• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Bans are happening in droves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Until I see a post from "Cal", or some other UO representative giving #s of bannings/jailings/warnings I'm not believing this is going on. Players have been known to post BS before just to stir up controversy. Without the names of the players/guilds involved, we can't verify. And to supply them would be against the terms.

So, Cal, or anyone at UO - give us some #s of your actions. Just the data. No names.

How many scripters were banned on server x?
How many jailed?
How many suspended?

You claim you're taking action? Prove it, let's see the #'s from your spreadsheet
They specifically said they wouldn't....

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like some posts were removed or I may be wrong and looked over them. A couple of posters said they were banned. They knew of others also.

L

Lord Velner

LOL! Looks like they were wrong!
Yes, but that does not make the expectation any less reasonable.

And, if they thought that the use of a third party program for, lets say macro a skill afk, was acceptable based on common practice, why would they do it, almost always, hidden in their house rather than in a public area?
You have no real basis for this assertion, as people afk in Luna on Atlantic frequently enough. In addition, this does not alter the fact that EA/Mythic has not been enforcing their policy against macroing for years.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ban them all asap. No over time, no waiting. Then I can laugh harder when they all start crying. That excuse, "UO will go under if they ban all the cheaters" is older then dirt and holds as much water as my coffee filters. Ive played since it went public in 97 on my account and 99% of all my friends quit cause of cheaters. If UO gets back even 5% of all those that quit due to inaction against cheaters they'll have gained more players then they ban.(Thats assuming those banned dont come right back like they always do)

FACT : Most gamers do not want to nor will they play with cheaters. Thats one of the main
reasons another popular game has over 10mil subs.

ReaperNI, your full of it. Most hardcore PvPers cheat like fiends then argue, "We're just keeping up with everyone else. How can u compete when your not using XprogramX and they are." Ive had this EXACT same conversation with most pvp Guild Masters (including Paps your GM). He and I sat outside Travesty one night talking for over an hour. Several of the Atlantic SL players (GMs of their own guilds) Ive known for yrs and gotten into vent fights with because they told me I was an idiot for not running art mods and speeders. "Look man, youd be SUCH a better player if u just let me send u these files ! Your being an idiot about it, EVERYONE uses them !" Many players on ATL know me and know how I feel on this subject.

NB-Cats, you comming back to UO would be a shame. The game is a better place without you and most everyone that knows what you did while you were here would agree. That said will probably incite you enough to reactive one of ur accounts (or log into one of the many accounts you purchase and resell) and with alil luck you'll b banned once again. (Next is where you lie and say you've never been banned, lol)

Most pvpers are hardcore UO players and to say that if the banstick hits them they wont just buy another account and be back in a week or two is stupid. Ive seen this time and time again over 13yrs. "You cant stop me from cheating because I'll just learn from my last ban and come back cheating smarter ! ", seems to be the train of thought. What happens is they come on boards to post multi-times using different names hoping the squeeky wheel gets all the attention. Again, cry me a river.

IF this is true, and I'm still alil reluctant to believe it due to UO's track record and my respect for several of the posters who claim it is, then this is LONG LONG LONG over due and I give Cal a STANDING OVATION with AIRHORNS in both hands. Just please dont waffle on these bans and keep them comming. When someone can outrun you while they're on foot and your mounted with a 30ping, something is gravely wrong with this game.

If this is true, I thank ALL the DEVS and Everyone that is making this happen. If I broke any rules in my posting, Im sorry but I rarely ever come to boards as you can tell (11posts total in over 4 yrs). Id rather be ingame playing then reading a board. A friend just told me there was a thread that I may find interesting or I'd have never known.

Let the cheaters commence the bashings ! (Its fine really, since I probably wont even come back to see it. Unless some friends tell me a Dev posted there isnt really anything more to see)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now I was told in icq last night though it was 6 or 7 people if I understood the count correctly last night had quit one shard ( I wont mention the shard to add drama and I did play more then 2 shards as some think) just because of this topic. The person who told me I would trust with my accounts so I truly believe this person. So there may be various reasons why these players quit but im just relaying what I was told.

