• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Time To Bring Back OLD IDOC System Or New Way To Catch Scripters

JobriathCairn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alternatively - as I will try to interject role playing wherever possible in this game:

While walking around Britannia, you notice an abandoned house.
Click the Sign to create an "Intent to Claim Deed", which describes the house and its location. (lat/long)
Take deed to Sakari the Notary in Britain. Hand him the deed, he hands it back notarized with time and date of the draw (day of the IDOC falling)

Sakari: "Ah I see you have laid claim to a decaying house. Some long lost relative of yours I suppose? The court will review your claim and get back to you presently."

Your name is entered in a draw to "inherit" the house.
You can only inherit one house per account per day - choose carefully which houses you will lay claim to!

Should the owner return and reclaim the house, all deed claims are nullified
Should the owner not return, on the day of the IDOC a random ticket is drawn and your notarized claim deed changes to read either says "Claim Request Denied" or "A Deed to a House" with an appropriate description. Clicking on the deed teleports you to the house like the vendor search deeds. You have 7 days to claim your deed.

You inherit the house for 7 day, your other houses remain intact for 7 days only.
Before you can enter the house, you can choose only 1 item from the house sign menu:

- Lay claim to this property - making this your primary house - all other houses will be condemned
- Salvage this property - Loot to your hearts content - house will drop when the last item is removed.
- Sell this house to another player "As Is" (UO Storage Wars style - you will not be able to open any containers if you choose this option, but the house switches to Public)
- Sell this house to another player "Empty" (standard house transaction)

After 7 days, if you have not claimed your deed:
Sign is changed to "House sealed for the public safety - by order RBG", security is set to Private for everyone, including you and the past owner. No one can enter.
The house will fall a random amount of time later (1 - 24 hours after server up the next day), and standard IDOC rules take over.

Thoughts?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Alternatively - as I will try to interject role playing wherever possible in this game:

Click the Sign to create an "Intent to Claim Deed", which describes the house and its location. (lat/long)
Take deed to Sakari the Notary in Britain. Hand him the deed, he hands it back notarized with time and date of the draw (day of the IDOC falling)

Sakari: "Ah I see you have laid claim to a decaying house. Some long lost relative of yours I suppose? The court will review your claim and get back to you presently."

You can only inherit one house per account per day - choose carefully which houses you will lay claim to!

Should the owner not return, on the day of the IDOC a random ticket is drawn and your notarized claim deed changes to read either says "Claim Request Denied" or "A Deed to a House" with an appropriate description. Clicking on the deed teleports you to the house like the vendor search deeds. You have 7 days to claim your deed.

You inherit the house for 7 day, your other houses remain intact for 7 days only.
Before you can enter the house, you can choose only 1 item from the house sign menu:

- Lay claim to this property - making this your primary house - all other houses will be condemned
- Salvage this property - Loot to your hearts content - house will drop when the last item is removed.
- Sell this house to another player "As Is" (UO Storage Wars style - you will not be able to open any containers if you choose this option, but the house switches to Public)

Sign is changed to "House sealed for the public safety - by order RBG", security is set to Private for everyone, including you and the past owner. No one can enter.
The house will fall a random amount of time later (1 - 24 hours after server up the next day), and standard IDOC rules take over.

Thoughts?
Nope, how about Mesanna just blocks all 3rd party script programs. Observes and bans all cheats and return the idoc system to how it was years ago. Then everyone who wants to do idocs can. Those that don’t, don’t
I am tired of all these ideas. Just hammer the cheats. A small patch every day to the client will kill cheat programs. But that would mean Mesanna would have to actually do her job and that would take effort

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope, how about Mesanna just blocks all 3rd party script programs. Observes and bans all cheats and return the idoc system to how it was years ago. Then everyone who wants to do idocs can. Those that don’t, don’t
I am tired of all these ideas. Just hammer the cheats. A small patch every day to the client will kill cheat programs. But that would mean Mesanna would have to actually do her job and that would take effort
Technical solutions will not work and only start an arms race between developers and script IDOCers. Studios with 100x the resources of Broadsword can't do it. No way the UO team could do it.

They simply need to ban some top offenders, enforce the ToS. As of now, everyone knows that with a paid account almost everything goes. With 10+ accounts paid even more. If people would see that high profile cheater get banned, they would consider their actions.

The last high profile catch was this guy duping thousands of tokens. Feels like this is where BS actually draws their real bottom line. Anything short of that is fair game nowadays.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That would just be scripted too.

