• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Bans are happening in droves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The stupidity of everything you said is astounding. I was criticizing his statement not the relevance or closeness of his analogy. You then proceeded to throw around more terms you don't understand emphasizing my point that many of the posters here are clueless.
...ok so I misread your statement, easy to change. But assuming I don't understand terms I am using? Lol! I think it is you who are clueless.

A

AesSedai

The stupidity of everything you said is astounding. I was criticizing his statement not the relevance or closeness of his analogy. You then proceeded to throw around more terms you don't understand emphasizing my point that many of the posters here are clueless.
- I disagree.

The rule-breakers are coming in droves
:)) 'makes me happy; just a glimpse of trouble doth strike fear, and perchance an inkling of anxious testosterone, amongst some denizens.. aye, it is quite soothing to see rule-breakers squirm; indeed)

...---...

I will be happy this day that EA puts some of its money (UO code) where its mouth (rules) is...

L

Luke Carjacker

I'm going to give a slightly different perspective on why I don't think eliminating cheating in PvP will kill membership in UO. The reason I believe this is because I agree with what some of the PvPers have said, that the elite PvPers do not need hacks or scripts to kill 98% of the other folks in UO. I've fought with and against some of the best, and I while I'm decent and can hold my own in most situations, I do know real skill when I see it. The simple fact is that these really elite people do not need cheats of any kind to kill someone like me (and I want to point out again, I'm pretty good).

But the fact remains that there are people that do cheat, whether through using speedhacks or one of the scripting programs (I guess I'm not supposed to mention any by name), or some sort of client modifier (like the UO Assist substitute). I think that they cheat in order to compete with the other elite PvPers, but I totally agree that they don't need their cheats to kill the vast majority of people in the game.

Now, if UO were to successfully eliminate such cheats, I think a lot of those people would remain in the game, and still be among the top PvPers without cheats. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but that's the virtual world I'd like to see. Where, after a fight people didn't rant on-and-on about you cheat, you speed, you script, etc. I don't believe that these people will necessarily quit UO because they can't cheat. If the word gets out that cheaters will be banned, I think they'll stick around and find a way to be elite with cheating.

Now script resource gathering...I do wish they'd do something about that but it looks like they haven't yet.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One guy says people are getting banned left and right, yet not a single other person can say they heard of someone being banned?

Sounds like a false alarm.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got thrown in jail today, but I haven't heard of anyone getting banned.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now script resource gathering...I do wish they'd do something about that but it looks like they haven't yet.
This is probably the attention-getter, the fabled slap-upside-the-head. They may want to see how many players are swift enough to catch on that *now* is the time to stop cheating and start following the rules.

Those that are not swift enough to decide it's time to start following the rules can always be gotten the next batch.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For unattended macroing today. It was a warning though. A warning i did not receive in game but through email.

U

UOKaiser

Whatevers.

I'm sick of people thinking that if all the cheaters are gone, all of a sudden they can PvP again.

Fact of the matter is, if you quit PvPing because people were using cheats, you were never good enough to hold your own and PvP in the first place.

Don't make excuses for yourself.
I wish you had a like button. I like this post :)

U

UOKaiser

For unattended macroing today. It was a warning though. A warning i did not receive in game but through email.
Which makes no sense as if you are attended then they had to check up on you and not blindly just send emails without finding out if your unattended.

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which makes no sense as if you are attended then they had to check up on you and not blindly just send emails without finding out if your unattended.
You must have missed the post where I said I was in jail. However, please allow me to type out a long description of what actually happened...for you!

I was unattended macroing, and I don't care that I did it. When I returned 12 hours later (LOL) I was in jail. However, usually you have a little red dot or something letting you know that you were caught. This time I had nothing. I was wondering why I was not banned so I checked email. Inside my email I had a warning which stated I violated TOS.

Jail is cool though!