W

woody_cats

Let me see if I got this right so far 4 poeple have been banned in the last lets say since thur . everyone is reacting in a big way . everyone thinks it is right that ea does something not all however thing a perm bann is the right course of action. no response from any developer. Cal is however getting credit for it being the new program and that there are a lot of banns. personnelly i think this is a case where 2 groups got caught in the normal course of action. i am sure that in a normal month 10 accts being banned is normal so hearing of 4 does not prove a mass banning. We will not hear anything on this because it really had nothing to do with the new program . since everyone was sort of saying it is a no show the fact that this might be it might deter cheating a little.it also looks goods .

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. What about the players that use search engine websites that detail vendor holdings? Are they cheaters as well?
This is a good one, and I would be a hypocrite if I said I never used one of those search engine websites. I think it is a shame that UO does not have a functionality that allows you to search vendors, or something similar to an auction house WoW style....but it is currently being deployed by an illegal third party program. Therefore, it should be remove, thus removing the ability for players to use the sites.

Are players cheaters for using it? No. Reason being.....it is not a third party application being used in conjunction with the UO client. It is a resource, similar to UO Guide or UO Stratics. In this case, however, the data is being pulled by an illegal means. Unfortuantely, the functionality will cease to exist if the ban hammer comes down on people that rely on illegal applications to do the work.

I had this discussion with someone last night....I ultimately think that this can only hurt the Luna vendors a bit, because now people will have to LOOK for items within the game instead of checking out a website. On the other hand, it may make Luna vending that much more lucrative as it was before. But then again, this may help the random vendor houses outside of Luna that do not see as much traffic.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nothing about speed hacking or scripting you notice ... how did they relieve some scripting resource gathering ? ... by varying the ore/wood locations, not doing a damn thing about scripter's/speed hacking. It will never be fixed.
ore wood locations just made scrpiters script more. Or add a second account too keep up on production.

G

Going Going Gone

If bannings really are happening in the masses, they should be banning for the use of unapproved 3rd party programs.
That seems to be EXACTLY what they are doing, "banning for the use of unapproved 3rd party programs"

While unattended macroing is illegal (even without a 3rd party app) it is not detectable unless a GM verifies it.
I would not worry if I was you, they will not ban the players they don't have solid proof against.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a good one, and I would be a hypocrite if I said I never used one of those search engine websites. I think it is a shame that UO does not have a functionality that allows you to search vendors, or something similar to an auction house WoW style....but it is currently being deployed by an illegal third party program. Therefore, it should be remove, thus removing the ability for players to use the sites.

Are players cheaters for using it? No. Reason being.....it is not a third party application being used in conjunction with the UO client. It is a resource, similar to UO Guide or UO Stratics. In this case, however, the data is being pulled by an illegal means. Unfortuantely, the functionality will cease to exist if the ban hammer comes down on people that rely on illegal applications to do the work.

I had this discussion with someone last night....I ultimately think that this can only hurt the Luna vendors a bit, because now people will have to LOOK for items within the game instead of checking out a website. On the other hand, it may make Luna vending that much more lucrative as it was before. But then again, this may help the random vendor houses outside of Luna that do not see as much traffic.
This is so hypocritical. By just going to any broker or using any search site you're cheating. You're deliberately and knowingly buying scripted for goods or goods funded by scripts and dupes. By searching you're making use of scripts.

N

Nastia Cross

I would not worry if I was you, they will not ban the players they don't have solid proof against.
You are wrong. I happen to know someone who submitted a dupe to EA and was summarily banned from the game. Also, the last rash wave of bannings EA admitted to banning innocent players.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yep they assume that if you accidently dupe an item. You're a duper thus deserve to be banned even if the only result of your accidental dupe was for you to report it.

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is so hypocritical. By just going to any broker or using any search site you're cheating. You're deliberately and knowingly buying scripted for goods or goods funded by scripts and dupes. By searching you're making use of scripts.
I believe one of the first things I said was:

"This is a good one, and I would be a hypocrite if I said I never used one of those search engine websites."

And to be honest, I don't think most of the population understands the same concept that the whole mechanism of the UO search websites are based off of a evil chain around scripts.

As I said before, is it cheating for a player who use the site? The answer is still NO. You are not manipulating the client, just viewing the data that was provided my illegal means.

So I suppose if you have the knowledge of how to duplicate an item, but do not use it to your advantage, does that make you a cheater? No. You have an understanding of a mechanic, but do not use it to take advantage.

