• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Husband Store...AKA OT Babble Thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

<blockquote><hr>

This is worse.

The antler arches in Jackson Hole, WY are rumored to actually be from the now extinct prehistoric mammoth jackalope... so it is said!

[/ QUOTE ]
Something tells me that more than that antler pile is getting deep!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Something tells me that more than that antler pile is getting deep!

[/ QUOTE ]
*Pulls up her pant legs and grabs the shovel*

S

shard

Oh joy! I am awash with babble!!

About the whole school thing, I think this quote I ran across a while back sums it up best:
<blockquote><hr>

In fifty years we have gone from teaching Latin and French in public schools to teaching remedial English in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad but true.

On the home front, today I made the 24th batch of sun tea of this warm season. The deer moms and noobs are hanging out mostly at night so I don't see them much. The hummingbird dogfights around their feeders is entertaining. Not alot of blooming stuff around now so my feeders and Chinese lantern plant (I love that thing and want to try spreading it around) are their best sourse of food, I guess.

My daughter is coming for a visit, woo hoo! She lives in Oregon so we don't get to see her that much.

I pick my teeth with jackalope antlers.

OK OK, I graduated high school in '80.

Wine, whiskey, song and a Lady,
We are the Super Seniors Eighty!

U

UOFaerr

Shard, I hope you enjoy your visit with your daughter. Oregon is a far way away from where you are. My parents were far away from me and it really sucked around the holidays.

You know the weird thing is that I am not as occupied with looks vs aging as the health effects of aging. It SUCKS you know it. LOL

Infact, I spent an entire year thinking and telling everyone I was a year older than I am. So when I figured out my mistake it was sort of funny. I'm like wait a minute.. I'm not turning 39, I am turning 38?

The stupid girl at the tanning salon said "How long have you been lying?"

I'm just looking at her like "Uhm why would I lie and make myself OLDER than I am"? Instead I just kept my mouth shut, because I thought it wasn't worth it.

I do admit to sometimes lying and saying I am like 46 and then watching the woman's envy at my youthful skin and lack of grey hair. I still don't have what you would call grey hair. I lucked out in that department. *twitter* "My you don't LOOK 46, you must be pulling my leg!" "Why, yes I am."

This is sometimes what I say when someone says "You don't look old enough to have a teenager that is driving age."

The way I see it is after she proceeds from learners permit to an actual license, then that's when the trouble starts. I am certain to age over nite. Next thing you know I will be making sun tea, and chasing cottontails and jackalopes away from my lavendar bushes.. meow

U

UOFaerr

Well of you bunny fans should be able to sleep at night. LOL I officially retired from working with them. Well at least for now while I still have kiddos to chase around.

It really is a time committment I just can't make between part time work, the kids, my parents, and then returning to school. Bleh, I am tired just writing about all that is going to need to be done around here.

It really was a great experience to work with the animals and it was sooo hard to let the other volunteer know I would not be doing it any longer. *frown*

G

What a treat to be absent from the thread and come back to see you guys continuing with the babble and updates. You never fail to make me laugh with the quick humor. Thank you for making my day.

Last week, I went to the store to find a shaker cup. There were none to be found so I went to the baby section and found a sip cup. I didn't even realize, until yesterday, what the cup said and just felt that urge to share.

G

I can’t believe I had this argument with my son .. but here is a brief summary …

Today we started our summer lessons to get ready for the new grades and to make sure they are up to my standards and not the schools districts low standards (they dumb it down in this region so “no kid is left behind” what a crock .. ahh but that is another argument all together). Well anyways, two math pages a day, then they read a chapter from a chapter book (different books for each midget) and then they get to give me a report on the book (the oldest likes to write them the youngest tells me about them). And various other stuff. This week we are doing the basic stand by volcano for science (and boy are they jumpin outa their skin over it) and we are workin in some old school cobal programming and maybe some dos strings (I dunno yet).

Well anyways, my oldest is arguing with me over his math, he wants to finish the book instead of the two pages I told him to do. He has tried at least AT LEAST 5 different arguments for him to finish the whole math book. So we compromised, I am going to be printing out some math sheets from the schools website (5th grade math btw) for him to work on so he can have his math book for his lessons.