U

UOKaiser

I'm going to give a slightly different perspective on why I don't think eliminating cheating in PvP will kill membership in UO. The reason I believe this is because I agree with what some of the PvPers have said, that the elite PvPers do not need hacks or scripts to kill 98% of the other folks in UO. I've fought with and against some of the best, and I while I'm decent and can hold my own in most situations, I do know real skill when I see it. The simple fact is that these really elite people do not need cheats of any kind to kill someone like me (and I want to point out again, I'm pretty good).

But the fact remains that there are people that do cheat, whether through using speedhacks or one of the scripting programs (I guess I'm not supposed to mention any by name), or some sort of client modifier (like the UO Assist substitute). I think that they cheat in order to compete with the other elite PvPers, but I totally agree that they don't need their cheats to kill the vast majority of people in the game.

Now, if UO were to successfully eliminate such cheats, I think a lot of those people would remain in the game, and still be among the top PvPers without cheats. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but that's the virtual world I'd like to see. Where, after a fight people didn't rant on-and-on about you cheat, you speed, you script, etc. I don't believe that these people will necessarily quit UO because they can't cheat. If the word gets out that cheaters will be banned, I think they'll stick around and find a way to be elite with cheating.

The better ones will remain in the game because no good pvper uses scripts. Though there weak opponents will be gone from the game. So they might not have too many people to go against.Anyway I beleive the OP post once I see the population decline immensely which it has anyway over time but more dramatic decrease in a week time from now as mostly all players I know uses some sort of script or uoassit alternative to play certain parts of UO. Not to mention gaming keyboard and mouses to do complex macro loops that can easily be used to unattend.

U

UOKaiser

You must have missed the post where I said I was in jail. However, please allow me to type out a long description of what actually happened...for you!

I was unattended macroing, and I don't care that I did it. When I returned 12 hours later (LOL) I was in jail. However, usually you have a little red dot or something letting you know that you were caught. This time I had nothing. I was wondering why I was not banned so I checked email. Inside my email I had a warning which stated I violated TOS.

Jail is cool though!
Oh ok. So they did check up on you. That was what I was curious about if they just assume and didn't bother to ask you the color of your robe or other mondain questions.

EDA_GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatevers.

I'm sick of people thinking that if all the cheaters are gone, all of a sudden they can PvP again.

Fact of the matter is, if you quit PvPing because people were using cheats, you were never good enough to hold your own and PvP in the first place.

It wasn't that I couldnt hang with the cheaters, it was the fact that they were at least 50% harder to get the final blow on them (from their extra 'skill' from hitting a GOGO button). I'm not sure how they are rolling out the bannings, as far as shard selection....but I'm REALLY suprised that they are actually doing it.:thumbup1:

A

A Bad Player

One guy says people are getting banned left and right, yet not a single other person can say they heard of someone being banned?

Sounds like a false alarm.
I'm glad that apparently everyone has skipped my posts about being banned and knowing about 6 other people (of course I'm not tossing out names, thats not my place). It doesn't get more "eye-witness" than getting the email saying you've been perma banned mid-fight!

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatevers.

Well said Sir! well said!
All this.....:thumbup1:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In response to A bad Player....

I have seen your posts. I'm not doubting you. The thing is 100 or a 100 players can come on here and say they got banned and you have the few that still claim its not true or somebody is blowing smoke. They havent heard of anybody they know or somebody that knows somebody so its not true until they have that tangent evidence they are seeking to believe.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hrm,

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the banning.. But being a idocer, I found 4 houses this week with the infamous commodity box on the step along with a chest of over 2 million stones in it on all 4 houses. Two in tram and two in fel.

It is pretty rare on my shard at least to find obvious script mining/lumberjacking houses like this going idoc. Much less 4 in the same week.

U

UOKaiser

Hrm,

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the banning.. But being a idocer, I found 4 houses this week with the infamous commodity box on the step along with a chest of over 2 million stones in it on all 4 houses. Two in tram and two in fel.