Personally I think the stuff should go into tmap and mib loot tables, or just delete entirely.
Damn, I love this idea. It should have been this way since the beginning.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EVEVYONE should cut and paste EVERY SINGLE ONE of these responses/ideas, and mass email them to @Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix ! If they get enough of them, perhaps they will understand that the HONEST players are SICK AND TIRED of all cheating/scripting/RMT BS, and do something about it.

FYI, I'm not asking those of you who posted here, but DO script/cheat/RMT's, to email her. You can if you want though! :)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing that has been stated here would solve the scripting problem.

Let me remind all of you. The "pro" Scripters are more talented coders than our UO staff and greatly out number the staff.

It is also blatantly obvious that this staff has no intention of doing anything about scripters. The fixes necessary to do this are very simple and could be done a very short amount of time.

Since anything actually relevant to this topic cannot be discussed on stratics please feel free to icq me to have a real conversation about the problem.

Otherwise just be happy you have a game to play still.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since anything actually relevant to this topic cannot be discussed on stratics please feel free to icq me to have a real conversation about the problem.
Why? There is no repercussion anymore. Stratics is not the official forum of UO. As long as you follow the rules you can post what you want.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why? There is no repercussion anymore. Stratics is not the official forum of UO. As long as you follow the rules you can post what you want.
cannot discuss in depth what it takes to get rid of scripting with out talking about specific programs and specific people. These things would be against ToS here at stratics. Unless things have changed.

Merth

Journeyman

Thoughts?
I like this idea the best...however I think it seems to still be scriptable tho will give honest players a shot.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
cannot discuss in depth what it takes to get rid of scripting with out talking about specific programs and specific people. These things would be against ToS here at stratics. Unless things have changed.
Things have changed. We can discuss these things. We can not advertise the web sites but you could describe what they do. It may open some eyes. I play for fun. I have "cheated" in single player games since the 80s. Never searched for cheating in UO. Go for it.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It is never too late for the Devs to fix things, or at least try..I am sure they are not happy with the scripting and other cheating going on, but any code fixes could have dire consequences for lots of people..
Anyways this game is a fantastic alternate world, a wonderful digital UO planet, still is, after all these years. With all the beautiful, the good, the bad, the ugly sometimes..Enjoy it, and keep reporting to the Devs. Hoping that some day they will be able to fix things. I still love it, don't cheat, and despise cheaters and exploiters. Just don't pay attention to them.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Things have changed. We can discuss these things. We can not advertise the web sites but you could describe what they do. It may open some eyes. I play for fun. I have "cheated" in single player games since the 80s. Never searched for cheating in UO. Go for it.
the last time i did that i got a 3 day ban... :) feel free to icq me though.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wonder if @Bleak @Kyronix have even bothered to read this thread? Surely they know that the cheating/scripting/RMT's are causing people to quit the game, and that the lack of effort by the Devs to do anything about it, is a slap in the face of honest players, and yes, causes players to "wonder" about the Devs "motives" in not taking any action.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But they tell you every month about all the bans they made in the newsletter...
For stupid crap. hehe I just think it is VERY odd/scary, that I have personally sent @Mesanna PROOF of RMT's and she apparently refuses to do ANYTHING about those players. Who are KNOWN "friends" of hers. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.......

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For stupid crap. hehe I just think it is VERY odd/scary, that I have personally sent @Mesanna PROOF of RMT's and she apparently refuses to do ANYTHING about those players. Who are KNOWN "friends" of hers. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.......
.... Then you identify as apache helicopter and shoot it down with a cruise missle

jrede23

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys we have all seen the "fixes," the devs and mesanna make. To think they could do anything about the house sign and 7 days loot then going to cavern of discard is absolutely hilarious. They can't fix anything properly in this game and that is farrr too advanced for them to comprehend! With the new system they catered to the scripters they tried to abolish. LIterally u can see the same crews at the same idocs every single day. The ones who have no jobs, no outside life, and can spend 5-10-15 hours on 26 diff shards idocing daily. I used to do idocs all the time, now I do like 10 a week max, cuz well i work for one, and two i wont choose an idoc over leaving my house to do something fun. when it was six hours it was far easier for the normal person to go that worked and had a life.

