have a good fireproof suit.
Jeff is 1. a gamer and 2. a gamer from pvp centralized games like DAoC and Warhammer.

Me thinks the man can handle some smack talkin UO style :p

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uhm.. no.

They need to be reassuring us
Umm no they need to be reassuring you.

We each have our own style in gaming and life. I meant what I said, I can reassure anyone that asks that I'm a dedicated UO player who will *click* log into UO client :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm excited to hear Jeff's vision. Also, I'm particularly interested in what the "Ultima Franchise" refers to, outside of our beloved UO.

Can we make a network-wide pact to give him a chance before beating him up? I'll bat my eyelashes, if it helps. :grouphug:

S

Spyderis

AirmidCecht, That fact that there has been no communication has all of us wondering whats next. UO hasnt lasted 14 years because of them, It has Lasted because of us!!! The people who PAY to play. If there was no revenue that equals a certain profit margin then UO would be shut down. lets just say there are 100k people who pay to play uo, that is 1.4 mil a month 16.8 a year. So all this Intransition, migration, bugs.....Ok fine S^&T happens. Its the silence that Kills!! Wait we got some dyes...FAIL...

Grim is my new hero!! :bowdown:

For Mr.Skalski...sick day my azz. He is playing that new game, Long overdue is an understatement.

For Starwars..How long are Lucas and EA going to beat a dead horse//LMAO
ya ya i know 3 mil presale.. I believe i wont keep its luster, we all know whats happens next in the story oooo..ahhh...

I think Stratics is great, no ill will intended for the stratics staff.

ULTIMA ONLIKE FOREVER.....TO ALL THAT OPPOSE:fight::gee: :gun::stretcher:

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Syrus has the cutest lashes. No lie. Give it a chance if for that reason alone :D

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umm no they need to be reassuring you.
Yes. JUST ME. Since in your world, there must be no growing discontent on the boards here about these issues, right? We're imagining it?

Several of the most strident pom-pom wavers have begun to voice their dissatisfaction as well. This is telling.

But, no, your rose-colored glasses are welded to your face at the molecular level. UO is in trouble. Issues continue unaddressed. Communication SUCKS.

But as long as you can log in, regardless of what others can see, the world is just peaches and cream.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
AirmidCecht, That fact that there has been no communication has all of us wondering whats next. UO hasnt lasted 14 years because of them, It has Lasted because of us!!! The people who PAY to play. If there was no revenue that equals a certain profit margin then UO would be shut down. lets just say there are 100k people who pay to play uo, that is 1.4 mil a month 16.8 a year. So all this Intransition, migration, bugs.....Ok fine S^&T happens. Its the silence that Kills!! Wait we got some dyes...FAIL...

Grim is my new hero!! :bowdown:

For Mr.Skalski...sick day my azz. He is playing that new game, Long overdue is an understatement.

For Starwars..How long are Lucas and EA going to beat a dead horse//LMAO
ya ya i know 3 mil presale.. I believe i wont keep its luster, we all know whats happens next in the story oooo..ahhh...

I think Stratics is great, no ill will intended for the stratics staff.

ULTIMA ONLIKE FOREVER.....TO ALL THAT OPPOSE:fight::gee: :gun::stretcher:
Yes spider we are the yin to their yang.

The cherry to their pop. ( just happen to be drinking cherry pepsi)

You can't have one without the other. We the players support the title and losing our support would of course mean that title goes away. However the decision could be handed down at any given time to move on from UO. Shut de door, ni ni, and there would be little the paying player base could say about it.

I like the perpetual motion option. They keep the servers up, I'll log in to play.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uhm.. no.

They need to be reassuring us that there will be a UO to play tomorrow, the day after that, and the year after that. However, they can't do this with silence. Silence just makes us think nobody cares and that our money, support, and fandom isn't appreciated or desired. This causes people to stop paying.
This, exactly. Read that first sentence several times, and you will understand what some of us are saying. They like the fact that we pay for more than one account, that we don't play, just to hold a house. And they have their stop-n-rob shop, where we can legally make RLTs ;). I am beginning to have a real serious problem tho, with giving them any RL money at all, since I have begun wondering if I will be able to use the items for long enough to make it worthwhile. *shrugs*
We were gonna get this big video explaining our future, what we got was about 5 secs that skipped all around the subject. We were gonna get some peek at the long term plans for our future. I musta missed that too.
Honest to God, it quite often seems like we are here only because they can't figure out how to get rid of us. and I mean without alienating us where we will not buy product, and will tell our people not to.
Oh well, if silence is golden, WE as UO players are RICH!!! :eek:

W

Woodsman

Like I said in a previous thread: Just think of all the potential goodwill they squandered by not saying anything about Arenas immediatly after pub 72 went live. A simple "We're working on Arenas next, stay tuned for a peek on TC!" could have gotten people excited. But, no. Squandered.
Have to agree. Even Camelot was talking about upcoming changes. Hell, they are publishing developer diaries, or were. That may have ceased after a couple of entries, but they were still talking about upcoming changes.