Search websites are the same.

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yep they assume that if you accidently dupe an item. You're a duper thus deserve to be banned even if the only result of your accidental dupe was for you to report it.
But, say you never have duplicated an item, BUT, you have the knowledge on how to duplicate an item....does that make you a cheater?

Nope.

As I said in my previous reply.....the search engine websites are the philosophy.

Also, I don't think a lot of players that use them (say from in game and being told by other players) know that they are powered by scripters.

T

Talula

How could anyone using those sites NOT be aware that they're made through use of a script?

Y

Yalp

Whether it's a Stratics Mod able to cast through walls of stone or cast while running, a Rares collector using the looting script to get event rares off public corpses, pvp'rs with speeder on, um'ing, resource gathering scripters, or any other such... if you want to keep playing UO, then stop cheating on your own. If you can't or won't do such, I hope the ban hammer comes down swiftly.

No, UO won't die because you're gone. No, pvp won't die because you're gone. No, we won't miss you.

G

Going Going Gone

Well, what I understand from the guys trying to say that whoever used the website that lets you check vendors are cheaters as much as scripters, speedhackers, etc. and that if they don't ban the visitors of the search engine, it is unfair that they get banned as well.

In short, they are trying to pull the: hey, can't ban us without banning them and you can't ban them and stay profitable.

Funny enough, I know some posters here trying to defend that point of view while having accounts with gazillion of gold/thousands of dollars worth.

I guess they don't feel safe.:gun:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few people got banned, WOW. Just less people on the servers which at this point most are ghost towns. 80% of people use a program to play (training,farming, ect). Ban them and UO has less people-shards are shut down (which could be a good thing). Less revenue means the posability of EA saying enough is enough and UO IS SHUTDOWN. After enough people have got banned the DEVS should get the resume up to date. EA will give the DEVS the last ban and grant them access to the unemployment line. We all answer to someone :popcorn:

My play style has not changed nor will it and if I am banned, I had a great 13 years. No hard feelings :thumbup1:

N

Nastia Cross

As I said before, is it cheating for a player who use the site? The answer is still NO. You are not manipulating the client, just viewing the data that was provided my illegal means.
Any court of law would disagree with you. Whether you knew that the data was obtained through illegal means is irrelevant, you are still benefiting from the data.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing is that Omnius stated was not all read stratics. So lets say that is true or mostly true. They dont care about blah blah blah but if its about a gimp template or an edge in the game, that may be the only time they come to read statics. So they dont truly read on cheat detection because this has been said many times before and not much was done.

Ok past all that they dont post. Most mining scripters will not post on here because they dont interact in the game. They sell their wares in the game for gold or to sites that buy them. Oh there are a few that posted they are openly UM and they havent been busted. Stupid imo to brag about it but ok. So we dont truly know how many bannings have happened.

I know quite a few players that quit playing when they first mentioned about the first stage of testing the cheat detetcion program this time. Their accounts are still active but they dont play.

Now WE all and yes Im including WE have been in guilds or allied with a player or players we knew was cheating in one way or another. They tell in vent or icq like some here brag about it on stratics. Word does get out because nothing is a secret. Did we say anything or quit the guild? Maybe some did but the majority turned their head the other way and kept silent. I have seen a couple of posts on here that these same persons has been tied to the same people I was at one time or another. Hence I hate posts being hypocritical when they knew as I did. As long as it wasnt hurting US at the time it was no big issue.

Maybe silently we did/do care about the cheating but when it came to what we was doing in the game BUT we kept silent about it in fear of losing the edge as a whole. Eye candy and e-egos can be a dangerous mix to turn the best of a good player. I been on the bottom middel and top in UO at differnt times so I been there in all stages of this game. I kept working at it to get to the top to hold my own. I die as well as I kill and at least I can hold some integrity that I did it without illegal external help on my behalf.