It is pretty rare on my shard at least to find obvious script mining/lumberjacking houses like this going idoc. Much less 4 in the same week.
I say lucky. But not obvious as anybody in Uo that gathers any type of resource has chest on steps or else they going to have to walk in and that is annoying. I have 2 boxes 1 with over 3 mil stones and other with 9mil stones which is ore and logs and ore weights quite a bit. 2mil ore translates to about 333k ingots. Probably mostly iron. Which is roughly 2mil gold value.

Most likely not related.But who knows.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Absolute nonesense. Heres an analogy for you...

Remember back in the day when sprinter Carl Lewis was the fastest man in the world? Only he lost the 100m Olympic final to Ben Johnson. Not because he "was never good enough to hold his own", but because the other guy cheated.

The difference is that whereas the Olympic comittee immediately banned Ben Johnson, cheats in UO have been allowed to run rampant (excuse the pun) for years. Had Ben Johnson been allowed to continue cheating then I'm sure Carl Lewis and a lot of other athletes would have quit the sport ... not because they were "never good enough to hold their own", but because they cant compete with someone who cheats all of the time.

Or how about if an NBA team that was allowed to field 6 players on the pitch every game? When they went the entire season unbeaten do you think the rest of the teams would happily continue playing? Not because "they were never good enough to hold their own" but ... well ... you get the idea.

Like I said ... your statement is absolute nonesense.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A reminder to all:

You may not name people you believe to be cheaters
Reasons:

• you may be mistaken,
  • names are not unique in UO
  • People have been known to copy characters
  • some people lie.

You may not name unapproved 3rd party programs
These are in breach of EA's Terms of service, naming them is a breach of our rules of conduct.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmm...I smell a good amount of bull spit here. I know someone..no names mentioned..who has been multi-client UMing for 4 weeks straight and is still doing it right now. Still in game on all clients.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmmm...I smell a good amount of bull spit here. I know someone..no names mentioned..who has been multi-client UMing for 4 weeks straight and is still doing it right now. Still in game on all clients.

Well could be random bannings. We dont know and the Devs arent going to spil the beans why and whom or how they are doing it. Maybe trying to send a message to the community who knows.....

R

ress me plz

If you ban some people in Europa, our shard will die...is too low popoulated :/

V

Victory Dance

Jail is cool though!
lol! god your such a naughty neighbor

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
odd all my afk miners are still mining hmm.. o well.
yep seen them all day, This perma ban, is complete smoke, theres nothing going on. Ive spoken to friends who use these "DASTARDLY, Game Ruining" programs and one has 4 accounts running from server up, to server down and has had them going for months, You would of figured he would of been on the "top" but nothing, This is all smoke and mirrors.

Hmmm.... if that is the case then it is not good news.......

Perhaps it is time now that some official representative says something on the topic ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Ilot, I bet there are more scripters out there than legal players , this game is going to be empty soon if the bannings are true. Just a call for Devs, raising a skill is EXTREMELY BORING in this game, keep that in mind .

Well, I think I remember a comment from Cal that by looking at the now famous spreadsheet he said it was nothing not manageable.

It can be read in many ways, I guess but to me it hints that bans can come and UO can cope with them because the problem is manageable........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatevers.

It does not matter.

The problem of PvP in UO is too few people willing to even get close to it and other players cheating, IS a factor to many, to stay well away from PvP.

Should Ultima Online finally be freed by the cheating curse, chances are, as I see it, that more people will finally be willing to try PvP out and Uo can only benefit from this.

So, whether cheating has any real impact or not in PvP the perception that many players do have of PvP being affected by cheating DOES have a negative impact on PvP.

So, is my thinking, freeing Ultima Onlina of cheating would be a good thing for the game, its economy and also for PvP.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think those of you who think this is all just smoke ...are wrong.

All cheaters should grant co-ownership to someone who doesn't use third-party programs, just in case.

Does anyone know if they are only banning the offending account or does it include every account owned by that person?

