• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Time again for a plea to raise stable slots...

T

Toptwo

/signed

Yes, as a full time tamer (real tamer at that: 120/120/120) I make my online living out of taming and training up pets. I like nothing better then to get a rare cu color and train it up to 5x GM status before I sell it to another player. The difference between say a untrained white cu selling for 500k or so, and a fully trained 5xGM one that I can sell for 4-5 mil is worth it to me. However with the way the stable slots are now I can only keep 1 or 2 at a time to do this with.. unless I wanted to "sell off" ALL of my personal pets too
I would gladly pay more then 30gp per day to stable any and all pets over my original 14 slots. Not to mention my poor miner and lumberjack chars only haveing 2 stable slots each! Why cant they have more? My miner has a blue beatle and a portable forge beatle, why cant he have a couple of pink bunnies too???

Another solution would be to give ALL of my char's the max stable slots of my "best" char. Then...make pets "insta bond" between same account chars. In other words..anyboy that takes the time to make a Maxed out tamer gets 14 slots, so all other chars on that same acccount get 14 slots. Once a pet spends its alloted 7 day timer to BOND, I should then be able to give it to any other char on my SAME ACCOUNT and have it STAY BONDED. That would then give dedicated tamers 84 slots (6 chars x 14 slots per char) or (98 slots if they purchased the expansion package 7 chars x 14 slots). For those players that didnt want to make a "maxed out" tamer, and stopped when they had say 10 stable slots, they would then get 60 slots without, and 70 slots with expansion pack.

This soulution wouldnt take up any more server room then you have alloted anyway..as it is perfectly legal for me to have an account with 7 tamers on it.

Now mind you...I am NOT advocating that ANY of my chars should be able to command or control ANY of my pets. My miner that has NO taming ability should NOT be able to control or even use a CU or Dragon...but he should be able to STORE it for my tamer...why not?

G

I would just like someone from EA to tell us why we still have
limited stable slots...the 5 control slot I have no problem either.
And I understood the reasoning years ago due to server lag..etc.

But today, it just doesn't make sense and btw does anyone know
how we submit a FOF question, as I have definitely gone brain dead
on how to submit one.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still no response from a developer huh? No surprise. As the title says, this comes up frequently yet has never yielded an increase.

They just did a database optimization recently. Jeremy stated that should keep from having to purge old characters and stuff for the next ten years I think it was. It sounds like there's plenty of room for players to stable a couple more pets each.

I'd like to see the base stable slots for all players raised from two to four or maybe five.

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I cant bear to get rid of any of my old friends

[/ QUOTE ]

I think quite a few players feel this way. The whole out with the old, in with the new concept might be OK for a sword, but doesn't really go over well for pixel "pets".

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

/signed

I

imported_herc

<blockquote><hr>

*Bump*

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a room!

Count me in for more stable slots!

G

I sent this idea in to the link Jeremy posted in the Ideas thread,
on the off chance she or someone else might read it.
If this post ends up buried closer to Friday I will bring it up
for a "FOF" question.

G

I think the limit on Control Slots is to combat the tamer taking 40 dragons into a dungeon and basicly controling the entire dungeon or from a team of tamers with 40 dragons each mopping up in PvP.. It's just wrong..... but the reasoning behind stable slots.. thats a different matter..... didn't UO get more server space???? Hoping that since less folk are playing and more room we should be able to get more stable slots one would think..... I'd be happy with 3 extra slots per char.. so every char has at least 5.

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
agreed . having watched my old pets grow up like children i find it hard to part with any of them . yet uo keeps adding new pets to the game without ever offering more stable space to keep them .

i would seriously like to toy with some of the new pets , maybe train a pack of some of these pets with pack instinct... but i have no hope of doing so without sacrificing my old pets .

we should also consider the needs of non tamers as well.
many of them need the 2 slots just to work their trade leaving no room for "fun" pets.

our game has evolved alot since stable limits were introduced.

surely, the time has come for a few more slots .

please oh please
(you could make a bunch of players happy , and honestly , what would it hurt ?)