So yes maybe Im just as guilty particpating with others that did cheat that I did know of. Some I suspected and cant point aguilty finger but others basically told they did. I know I didnt cheat but I did reap some of the rewards from both pvm and pvp with partipcating these players.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Macroing is legal What is not legal is using 3rd party programs, and unattended afk macroing to do it.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few people got banned, WOW. Just less people on the servers which at this point most are ghost towns. 80% of people use a program to play (training,farming, ect). Ban them and UO has less people-shards are shut down (which could be a good thing). Less revenue means the posability of EA saying enough is enough and UO IS SHUTDOWN. After enough people have got banned the DEVS should get the resume up to date. EA will give the DEVS the last ban and grant them access to the unemployment line. We all answer to someone :popcorn:

My play style has not changed nor will it and if I am banned, I had a great 13 years. No hard feelings :thumbup1:
As I stated in another post go to uo.com. Check the guild section and go through the shards and see the numbers of the top 10 guilds. Most shards are hurting very badly way before these supposedly bannings. I know guilds dont speak for the whole population versus solo players with their own guilds. I know one thing some top 10 guilds were in single digits on some shards.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are wrong. I happen to know someone who submitted a dupe to EA and was summarily banned from the game. Also, the last rash wave of bannings EA admitted to banning innocent players.
that reminds me of a weird situation i had once. I bought a slither and was having problems keeping it insured. I paged a gm and said, i have this slither, and i think theres something wrong with it, maybe its duped?

The gm showed up fast as hell, took the item out of my pack, told me it indeed was a dupe, i then "saw" (he was invised) him ravage through my house looking for duped items, saw my teleporters being used to go through the house and items moving through chests. He then asked who i purchased it from, i gave him the name, and then he gave me a 24hour ban lol.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatevers.

I'm sick of people thinking that if all the cheaters are gone, all of a sudden they can PvP again.

Fact of the matter is, if you quit PvPing because people were using cheats, you were never good enough to hold your own and PvP in the first place.

Don't make excuses for yourself.
+11111111111111111111111111111111111

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whether it's a Stratics Mod able to cast through walls of stone or cast while running, a Rares collector using the looting script to get event rares off public corpses, pvp'rs with speeder on, um'ing, resource gathering scripters, or any other such... if you want to keep playing UO, then stop cheating on your own. If you can't or won't do such, I hope the ban hammer comes down swiftly.

No, UO won't die because you're gone. No, pvp won't die because you're gone. No, we won't miss you.

Just wanted to add to the list IDOC house placement scripters.......

Cheating has ruined the game play of so many players and deterred players away from Ultima Online over the years and perhaps it is time to see (finally) the other side of the coin, a cheat-free Ultima Online.

I just hope that as many as possible of those players who left UO because of the rampant cheating will get to know that if they decide to come back they can finally enjoy playing a cheat-free Ultima Online.

I wonder how could this old UO players be reached.....
Perhaps, if their old accounts' e-mails are still known to the accounts department they can send out e-mails to all closed accounts (I guess not the banned accounts....) telling them of the great news ??

Just a thought.......

ohmyGED

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any court of law would disagree with you. Whether you knew that the data was obtained through illegal means is irrelevant, you are still benefiting from the data.
Hope you are not a lawyer.

Notice that I said "viewing" data, not "benefiting"

There is a major difference. And the data itself is in fact public, and viewable. Nothing that is confidential. Just because something is obtained with what is consider illegal does not make it illegal to view if there are no stipulations. EVEN if the person benefits from it.

If someone stole public information from a company, and posted it online for all to see, would someone viewing that information be charged with a crime? No. Because nothing that was illegal occured. Could this person benefit from it? Maybe.

Ironically, that's exactly what is being done with third party search engines:

1. Taking public data in an illegal manner
2. Providing it for members to view

The person who is doing the taking should be at fault, not the member viewing it.

I win.

NB-Cats

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, what I understand from the guys trying to say that whoever used the website that lets you check vendors are cheaters as much as scripters, speedhackers, etc. and that if they don't ban the visitors of the search engine, it is unfair that they get banned as well.

In short, they are trying to pull the: hey, can't ban us without banning them and you can't ban them and stay profitable.

Funny enough, I know some posters here trying to defend that point of view while having accounts with gazillion of gold/thousands of dollars worth.

I guess they don't feel safe.:gun:
That's not it at all...

The point is that tons of player cheat (not just PvPers) and the best way to deal with those cheaters is to either:

1) give them proof that EA knows what they're up to in the form of an email or give them a temporary suspension.

or

2) stop the 3rd party apps from working.