BlissMarie
Two people I've asked have only had one of several of their accounts banned. I was dumb and immediately hopped on my second acct and paged asking wtf was going on so that one got banned when I got close to qeue.

And a side note, granting co-ownership to your house doesn't matter. They cleared all access and co-own lists on my houses.

What if a resources/BODs/Library collectibles scripter has been using account A to get all of the goodies and has then moved them into possession of account B (House owned by an account not used for scripting) ?

Banning only the account A used for scripting will not really hurt much the scripter, all of the stuff got through scripting will still be fully enjoyable with account B.....

How are they going to deal with this ?

I hope that whomever is in charge to investigate suspicious accounts does some IP checking and good investigative work to relate accounts that script with accounts that do not script but benefit largely from the scripting.......

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And a side note, granting co-ownership to your house doesn't matter. They cleared all access and co-own lists on my houses.
They're making it very difficult to retrieve your ill-gotten gains. Wonder if the stuff will disappear with the houses to make sure it's gone.

Nice to know they are being serious about this. :)

I think the all House with contents should be simply deleted. No IDOC.

Scripts or dupes where used to create all those items in quantity ?

Well, then I think much of those items entered in UO with an illegal activity and they should not be in the world in the first place.

Hence, just simply delete them, no IDOC.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Non-enforcement does not change illegality, for when it finally is enforced.

Let's just hope they continue and follow through. That is what was lacking previously. Banning a handful of people here and there does nothing.

I agree.

I can make a wonderfull garden with a great expenditure of work and sweat but if I do not do any maintainance, in a short while it will go weeds and mess once again.

A good one time clean up of cheaters is important, but past this the daily upkeep and maintainance of the game freeing it from cheaters that may show up is also very important or they will build up again, eventually.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but that's the virtual world I'd like to see. Where, after a fight people didn't rant on-and-on about you cheat, you speed, you script, etc.

Yes, I think that is the point.

If Ultima Online will finally become a game where cheating is NOT possible, then a victory in PvP will be worth a LOT more because players will know, without a doubt, that it was a clean victory gotten through skills.

PvP and the whole game and its economy, as I see it, can only get better days, MUCH better days, IMHO, when scripting and hacking will be eliminated from it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm,

I am probably totally naive and clueless but out of curiosity, why on earth a commodity box on a House steps should hint to a scripter ?

I do not see the logic.....

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatevers.

nobody said anything close to what you're "thinking."
nobody said people will 'pvp again' if cheaters are gone... nobody. people will continue to pvp and spawn and everything else that entails 'pvp' only this time the cheaters will be gone.
you're obviously trying to deflect and/or hide something imho.
everyone knows there are people with skills in the game. fact of the matter is some of those skilled players also cheat, we've all seen it and know some of their names well. there are also not so skilled people that cheat... bottom line they all need to go, period.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Who knows, maybe they have a checklist and are going through it one name at a time ?

Who knows.......

I guess if action is finally being taken against cheaters one way or the other we will finally get to know it.

Speaking about it, has anyone of those who has been jailed or banned received the punishment for scripting resources or BODs or other ?

So far, all I have been able to read was about some unspecified "character advancement".

I am trying to understand whether here the issue is the use of illegal third party utilities that allow the scripting (which can be done for skills or to gather resources or in PvP with medic scripts and so forth) or whether unattended character advancement exclusively was targeted.

If the latter is the case, and only people macroing skills unattended have so far been punished well, this astonishes me to say the least as while it being still illegal, I see this as the very least of the evils.

Scripts and hacks which kill the economy, PvP and ruin other players game play are by far a worse curse for the game and it would surprise me a whole lot to learn that they started targeting the smaller problem before going after the real core of the issue with cheating in UO, scripting for resources/PvP and hacking in PvP.....