I

imported_herc

<blockquote><hr>

agreed . having watched my old pets grow up like children i find it hard to part with any of them . yet uo keeps adding new pets to the game without ever offering more stable space to keep them .

i would seriously like to toy with some of the new pets , maybe train a pack of some of these pets with pack instinct... but i have no hope of doing so without sacrificing my old pets .

[/ QUOTE ]

WW's used to be the best .. so I have a ton of them, well trained. I can't get a beetle or a cu cause I Don't have room and don't want to lose em.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Additional Stable Slots should be bundled with the 7th char and 25% extra house, bank storage slot token.

EA (UO) gets more money and players are happy

[/ QUOTE ]Why? Why, dear gods, would you suggest that?

I can see the "extra 5 control slots" token coming now. :/

Money grubbing *#$*(@#$*@#...

That said, I'm all for increasing stable slots, and I really don't use them and have no tamer of significance.

G

Awww Bummer...was hoping while I was at work..Jeremy, Draconi
or Leurocian would have posted a tidbit in here.

G

i am secretly (well not so secret now) hoping that they are all chatting about it around their table on how to make it work and then they will pop in here and say "YAY we will do it for you, we shall double the amount of pets you can get in the next patch."
Its ok to dream yeah.

G

Sign me up.

Not a tamer, but even I find myself out of stable slots! Someone gave me a squirrel a few days ago and I had to transfer it to a friend to stable it for me!

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has GOT to be a record... six pages and no negatives!

*gets down on her knees and applies her best "Puss in Boots" face*

Purdy pwease? A small thing to make a LOT of players happy! Would be a great way to finish off what's been a very good month of action from our team...

I

imported_sbom

A simple implementation would consist of replacing "stable slots" with "control slots equivalents".

Each player would be given 5 times the current number of "stable slots", but when stabling a pet, it would use as many of those as the number of "control slots" used by the pet.

For instance, if you currently have 14 stable slots (the maximum), you would get 70 "new stable slots". If you stable a horse, you have 69 left. If you stable a blue beetle, you're down to 66 (blue beetle uses 3 control slots). If you stable a "new dragon", you're down to 61 (5 control slots).

That way, stabling a pack of 5 frenzies would use the same stable space as a single new dragon and people who like to collect a bunch of "small pets" would get the freedom to do so without having to sacrifice ownership of "large pets".

G

<blockquote><hr>

*gets down on her knees and applies her best "Puss in Boots" face*

[/ QUOTE ]

-Skylark

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

...GIVE US FULL BOOKCASES FOR THE LOVE OF HOLY GOD, IVE ONLY BEEN ASKING FOR TEN YEARS!

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm... what if they came out with new bookcases you could put your pets in! *kills 2 birds with one stone*

Seriously folks... more stable slots = great idea. We pay for em we should have as many as we want. I wouldn't pay $19.95 for a stable slot upgrade token though. 30gp/day in-game is enough.

Safe Travels, Sam

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hmmmmm... what if they came out with new bookcases you could put your pets in! *kills 2 birds with one stone*

[/ QUOTE ]

Only when we get flame retardant paper

Wenchy

G

NO.

Yes, you chose tamer instead of say, mage. You got a big white pet bashing monsters for you. Just why should you have more of them?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might want to read the post again and maybe some of the thread too.

It's not asking for more control slots. It's about the base number of stable slots.

G

<blockquote><hr>

NO.

Yes, you chose tamer instead of say, mage. You got a big white pet bashing monsters for you. Just why should you have more of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is not asking for more followers, just more slots at the stables to hold all the pets we can get. My crafters would love to have another slot.

I

imported_revenant2

I want more stable slots!!!!!!!!

I had to get rid of 2 beloved pets so I could get a superdragon

I'm stacked 120's in the 3 skills that give you stable slots... you would think it's enough slots but you know? It's sorta not when theres all these different colors of cu sidhes out there.

And I never even got started on colored hiryus... heh. It would be wonderful to have some of them, but I've got no stable space for any such things.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

NO.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were doing so well. A post that everyone agreed on... except the person who didnt bother to read... Hrmph.

G

How about this:
None combat pets: Bunnies, chickens...
only take 1/2 a stable slot.
Why? They can't be used in combat [have to make them untrainable so they remain weak].
Unlike a dragon or CU.
The more powerful the animal, the more stable slots it should take up.