I'm all in for removing speedhacks and scripting but there's a smart way to go about it and then there's what they're doing.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder how could this old UO players be reached.....
Perhaps, if their old accounts' e-mails are still known to the accounts department they can send out e-mails to all closed accounts (I guess not the banned accounts....) telling them of the great news ??

Just a thought.......
I am *almost* sure I heard someone bring this up at the town hall and Cal answered 'all in good time'. He answered very quickly and quietly and I wasn't quite sure I'd heard right, I was only watching the streaming. No one who was actually present seemed to pick up on it, so I could have misheard.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Macroing is legal What is not legal is using 3rd party programs, and unattended afk macroing to do it.

What is not much clear to me, is whether "attended" macroing using a 3rd party not approved utility, to script attended, is allowed. Or whether it is not allowed even if attended because it involves a not approved 3rd party utility.

One of the posts I read in this thread, mentioned a GameMaster saying that as long as the macroing was attended it was fine, but it did not mention whether the involvement of a not approved 3rd party made it not fine even if attended.

Personally, I would say that ANY macroing (i.e. scripting...), even if attended, was to be considered illegal when through the use of not approved 3rd party utilities.

Otherwise, we would have PvP scripts be usable just fine as well as all of the resource gathering/BODs/Library collectibles/stealables/House placement scripts be fine for use if attended and yet, they do hurt and pretty much those other players not using them.

But I am not sure how Game Masters have been instructed to deal with this.

It would be nice to have some reliable info on the topic.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Allow me to clarify. With the exception of the very new 'uo cartographer' which Cal has said is ok, this page applies.
ANSWER

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
theres no sub for natural pvp talent..you can place a bad player using these so called cheats vs a good player using his/her natural talents, he wins 10 outta 10. imo this thread is complete SMOKE.. all bull,all boring. I think this is just another attempt for lil tram players to bash the pvpers,i have a awesome idea..how about you tram players stick to your plant growing and dungeon exploring,and let us pvpers stick to what we do. and popps you've posted 20x more than anyone on this thread..stop trying to up your post count..DELETE THIS THREAD FFS.

G

Going Going Gone

Blah blah blah.... and the best way to deal with those cheaters is to either:

blah blah blah.
I will trust EA's management team to decide which is "the best way to deal with those cheaters" rather than you.

I am not absolutely convinced of your neutrality in this debate, Mr SX!

lol

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The devs have stated in the past that its illegal to use and that its cheating, so yes it is.

G

Going Going Gone

theres no sub for natural pvp talent..you can place a bad player using these so called cheats vs a good player using his/her natural talents, he wins 10 outta 10. imo this thread is complete SMOKE.. all bull,all boring. I think this is just another attempt for lil tram players to bash the pvpers,i have a awesome idea..how about you tram players stick to your plant growing and dungeon exploring,and let us pvpers stick to what we do. and popps you've posted 20x more than anyone on this thread..stop trying to up your post count..DELETE THIS THREAD FFS.
Not the first time I read this argument. What does the banning of cheaters has anything to do with talent in PVP.

For a very long time, ethugs have been running their cheat full speed and telling us that anyway, it wouldn't change anything if they didn't use it, because they are just that good; or that anyway, that illegal program does not give "such a big" advantage.

WHY WOULD YOU USE IT THEN????

Fact is good player, bad player, pvper, pvmer, role player; if you used a program deemed illegal by the RoC that you signed when you joined UO, you are most likely going to see your account banned.

It's not this thread that is going to be deleted, it's the account of the players that have been greifing the whole UO community for years.

As mentionned earlier: good *BEEP* riddance! Unlike what the cheating players pretend, taking care of cheating is not going to bring UO on it's knees, I am 100% that it's going to give it the boost it needed to make an other 13 years!

HA!

N

Nastia Cross

Hope you are not a lawyer.

Notice that I said "viewing" data, not "benefiting"

There is a major difference. And the data itself is in fact public, and viewable. Nothing that is confidential. Just because something is obtained with what is consider illegal does not make it illegal to view if there are no stipulations. EVEN if the person benefits from it.

If someone stole public information from a company, and posted it online for all to see, would someone viewing that information be charged with a crime? No. Because nothing that was illegal occured. Could this person benefit from it? Maybe.