I can’t believe he is such a math geek…. LOL

U

UOFaerr

I sent you a pm about what you can do with him. I hope the info is useful!

haha

G

hehe I got it, will take a look at it in a bit like I said .. but I thought I would tell everyone else that he is 8 almost 9 doing 5th grade stuff .. REAL 5th grade stuff not the waffle they have the 5th graders in this area doing. I mean hell the 3rd grade stuff is stuff I had them both doing in kindergarten for cryin out loud!!!

Oh well ... but they have started grasping that math and reading are needed in ALL walks of life .. not just school .. cause I am adding cooking lessons to the summer lessons .. (they absolutely LOVE helping mommy cook) and I have been showing them that reading comprehension and math skills are needed for even mac and cheese ... they finally believe me .. LOL

H

Hater

just my .50 cents...awesome tips for things i can start doing on my toddlers level. and why is it mothers seem smarter at these things than fathers, you mothers can come up with some neat tricks :p. thanks

G

Pixie, we went through this with one of our 3 children. They all did well in school but we had that one who always needed to be challenged whether it was in math, reading or science. We were fortunate that our school had a program for children with higher learning abilities but there were so many things that I found to do around home too. It's surprising how much you can teach kids in the kitchen. If I was cooking, I had the kids give me the proper measurements when doubling a recipe (or halving it). We would make homemade playdough and they would play with the colors by mixing them to see what color they got. The kids loved being in the kitchen and even more than the learning that they did, they liked having "Mom" spend time with them teaching and not telling them to clean their room!

And Hater...Dads are just as good at teaching those little ones. You'd be surprised at how much you do during the day that your kids can join in on. The neat thing is that they're learning and don't even know it.

U

UOFaerr

Spend time with them. Take the child to the hardware store with you. I know it's easier to do that alone, but the child learns from being out with you too.

My biggest thing is read read READ and then read more. Try to read by example even if it's just a magazine. Kids pick up on that. Get some books that are not too boring to read like Dr Seuss classics or small board books and read every day. Make it a routine like after dinner while mom's cleaning the kitchen you can read or do baths then read. If you are gone all day your kid needs this time with you. Also, a child that age does not understand the sacrifice of 'work'. You leave, you disappear and come back tired. If mom always does everything then she becomes the figure of importance in when they need care. I think that if a father helps do some of these other child care tasks then the children grow to believe that daddy can take care of them too.

Hrmmm as for MAN stuff...

Helping you sort your tools or other things like the black screws from the gold ones, things like that help them learn categorizing things and they can do that at an early age. It also helps develop the muscles in the fingers and fine motor skills. Of course they may eat those screws, so you can't let them do that alone. ')

Also offer to share your servings of things with them. Get an apple and say "Want to share this apple with me? Let's cut it in half." Then have them wash the apple and dry it, then you cut it. (I know this seems weird but kids just thrive on this sort of mundane stuff.)

Be sure to have a real clock in the house. They don't have to learn it at an early age, but so many homes are entirely digital.

Plant some flowers together. Petunias and marigolds are very hardy, or put a shasta daisy bush in a pot and water them together every day. Your child will thrive on that routine and will start to ask you right when you get home to water the flowers. LOL All of my children absolutely loved this and it's very easy to maintain. It's also a great photo op watching a toddler scooping the dirt out of a bag into a pot and trying to be gentle with the flowers.
My son had to smell each one every morning.

Just remember the reading. Even at this age imagine just 5-10 minutes a day reading with you. Add that up by 3-4 yrs by the time they enter kindergarten imagine the results you can have with your child.

Also the most wonderful part of that is your child spent over 1000 hours getting your devoted attention. That is more imporant than anything.

H

Hater

thanks much for the time n tips n advice...awesome post btw
. no mother figure in the picture sometimes im left baffled as to what to do next to futher educate my child. And yes i have noticed within the last year that toddlers love to be "little helpers"
. Wanted to acknowledge the replies to my post and give a big thanks to both you ladies. Those things are something i will include in my daily activities with my child. well maybe not the house plant part :p.

G

Darlin when my kids were toddlers we had a blast making play doh, home made modeling clay (that is still fun (for me anyways)). We went on 'talking walks' we talked about everything we saw down to the itty bitty ant.

I Spy is a good game for you and your toddler, it helps them be aware of surroundings.