Or...
How about just allowing people to "buy" extra stable slots. 1 extra slot for a bunny, charge 10k gold. 5 extra slots for a more powerful 5 slot dragon, charge 500k for the 5 extra slots.

It could be looked as a gold sink, as well as a away for players to increase space.

I

imported_Stanton of Pac

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah, maybe I'm dumb for having a hell hound pack, but my stables are full, and there are still pets Id like to have. Pink bunnies for instance, just for fun. I'd also like to tame some giant rats or deers just to have something different to walk around with. You know, not to ruin stuff with, just for fun, and like as an actual "pet", rather than a weapon.

I know I will get the "you have to choose" response somewhere down the line, and I ask why? How does my having a larger selection of pets effect anything buy my own amusement?

Lets see what other common arguments against the idea are there... oh yes: "People just want everything, what will be next?!?!"
Silly argument, it effects nothing, causes no imbalances what so ever, and could hardly lead to a change that would actually effect game play.

As far as I know the ONLY reason they ever put a cap on the stable slots was that some people had 1000 pets and it caused massive lag. Lag is more or less a non issue at this point, so I dont see why we could keep more pets in the stables.

Hell charge me per day per pet if you want, I don't care. 100 gold per control slot beyond my normal limit if that helps! Something!

I know there are others with me, so speak up! Maybe one day it will happen!

Oh and while I'm pleading for random unimportant things GIVE US FULL BOOKCASES FOR THE LOVE OF HOLY GOD, IVE ONLY BEEN ASKING FOR TEN YEARS!

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh....

1. The program only checks when you say "Stable" to see if you are allowed to stable more pets. It doesn't dump "excess" pets from the stable.

2. Soulstones Are Your Friends.

3. Think about it.

Now, the real change I'd like to see with pets is a switch to decide if [bonded] pet(s) teleport with me. I have a stable at my house where I'd like to leave my pack horses while I'm changing clothes BUT I have teleporters between floors instead of stairs. It's also a drag having to stable pets before going on a dungeon run. I'd like to leave the [bonded] pet bunnies behind at my house instead of dragging them through Hythloth, please.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Sigh....

1. The program only checks when you say "Stable" to see if you are allowed to stable more pets. It doesn't dump "excess" pets from the stable.

3. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really sure I understand what you mean, but if you are proposing some complicated method of shuffling the taming skills around among multiple characters on an account via soulstones so each char is seen as a "tamer" at some point and thus winds up maxed on slots at any given time...Uvtha and a number of the rest of us play our tamers on Siege, so that is not an option. I suspect a lot of tamers on regular shards wouldn't want to go through that sort of headache either, even if they can. Also, as weird as it sounds, some people still have an RP feeling about their characters, and their is a main "theme" to each one's skills that never really varies that much.

Don't see why them giving us more slots from a by-design perspective, would be anything to object to, when you can go through elaborate headache workaround methods to get more.

-Skylark

G

I agree..it would probably be easier to rewrite the code that limited
stable slots than to create a whole new code with mind boggling
calculations that we already have to many of.

Tomorrow is "FOF" day...let's keep our fingers crossed that this makes
it on the list. What is puzzling though that with all the communications
this week so far, no one commented in this thread from EA.
Maybe they are waiting till tomorrow to surprise us
A belated Christmas gift or an early Anniversary one.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Sigh....

3. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can not transfer pets directly from one character on an account to another character on that same account. So, soulstones might be your “friend” if you have more than one account and can run both accounts simultaneously. Otherwise you are going to have to rely on a 3rd party to hold the pet as you shuffle if from one character to another.

The next problem is the soulstone time limit on shifting skills; with the new control calculations you are going to have to transfer both taming and animal lore to have the control required to have any significantly powerful pet transferred to the holding character. So, if you are wanting to transfer a dragon from one character to another, on the same account, that 3rd party pet-holder is going to have to hold that dragon for at least 24 hours while you get you taming and lore skill transferred over to another character unless, of course, you have multiple soulstones.