Ironically, that's exactly what is being done with third party search engines:

1. Taking public data in an illegal manner
2. Providing it for members to view

The person who is doing the taking should be at fault, not the member viewing it.

I win.
*laughs* I actually work for one of the oldest and largest law firms in the country so I'm around lawyers all day and know how they think. I read documents pertaining to issues like this frequently and am also made to sign a non-disclosure agreement yearly. Let's break it down:

stealing "public" information from a company: if said information is copyrighted, reposting this information without permission or consent is illegal;

"viewing data": players who are viewing said search sites are not doing it for their amusement, they are looking for an item to purchase, hence they are benefiting from the illegally obtained data regardless of whether they find the item they are looking for or not, as they are saving themselves the time it takes to search for the item in question.

Section 5c of the TOS:
(i) the Software and the Service permit access to Content that is protected by copyrights, trademarks, and other proprietary rights owned by Electronic Arts or Content Providers (collectively, "Rights"), and (ii) these Rights are valid and protected in all media existing now or later developed, and (iii) except as is explicitly provided otherwise, your use of Content shall be governed by the copyright laws of the United States and other applicable laws. You agree that you may upload or otherwise transmit on or through the Service only Content that is not subject to any Rights, or Content in which any holder of Rights has given express authorization for distribution on the Service.
Section 5d of the TOS:
(d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by Electronic Arts for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. Electronic Arts does not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means. You further agree not to create or provide any other means through which Ultima Online may be played by others - for example, through server emulators. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, including any proprietary communications protocol used by the Software. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Ultima Online unless specifically authorized in writing by Electronic Arts.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think everyone has seemsto forget the "mass bannings" of 2 or 3 years ago...

Back then there was the build up of pressure from players over scripting and duping and eventually EA rattled its Sabres and boldly announced in a big fanfare that it had 'Banned X number of accounts' and 'removed xx billion gold from the game' etc etc. EA made quite a song and dance about it.

The stratics reaction was a lot of whooping and hollaring and high fives all round amid cries of 'about time!' and 'way to go!'.

However it soon became apparent that EA were just pulling a PR stunt. Sure they DID actually ban some players (probably the most prolific scripters and dupers) and remove billions of ill gotten gold from the economy but it was all short lived and barely made a dent in the problem.

It was all quicky forgotten and once again the scripters and dupers continued unchecked over the years .... and here we are again.

I cant help feeling that the current round of bannings is just another of EA's "Hey! Look at us! we do really care about the cheats and were banning them" only to be quickly forgotten as cheating slowly returns to its previous levels.

Im not convinced at all that this isnt just another once every few years EA PR stunt...

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think everyone has seemsto forget the "mass bannings" of 2 or 3 years ago...
I thought the bannings a few years back were bans for duping, no? Wasn't it trillions in gold that they deleted? Billions or trillions, either way it was an awful lot of gold!

Am I mixing two different banning situations together? Someone refresh my memory, please.

BlissMarie

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, you're not the only one waiting to see what happens after this initial action Craftsman, we haven't all forgotten the previous bans ;) I want to believe this is the start of a long term program, but we'll have to see results over a longer period too.

Wenchy

Jove

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I've got to say its about time!!!! We've been putting up with this for years and all its bred is more bad behavior. Alot of good players have left the game because of this and we got stuck with the arrogant ones who keep causing problems. Complaining that you didn't know about it is just another excuse to try and justify what you've been doing all along and what you know has been wrong. Posting a mega tissues for the cry babies and wish them a not so fond farewell because I'm sure that you won't want to be in a game where your scripts are no longer tolerated and you'll just be like every other average UO player. Which means your going to get your butt kicks.... I can't help but lmao at this.....

Lt.Snuggles

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not the first time I read this argument. What does the banning of cheaters has anything to do with talent in PVP.

For a very long time, ethugs have been running their cheat full speed and telling us that anyway, it wouldn't change anything if they didn't use it, because they are just that good; or that anyway, that illegal program does not give "such a big" advantage.

WHY WOULD YOU USE IT THEN????

Fact is good player, bad player, pvper, pvmer, role player; if you used a program deemed illegal by the RoC that you signed when you joined UO, you are most likely going to see your account banned.

It's not this thread that is going to be deleted, it's the account of the players that have been greifing the whole UO community for years.