Let him (?) help you cook, clean (yes clean .. its a learning thing and teach's responsibility at a very very early age .. once my kids could walk 10 steps with out crashing, they started picking up there own toys.

Reading, never enough reading. Push it, make it a game, have fun with it. And read more then baby books. I read my kids the LotR series. I made sure all the voices were done "right" and the scary parts were read spookily. My kids absolutely LOVED it.

Also at his age, pretend is a GREAT learner. Take turns pretending to be an animal (or person or what ever) and have guessing games.

OOOOH flash cards, yes flash cards .. start now. Its never to early. NEVER.

OK will stop now ...

U

UOFaerr

Good tips Pixie.

I also like to say 'yellow banana' or 'red apple' etc... Sometimes people would look at me like I was insane but I figure why not.

We also like nature walks where you gather a bit of this and that then come home and glue it to construction paper. Then hang that on the fridge.

I agree with the cleaning suggestion.

Just be sure that once they clean with you that you lock your chemicals up because you never know if they decide to wake up early and bleach the hallway or put an entire can of comet cleanser on the bathroom floor. I'm NOT saying how I know this stuff. *cough* LOL Or even better, use your toothbrush to scrub the tub grout.. yummmmy.

H

Hater

Once again awesome tips ladies
...and pixie..it would be a HER :p. I always think if she was a boy then mudholes would be no problem lol. but this putting hair up n make up n playing tea party n house...wow totally different environment than what im used to but we've learned how to sip our tea, apply lipstick and that eye junk,(not on me!!! but her lol), plus how she likes to put pOUrfume on. i've also learned that its not just some "adult" chick thing when it comes to shoes n purses :/ .
Your tips were awesome, much appreciated

G

I order you to stop that right now!! get that gunk off the girl and toss her in a big old mud hole and teach her how to play right!!!

Gah.. I was SUCH a tom boy growing up... You teach her to be a bully RIGHT NOW!!!

HAHAHAHHAHA

*runs*

U

UOFaerr

I agree. LOTS OF MUD. How best for a girl to learn to live in a world full of men then to be raised by one that shows interest in her and let's her explore and do whatever a boy gets to do.

Just an FYI for you Hater, not all girls end up wanting bows or dresses. I have three girls and each one is different in that respect.

You don't have to worry about making her something she may not want to be. If she's a tomboy it isn't because you made her a tom boy. It's just who she is. It's acceptable for a girl to be a tomboy. Now I would tell you flat out certain that it isn't good to let a boy wear dresses.
LOL That might not go over well, or to name him Sue or Katy or some other girly name... But for a girl it really doesn't matter.

G

Faerr hit the nail on the head! When I was younger, 2 of my brothers would play house with me and when we were done, we'd go to the sand pile and play with the trucks. That Tonka bulldozer made some good roads for the haul trucks to drive on. *grin* When we lost interest in the toys, we made mud pies. Sometimes, we ended up wearing more mud than the toys but dang! it was fun. Maybe that's why as an adult, I take on projects that are considered male-oriented like sheetrocking, tiling, grouting, etc. I'm not afraid of physical labor and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. It's nice not having to wait for my husband to do improvements on the house. He's a busy man with his own business and it's my way of contributing to the household. I do know how to act like a lady if I HAVE TO *crosses eyes* but I will always be a tomboy at heart.

U

UOFaerr

Pffft.. I can do a lot of that stuff except I live with the horrible reality of the simple fact and logic behind that if I start to do all that stuff then I am doomed to always doing that stuff. He will get too comfy with the knowledge that his wife is content to do those things.

Don't get me wrong, I help out with a lot of manly type duties but some of it is just ridiculous if you let them they will let you do it ALL OF THE TIME.

Changing out the toilet seat. I just refused to do it. It was just ONE OF THOSE THINGS okay? So finally I just decided to stop waiting and complaining, I would pay myself for doing it. So the job ended up costing my husband the price of the new toilet seat plus a trip to the mall.
LOL

G

Very true Faerr but I'd rather do them myself since my husband and I come from different philosophies. He's comfortable with "good enough" and I'm not. I just finished retexturing bedroom walls after his philosophy showed on the walls for too many years.