Every game does this.

There are times to keep secrets, no doubt about that, but not to the extent that say Apple keeps secrets. The videogame industry runs on hype. EA has been hyping the hell out of Battlefield 3. BioWare is hyping the hell out of Star Wars. If you read gaming websites, you can't avoid the hype. They are doing everything they can to tell you why you should be playing their game, complete with videos and screenshots.

UO on the other hand.....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes. JUST ME. Since in your world, there must be no growing discontent on the boards here about these issues, right? We're imagining it?

Several of the most strident pom-pom wavers haven't begun to voice their dissatisfaction as well. This is telling.

But, no, your rose-colored glasses are welded to your face at the molecular level. UO is in trouble. Issues continue unaddressed. Communication SUCKS.

But as long as you can log in, regardless of what others can see, the world is just peaches and cream.

THIS! ^^^ Says it all... Even the biggest Pom Pom wavers of 2 years ago have put them down and have begun to find their voice.

We have Raised them about as loud as we dare!

We LOVE UO! We don't want it to die and I for one REFUSE to sit idly by and do nothing as it slips into the oblivion. I'm Fed up with the lack of accountability of action... I'm tired of hearing the same ole song and dance... while I see more and more of my friends and companions leave ...

I want Action! I want to hear what the future holds for the game I love... and I want to see that the DEV's are as fired up about UO as I am.

I don't want put into Maintenance mode.... I want UO to move into build mode... designing for the future... moving forward... fixing long known issues that keep players from returning. Issues that may seem trivial but are VITAL to the growth of the game.

This is what I want. And I'm not going to LIE and say "Oh yes thank you for the boot the head!" I'm so glad you gave me a ONE USE DYE!

BS ...... I called it you know it is. It is BS! We don't like it... we don't think that's peachy... We are outraged!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Several of the most strident pom-pom wavers have begun to voice their dissatisfaction as well. This is telling.

Speaking as someone who has helped quite a few log in during the acct migration fiasco (wait did she just say fiasco? quick! get the glasses on her!!:D), I can tell ya that many others would yes like to log in.

I'm not excusing behavior because it's not mine to excuse. I'm giving a point of view w/out trying to speak for the collective motley crew who decide to post around these parts. You said, "us," I said, "you." Meaning I can't speak for you any more than you can speak for me. I can however offer an opinion that contradicts yours or anyone else who feels your way. See how forums can be a PvE facet? I'ts just another take darlin.

C

canary

Martyna is right, Airmid is wrong.

Airmid: Just because you and a select few of the 'pom pom wavers' (as they are often called) do not need reassured doesn't mean that there are TENS OF TOUSANDS of accounts with holders that need more than deafening silence to reassure them that there is actually something going on, a clear path... something, anything... to continue support with this game and keep accounts open.

Because, trust me, without the support of THOSE people, you won't be logging into UO for this 'years to come' you speak of.

W

Woodsman

In steps BioWare when EA decides Mythic can't run itself anymore. Now we have BioWare Mythic... Yay?

Many of us thought that BioWare was a good choice for breathing new life into UO since many of their games are fun, well-thought-out, and gigantic hits. We're still waiting, the enthusiasm dimmed considerably.
I was very interested in the whole BioWare taking over angle.

But just a few weeks ago, the guys who run BioWare came out and said that they find it funny when people criticize EA over decisions concerning BioWare games because they claimed that they control BioWare and that decisions made affecting BioWare products are made by them, and not EA.

That left me so disappointed. That tells me that the state of the Mythic MMOs is directly attributed to them.

Stuff is happening - artwork update, arenas, etc., but they sure as hell don't seem intent on communicating that officially or discussing it more. I follow Massively, and I see developers from other games talking about smaller changes or additions than arenas.

I have yet to see BioWare act like they own UO or Camelot, outside of rebranding Camelot and removing the Mythic logos.