Finally, there is the fact that transferring a pet from one character to another beaks the bonding adding further delay to the process if you want to actually use the pet “safely“.

So, after thinking about it a bit, I would have to say that soulstones do not seem to provide a particularly friendly way work around the existing stable slot limitations.

I support the idea of increasing the number of "stabled" pets that a player can have. I also think that maybe there are some ways that a few pet related things could be made to work as harmless yet useful gold sinks.

First more stable slots; the cost to stable a pet has been 30gp for ages. Once upon a time pets were stabled on the stable master NPC rather than the player and that 30gp only kept the pet in room and board for a real life week. Now the pet is stabled on the player and that 30gp will keep your pet “stabled” forever. To get more available stable slots and provide a gold sink maybe they could let us stable more pets than normally allowed but at an increased cost based on the total number of pets stabled. So, for example it might cost a miner 100gp to stable an extra beetle in a 3rd slot but it might cost a 3xLegendary tamer 1000gp to store something in a 15th slot. So that system could allow for the extra stable slots people want but provide a small, ongoing yet harmless gold sink.

Another stable slot possibility that I prefer is the idea of a home stable master. Allow one to purchase a stable master that you can put in your house and “offload” pets from player storage to use house storage. The gold sink would be the cost of the home stable master and maybe a daily fee similar to a vendor.

The other pet related gold sink I have been thinking about might be a pet dyeing service by the NPC stable masters. While neon colored pets should probably not be supported, a reasonable range of new pet colors could be provided. The code to change a pet’s color already exists on test center so let an NPC stable master dye pets for a fee. Maybe 5k to dye a horse and 500k for a dragon (dragons typically object to being dyed so they cost a lot more
).

So there is the potential for two useful yet harmless gold sinks.

G

It's still Friday &amp; I haven't Seen the FOF as yet..... There is still hope they will answer this there. Here's hoping

I

imported_lady michelle

I agree non tamers need more stables slots thats for sure. But what I also would like to see is cages we could lock down in our houses to put our bunnies, chickens, squirrels or any little pet in. These cages could be grafted by a carpenter/tinker or have a npc vendor make them and charge 200k for them. The cages would take up 1 lock down, and the pet can take up 1 lock down once its in the cage. each cage will be able to hold up to 5 pets.Im not sure how others feel but I feel little animals like this should not take up stable slots. Plus it could be a good gold sink.

G

Well I can see this FOF was worth the wait to see.... /sarcasm I'm sorry but come on... Talsman Info

An obvious thread here that MANY MANY people have added their 2cents to on reasons why or why not. And neither you nor a developer has even put in at least a minor comment on this... And you wonder why customers/players leave the game, it because their concerns are not addressed or even commented on by people who can. Even an acknowledgment that you see our concerns would be mean a lot to many.

G

I just don't quite get the silence since they have been posting
in other threads all week.
But I did send in feedback and PM'd Jeremy and sent an email.
I just would like a yes, maybe or no with a little explanation.

So, I'm not giving up yet.

G

<blockquote><hr>

hey maybe if we keep it bumped till next friday hah

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever it takes to get some attention on this.

I don't think this community has had one topic everyone has actually been united on. We all may have some different opinions about this game, but when we all actually agree? That's something to jump on as a pretty solid way of getting a thumb's up from the community.

G

Seeing as there is no conceivable "down side" or imbalance possible with an upping of stable slots I would at least like to know why not.

I refuse to believe that a thread with this many posts has gone unread by SOME red shield. Even if its not Jeremy or Robert.

I guess all that can be done is to keep it bumped.

G

Do what us women do best
NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG

I

imported_herc

<blockquote><hr>

Do what us women do best
NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG NAG

[/ QUOTE ]

Honey, I thought you were in bed, not playing UO!

G

They have really been responsive the last few months, and much better at communication to the players. I am sure someone from the EA staff has seen the thread, or will see it eventually. Give them time. We can just treat this like the Threadzilla thread, to keep it fresh for future generations. If nothing else, we can implode Stratics when the thread reaches critical mass eventually.

-Skylark

G

Maybe some blokes too!! sheesh!!
*grabs her stuffy and goes back to bed*