U

UOFaerr

Texturing a wall is a totally different animal than having to actually hang and tape that wall. rawr muahahahaha

I can so relate to the 'good enough' statement. I think that's probably one of the biggest sources of discord in our home. LOL If living like that is 'good enough' then you know he should have not bought this big old house to take care of. rawr

As for that toilet seat, he had taped it with electrical tape so it would not pinch when you sat on it. I just don't get that. He's not a redneck so where the heck did that come from? Makes want to hide the WD from him. Don't wanna know where he'd try to put that stuff. haha

Oh I have to edit to add that unbelievably he was shocked that I was not impressed with his ingenius use of electrical tape and just glared and asked why it hadn't been fixed yet!! Men!

S

shard

Faerr!! Gimmee my duct tape back!!

If it moves and it isn't supposed to, use the duct tape. If it is supposed to move and it doesn't, use the WD-40.

Howdy fellow Baja Babblers! Miss me? My daughter has come from Oregon for a visit. We've spent a ton of time up at my parents' place. Visiting and eating lots of peas, corn, fried okra, cornbread.... Hehe, my Momma's cooking is teh bomb!

Along the lines of ya'lls talk about girls and tomboys, well, my daughter (24 yrs old) is half girlie girl and half tomboy. She likes to hunt and fish. She doesn't mind helping out with chores and getting her hands dirty. But she also cleans up good and looks pretty when she wants too.

She just landed her first real job after getting her college degree. I am so proud of her!

Hrmmm, I've been gone and I need to go maw the yard.....

U

UOFaerr

No, you cannot have it back. I want you to get a book and learn how to fix something properly without jimmying it so it lasts another 3 months and then someone REALLY GETS HURT when it breaks again.

So there. It's for your own good you redneck. I am trying to keep you from hurting yourself!

On the topic of rednecks... we saw Ron White's show this past weekend and I am glad to say there was not one duct tape joke. Come to think of it I don't think I have ever heard him tell one. LOL It was about 95% new material which was pretty neat. The guy opening up for him was hilarious, but his name was spoken so quickly I couldn't understand it.

Congratulations to your girl on her new job.

G

What a hoot! Those outfits had to be sweaty. Though I'm sure they used lining (if not, they were in for it big time), I can't imagine wearing something that doesn't allow your body to breathe while in a gymnasium filled with sweating teenage bodies. *shiver*

Sara, I didn't realize that it was 5 hours between our 2 towns. But what a beautiful drive you'd have.
Just watch out for the jackalope.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Sara, I didn't realize that it was 5 hours between our 2 towns. But what a beautiful drive you'd have.
Just watch out for the jackalope.

[/ QUOTE ]

The distance is less than 200 miles, however, given the jackalope crossings, and the twisting, winding, hairpin curves on skinny 2-lane Hwy 16 up over the mountains, I have a tendency to not drive at a high rate of fossil fuel consumption.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Have duct tape... will travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl!
* packs duct tape into trunk of car *

G

The contents of McGyver's survival kit:
<ul>[*]A pack of Juicy Fruit gum.
[*]A spool of baling wire.
[*]A roll of duct tape.[/list]

G

I liked McGuyver. You never knew when you'd actually learn something that could come in handy later on. Though it wasn't McGuyver, I remember half listening to a show years ago where they were talking about quick car repairs if you were in a tough spot. Not long after that, I was on my way to Denver and the alternator belt broke. If anyone drove the roads in WY back then, you'd remember that you could sit for a long time with no other traffic. Anyway, that show flashed into my head and so I grabbed up a pair of pantyhose that I had in my suitcase, cut one leg off of them and tied it on the alternator so I could limp into a town that was still quite a distance. When I got to the mechanic shop, they laughed at first but I didn't care since it got me there! Just call me Mrs. McGuyver. *grabs up her gum, wire and tape and goes to build a time travel machine*

U

UOFaerr

Hilarious story Mama.
One time we were about 20 miles outside of Phoenix on a desolate desert highway. We ended up using the dog's collar for a belt for something.

I can't remember what broke, I was only a wee kid but I can remember them taking the collar off the dog and the car starting. LOL

S

shard

Greetings from Roxie's Momma's house! Roxie's Mustang made the 1000+ mile trip in fine fashion. No duct tape, pantyhose or dog collar fixes required!