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't read too much into the fact that some cheats are still about and certain types of cheating seem to be getting past the radar. Chances are they're making their way through the cheats and fine tuning the detector as they go. In other words taking care that the thing is working rather than presuming it's fine and mass banning. Much as I want cheaters gone, I don't want real innocent players wrongly banned and neither do the devs.

But, if anyone's concerned about a particular cheat or thinks their bots are invulnerable...you can always page a GM and see what happens ;)

Wenchy

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see no one here saying they got banned, so untill they do come here and tell us tehy got banned for scritping i dont beleve it.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I think that is the point.

If Ultima Online will finally become a game where cheating is NOT possible, then a victory in PvP will be worth a LOT more because players will know, without a doubt, that it was a clean victory gotten through skills.
No, you will know that you were defeated by keyboard macros, advanced hardware and other unfair advantages.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the latter is the case, and only people macroing skills unattended have so far been punished well, this astonishes me to say the least as while it being still illegal, I see this as the very least of the evils.
They may well assume that coming down on the smaller problem will risk losing fewer players.

This is announcing to the bigger groups of cheaters that Marshal Cal has rode into town and that it's time to duck & be good, or else.

The jail, or gallows winds up less crowded this way.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
actually middle of a pvp battle last night nearly half a guild disappeared mid spell cast. Banned. icqs of all those opponents were banned perma. most of the people banned are claiming they were perma banned.
Honestly, as much as I would appreciate action against cheaters, this sounds like it is a very strong exaggeration.
First, I very much doubt that EA would ban half a guild at exactly the same time. Second, EA cannot ban ICQ, because ICQ is run by a different company and has nothing to do with UO whatsoever. Third, I believe the statement "The Bans are happening in droves!" just as much as the statement "The doom of UO is near, EA is shutting down the game". Fourth, EA doesn't ban people without a warning. If I remember correctly, Cal even stated that those who are caught using illegal apps will receive a warning and further action will be taken if they are caught again.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hawkeye, stop trying to inject reason into this debate! lol :p

R

ReaperNI

ALRIGHT HERE IT IS. MANY FRIENDS AND FOES OF MINE HAVE BEEN BANNED FOR USING CHEAT ENGINE IN FACT THE ONE GUY TOLD ME HE WAS PULLED INTO THE JAIL AND THE EA REPRESENTIVE SAID THAT THEY COULDNT BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE HE BANNED FOR USING PROGRAMS. AND YES I KNOW THE PEOPLE THAT GOT BANNED MID FIGHT. THESE BANNINGS ARE PERMA.

I KILLED 3 BLUES MAGES VS MY ONE ARCHER SO YOU TRAMMIES CRYING HACKS STILL SUCK. AND ID LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT COMPLAINED ABOUT CHEATS CAUSE YOUR TO DUMB TO REALIZE THAT IT AFFECTS EVERYONE. 1) LESS PEOPLE ON THE SHARD TO PLAY WITH/AGAINST 2)OVERALL NUMBER OF SUBSCRIPTIONS THAT UO HAS.THANKS FOR HITTING THE TURBO ON UO WAY TO GETTING THE PLUG PULLED FOR LOW SUBSCRIPTIONS.

R

ReaperNI

AND YES HALF A GUILD WAS BANNED AT THE SAME TIME ON ATL DURING A HARRY FIGHT.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AND ID LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT COMPLAINED ABOUT CHEATS CAUSE YOUR TO DUMB TO REALIZE THAT IT AFFECTS EVERYONE. 1) LESS PEOPLE ON THE SHARD TO PLAY WITH/AGAINST 2)OVERALL NUMBER OF SUBSCRIPTIONS THAT UO HAS.THANKS FOR HITTING THE TURBO ON UO WAY TO GETTING THE PLUG PULLED FOR LOW SUBSCRIPTIONS.
I had many doubts whether I should answer this. Let me just say this: People who say that bans hurt the game because it reduces shard population must be very short-sighted.

And there we go again: "UO WAY TO GETTING THE PLUG PULLED"
I guess I need not comment that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.