C

canary

I was very interested in the whole BioWare taking over angle.

But just a few weeks ago, the guys who run BioWare came out and said that they find it funny when people criticize EA over decisions concerning BioWare games because they claimed that they control BioWare and that decisions made affecting BioWare products are made by them, and not EA.

That left me so disappointed. That tells me that the state of the Mythic MMOs is directly attributed to them.

Stuff is happening - artwork update, arenas, etc., but they sure as hell don't seem intent on communicating that officially or discussing it more. I follow Massively, and I see developers from other games talking about smaller changes or additions than arenas.

I have yet to see BioWare act like they own UO or Camelot, outside of rebranding Camelot and removing the Mythic logos.
I follow mmorpg's site, and it is the rare, rare, rare, rare, rare day that anything is posted regarding Ultima Online. Which is sad, given that much smaller games seem to have much more news on their site.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are times to keep secrets, no doubt about that
rolleyes:

There is absolutely no need for UO to keep any secrets, I mean, can any of you, with a straight face, seriously tell me that UO is gonna come up with some earth shattering MMO changing skill, playstyle, or artwork? WTF, the only secret they could be keeping is which part of which competitors game they are gonna copy next.

I can't be a fanbois forever. There comes a time when ya have to call it like ya see it. I love the game, extremely (at this point) dislike its operators...whatever name they are running under this month.

K

Kayne

We LOVE UO! We don't want it to die and I for one REFUSE to sit idly by and do nothing as it slips into the oblivion. I'm Fed up with the lack of accountability of action... I'm tired of hearing the same ole song and dance... while I see more and more of my friends and companions leave ...

I want Action! I want to hear what the future holds for the game I love... and I want to see that the DEV's are as fired up about UO as I am.

I don't want put into Maintenance mode.... I want UO to move into build mode... designing for the future... moving forward... fixing long known issues that keep players from returning. Issues that may seem trivial but are VITAL to the growth of the game.
Couldn't agree more with the quoted bit of your post MalagAste.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Martyna is right, Airmid is wrong.

Airmid: Just because you and a select few of the 'pom pom wavers' (as they are often called) do not need reassured doesn't mean that there are TENS OF TOUSANDS of accounts with holders that need more than deafening silence to reassure them that there is actually something going on, a clear path... something, anything... to continue support with this game and keep accounts open.

Because, trust me, without the support of THOSE people, you won't be logging into UO for this 'years to come' you speak of.
This gives me giggle fits. If only because anyone still logging in is still supporting UO. Jeff or not. That's about all I'm saying. I support UO. And I do recall mentioning making it to the 15yr mark. I mean really? Who gives up that title if you can keep it going amiright? :D

I get the lack of communication and have never denied it's existence. I have also folded back the notepad to a few yrs ago and what has led us to this point. Simple acknowledgement of where things are at and possible reasons why. I have no more concrete answers than anyone else as to why. I certainly still hold true to the fact that I'm gonna be doing a Champ tonight, fishing tomorrw, I hear there is an Atlantic event coming up and who knows what next week.

Sorry if that is too rosey colored for y'all :love:

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, I can see where people having an actual, real reason to complain over poor customer service can make one giggle... darlin.
It's more the fact that you are making assumptions about me that I felt were a little off. :)

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not excusing behavior because it's not mine to excuse. I'm giving a point of view w/out trying to speak for the collective motley crew who decide to post around these parts. You said, "us," I said, "you." Meaning I can't speak for you any more than you can speak for me. I can however offer an opinion that contradicts yours or anyone else who feels your way. See how forums can be a PvE facet? I'ts just another take darlin.

The 'agree to disagree' spin?

Le. Sigh.

Sorry, but your permissive attitude is part of the problem.

We pay for UO. It's not free. It's not something crafted by magical elves with rainbows and faery dust... It's sloppily run by a studio under the aegis of the gaming industry's Satan: EA.

EA who gets most of our money, BTW. And in return we get... age-old bugs... rampant cheating... billing fiascos (yes, plural)... random Dev layoffs... deafening silence, punctuated by all-too-brief flurries of activity...then more silence.

And still, we pay.

Some of us just expect to receive a little care, consideration, and communication from those we give money to.

It is unfortunate that some people are willing to be shat on repeatedly, then happily endure more of the same. (Apathy of low standards)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stuff is happening - artwork update, arenas, etc., but they sure as hell don't seem intent on communicating that officially or discussing it more.
I suspect the arena test center was opened up primarily to give us something to do, Woodsman. I think it's become a bit of a tradition for the developers to do some crazy "test shard" stuff at this time of the year and this is what they gave us in lieu of the Shard of the Dead from last year.