As mentionned earlier: good *BEEP* riddance! Unlike what the cheating players pretend, taking care of cheating is not going to bring UO on it's knees, I am 100% that it's going to give it the boost it needed to make an other 13 years!

HA!

im sure 90% of the people who play this game didnt bother reading the rules, just scroll down and click accept. HA

Jove

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do you think the tram players don't play in Fel? Its not because we don't want to, obviously there are alot of benifits to fel playing but we have choosen not to because of the attitudes and the overall effects that your hacks have caused. Maybe fel will see an increase of players because of this. I for one am thinking that maybe I shall venture to fel more now that the playing field will finally be leveled.... Oh I'm sure I will still die to pvpers but I won't resent it so much knowing that your no longer allowed to cheat...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!

R

ReaperNI

WHATS AGGRESSIVE ABOUT CAPS? just because word are in upper case doesnt give any means more then exactly what it is. This somehow mental connection that makes people somehow imagine people screaming in their heads i think is funny. if i wish to express a emotion i would have done with either puncuation (which i dont use alot of lol) or some form of e-emotion ex: :) or :p

the point of my caps were to draw the attention of the people that were looking through these posts to my valid points and to set my post apart from the babble of high fives people were giving themselves.

So if you felt some what scared from my post then clearly it was self thought up.

And Nastia i lost you somewhere after law firm you started talking that smart people talk and i got lost lol

L

longshanks

"Natural PVP Talent." :lol::lol::lol: Dude, go outside and get some fresh air... LMAO

You start paying peoples subscriptions first, than dictate how they want to play. Also take a look at the 1st amendment before you start telling people what to say.

Epic fail.

Ban them all I say, do it publicly.

This reminds me of the end of the steroid era in baseball. It was clearly there for the eyes to see who was playing on the up and up and who was not.

You danced. Now pay the fiddler.

N

Nastia Cross

And Nastia i lost you somewhere after law firm you started talking that smart people talk and i got lost lol
LOL sorry.. I read, draft and edit legal documents all day its hard to switch that off, especially when I read things like this while at work. Bottom line is that the TOS states that all software and data from EA is copyrighted and subject to all US copyright laws. Kind of like the Napster case where people were illegally uploading and sharing songs from cds they've purchased. Just because you play the game does not mean you have a license to distribute data. They may overlook it simply because its not a major infraction, but it is still illegal.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Funky example, just want to here what people have to say about this:

If there was a law that you couldn't drive over 65 miles per hour, but never saw a cop on the highway for 10 years, would you set ur cruise at 65? i doubt that... hell, ur still a cheater if u set it at 75(unattended macroing?) u just didn't cheat much, and then u have the people cruising at 120(dupers, mass scripters, speed hackers) You are the guy that was driving at 75, and you suddenly realized, all your coworkers were getting to work in 15minutes and it took u 30minutes, and the boss was impressed with them showing up early everyday. So you say, screw it, no ones doing anything about it, and you throttle to 100. those people hitting 120 that should have been picked up 100 times over, but never did, and now they are getting punished. Because a few weeks ago, the county setup speed cameras.

They didnt recieve a letter in the mail or anything, and 100s of people are picked up at their house and sentenced to the death penalty. By your definition, you could say, oh hey, its been on the news that they put those cameras up for two months. You think, ehh, the county does thing son the cheap, they are prolly decoys anyways, the county has a track record for that sort of thing. So what do u then say to the guy that doesn't watch tv? What do you say to the guy that was trying to be equal? What do you say to the guy overall, that was driving 60 to play it safe, was screwed over for 10 years, and now hes a hero? did the play it safe guy really win? too little too late?

just want to hear what you guys think.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct on name. Correct on SX. VIP was a different guild when most of the players in SX quit UO.

I don't know who you are but I will gladly reactivate my account tonight, transfer to whatever shard you are on, take off all my armor except my clothing (and jewelry), let you page a GM before the fight starts and beat you repeatedly until you get a canned response that nothing will happen to me.

Are you up for the challenge?

Pray that this is not happening... because I may just come back to set the east coast back in their place.
LMFAO...

Yes...I would put money on Goose. He had me with a flawless victory last time he logged in!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Um...look in the mirror...you have been breaking the ToS in game and on the forums for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.