The solution is quite simple really, make everything dissapear when the house goes idoc. No one gets anything except placement. Matter settled. You will never stop scripts, they will always find a new way to do it, or open new accts, they dont have enough GM's to police 2-10 idocs daily per shard, its not feasible. If you banned all the people that script in general for anything its more like 80% not 50% and thats a low estimate lol so the game would shut down. Nowadays I do mainly fel ones cuz they are fun and u can kill ppl and the uber stealth/euo scripts dont work there when the people are dead lmao. Just my thoughts.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nowadays I do mainly fel ones cuz they are fun and u can kill ppl and the uber stealth/euo scripts dont work there when the people are dead
The best way to fix it in my opinion would be to make the area around the house open PvP while it is IDOC and a few hours after it falls. Fel IDOCs are some of my favorite content. Trammel IDOCs are boring even without the scripters.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The best way to fix it in my opinion would be to make the area around the house open PvP while it is IDOC and a few hours after it falls. Fel IDOCs are some of my favorite content. Trammel IDOCs are boring even without the scripters.
Yes, so that we can replace one select group of individuals grabbing all the stuff for themselves with another one. Classic UO - take a bad situation and "fix" it by making it worse.

jrede23

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fairest solution would be, wait for it, wait for it, to BAN the scripters.
Keith we've went over this 80% of the players in this game script, you do that you lose the entire game. furthermore if you just banned accts scripting at idocs, all it would be is dummy acct after dummy acct. paying 10 bucks a month. theyd have to ban IP's and they don't have the capability of banning them.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Keith we've went over this 80% of the players in this game script, you do that you lose the entire game. furthermore if you just banned accts scripting at idocs, all it would be is dummy acct after dummy acct. paying 10 bucks a month. theyd have to ban IP's and they don't have the capability of banning them.
It doesn't mean I am wrong!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the high HP grubber idea, maybe even use something like valorite elementals instead. Also they should make the ground around the area do a constant poison damage kinda like the room in blackthorns you get teled to if being inactive. Make the player have to interact so they don't die while attempting to fight and loot things. This would make IDOCS a better group activity and remove all soloers from scripting it unattended. But I also like making every idoc fel ruleset, game was much better when the players policed themselves. The invention of trammel based facets is the reason why scripting exists and is actually profitable.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
over this 80% of the players in this game script, you do that you lose the entire game.
Not sure where your numbers come from. Perhaps 80% of the players YOU know. Anyway, suppose the Devs DO ban the scripters/Cheaters/RMT people, and it DOES shut down the game. At least they can say they tried to keep the game honest, and acted with integrity (for once) instead of looking like fools, ostriches, or worse, looking like they are actually INVOLVED with those people (as I HAVE had one of the "worst offenders" tell me). FYI, I sent a screenshot of the conversation where he accused her of knowing all about it, to @Mesanna . Her response was *crickets* and the player is still active, and was actually at the last M&G, discussing IDOC's "solutions" ! ROFL @ the hypocrisy. @Bleak @Kyronix HOW ABOUT AT? Grow some "stones" and ban some Scripters/Cheaters/RMT people!

The truth is, these people have "run off" WAY more honest players than you can imagine.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't script... I play the EC... which does things with a lot less clicking. We all know most of those ones cheating... and it's a good select few... but these select few hold many accounts... they know who is doing most of the really bad stuff we complain about... yet nothing ever happens to them. I've paged on several Multi-boxers.

I agree with @Keith of Sonoma they (the DEVs and the cheaters) have run off most the honest players that were playing for "fun"... what we have left are the Greedy, the Obsessed, and those out to make a buck, cheaters, scammers and the like, and finally those who just don't want to learn another game but are seriously annoyed here.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure where your numbers come from. Perhaps 80% of the players YOU know. Anyway, suppose the Devs DO ban the scripters/Cheaters/RMT people, and it DOES shut down the game. At least they can say they tried to keep the game honest, and acted with integrity (for once) instead of looking like fools, ostriches, or worse, looking like they are actually INVOLVED with those people (as I HAVE had one of the "worst offenders" tell me). FYI, I sent a screenshot of the conversation where he accused her of knowing all about it, to @Mesanna . Her response was *crickets* and the player is still active, and was actually at the last M&G, discussing IDOC's "solutions" ! ROFL @ the hypocrisy. @Bleak @Kyronix HOW ABOUT AT? Grow some "stones" and ban some Scripters/Cheaters/RMT people!