The heat here in Virginia isn't quite as bad as the heat back in Arkansas, but it's hot enough. So, Baja Babblers, how's the heat in your neck f the woods?

G

Temperature here is 89° (fahrenheit), humidity 25% (according to the experts it feels like 86°). My own translation .. it's darned niced!

Glad you made the trip without having to resort to duct tape, pantyhose or dog collars!

S

shard

Hee hee hee. Faerr, Roxie and I heard about that on John Boy and Billy's Stupid Crook News while driving.

G

*LOL* I saw the pic of that 'would be robber' and wondered how good that felt to have the duct tape ripped off his face. Serves the doughhead right!

As far as the temps in the Razor City? We're still in the low 90's but thankfully, it's to cool off next week so I can get outside and scrape trim and repaint everything. We've had about a month of 90's and 100's with little reprieve so the 80's sound delightful.

U

UOFaerr

Did you guys watch the video or just read the article? The video is a must see.

"Do I look like uh duct tape bandit, baby? I'm not no duct tape bandit!"

G

I read the article and watched the video. This afternoon, the article had a bigger picture of the thug and that's what made me comment on pulling all that tape from his face. Forget about waxing; just use duct tape to get rid of that unwanted hair! *wince*

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'll take my AZ dry heat over hot and humid anyday!!!! Although the monsoon has been rearing it's ugly head again. At least it doesn't last to long.

[/ QUOTE ]ROFL'ing!!!

The last time I was in Phoenix, it was 116... in the pouring rain.

Most of the time AZ is hot &amp; dry... I love it. But the monsoon season in AZ makes anything on the east coast and southeast states... look like a cakewalk.

U

UOFaerr

Let's see, I have done both dry and hot and humid and hot.

In Phoenix, it could be 118 degrees, and yes guess what it still feels like 118 degrees!

I have spent summers in Phoenix where the night time temp barely falls below 85-90 degrees which is just GROSS okay? Imagine weeks and weeks running into months where it never gets below that and is hot as hell during the day. When it rains, the ground just smells like puke and like it was half washed off. At least here you get cooler days along with the hotter days. Phoenix is consistently hot as hell.

I do have to say that if there is a breeze going then this part of Texas isn't that bad at all. It's when the air is still and thick and your sweat doesn't evaporate is when it get's gross.

All things such as how you feel wether it's hot or dry 118 degrees is deadly as hell.

Oh yeah I can remember how when you walk out the door in Phoenix and your skin shrinks onto your face! bahahaah It's like when you take a roast out of the oven and you get blasted with heat and your skin feels tight.. That happens every time you go in and out of an a/c building. haha

I miss it a lot but could never go back to live there because it's been invaded by Californians willing to pay too much for their homes. The market has gone nuts and it's not affordable to live there any longer. My home I lived in doubled in value over a crazy 2 year market boom. Truth to the statement you can never go back! (Unless you get a cash windfall rawr)

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

But the monsoon season in AZ makes anything on the east coast and southeast states... look like a cakewalk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted cause it's true!!!

As for the housing to UO Faerr, well that bubble is bursting but yeah the prices did skyrocket and fast.

U

UOFaerr

It's going to burst and it's going to burst badly. I am shocked at how quickly the houses went up. I am even more disgusted at the irresponsibility of the lenders that processed all these interest only loans which only served to push the home prices higher and faster. This also encouraged people that could not afford a home to spend more than they should.

Now the loans are maturing people can't pay them. It's going to burst big time. But I do not believe that the prices will once again ever be as affordable as they once were when compared to the cost of living vs income in the Valley of the Sun.

S

shard

You are saying WD-40 and/or duct tape won't fix this problem?

That's unpossible!!!

S

shard

*chuckles* I'm so funnay!

Roxie and her sister, Pegs, are getting dressed to go to a get-together. Pegs comments that she thinks she needs a safety pin to keep her top together right in the most interesting area. I comment:

"Sounds like a booby trap to me!"

G

<blockquote><hr>

"Sounds like a booby trap to me!"

[/ QUOTE ]
*ROFL* And that's what bras are too! That's why men don't get a lot of sympathy from their wives when they complain about having to wear a tie once every 20 years or so. We have to put up with confinement every day.

G

<blockquote><hr>

And that's what bras are too!

[/ QUOTE ]Over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.