I think the arenas are kinda Supreem's project, as was, I believe, last year's Shard of the Dead. He took a bit of heat last year over one aspect of the Shard of the Dead (a one-hit-kill glass weapon) and was probably a bit reluctant to put up the same shard this year for that reason and because it might have started up the speculation again about getting a classic shard. So instead of repeating the Shard of the Dead, they're letting us play with the arenas during the period when we usually would have been tromping all over a special test shard of some sort. Unless and until someone like Jeff or Mesanna clearly says we're getting arenas in a publish in the "near" future, I'm considering the test center arena to be a temporary Halloween season diversion.

S

Spyderis

Does anyone know the ranking of bioware mythic games, meening player accounts per game? where does uo rank? are we at the bottom of the list middle?

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 'agree to disagree' spin?

Le. Sigh.

Sorry, but your permissive attitude is part of the problem.

We pay for UO. It's not free. It's not something crafted by magical elves with rainbows and faery dust... It's sloppily run by a studio under the aegis of the gaming industry's Satan: EA.

EA who gets most of our money, BTW. And in return we get... age-old bugs... rampant cheating... billing fiascos (yes, plural)... random Dev layoffs... deafening silence, punctuated by all-too-brief flurries of activity...then more silence.

And still, we pay.

Some of us just expect to receive a little care, consideration, and communication from those we give money to.

It is unfortunate that some people are willing to be shat on repeatedly, then happily endure more of the same. (Apathy of low standards)
I didn't realize you quit playing. I'm sorry :(

I'll let my discussions with you go then. And yes we can agree to disagree sometimes and hold on to our opinions.

S

Spyderis

Tina you are correct in the fact the Area is a diversion from new content. why? beacuse the Arena takes very little programming, artwork. its simply a box w/ graphics that you pvp in. On a skill lvl its a 4 out of 10. We wont even talk about halloween..

W

Woodsman

Does anyone know the ranking of bioware mythic games, meening player accounts per game? where does uo rank? are we at the bottom of the list middle?
I think Warhammer is in worse shape than UO. The fact that Warhammer players have been begging for more server mergers is not a good sign.

But that BioWare VP I mentioned that claimed ownership over the Mythic MMOs claims that Warhammer has been picking up subs. I find that laughable given the state Warhammer is in, but it did have an anniversary and the arenas game is out, people maybe coming back.

I'm about to resub to Camelot, so that'll be a +1 for them. They seem to be working on it a lot.

A

AesSedai

- I 'most always look forward to the Producer's Letters. Here's to hoping it has some substance.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*quickly re-reads own post*

I didn't realize you quit playing. I'm sorry :(
Uhm... Huh?

*scratches head*

Not sure where you got that from...I still play...have multiple accounts in fact. I've played for 14 years... Ah, I see, you're baiting me. Naughty, naughty mod!

Yes, I pay, and play, for craptastic CS and a buggy game. But, notice, I'm not quiet about the issues or my dissatisfaction therein. In fact, I closed two accounts that weren't holding GL community buildings a while back.

There is a difference between blindly supporting (paying) EA/BioWare Mythic (quietly accepting the lacking service) and supporting UO itself along with the friends, communities, and relationships built over 14+ years. People 'complain' about the problems because we want them fixed, we want UO to move in a positive direction.

It's the people who respond to the things we get like an abused puppy (taking any scrap of affection without question) and praise mediocrity that annoy us.

S

Spyderis

*quickly re-reads own post*

Uhm... Huh?

*scratches head*

Not sure where you got that from...I still play...have multiple accounts in fact. I've played for 14 years... Ah, I see, you're baiting me. Naughty, naughty mod!

Yes, I pay, and play, for craptastic CS and a buggy game. But, notice, I'm not quiet about the issues or my dissatisfaction therein. In fact, I closed two accounts that weren't holding GL community buildings a while back.

There is a difference between blindly supporting (paying) EA/BioWare Mythic (quietly accepting the lacking service) and supporting UO itself along with the friends, communities, and relationships built over 14+ years. People 'complain' about the problems because we want them fixed, we want UO to move in a positive direction.

It's the people who respond to the things we get like an abused puppy (taking any scrap of affection without question) and praise mediocrity that annoy us.
WELL SAID !!

Status
Not open for further replies.