The truth is, these people have "run off" WAY more honest players than you can imagine.
well if you are that unhappy that you even suggest BAN them at all costs (even if the game is not profitable anymore and needs to be shut down) id suggest give me all your stuff and stop playing.

everyone is throwing around numbers but no one actually got facts.
people are complaining about this person and that person who cheats for sure ! 100%! however no one actually seems to have proof. someone running around with 20 packies? well the game allowes it with the folloing mechanism.
an idoc that gets cleared in seconds, sure it can be that one guy, or the 5 hidden dudes.

maybe mesanna just thinks your "proof" is not proof enough to ban someone?!

i doubt that you can show a screenshot from that accused persons desktop where you can see his logged in client with running tool XYZ.

i personally thinks this is not a left of right side problem between cheater and no cheater, there is a lot of room for middle ground and their ToS are pretty much outdated.

my opinion on the topic is that the idoc system should be modified in a certrain way that scriptlooting it gets harder and if best not predictable.
there was an idea a few days back. remove the timer from the houssign, give all the stuff a decay time till next server up.
if possible more grubbers and add random stuff or full boxes to tmaps

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
well if you are that unhappy that you even suggest BAN them at all costs (even if the game is not profitable anymore and needs to be shut down) id suggest give me all your stuff and stop playing.

everyone is throwing around numbers but no one actually got facts.
people are complaining about this person and that person who cheats for sure ! 100%! however no one actually seems to have proof. someone running around with 20 packies? well the game allowes it with the folloing mechanism.
an idoc that gets cleared in seconds, sure it can be that one guy, or the 5 hidden dudes.

maybe mesanna just thinks your "proof" is not proof enough to ban someone?!

i doubt that you can show a screenshot from that accused persons desktop where you can see his logged in client with running tool XYZ.

i personally thinks this is not a left of right side problem between cheater and no cheater, there is a lot of room for middle ground and their ToS are pretty much outdated.

my opinion on the topic is that the idoc system should be modified in a certrain way that scriptlooting it gets harder and if best not predictable.
there was an idea a few days back. remove the timer from the houssign, give all the stuff a decay time till next server up.
if possible more grubbers and add random stuff or full boxes to tmaps
Says the guy who "says" he is quitting (you). I think I shared my feelings with you via ICQ. I'm sorry if that hurt your feelings. I have a suspicion I was pretty "spot on" though, wasn't I? :)

And no, there is no "middle ground" in cheating, you either do, or you don't. It's pretty cut and dried. It's kind of like being pregnant. There is no middle ground. You either are, or you aren't.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
id suggest give me all your stuff and stop playing.
Why would I give it to you? You have said you are quitting, unless that was ...... FYI, if and when I leave the game, ALL my stuff will be given to guild mates, or, if they have already quit, it will ALL be unlocked inside in my houses so it will decay. To be lost forever!

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why would I give it to you? You have said you are quitting, unless that was ...... FYI, if and when I leave the game, ALL my stuff will be given to guild mates, or, if they have already quit, it will ALL be unlocked inside in my houses so it will decay. To be lost forever!
The point is that all of the persons complain actually don't have proof

Or do you have a statement from them where they admit that they script loot idocs?

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Or do you have a statement from them where they admit that they script loot idocs?
Any decent GM can see this very easily. I know who cheats in this game, so do most people, its blatently obvious. If I could name people here I would, a lot of them are known, but some are trusted to be brokers and other such things and they are some of the biggest cheats in the game.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Any decent GM can see this very easily. I know who cheats in this game, so do most people, its blatently obvious. If I could name people here I would, a lot of them are known, but some are trusted to be brokers and other such things and they are some of the biggest cheats in the game.
thats excactly the problem, stuff you "see" and all "know" is no proof.

iam not saying here that some stuff looks very suspiciuous or anything, but the difference between your observation and hard proof are 2 pair of shoes.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Yes, and ones where they admit to RMT's, AND that @Mesanna knows about it!!!!!!!!!!!! Which were then sent TO Mesanna, and ZERO was done about it.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the only logical solution.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Exactly! GET THE POINT @Bleak @Kyronix People are tired of the cheaters/scripters/RMT people

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nailed it.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
stop packy at idoc! :)
Seriously, this. When a house comes crashing down it should spook pack pets so that they stop responding temporarily. This would make it harder to hoard up loot as quickly.

I'd go one further, if a container can be smashed with an axe have it come apart during collapse as well, anything to make an idoc last more than 6 seconds after a multi-day wait.